Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

On 7/6/2020 at 8:45 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

How could you wait nine months before getting another kitty?  At four weeks, I was dreaming about Scooter being happy & healthy again, chasing dragonflies. Two days later, Stella came into my life. Six months later, she determined she wanted a kitten and I had to get Bosco for her. He's her cat, not mine. LOL. Bosco's the black one. Stella is the tortie who never heard of "tortitude." They're waiting for the toys to roll back out from under the washer.

2012.07.25.CROP Waiting for the toys to come back out.JPG

i know all about Tortitude and Calico attitude as well. In the past i have had 2 calicos Maggie and Sassy, 3 Toties Mrs Norris, Jinxy and October. October is the only one living. I had Maggie for 15 years before she passed on...

• Love 5
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

i know all about Tortitude and Calico attitude as well. In the past i have had 2 calicos Maggie and Sassy, 3 Toties Mrs Norris, Jinxy and October. October is the only one living. I had Maggie for 15 years before she passed on...

I loved my tortie so much. That's probably why I'm still not ready to get another cat. She was the smartest, sweetest cat I've ever had. I miss her so much.

Edited by peacheslatour
Because Mrs. Norris is an awesome name.
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I loved my tortie so much. That's probably why I'm still not ready to get another cat. She was the smartest, sweetest cat I've ever had. I miss her so much.

October is a good kitty but she goes after the other cats that I have... LOL

• LOL 2

One looks like a bush, the other looks like a tree.   Filberts seem to produce nuts much more quickly than other types of nut trees.  They are also great to plant in an effort to help stop soil erosion.

There was an elementary school near where I grew up that had a whole orchard of filberts and didn't the kids have fun sneaking in there in the summer for a feast!

• Love 3

Hurry for Lucy! I love her beautiful blue eyes, Silver Raven!

Re: Kroger

I used to be a loyal Kroger shopper for many, many years until my local store did a reset and the tops of the shelves are only reachable if you play for the NBA. If I go in there, I just pop in for a minute to either get a bottle of wine or something else I can't find at Food Lion.

• Love 3

They don't have any Pogo sticks lying around?  They shouldn't take up that much room. I would find it hysterical seeing customers using one, bouncing up and down in an effort to reach items on the top shelf.

Sure, it's all fun and games until someone breaks a hip.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Sure, it's all fun and games until someone breaks a hip.

LOL many years ago I bought a t-shirt with this:

image.png.5407ca7dd8cb12fc7697e08f8e996e2d.png

When I wore it, women laughed and men looked horrified. Good times!

• LOL 12
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I used to be a loyal Kroger shopper for many, many years until my local store did a reset and the tops of the shelves are only reachable if you play for the NBA. If I go in there, I just pop in for a minute to either get a bottle of wine or something else I can't find at Food Lion.

I worked with a woman who enjoyed finding handsome young men to help her reach things on higher shelves. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I worked with a woman who enjoyed finding handsome young men to help her reach things on higher shelves. 

If she was like my elderly mother, all young men (under age 50? 60?) are handsome.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

If she was like my elderly mother, all young men (under age 50? 60?) are handsome.

She was amazing! It was the mid-late 80s. She was probably in her mid fifties, wore those Candies heeled sandals, heavy lipliner and rocked a beehive. The sweetest woman, and so funny.

Edited by SweetieDarling
not a big beehive, but her hair was somehow spun around her head like cotton candy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

She was amazing! It was the mid-late 80s. She was probably in her mid fifties, wore those Candies heeled sandals, heavy lipliner and rocked a beehive. The sweetest woman, and so funny.

Oh, I loved Candies. The backless kind like Marilyn Monroe used to wear. I had them in red, black, turquoise and pink. And I could run in them. I don't think I could even walk in them now, let alone run.

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, I loved Candies. The backless kind like Marilyn Monroe used to wear. I had them in red, black, turquoise and pink. And I could run in them. I don't think I could even walk in them now, let alone run.

YES! Those are the shoes! I think hers were the plain wooden/white ones. You could RUN in those?! I bow down to you 🙇‍♀️

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 1
28 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

Oh, good God, Candies! Those shoes were deadly. The platforms/sole were made of a super slippery plastic that made every surface seem like an ice rink. I fell while wearing those damn shoes as often as I stayed on my feet. And yet, I kept wearing them, because: FASHION!

image.png.be1b85e6e77fdf74a57e0d1b53a9a1eb.png

I feel that we've had this conversation before LOL. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Little 5'2 me just climbs the shelves. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Sundance is adding Saved By the Bell to their lineup.  Barf.

That is another tv series that already airs on MeTV.

