Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Mike Ford yelled out “that’s fuckin’ bullshit” in the dugout and he’s goddamned right.

Angel Hernandez is the WORST.

I think it's a close call, but I'm still going with Joe West.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

So they could have ordered their glass of milk or cup of coffee from room service?  Instead, they chose to run amok in a pandemic.

Yes, because I'm sure it was a "glass of milk" they went out for. 😉

• LOL 8

Better late than never. Maybe they will pull this off.

MLB tightens coronavirus rules, requiring masks in dugouts and compliance officers

Each team’s compliance officer will enforce protocols, which require players and staff members to wear face coverings at all times in hotels and public places, including on team buses and airplanes. While on the road, teams must provide a large private room or ballroom where staff members and players can get food and maintain social distancing. Players who want to leave the team hotel must get approval from their compliance officer

• Love 9
Just now, Jenniferbug said:

Cubs and Cardinals games cancelled due to more Cardinals testing positive. 

I'm the exact opposite of a Cub fan (Let's Go White Sox!) but I wish them good health while they are in St. Louis.  I'm not sure what the Cards are doing but it's not working!!

• Love 3

Because of the latest "postponement", the Cards will have only played five games headed into Monday. Most other teams will have played 15-16.

Outside of three inning triple headers, there is no way they can make up that amount of games.

• Love 1

This morning on NPR their "sports reporter" indicating that all the rule changes we are seeing in "pandemic MLB" are basically going to be permanent. So double headers will be seven innings, both leagues will have the DH, etc. etc.  Most of this apparently motivated by the owners' perception that our modern attention span is too short for baseball as it was (for how long, now?).

I don't know about you guys, but if that is true I'm permanently done with watching professional baseball. Its too tragic.

• Love 1

A's fans were still able to make their fury at the Astros known when the teams played in Oakland last night. They may not be physically allowed in the stadium, so they did the next best thing:

BB17J4iy.jpeg

Edited by catlover79
  • LOL 8
  • Love 12

I understand the DH staying but 7 inning doubleheaders is bullshit. Does the MLBPA have to agree? Like do they have to negotiate these changes in the CBA?

ETA I'm sure they'll reduce ticket prices to reflect less entertainment right?

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5

A's and Astros got into a brawl today after Ramon Laureano objected to being hit by pitches twice, and Astros coach Alex Cintron chirped at him from the dugout till Laureano charged the dugout.  Laureano and A's catcher Austin Allen were kicked out.

This happened after Dusty Baker was kicked out of the game for arguing balls and strikes from the dugout.

• Love 1

Has anyone else seen this news? Indians pitcher Zach Plesac sent home to quarantine after going out with friends. Good for Cleveland for taking quick action, but so frustrating how one person can potentially screw over 2 teams. 

Edit: tried to include the link which showed fine in my posting window but then showed something completely different once I posted to the thread. Sorry! 

Edited by Jenniferbug
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Has anyone else seen this news? Indians pitcher Zach Plesac sent home to quarantine after going out with friends. Good for Cleveland for taking quick action, but so frustrating how one person can potentially screw over 2 teams. 

One of the local sportswriters on the team beat wrote an interesting op-ed about it. I don't know what Zach Plesac was thinking. 😠

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/08/what-was-cleveland-indians-zach-plesac-thinking-about-paul-hoynes.html?fbclid=IwAR29PVG9t4t7l0VuAqsYddI3V9zlnz3zgGcMAyDX5_M7GN9I_evPFecElDI

It also has to be awkward for his Uncle Dan, who is one of the anchors on the MLB Network!! 😳

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

When does Manfred announce the suspensions for the Astros pitchers?

This. So Joe Kelly gets an 8 game suspension for throwing a ball that didn't even touch a guy. Astros actually hit Oakland players 5 TIMES in the course of a 3 game series and there was nothing? No warnings, no pitchers tossed? Oakland doesn't retaliate and just keeps playing. Until finally a guy gets hit and has had enough. Hard to blame him. 

Manfred has created a situation where the Astros feel untouchable. I'm very interested to see how the suspensions come down for this.    

• Love 18

The Astros coach said something about Laureano's mother. That was the final straw that made him snap. And of course, said coach ducked out. 

I see Ramon getting suspended, no one else. Manfred seems to be protecting the Astros. Screw that. It was an ugly series, and I'm beyond thrilled that the A's swept.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12

ANYONE, no matter what "culture" is offended by "mama" references.  I think all teams involved in fighting, whether instigator or retalliator, should get a "L" in their game column as well as fines and/or suspensions.  A couple thou is nothing to millionaires.  Being or not being in the playoffs could matter to them.

