Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Sorry to disrupt this, but where do we go to discuss the ads on Primetimer? I saw a link thing once, but I wouldn't know where to go. Ha 

Discuss or report/complain?  I don't think there's a specific thread to discuss them, but if you're having an issue (and really, who wouldn't with these ads??), the place to report it is here. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Sorry to disrupt this, but where do we go to discuss the ads on Primetimer? I saw a link thing once, but I wouldn't know where to go. Ha 

Maybe here (Internet Pet Peeves)?

But on second thought, that would just be the equivalent of "Commercials that annoy..." But then again, maybe that would cover most of the ads here?😉

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
On 10/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe here (Internet Pet Peeves)?

But on second thought, that would just be the equivalent of "Commercials that annoy..." But then again, maybe that would cover most of the ads here?😉

Yeah. Lol F it, I'll just say it here. The ads on this site have gotten ridiculous in the past few months. Do they need the money? Lol I love it here, but it's been killing me scrolling through. Ads between every single post, video pop ups, ads at the bottom you can't get rid of like you used to. And it's all moving text and pictures. I can't stand those! I only get here on my phone. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Yeah. Lol F it, I'll just say it here. The ads on this site have gotten ridiculous in the past few months. Do they need the money? Lol I love it here, but it's been killing me scrolling through. Ads between every single post, video pop ups, ads at the bottom you can't get rid of like you used to. And it's all moving text and pictures. I can't stand those! I only get here on my phone. 

I got tired of that also, so I downloaded the Duck Duck Go app on my phone.  No ads anymore.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Have one of your kids put Ad Block Plus. I never see any ads on here.

• Like 2
On 10/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Okay. I've seen people talk about having an ad blocker, but I've never known how to get one. I've looked into it, but nothing has happened. Thank you 🙂

NOTE: I don't have a fancy phone that connects to the web. All my internet stuff is done via a PC laptop.

I don't know how it works on other browsers, but Firefox has, under "tools", an "add-ons and extensions" option that includes quite a few handy-dandy tools. I used to use Ad Blocker Plus, but now I use Ad Guard. I also use Privacy Badger. My default search engine is DuckDuckGo and it frequently, along with Privacy Badger, prevents Facebook from tracking what other sites I go to.

Sometimes, AVG will tell me I have tracking cookies on my computer. If it's only one, I know it's google, so I'm not all that concerned. If there's more than one, I'll run the CCleaner program to clean out the crap. (That's what the first C originally stood for: CrapCleaner.)  Hope this helps.

• Useful 4

From another thread:

On 10/9/2023 at 1:44 PM, Bastet said:

They may abuse this policy, I don't know as I've never investigated, but in theory I have no objection to their stance on euthanasia as there are indeed existences that are worse than death:

I agree, and I would think that fewer animals would be euthanized if more people provided financial support to kill-shelters, because they'd have the resources to take care of more animals.

My dog would be dead right now if my husband (then boyfriend) had decided he didn't want to patronize a kill-shelter. The day he adopted him was the day before the dog was scheduled to be put down because he hadn't been adopted in the required time frame. It was literally his last chance. I have no idea why no one wanted him.

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

From Commercials that annoy about Halloween candy. We live in a small subdivision of about 44 houses. Our driveway is the bus stop. Both parents and kids will thank us for letting them stand in our driveway while waiting for the bus. At first, I was puzzled, but evidently the a$$hole we bought the house from wanted them to stand in the street (we have no sidewalks). The kids bring our paper from the driveway up to the front door. With the elementary school kids, there are usually some parents with them, drinking coffee and visiting. On the last day of the school year, they have mimosas. For Halloween, there is almost without exception a parent at the street when the kids come to the door. If they don't say thank you, a parent will prompt them. Maybe we are fortunate to live in a community of civilized folks.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Halloween talk.  We used to live in a decent sized subdivision out in the country.  For Halloween we'd get bus loads of kids from outside the neighborhood so that it wasn't unusual to end up with 300+ kids coming to the door.  (Not exaggerating.)  That was annoying (and costly) but I don't blame the rural kids for wanting to trick or treat.  What got me to quit handing out candy was the mobs of rude teenagers way too old to be doing this, kids who could drive to the store and buy their own damn candy.  I know, people have argued with me that they should be allowed to be kids, but this was no fun.  We'd go out to dinner and not leave any lights on at home.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

