Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Add me to the hermit club. I even buy athletic shoes online (orthotics.com - I only wear Vionic shoes) and groceries via InstaCart. If the store is running low, they ask up front if you want to substitute and give you choices or you can say not to substitute and you get a refund. You can watch online as things are found & put in the cart and if the shopper has to change something about your order, you can address it right then. I asked for puff pastry sheets and she put phyllo in the cart. I asked for a refund and got it immediately. They're very good about getting you what you want, store brands & all. The only problem is beer. They won't buy anything alcoholic, or even my favorite non-alkie beer.  Since I DO have to go to the store once a month to pick up my prescription, I get the Beck's NA then.  Most of the time, they do a good job of picking out good-looking, not overripe, produce.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Add me to the hermit club. I even buy athletic shoes online (orthotics.com - I only wear Vionic shoes) and groceries via InstaCart. If the store is running low, they ask up front if you want to substitute and give you choices or you can say not to substitute and you get a refund. You can watch online as things are found & put in the cart and if the shopper has to change something about your order, you can address it right then. I asked for puff pastry sheets and she put phyllo in the cart. I asked for a refund and got it immediately. They're very good about getting you what you want, store brands & all. The only problem is beer. They won't buy anything alcoholic, or even my favorite non-alkie beer.  Since I DO have to go to the store once a month to pick up my prescription, I get the Beck's NA then.  Most of the time, they do a good job of picking out good-looking, not overripe, produce.

The only food items I've bought from Amazon are "odd" items that my grocery store doesn't carry --- farro and halvah. I do buy my supplements (CoQ10 and Preservision) from Amazon. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2019 at 11:29 AM, peacheslatour said:

Of course, I'm  basically a hermit introvert so YMMV.

Yes!! Of course, I have sensory overload issues and that makes things worse. Online shopping is a godsend for people like us.

• Love 3

I may have to check out InstaCart to see if it's available here. I've been using Walmart delivery and overall I like it except, it's Walmart. Sometimes they substitute, and sometimes they don't, when you place your order you can mark things you don't mind a substitute for. A couple of weeks ago, they substituted half gallons of milk for full gallons, on the 2%, I would have only gotten 1 half gallon. But on the other hand, I live with 2 milk drinkers who say they only drink whole milk but feel entitled to drink every drop of milk in the house as fast as they possibly can. For someone who has live alone for most of her adult life, is not a big consumer of milk, this is extremely annoying. But on the other hand, if I am making cream gravy or a cream soup, I feel not one iota of guilt for using a couple of cups of their precious whole milk. On my last order, I had ordered chips to use for nachos, the brand wasn't particularly important, I would rather have had a substitution than none at all, I got none at all. I guess it depends on who is doing the shopping. My next order will be the day before Thanksgiving and I hate doing that to a shopper, but I will have to and then in December, it will be Christmas Eve when I'm paid, so I'll place my orders about 2 AM and schedule the earliest delivery so maybe it won't be too awful for the shoppers. But I do love not ever going into a Walmart store. I usually do a couple of orders a month.

I get Pizzelle cookies from Amazon, a couple of times a year. I may order some later this month, my idiot dog got the last half bag and ate them. The local stores here do not carry them, they used to be available seasonally from the Wonderbread stores, but they've all closed. I guess there's not a large Italian population in Tulsa, lol. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

People need more exercise than walking to the door picking up a package and then sitting back down.  Sure it is convenient getting products that way, assuming that items arrived perfectly and not damaged or the wrong item.

I agree, but there are people that ordering on line really helps.  There are the elderly (who may not do it anyway).  People without cars who live in small towns without much of, if any, a  public transportation system.  People recuperating from surgery.  And then there are some itmes you just can't find locally.

• Love 10

And then there are people who do like to recreationally shop and browse for fun stuff, but really could do without making time in a 45-hour+ workweek to do the mundane, everyday things (groceries, cat food/litter, various filters for faucets and furnaces--so many household filters!--makeup, cleaning products, whatever). I like to save my free time for stuff I actually want to do (and, of course, the housework for which I use those cleaning products). 

