Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

I bought a new build in 1992 that had carpet in the ensuite bathroom. It had a water closet that had tile.  It was a large bathroom with walk in shower, whirlpool tub, double sinks and a make-up area. I figured the builder did it to save money since carpeting over subflooring was cheaper than tile.

3 hours ago, janie jones said:

Was the cake itself orange and green, or just the frosting?

The first time I ever heard of carpet being in a bathroom was when I saw the movie Sexy Beast, and Ben Kingsley peed on someone's bathroom carpet in an act of aggression.

Carpet in the bathroom just seems impractical. What happens when the toilet overflows? I don't even like those rugs that hug the toilet, or even one in front of the sink. We just have one next to the shower to catch drips.

We've never had the toilet overflow but we can just pull it up and throw it in the washer. Plus they're cheap enough that we can replace them frequently.

13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We've never had the toilet overflow but we can just pull it up and throw it in the washer. Plus they're cheap enough that we can replace them frequently.

Rugs in the bathroom are typical.  It's wall-to-wall carpeting that's weird.  That's how my bathroom was when I was little, and I'm sure that was nice on my knees when I was crawling (I used to crawl to the bathroom every time I heard my parents start the tub, apparently), but my parents replaced it with linoleum and later tile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yellow cake, orange base frosting, green frosting trim & lettering.

In the late eighties, Ghostbusters s was still all the rage. I sent Hostess Twinkies with filling that was green to my son's hoity toity preschool on treat day. Nobody would touch them.

image.png.2e7f3bcbe0402cab8094dea59530c964.png

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)

The Christmas in July started at Yellowstone, originally in August, when people were snowed in during a snow storm, and later they moved it to July Christmas every year, or at least did.   

Then, people like Hallmark channel started showing the Christmas movies for July, and other channels started doing it too.   Now, it's everywhere.   The big box hardware, and Walmarts open their Christmas shops very early.  I've seen some things after Labor Day, but by October, the Christmas sections are fully stocked. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Sad 3
16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

NOW it's not just Xmas in July - it's also Black Friday in July.

I think the addition of another Black Friday is intended to combat when Amazon has it's big sale.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, cynicat said:

I think the addition of another Black Friday is intended to combat when Amazon has it's big sale.

Agree! I think that is a very big part of it!

• Like 1

"It bugs me because I have never in my life, met a kid who wanted mushrooms on their pizza.

Me and two of my siblings.  And I met lots of kids in Italy who wanted fungi pizza."

Replying to the above quotes, don't know how to quote and move to another topic.  Anyway, my family used to go to Pizza Hut when we were children. My older brother used to tease me about how I was eating fungus on my pizza.  I'd get mad and say, "Stop it, stop it."  Still love mushrooms and my annoying brother. 😄

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

Replying to the above quotes, don't know how to quote and move to another topic. 

Use the multi-quote function (the + symbol to the left of the " symbol*) -- you select the post(s) you want to quote elsewhere by clicking on that symbol in the post(s) to be quoted, then navigate to the thread you want to quote it/them in, and a little pop-up saying "Quote 1 post/2 posts/etc." will follow you; just click on that and it will create a reply for you.

*On the regular site; if it's different on an app, mobile, whatever, I don't know, so just look for the +.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

From the Annoying thread, continuing the discussion of driving around to get babies to fall asleep...

When I was a babe, nobody knew about driving around, so parents would be up all night, walking the pram with baby around the house.  My parents were fortunate in that we lived on the first floor of our house and my mom's parents lived on the second floor.  Nana's dad lived with us, too, so there were four generations in our house.