One Halloween the parents got together and decided to have a bonfire in a cul-de-sac, bring a chair, beverage, and candy. Kids went from chair to chair while the adults visited. That was fun.

Ah like the old style block parties they used to have when I was a kid. I loved those.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

One Halloween the parents got together and decided to have a bonfire in a cul-de-sac, bring a chair, beverage, and candy. Kids went from chair to chair while the adults visited. That was fun.

That sounds like fun! I live out in the country now and I miss handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. I also miss sneaking a few fun-size Snickers for myself. I could buy a bag just for myself, but I would have Dr. Now's voice booming in my head, "Dat is not on de diet."

weight tart GIF by TLC Turkiye

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Halloween talk.  We used to live in a decent sized subdivision out in the country.  For Halloween we'd get bus loads of kids from outside the neighborhood so that it wasn't unusual to end up with 300+ kids coming to the door.  (Not exaggerating.)  That was annoying (and costly) but I don't blame the rural kids for wanting to trick or treat.  What got me to quit handing out candy was the mobs of rude teenagers way too old to be doing this, kids who could drive to the store and buy their own damn candy.  I know, people have argued with me that they should be allowed to be kids, but this was no fun.  We'd go out to dinner and not leave any lights on at home.

I used to also, the community up the road from us used to trailer kids in.  The first year I was there, we ran out of candy and started giving out canned goods.

After that we sat outside in the driveway the years after with plenty of candy.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

I used to also, the community up the road from us used to trailer kids in.  The first year I was there, we ran out of candy and started giving out canned goods.

After that we sat outside in the driveway the years after with plenty of candy.

One year when we ran out of candy, we just gave out handfuls of pennies.

I don't hand out candy (or anything) on Halloween, never have, but I only went trick-or-treating once as a kid (I thought it was dumb, and didn't do it again), so I don't feel like it's "my turn" -- I have no qualms turning off the porch light.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

As a kid I didn't mind pennies, but today you can't get much for a few pennies (we could get a comic book for 10 pennies).

Yeah, this was back in the seventies. My BF and I in our first apartment. We really weren't prepared.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't hand out candy (or anything) on Halloween, never have, but I only went trick-or-treating once as a kid (I thought it was dumb, and didn't do it again), so I don't feel like it's "my turn" -- I have no qualms turning off the porch light.

One local community here distributes red and green signs you can put on your door indicating if you want trick or treaters or not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

One local community here distributes red and green signs you can put on your door indicating if you want trick or treaters or not.

Do the red-signed homes get egged, TP'ed or other mischief making?

• Wink 1
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Do the red-signed homes get egged, TP'ed or other mischief making?

In none of the places I've lived has my home ever been messed with because I didn't hand out free candy to strangers.  Where I live now, those of us who don't participate are the majority on the block (judging by how many dark porches there are), but there are still plenty of houses for the kids to go to. 

• Like 1

The commercials for Lindt chocolate are all obnoxious, but the other day I was shopping at Food Lion and saw that the Lindor dark chocolate truffles were on sale so I thought I'd give them a try. Good gawd, I could have eaten the whole bag. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

The commercials for Lindt chocolate are all obnoxious, but the other day I was shopping at Food Lion and saw that the Lindor dark chocolate truffles were on sale so I thought I'd give them a try. Good gawd, I could have eaten the whole bag. 

There you go. Never let an obnoxious commercial keep you from a good thing.