• Love 4

People need more exercise than walking to the door picking up a package and then sitting back down.  Sure it is convenient getting products that way, assuming that items arrived perfectly and not damaged or the wrong item.

I have severe arthritis in both hips. I used to be extremely athletic so I'm still in pretty good shape otherwise. I also have no interest in dealing with other people. I have never once received a damaged package, the wrong item or any other problem with ordering on line. Before that I shopped catalogs almost exclusively. I know what brands to order and what the quality is like.

• Love 3

I agree.  I just think that in general that people need to be careful not to completely cut themselves off from doing things in the real world. 

Oh, yes. And the moving around part from your previous post too. Ever since I took a job with a commute that has me sitting on my ass in a car for 3 hours a day and all day at a desk, I need to remember to move more! Not only have I gained a few pounds but I feel different. Ugh, I hate it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I get Pizzelle cookies from Amazon, a couple of times a year. I may order some later this month, my idiot dog got the last half bag and ate them. The local stores here do not carry them, they used to be available seasonally from the Wonderbread stores, but they've all closed. I guess there's not a large Italian population in Tulsa, lol. 

I'm lucky in that my cousin's wife is from an Italian family, and she's made pizzella for special occasions for as long as I can remember.

My last thought about online shopping: for those of you who like it or find it necessary for whatever reason, I'm not advocating for doing away with it.  But for me, I'd rather just get what I want from an actual store where I can see what I'm buying.  I pass 3 grocery stores on my way home from work every day, so it's no great inconvenience to shop at one of them, and buying store brand for most of the items on my list is cheaper than name brand stuff at Amazon.  Which I do use for non-grocery items that I can't find in an actual store - like the all regions dvd player I got about 6 months ago.

• Love 6

I do like and use the online grocery ordering and delivery because I do not have a car and taxis are expensive, in the long run, it's cheaper for delivery, I've used codes for free delivery the last few times I've ordered, so all I have to do is tip the driver. If I had a car, there'd probably be more frequent and smaller trips to the store, but I don't so delivery has been a godsend.

Proserpina, I'd love to have an Italian relative who made Pizzelles for me now and then, but I don't. I learned to love them when I had an Italian boyfriend and lived on the East coast, his mother would make them and send them home with him. When I was working, one day, I was going into the building and one of our doctors came along with her arms loaded with Christmas cookies for her unit, I helped her carry her things in and was exclaiming over her pizzelles. A couple of days later she brought me my own plateful. I did share with my office mates but I took several home. I was one of the few people at the hospital who knew what they were.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I do like and use the online grocery ordering and delivery because I do not have a car and taxis are expensive, in the long run, it's cheaper for delivery, I've used codes for free delivery the last few times I've ordered, so all I have to do is tip the driver. If I had a car, there'd probably be more frequent and smaller trips to the store, but I don't so delivery has been a godsend.

Proserpina, I'd love to have an Italian relative who made Pizzelles for me now and then, but I don't. I learned to love them when I had an Italian boyfriend and lived on the East coast, his mother would make them and send them home with him. When I was working, one day, I was going into the building and one of our doctors came along with her arms loaded with Christmas cookies for her unit, I helped her carry her things in and was exclaiming over her pizzelles. A couple of days later she brought me my own plateful. I did share with my office mates but I took several home. I was one of the few people at the hospital who knew what they were.

My grandma had a good friend who was Italian and she made these thin waffle cookies flavored with anise. I loved those so much.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

that's the cookies we're talking about. They are wonderful, except Quark got the last half bag I had of them, that'll teach me to leave the box where he can get it.

I thought pizzelles were more scalloped and had to be made with a special long handled iron shaped like a flower.

