Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My father got paid weekly. We did not have a checking account (Mom, being a non-wage-earning wife had time to drive around to pay bills in person) so every Friday night, we drove off to Sears to cash the paycheck. My brother was too old/cool to go out on family outings like that, so it was just my parents and me.  As soon as my dad was in line to cash the check, i'd leave. After the financial transaction was concluded, my parents would split, too.  I'd be in the record department, looking for Peter, Paul, and Mary or Beatles records, Mom was over in fabrics, intending to sew a dress or something, and Dad was in the Craftsman section. Mom & I were through browsing first and we usually found Dad at the register, buying yet another tool.  On the way home, we'd stop at Dairy Queen.  Whoo Hoooo!  Big night!!

Now I'm 71 and I still have some of those Craftsman tools he bought. They are indestructible.

Wonderful memories! 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I will never, ever forgive him for Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time.

Ugh, that song!  There isn't much typically-played Christmas music I like, but that song is the only one I hate so much I will turn around and leave a store to avoid hearing.  I'm not a fan of McCartney's music in general, but that song is something else entirely. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I will never, ever forgive him for Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time.

I just think of this tweet now whenever I hear the song, which makes it a little more tolerable for me:

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

It's been my experience that docs have no idea what meds cost so it's not surprising that mom would hand over the scrip and find out it costs a whole lot more than she expected.  A doc once prescribed a med for my son and when I found out it was going to cost over $500 I called him on vacation and insisted he prescribe something cheaper.

My dermatologist prescribed a non-essential medication and when I went to the pharmacy it was more than $200. I didn't even know she had called it in along with the one that I really needed. I bought the essential cream (which was about $15 as I recall) and left the other behind. I've never had a doctor discuss the cost of prescription medications with me.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

My dermatologist prescribed a non-essential medication and when I went to the pharmacy it was more than $200. I didn't even know she had called it in along with the one that I really needed. I bought the essential cream (which was about $15 as I recall) and left the other behind. I've never had a doctor discuss the cost of prescription medications with me.  

Nor I. The lady in that commercial looks like she might be a waitress. They make minimum wage and typically have shitty insurance if any at all.

• Love 5

Yes, I hate the Medicare advantage programs pitched by celebrities who have great insurance, and don't worry about Medicare, or deductibles.   The benefits depend on where you're located geographically, and what's in your network.   

What they also don't tell you is when your name brand prescription goes generic, or is about to, there are no deals with coupons or discounts.  Then when it goes generic, your price won't drop very fast either.   It took over a year for my generic price to go to what it should be.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I'm not much of a Paul McCartney fan either and I detest that song, along with Silly Little Love Song. He is good at writing those very commercial, catchy ditties. Helped make the Beatles more commercial, but I have long since had enough of him. He was the cute Beatle, but I was over that many, many years ago.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
On 12/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, icemiser69 said:

I feel like such a dope.   The more lumens the better, right?

Long story short, I went to the store and saw one of those three finned lights that you screw into the ceiling light socket and it is supposed to add lots of light while only using 60 watts of power.  At least that is what I think is supposed to happen.   In any case, I wander upon this thing in the store and it is similar to the ones you see on television commercials.  So, I decide to buy it and bring it home.  6,000  lumens.  That is right,  6,000 lumens.   That ought to just brighten up the place a little.   Brighten it up it did.  Holy crap, it is so bright I have to wear sunglasses in the house.   It makes the bat signal look like a nightlight.   I will keep it, but damn,  I am not sure I want to keep that thing screwed into the ceiling all of the time.

That is the moment when I think do they think I plan on doing surgery here?  I put a new light in the bathroom and the contractor put bulbs in that will damn near burn through your retinas.  I don't need that clear of a view of myself first thing in the morning.  

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

One of my other relatives works all of her dough and crusts she makes way too much.   Her cookies are really tough.

