Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Yesterday was trash day and it was really, really windy.  A lot of people had their bins blowing around so on the neighborhood FB page one resident wrote: 

Maybe it would be a good idea for all of us to put our address on our trash and recycle bins. We did that in the last community that we lived in to prevent wandering bins.

I burst out laughing and noted that it sounded just like a Dr Rick commercial.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yesterday was trash day and it was really, really windy.  A lot of people had their bins blowing around so on the neighborhood FB page one resident wrote: 

I burst out laughing and noted that it sounded just like a Dr Rick commercial.

You should have put up some funny message & signed it Dr Rick.

Someone around me has their wifi name set as "usgovwifivaccinerelease". Obviously I can't say who.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I read once that "unscented" and "fragrance free" are not the same thing. Sometimes manufacturers add a neutralizing smell because the original product smells bad - that would make it "unscented" - but "fragrance-free" means nothing else that smells has been added, so you get the true odor of the product.

I have developed mild to moderate eczema so I am now using a scent-free laundry detergent. I have stopped using dryer sheets (mom was right -- they only gum up your dryer) and I'm using Downy Free and Gentle fabric softener. The difference in how my clothes feel against my skin is remarkable. My towels are fluffier too. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

I'm weighing in late on dog poop.  I should post this in pet peeves.  This is the opposite problem from what was posted earlier by the suburbanites.

Here in NYC dogs are walked on the sidewalk or in the public parks, and there are plenty of public trash cans in which to toss your poop bags.  But since the pandemic started, more and more people are leaving their dog's poop on the sidewalk!  It's just a disgrace.  I always carry plenty of extra bags, just in case my dog poops more than once a walk, but now I pick up at least one OPP (other pup's poopy) every day.  Grr.  Come on, New  Yorkers, do better.  I even pick up extra poop when I'm on the way to work, not even walking my dog. 

We have a partial plastic bag ban here, but I still have lots of old bags to recycle, and we still get new ones with certain take-out food purchases.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
On 4/8/2023 at 3:57 AM, tres bien said:

The fact that rx meds for very serious health issues are advertised on TV is crazy.

Are people with cancer really watching commercials and self diagnosing their selves? Recommending to their doctors what they should be prescribed? 

I have had doctors mention the TV commercials for different drugs when asking if I've heard of them.  Little did they know my extensive useless knowledge of commercials.  I did ask one doctor if the drug she mentioned had the commercial in which the woman talked about how she didn't select that specific type of breast cancer.  We laughed about the thought of the cancer aisle at the drug store where people were selecting which cancer they wanted because you know it would be so crowded. 🙄

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I saw an ad this morning for a class action suit against Tepezza, a prescription drug for people with Thyroid Eye Disease. Apparently one of the side effects is hearing loss!

Good news - you don't have double vision anymore. Bad news, you're gonna need that clear vision because you're deaf. 😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 1
On 4/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, mmecorday said:

I saw an ad this morning for a class action suit against Tepezza, a prescription drug for people with Thyroid Eye Disease. Apparently one of the side effects is hearing loss!

Well, there is more than one drug commercial where they warn you in the endless list of potential side effects that death is a possibility.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Almond Milk Cookie Monster commercial. My son and I were watching Martha Stewart one day and she had Cookie Monster on. Of course, she was making cookies and he would not stay out of them. So she tied him to a chair. She told him "Now Cookie if you struggle, it only gets tighter." My son looked at me and said "I guess we always knew it would come to this." I about died laughing.

• LOL 12

From the commercials that annoy thread:

Speaking as a long ago backpacker, women can pee in the wild too, just takes a bit more maneuvering of clothing and if you are lucky, a nice smooth boulder to sit on.  

The one time I did that I managed to squat on poison ivy. Talk about "down there" discomfort!

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

My mom once went a little ways down a mountainside to pee. She was wearing a llama-fur hat - think pillbox, but biggers & furrier.  Of course, as she bent over, the hat fell off and started rolling down the mountain. She screamed, "MY HAT!" and Dad, hard of hearing, thought she'd seen a bear or something. He ran to the rescue.  As she finished up, she sent him further down the mountain to fetch the wayward hat.  I was in the back seat, torn between cringing and laughing.

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

From the commercials that annoy thread:

The one time I did that I managed to squat on poison ivy. Talk about "down there" discomfort!

Oh my goodness! Sorry you had that happen!