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

My husband and I put those in each others Christmas stocking every year.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

My cousin Cole was born on Halloween. When he was little he always had a birthday party in the evening. When you would ask him, "Cole, when is your birthday?" he would always reply, "My birthday's at night!" 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

The small town I grew up in had a parade on Halloween night where all the kids wore their costumes, and they gave a silver dollar for best costumes. Because of the parade, we would trick or treat on the 30th, my birthday. I think I was 5 before I figured out that all the people who were giving me candy wasn't because it was my birthday. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Growing up, I never lived in a great trick-or-treating neighborhood, but always wondered what it would be like.

Well, now I know. We moved into a neighborhood that’s flat (not many of those in our hilly city), has only one entrance/exit and is in a very safe area. We get kids from all over the city, with cars parked all along the street that feeds in. People have awesome outdoor decorations and it’s a lot of fun taking walks in October and admiring all the creativity. We put up our own stuff and get into it.

That said — Halloween night? Not as much fun. Last year, we had kids tromping across our lawn and tripping over cords instead of using the driveway and paved walk.

Then they got to the door. Some of them were sweet and cute, but some were so damned greedy! I chose to put the candy in their bags instead of letting them dig around, but some kids (old enough to know better) would lunge at the candy bowl. Every now and then, a child would politely ask if they could have a certain type and I was happy to oblige. But grabbing? Ugh. A couple of years ago I had a couple of little twits bitch that I wasn’t giving them enough — it was late in the evening and I was running out, so I was rationing. Last year, kids kept ringing the doorbell even after we turned off all the exterior lights.

This year we’re investing in temporary fencing and string lights to help them stay on track. Either that or set up lawn chairs and meet them at the curb. But, seriously. If I’d been as rude as some of these kids, my parents would have marched me home.

Stepson is with us that week this year, but thankfully he’s old enough to no longer want to trick-or-treat, so I won’t have to deal with it alone this time!

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 2
On 9/5/2023 at 8:17 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Yeas, there's an ad for some med that specifically says talk therapy doesn't work, I think they actually say its harmful, for that condition.  I don't remember which one because I barely half-listen to these ads.

It's the OCD ad with Howie Mandel. I don't know that much about this issue, but saying general therapy is harmful seems counterproductive.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

It's the OCD ad with Howie Mandel. I don't know that much about this issue, but saying general therapy is harmful seems counterproductive.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Yeas, there's an ad for some med that specifically says talk therapy doesn't work, I think they actually say its harmful, for that condition.  I don't remember which one because I barely half-listen to these ads.

It didn't specifically say talk therapy was harmful, but general therapy, saying you need to be specifically treating the OCD.

The ad is for NOCD which, as far as I can tell, is talk therapy.    

Edited by Katy M
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Growing up, I never lived in a great trick-or-treating neighborhood, but always wondered what it would be like.

Well, now I know. We moved into a neighborhood that’s flat (not many of those in our hilly city), has only one entrance/exit and is in a very safe area. We get kids from all over the city, with cars parked all along the street that feeds in. People have awesome outdoor decorations and it’s a lot of fun taking walks in October and admiring all the creativity. We put up our own stuff and get into it.

That said — Halloween night? Not as much fun. Last year, we had kids tromping across our lawn and tripping over cords instead of using the driveway and paved walk.

Then they got to the door. Some of them were sweet and cute, but some were so damned greedy! I chose to put the candy in their bags instead of letting them dig around, but some kids (old enough to know better) would lunge at the candy bowl. Every now and then, a child would politely ask if they could have a certain type and I was happy to oblige. But grabbing? Ugh. A couple of years ago I had a couple of little twits bitch that I wasn’t giving them enough — it was late in the evening and I was running out, so I was rationing. Last year, kids kept ringing the doorbell even after we turned off all the exterior lights.

