Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls News (and Media): Better Late Than.... Pregnant!

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, mmecorday said:

You'd be surprised, Ria. I know people who actually look forward to this time of year so they can sit and watch that crap hours on end.

My sister, for one  - soon the DVR will be filled with holiday schlock. (Apologies to those who enjoy them, lol!)

Okay GG lovers, fasten your seatbelts and pack your lucky string bikinis! Our local TV station announced the Golden Girls Cruise departing from Miami with stops in Key West and Cozumel on February 24, 2020. 

They’re promising GG Trivia Games, Dance Parties, Costume Contests, etc. Sounds like more fun than a roomful of singing Elvises! 

Who wants to go? I’d copy and paste the link but my phone isn’t cooperating. Google www.wfla.com and add Golden Girls Cruise for the info.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, link417 said:

They’re going to have karaoke at the Rusty Anchor! And, apparently, they dress for dinner. 😉

I hope someone does the routine Blanche did when she tried to show up Dorothy.

Or "Dot Dot What a Girl I Got" or the Miami song on seafood night. What about Sophia's medicare song?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I hope someone does the routine Blanche did when she tried to show up Dorothy.

Or "Dot Dot What a Girl I Got" or the Miami song on seafood night. What about Sophia's medicare song?

🎵”Thanks for the Medicayh ... “🎶

And everyone can start “BOOM”-ing to “Mr. Sandman”!

So many great musical moments on that show.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2019 at 11:26 PM, CousinOliver said:

No one has dibs on “Hard Hearted Hannah?”  I call it!  

In that case, I’ll take “What’ll I Do.”

Or how about a duet! Do you know “Cry Me a River”? 😉

• Love 1

The Golden Girls got a shoutout from the folks at Villalobos Rescue Center; the latest episode of Pit Bulls & Parolees included footage of VRC folks setting up a room in their warehouse as a lounge in which their senior dogs can have one-on-one time hanging out with a staffer in a home-like environment.  In planning to include a TV, one of them said "to show Murder, She Wrote and The Golden Girls."

Needless to say, I would totally hang out in that room.

• Love 2
(edited)

The girls are still golden. According to Hulu people in lockdown have been watching hours of The Golden Girls. 11 million hours alone in April putting the show in its top ten. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Ria said:

The girls are still golden. According to Hulu people in lockdown have been watching hours of The Golden Girls. 11 million hours alone in April putting the show in its top ten. 

Yeah baby! 

As I'm working remotely, I know I've had my DVD player on repeat these last few weeks whenever work gets stressful. The Girls get me through the day and the jokes never get old. 

• Love 5
On 4/30/2020 at 8:21 PM, Ria said:

It’s truly amazing how evergreen this show is, especially considering the dated clothing and references! Just great television.

• Love 9

Betty White is going to star in a Lifetime Christmas movie!

”According to a news release, White will star as a woman who "helps whip would-be Santas into shape, spreading the true meaning of Christmas and leading everyone to wonder: is she secretly Mrs. Claus?"

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ria said:

Betty White is going to star in a Lifetime Christmas movie!

”According to a news release, White will star as a woman who "helps whip would-be Santas into shape, spreading the true meaning of Christmas and leading everyone to wonder: is she secretly Mrs. Claus?"

I'm thrilled to hear this, but also very surprised. After Betty's appearance at the 2018 Emmys, I figured she was probably done acting. She appeared to be struggling so much with walking and speaking.

My guess is that this was specifically tailored to her needs to allow her to move as little as possible.

• Useful 2

Fred Willard passed away at the age of 86. We remember him as Blanche’s New Year’s Eve priest date.  He was going to bring out the artist in her, but alas the date was cut short before she could use all the goodies in her toy box. RIP. 

I watched the PBS Betty White documentary from a couple of years ago (Betty White: First Lady of Television) on Netflix last night.  It's only an hour long and it's complete hagiography, but it's charming.  It's not a biography, it's a retrospective on her career (with a [very] little about her childhood, and a bit more about her relationship with Allen Ludden and her animal advocacy) -- it's really nice to see the early stuff.  And to be reminded what a pioneer she was - producing her own show (on which she hired a female director), refusing demands from southern stations to ditch the black guy in order for her show to air in those markets, etc.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

I hope Betty White buys it and turns it into a museum - I'd be heartbroken if a non-GG fan bought it for the prestige.

Update: Ulp, I spoke too soon 😥https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-golden-girls-house-is-for-sale-for-dollar3m-and-its-already-caught-a-celeb-buyers-eye/ar-BB16PRQ0

Edited by Eri
  • Love 2

The real house is 2,900 square feet.  I don't think the GG house would have been that big, even with 4 bedrooms.  At least the sets didn't look that big on my TV screen.  🙂  That said, if the Property Brothers do redo it, they have plenty of space to make all the rooms.  Of course, they'll never get that wonky layout - with the kitchen opening to both the back yard and the garage, and the garage looking like it should be in the same place the bedrooms were, and so on. 

• Love 2
On 8/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Cracked put out this funny article:

Who Is The Actual Worst Person On 'The Golden Girls?'

I find it odd that the author thinks that Rose decided to move out after Sophia pretended to be channeling Charlie.

A lot of the girls' worst behavior isn't mentioned there - like Blanche using Rose's car to intentionally cause accidents, or Sophia's treatment of "Big Sally," or Dorothy and Blanche taking Holly's side over Rose's. But I guess it would be impossible to fit all of their misdeeds into one article!

• Love 3