Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Part 1

Danny returns home, with deep reservation, to his family-owned posh resort for the family and friends reunion celebrating 45 years of the opening of the resort. The family are divided in their responses to his suggestion of returning home permanently. The family does agree that trouble tends to follow Danny. A suspicious death. Brother & town sheriff, John, tells a sideline story through flashbacks, and Danny's confusing flashbacks sets the tone for the season.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks! 

• Love 3

Thanks for the individual episode threads! I thought this was a great pilot, I immediately had to see Episode 2 after watching. I am here for Kyle Chandler, and he did not disappoint. He is just a master at making the "good guy" compelling. In almost any other show, the mysterious, unpredictable Danny would have stolen every scene. While Ben Mendelsohn was fantastic in his own right, Chandler more than holds his own and keeps the more stiff and serious brother from being potentially quite boring. 

Speaking of BM though, he is great in this role. I think he's quite handsome IRL, but he looks totally strung out and kind of twitchy here in a way that is very unsettling. At the same time, he made me see how they (especially the mother) keep wanting to give him another chance- he certainly has charisma, and seems like he'd be a lot of fun right up until he can't be counted on or does something illegal. I love seeing this family dynamic depicted, as I think many families have that "black sheep" who they desperately want to trust but can't quite get close to. While the flashforwards were a bit confusing for me, I was definitely hooked at the end. 

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 4

I'm going to try not to blow through these so quickly that I forget to really notice each episode.  We'll see.  It is in my nature to binge and I really did want to watch the next episode after the first one ended.   Fortunately it's late and I have to be up in the morning.

I agree that every family of any size at all has one kid who keeps screwing up and yet you know that kid has so much potential and you want them to get it together and you keep trying after you should give up but you can't give up because that one?  He's the one who taught you to tie your shoes, or whatever.  Sometimes I worry I'm one bad move away from that place myself.    Pretty much my life's ambition in my 20s was not to be a person we had family meetings about.  

I just always find Kyle Chandler compelling.  I always watch him when he's on screen.  I'm less interested in what Danny has done and will do to get himself into that situation than I in how this is going to get Johnny there.   I want to know what Danny did when Johnny was little that won him such allegiance.   

That said I was pretty intrigued by everybody except Keith.  He just hasn't felt as much a part of the family as the other three, yet.  But I have no beef with the actor and am sure I'll invest.  I just need him to have a one on one convo with Kyle Chandler.   Everybody else did and i'm somewhat invested in the rest of them.   I don't mind that he's the one that is least interested in helping Danny.  I just don't feel I know anything about him, yet.   

I will certainly watch the next ep.  Looking forward to it.  

• Love 2

Netflix is my preferred watching anything mechanism.  When I saw this advertised on it's title page, and saw Kyle Chandlers face ... saw that it was based in the Keys ... saw that both Sam Shepherd (does it bother anybody that I still swoon for this guy, even if he has aged?) and Sissy Spacek ... I thought I would give it a chance.  I wasn't disappointed.

Like someone said upthread, I don't want to binge on this, I want to take my time.  The family dynamic alone is so real and hits close to home, being one of five siblings ... we have our screwup (Danny), our mediator (Meg), our ethics teacher (John) and our quick to temper for the right reasons, usually (Kevin).  That is my family in a nutshell.  I am the oops baby, so I am probably someone that will show up later in the series.  ::giggle::

That generation ... the one that was born late 50's, early 60's, we grew up around drinking.  It wasn't social unless you drank and and a cigarette in your hand.  I also grew up in a beach community and they are nailing the dynamics there as well.

It was slow (thank goodness), however I felt that it did a great job in establishing the characters and the feel of Keys.  Life isn't fast on the beach, we tend to take things a little slow.  It's the tourists that make things fast.  ::giggle::

All in all, it captured my attention, and I am moving forward!

• Love 4

I had one major issue with this episode, which was that we are given absolutely no specifics about what merits their treating Danny as the black sheep. You can call him a "screwup" all you want, but so far there's absolutely no evidence of that except from people who treat him like shit anyway and will end up killing him, so I'm not exactly inclined to trust their word no matter if one of them is Coach Taylor. After this hour, I was completely rooting for the apparent bad guy.

Other than that, this is completely awesome. I love the slow burn plot construction, and there's a ton of great actors in big, juicy roles. And as someone who spends quite a bit of time in Florida, the place looks great.

• Love 5

I am another one who tuned in for Kyle Chandler.  Well him and Sissy Spacek.  Beyond on those two starring, I didn't know a lot about it.

