Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Don’t need stuff in your sweatpant pockets? A-hem? My chapstick? My tissue? My phone in case a kid texts or I need to look something up? Who’s gonna walk all the way over to the purse or briefcase for that? What, am I old? I’m not old!

Aw, it's not often I feel young, so thanks for that.  But, nope, don't need that stuff in my pockets.  If I need Chapstick or a tissue I go to the bathroom and get it.  (My mom carries tissues around with her constantly, but she uses them frequently; unless I'm sick, I hardly ever need one again after my post-shower ritual.)  I don't have a Smartphone, and use my flip phone maybe half a dozen times per year, so I definitely don't need to be carrying a phone around with me.  (If I need to look something up, I get on the computer, so now I'm the old fart.)

I'm sure I'd get used to it if I needed to carry things around, but I wouldn't like the feeling of something in my pocket.  Even with the close fit of jeans pockets, I'll only occasionally put something small, light, and flat in them.  

2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Regular pants, I get it, but pajama pants?

If no pajama pants had pockets, I'd find that logical, because why would you need something in your pockets while you're sleeping?  But since they put them in men's pajama pants - presumably because there are plenty of people who wear them as lounge pants before/after bed, not just while sleeping - it's not about that.  It must be done for looks, and I appreciate that because I have quite the collection of cute pajamas and don't need pockets, but even I wouldn't mind if they were there because they're just pajamas.

Edited by Bastet
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Those Aluma Wallets don't hold enough to close properly if you put any amount of folding money in them.

Not a problem for me, lol. Actually, I do sometimes have a few ones a couple of fives and they don't really close that well, I just put the bills in my pocket!

As far as to what jeans or pants, when I worked, I wore slacks, had to have pockets to put my keys in. I worked in a locked building, to use the elevator to enter the building to go to any of the other buildings, had to have a building key, then I had my office door key, and I kept a car key on the same key ring so I didn't have to search for either. I've been retired for 7 years and haven't had a car for 3, so I realize that now no one uses car keys, they have those little doohickeys.

But I am in the old group and I like my baggy jeans, I have some from before my 30 lb weight loss and they are so very comfortable and they were hemmed several years ago, they don't drag on the ground. Manufacturers don't think a woman can be short and fat and need pockets. I am short, not quite as fat and I still need pockets! At pushing 70, I prefer comfort over looks.

• Love 4

I've tried using the Aluma wallet while on my Road Trips. It's so slick, it slipped out of my pocket at a restaurant. Really pissed me off. The only reason I went to Olive Garden was I had a gift card - that was in the wallet - that I couldn't see on the floor. Had to pay with my regular credit card. Fortunately, I was staying 3 nights at that location, so I went back the next night & sure enough, they'd found it. The two $20 bills were gone, but they left me the 3 $2 bills. (I like to tip with $2 bills - tour guides, hotel maids, etc.) but that meant I had to eat yet another Olive Garden meal to use the gift card. The only thing I really like at OG is the peach sangria. LOL.

I have now put duct tape on the outside of the Aluma wallet so it's got too much friction to slide out of my pocket.

My pockets usually contain flip phone, pedometer, keys, and sometimes a note of something I need to remember. When I'm home, of course, the keys are on the end table by the door, but the phone & pedometer are ALWAYS in my pockets. Heck, I'd like pockets in my nightgowns!

• Love 1

I don’t have keys anymore. My car has a fob, my house has a combo lock. When they moved me to my own office at work, they gave me a key to it and I was all, “Where am I supposed to put this? I don’t have a key ring.” I ended up attaching the key to my work ID.

More on the bra discussion.  I came of age in the "burn your bra" era.  I remember putting tape over my nipples so my mother would not completely freak out.  It was the pink tape that was made for hair; you could make "pincurls" against your cheek and then sleep on them.  The hair was teased high the next morning and the little "spit curls" would rest against your cheek.  The tape would peel right off, no pain.  I am old...you are old...we is all old.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

While we're on the subject of comfort at home, let me put a word in for house-coats.  Or maybe they're called house-dresses. 