Oh, dear. I've long heard the expression, "She's a tough cookie" but I don't know that I have ever actually eaten a cookie that was tough.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Yeah, I saw that.  I hadn't realized there was an epidemic of injuries by pine cones.  I thought the whole thing was stupid.  I suppose if someone has weak ankles I might buy into it, but even that is stretching it a bit.

Maybe TPTB can come out with a Christmas edition of Clue?   They can change up the weapons a bit by adding Christmas trees, owls, and pine cones.

Actually, I would be all in on a Santa edition of Clue.  Rudolph electrocuted Santa in the study with his big red nose.   Mrs. Claus killed Santa in the kitchen by bonking him on the head with a fruitcake.   One of the elves killed Santa in the toy shop by strangling him with a jump rope. 

I guess I have just guaranteed a lump of coal in my stocking this year.

I bought an old Clue game and transformed it into ClueZ - everything was related to the lyrics of Warren Zevon. I had a lot of fun making it up. A bunch of Zevon fans used to have an annual party and that's why I made the game. Our favorite was Charlie Sheen with a Sore Cock in the Australian Opal Mines.  The woman who hosted the party bought a "Make Your Own-Opoly" kit and gave it me, so the following year we had not only ClueZ, but Zevonopoly, too, again based on his lyrics. Unemployed at the time, I spent a lot of time refining the games.  One year, his ex-wife came to the party and was enchanted by the games. Hahahahaha.  OK; I'm done bragging.

• Love 10
On 12/18/2020 at 5:02 PM, friendperidot said:

I'm not much of a Paul McCartney fan either and I detest that song, along with Silly Little Love Song. He is good at writing those very commercial, catchy ditties. Helped make the Beatles more commercial, but I have long since had enough of him. He was the cute Beatle, but I was over that many, many years ago.

I've never been super into the Beatles. I don't actively dislike their music, and they do have songs that I really do like, but they're kind of like that relative/family friend whom you're fond of because you've known them your entire life, but you would never be friends with if you just met them somewhere. (Also, George was the only one who was remotely good-looking.)

On 12/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, icemiser69 said:

Back in the late 80s he started to look a lot like Angela Lansbury.  He could have been her twin.

There's a phenomenon I refer to as "old person androgeny" that Paul McCartney is the poster child of, in my mind.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It is interesting, that I have never known anyone who was both a Beatles and Rolling Stones fan.  From the people I have known, they have enjoyed the music of one of the bands and disliked the music of the other band.

The Beatles were the "nice" guys and the Stones were the "bad boys."  I was a Stones gal back then, even though I liked some of the Beatles' music.  

• Love 5

I adored The Beatles, especially Ringo, and sort of listened to the Stones the way I listed to all the other bands. I didn't dislike them; I didn't change the station when they came on the radio; they just weren't The Beatles.  Besides, they looked grungy.

I was in Jr. High when Ringo got married to Maureen and even the teachers were concerned about me & my obsession.  I would start mock-crying and say, "It's his happiness that counts...if he's happier with her than me, so be it."  And then I'd start laughing uproariously. Did they REALLY think I was that far gone?  Sheesh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was in Jr. High when Ringo got married to Maureen and even the teachers were concerned about me & my obsession.  I would start mock-crying and say, "It's his happiness that counts...if he's happier with her than me, so be it."  And then I'd start laughing uproariously. Did they REALLY think I was that far gone?  Sheesh.

But WERE you? Maybe you kinda were. That story is hilarious.

I think the Beatles (and I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to get the pun of the band's name) had a much wider range of artistic expression than the Stones, but the Stones really rocked it out. I wasn't a Stones fan even though I knew their music and thought Mick Jagger was gross until I saw them live in 1980. Wow, then I got it. I don't know whether I've ever seen another performer as charismatic onstage as Jagger. 

It's too bad that with the passage of time, I have realized how misogynistic the Stones generally were, and some early Beatles songs as well. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I know for a fact that bunnies can tell time.  We had one that knew when it was time for my husband to get home from work and would wait by the door for him.  (They would then sit on the deck together and sip martinis.)