9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I may have to check out InstaCart to see if it's available here. I've been using Walmart delivery and overall I like it except, it's Walmart. Sometimes they substitute, and sometimes they don't, when you place your order you can mark things you don't mind a substitute for. A couple of weeks ago, they substituted half gallons of milk for full gallons, on the 2%, I would have only gotten 1 half gallon. But on the other hand, I live with 2 milk drinkers who say they only drink whole milk but feel entitled to drink every drop of milk in the house as fast as they possibly can. For someone who has live alone for most of her adult life, is not a big consumer of milk, this is extremely annoying. But on the other hand, if I am making cream gravy or a cream soup, I feel not one iota of guilt for using a couple of cups of their precious whole milk. On my last order, I had ordered chips to use for nachos, the brand wasn't particularly important, I would rather have had a substitution than none at all, I got none at all. I guess it depends on who is doing the shopping. My next order will be the day before Thanksgiving and I hate doing that to a shopper, but I will have to and then in December, it will be Christmas Eve when I'm paid, so I'll place my orders about 2 AM and schedule the earliest delivery so maybe it won't be too awful for the shoppers. But I do love not ever going into a Walmart store. I usually do a couple of orders a month.

Do you have Shipt in your area? I have used them for about a year and am happy with them. They are not perfect but nothing is.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2019 at 12:59 PM, proserpina65 said:

My last thought about online shopping: for those of you who like it or find it necessary for whatever reason, I'm not advocating for doing away with it.  But for me, I'd rather just get what I want from an actual store where I can see what I'm buying.  I pass 3 grocery stores on my way home from work every day, so it's no great inconvenience to shop at one of them, and buying store brand for most of the items on my list is cheaper than name brand stuff at Amazon.  Which I do use for non-grocery items that I can't find in an actual store - like the all regions dvd player I got about 6 months ago.

I use Instacart or HEB delivery for bulky or heavy items or for things that don't require any subjective decisions, such as frozen foods, moisturizer or shampoo. I live on the third floor of my apartment complex and it is well worth the cost to have someone else carry everything to my door. For produce or other things that need a keen eye, I shop myself. Ever since I got a container of cherry tomatoes that contained a large cockroach. At least it was dead.

Edited by Ashforth
because objective and subjective are totally different.

OK, so.... kids and food.... the one that frosts my pumpkin is Uncrustables ---- the frozen PB&J sammies. Good gawd, mama (or daddy). You can't find the time, on the weekend or other day off, to make 10 PB&J sandwiches, cut the crust off, stick them in freezer bags and put them in the freezer? I mean, how long could that take? And that would be 2 school weeks worth of sandwiches. Instead, you pay $1.50 per sandwich. And THAT'S assuming that you buy the economy size box. 

• Love 5

Re the kids and food discussion from "annoy" ...  I was a pre-teen when I realized that if Mom didn't like the food, she never cooked it. We *never* had broccoli at home. Those nasty frozen Brussels sprouts heated up in hot water, yeah. Broccoli, no. (Now I love fresh BSprouts roasted in the oven.) We never had lettuce-based salads until both my brother and I came home from school and asked why we didn't have them. They soon made regular appearances at dinner - Mom had just never thought of it; she wasn't raised with 'em, so it wasn't in her wheelhouse.

My Dad had a simple palate, wouldn't even eat fish. There were many times Mom cooked something for herself and we two kids and something else for Pop. But I really hated the day she discovered Campbell's Cream of Celery Soup. OMG - she put that as a sauce on practically everything. We ate a lot of frozen pot pies, too, mostly so we could save the aluminum pans, cut holes in the middle and put them on the outdoor Xmas lights. The fifties were weird.

• LOL 5

We never had lettuce-based salads until both my brother and I came home from school and asked why we didn't have them. They soon made regular appearances at dinner - Mom had just never thought of it; she wasn't raised with 'em, so it wasn't in her wheelhouse.

My grandma had a degree in Home economics and Nutrition and she had no idea about salads. She used to say to my mom and aunt "You girls bring the salad, I don't know how to make them." It was not a thing in her day.

• Love 1

For a few years, I had a stepfather who did “you’ll sit there till you finish it” to me, and “put it in the refrigerator and have it tomorrow” a couple of times(my mom, who wasn’t raised that way, eventually put a stop to it).  To this day, I still have issues with certain foods; the smell of peas makes me want to hurl.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, smittykins said:

For a few years, I had a stepfather who did “you’ll sit there till you finish it” to me, and “put it in the refrigerator and have it tomorrow” a couple of times(my mom, who wasn’t raised that way, eventually put a stop to it).  To this day, I still have issues with certain foods; the smell of peas makes me want to hurl.