Gagi, my great-grandpa, LOVED tending to me. He was the one who would spend all night walking me around.  Although, Mom used to tell the story that when I was nearing birth, Gagi went off to stay with another daughter and only came back after the brouhaha of birth was over.  He wanted no part of that, so he lit out for quieter places. He had no idea there were drugs and minimal screaming now. LOL.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how one "teaches" a baby to go to sleep. They're babies - you can't sit them down and try logic! I suppose there is the put them to bed and just let them scream until they eventually go to sleep school. That seems cruel for everyone. As my stepdaughter said - the most important thing is everyone gets a good night's sleep. If walking them or driving them works, I don't see any harm in that. And it sure isn't lazy.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
57 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I'm not sure how one "teaches" a baby to go to sleep. They're babies - you can't sit them down and try logic! I suppose there is the put them to bed and just let them scream until they eventually go to sleep school. That seems cruel for everyone. As my stepdaughter said - the most important thing is everyone gets a good night's sleep. If walking them or driving them works, I don't see any harm in that. And it sure isn't lazy.

We had an electric swing. We would put our son in it, turn it on and he would almost instantly fall asleep. We decided to use it very sparingly because it almost felt like we were giving him drugs. It worked almost too well.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

My problem with the commercial is there is nothing wrong with the windshield that would keep them from using the car. It's not shattered. It's a small little crack. On the passenger side. Nothing wrong with it that couldn't wait til tomorrow. Or longer. I drove with a huge honking crack down the middle of the windshield for years. Couldn't afford to get it fixed.

I'm surprised you were able to pass State Inspection, but maybe you live where that's not a thing.

How do they get it replaced for free is what I always want to know. 

Depending on your insurance, sometimes they waive the deductible under some circumstances.  But if you don't have Comprehensive coverage (which often makes sense when you compare the cost of premiums vs potential payout), you may be ahead of the game anyway.  Also - you may want to get a recommendation from your insurer even if it isn't covered.  Mine sent me to a local place whose rates seemed to be about half of the "big well advertised chain".

And they all look so surprised when they go to the car and see a crack of star. Why? Didn't you see or hear whatever rock or whatever it was smack your windshield?  It didn't happen in the driveway or parking lot. 

I can sorta vouch for them - I've had rocks hit me with seemingly no effect, and I've had cracks show up out of nowhere.  Probably at least some of those events were connected, though.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm surprised you were able to pass State Inspection, but maybe you live where that's not a thing.

Depending on your insurance, sometimes they waive the deductible under some circumstances.  But if you don't have Comprehensive coverage (which often makes sense when you compare the cost of premiums vs potential payout), you may be ahead of the game anyway.  Also - you may want to get a recommendation from your insurer even if it isn't covered.  Mine sent me to a local place whose rates seemed to be about half of the "big well advertised chain".

I can sorta vouch for them - I've had rocks hit me with seemingly no effect, and I've had cracks show up out of nowhere.  Probably at least some of those events were connected, though.

I have no idea how I managed to respond in two different threads. Lol 

State inspection wasn't a problem. It wasn't in my line of sight. So it was OK.  Yeah, I've never had anything but minimum liability so maybe that's why I was confused. But at the time, $300.00 for a new windshield was out of the question. Might as well have been 3 million dollars. 

I've never had a crack or star show up after the fact like that. I've had them spread overnight if it was cold though. Learned something new today.  😊

• Like 2

I've used Safelite 2 times, years ago, and been happy with them. Both times it was covered by insurance. A small crack can turn into a bigger problem. This was when windshields were just that, windshields. I can't imagine what it would be like with all the electronics built into my current car. Last time we had the small star crack, my husband got a kit at the hardware store that fixes the small ones.

• Like 1

All this talk about cars has made me realize that my car is now old enough to drive, and Mr tv’s car is old enough to drink. I used to joke that I wasn’t getting a new car until it could drive me, but now that’s uncomfortably close. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

I once came out to the parking lot in the morning to discover that my windshield was shattered as if someone had dropped a bowling ball on it. No sign of the cause, although the adjoining building was undergoing renovations so I assume a contractor dropped something heavy from a scaffold and gathered it up before fleeing the scene.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1

All this talk about cars has made me realize that my car is now old enough to drive, and Mr tv’s car is old enough to drink. I used to joke that I wasn’t getting a new car until it could drive me, but now that’s uncomfortably close. 