I had a cat that would be sitting in the window every day when I came home from work. It wasn't at a set time - sometimes traffic would be worse than other times, sometimes I would work late; Chester did not really know what time I would be home.  The guy across the hall would take a chair out onto the porch & do crosswords puzzles after he got home from work.  One day, as I arrived home, he told me that Chester jumps up onto the window sill about 5 minutes before I get home, no matter what time I arrive.  It was as though he had some psychic connection to me & knew when I was getting off the freeway to come home & he'd wait to greet me.

• Love 9

Today, I had to go to Walmart. I was almost finished and still needed some wrapping paper, went over to the Christmas section to see what I could find. This was the only place in the building that I heard any music and I wish I hadn't heard what I heard. It went something like, "it's Christmas time, it's Christmas time." That was really all I heard, but it was the slowest, most dreadful thing. What it sounded like was when a 45 is played at 33. I thought as I was rushing to get away from that noise was, if I were in any kind of bad mood, this would make me depressed or if I were depressed, it would make me suicidal. I have no idea what that noise was.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, icemiser69 said:

Back in the late 80s he started to look a lot like Angela Lansbury.  He could have been her twin.

You watched Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show, right?

• Love 1

There is a live version of Stairway To Heaven that is absolutely brutal.   All because of one line that wasn't in the original song. "Does anyone remember laughter?"   Around the 4:20  mark.  Ugh, just no, it doesn't get more dorky than that.

We do not speak of that. Ever.

• LOL 5

From the discussion on Pillsbury canned products:

I make omelets with Pillsbury Grands biscuits for dinner several times a month and I have never, ever had them pop open when I peel off the cover. It usually takes me up to 6 times of trying to get them open.

• Love 4
Just now, chessiegal said:

From the discussion on Pillsbury canned products:

I make omelets with Pillsbury Grands biscuits for dinner several times a month and I have never, ever had them pop open when I peel off the cover. It usually takes me up to 6 times of trying to get them open.

I usually use a spoon to try to press the seam hard enough for it to pop open. I think in the future I'll just whack it with a knife!

• Love 1

The whole point of them, in my opinion, is the satisfaction of whumping them on the edge of the countertop. That's why I call 'em Whump Biscuits.  I make beef stew in the pressure cooker.  When it's almost done, I lower the pressure, open it up, and place some raw whump biscuits on top, close it back up, and bring the pressure back up.  After about 30 seconds of that, I cool it down and serve beef stew with dumplings.  Not very good if you don't like 'wet dough' but for those who like dumplings, they're not bad.  But then again, maybe you have to grow up with it.

My mom used to make "plum dumplings" out of a potato-based dough. It's an Eastern European recipe and our family loved them. She made them once when my brother brought his fiancé home for dinner.  Carmen went home and told her mom, "They eat raw dough!"  She wasn't aware it was mostly potato that made it so mushy and only seem to be raw.  They've been married over 50 years now and we still laugh about that story.  It's one of those foods that you have know from childhood to really appreciate.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The whole point of them, in my opinion, is the satisfaction of whumping them on the edge of the countertop. That's why I call 'em Whump Biscuits.  I make beef stew in the pressure cooker.  When it's almost done, I lower the pressure, open it up, and place some raw whump biscuits on top, close it back up, and bring the pressure back up.  After about 30 seconds of that, I cool it down and serve beef stew with dumplings.  Not very good if you don't like 'wet dough' but for those who like dumplings, they're not bad.  But then again, maybe you have to grow up with it.

My mom used to make "plum dumplings" out of a potato-based dough. It's an Eastern European recipe and our family loved them. She made them once when my brother brought his fiancé home for dinner.  Carmen went home and told her mom, "They eat raw dough!"  She wasn't aware it was mostly potato that made it so mushy and only seem to be raw.  They've been married over 50 years now and we still laugh about that story.  It's one of those foods that you have know from childhood to really appreciate.