I think being controlling about food is not healthy. It's not the most important thing in the world, kids don't have much control over anything in their lives. I believe allowing them to make their own choices is a good way to build trust and as long as they get a variety of proteins, dairy, fruits and veg and carbs there is nothing to stress about.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

OK, so.... kids and food.... the one that frosts my pumpkin is Uncrustables ---- the frozen PB&J sammies. Good gawd, mama (or daddy). You can't find the time, on the weekend or other day off, to make 10 PB&J sandwiches, cut the crust off, stick them in freezer bags and put them in the freezer? I mean, how long could that take? And that would be 2 school weeks worth of sandwiches. Instead, you pay $1.50 per sandwich. And THAT'S assuming that you buy the economy size box. 

My husband loves them.  He has food issues (not a picky eater, but his mother withheld food from them as a punishment), and he hates making his lunch.  He used to eat out all the time, and it was killing our finances, so I made him lunch for a time, but grew weary.  Those are a good compromise, as they're already done, and he just puts them in his lunch box.  But yes, I see your point.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I think being controlling about food is not healthy. It's not the most important thing in the world, kids don't have much control over anything in their lives. I believe allowing them to make their own choices is a good way to build trust and as long as they get a variety of proteins, dairy, fruits and veg and carbs there is nothing to stress about.

I so agree with this. I mentioned my friend in the other thread and it really stresses me out. Her kids will eat most of the food on their plate. Making them sit there to eat the last two baby potatoes or whatever is just so weird to me. I agree kids have the right to say "I'm full." If they say that and run off immediately to the dessert table, that's one thing. But from what I see, her kids don't do that.

Also, if we're hanging out with them, it's usually because it's a get-together with lots of families and kids. We're usually eating junky party foods (hot dogs, beans, dips, etc), so nothing of high nutritional value to start with. And they want to play with their friends! I sometimes feel bad because I let my kid get up when he says he's done. Ugh.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, tanyak said:

I so agree with this. I mentioned my friend in the other thread and it really stresses me out. Her kids will eat most of the food on their plate. Making them sit there to eat the last two baby potatoes or whatever is just so weird to me. I agree kids have the right to say "I'm full." If they say that and run off immediately to the dessert table, that's one thing. But from what I see, her kids don't do that.

Also, if we're hanging out with them, it's usually because it's a get-together with lots of families and kids. We're usually eating junky party foods (hot dogs, beans, dips, etc), so nothing of high nutritional value to start with. And they want to play with their friends! I sometimes feel bad because I let my kid get up when he says he's done. Ugh.

Some people get their egos all tangled up with food issues. They have to prove they are the authority and if a child challenges that by conveying their own food preferences they feel attacked. It's not a hill worth dying on.

• Love 5

I agree with everyone saying taking a hard-line approach to food isn't a good idea.  I certainly don't think kids should be allowed to proclaim they don't eat vegetables, or have a list of "don't like it" foods so extensive that basically all they eat is mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, and carrot sticks.  (Which is what a former friend of mine was allowed to do as a kid, resulting in her still eating only half a dozen foods as an adult.)  But kids, like all people, have things they really find unpleasant to eat, and they shouldn't be forced to eat those things.

As I recall, the general rule in my parents' house was I had to try everything - no declaring something icky without tasting it - and I had to eat a little bit of the things I didn't particularly care for, but I did not have to eat the things I truly couldn't stand.  So if the vegetable was peas, which I can't stand, I didn't have to eat any, even though that meant the only vegetables I ate that night were in the side salad.  If it was Brussels sprouts, which I now love and crave but was just "meh" on back then, I had to eat some, and got a properly balanced meal.  There were many more of those nights, so it was fine, nutritionally.

