Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

You think maybe Mickey Callaway would be better off with using a random position player as a closer instead of Edwin Diaz?

The guy is basically a modern Ed Whitson at this point. If the Wilpons  were as easy to anger as Steinbrenner, Diaz would’ve been shoved into a suitcase and shipped to Seattle.

ETA: Mets get the win on a walk-off walk. They had two out and heading to extra innings. Hit, hit, hit by pitch, walk. Almost like the Phillies felt bad for Diaz. “Damn. You know what? Y’all can have this game back.”

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

MLB considering random testing for opioids after Skaggs' death.  They didn't test for opioids before now?  When the country is in the middle of an opioid epidemic, with more than 100 people dying a day?  Of course this is the same organization that refused to admit that amphetamines, cocaine, and steroids were also being used by players.

• Love 4

Deadspin highlights shirtless Polar Bear. Question: should someone get that treatment for a walk-off even if he merely walked in the winning run? I mean, the count was 3-2, and Alonso had a good eye, but come on. Then again, maybe the jersey-ripping is indicative of the Mets not knowing how much more meaningful baseball they have left to play.

Another Question: was there some legal reason the Nationals couldn't wear Senators gear when they had their throwback day? I imagine folks in Montreal seeing those Expos jerseys and getting pissed off all over again.

9 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Deadspin highlights shirtless Polar Bear. Question: should someone get that treatment for a walk-off even if he merely walked in the winning run? I mean, the count was 3-2, and Alonso had a good eye, but come on. Then again, maybe the jersey-ripping is indicative of the Mets not knowing how much more meaningful baseball they have left to play.

Another Question: was there some legal reason the Nationals couldn't wear Senators gear when they had their throwback day? I imagine folks in Montreal seeing those Expos jerseys and getting pissed off all over again.

For one, the shirt ripping isn't a Mets thing, all the teams do it.

Secondly, the Nationals don't do Senators throwbacks because throwbacks are supposed to be about team history and it was never the Senators. Those teams are now the Twins and Rangers. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Secondly, the Nationals don't do Senators throwbacks because throwbacks are supposed to be about team history and it was never the Senators. Those teams are now the Twins and Rangers. 

No, I get that. I was just thinking that would have been more fitting than Expos jerseys. I’m willing to bet that there was at least one game where the Mariners came out in Pilots jerseys, even though the Pilots are now the Brewers.

9 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

No, I get that. I was just thinking that would have been more fitting than Expos jerseys. I’m willing to bet that there was at least one game where the Mariners came out in Pilots jerseys, even though the Pilots are now the Brewers.

Then I would venture to guess that people would rather see Expos throwbacks than Senators ones. Also, I think the Expos throwbacks were from 1969, making it a 50 year dealie they were wanting to promote.

ETA: I looked it up. Apparently, the Nationals wearing Expos throwbacks are the first time they'd ever done it. Previous throwbacks have always been the Senators.

13 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Then I would venture to guess that people would rather see Expos throwbacks than Senators ones. Also, I think the Expos throwbacks were from 1969, making it a 50 year dealie they were wanting to promote.

ETA: I looked it up. Apparently, the Nationals wearing Expos throwbacks are the first time they'd ever done it. Previous throwbacks have always been the Senators.

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I mean the Nationals correct throwback should be the Expos..thats the team they came from they were never the Senators. Just because they are in Washington does not make the Senators the right throwback.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Someone take @kariyaki ‘s credit card away.

Unless, and I don’t think this is an impossibility, you already own it.

Ha. No, but this is the thing. They make lots of different Astros fabric and my mother likes to sew. So I have two fleece throw blankets, various capris pants, shorts, etc, all Astros-themed and made by my mommy. 

I get lots of compliments too. I went to Milwaukee for Astros away games and I lost track of how many Brewers fans liked my pants.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Okay, kariyaki, I am just blatantly hoping to up my street cred and impress you.  When the new ballpark opened up as Enron Field and Ruggles was the restaurant in center field, we had our rehearsal dinner in the outfield seats with the lights on.  Everyone thinks it was Mr. CRS’ idea.  It wasn’t. 😉

What restaurant is there now?  I always thought Treebeards missed an opportunity.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Okay, kariyaki, I am just blatantly hoping to up my street cred and impress you.  When the new ballpark opened up as Enron Field and Ruggles was the restaurant in center field, we had our rehearsal dinner in the outfield seats with the lights on.  Everyone thinks it was Mr. CRS’ idea.  It wasn’t. 😉

What restaurant is there now?  I always thought Treebeards missed an opportunity.

It was the Five Seven Grill for a while (in honor of Bagwell and Biggio’s numbers) but they remodeled the center field area a couple years ago and there isn’t a sit-down restaurant there anymore. Now there’s various multi-level bars, a Torchys Tacos, a wing place, standing room, etc.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Christian Yelich broken kneecap, out for the season.

