Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

On 5/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why the channels have to run marathons.  If I don't like a series, I will avoid that station all day long.   Also, there are some series that don't do well in marathon form.  Show a couple of episodes, fine.  Show twelve hours of a series, that is too much.  

THANK YOU!  I don't want to see shows I DO like all day long, with few exceptions, let alone shows I don't like.  There are some channels I don't watch at all anymore (WGN being one - it's all marathons, all the time).

• Love 3

I am not a fan of the Closer.  Like most series that push the envelope, that series pushed the lead character too far to a point where at the end of the series I hated her.

Nor am I. I find Kyra annoying and I can't keep my eyes off her weird mouth. Speaking of Start, I sometimes check in on Crossing Jordan. I like Jill Hennessy a lot. I loved her on L&O Mothership.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The only character I like on Chicago P.D. is Kevin Atwater.   A very much underutilized character.  The rest of the characters on the series have done some pretty horrible things.

I have been DVRing Barney Miller episodes that air on FETV.  I get to watch some old school seventies comedy.  Unfortunately, the video quality isn't the greatest.

I think they have Barney Miller eps on Antenna or Laff.

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Unfortunately, I don't have Antenna anymore, it was replaced with something else. 

I looked at the Laff lineup, and I don't really like any of those comedies all that much.  That '70s Show is overrated.  It is being run on multiple channels, and I just don't think it was ever funny.  I grew up in the seventies, and I don't remember people acting like they do on that show.  At least not to that extreme.

Lifetime is running The King of Queens on Wednesday, Thursdays, and Fridays, in marathon form.  They have shoved so many commercials into the series, which has resulted in some of the funniest scenes being cut from the show.   That said, I don't like seeing any spouse hitting the other.  Doug never puts his hands on Carrie, but Carrie repeatedly gets physical with Doug.   It makes me feel very uncomfortable with audience laughter occurring during some of those scenes.

IFC has Monday, Thursday, and Friday, marathons of That '70s Show, and Two and a Half Men.

I think I'll stick with my cop shows and The Gilmore Girls for when things get too real.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 7:33 AM, icemiser69 said:

In the eighties, women had dresses with shoulder pads in them.  The shoulder pads were so huge, the women could play linebacker for the Chicago Bears. 

I caught most of Night of the Comet on the Comet channel yesterday. I switched to watch Sliders but apparently on Mondays it's Night of the Comet. Anyway,  Catherine Mary Stewart wears a dress at the end of the movie that is 80s! Very wide shoulders, but at least she gets to play house with Robert Beltran (Chakotay!)

Edited by friendperidot
the actress' name is Catherine Mary, not Mary Catherine.
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The old half hour black and white Pre-Festus episodes of Gunsmoke are being aired on MeTV.   I like those episodes so much more than the hour long episodes that are in color.  A lot of those episodes have a dark tone story line wise.   I did catch one episode where Aaron Spelling was a guitar playing character.   The ending of that episode surprised me.

I got a bit of a shock when I watched the episode called May Blossom. Festus' cousin is raped. The rest of the episode is basically him searching for her attacker and when he finds him, sitting under a tree, he simply says "Stand up." Screen goes black just as you hear two shots fired.

• Useful 1
On 5/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, friendperidot said:

I caught most of Night of the Comet on the Comet channel yesterday. I switched to watch Sliders but apparently on Mondays it's Night of the Comet. Anyway, Mary Catherine Stewart wears a dress at the end of the movie that is 80s! Very wide shoulders, but at least she gets to play house with Robert Beltran (Chakotay!)

I don't know that was Chakotay in that movie! my husband is big fan of all things Star Trek so iam familiar with the character because of the face tattoo lol

• Love 2

I'm back. On 04/26, 911 took me to the hospital for emergency gallbladder removal. After 7 days in the hospital (oxygen issues) and 5 days at my brother's recuperating, I'm finally back home. On Monday, the day of my surgery, brother & SIL came & picked up my cats & took 'em to their house, 50 miles away. So Bosco, Stella, and I have been safely returned home to continue my recuperation on my own. I think I'll do much better with my music and without their choice of TV news sources. But I'm gonna miss Carmen's cooking. LOL.  It's good to be back.