And, while my mom didn't make something different for me (something I wouldn't do, either; I'd be the "I'm not running a restaurant here" mom), she made sure not to make a whole meal out of things from my "don't particularly care for" list.  So if the main course was something I was "meh" about, she paired it with sides I really liked, and vice versa.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I agree with everyone saying taking a hard-line approach to food isn't a good idea.  I certainly don't think kids should be allowed to proclaim they don't eat vegetables, or have a list of "don't like it" foods so extensive that basically all they eat is mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, and carrot sticks.  (Which is what a former friend of mine was allowed to do as a kid, resulting in her still eating only half a dozen foods as an adult.)  But kids, like all people, have things they really find unpleasant to eat, and they shouldn't be forced to eat those things.

As I recall, the general rule in my parents' house was I had to try everything - no declaring something icky without tasting it - and I had to eat a little bit of the things I didn't particularly care for, but I did not have to eat the things I truly couldn't stand.  So if the vegetable was peas, which I can't stand, I didn't have to eat any, even though that meant the only vegetables I ate that night were in the side salad.  If it was Brussels sprouts, which I now love and crave but was just "meh" on back then, I had to eat some, and got a properly balanced meal.  There were many more of those nights, so it was fine, nutritionally.

And, while my mom didn't make something different for me (something I wouldn't do, either; I'd be the "I'm not running a restaurant here" mom), she made sure not to make a whole meal out of things from my "don't particularly care for" list.  So if the main course was something I was "meh" about, she paired it with sides I really liked, and vice versa.

She sounds like a great mom. My mom was the same "Just try one bite" one of her other fav sayings was "I'm not a short order cook."  But if it hadn't been for her try one bite policy, I wouldn't be miserable avocado addict I am today.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

My late MIL was very much the "I make what I want and you can eat it or suffer" kind.  He said she'd microwave this really stinky fish and dump a can of mushrooms over it, and crap like that.  God forbid you make a face, or pick things out of it.  My late step sister in law picked walnuts off the top of brownies she made once.  Fifteen years later, she was still griping about it.

What bothered me is that she bought stuff for herself (lots of junk food, and name brand stuff) and kept that in a cabinet with a padlock on it.  That was for her, and her only.  The kids got stuff from Save A Lot, across the street.  Now I don't mind the stuff from Save A Lot and similar stores (because it's often made by the name brand companies with just a different label - not all the time, but a lot of the time), but it sends a bad message to keept stuff under lock and key, which you then eat in front of them, and let them know they can't have any.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

My late MIL was very much the "I make what I want and you can eat it or suffer" kind.  He said she'd microwave this really stinky fish and dump a can of mushrooms over it, and crap like that.  God forbid you make a face, or pick things out of it.  My late step sister in law picked walnuts off the top of brownies she made once.  Fifteen years later, she was still griping about it.

What bothered me is that she bought stuff for herself (lots of junk food, and name brand stuff) and kept that in a cabinet with a padlock on it.  That was for her, and her only.  The kids got stuff from Save A Lot, across the street.  Now I don't mind the stuff from Save A Lot and similar stores (because it's often made by the name brand companies with just a different label - not all the time, but a lot of the time), but it sends a bad message to keept stuff under lock and key, which you then eat in front of them, and let them know they can't have any.

Wow. Way to make your kids have self esteem issues.

• Love 3
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Wow. Way to make your kids have self esteem issues.

My husband has zero self confidence or self esteem.  Brother In Law is the same way.  My husband gained a lot of weight when he left home because suddenly, he could eat what he wanted, and wasted no time in catching up.  My brother in law was chunky, but managed to slim down.  I used to joke that my husband found what his brother lost.

Another kid here with a mom who had a you had to try it policy.  If I didn't like it after that, I didn't have to eat it. 

I always have been a picky eater.  When I was little, her sister would make me a PB&J if I didn't like the dinner.  When mom told her not to do that, she gave mom the ol' I get to spoil my niece bit.  Mom put a quick end to that.