Straight up devastating for Yeli and my Brewers. Dude represents everything I love about the game. 

NL Central and wild card race wide open now.  

Edited by Clarevoyent
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Clarevoyent said:

Straight up devastating for Yeli and my Brewers. Dude represents everything I love about the game. 

I'm sure my pastor is crying right now. Sure, he has served at my church and lived in the Cleveland suburbs for several years now - but he was born and raised in Wisconsin and lived there before moving here four years ago. He is still a rabid fan of the Bucks, Packers and Brewers, and is a big Yelich fan. I feel your pain...we Tribe fans know how much debilitating injuries can drain a team, especially at this point of the season.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Mets scored 9 runs on 11 hits yesterday.

How often does that happen? I mean, when a team gets a number of runs and hits that corresponds to the date the game was played. Gotta be a few times a year, right?

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Mets scored 9 runs on 11 hits yesterday.

Also Alonso is not a fan of MLB rules because they wouldn’t let him gets caps made to honor 9/11 so he bought shoes instead.

Was there 1 error?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Also Alonso is not a fan of MLB rules because they wouldn’t let him gets caps made to honor 9/11 so he bought shoes instead.

I wonder if that's an MLB licensing thing. If so, fuck them.

I think nationally most people associate baseball after 9/11 with President Bush throwing out the first pitch at the World Series. But I was still living in Manhattan back then, and that Mets game (the first sporting event in the city after 9/11)  where the wore the first responder hats was unforgettable. 

Apparently they didn't ask the league if they could do it because they knew the answer might me no, so they just did it.

• Love 1

Watching Pirates/Cubs. A pinch hitter comes to the plate, the announcer "Hey, here comes Jason (Heyward) on Friday the thirteenth."

I wonder how long he has been waiting to drop that line.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, Clarevoyent said:

It's a gut punch, no doubt.  Yeli has been in that zone where you just expected him to make the game winning play.  It's a great feeling as a fan when a guy on your team is playing like that and you know the opposing fans are thinking oh shit, here comes Yelich up to bat.  

• Love 2

Brad Hand and Jason Kipnis have both had wrist injuries the past few days. Both have had to get MRIs. I can count on one hand the number of Indians who have been able to play all year without injury, but I'm afraid to name them because I might jinx them. 😳 How did Cal Ripkin do it all those years???

Scary scene over the weekend in DC, when the Braves played the Nats...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tomahawktake.com/2019/09/16/updates-atlanta-braves-charlie-culberson-mostly-good-sad-expected/amp/

I am sure that the greatest emotional support Charlie gets will be from his hitting coach, Kevin Seitzer. In his playing career, Kevin was hit in the head three times. The second time, he suffered facial bone fractures similar to the Charlie's. The third time, he wore a C-flap helmet and wore it for the rest of his career. So, Mr. Culberson has a great support system. I hope and pray he heals quickly, both physically and emotionally.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Yeah, I got the impression that nobody liked him. They may not have had any idea, but if he was that twisted, he might not have had a personality that they liked.

This quote from the article is interesting though:

No matter what role Vazquez played on the team, Pittsburgh, along with the other 31 teams in this league, should have no future plans of employing Vazquez unless a jury of his peers ends up clearing him of every last criminal charge.

I’m guessing the author doesn’t know much about baseball if they think there are 32 teams.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, I got the impression that nobody liked him. They may not have had any idea, but if he was that twisted, he might not have had a personality that they liked.

This quote from the article is interesting though:

I’m guessing the author doesn’t know much about baseball if they think there are 32 teams.

Well, if he's convicted and has to do substantial time he won't have to worry about any team wanting him - 32 or not! (Yeah, where was the fact checker there?)

Another interesting article:

https://triblive.com/sports/felipe-vazquezs-arrest-stirs-up-emotions-in-pirates-clubhouse/

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aww.  Apparently Dellin Betances’s joints weren’t ready for celebrating.  What a sad thing for that poor kid.

That’s almost as bad as Correa’s fractured rib from a massage. How come some of these guys are so fragile?

There are some injuries that it takes just the right angle and just the right force and oops - broken, that if it were just a sliiiightly different position would've been NBD.

I think I might stop watching Mets games on TV when Syndergaard pitches. Sure, sometimes he pitches a gem and it's delightful, but twice as often I'm just watching stolen base after stolen base and that is decidedly not fun.

• Love 1

Congrats to the Astros!  Still keeping my fingers crossed for the Tribe.  Such a young team with so many injuries to their key players, yet they are hanging in there and playing some great ball down the stretch.  Even if they don’t make it to the playoffs, they have given us a heck of a ride!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Domingo German you fucking dick.  If the allegations are true...

Shit.  I don’t have an indignant leg to stand on as long as Aroldis Chapman remains on the roster.

Supposedly slapped his girlfriend in front of a member of the Commissioner’s office. Possibly at the celebration for CC Sabathia