I was in a nursing home for a month after a fall, in 2018.  I didn't know that I could bring clothes from home.  For the first couple days, I was in the hospital gown that I came in.  I thought I was supposed to stay in the gown.

Then one of the nurses brought me a couple of dresses that someone had left behind.  (My gosh, the woman had probably died -- it just now hit me.)  One was purple plaid and the other was a red/white/blue check.  The nurse made sure my slipper socks matched whichever dress I was wearing -- she was stylin' like that.

Anyway, these dresses snapped down the front and they had huge pockets.  I could carry my phone, my tissues, and my chapstick.  If I had to pee in a hurry, just lift and sit -- no messing around with jeans, buttons, zippers. 

If only someone would make these in a less chintzy design, muted colors, a fabric that drapes -- I'd wear them now. 

But it's slip-on shorts and a tee shirt (no bra) at home.  For work, J.C. Penney has flat-front pants with big pockets -- the fabric is velvety, with a teeny bit of stretch.  Awhile back they were on sale for less than $10.  I bought some for me and for my daughter. 

• Love 7

AuntiePam, I do know about robes, I used to have a great velour one that zipped up the front, came to my ankles and had great pockets. I wore it in the winter and pulled on a pair of long johns or sweat pants to complete the ensemble, lol.

My dog shredded my robe and I've been considering another one or two, I don't want them too thick and bulky, but just heavy enough to be warm.

• Love 5

yes, but I don't really want my family buying clothing. My sister has already given my birthday present to me. I let her use my Prime account, she pays for things but uses it for free shipping, she went through my list and did get me the cutest salt and pepper shakers set. I've had them on my list for a couple of years. She's on disability, I was just surprised that she thought to go through my list. I listen and pay attention to her comments throughout the year, for Christmas I'm going to give her a digital clock with day and date that she can see from several feet away. My rule of thumb for gifts for her are, in my budget, something she cannot pawn, something she can use and won't buy for herself. For her birthday, I gave her bed pillows. I'm thinking of flatware, place settings for 4 for her next birthday. Her constant whine of "I guess I can't have nice things..." is getting on my nerves. She can't have nice things because she won't take care of them, therefore, I won't spend much money.

Editing to add, I usually buy myself something nice that I really want. But I think this year it's going to have to be a pair of shoes to replace the ones Quark got a couple of weeks ago, I'm still wearing them and unless I point out what he did, most people won't notice. And a new winter coat. I haven't seen my winter coats (about 6 of them, since I moved in with my sister, they're either in the garage or the attic and I won't go in either place and the cats or mice have probably destroyed them by now. This is Oklahoma, don't need a heavy coat very often. But I used to live further north.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

true, I wear lots of sweaters and I don't go out. I did buy a coat earlier this year, but it's entirely too big for me, I'm going to give it to my niece. I only had 3 to choose from at Burlington, that's why I'm going to look in August or September.

My SIL once bought herself, my mom and me the same velour robe, but in different colors. Carmen's was red, Mom's was purple and mine was dark blue. She got 'em at JCPenney's - velour, zipped up most of the front (you still had to pull it on over your head or step into it) and nice, VERY nice pockets. Loved that thing. The elbows wore out first. It eventually died.

Of course, JCP doesn't carry that style any more. Now, for the winter, I have a stupid, long, fleecy hoodie that zips, but the zipper separates so you slip it on like a regular jacket. I hate it. For warmer temps, I have the old-woman standby of a "duster" - you can still get them! - snap front, easy care fabric, pockets.

• Love 2

But it's slip-on shorts and a tee shirt (no bra) at home.  For work, J.C. Penney has flat-front pants with big pockets -- the fabric is velvety, with a teeny bit of stretch.  Awhile back they were on sale for less than $10.  I bought some for me and for my daughter. 