This same sister would complain that it was hard to cook for their meat and potatoes father.  He would say her food was too fancy.  Mom told her she never had that problem, he would eat whatever she gave him even if it was something unfamiliar to him.  She was great cook.  She did keep in mind what he preferred but she would give him foods he would not necessarily pick for himself.  He never complained.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This x1000! Not to mention that kids have a lot more taste buds than adults and their experiences of taste are dramatically different. This is a kind of old article, but fascinating to me. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/jan/29/changing-tastes-food-and-aging. Also, a person's stomach is about the size of their fist. When it's full, it's full.

I think forcing children to eat foods that taste bad to them, or to "clean the plate" when they are full, is a form of torture.

As an adult, woe to the person who might try to make me eat a plate of raw green peppers. Kids don't have that agency. Parents don't have to provide a buffet for every meal, but it wouldn't kill them to make (or let the kid make) a pb&j as an alternative to a dinner the kid literally can't stomach.

I just remembered, when I was a kid, I had a best friend, Ann, who lived down the street. We were young, under ten years of age I'm pretty sure. Ann's father died suddenly. Her mom would make dinner for Ann and her brothers, along with some oatmeal. Whoever didn't want to eat what she made for dinner could have oatmeal. Not in a punitive way, but, here's your alternative. I think that was a pretty good way for Mrs. Madigan to stay sane, considering what she was going through.

Edited by Ashforth
childhood story
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My grandma had a degree in Home economics and Nutrition and she had no idea about salads. She used to say to my mom and aunt "You girls bring the salad, I don't know how to make them." It was not a thing in her day.

Growing up, I ate a lot of what today is considered "fancy" --- a "wedge" salad, which is basically a wedge of iceberg lettuce with some sort of salad dressing on it. My mother's go-to dressing was thousand island, which I detest. (Ketchup is an abomination and must be wiped out in my lifetime.) Iceberg lettuce is NOT FOOD. We did eat a variety of foods --- beef, chicken, fish, pork. I was a teenager before I learned that some people DID NOT skin their chicken before breading and frying it. As a result, there are very few foods that I absolutely will not eat. 

12 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Growing up, I ate a lot of what today is considered "fancy" --- a "wedge" salad, which is basically a wedge of iceberg lettuce with some sort of salad dressing on it. My mother's go-to dressing was thousand island, which I detest. (Ketchup is an abomination and must be wiped out in my lifetime.) Iceberg lettuce is NOT FOOD. We did eat a variety of foods --- beef, chicken, fish, pork. I was a teenager before I learned that some people DID NOT skin their chicken before breading and frying it. As a result, there are very few foods that I absolutely will not eat. 

Except ketchup. But you'e right thousand island dressing is gross. My husband used to like it until he tried a good vinaigrette.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Growing up, I ate a lot of what today is considered "fancy" --- a "wedge" salad, which is basically a wedge of iceberg lettuce with some sort of salad dressing on it.

I couldn't believe when that stupid salad made a comeback - and you'll still see it on some menus today.  An out-of-season tomato from a chain grocery store is packed with flavor compared to a wedge of iceberg lettuce that was just picked that morning.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In some ways I feel my mother was controlling about food, it would have not killed her no not make me eat squash. However we did not have extra food. We were never hungry but if we did not like what was for supper we could not eat something else because that food was planned for another meal. Over all I think with her it was a mixture of I am in charge here and wanting to make sure we had enough to eat.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I couldn't believe when that stupid salad made a comeback - and you'll still see it on some menus today.  An out-of-season tomato from a chain grocery store is packed with flavor compared to a wedge of iceberg lettuce that was just picked that morning.

My husband eats iceberg lettuce. I keep explaining that it is not food. I don't think he cares.... it's just a vehicle for carrying salad dressing, croutons, and grape tomatoes to his mouth. 😉

But don't get me started on the abominations that my MIL used to make. Yuck. No wonder he has no tastebuds. 

• LOL 2
26 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

My husband eats iceberg lettuce. I keep explaining that it is not food. I don't think he cares.... it's just a vehicle for carrying salad dressing, croutons, and grape tomatoes to his mouth. 😉

But don't get me started on the abominations that my MIL used to make. Yuck. No wonder he has no tastebuds. 

