Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

I bought a Mohu antenna that said it could pick up on the air channels within 60 miles. I'm 30 miles from both DC and Baltimore, and can get exactly 3 channels, all of which I get on cable. I bought the antenna to get Decades in DC. No go.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I bought a Mohu antenna that said it could pick up on the air channels within 60 miles. I'm 30 miles from both DC and Baltimore, and can get exactly 3 channels, all of which I get on cable. I bought the antenna to get Decades in DC. No go.

11 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yeah, we are way too far from everything, have to have cable.  It sucks.

Oh, man, I am SO sorry for both of you.  The other thing I really like is my Roku stick. I can watch Amazon Prime & Netflix on my TV. I also have the Acorn channel. I had BritBox, but I watched everything I wanted to see and it just wasn't worth $6.99/month to wait for them to get the new seasons of the shows I like. And now I've found...holy moley!... there's a Bob Ross Joy of Painting CHANNEL!  Bwaahahahahaha.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, man, I am SO sorry for both of you.  The other thing I really like is my Roku stick. I can watch Amazon Prime & Netflix on my TV. I also have the Acorn channel. I had BritBox, but I watched everything I wanted to see and it just wasn't worth $6.99/month to wait for them to get the new seasons of the shows I like. And now I've found...holy moley!... there's a Bob Ross Joy of Painting CHANNEL!  Bwaahahahahaha.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  We bought a Fire TV which came with Amazon Prime and I imported Acorn on it.  Thinking of getting BritBox, too.  That KILLS ME there is a Bob Ross CHANNEL!!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I first started watching Cozi, I called it the Jessica Fletcher channel. And in light of the weather the NE is having, I got to thinking - for all the shows with Jessica in Cabot Cove, how come we never saw snow on the ground? Why did no one get murdered during a winter snowstorm in Maine?  (Yeah, I know - it's a little town north of L.A. on the Pacific Coast that stood in for Cabot Cove, but stil...)

Maybe Jessica hated the cold or didn't want to risk slipping on ice, so she'd sometimes take a pass on solving a murder. Harder to explain is the high murder rate. I've heard that Monk had the same issue, and that was set in San Francisco.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

My mother was convinced that Jessica Fletcher was a serial killer. She wasn’t the only one. There’s a whole product line for this picture:

0CACF0B1-852C-4DA1-80C9-C6984EA806BF.png.26c4eda01913b1ef7178ee2074053a25.png

And then she baked them into meat pies. [/Sweeney Todd:Mrs. Lovett]

• Love 10
On 1/23/2019 at 10:17 PM, kariyaki said:

My mother was convinced that Jessica Fletcher was a serial killer. She wasn’t the only one.

I always believed that.  Since she committed the murders, she knew how to frame some poor sap each week.

• Love 4

From the duck penis discussion in one of the threads (now that is not a sentence I type every day) ...

It puts the phrase "fuck a duck" in a whole new light. 

Actually, I'd heard the basics before, about the corkscrew design and gang rape, but I had no idea a Muscovy duck's penis was 7-1/2 inches long.  The whole duck is only about 30 inches long!  But the penis is inside the body when not in use.  And, yep, there is video out there of the crazy corkscrew penis springing out for those who care to look.

• Love 3

Thank you!  Re: the housecat's barbed penis - that's why she screams during mating. It's the raking of the vaginal walls with that barbed penis that triggers ovulation.  Please spay/neuter your kitties - it's not fun for them, or they'd be doing it all the time, like we do!

• Love 5
On January 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM, chessiegal said:

Just happened to see this post now, @chessiegal
I am 30 miles from Chicago and have used a Mohu Leaf for about 9 years. Putting it on a wall only gets 3 channels, but putting it in a window facing the city gets 40-55, depending upon the weather. The higher you can put it, the better. I don't follow this thread, so message me if you have any questions.

• Love 1

I had wondered how these little washers worked. In the comments some people said that there's a model with a spin cycle for $40 more which is double what Vivian paid for the basic one she tested.

• Useful 1

I am on a prescription blood thinner due to Deep Vein Thrombosis. My OB/GYN discovered recently that my uterus is the size of Montreal because of fibroid tumors. I am also nearing menopause so my periods are all kinds of fun right now. I really need to have a hysterectomy, but I've never had major surgery like that and I'm a bit scared. But honestly sometimes during "that time of the month" when I'm wanting to scream, cry and laugh at the same time, I have the urge to call my doctor and say, "Schedule that surgery for tomorrow!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I am on a prescription blood thinner due to Deep Vein Thrombosis. My OB/GYN discovered recently that my uterus is the size of Montreal because of fibroid tumors. I am also nearing menopause so my periods are all kinds of fun right now. I really need to have a hysterectomy, but I've never had major surgery like that and I'm a bit scared. But honestly sometimes during "that time of the month" when I'm wanting to scream, cry and laugh at the same time, I have the urge to call my doctor and say, "Schedule that surgery for tomorrow!"

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1995 (I was 45). It started out on why I was having such painful periods. Turned out it was endometriosis. In the process, they discovered an enlarged ovary that the doctor said had to come out. Turns out it was late Stage 1 ovarian cancer, so everything had to come out. It was my first major surgery, and yes, it's scary. I got through it just fine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1995 (I was 45). It started out on why I was having such painful periods. Turned out it was endometriosis. In the process, they discovered an enlarged ovary that the doctor said had to come out. Turns out it was late Stage 1 ovarian cancer, so everything had to come out. It was my first major surgery, and yes, it's scary. I got through it just fine.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that but I'm very glad they caught it in time. ❤️

• Love 8
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Dang, what a way to find that out! Glad they caught it early enough and all ultimately turned out well for you :). 