I will hopefully be driving my 2001 Toyota Corolla until it's old enough to enroll in Medicare. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I had to look this up to be sure, but yeah count me in on the AG art hate.

In my flower shop, I had several lines of greeting cards. One of them used Anne Geddes photos almost exclusively. Women used to ooh and ahh over them and it was all I could do not to roll my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

In my flower shop, I had several lines of greeting cards. One of them used Anne Geddes photos almost exclusively. Women used to ooh and ahh over them and it was all I could do not to roll my eyes

I recall that my obstetrician had those prints in her exam rooms.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This forum used to be in the "My TV Shows" category - stuff I follow. But it's disappeared.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Me.  I was just coming here to see if I was all alone.  I'll ask the question in the Site Business forum unless you or someone else already has.

• Like 2

@Prevailing Wind, I asked in the Site Business forum and yes, this topic will no longer be in My TV Shows.  There was some suggestion of how to follow it now, but I haven't been able to figure that out.  However, since I also follow another topic here in Other TV Talk, it will be easy enough for me to check in.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

It took me a while to figure out what was missing - I first noticed it because "Jeopardy" had shifted a column to the left on the "Shows You Follow."  I have them set up for no notifications, but I went to notifications for commercials & asked for them whenever there's a new post, so I'll get notified. Not as good as seeing a yellow or grey block, but it'll do.

• Like 2

Just a heads up - since the Commercials forum was removed from the home page, if you want to get a popup notification ("immediate notifications") when someone posts in one of its threads, it's not enough to just follow the forum.  You have to follow each individual thread. 

At least that's how it works for me - normally I know there's new content in things I follow when it's showing in bold on my homepage, or for things that don't show up on the homepage, when I get a notification.  But it seems like you have to "follow" at the lowest level.  If you use the forums differently (like, you get to new things by going to your "follows") then this may not affect you.

• Useful 1

To access it from the home page, you go to Other TV Talk (which is under Beyond TV Shows) and click on that; Commercials is the first forum in that section. 

(That's where Everything Else TV is, and that can still be added to our customized home pages, so I don't know why they've taken away the ability to do that with Commercials [nor do I know why they didn't bother to mention this change until asked]).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

The ads for the "Yellowstone" origin series "1883" get the hell on my nerves. I don't have Paramount+, nor will I ever, and the stilted dialogue featured in the ad won't tempt me to fork over money for another streaming service. 

• Like 4

I think they are showing it on the main Paramount network now, so it may be part of your regular cable/television package. We watched the first episode when it aired following Yellowstone when it originally premiered, and it didn't tempt us to pay for Paramount+ to watch the rest of it.

• Like 2
On 8/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, Moose135 said:

I think they are showing it on the main Paramount network now,

Yes, it's on the Paramount cable channel. I usually like Sam Elliott, esp. in Westerns, but I couldn't stand his character here and couldn't get through a whole episode.

• Like 1

All these ads for anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds have got me thinking about folks I know who have been prescribed them and not only not gotten 'cured' but also have such effects as more migraines,etc. while greatly fattening their docs and pharmacists wallets!

Why don't more folks seek out verbal therapy to DEAL with whatever is causing depression and anxiety instead of just numbing it?

It's the Road to Wellville  (1994)all over again!

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I worked with a guy who was bipolar and all the talk therapy in the world wouldn't help. He had a chemical imbalance that could only be treated with drugs.

Yep. Talk therapy can only do so much. There are times when meds are needed be it short term or longer. I take my MH meds because I know how much worse my depression will be without them. Even with coping skills it can be incredibly difficult. The added stigma around mental health medication compared to other meds people need to live their lives that's still around doesn't help matters either. It's especially true when it comes to people who think meds are an easy out and that the person must not have been trying hard enough to live without them.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 13
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Jaded said:

Yep. Talk therapy can only do so much. There are times when meds are needed be it short term or longer. I take my MH meds because I know how much worse my depression will be without them. Even with coping skills it's can be incredibly difficult. The added stigma around mental health medication compared to other meds people need to live their lives that's still around doesn't help matters either. It's especially true when it comes to people who think meds are an easy out and that the person must not have been trying hard enough to live without them.

