Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Has anyone seen the new ad for Dick's Sporting Goods? If featured a young high school lacrosse player from Harlem. This poor kid lost his parents and he talked about how playing lacrosse keeps him focused. Forget organized charity I want to send him some money.

• Love 2

We watched a recorded show from 1990 last night. Not a single time in a single commercial, which we watched just for fun, did I see:

1. A man portrayed as a brainless idiot incapable of wiping his own butt without his superior wife's help.

2. A woman having simulated sex with any inanimate object or having an orgasm over chocolate.

3. Boobs bulging at me from every angle.

4. Jackasses of any sex acting like jackasses.

• Love 9

It's really a rude to say that Snap card holders buy whatever looks good, don't you? Why shouldn't people with Snap Cards buy what they want to eat? Maybe they do have microwaves and toasters, you don't know. And maybe they purchased those things before they lost their job and their car broke down, etc. They should sell off everything just because now they're on Snap?

Based on what I've seen on Facebook and various message boards, yes. And God help them if they dare to buy a steak or 2-liter Coke with it.

• Love 3

I've always assumed the well-dressed lady with the welfare card in front of me at the grocery is actually using someone's card that she's helping out.  Some poor, unemployable mother of six has a volunteer from a local charity doing her shopping for her.

I've always assumed the well-dressed lady with the welfare card in front of me at the grocery is actually using someone's card that she's helping out.  Some poor, unemployable mother of six has a volunteer from a local charity doing her shopping for her.

How would you know if the person inline in front of you is using a SNAP card ?

How would you know if the person inline in front of you is using a SNAP card ?

Other than the easily recognizable design on the card, the current trend in grocery stores is for a virtual register tape (including method of payment) to be displayed on a computer screen visible to the clerk, customer, and anyone nearby.

• Love 1

Other than the easily recognizable design on the card, the current trend in grocery stores is for a virtual register tape (including method of payment) to be displayed on a computer screen visible to the clerk, customer, and anyone nearby.

You would have to be standing awfully close to the person paying to see all that. I hate hate hate when the person behind me moves up to the register when I haven't quit finished.  They're like standing this () to you . Back the F up until I move.

• Love 4

You would have to be standing awfully close to the person paying to see all that.

Depends on the store. Some put the card scanner way down at the end. Some put the screen practically parallel to the aisle so it's visible to anyone next to the conveyor. Not very private, but it beats the self-service checkouts reading nearly everything off in a loud voice.

• Love 2

Depends on the store. Some put the card scanner way down at the end. Some put the screen practically parallel to the aisle so it's visible to anyone next to the conveyor. Not very private, but it beats the self-service checkouts reading nearly everything off in a loud voice.

King Soopers self service checkouts don't do that

I use the scanner and the self check out so I don't have to hear it not only say the price, but also take the extra 5 seconds to tell me the "savings". Just scan the dang thing and let me finish my order and get out! I do like the scanner and self check out. Makes my shopping experience sooo nice. When my kids were younger it was a sanity saver.

I mostly shop at Harris Teeter since the nearest Food Lion closed, and I always use the self-checkout because there's never enough aisles open. And the nearby Target just recently started using self-checkout, but I don't like that one as much because I haven't figured out how to use coupons with it yet and it takes forever to get an employee to come over and help out.

• Love 1

See, I thought "pictographs" were the classic Japanese pen and ink characters, and "emoji" were little smiley faces and such.  Is this wrong?

I'm assuming kanji were what you meant by the former? I do not believe kanji are usually classified as pictographs, although I'm not an expert, and it is true that at least some kanji, or components thereof do have origins in looking like the thing they represent.

My understanding is that the term pictographs can apply to any type of writing that uses images as characters. So, for example, hieroglyphics and emoji are both examples of pictographs. But not all pictographs are emoji. Emoji does specifically imply the little cartoony-looking characters one can use in many texting/IM/social media applications, some of which are smilies, but can be other things too, like slices of pizza or tennis racquets. Roger Federer has had some pretty hilarious all-emoji tweets.

• Love 3

I mostly shop at Harris Teeter since the nearest Food Lion closed, and I always use the self-checkout because there's never enough aisles open. And the nearby Target just recently started using self-checkout, but I don't like that one as much because I haven't figured out how to use coupons with it yet and it takes forever to get an employee to come over and help out.

There are no Harris Teeters by me--just Shaw's, Stop and Shop and to a lesser extent Hannafords. 

What I really need is a "smart" home that will know when something needs to be replenished and order it so it's delivered when I need it. Or, you know, Star Trek replicators. That could work too.

• Love 5

I'm hoping this proliferation in 3D printers leads to food replicators.

3D printed meat is on its way.  The same technology that will print food that's bad for you can also print replacement organs.  You will eventually close the loop by turning your old organs into your next meal.

ETA: Possible NSFW warning: that link is to a Gizmodo article, and it generated a popup video for growing marijauna.

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 1

In the head scratcher thread we were talking about a salt gun commercial  and a mean squirrel. I didnt' want to hurt the squirrel, just scare him off without scaring the other ones. Maybe I'll try a water gun first. Any ideas?