• Love 19
16 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Okay, this is getting ridiculous.  A woman on Gunsmoke told Matt Dillon that she had stabbed and killed her husband with a hat pin (that thing was long) because he had threatened to kill her.  There weren't any witnesses to the threat.  Matt Dillon not only didn't arrest her, but he bought her a ticket for the stage to take her to St. Louis.

He also didn't arrest Festus when he killed his cousin's rapist. One man law, indeed.

• Love 1

On one of the early episodes of Columbo, he also let a killer off of the hook.  The woman (killer) was ill and most likely wouldn't live beyond a few months. 

Ah yes, The Forgotten Lady. Guest starring Janet Leigh as a fading film star. She had a brain tumor or something.

• Love 1

Thanks for all the good wishes. Cats have settled in to being back home, but I did have both of 'em on my lap yesterday in the recliner as all three of us took a 90 minute nap. (Stella draped over my waist, Bosco across my thighs.) HAhahaha.

My brother & SIL brought me a 32-pack of Charmin Mega-rolls a week before the gallbladder attack, so I'm good on TP.  😄

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

IFC is airing a marathon of the movie Mommie Dearest today.  The same movie over and over again.  Airing it on Mother's Day. 

When my son was still living here, we used to watch Psycho every Mother's Day. They're having it on BBC America today. Makes me miss him even more.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Sundance's schedule is looking more and more like MeTV's schedule as time goes by.

Sundance is adding Gomer Pyle and Perry Mason to their lineup.   They already air Hogan's Heroes and The Andy Griffith Show.

One thing I do like is that they're running a lot of episodes of Monk.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

And Monk episodes aren't edited for language like they are on Hallmark's Movies and Mysteries channel.

It makes no sense to me.  A character gets murdered on Monk and somehow that is okay, but characters use certain "bad" words that are somehow unacceptable.

They do the same thing on UPTV with The Gilmore Girls. I mean granted there aren't any murders but they censor every damn and hell and ass. It's a sweet show, there is no reason to viewers like babies.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have never understood how Monk could on any level be considered a comedy.   Monk (the character) was a tragic figure that was existing, not living life. 

Disher adds a comedic element to the series, but Monk's fears and phobias I consider a horrible aspect of his life.  All of the years that he had been in therapy seemed to be nothing more than a coping mechanism to make it through to his next session.   It seemed like therapy became a psychological drug for him.

His childhood was pretty horrible.   His dad abandoned him and his mom was a real pill.   It wasn't any great shock that he wasn't very popular.

I haven't read any Monk books.

I was disappointed that the Monk movie (Mr. Monk for Mayor) was never made.

Psych is a television series that I can't watch very often.  The lead character (Shawn Spencer) is incredibly obnoxious.

Monk was indeed a tragic character. Tony Shaloub is such an incredible actor he is able to communicate the character's pathos and pain on an almost visceral level.

• Love 5
(edited)

I still can't get over Captain Stottlemeyer being Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

If you ever get a chance to watch the X-Files episode "Soft Light", watch it. Shalhoub's face at the end of the ep. is indescribable misery. He is a marvelously talented actor.

He also directed a movie (Made-Up) starring him and his wife, Brooke Adams, that (in my mind, at least) is notable for its use of an extremely obscure Warren Zevon song, "I'll Slow You Down."

And I just saw a Monk PSA about hand washing (to "99 Bottles of Beer") in which, at the end, Shalhoub says he's just over COVID and Brooke still is fighting it.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I still can't get over Captain Stottlemeyer being Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

If you ever get a chance to watch the X-Files episode "Soft Light", watch it. Shalhoub's face at the end of the ep. is indescribable misery. He is a marvelously talented actor.

He also directed a movie (Made-Up) starring him and his wife, Brooke Adams, that (in my mind, at least) is notable for its use of an extremely obscure Warren Zevon song, "I'll Slow You Down."

And I just saw a Monk PSA about hand washing (to "99 Bottles of Beer") in which, at the end, Shalhoub says he's just over COVID and Brooke still is fighting it.

I saw that too. He is a national treasure.

• Love 1

Sundance's schedule is looking more and more like MeTV's schedule as time goes by.

Sundance is adding Gomer Pyle and Perry Mason to their lineup.   They already air Hogan's Heroes and The Andy Griffith Show.

