Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

You could throw it at a burglar! If they're close, hold onto the cord so you can pull it back and throw it again. If they grab the cord, let them have it and be sure and tell police they attacked you with an iron.

• Love 8

I love ironing.  I used to do it for money when I was a teenager, and that was before the invention of steam irons.  We sprinkled the clothes (and sheets and handkerchiefs and dish towels and pillow cases etc.) with water, rolled them up, and then hurried to finish before we had to sprinkle again.  If you waited too long, especially in humid weather, things could get mildewed.  (Yeah, this was also before A/C.)

I remember being appalled at a friend who paid $6 for a permanent press blouse.  "But it doesn't need ironing!"  "Yeah, but six bucks for a blouse?" 

My least favorite chore is mopping floors.

• Love 6

When my boys were small, I had the ideal setup for doing the ironing.  On a sunny, breezy day, I'd put the boys in the backyard, the ironing board on the patio, the TV next to the sliding glass door, and my bathing suit on my bod.  In that way, I did the ironing while keeping an eye on the boys, the other eye on "my soaps", and got a great tan all at the same time.  Multi-tasking to the max!

• Love 14

I like washing dishes. When I was a kid it was my chore. My dad enjoyed doing it because it was his "me time" before anyone coined the phrase. So he taught my rambunctious self the same thing. Almost like meditation.

In addition, every once in a while I can look out the window and yell at the deer that are walking through my property.

• Love 4

When I was a kid, every Wednesday night I was supposed to do the dishes because my mom had to go to choir practice. I was (and am) a great procrastinator when it comes to chores and my Dad would get tired of waiting for me to do it, so he'd do the dishes himself.  He LOVED taking Brillo to the outside of the pots. My mom always knew when I had slacked off & Dad did the dishes because the pots were SO damn shiny. I think of him every time I shine up my pots.

• Love 12
On April 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM, mojoween said:

I’m so cold all the time I would probably like wearing gloves at night; I’ll have to try the cuticle oil and Neutrogena.  I’ve been using Gold Bond which is fantastic for helping tattoos heal but isn’t doing a damn thing for my hands.

Curious minds want to know. Have you been taking care of your cuticles and hands after our advice? Hope you are seeing improvement! I'm doing mine now and it's so relaxing. Don't you just love a good hand or foot rub?

On 4/8/2018 at 4:42 PM, mojoween said:

I’m so cold all the time I would probably like wearing gloves at night; I’ll have to try the cuticle oil and Neutrogena.

If my sister feels a cold coming on she wears a pair of wet socks covered by a pair of dry ones when she goes to bed.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Does it help?

15 hours ago, Brookside said:

If my sister feels a cold coming on she wears a pair of wet socks covered by a pair of dry ones when she goes to bed.

She swears it does, but I've never tried it - sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What is the thinking behind that?

I've never heard of that, but I have heard of people who swear by covering the bottom of your feet with Vapo-Rub and putting socks on before bed.  My doctor says the only thing you may gain from it is irritated feet.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2018 at 12:33 PM, peacheslatour said:

What is the thinking behind that?

No idea.  Maybe your body puts all its energy into drying the socks so has none left for cultivating the cold?  (I suppose I do have an idea after all, but I'm really just making stuff up!)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

No idea.  Maybe your body puts all its energy into drying the socks so has none left for cultivating the cold?  (I suppose I do have an idea after all, but I'm really just making stuff up!)

But your body doesn't cultivate the cold; it fights the cold.  What would cultivate the cold (as in help it to thrive) would be to divert resources away from your immune system.

I saw this interview with John Malkovich years ago, and he suggested that when you firs feel a cold coming on, you should take the filter off a cigarette and smoke the cigarette.  He said it jump started the immune system.  Okay then!

• Love 2

Ha!  I didn’t even notice the kitty at first!

I was blinded by the looming penis, which as terrible as it is all I could think of was when the Great Pumpkin rises up from the pumpkin patch.

• Love 8

So I was recently in the hospital with a blood clot in my left leg and clots in both lungs. Yeah, fun all around. And this is my second time at the blood clot rodeo. I was put on Warfarin the first time (I'm already starting to sound like one of those commercials I hate!) in 2011 and took it for six months. I begged my doctor to let me stop taking it. What if I got into a car accident? What if I needed emergency surgery? And here I am again on blood thinners, this time the drug that rhymes with Melequis. First of all, I'm uninsured (or "self-paying" as they're calling us now.) I'm applying for financial assistance for my hospital stay and I hope I get it. I work at a small town newspaper and I would say I work for peanuts, but I don't even make that much. Anyway, the drug that I'm taking now costs over $400 and it's not available in generic form. I saw a commercial for it tonight and gritted my teeth while watching because the advertising is part of the reason why it's so pricey. It's just astounding how the pharmaceutical companies are allowed to inflate the prices of drugs just because they can. I have another disclaimer for that commercial for this particular blood thinner that rhymes with Melequis: "Don't take if you already have trouble making ends meet." FU, Big Pharma.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I was put on Warfarin the first time (I'm already starting to sound like one of those commercials I hate!) in 2011 and took it for six months. I begged my doctor to let me stop taking it. What if I got into a car accident? What if I needed emergency surgery? And here I am again on blood thinners, this time the drug that rhymes with Melequis.