Nothing against pressure cookers, but I make beef pot roast or stew in a cast iron Dutch oven that my mother gave to me. That thing is magic! Add a generous slug of balsamic vinegar along with whatever other liquid you're using to braise. Grands biscuits make good dumplings. Cut them into quarters.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

Audience participation must be a more recent thing.  I have never gone to a rock concert, but if I did attend one, the last thing I want to hear is the audience participate.   My singing voice is like nails on chalkboard, no one wants to hear that, not even me or my cats.

There was no audience. It was rehearsal so it was just the sound engineers, lighting crew and the band.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

I mean at concerts in general.  I just want to hear the band perform, I don't want any sing-a-longs with Phil or any other musical groups.   Apparently some of the bands encourage audience participation.  I have seen where some performers hold the mic out for the audience to get involved.  Not a fan of that at all.

Oh, I hate that too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Apparently some of the bands encourage audience participation.  I have seen where some performers hold the mic out for the audience to get involved.  Not a fan of that at all.

When that happens, it's usually only on one song, and perhaps even just part of the song.  It's not my thing, either*, but it's not a big deal over the course of a show.  What I hate is winding up next to someone who decides to sing along during the entire concert.  Fool, I came to hear her/him/them, not your off-key ass.

*Except for "As Cool As I Am" - every time I see Dar Williams perform (which is most times she's in town), the audience sings along with from "I am the others" through the final chorus, and it's an uplifting experience.  It doesn't matter that many of us can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow, a group of women and their male allies singing a feminist anthem is a great way to close out a great night.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I think Pillsbury changed it's packaging. Those things used to pop open while peeling the paper off, but I recently opened some Cinnamon rolls and had a terrible time getting them open. Whacking did no good, I used a spoon, but it was difficult.

They're hard to open if you try to when they're fresh out of the fridge. Set the can on the counter to warm up a bit and it's easier to "whump."

• Useful 6
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

They're hard to open if you try to when they're fresh out of the fridge. Set the can on the counter to warm up a bit and it's easier to "whump."

That makes so much sense! Thank you. I'll give it a try next time.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What was he thinking?🙄

There is a live version of In The Tonight - Phil Collins.   Phil Collins does an awesome job with it, but it is absolutely ruined, because the audience claps through it.

Hells Bells came on the radio yesterday, and I was thinking that the effect of the bell part at the beginning is probably ruined at concerts by the screaming.

18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I mean at concerts in general.  I just want to hear the band perform, I don't want any sing-a-longs with Phil or any other musical groups.   Apparently some of the bands encourage audience participation.  I have seen where some performers hold the mic out for the audience to get involved.  Not a fan of that at all.

Once I was at one where the lead singer kept telling us to clap. In every song. It was off-putting. How about you let us clap when the music moves us to do so?

I think I was an adult before I learned that the version of I Want You to Want Me that plays on the radio was a live version.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ABay said:

The Pillsbury cinnamon rolls can opened itself this morning. In case anyone's keeping track.

I once got stuck in a line at airport security when a woman in front of me had a can of Pop 'n Fresh dough in her carry on bag, and they kept putting it through the x-ray before they finally opened the bag to see what it was.  My first thought was "Huh, dough looks like liquid on an x-ray", followed by "Who in the Hell needs Pop 'n Fresh dough in their carry on bag?"

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Quof said:

I once got stuck in a line at airport security when a woman in front of me had a can of Pop 'n Fresh dough in her carry on bag, and they kept putting it through the x-ray before they finally opened the bag to see what it was.  My first thought was "Huh, dough looks like liquid on an x-ray", followed by "Who in the Hell needs Pop 'n Fresh dough in their carry on bag?"

You pop it open after take off and it'll sound like a gunshot and freak everyone out.

• LOL 6