Laverne & Shirley is coming back to MeTV. I have the whole series on DVD, but I still watch it whenever it's on TV. One of the funniest shows of the 1970s IMO.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The "Just Crack an Egg" woman can go hug a land mine. She opens up her fridge, sees a container of said product, and conveniently has just one egg to crack into the container. Next thing you know she's doing a Jack and Rose "Titanic" spin with it.

I tried it once but it so salty!!! 😱

On 4/2/2020 at 1:18 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I had an upstairs neighbor I called Thunderfoot.  She never shut up, either, so she was Thunderfoot Flapping Mouth.

I remember when I stayed with a friend at "Chateau De Roach" over the Summer in college,  there was a pair of big cross-dressing black guys above us who played gospel music really loudly at all hours of the day.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:53 PM, icemiser69 said:

I have never understood how Monk could on any level be considered a comedy.   Monk (the character) was a tragic figure that was existing, not living life. 

I used to like that show, until they made his quirk(?) into the gimmick of the week (Monk has to investigate a murder that took place in the city dump!). I'm really hating H&I's "social distancing" promos. 

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am tempted to make a smartass comment, but that little voice in my head is screaming at me, "don't go there."  I don't often listen to that little voice, but I think I will in this situation.

I thought married people sleeping in separate (twin) beds in the same room was just something in old black and white sitcoms.  Evidently that isn't true.  My parents back in the day, knew a married couple that slept in twin beds.   They must have shared the same bad at one point, because they did have one child.

I know of a married couple that have been happily married forever.  They sleep in separate rooms.

My aunt and uncle did that because he not only had a bad case of restless leg and snored like a freight train. Believe me they had tons of sex.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 2:14 AM, icemiser69 said:

I know of a married couple that have been happily married forever.  They sleep in separate rooms.

I read a statistic a while back stating how it's more common than you'd think for couples to sleep separately, and how studies have shown that there isn't really a correlation with happiness in a marriage.  I went looking for the exact statistic and found this article instead.  That has links to the results of a few studies, one of which found (in part) that only 62% of respondents prefer to sleep with a partner, and that 23% of respondents who live with a partner sleep separately as a result of one of their sleep issues.

I know of at least two (apparently happy) couples that don't sleep together, and I know a few more that would probably sleep separately if it were socially acceptable / they had the room to do so.  I've toured a handful of old (like 120+ years) homes of rich people, it would seem that anyone who could afford it slept apart back in the day.  The article I linked touches on why that's less common now.

That said, I'm definitely one of the 62% who'd rather sleep with my partner.  It's an ongoing disagreement with my husband.  His compromise idea is to get a king-sized bed.  "But they're so big, it's like sleeping alone!"  "Exactly!"  I never knew how common king-sized beds were until the house buying and home design shows became popular and people are always insisting on being able to fit one in the master.  I'm convinced that king-sized beds are people's solutions to their inability (either financial or social) to sleep in separate rooms.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4

I've toured a handful (like 120+ years) homes of rich people, it would seem that anyone who could afford it slept apart back in the day.  

Hell, I believe it was Katharine Hepburn said something like if you can't have separate houses at least have separate bathrooms.

• Love 9

One time when we were visiting my stepdaughter she told me she really liked her next door neighbor who was about her age, except that the neighbor felt compelled to tell her everything going on in her life. I asked if she told my stepdaughter about her sex life. She got a horrified look on her face and said - well no! I told her when I was a teenager my mom was friends with a neighbor who gave my mom regular updates on her sex life. Thankfully my mom didn't share the details, she was just amused that someone would do that. I can see it if you are really close, but these women were casual acquaintances. 😉

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

One time when we were visiting my stepdaughter she told me she really liked her next door neighbor who was about her age, except that the neighbor felt compelled to tell her everything going on in her life. I asked if she told my stepdaughter about her sex life. She got a horrified look on her face and said - well no! I told her when I was a teenager my mom was friends with a neighbor who gave my mom regular updates on her sex life. Thankfully my mom didn't share the details, she was just amused that someone would do that. I can see it if you are really close, but these women were casual acquaintances. 😉

Well, obviously she didn't go into any details. She just told me the hormone replacement therapy she was taking gave her really intense orgasms. This was after a few glasses of wine.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

T.J. Hooker weekend on Decades. 