I like to wear T-shirts and slip-on shorts at home too or leggings if it's not too terribly hot. For work I like the Old Navy pixie pants (I'm short) because they fit me so well and they have a bit of stretch in them.

moving subject matter of tv and movie likes and dislikes and defending ones likes or dislikes from attackers. My great nephew, (20) loves How I Met Your Mother. I (pushing 70) think it's one of the most stupid of the stupid shows ever. And to be one of the most stupid of the stupid may be an honor for it. There are a lot of incredibly stupid comedy shows on tv. I never cared for Seinfeld or Friends. Seinfeld, I got some flack for, I'm of the too old generation to give a damn about Friends, so that was never an area of discussion. I choose to not argue about those.

But, as an adult collector of fashion dolls (pushing 70, remember), I've had friends tell me it's time to grow up and get into real life, leave children's playthings for children. Editing to add, I've done real life, it's overrated. Then they learn a little about the costs of some of the dolls, then they see them in person and see the rooms I've decorated for and put my dolls in, and see what some other adult collectors do. It shuts most of them up because it's very involved, can be pretty expensive. I usually give them an argument that I am entirely more grown up than idiots who go, in sub freezing weather, to football games, strip off their shirts, have their bodies painted in team colors. I am not endangering my health, I don't involve others and I don't spend my money on drugs like too many people in my family do. And mostly, I don't give a damn what others think I should do with my money and my time.

Edited by friendperidot
minor spelling/grammar corrections
  • Love 11

Right on friendperidot! You do you, baby. I too am not a fan of sports ball. I have never watched "reality" tv shows. I also think  HIMYM is utterly stupid. But I love The Lord of the Rings almost to the point of religion. I collect one type of doll but once I managed to get all the ones I had as a kid I ceased. Everyone is different. And that's what makes life interesting.

• Love 6

Thank you peacheslatour! I love the Lord of the Rings books, started reading them back in the 70s, have read them 3 or so times, all of them, but I could not get into the movies. 

And what doll do you have from your childhood? I collect some older (60s,70s,80s) Barbies, a few Tammys but most of my collection is modern 16" fashion dolls, one of my favorites is my picture here.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, friendperidot said:

moving subject matter of tv and movie likes and dislikes and defending ones likes or dislikes from attackers. My great nephew, (20) loves How I Met Your Mother. I (pushing 70) think it's one of the most stupid of the stupid shows ever. And to be one of the most stupid of the stupid may be an honor for it. There are a lot of incredibly stupid comedy shows on tv. I never cared for Seinfeld or Friends. Seinfeld, I got some flack for, I'm of the too old generation to give a damn about Friends, so that was never an area of discussion. I choose to not argue about those.

But, as an adult collector of fashion dolls (pushing 70, remember), I've had friends tell me it's time to grow up and get into real life, leave children's playthings for children. Editing to add, I've done real life, it's overrated. Then they learn a little about the costs of some of the dolls, then they see them in person and see the rooms I've decorated for and put my dolls in, and see what some other adult collectors do. It shuts most of them up because it's very involved, can be pretty expensive. I usually give them an argument that I am entirely more grown up than idiots who go, in sub freezing weather, to football games, strip off their shirts, have their bodies painted in team colors. I am not endangering my health, I don't involve others and I don't spend my money on drugs like too many people in my family do. And mostly, I don't give a damn what others think I should do with my money and my time.

I didn't like Friends even a tiny bit, but I loved Seinfeld.  However, I am a big fan of well-done snark, and Seinfeld elevated that to artform.

Fantasy genre stuff just escapes me.  Same with westerns.  I think some of that may have to do with my parents liking both, and being somewhat forced to sit through them when I was younger (if I never see The Pincess Bride again, it will be too soon - if it was on HBO, my parents were watching it...over and over....).  But I know plenty who love it, so it's all good.  Enjoy it by all means.