Same here. My husband thought he hated vegetables when we first got married. Turns out his mother boiled canned vegetables until they were unrecognizable grey blobs. His first spinach salad was a revelation. Now he practically begs me to make roasted beets, brussel sprouts and salads of every description. He used to only eat raw carrots and corn on the cob, the only things his mother couldn't ruin.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I was a teenager before I learned that some people DID NOT skin their chicken before breading and frying it.

Same.  It was my "job" in the kitchen to skin the chicken after my mother cut it up for frying.  She usually got a whole chicken because it was less expensive, and cut it so that there was a wishbone (for me!).  But to this day, I cannot eat chicken skin.

My mother is of the "taste it and if you don't like it you don't have to eat it" school of thought, but she wouldn't make anything extra -- we had to eat at least some version of whatever she cooked.  So if we had SOS, for example, I ate just the toast, since I don't like the chipped beef gravy part.  We did all take our Flintstones vitamins, but never had anything like Pediasure.

• Love 3

I've always hated onions (some of you long-timers here probably already know that, haha!) and my mom would always lie to me that there were none in whatever food she made! Then, she'd inexplicably follow up with, "But you can't even taste them." Unfortunately, I was too little to articulate that her second retort confirmed that I could taste them precisely because they were there. How do you know what I can taste, Mom?!

Also, she loves to say that I "used to eat onions like apples." OK, first, if that happened at all, it was probably just once, and, second, who the hell lets her kid repeatedly do that?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've always hated onions (some of you long-timers here probably already know that, haha!) and my mom would always lie to me that there were none in whatever food she made! Then, she'd inexplicably follow up with, "But you can't even taste them." Unfortunately, I was too little to articulate that her second retort confirmed that I could taste them precisely because they were there. How do you know what I can taste, Mom?!

Also, she loves to say that I "used to eat onions like apples." OK, first, if that happened at all, it was probably just once, and, second, who the hell lets her kid repeatedly do that?!

I feel you. I hate mayonnaise and i always order my sandwiches plain, no mayo. And it's like they don't believe me. And when I say hey, this has mayo on it they come back with "Oh, I'll just scrape it off."  Um, no. I can still taste it. Please make me a new one.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I feel you. I hate mayonnaise and i always order my sandwiches plain, no mayo. And it's like they don't believe me. And when I say hey, this has mayo on it they come back with "Oh, I'll just scrape it off."  Um, no. I can still taste it. Please make me a new one.

That's me with mustard.  Or bananas; if I order pancakes that come with strawberries and bananas and specify no bananas and you bring me pancakes with those vile smelly things on them, do not just scrape them off when I send them back.  I will know, and I'll be pissed.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I had a friend who, when a decision had to be made that wasn't all that crucial, would play "rock, scissors, paper" with her daughter, so that the kid would feel she might have a chance to have the decision be hers and hers alone.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

When I was small (under age 6) chocolate would make me hurl. Mother and I would go downtown and eat at a lunch spot. I would always have vegetable soup, and beg for chocolate milk. Ma would say "you know it makes you sick!" but I would beg until she gave in....and get the same result. Oddly enough, just plain milk never bothered me --- just chocolate milk. I eventually outgrew whatever the problem was. 

When I was little my parents made me eat something I didn't like because they didn't believe I wasn't just being an assy little kid and I threw up right on the table! I am sure I have told this story before in the Peeve thread but now I cannot remember what the food was--scrambled eggs (with onions?!) maybe?

• LOL 2

I think it's the time of year, but I have been missing my maternal grandmother so much lately. She died 21 years ago, and I still think about her just about every day. She was an excellent cook and had her own catering business. I remember one day I told her that I was really craving one of her Yankee pot roasts and hot homemade yeast rolls. I came home from school the next day and she told me to come over to her house in an hour or so, supper was all prepared for us (I lived next door to my grandparents when I was growing up.) She had made the roast and the rolls while I was at school. We sat together in her dining room, which was only used for company and at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we shared that delicious meal. I make pot roast today and it's good, but it's not quite like hers. She had other grandchildren, but I think I was her favorite.

Great, Now I'm crying.

• Love 12