Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

So they've cancelled the Jays games against Philly this weekend. I get why but this is ridiculous. If games can't be safely played they need to cancel the season. The suggestions being tossed around are stupid, like the Jays and Nats just keep playing each other day after day. Yeah and the Yankees can just keep playing Baltimore for days on end, and so on and so on.....they want to cut doubleheaders to 7 innings. We're what a week in, this has already become a farce. They need to call it off. Instead, I feel like another week and Manfred will be like - let's just go straight to the playoffs!  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Imagine being the bus driver for that trip.

I just read it's an 18-hour trip.

Maybe the prospect of their own 18-hour bus ride should they test positive for covid in an away market will get more players to start being careful. I saw a picture of the Cards' July 29th game, a whole bunch of players gathered close together on the mound, not wearing masks. Idiots.

• Love 1

I love the Yankees.  I love Aaron Judge go-ahead home runs.

Also, 

CANCEL

THE

SEASON.

I've been having two contradictory thoughts for the past week, during which I've watched every Mets game: 1) It's so great to have baseball back; and 2) This is nuts, they should shut the season down. 

• Love 18
22 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I've been having two contradictory thoughts for the past week, during which I've watched every Mets game: 1) It's so great to have baseball back; and 2) This is nuts, they should shut the season down. 

That's how I feel about the Indians, who are now using the same visiting clubhouse in Minnesota that the Cardinals just vacated.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Me too, exactly. We're one week into the season and so much has happened already to make continuing seem unwise. 

• Love 5

Can you also imagine the reactions of the Marlins players/coaches/clubhouse staff who were doing what they were supposed to and still got infected through the carelessness and stupidity of others on the team? I'd be infuriated. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Can you also imagine the reactions of the Marlins players/coaches/clubhouse staff who were doing what they were supposed to and still got infected through the carelessness and stupidity of others on the team? I'd be infuriated. 

And that's before you get stuck on a eighteen hour bus ride heading into a hurricane with them.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

As a Padres fan...yes, and yes. I've been trying to figure out what the rules even are, while watching the broadcasts. Some guys in the dugouts wear masks, some don't - some pull the mask off to turn and talk to someone else (really?), etc.  I'm happy to have this weird season happening, but they really should just end it. I don't know if things will be back to "normal" by next Spring, but we'd have more knowledge to live and work with the virus.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah that's the thing- next yr. There is no guarantee this is going away and if Manfred or the owners had any brains they would start to plan a different strategy now just in case. Players too.

I can't believe the thing with the Marlins was just Mon. So like 5 teams benched in 5 days. Marlins, Nats, Jays, Phillies, Cardinals. I feel like I'm missing one. Brewers I guess? Whoever the Cards were supposed to play. 6 teams. 

I know they dont all have positives, it's just the ripple effect.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5

I don’t know if they showed this on the TV broadcast because I didn’t get in the house in time, but Suzyn Waldman sang the national anthem at Yankee Stadium and it was delightful.

• Love 4

So the whole "get it under control or it'll end by Monday" thing...not that I disagree it probably needs to end very soon, but given the incubation period, following the protocols NOW and getting stricter now will prevent infections that likely wouldn't be detectable til Wednesday at the earliest. So, I mean, yes please do follow the protocols everyone. I don't want more players sick. But the way the threat is phrased is as if the  behavior over the next few days will be the determining factor, when really it's more like a waiting period to determine if it's already irreparably fucked.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love the Yankees.  I love Aaron Judge go-ahead home runs.

Also, 

CANCEL

THE

SEASON.

If only I could use 2 of the reaction emojis for posts.  I'd certainly Like the second part of this.  As for the first part, I'd have to use the Angry emoji.  There's no Angry emoji?  Well, there needs to be!!  

🙂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Am I hearing things or does Atlanta play "Under the Sea" when Nimmo bats? Wrong Disney fish movie, Atlanta. Also Nimmo's pronounced with a short i.

I’m watching CW11 in New York on the DVR. I’m not hearing anything. Given the Mets are the visiting team, would they get at-bat music?

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know if they showed this on the TV broadcast because I didn’t get in the house in time, but Suzyn Waldman sang the national anthem at Yankee Stadium and it was delightful.

She was a theater actress/singer in a previous life.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I’m not hearing anything. Given the Mets are the visiting team, would they get at-bat music?

Normally I'd not expect them to but I could've sworn the organist was playing it right before he went up. It might've just been during the one inning...

ETA: OK now I'm 98% sure I heard it in the 8th. The notes were the "darlin' it's better" part of the song.

YES, after playing the slowest version of “God Bless America” in recorded history, played “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” on the broadcast.  Be still my heart.