I collect items relating to The Monkees.  I have a display cabinet full of it in my living room ,and more stuff I can't fit in there.  I have some high-value items that I lucked in to along the way (at good prices - even better).  People don't "get" that either, and that's OK, but many have criticized me for liking that group, let alone collecting their stuff.  People see a "crappy" group from the 60's, but I remember the look on my mom's face when they had their first comeback.  I was a teen, and got in to the show.  My mom had been a big fan and this became a fun activity we could do together.  We went to concerts, and conventions, and just had a blast.  Yet another reason I don't judge because people may have a special connection with something.

• Love 5

I am a borderline hoarder, something I seriously needed to address when I moved from my childhood home three years ago. I parted with many, many notebooks, magazines, books, VHS tapes, DVDs, etc. but it was so hard! But it taught me that if I didn't have a use for something, then I shouldn't buy it. I don't know what it is, but I love buying decorative pillows. I watched a lot of "I Dream of Jeannie" growing up and I loved the decor of her bottle so I think subconsciously I'm trying to recreate that look in my own home. My girlfriend cringes when we go to Target because she knows I'm going to come home with a new pillow or two. There are worse things I could spend my money on.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I am a borderline hoarder, something I seriously needed to address when I moved from my childhood home three years ago. I parted with many, many notebooks, magazines, books, VHS tapes, DVDs, etc. but it was so hard! But it taught me that if I didn't have a use for something, then I shouldn't buy it. I don't know what it is, but I love buying decorative pillows. I watched a lot of "I Dream of Jeannie" growing up and I loved the decor of her bottle so I think subconsciously I'm trying to recreate that look in my own home. My girlfriend cringes when we go to Target because she knows I'm going to come home with a new pillow or two. There are worse things I could spend my money on.

I get that.  For years, I had an "All the stuff!" mentality.  Had number of collections going at once.  When I saw that everthing I spent good money on was stacked up in boxes and storage totes, undisplayed (because I had no room), gathering dust, I had to tap out.  My husband was in the same boat.  We each agreed to stick to one or two things, and everything else had to go, and we ceased collecting it.

Something else that helps is a trick we learned on Clean House (the Niecy Nash show that was on eons ago): if something new comes in, something old goes out (preferrably more than one old thing, but at least one).  It's served us well.

When we were forced to move, we moved to a place that was twice the size of our old one.  But it doesn't have a basement.  That was another prompt to get rid of stuff.  We doubled our house size but got rid of at least half of our stuff.  We made daily runs to donation boxes, and sold things that had value.  Once a year, we go to the shed in the yard, and pare down the storage totes we have.  Every year, we have a little less.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Thank you peacheslatour! I love the Lord of the Rings books, started reading them back in the 70s, have read them 3 or so times, all of them, but I could not get into the movies. 

And what doll do you have from your childhood? I collect some older (60s,70s,80s) Barbies, a few Tammys but most of my collection is modern 16" fashion dolls, one of my favorites is my picture here.

I collect Liddle Kiddles and Petite Princess furniture because they are roughly the same scale so I have a couple glass and wood cases made up like little mansions.

I am a borderline hoarder, something I seriously needed to address when I moved from my childhood home three years ago.

OMG, don't get me started on hoarding. My DH started with baseball stuff, moved on to cameras and then model trains. He has nearly 200 complete model railroads. Our spare bedroom has floor to ceiling shelves filled with train sets. He has I don't know how many Rubber Maid containers filled with train sets. They fill his mom's basement, our shed and our attic.  He is the manager of one of the largest model train business' in the country. It never ends. When he dies, if I'm still around, I'm donating all of it to orphanages or day cares.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I collect items relating to The Monkees.  I have a display cabinet full of it in my living room ,and more stuff I can't fit in there.  I have some high-value items that I lucked in to along the way (at good prices - even better).  People don't "get" that either, and that's OK, but many have criticized me for liking that group, let alone collecting their stuff.  People see a "crappy" group from the 60's, but I remember the look on my mom's face when they had their first comeback.  I was a teen, and got in to the show.  My mom had been a big fan and this became a fun activity we could do together.  We went to concerts, and conventions, and just had a blast.  Yet another reason I don't judge because people may have a special connection with something.