This year we’re investing in temporary fencing and string lights to help them stay on track. Either that or set up lawn chairs and meet them at the curb. But, seriously. If I’d been as rude as some of these kids, my parents would have marched me home.

Stepson is with us that week this year, but thankfully he’s old enough to no longer want to trick-or-treat, so I won’t have to deal with it alone this time!

I used to live in a hilly area, I think the only reason we had trick or treaters was they followed us up the street.  After we stopped we barely got any.

6 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Growing up we lived in a great trick or treat area.  Then the the 1970s the town outlawed trick or treating due to the (largely made up) killer Halloween candy scare. Later I lived in a fairly large apartment building and kids would only come in if it was snowing, raining or freezing cold.  They knew single-family houses were more productive for candy.

• Like 2

Making easy money. Dolly strikes me as the someone who would enjoy eating at Cracker Barrell. I have a stepdaughter whose idea of heaven is eating at Cracker Barrell.

I love Cracker Barrel. The dinner items can sometimes be hit or miss, but the breakfast combos are reliably good. 

But if you see a tour bus in the parking lot, do not even attempt to eat there, especially if you're really hungry! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

There are parts of the country where Cracker Barrel is an option at many of the Interstate off-ramps. The problem we've encountered is wait time to be seated because they are so popular. Yes, if you see a tour bus, move on.

• Like 5

The other thing about Cracker Barrel is they are not just a restaurant, the have a "Country Store" attached where they sell all kinds of things. Sometimes I think the long wait times are to encourage folks to buy stuff. 😉

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

The other thing about Cracker Barrel is they are not just a restaurant, the have a "Country Store" attached where they sell all kinds of things. Sometimes I think the long wait times are to encourage folks to buy stuff.

I bought these at Cracker Barrel back in September. I just couldn't get over how sweet their faces were. (There's a boy reindeer too but I could only upload this one.)

girl reindeer.png

Edited by mmecorday
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

I have no interest in Cracker Barrel (I don't even know if we have one around here), but Dolly isn't just straight-up shilling for them, there's some sort of contest or promotion or something (too tired and lazy to look up right before bed; I heard Kathleen Madigan talking about it) that's a tie-in with her new rock album.  Which is one of the things you can buy in their store.

Better than the ad she did for that gig work propaganda bullshit 5 to 9 - even reworking the classic song - so Dolly doesn't get a side eye from me on this one even though it's not going to make me look up whether there's a restaurant near me.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, mmecorday said:

I sometimes buy the mixed bag so I can feel self righteous because I give away the nasty ones that I don't like and it has the added bonus of meaning I didn't eat the whole bag.  Choco-logic.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
21 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I sometimes buy the mixed bag so I can feel self righteous because I give away the nasty ones that I don't like and it has the added bonus of meaning I didn't eat the whole bag.  Choco-logic.

Nasty chocolate?  There's no such thing! 😄🍫

• LOL 7
On 11/22/2023 at 10:32 AM, heatherchandler said:

I will defend lume here (ducks) because I think I know who it’s for.. I’ve never bought it and don’t plan to, but I sometimes go out to dinner or drinks after work, so I shower in the morning of course, then want to make sure I don’t smell after a day of work.  I usually just put on more deodorant and perfume.

This may work better than putting on more deodorant.  I could see some people who would be doing the same thing, going out after work, and maybe they put it in the butt, etc.. I don’t know about all of that, I would think it would be a good alternative to another shower?

When undergoing certain medical treatments, it is recommended that you do not shower daily and for some you cannot wear normal antiperspirants. Lume fills a need in those situations.  Also, there are some treatments that can make you sweat excessively in areas that aren't usually a problem and treatments that dry your skin.  Full disclosure, I purchased Lume when undergoing such treatments.  It helped me feel less gross after surgery when I couldn't shower as often or as effectively.  Also, it helped if I knew I would be at the hospital for a really long day; no need to torture the techs, nurses, and other patients with excessive funk. I hate the commercials but the product is okay. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5