Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, xaxat said:

What a contrast. One team goes with one of their aces on three days rest while the other team (in an elimination game) goes with a bullpen game.

I watched a little bit of the game. At one point the announcers pointed out that the Rays have had more than 140 different starting lineups this year, and I think they used over 30 different pitchers during the season. 

So unconventional but definitely going with what got them here.

• Love 1

I questioned the Verlander decision as it seemed like one of those "bold" moves and not one made with the strengths of the player in mind. Verlander is a creature of habit and routine, and he is not someone that starts on short rest. It went about as well as I thought and hoped it would! Now the Astros have to use Cole in a Game 5, which even if they win, they can't use him again until Game 3, and the two other aces are coming off of rough outings. I'd be a little nervous if I were a Houston fan, especially with Glasnow going for Tampa.

• Love 2

I really thought the Braves would take it. Wow sucks for the rest of the team. I was looking forward to seeing Josh Donaldson all fired up for the next series. 

ETA I would insert a gif but I'm too tired to figure out how. You kids and your wacky new technology. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2

I’m surrounded by Dodgers fans and I can’t help feeling sorry for them after years of awesome regular seasons and mediocre playoffs. I wonder if this will finally be the end of Dave Roberts tenure in LA.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m surrounded by Dodgers fans and I can’t help feeling sorry for them after years of awesome regular seasons and mediocre playoffs. I wonder if this will finally be the end of Dave Roberts tenure in LA.

Don't feel sorry for them yet.  This is the Nats bullpen we're about to see. 

• Love 1

Putting Clayton Kershaw in to try to close out a do-or-die playoff game, even with a two-run lead, was absolute lunacy.  I had zero doubt the Nats would win after that.  Congrats, Nats, now please go beat the Cards.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, cleo said:

I really thought the Braves would take it. Wow sucks for the rest of the team.

I actually predicted that the Braves would win the NL pennant. While I am in no way a Braves fan, I was rooting for Kevin Seitzer (hitting coach) to finally get his ring.

• Love 2

The Nationals are headed to the NLCS!  They finally got past the ghost of the 2011 division series when they lost to St. Louis after being ahead by 6 runs.  What a comeback they've had after a terrible start this year.  

Fingers are crossed for the Astros tonight!

I feel like if @MVFrostsMyPie were a smoker, one was had after the Kendrick slam.

The shots of Kershaw all alone in the dugout after that horrible inning were so sad.  I’m not a Dodgers fan that much but I always feel badly for the guy who did the terrible thing when the camera lingers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I went to bed after the 8th inning, so I woke up to the news. Oh, said I, the Natsies won!  And, having heard myself say that out loud, reminded myself not to use that nickname out loud ever again.  It's okay in writing. It's really not okay out loud.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, cleo said:

I really thought the Braves would take it. Wow sucks for the rest of the team. I was looking forward to seeing Josh Donaldson all fired up for the next series. 

ETA I would insert a gif but I'm too tired to figure out how. You kids and your wacky new technology. 

Here you go:

runs.gif

• LOL 4
58 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Now you can add Gabe Kapler to the list of managerial casualties.

It was inevitable. I had very little doubt that it was going to happen I'm just a little surprised it took as long as it did. The calls from fans was to loud for the ownership group to ignore.  Some Philly insiders are saying they think Buck Sholwalter will be a front runner but it's going to be someone coming in with managerial experience. 

Edited by shoregirl

So MLB switched baseballs for the post season from the ones they've been using all year. The balls being used in the playoffs catch substantially more wind resistance and don't travel as far. Just in case you were wondering why teams that have been blasting homers all year are suddenly having them die on the warning track or hitting off the outfield wall.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

So MLB switched baseballs for the post season from the ones they've been using all year. The balls being used in the playoffs catch substantially more wind resistance and don't travel as far. Just in case you were wondering why teams that have been blasting homers all year are suddenly having them die on the warning track or hitting off the outfield wall.

That's bullshit. I'm an agnostic about the number of home runs, but you don't change the game going into the playoffs.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

“Tonight Is For All the Orange Juice” makes me laugh.

All I ask is that no Astro hits a home run tonight so they don’t play that blasted train horn.

I love the train horn. 

• Love 3

I am wearing my custom pants. 

image.thumb.jpg.f173cf7f4c2e5276e4cab4235f1bfb29.jpg

FYI, I’ve had janitorial services over at my row twice because the people behind us keep spilling their beers. That’s expensive excitement. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Did the Cards do something specific?  Or is that just a general they suck sentiment?

Threw at Ronald Acuna multiple times, including up 13-1 in game 5, complained non-stop about him not playing the game the right way/unwritten rules BS.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

GOP leaders in Georgia and Braves fans thought the Braves losing was karma for the organization not giving fans foam tomahawks to do their chant with. 😆

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/10/braves-playoff-loss-was-karma-not-distributing-foam-tomahawks-say-georgia-gop-leaders/

Or... maybe it's karma for having a tomahawk chant at all. Or maybe the Cards were just better. 🤷🏻‍♀️

What a bunch of grandstanding snowflakes idiots.

• Love 9