You need to meet my mom post-haste :D. She's a die-hard Monkees fan as well-loved them since they first came on the scene back in the day. She'd get a kick out of your collection. 

• Love 3

I have collections that have grown out my doll collecting, especially salt cellars, I started buying one or two odd ones as serving bowls for my dolls, there are just so many pretty ones out there. I no longer allow myself to buy cut glass or crystal ones, and never full sets, just a one by itself sitting on a shelf, porcelain ones are more difficult to find and sterling silver is beyond my pocketbook. But then that started me on butter pat plates, great serving trays, I even like the heavy ones that were used in diners and restaurants, but they don't work well in my doll house. And I've got a small group of miniature paintings, and other miniature art, but those I'm rather discriminating about, they have to be cheap, have some meaning to me (I have a couple that really do have special meanings for me) and they will go on a wall in a doll room. 

If I had space, I'd collect beaded evening bags and ashtrays from the 50s and 60s, but since I have no space and little money and mobility, those are safe from me.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I have collections that have grown out my doll collecting, especially salt cellars, I started buying one or two odd ones as serving bowls for my dolls, there are just so many pretty ones out there. I no longer allow myself to buy cut glass or crystal ones, and never full sets, just a one by itself sitting on a shelf, porcelain ones are more difficult to find and sterling silver is beyond my pocketbook. But then that started me on butter pat plates, great serving trays, I even like the heavy ones that were used in diners and restaurants, but they don't work well in my doll house. And I've got a small group of miniature paintings, and other miniature art, but those I'm rather discriminating about, they have to be cheap, have some meaning to me (I have a couple that really do have special meanings for me) and they will go on a wall in a doll room. 

If I had space, I'd collect beaded evening bags and ashtrays from the 50s and 60s, but since I have no space and little money and mobility, those are safe from me.

I have miniature "oil" paintings in my doll house too. One came with this very ornate fireplace that is not Petite Princess but fits nicely with the rest. It depicts a very grand lady in white. When I opened it (Xmas present from hubby) my son goes "Oh, Aunt Agatha, she was a real bitch but at least she left us this house."

Tell me, friendperidot, I know you never liked Friends but did you ever see the one with Monica's doll house?

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

You need to meet my mom post-haste :D. She's a die-hard Monkees fan as well-loved them since they first came on the scene back in the day. She'd get a kick out of your collection.

BTW, the FETV channel currently runs four episodes of their show on Saturday mornings.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LoneHaranguer said:

BTW, the FETV channel currently runs four episodes of their show on Saturday mornings.

Neat! We don't have that channel here, but luckily MeTV also shows that series on Sunday afternoons, so we get to see it there :). That show's seemed to bounce around quite a few channels over the years. 

(And my mom has the series on DVD, so there's that, too :p.)

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That show's seemed to bounce around quite a few channels over the years. 

Channels running old shows change their lineup to keep things fresh. Something with a lot of seasons, like The Andy Griffith Show, will stay put better than The Monkees, which only has two.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Tell me, friendperidot, I know you never liked Friends but did you ever see the one with Monica's doll house?

I didn't know Monica had a doll house! And I guess this discussion is what put the name Monica in my head. I've decided to write a book, the story came to me last week in a dream, or at least the main plot for the story did. It's dystopian, comes out some of my deep anger at many things happening in the world, my senses of helplessness and hopelessness. I've got less than 10,000 words, lots of notes of world building, history and character building. I've got too much talk and not enough conversation, but I want to get the story down, then I'll go back and up the action. Today, I was trying to work in a couple of incidents from my real world and a some characteristics of someone close to me that annoy the s**t out of me. I came up with a new character and promptly named her Monica. Thanks for the subliminal messages, everyone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 8/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Unfortunately, they're fairly heavily edited (for time, not content).  I have both DVD's ,and VHS (I got the limited edition set when Rhino released it back in 1997, I think), so I can watch it there if I need to.

