Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I don't think its Anaheim fans but more of the US and Japanese media. There is already so much talk about him and he hasn't even played a game here yet. If he was a Dodger he would me more on the radar around here. 

43 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Anybody commenting on the fact that Yankees star Derek Jeter just traded Stanton to the Yankees?  Any Marlins fans think there may be some conflict there?

Apparently twitter is awash in statements like that. Even Dan LeBatard tweeted it. I will admit that at some point in the Jeter administration I thought he was trying to screw the NYY with snatching up Gary Denbo but I know that it's just business. Denbo was available so DJ would be an idiot not to hire him. In fairness, the Marlins needed to get rid of Stanton. The money was insane. I still feel bad for Starlin.  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-twitter-thinks-something-fishy-is-going-on-with-jeter-trading-stanton-to-yankees/

Bill Madden makes some interesting points here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/derek-jeter-blunder-helps-yankees-return-beasts-east-article-1.3688203

Edited by prican58

I don't see how there could have been shenanigans, given the control Stanton had. They tried deals with two other teams and it fell through bc Stanton vetoed it. It doesn't seem like the Dodgers were ever that interested, or at least that is what some of the LA articles have said, and even just in watching the process unfold they never seemed like a serious contender. So who is left- teams with a chance to contend and deep pockets. 

I wish Stanton had gone somewhere else, but I'm neutral on the Yankees, and I will enjoy them (hopefully) pummeling Boston next year. 

26 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

The Modern Era Baseball Committee have voted in Jack Morris and Alan Trammell into the Hall of Fame

That used to be the Veterans Committee, right? Morris was a premiere pitcher, with two World Series rings and one clutch performance in Game 7 of the '91 WS. Does the "regular" voting committee announce their choices next month?

MLB.com is claiming that Stanton will be introduced as a Yankee today at 2 PM, but I see nothing either on YES or at their website.  They still show Centerstage on their schedule.

*sets DVR just in case*

Edited by smittykins

Aaron Boone is reportedly deciding what to do with Stanton and Judge between playing right or left field and DH.

Um.  Mr. Boone, excuse me please but there already IS a left fielder and The Gardy Party still happens frequently.

And right field is The Judges Chamber so that’s out too.  Stanton should learn infield or become the most expensive DH in history.  

And hey where is Torres going to play?  Can’t play short, they’re good there.  Second, I guess, with Star’s (sniffle) departure?

Aww.  Chase Headley was very frustrating to watch at times but I'll still miss him.  Also...

25D05D17-FE02-475A-8AA1-B729C9C3C755.jpeg

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

So Chase Headley and Bryan Mitchell to the Padres for Jabari Blash.

Also yesterday Pat Neshak re-signed with the Phillies after they traded him last year to the Rockies.

The talking heads on MLB NETWORK seem to think he will be trade bait again this year to get more prospects.

Aww.  Chase Headley was very frustrating to watch at times but I'll still miss him.

Yes, mojoween. I learned to love him the last 2 yrs or so. Good guy, team player, nice person. He surprised me at first base last season. He did a good job and I think he would have been a good soldier this year so he could try to be a champion. Like CC, he was a good clubhouse guy and management really liked him. But it's a biz. I hope he and Starlin get traded again before the season starts to some good or near good teams that need what they can offer. 

BTW, It would not surprise me if they packaged Gardner. They might encounter some "Eli Manning Fan Reaction" if that happened. 

• Love 2

I saw an interview with Aaron Boone from the winter meetings. Since he was in a suit, it felt more like Aaron Boone ESPN employee than Yankee manager.

I probably won't make that mental switch until he's actually wearing the pinstripes.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

It's like a Black Hole of money. 

Former owner Jeffery Loria actually was a black hole of money.

Starting in Montreal, his entire career as an owner was based on debt and leverage. MLB allowed him to keep rolling that debt over to the point where the Marlins are now $400 million in the hole and the people of Miami will be paying for that stadium until late 2040s.

42 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Michael Pineda to Twins, according to MLB Network.

(Not surprised, considering the Yankees dropped Eovaldi like a hot potato after he got hurt.)

Pineda's got another problem, he's consistently inconsistent.  You never know what Pineda is going to take the mound, the one that's lights out, or the one that completely sucks.

• Love 1

I’ve been a Yankee fan since like 91 but I never fell in love with a team like I did last year, even when my man Bernie was there.

So losing any of these guys is going to make me sad, regardless how annoyed I could get at their performance.

• Love 2

I’m watching the Yankees replay of the Farewell to the Boss and it amused me that it was seven years ago and CC is pitching and the first batter up in the third is Gardner.

Kenny Singleton should become a psychic.  He’s talking about Gardy and said that he can definitely see him becoming the leadoff hitter.

Buster Olney was musing today that Judge should move to leadoff and no.  It’s Gardy’s.

• Love 1

Ian Kinsler is being traded to the Angels.

Juan Nicasio signed with the Mariners.

Also the Mariners traded International Bonus Pool Money for a player from the Rays.

Plus Bob Costas received the Ford C Frick award and will installed in the hall of fame in July.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 2

Got am e-mail from the Mets: Saturday, May 19, the team will hand out 25,000 "Star Wars Night Mr. Met as Han Solo" Bobbleheads. Not that tempted to go and/or elbow somebody in the face for something that isn't going to be that valuable one day.

Checking out the Mets' promo schedule for player-based stuff:

May 5: Yoenis Céspedes Gnome (will it have a limp?)

July 7: Jacob deGrom Bobblehead (that does not bode well for the one pitcher that kept healthy last year)

July 8: Yoenis Céspedes Shin Guard (???)

I suspect that we should get word on what will be the tees on "Free Shirt Fridays." In other news, the final game of the Mets/Yankees series at Citi Field will be on Sunday, July 10, at 1:10. Not included: an asterisk denoting "Yeah fucking right. ESPN is so gonna bump this one to 8."

• Love 3

Seems a lot of stuff happened when I left the house today.  

Zack Cozart to the Angels foe 3/$38

Carlos Santana to the Phillies for 3/$60

Hector Rondon to the Astros (but I knew that before I left the house.

Edited by jennifer6973
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know he’s old but I'm glad the Yanks resigned CC.

I think it's great that he was able to overcome his weight and alcohol issues and continues to be a solid contributor.

• Love 2

This YouTube vid about the 10 grossest fans is hilarious. It’s clips of fans for all sports but the #1 rank was at a baseball game and it’s hilarious. Disgusting, but hilarious.