For us women, it is a skill we have to learn. We'd be out in the backcountry 5-7 days at a time and it is really important to develop your own style.  Nowadays adult diapers might be an option.... But then you have to carry the used ones around with you... Yuk!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My high school best friend did this with poison ivy, you have my sympathies!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

For us women, it is a skill we have to learn. We'd be out in the backcountry 5-7 days at a time and it is really important to develop your own style. 

There are devices like the Shewee that allow you to pee standing up. My knees don't like the squatting any more. "Help, I squatted and I can't stand up!"

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, nokat said:

There are devices like the Shewee that allow you to pee standing up. My knees don't like the squatting any more. "Help, I squatted and I can't stand up!"

Yeah, I had one of those but carrying a used one around was not pleasant. You aren't always close to water to rinse it and  back in those days we filled canteens at streams to carry for drinking water and at times it was too precious to waste cleaning the Shewee.

Back in those days my knees could squat no problem...now, not so much.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, I had one of those but carrying a used one around was not pleasant. You aren't always close to water to rinse it and  back in those days we filled canteens at streams to carry for drinking water and at times it was too precious to waste cleaning the Shewee.

Back in those days my knees could squat no problem...now, not so much.

Oh boy, this takes me back. Remember "Cholera, is a beautiful thing"?

• LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh boy, this takes me back. Remember "Cholera, is a beautiful thing"?

All I can. say is we never got cholera. We were very high in the mountains of CA, WY, MT to name a few, and only took water from fast moving clear rivers/springs never from still ponds. This was back in the mid 80's and bottled water really wasn't an option.  Plus all the empty bottles to carry out.  Usually we never saw another human on these trips so we were in very isolated areas.

Wilderness backpacking may not be for all, but we were in some gorgeous pristine scenery and saw some of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises one can imagine. 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3
(edited)

On the revolting Lume commercials.They want you to put that crap on your privates. I think putting creams, powders and anything that could change the PH levels down there is insane.  Keep it clean and don't use douches, sprays or any other chemicals on yourself. The human vagina is pretty much a self cleaning and self maintaining mechanism.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

good thing too. Have you ever tried to bathe a cat?

I have, many times. A lot of it is how you approach it. Cats can tell if you're nervous or apprehensive. And they will respond with fear because they feel it coming from you. You have to try to relax and act like it's no big deal. Be very matter of fact and so will they. I have also had cats that get so relaxed in the bath, that they lie down and get into it.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I have, many times. A lot of it is how you approach it. Cats can tell if you're nervous or apprehensive. And they will respond with fear because they feel it coming from you. You have to try to relax and act like it's no big deal. Be very matter of fact and so will they. I have also had cats that get so relaxed in the bath, that they lie down and get into it.

Mine always loved being wrapped like a purrito afterwards.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I never bathed either cat, but during pollen season, Bosco would come back inside covered in it. I would take a damp paper towel and rub him down. He hated it. The towel was SO dirty/pollinated, I took a photo of it the first time. I miss him. Damn cancer.

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
10 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yes. Having a 14 lb. wet cat swinging from the inside of your elbow by one claw is not fun. Now I own two self-cleaning models who take care of the spots their sibling can't reach.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, dleighg said:

I've done it with several cats for various reasons (never regularly, given how cats bathe, just sometimes circumstances necessitating it over my lifetime of having cats, plus helping friends and family with theirs), and it always worked out much better than I was expecting.  Two of them turned out to love warm water, so that they were unhappy with the soaping up and didn't love the drying off, but for the time they had warm water flowing over them, they were blissed out -- a character in TV's most luxurious bubble bath couldn't be more happy.

• Like 4

I've never tried to bathe our cat; I like having all my fingers, TYVM.  But she does follow me into the shower.  She's fascinated by water but stands back far enough to not get wet.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've never tried to bathe our cat; I like having all my fingers, TYVM.  But she does follow me into the shower.  She's fascinated by water but stands back far enough to not get wet.

When Elizabeth was a kitten, she used to get right into the shower with my husband. She would sit in the water and everything. I read that Maine C**** love water so I guess that fits

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I read that Maine C**** love water so I guess that fits

Our family had a Maine c**** who liked playing in the water. We'd turn on the hose and Josh would approach it and place his paw over the opening, making the water spray out in a lovely arc. He did that a lot. Better than having a lawn sprinkler.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Our family had a Maine c**** who liked playing in the water. We'd turn on the hose and Josh would approach it and place his paw over the opening, making the water spray out in a lovely arc. He did that a lot. Better than having a lawn sprinkler.