That can't be William Shatner's real hair.  That said, with all of the running around he does, if it isn't his real hair, that has to be Velcroed on.   If it is his real hair, he is one lucky dude.

It's not. He was famous in Hollywood for having the best rug in the business.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

We have a friend who was head of the Alabama School of Fine Arts. I don't remember the reason, but William Shatner visited the school, Our friend said he was an ass. Absolutely warm and charming as long as cameras were rolling. As soon as they were off, he acted like he was just too important to be bothered with these nobodies.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, dleighg said:

a bit tangential but reminds me of "New Yorkers will wear black until they find a darker color." (I'm a New Yorker)

"A black overcoat in August is nature's way of telling you to cut back on the Bauhaus." - Richard Kadrey, from the Sandman Slim books. Read them if ya'll haven't.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"A black overcoat in August is nature's way of telling you to cut back on the Bauhaus." - Richard Kadrey, from the Sandman Slim books. Read them if ya'll haven't.

I can just hear little, budding Bauhaus designer's moms "Less, less! I mean it, less!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There was a catbird eating at my nyjer seed bird feeder.  I know that bird is supposed to sound like a cat, but to me, he sounds like a squeaky swing set.

Normally there are only goldfinches, house finches, and chickadees at that feeder.  On one other occasion there was a cardinal at the feeder.

I always think of owls as cat birds. They are the only birds with their eyes on the front of their faces. We had a crazy English teacher in high school who had representatives from the zoo bring three to our class one day and I got to hold one. They are so beautiful.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There was a catbird eating at my nyjer seed bird feeder.  I know that bird is supposed to sound like a cat, but to me, he sounds like a squeaky swing set.

Normally there are only goldfinches, house finches, and chickadees at that feeder.  On one other occasion there was a cardinal at the feeder.

A few years back, the (now-disappeared) feral cat in the neighborhood had a kitten.  I didn't realize it right away, though, because I thought the kitten mewing was the resident catbird.  Mind you, I am terrible at birding by ear, but they sounded so much alike!

• Useful 3
On 5/28/2020 at 11:49 AM, peacheslatour said:

We had a crazy English teacher in high school who had representatives from the zoo bring three to our class one day and I got to hold one. They are so beautiful.

I would have stayed as far away from that thing as I could. I like watching birds...from a distance. I have a friend who has retired from her volunteer job as a bat rescuer. She would come to our doll club meetings and bring one or two in a cage to trade with another recuser who lived in this city. My friend lives on the other side of the state and they specialized in different kinds of bats. One time, the friend brought the bats in a cage to my house to take to the doll club, she was going out of town and couldn't do it at the right time. I accepted the job of transferring them reluctantly, I had to put the cage in my spare bedroom with the door closed to keep my dogs away. I did an elaborate rearranging of animals, locked the dogs in the bedroom while getting the bats and putting them in the spare bedroom, closing that door and letting the dogs back out. Then had to do it all again when I loaded the car with the dolls and bats. That was as close as I could get. I don't like creepy crawlies. I have learned a lot about bats because of my friend, and I appreciate them. I just don't want to get too close.

• Love 3

Re: Parents who make kids eat stuff they don't want...

I didn't get the "three more bites" bit, but I did get "Just eat the meat..."  Meat was expensive and my mom didn't want to see it go to waste.  On the other hand, she had a set of "economy meals" that were truly abominable, especially Spam & scrambled eggs. Yikes.  I was having a hard time finishing it and I made a deal with her: I'd eat this now if she promised NEVER to make it again. She must have remembered for a while that she made that deal - so long, in fact, the "recipe" was forgotten, so she did, indeed, never make it again. Score one for the kid!

We didn't even know what pizza was until Original Crispy had a truck at a school carnival. My brother fell in love with it, so Mother would buy frozen pizzas just for him while the rest of us ate stuff he couldn't stand.  I think she was happy to have a foodstuff he would eat so she wouldn't have to argue with him over his hated foods. Same with me - I could be relied on to happily eat a can of Franco-American Mac & Cheese when something I deemed disgusting was being served. Dad was no problem - give us fish & he'll eat the leftover meatloaf, thank you. I didn't mind leftover meatloaf, either, until Mother discovered Campbell's Cream of Celery soup and slathered the meat in that crap.

But did you ever notice that if Mom doesn't like a particular food, it never even makes it to the grocery cart, much less the table?