I'd agree with you but for the fact that the folks I'm talking about are among the portion getting prescribed these meds- yet having no long term changes besides  side effects and emptier wallets.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

Yep. Talk therapy can only do so much. There are times when meds are needed be it short term or longer. I take my MH meds because I know how much worse my depression will be without them. Even with coping skills it can be incredibly difficult. The added stigma around mental health medication compared to other meds people need to live their lives that's still around doesn't help matters either. It's especially true when it comes to people who think meds are an easy out and that the person must not have been trying hard enough to live without them.

Besides giving you a round of applause, I'd like to add that it's a mistaken belief that antidepressants "numb the pain" of living or "numb" the affect and emotions of the patients making them live like zombies.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, Jaded said:

Yep. Talk therapy can only do so much.

Yeas, there's an ad for some med that specifically says talk therapy doesn't work, I think they actually say its harmful, for that condition.  I don't remember which one because I barely half-listen to these ads.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 3
21 hours ago, Blergh said:

yet having no long term changes besides  side effects and emptier wallets.

Sometimes not getting worse is the best the medication does.  That still beats the alternative.

Many people have to try a variety of meds to determine which one or combination best treats the depression and/or anxiety with the least-disruptive side effects.  But the meds take a while to show their full effect, and then you can't just stop taking them, you have to wean off them.  So it can be a long process.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
On 9/4/2023 at 10:17 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I'd like to add that it's a mistaken belief that antidepressants "numb the pain" of living or "numb" the affect and emotions of the patients making them live like zombies.

Well, I must be the odd one out.  I've been on anti-anxiety meds for years and have definitely lost my emotions.  I've recently asked my doctor to reduce my dosage, in hopes of regaining some emotion. 

• Hugs 6
13 minutes ago, Kimboweena said:

Well, I must be the odd one out.  I've been on anti-anxiety meds for years and have definitely lost my emotions.  I've recently asked my doctor to reduce my dosage, in hopes of regaining some emotion. 

I am sorry for your struggle and truly feel for you.  I hope you get prescribed the right dose of the right medication which will work for you.  Perhaps you're on the right path to reducing the dosage and will experience an improvement very soon.  Maybe you need a change but I hope you don't give up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I'm another of those people whose clinical depression arises from brain chemistry rather than psychological trauma. Talk therapy has its place, and it's useful to me for employing coping skills and monitoring my mental health, but it's not going to address the root problem the way medication does.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm "attending" an online talk this week called "The Pharmacology of Psilocybin, Drug/Drug Interactions and Dosing: What to Know".  If anyone's interested in a link let me know.  They're going to provide a link to the recording after too.  Psilocybin is basically what makes magic mushrooms "magic" and there is currently research and interest in developing it for use in treatment for depression, addiction, OCD, and other conditions/diseases.  A couple of states have very early stage treatment centers.

(If it's not okay to post this kind of thing on Primetimer, please let me know.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I'm "attending" an online talk this week called "The Pharmacology of Psilocybin, Drug/Drug Interactions and Dosing: What to Know".  If anyone's interested in a link let me know.  They're going to provide a link to the recording after too.  Psilocybin is basically what makes magic mushrooms "magic" and there is currently research and interest in developing it for use in treatment for depression, addiction, OCD, and other conditions/diseases.  A couple of states have very early stage treatment centers.

(If it's not okay to post this kind of thing on Primetimer, please let me know.

I've heard about this and many places are legalizing shrooms for their clinical uses.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, peacheslatour said:

I've heard about this and many places are legalizing shrooms for their clinical uses.

Yep.  Thankfully, my state (CA) is on track to join Oregon and Colorado.  Hopefully it will spread even further.  UC Berkeley conducted a survey, and over 60 percent of voters responding supported legalizing regulated therapeutic access to psychedelics, and nearly half said they should also be legal for personal use.

• Like 3