• Love 5
On March 24, 2019 at 8:06 AM, chessiegal said:

I tried putting it in a window - no difference. I wonder if it's because our house is at such a low elevation.

Mine is low, but not below the surroundings.

Mohu also has a rooftop version, which I would get if I owned my home.

Most important with the leaf is to have it in a window facing the city that broadcasts the signals.

I live in my sister's house (which in reality that she is just starting to face, is just as much my house as it is hers legally). She has Dish, which I am trying to wean her off of and go with streaming like Sling. I have Philo and we can put up to 3 devices on it, so if she'd pay the $25 month for Sling, she'd save about $40/month and still have as much tv as she has with Dish. But that's another battle for another day. Last summer Dish was required to install an outdoor antenna on the house, change in state or local laws, they cannot charge for local tv channels and were required to install antennas. It was too big of a mess last summer when they were here because the tv in my room is not hooked up to Dish. But my great-nephew has moved in. I had hoped he could install a splitter on the roof antenna and he probably still will, but he was hit by a truck almost 2 weeks ago and broke his femur, now has a titanium rod in his leg, so no climbing on roofs for quite a while. I'm having to make do with my indoor antenna, it was in the window, I could get ION, but not Cozi and Buzzer. He has moved some things in my room and moved the antenna. Then I was able to get Cozi and Buzzer but not ION. Then we had a storm, now I cannot get ION, Cozi or Buzzer. I'm planning on moving some other things in my room and moving the wire around again and I hope I can get all those channels. I had gotten re-hooked on Supermarket Sweep. I used to love that show!

But, I keep forgetting the commercial threads are here. The new format has moved them and I don't get notifications and I don't readily see the commercial stuff. I think I've finally got the tv shows I want where I can see them and find others, but I'm going to have to study about adding the specific commercial threads to my followed content. I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I had hoped he could install a splitter on the roof antenna and he probably still will, but he was hit by a truck almost 2 weeks ago and broke his femur, now has a titanium rod in his leg, so no climbing on roofs for quite a while.

The splitter doesn't have to be on the roof. It can be put at the other end of the cable connected to the antenna, if that's more convenient.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The splitter doesn't have to be on the roof. It can be put at the other end of the cable connected to the antenna, if that's more convenient.

thanks, that's good to know, but with where everything is located, I think it's still going to involve a ladder and I know it's going to involve my nephew doing it so it's going to be months before he's capable. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s Easter Bunny time!  Mookie Wilson was not really having it this year.1321d46f-0fa6-4073-a08d-9b13a4740b9d.jpg

😂His expression says it all. If we never hear from you again, we know what happened...

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 4/13/2019 at 1:03 PM, mojoween said:

It’s Easter Bunny time!  Mookie Wilson was not really having it this year.

This year? I've seen you post these before, and I've never seen Mookie look happy to be with the Easter Bunny.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

There's a pet supply store in my city that offers to take pictures of your pet with the Easter Bunny and Santa, and people bring in lots of pets besides cats and dogs -- rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, birds, lizards, snakes, etc.  An employee told me that cats are the most difficult to work with and bearded dragons are the easiest (always calm, natural smile). 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

This year? I've seen you post these before, and I've never seen Mookie look happy to be with the Easter Bunny.

Or Santa, either -- Mookie's I will kill you in your sleep for this face is memorable across holidays.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

There's a pet supply store in my city that offers to take pictures of your pet with the Easter Bunny and Santa, and people bring in lots of pets besides cats and dogs -- rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, birds, lizards, snakes, etc.  An employee told me that cats are the most difficult to work with and bearded dragons are the easiest (always calm, natural smile). 

I bet sloths are even better. Natural smile, super mellow.

1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Ha!  That is true.  However, this time there was yowling and hitting (of me, the Bunny made it out alive).

• LOL 4
54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I bet sloths are even better. Natural smile, super mellow.

It's illegal to keep sloths as pets where I live (Calif) -- can't imagine why, they don't seem wide awake enough to cause any trouble.  I do have a stuffed toy one and she is a calming influence on the pet cats.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

It's illegal to keep sloths as pets where I live (Calif) -- can't imagine why, they don't seem wide awake enough to cause any trouble.  I do have a stuffed toy one and she is a calming influence on the pet cats.

Probably super strict diet.

I wanted to post about a commercial I saw a couple days ago when I got here to post not long after seeing it I had forgotten what company it was for. I haven't seen the commercial since and It's frustrating me.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I wanted to post about a commercial I saw a couple days ago when I got here to post not long after seeing it I had forgotten what company it was for. I haven't seen the commercial since and It's frustrating me.

I know! But, hey, if it was an annoying enough commercial, I'm sure we'll see it again, heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Is it still illegal in Calif to own ferrets?

15 hours ago, Jaded said:

Yeah, I remember that one too!  😊

• LOL 2

It used to be illegal in Georgia to own ferrets, because there wasn't an effective rabies vaccine for them. Then, some legislators were worried that, because they're also called Polecats, they might mate with domestic cats and create some FrankenFerret.  The wild man Young Democrat legislator said, "Yeah - the product of a cat and a ferret would be a carrot!" That STILL didn't make the lege realize how idiotic they were being. They just thought, "oh, that's Doug being Doug," and continued to ban ownership of ferrets. With a vaccine and much public pressure, they finally gave in. There has yet to be any Carrot births reported.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Isn't also illegal to own snakes in HI?

I don't know and haven't been able to find out by Googling sporadically during the last few hours.  I did see a passing reference to a hedgehog ban (why?) and some disparaging remarks about ball pythons (bigots!), but no nice tidy citation to a current statute addressing the issue of whether serpents are welcome in paradise. 

• Love 1