Thanks you guys. If he were rabid... I need to google the timeline for that because he's been this way for months. I feel bad seeing the smaller squirrels with little nub tails (having been bitten off by mean squirrel) And when some squirrels are on the window eating seeds etc  I see parts of their ears missing and I know it is that one squirrel who did it.. He /she chases them off from all the food . I put food out in many spots instead of  one place; but no he has to chase them all away from ALL the food. I can only tell him apart because he is chasing them and he has a black .... well... beard looking face.. like a birthmark. His face is like a little black beard. He seems scared of me bc he always retreats. So unless I just stand out there and feed the other ones, no other squirrel will get food. I did throw some water in a cup but I cant really get him. It scares him though. But yet he's back. There is plenty of food. I just font get it why he has to have ALL of it which is way more than he needs or could eat. My neighbor said trap him, but I have no clue how to do that. But if so..Then what? take him to a park? What if he's crazy or sick? But really I think he's just aggressive and mean. He's been this way for months. Also, FWIW, a  neighbor told me that a couple of doors down a dude (she heard about it) was feeding squirrels bread.(don't know if it was any of our squirrels) but one jumped up and scratched his face AND HE WAS FEEDING THEM. That to me is so ODD and scary. From the story the dude does not know which squirrel jumped him. Anyway, Today I waited til the afternoon to put out food so maybe he'd go away.

• Love 1

A  local animal rescue group might help if the official guys don't want to respond. I've seen rescue groups try to save nuisance animals like squirrels and gophers when other organizations would just kill them.

You could try renting a humane trap from a full-service animal supply store. There's always a problem with some kind of grain-stealing critter on farms and using a humane trap is a guarantee that you catch the wild thing and not harm one of the barn cats. Then the problem is what to do with it if you catch him. If you relocate him you're just making him someone else's problem since he'll find and ruin another nice backyard feeder situation. Sorry, but you might have to kill him. From what you're going through, I would.

Since multiple squirrel feeders far apart doesn't seem to help, you may have to take the drastic route. You can't reason with him, you can't spend all your time out there, it looks like he may be dangerous to humans, too -- just consider it. 

• Love 3

He seems scared of me bc he always retreats. So unless I just stand out there and feed the other ones, no other squirrel will get food. I did throw some water in a cup but I cant really get him. It scares him though. But yet he's back. There is plenty of food. I just font get it why he has to have ALL of it which is way more than he needs or could eat. My neighbor said trap him, but I have no clue how to do that. But if so..Then what? take him to a park? What if he's crazy or sick? But really I think he's just aggressive and mean. He's been this way for months. Also, FWIW, a  neighbor told me that a couple of doors down a dude (she heard about it) was feeding squirrels bread.(don't know if it was any of our squirrels) but one jumped up and scratched his face AND HE WAS FEEDING THEM. That to me is so ODD and scary. From the story the dude does not know which squirrel jumped him. Anyway, Today I waited til the afternoon to put out food so maybe he'd go away.

He may not be scared of you because you're big but what if he attacks a small child? I would just shoot the little bastard.

• Love 6

I had three well-behaved squirrels I fed over the summer in their own spot, away from the bird feeders. I had to set up a place for them because they had learned to empty the two bird feeders. They'd pull the tube feeder off its hook when it was light enough to lift, then drop it on the ground. As for the tray feeder, before I put a wide squirrel guard on it a squirrel would hang upside-down from the branch and pull up on one of the chains, which would tip it up far enough to pour the seeds onto the ground. Nerf squirt guns, semi-interested but lazy cats, jumping out and waving at them -- nothing worked. Squirrels don't scare for long if they're hungry.

They were well-behaved. If I kept putting food out they'd argue over it but there was enough for all. Your Beardy is just a total dick.

• Love 3

Ok, you're going to think I hate squirrels. I don't, really!

One of the three, a mother by her prominent nipples, was almost tame. I'd sit on the patio near a big pile of sunflower chips I'd put out just for her and she'd come up to within 6 inches of my feet to get strays. She'd show up every morning at 8 and chatter until I laid out breakfast for her. The other two started coming with her later in the summer and might have been her kids, but they've all seemed to have moved on. At least I hope their absence is voluntary.

I just wanted to add a bit of food for thought to my squirrel-whacking advice: some are known to be cannibals. Perhaps your vicious little jerk is sampling what's on offer up the food chain from plant material, and biting off the tails of the other squirrels is more than aggression. 

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

All the responses are so interesting. Also, I've seen him run from small kids FWIW, but I understand the concern. Also, as  mentioned, IDK that Beardy (heh) is the one who jumped the man down the block. Beardy is very obvious from yards away, so he is easy to spot. Anyway,I thought it was strange that any squirrel, Beardy or whoever, would jump someone who is FEEDING them. Is that normal? I know they are unpredictable and all but that seems strange.

The nerf gun  is a good idea. I wonder if the neighbors will think I'm cray... or maybe that ship has already sailed. :) OR maybe I could shoot it from the window. When he had run all the others off and he was alone, I tried the coins in a can and that worked great.... exactly twice. Then he looked at me like, "is that all ya got?"

• Love 3

The Small Talk topic is perfect for this discussion. Feel free to carry on and wander in different stories too. 

Thank you!

I know there are several products for dealing with squirrels etc; but I don't think there are necessarily commercials for them all, so I didn't want to faux pas. :)

Plus I have many more weird animal stories. [/snore]

• Love 2