But it's nice that someone is airing it, so those without DVD's, etc, can still watch.  😀

• Love 2

I've noticed CoziTV has been editing "Murder She Wrote" for time. It used to begin with the title sequence announcing who the guest stars are, one by one. Now they're all crammed, in tiny print, several to a page, at the end. So instead of saying, "Oh, look who's in this one..." and watching out for a formerly fave actor gone to seed, I have to wait to the end, thinking, "Who IS that guy?"

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've noticed CoziTV has been editing "Murder She Wrote" for time. It used to begin with the title sequence announcing who the guest stars are, one by one. Now they're all crammed, in tiny print, several to a page, at the end. So instead of saying, "Oh, look who's in this one..." and watching out for a formerly fave actor gone to seed, I have to wait to the end, thinking, "Who IS that guy?"

I recently got a new cable box (a Spectrum nightmare) and realized a few days ago that I now have access to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. Their original mystery series are definitely modeled after "Murder, She Wrote." Then last night an actual episode of MSW came on! It indeed had the roster of guest stars at the beginning (Elizabeth Ashley!). What a nice trip down memory lane. This was an episode set in New Orleans, after they had to get Jessica out of Cabot Cove before the entire population was murdered.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

This was an episode set in New Orleans, after they had to get Jessica out of Cabot Cove before the entire population was murdered.

You have to wonder how Cabot Cove has any population left, what with prolific serial killer Jessica Fletcher living among them.

• LOL 7
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You have to wonder how Cabot Cove has any population left, what with prolific serial killer Jessica Fletcher living among them.

And she always managed to pin it on someone else! 😵

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
On 8/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

I collect Liddle Kiddles and Petite Princess furniture because they are roughly the same scale so I have a couple glass and wood cases made up like little mansions.

OMG, don't get me started on hoarding. My DH started with baseball stuff, moved on to cameras and then model trains. He has nearly 200 complete model railroads. Our spare bedroom has floor to ceiling shelves filled with train sets. He has I don't know how many Rubber Maid containers filled with train sets. They fill his mom's basement, our shed and our attic.  He is the manager of one of the largest model train business' in the country. It never ends. When he dies, if I'm still around, I'm donating all of it to orphanages or day cares.

Wow. Depending on how old they are, they're worth a lot of money. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Wow. Depending on how old they are, they're worth a lot of money. 

No, they're really not. Most of the people who are into model railroading are really, really old and they are dying off at a good pace. Younger people could give a shit about them. I have been collecting and around collectors for most of my adult life and the majority of collectors want the things they had when they were kids. The last generation of kids who were into model trains were born in the forties and fifties.  Younger people want electronic games and computer games. I will donate them.

What say ye friendperidot?

• Love 3

My brother, just turned 75, had a hard time trying to get rid of HIS trains; he finally found a family with kids and a dad that love trains, so he gave 'em away. My SIL was really perturbed having to move those trains FOUR times before Joe finally got rid of them (and they finally found a house/neighborhood they like.) She was pissed because she got rid of almost all the mementos she was keeping, yet Joe still had his goddamn trains.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My brother, just turned 75, had a hard time trying to get rid of HIS trains; he finally found a family with kids and a dad that love trains, so he gave 'em away. My SIL was really perturbed having to move those trains FOUR times before Joe finally got rid of them (and they finally found a house/neighborhood they like.) She was pissed because she got rid of almost all the mementos she was keeping, yet Joe still had his goddamn trains.