Isn't Warfarin the one that, should you get in an accident or need emergency surgery, can have its blood thinning effects halted via vitamin K, while Eliquis is among those that some find does a better job of keeping their INR regulated (e.g. without having to keep, to the microgram, one's intake of vitamin K, alcohol, etc. equal each day) but cannot quickly be reversed in the event of an emergency?  It has been a while since I needed to look into it, but when I did, no doctor would prescribe a Warfarin alternative unless the patient truly couldn't take the Warfarin and thus wasn't getting the proper anticoagulant benefit out of it anyway, because the consequences could be so dire in the event of an emergency.

• Love 1

Back in '09, when my mom had her final fall that broke her hip, it happened on a Tuesday night and they couldn't operate on her until Friday late afternoon because of the warfarin.  She also had to wait a number of days in the hospital while they shot her up with Vitamin K before they could replace her pacemaker battery.  When I worked for a dental office, we had to call & remind our warfarin patients to stop taking it 3 days prior to their dental visit. It's horrible stuff.  (But you won't be bothered by mosquitoes.)

• Love 1

When my dad was first diagnosed with a blood clot in his leg the doctor put him on Xarelto- $770.00 for one month. We didn't have his insurance info with us so we went to "his" restaurant and got it from him. Went down to $49.00. It's insane.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Warfarin = rat poison, and it is VERY effective.  They don’t sell it for rats and mice anymore because it’s so dangerous.

Warfarin is also medicine.  A very effective blood thinner, taken as directed.  It kills rats because it thins their blood.

2 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Warfarin is also medicine.  A very effective blood thinner, taken as directed.  It kills rats because it thins their blood.

Yep. The dose makes the poison, like so many things (Botox, for example).

• Love 1
(edited)

Can't you take cheap ol' Warfarin anymore?  It does the same thing, right?

To go on Warfarin, I would have required a longer hospital stay because evidently it's not just something that they can hand you and send you on your way. Going on Warfarin requires an often extended hospital stay and lots of testing, and being uninsured, they wanted me outta there as soon as possible, I'm sure. The doctors kept asking me why I thought I was having a clotting issue for the second time in seven years and I told them each time was preceded by an extended illness in which I was pretty much immobile. In 2011, I had a really bad case of the flu and was taking a lot of ibuprofen to keep my high fever down. This time, same thing. I was pretty much in bed or asleep on the couch for almost a week and treating my fever with ibuprofen. That's just too much of a coincidence to not be considered. The doctors didn't give my theory much credence, but a kind RN (who shared my real first name) thought that it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that my flu and ibuprofen combo could have led to clots.

I have to give mad props to the attending RN in the ER the night before I was admitted who told me, "You better get that heart rate down." Like she expected me to shame my heart with a Prince lyric. "Baby, you're much too fast. Yes, you are."

Edited by mmecorday
me and my are not the same word
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

To go on Warfarin, I would have required a longer hospital stay because evidently it's not just something that they can hand you and send you on your way.

No, they can.  Obviously not in your situation, but not everyone who needs it has to be hospitalized; some can be given a prescription for a starting dose, have their INR tested after a couple of days, and lather, rinse, repeat with incremental adjustments and testing until the correct dose is fine-tuned (and then there's monitoring - at longer and longer intervals, if all goes well - to make sure that remains the right dose).  Some people have a very hard time keeping regulated without - or even with! - being hyper-vigilant about keeping their vitamin K and alcohol intake virtually the same from day to day, and for those people the alternative medications are a better option despite the downsides; better something that actually works on a daily basis even though it causes a problem in the event of an emergency that may never happen.  Whereas with those for whom either will work daily, better to go with the one that's easier to blunt in an emergency.

Again, based on my understanding from research several years ago (when my dad was diagnosed with a-fib), but from idle chatter with doctors, it seems to still be the rule of thumb; Warfarin if possible, one of the alternatives if that's not realistically going to work given the patient's total set of circumstances.

• Love 1

Ibuprofen slows blood clotting, according to Dr. Google. Could there be another factor? I'm wondering if maybe the immobility due to illness facilitated clotting. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

I found out that the patient assistance programs are pretty good with income levels, especially if you don't have prescription coverage (ours doesn't kick in until we hit $10,000, which we never hit).  I get some of our diabetes meds that way.  It's a pain to get the forms together, but once you're approved, you're good for a year, and meds are mailed directly to you.

• Love 1