I did sing that out loud at home and I did sing “root root root for the Yankees”.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I've been watching NBA games and behind the scene  player vlogs about life in the bubble. In addition to the general concept of the bubble, the actual protocols the league uses are a magnitude better than MLB. For example, not only are the courtside seats for players and coaches spaced out, they are assigned. You can't just sit wherever you want. Mask wearing is mandatory in any area where players might run into someone that is not a player or coach. (Elevators, hallways, the lobby etc.) And those rules are enforced.

It's really unfortunate that baseball didn't match that level of detail.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

I'm watching the Indians/Twins game and I'm still not seeing much of an improvement with masks, distancing, etc. The coaches, managers, even front office people if need be, have to come down harder on these guys. They have no excuses when it comes to spacing if a player is not at bat, about to bat or in the field. There are thousands of empty seats all around them!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love my Cubbies, but it's been disappointing to see how little masking there is, almost no social distancing (the starting pitchers not pitching that night sit in the stands, everyone else crams into the dugout as usual), and they're still high fiving all the damn time. Kris Bryant seemed to be trying to mask as much as possible, but the last couple of games it appears he's given up. 

They're playing the Pirates tonight, and Josh Bell at 1st has been pulling up a mask anytime he's near another player, even for mound visits. I don't understand, with everything going on league wide, why they're not all doing this. 

• Love 5

They need to end it. They did not have a solid enough plan to begin with and either confusion or laziness is not helping enforce any of the safety protocols. I'm so impressed with the NBA bubble, although that hangs on a thread, too (one person in their bubble could bring the whole thing down). MLB just did not do enough preparation or enforcement, imo. They are forced into being reactive because they didn't plan enough.

• Love 4

Mascots dealing with no crowds. I thought it would be an actual article, as opposed to a few cute/goofy pics. It’s still worth a look, though.

With the Marlins fucking up this huge, I’m guessing the Astros are off the hook for their transgressions. “Yeah, we MAY have cheated to extend our season, but at least we didn’t enable a damn plague that could end the season!”

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

With the Marlins fucking up this huge, I’m guessing the Astros are off the hook for their transgressions. “Yeah, we MAY have cheated to extend our season, but at least we didn’t enable a damn plague that could end the season!”

No, they're not.  Ever.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

@Jenniferbug I am also watching the Cubs, and agree with everything you said.   There seem to be only a handful of guys in the dugout that are wearing their masks/gaiters consistently (see: David Ross). 
Yu had a good game tonight 👏👏

I was so relieved to see Yu pitch so well tonight! And Ryan wasn't terrible either! Kimbrel has got to go. 

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

My husband and I said last night that the Astros are probably feeling less pressure this season than they would have otherwise. 

On another note, I'm loving having a DH slot this year! Is that sticking around permanently or was it part of their shortened season changes?

• Love 1

I used to be ok with pitchers hitting, because I figured if you're a major league player you should be able to bat decently, but now I'm like "Is anyone really excited to see Jon Lester bat? I'd much rather see Caratini or Contreras or Schwarber get the chance" so I'm a convert LOL

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I used to be ok with pitchers hitting, because I figured if you're a major league player you should be able to bat decently, but now I'm like "Is anyone really excited to see Jon Lester bat? I'd much rather see Caratini or Contreras or Schwarber get the chance" so I'm a convert LOL

With the DH, we never would have been treated to the greatest blast in the history of the game...

• Love 10

Right now, I think the best (out of a bunch of bad) option is to finish the weekend, and have a week long shutdown. Find the true extent of the virus. Beef up the protocols (call the NBA). And then decide if the season can continue. Right now, the league is playing whack a mole that is not instilling confidence in anyone, including the players.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

YES, after playing the slowest version of “God Bless America” in recorded history, played “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” on the broadcast.  Be still my heart.

I did sing that out loud at home and I did sing “root root root for the Yankees”.

I wish the Indians would do that. I miss not being able to go to the games - besides the games themselves, I miss dollar dog nights, fireworks nights, giveaways, even the wave. Yes, I said it.

True story - I spent most of the past two weeks under self-quarantine when someone I worked for tested positive. I had to drive into Cleveland to be tested myself (which ultimately turned out to be negative, thank goodness). Being July, late afternoon and driving west on I-90...under those circumstances, I would usually be going to the ballpark, and I felt a pang of sadness that I wasn't. 

That's why I wish the players would shape up and wear masks full-time, space themselves out, stop spitting, stop the high-fives and no post game celebrations for the winning team after the last out. The staffs have to be vigilant about enforcing the rules. If a player doesn't stop breaking them, he doesn't play - pure and simple. What is so hard about that???

• Love 8