Why did you censor that? It's what they are.

The word is currently being censored by auto filters on the server.  These are in place to prevent the use of egregious racial slurs.  However, there is no intention to block the name of a cat breed.  We will raise this internally.  We do not know how adjustable this is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
(edited)

Or just try to bypass the censor and call it a Maine ¢oon? Let's see if the cent sign gets sensored...

Not trying to be a wise a$$ or anything...

Edited by Gramto6
  • LOL 3

This is an interesting topic. I posted something last week that involved talking about the different names Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians was published under. One title used an offensive word that there was no way I was going to repeat so I said "(offensive word)". PT policy didn't enter into my mind, just that I wouldn't use such a word. 

• Like 2

I hope the auto filter also triggers an auto report to moderators, so that if a word is being used as a slur, the post gets removed, not just has the offending word obscured.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hope the auto filter also triggers an auto report to moderators, so that if a word is being used as a slur, the post gets removed, not just has the offending word obscured.

Agreed!  And if the moderator determines that the word is being used in an alternative, non offensive way (as above) they can clear it to be displayed. 

Somewhat related, there’s another site I visit occasionally that routinely automatically filters “naughty” words even if they’re a part of someone’s actual name. it’s particularly offensive when it happens for a particular well respected comedian who among other roles played Rob Petrie. Sheesh - review the post and either ban the poster or let it stand - the intention should be obvious! Maybe I should move over to the pet peeves thread. 

• Like 4
(edited)

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. Just how many racists that use that word are on Primetimer.  (I bet I would be flabbergasted, though, by the number. They're everywhere.)  It's just a damn shame that those assholes make it so hard for the rest of us.

That said, I moderated a forum where almost all the women were offended when someone used the "C" word that has no other meaning than to demean women's private parts.  The forum admin software had a feature where you could change the word.  Which I did.  So whenever some troglodyte would say, "She's a c***" it would translate to "She's a cutie pie."  Took all the venom right out of it. People stopped bothering to use the word.

ETA: Editing the offensive word to asterisks doesn't change the meaning and anyone reading it knows what's meant - it's just as offensive as the real word. Changing to something silly is way more effective.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 7
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ETA: Editing the offensive word to asterisks doesn't change the meaning and anyone reading it knows what's meant - it's just as offensive as the real word. Changing to something silly is way more effective.

I hear what you’re saying but I’m not sure I entirely agree. Changing the word to asterisks may serve to annoy the poster, but I think what you’d really want to accomplish is one of two things: let other posters know what the op is really like, without actually showing the offensive word, or just kick them off the site entirely (after warning, if that’s deemed appropriate).

• Like 3

We still ask that posters report any offensive posts.  Most racism, etc., is not expressed on boards such as PT with the worst words (although it happens occasionally), so we rely on posters to help create a space where people can have real conversations without the worst taking over.  It's a balancing act that we try to stay on the right side of.  But we are also human and doing our best.  Thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2023 at 10:09 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

You should have put up some funny message & signed it Dr Rick.

Someone around me has their wifi name set as "usgovwifivaccinerelease". Obviously I can't say who.

Someone in my neighborhood has a friend/occasional visitor whose wifi name is "FBI Security Van".  I laugh every time I see it pop up.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:22 AM, Haleth said:

I had a flea infestation in the fall and one of my cats really suffered due to an allergy.  The vet advised bathing him with a little bit of Dawn.  I thought using the kitchen sink would be better since I could stand up.  It did not go well.

Some breeds are more amenable to being bathed than others, and I think it helps if you've started getting them comfortable with water as kittens.  Not as 6 year old demons.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

On the revolting Lume commercials.They want you to put that crap on your privates. I think putting creams, powders and anything that could change the PH levels down there is insane.  Keep it clean and don't use douches, sprays or any other chemicals on yourself. The human vagina is pretty much a self cleaning and self maintaining mechanism.

Yep, you shouldn't even use soap in the area except externally.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3

I went to the store on my lunch hour. I picked up several cans of cat food. Just to make conversation, the cashier asked me how many cats I had. And because I was in a mercurial mood, I said, "Cats? I don't have any cats! I hate cats!" The cashier looked shocked and then I laughed and said, "Kidding! I have six cats. And they are my whole life." 

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2