Plesac was jumped on extra strong because, as baseball "royalty" he had to be made an example of for his stupidity.  (His friends or whoever he partied with should have helped him out by NOT being there).  I didn't hear Uncle Dan say anything on MLB Tonight when he was on yesterday.  He should have mentioned that there's a thing with his nephew and he doesn't want to comment.  There was no news crawl while I was watching it.  Not a good look.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

Plesac was jumped on extra strong because, as baseball "royalty" he had to be made an example of for his stupidity.  (His friends or whoever he partied with should have helped him out by NOT being there).  I didn't hear Uncle Dan say anything on MLB Tonight when he was on yesterday.  He should have mentioned that there's a thing with his nephew and he doesn't want to comment.  There was no news crawl while I was watching it.  Not a good look.

In all fairness, the news didn't break until last night. I don't know if Uncle Dan was on the air at the time (I think a ballgame was on MLB Network then).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cleo said:

This. So Joe Kelly gets an 8 game suspension for throwing a ball that didn't even touch a guy. Astros actually hit Oakland players 5 TIMES in the course of a 3 game series and there was nothing? No warnings, no pitchers tossed? Oakland doesn't retaliate and just keeps playing. Until finally a guy gets hit and has had enough. Hard to blame him. 

Manfred has created a situation where the Astros feel untouchable. I'm very interested to see how the suspensions come down for this.    

Why exactly is that spineless jellyfish Manfred in love with the Astros? Do they have something on him? 

• Love 3

Cleveland apparently sent home pitcher Clevenger as well. He was out with Plesac, didn't speak up, and flew home with the team before they found out 🤦‍♀️

I'm finding this news on Bleacher Nation, which is a Cubs fan page on Facebook. They're covering it because the Cubs are supposed to play Cleveland tomorrow. 

• Love 1

At this point, if/when the season gets cancelled, it's as much the player's faults as Manfred's. They should be smarter than this by now and they are still acting like a pandemic is no big deal in many cases. 

Also, the Astros suck.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Cleveland apparently sent home pitcher Clevenger as well. He was out with Plesac, didn't speak up, and flew home with the team before they found out 🤦‍♀️

I'm finding this news on Bleacher Nation, which is a Cubs fan page on Facebook. They're covering it because the Cubs are supposed to play Cleveland tomorrow. 

Clev - that doesn't surprise me at all. He and Plesac are joined at the hip - and I'm sure Tito, Sandy and the rest are fuming.

I wonder how Plesac was caught by the MLB personnel and Clev wasn't. As my mom would say, the plot sickens!!! 😠😠😠😠😠

• Love 4

Seriously why do they need to spit so much? I see them on camera and the same guy again and again and again.

Other athletes in other sports don't do it ( not that I am an expert).

I really find it repulsive to watch. In regular seasons I would imagine the state of the ground in and around the dugout. It would be gross even to walk through.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

It's great to see Tito back in the Tribe dugout tonight. It's not so great to see him lift his mask and spit. *SIGH*

I thought that was a punishable offense this season.  We'll see... 

• Love 1

Yes I thought the original MLB "plan" involved a no spitting rule. Seriously, suspend people coach or player who don't social distance during the game, don't wear a mask, and intentionally spread their internal fluids. Fuck this.

• Love 7

Not meaning to harp on the Clev/Plesac scandal du jour, but the more I think about it, I don't know which of the two to despise more -- Plesac for not narcing on his 'bra and letting him infect the entire plane, or Clevinger for not having his 'bra's back and fessing up and driving in the Rental Car of Shame back to, gulp, Cleveland.

My White Sox didn't beat them, but my Cubs did!

• Love 1

Here's an op-ed about the situation - and Frankie Lindor and Adam Plutko (who started in place of Clevinger last night and will again this weekend in Detroit) were both blunt and eloquent in their statements to the press. Here's the link:

https://www.letsgotribe.com/2020/8/12/21364737/indians-can-survive-without-mike-clevinger

I can only speak for myself, but you could sequester me in a five-star hotel with unlimited room service, Netflix, internet and king-size bed and there would be no complaints from me!! Heck, I've heard of some players who take their fan mail with them on road trips and answer it during lulls. That's a great way to pass the time, and it's a great way to give back to the fans. Too bad they didn't think about that before sneaking out of the hotel. 

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 12