I sympathize. I hate the fucking things. As I said they are stuffed to the rafters in our attic, my hubby's mother's basement and now they are starting to creep into our living spaces. I begged him to build an outbuilding for them so he built a nice little 12' x 12' shed in the back yard and now it is so stuffed we can't put one more thing in there. And still they come. If I can't find someone to take them then they're going to the dump. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What say ye friendperidot?

completely agree. Iffen I won the big jackpot in the lottery, (must buy a ticket someday) but I would donate my entire collection along with enough millions to the KC Dollhouse and Toy Museum to build a new wing for modern fashion dolls. But barring that, I've told my nieces they can each pick a doll, but I want the rest sold and the money donated to an animal rescue group. But the way my sister's cats and my great-nephew are ruining my things though his smoking and carelessness and the cats peeing and pooping in boxes, there won't be anything worth donating. I do hope before I die, I can move into my own place again and set my beautiful things up so I can enjoy them.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

The worst, though, are the ones that are just cars driving really fast because hello... speed limits are a thing people. I don't care how fast my car is capable of going because I really don't want to get arrested for going that fast.  

I was doing 110 today! However, I was in Canada and that's kmh; turned out be around 68 mph.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was doing 110 today! However, I was in Canada and that's kmh; turned out be around 68 mph.

Ooh, it sounds way more exciting in kmh. lol 

I can get up to about 80 on the highway in perfect conditions (no one else is nearby, especially the police lol) but that is really pushing it for this area, which is usually too congested to go even that fast. 

I do have "drive a race car" on my bucket list though, one of those places where they let you go a few laps. I think that would be a blast. I like to go fast. 

One of my former coworkers bought a Canadian-export model car for her teenage daughter (all metric).  The family joke was that you could do 100 and still be OK.

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I pay attention to the car commercials because I love cars, have since I was a kid. At one point, I had a bright red Porsche 944 that I drove until I got tired of sitting on the floor to drive. In 2004, I bought  new Acura TL that I loved and drove until last month.. There was nothing wrong with it, just didn't have all the new safety features and bells and whistles cars have today. After riding in a friend's 2018 Honda Accord, I told my husband I wanted a new Accord. Last month he said I made an appointment at the Honda dealership, and I came home with a top of the line 2019 Honda Accord. Backup camera, side mirrors show blind spots, tells you if you're drifting out of your lane, has collision avoidance, navigation system. It's the nicest car I've ever had and I love it.

• Love 7

We've been needing a second car for a long time. My girlfriend and I live in the country and when she goes away to visit her family, I'm kind of stuck. At the beginning of the year, she bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla that's just as basic as a car can get -- radio, tape deck, power steering and heating/air conditioning. It had about 150,000 miles on it. I thought she was making a mistake buying it, but that car is wonderful! Seriously, it was just going to be our "going to the dump/recycling center" car, but I drive it to work every day. It's really good on gas, too. I just fill it up every two weeks. Maybe in 18 years, I'll buy a 2019 model. 😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 8/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, friendperidot said:

AuntiePam, I do know about robes, I used to have a great velour one that zipped up the front, came to my ankles and had great pockets. I wore it in the winter and pulled on a pair of long johns or sweat pants to complete the ensemble, lol.

My dog shredded my robe and I've been considering another one or two, I don't want them too thick and bulky, but just heavy enough to be warm.

You're close to me in age. Back in the mid-70s I had this wonderful velour robe with a monks hood. The robe slipped on over my head, and was floor length. Do you remember those? 

That was the last robe I had. If they ever bring that style back, I might just get one. 