• Love 5

My mom didn’t force me to eat stuff I didn’t like, although she’d occasionally say “You don’t know what you’re missing“(you’re missing me throwing up!).  When I was in high school, she married a man who’d been raised during the Depression, and therefore had the mindset of “You’ll eat what’s put in front of you, even if you have to sit there all night.”

That ended the night he hit me with a belt because he decided I wasn’t eating my dinner fast enough. 

We ate what was put in front of us. We did not have extra food to eat ( we were never without food, never went hungry)  so did not have the choice of eating something different. My mother and step dad worked hard to put food on the table and we were expected to eat it. The good thing about that is when I ate at someone's house I ate what was on my plate. It would have been rude not to. I am also old, 63, and things were different. I honestly couldn't say which way is best but I have heard stories about kids driving their parents crazy with their picky eating habits. I am not talking about toddlers they are learning what food tastes like so they can be challenging to get food into.

21 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My mom didn’t force me to eat stuff I didn’t like, although she’d occasionally say “You don’t know what you’re missing“(you’re missing me throwing up!).  When I was in high school, she married a man who’d been raised during the Depression, and therefore had the mindset of “You’ll eat what’s put in front of you, even if you have to sit there all night.”

That ended the night he hit me with a belt because he decided I wasn’t eating my dinner fast enough. 

Now that is abusive.

Smittykins, I did not mean to quote you in my post not sure what happened.

• Love 1

I'm pretty picky, but I can usually find something to eat.

I don't think I've ever had meatloaf -- my mother doesn't like it, so she never cooked it, and so I've never cooked it, either.  I'm not a huge fan of ground beef, though, so I suspect that even if I tried it, it would not make it into the regular rotation of meals at my house.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

We ate what was put in front of us. We did not have extra food to eat ( we were never without food, never went hungry)  so did not have the choice of eating something different. My mother and step dad worked hard to put food on the table and we were expected to eat it. The good thing about that is when I ate at someone's house I ate what was on my plate. It would have been rude not to. I am also old, 63, and things were different. I honestly couldn't say which way is best but I have heard stories about kids driving their parents crazy with their picky eating habits. I am not talking about toddlers they are learning what food tastes like so they can be challenging to get food into.

Now that is abusive.

Smittykins, I did not mean to quote you in my post not sure what happened.

I do get how sometimes it does seem like kids can be bratty about what they eat especially when it comes to vegetables. It doesn't seem harmful to let them eat a sandwich or something. The older kids get it might be easier to get them to eat vegetables. My parents added cheese or ranch dressing to duck them in. While I do get the eat what's put in front of you to a point. My parents had that thought to. Except some foods made me sick. Eating peas and green beans made me sick to the point of throwing up. My parents' blew it off as being a picking eater and started to get mad when it spread to other foods onions, tomatoes and so many more. They assumed that I was making a big deal out of nothing, doing it to get out of eating it, or I worked myself into a state that to throw up. Instead of not wanting to eat food I knew would make me throw up. No amount of trying to explain how queasy it made my stomach or how long I'd be sick afterwards did any good. They blew it off. I was picky, I was being difficult, if I just ate the food it would be fine. Except it wasn't. And it wasn't until I was an adult that we realized there had to be a problem. I'd been throwing up since my childhood and it only got worse and by the time I was an adult I was throwing up every three to six months. It turned out there was a problem. My stomach had a problem breaking certain foods down. It never once occurred to them that my younger years of throwing up peas and green beans was actually probably the first signs of a problem. Sometimes its not a kid being picky. Sometimes there's a problem.

• Love 5

But did you ever notice that if Mom doesn't like a particular food, it never even makes it to the grocery cart, much less the table?

Well, yeah. Mom has to cook it, she might as well make what she likes.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't get the "three more bites" bit, but I did get "Just eat the meat..." 

I don't know about all kids, but my sister and brother-in-law have to do the "three more bites" thing with my nieces because they'll feign fullness and then want dessert.  Or (and I don't know if they do this at home), they'll say they're done but really they're just distracted by something, and then fifteen minutes after the table is clear they'll say they're hungry.  I don't think kids should have to eat more if they're genuinely full, but I do think they should clean their plates if they like the food on the plate and are not full.

• Love 1