Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Ho.Lee.Shit I was not expecting that comeback!

(When Green came in, I was like “OK, we’re losing.”)

RIGHT!?!  Who could have ever seen three straight K’s from him.

Things that hopefully leave 2020 never to be seen again

• 7 inning games
  • starting extras with a runner on second
  • home teams as the away team (the Yankees getting walked off at Yankee Stadium is a TRAVESTY)
  • COVID
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

• 7 inning games
  • home teams as the away team (the Yankees getting walked off at Yankee Stadium is a TRAVESTY)
  • COVID

Your list is perfect except for one thing...you forgot to add Manfred!! 

• Love 5

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure most if not all if these things are staying except maybe the home/away thing. 

There's rumors Jays may be in the hunt for a trade, I hope not bc I don't want to lose any players which is dumb. Also I really don't want Clevinger. Fortunately Jays are not the type to make big trades. 

However I would also appreciate it if they could stop acquiring guys that can't play baseball very well. 

ETA Clevinger to Padres. So with Machado I guess they're cornering the market on assholes.

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 3

I think they consider it an official game, which is not necessarily a complete game.

Like, if the game were rained out in the 7th and you pitched 7, is that a complete game? If it is, then OK these double-header games should be too, but if that isn't neither are these.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Like, if the game were rained out in the 7th and you pitched 7, is that a complete game? If it is, then OK these double-header games should be too, but if that isn't neither are these.

That wouldn't be a complete game because you were expecting to play the 9. For the doubleheader, the rule is a 7 inning game though. 

• Love 1

I'm not saying what the rule is. I'm saying what I think it should be. (I don't know what it actually is.)

My premise is: baseball is a 9 inning game. Under certain special circumstances the league allows a game to be considered complete when fewer innings have been completed. Those circumstances include: weather and double-headers during a pandemic. Whether it is known prior to start that it'll need to stop before 9, to me, matters less than the part where it is an exception baked into the rules.

• Love 1

It’s been awhile, so I feel like revisiting one of the classics - Manfred has GOT TO GO.

His suspension system is trash and he is trash and the manager of the Rays says trash things.

In other, happier news, look who joined Twitter!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

And this comes after the Mets defeated the Orioles. I’m not sure if that is fitting or not.

I think that I mentioned I was in attendance the day the Mets retired his number. He ended his speech by running to the mound and bowing in four directions.

RIP Tom Terrific. Here’s to the original Franchise. 😞😞😞

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Damn, he had Covid and Lewy Body Dementia (What Robin Williams had). Sad, but death might have been a blessing. R.I.P.

I felt the same way when I read about the dementia. The toll it takes, both on the individual and the people who love and care for them, is truly terrible. 

• Love 6

Mets just walked off against the Yankees in ten. Gary Cohen: “And the Mets yank it out, 9-7!” Okie-doke, then.

Big celebration at home plate for Polar Bear’s homer. Do other teams do that? Is it acceptable if they know everyone is cleared?

Every team has been doing it. I thought it was explicitly disallowed under the guidelines, but no one seems to be enforcing that. IMO it's incredibly stupid if they're not all masked. Maybe they're presuming it's OK under the "not continuous for 10 minutes" premise, but...that's an awful lot of close, uncovered breathing.

Tonight, the Mets had one of the most creative and appropriate tributes to a colleague that I have ever seen. Everyone dirtied their right knee in remembrance of Seaver's classic "drop and drive" delivery.

7LOADCX57RH6TGOEA6VWS7KMLM.jpg

• Love 12
On 8/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, mojoween said:

RIGHT!?!  Who could have ever seen three straight K’s from him.

• 7 inning games
  • COVID

I don't mind 7 inning games and love extra innings starting with runners on second.  But then, I love the cardboard cutouts, so my taste might be suspect.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Why are the nonexistent fans in Oakland cheering for San Diego?

I wonder how they picked the people who run the sound boards and what guidance they have. I'm a fan of the 12-25 Pirates and I would be hitting the "boo" button all the damn time.

• LOL 2

They work for Sportsnet, I think all of the Sportsnet employees have stayed in Canada. With baseball I doubt Sahlen field has a good infrastructure for them to broadcast from there. Also they may have preferred their staff stayed in Canada due to covid. But I would bet mostly broadcasting infrastructure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The box score for that Miami/Atlanta game is bonkers.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:54 PM, mojoween said:

Why didn’t Toronto’s announcers move with the team to Buffalo so they could call some games live and not on a monitor?

I wonder if remote broadcasting for road games will become more standard. It's an easy way for networks to save money and, for the most part, the product is indistinguishable. 

49 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The box score for that Miami/Atlanta game is bonkers.

I wonder if remote broadcasting for road games will become more standard. It's an easy way for networks to save money and, for the most part, the product is indistinguishable. 

Weeellllllll....except for when Paul or Kenny start talking when Michael is.  Or the microphone in Studio 21 sounds like Paul is broadcasting from inside a tin can.

• Love 1

Wait wait wait.  MLB wants a bubble for the playoffs?  And the LCS and WS out west, which is a toaster and also on fire?  No playoffs in Yankee Stadium if they make it?  The home team getting all three games in the WC?

If they’ve done the season this way for this long, there is no need to change for the playoffs.  I hate everything about this.

• Love 6

Last night, the Pirates' starter gave up nine earned runs. . . on four hits. (Six walks.)

There are a handful of teams in competition for the worst record in the league. However, this year, the worst record is no longer guaranteed the first pick in the draft. It's up to Manfred, who can also choose to implement a lottery. So far Manfred hasn't announced his decision, so Pirates fans (me) are increasingly worried that if they keep the course and end up with the worst record, there will be a lottery. However, if one of the big market teams (D Backs, Red Sox) has the worst record, no lottery and they get the pick.

15 hours ago, cleo said:

That sounds about right. What's his justification for the lottery?

My guess is the goal is to create a TV event. They see how successful the NBA draft lottery is and want something similar. And, like the DH in the NL, the pandemic gives them cover to try it.

• Love 1