Next Tuesday, they (Sundance), according to my cable tv schedule, is cutting back significantly on the Monk episodes, and a bunch of Saved By the Bell episodes air in some of those time slots.  I don't know if that is a one time thing or a permanent change.

Nooooooo! I watch Monk every Tuesday most of the day. It is great background noise plus I love Tony Shalhoub in that role...he is so perfect.

• Love 4

Hi friends! My elderly mother is having a cardiac ablation tomorrow and according to her, the surgeon told her today when she went in for a less invasive procedure that if they can't correct the "flutter" of her heart rhythm (which has been diagnosed as atrial fibrillation for a couple of years but as of today is suddenly not 😒) they will just "turn off her heart" so the pacemaker that was implanted six weeks ago without a successful outcome can take over from now on. We can't visit her in the hospital because Covid-19 has spiked dramatically in Austin.

If you have a minute to send a prayer her way, I would appreciate it.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Hi friends! My elderly mother is having a cardiac ablation tomorrow and according to her, the surgeon told her today when she went in for a less invasive procedure that if they can't correct the "flutter" of her heart rhythm (which has been diagnosed as atrial fibrillation for a couple of years but as of today is suddenly not 😒) they will just "turn off her heart" so the pacemaker that was implanted six weeks ago without a successful outcome can take over from now on. We can't visit her in the hospital because Covid-19 has spiked dramatically in Austin.

Prayer sent.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Of course, honey. All the thoughts for your mom.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Of course, honey. All the thoughts for your mom.

Thank you @peacheslatour. I'm not gonna lie, you calling me honey made me cry, not a sad cry but a grateful one. I felt hugged. Small kindnesses mean so much. Same to @chessiegal and all who reacted to my original post.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Prayer sent.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Update: the surgery went well, the surgeon feels confident that the problem was identified and dealt with (it takes a little healing time for the patient to feel the benefit, if I understand correctly). Mom feels okay and will be going home today. Since we also can't visit her in her retirement community, it's a little frustrating, but home health is provided so she'll have people checking in on her. 

It's a little challenging to adequately express my deep appreciation for the caring and support from my fellow posters here. It's different from "in real life" friends and family in a way that I can't quite explain. I know a lot of people scoff about "online friends" but this is a real community, and I sure have felt that over the last few days. My heartfelt thanks to you.

I'm so glad. My dad is also in a retirement facility (memory care) and I haven't seen him since January because they locked down after a flu outbreak in Feb. but if he had to recover from surgery anywhere, I'd be glad it was there. They have excellent protocols in place to keep him healthy and safe. I'm sure your mom is in very good hands. I guess even though we can't visit with our loved ones we're lucky they're getting great care. The best to your mom. 💞

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

The way Pam Ewing show Bobby in the shower ("It was all a bad dream, honey.") and got accustomed to having her husband around again.

And over on Knotts Landing, Val & Gary named a kid Bobby in honor of his dead uncle. I always wondered what happened to that kid once Bobby showed  up in the shower again. Did the kid's name change?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And over on Knotts Landing, Val & Gary named a kid Bobby in honor of his dead uncle. I always wondered what happened to that kid once Bobby showed  up in the shower again. Did the kid's name change?

The whole thing was just a dream in some kid's snow globe.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Citizen Kane reference?

I don't think I have seen the movie since middle school, in school. 

I have never had a sled named Rosebud.  I did have a Flexible Flyer that I lost control of and "steered" straight into a tree.  The sled stopped, my body kept going into the tree.  Luckily, I was able to maneuver my head out of the way and took most of the force into my right shoulder.

OW!! I was referring to the St. Elsewhere series finale. It was just as dumb as it sounds.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

OW!! I was referring to the St. Elsewhere series finale. It was just as dumb as it sounds.

And I totally loved it!  It took me about 20 minutes to realize what had happened, and I think it was a stunning ending (stunning in a good way). 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought it was brilliant! I only watched the show sporadically, but I loved the ending.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

don't see Perry Mason on their schedule anywhere.  That didn't last long.  They pulled it quickly.

MeTV airs it every weekday, once in the morning and again in the evening.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They took FETV out of my market. Now it's just some religious thing that sells prayers telethon-like. 😒

Where do you live? I've never heard of FETV, I don't think, but am intrigued. I'm still waiting for someone to put The Rockford Files back on the air, since Cozi's right to run episodes expired.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have lost a a few digital sub-channels that I liked and have had them replaced with horribly repetitive crappy digital sub-channels.  If that isn't bad enough, most of the time they are filled with overlays of infomercials, and the video quality is pretty poor.

There are more than a few channels I would like to swap out for others that I would have more interest in.

I'd trade all nine hundred and forty seven sports channels I have to get TCM back.

• Love 11