• Love 2

Talking about dishwashers. Dishwashers do not waste water. The average dishwasher uses 4 gallons of water to complete a cycle. The average kitchen faucet puts out 2 gallons of water per minute. There are 2 of us. It takes 3 days to fill up our dishwasher. It is a top of the line Bosch, no rinsing needed. I'm using 4 gallons of water every 3 days to do the dishes. If I did them by hand, I'd be washing dishes at least once a day, probably using more than 4 gallons of water. Our dishwasher saves me time and water.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Talking about dishwashers. Dishwashers do not waste water. The average dishwasher uses 4 gallons of water to complete a cycle. The average kitchen faucet puts out 2 gallons of water per minute. There are 2 of us. It takes 3 days to fill up our dishwasher. It is a top of the line Bosch, no rinsing needed. I'm using 4 gallons of water every 3 days to do the dishes. If I did them by hand, I'd be washing dishes at least once a day, probably using more than 4 gallons of water. Our dishwasher saves me time and water.

I don't know what this is in response to, so I could be off, but often when people are talking about dishwashers wasting water, they're talking about running them before the machine is full (because they're a single person and don't have enough plates, etc. to fill it up before running out of clean ones).  In which case, I'd say that dishwashers don't waste water, just that it would be a waste for that person to use a dishwasher.

It's not something I've ever related to.  Even when I lived alone, I had at least 8 of all my dishes, so between those and pots and pans, I never ran out of clean dishes before the dishwasher was full.  The dishes were all hand-me-downs, so it's not like I selected that number, but even if I had purchased my own, I'd still have had enough extra so that I could have guests.  And also, let's be honest, so that I wouldn't have to do the dishes every day.

• Love 7

Well, first you have to take care when ordering a cocktail that goes by a name (e.g. martini) versus by its ingredients (e.g. gin and tonic), because it may not be known, or may mean something else, where you are. 

(I know this is from a few pages back, it's regarding drinks and ice US vs Europe)

My husband's cousin from Northern Ireland visited us recently...we were at a bar and she ordered a lemonade, expecting a 7up-type drink. She got a Country Time chemical lemonade. So yeah, things are different! 

I remember a hot July coming back from the UK via Gatwick airport, and they don't really do AC like 'Mericans do. I put my pound into a machine that advertised "Ice Cold Water". Apparently ice forms at a higher temperature there.

• LOL 3

I don't relate to the "It's just me, so I don't need a dishwasher" crowd.  I cook two meals a day, and while I certainly employ shortcuts, I mostly cook from scratch; I generate far more in dirty dishes than a pan, plate, and fork in a day.  I have dishes, flatware, and glasses for eight, so I'd never have to run a non-full dishwasher because I was out of plates or something.  There would be nothing inefficient about my single self using a dishwasher, and in fact it's an inefficient pain in my ass to do dishes by hand (my house was built in 1938, and I'm not yet ready to remodel the kitchen, so no dishwasher yet).  I absolutely hate washing dishes, and complain to my cat about it every single night.  I just want to go to bed, and I've got the damn dishes to do.  I get up in the morning, and the first thing I have to do is put the damn dishes away (because I hate drying dishes even more than washing them, so I leave them to air dry overnight).  First world problem, indeed, but I will do the dance of joy the first time I can just scrape my dirty dishes, toss 'em in the dishwasher, push a button, and walk away.  (A convenience I took for granted when I had it.)

• Love 7

I wish I had a dishwasher.  It's just two of us, but I get tired of washing dishes.  He made me a deal when we bought our place that if I cooked, he'd do dishes.  That lasted maybe a year.  Now I'm stuck doing them as well as cooking.  We've never had a place with a dishwasher.  Growing up, we had a portable on wheels that we used occasionally, and he never had one growing up.

We looked at a countertop model when we first moved in ,but we weren't sure where we'd store it, and we'd need to put an adapter on our faucet to use it, so we just passed.  I wouldn't be able to fit bigger pots and pans in it, but I could do silverware, regular plates and bowls, and some other stuff, and that would have been just fine by me.

• Love 1
Just now, funky-rat said:

He made me a deal when we bought our place that if I cooked, he'd do dishes.  That lasted maybe a year.  Now I'm stuck doing them as well as cooking.

Time for you to go on strike!

• Love 6