For a pilot, I thought it was pretty good.  Basically the first episode 's job is to set things in motion, and this one definitely did that.  I also really like the setting, which at least for me has not been overused by various other tv  shows.  (For example, I'm really not looking for yet another big city cop drama to watch.  I'm just not.) 

I thought this was quite a good part for Kyle.  He can handle the solid, responsible son-brother-father role with ease.  What really impressed me was how soulful he seemed.  He was doing something with his eyes even in his reaction shots that was so interesting and lets you see everything brewing just below the surface.   More than anybody else, He sold me that he loves his brother despite all his misgivings.  And he didn't really have to say a word.

Having said that, I too need more info about Danny.  I got that he's a rascal.  And that he's always broke and never really found himself.  But what did he do that was so unforgivable?  Is he dangerous?  Meh, I didn't really get that.  I know they established he owes people money, but I totally bought that he really did want to be included again.   I also got the impression that whatever has happened with him, these people don't want to give him a chance and  just assume the worse.  I was rooting for him against the collective family.   Case in point, the third brother.  He probably has his reasons, but I wanted somebody to slap him so hard. 

I was wondering how exactly Danny got to the hotel maybe a minute or two after John got back.  I thought Danny got off the bus  a few miles away, and John was at the closer bus stop.

That fight over who gets to sit at the big table?   Been there.  Those fights are always so petty and ugly.  Nobody came off well, but that's usually the case.  Everybody's ego is out there.

saw that both Sam Shepherd (does it bother anybody that I still swoon for this guy, even if he has aged?)

He has looked the same to me since around the time of Steel Magnolias.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Glad we've got episode threads now.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed the pilot.  It usually takes me a while to settle in, and my last Netflix show, Marco Polo, took almost five episodes to really get interesting.  But, by the end of this one, I was really interested in the majority of the characters, and wanting to find out more.  What did Danny do that made him the black sheep?  Why is Megan cheating on her boyfriend, who seems to be a good guy?  Eric and the history he has with Danny and the rest of the family.  And, those flashforwards.  What in the hell happens that causes John to do that?!

Kyle Chandler was the main reason I tuned in, and he definitely didn't let me down. Voiceovers can be problematic on shows, but if anyone can avoid that hurdle, it would be Chandler and his twang.  But, so far, John/Kyle is doing a great job as the narrator for this show.  Ben Mendelsohn really stood out too.  He makes it that I can buy that Danny is kind of a screw-up and a wreck, but I do feel for him, and think there is more to this.  The rest; Sam Shepard, Sissy Spacek, Linda Cardellini, etc.; were all equally great.

Are they actually filming this in The Keys?  Because, it really has that feel to it, and it doesn't look like just a normal "Florida-based" show.

The opening credits are catchy. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I thought the fight over the big table was absolutely ridiculous, and everyone was being rude and insane towards Danny.  I can't imagine ever caring about something like that, but formal events like that are so not my thing.

• Love 5

The family table fight was really petty but I have to admit I was on the Kevin/John side.  Danny comparing his date who he met five minutes earlier to his sister in laws who have been in the family for decades was insulting.  "The family table" may not seem like a big deal to Danny, but to their family it was pretty important considering the occasion so in that instance Danny should of fell back. 

Of course at the end of the day it was more about their dynamics then the seating.

• Love 2

Fantastic casting for the Rayburns, they really had the feel of a real life family. I had so many feels over John saying that he wanted Danny in his life and that he wanted his kids to know their uncle. Since I'm a sucker for sibling relationships I was touched by how hard John was trying to save Danny in the future. Then the two last minutes happened. When they cut from Danny getting what looked like gasoline on him back to the bus stop, I turned to the guy I was watching with and said 'WAS THAT GASOLINE?! DID JOHN POUR GASOLINE ON DANNY?! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!'. Then they cut back to John torching the boat and Danny, which I did not see coming at all.

The setting made me want to visit Florida, especially the scenes at the hotel. Does anyone know where it was filmed?

• Love 3

The setting made me want to visit Florida, especially the scenes at the hotel. Does anyone know where it was filmed?

Not a Floridian, but I think it was Islamorada in the Keys, been there a few times (Keys), and remember the bar where Danny met up with his old friend.

• Love 2

Yeah it was in the credits, filmed at a place called the Moorings in Islamorada (http://themooringsvillage.com/).  Looks super nice but not in my budget!

I also loved the settings outside of the hotel, glad they showed the close juxtaposition of rich and poor that is such a big part of Florida. 

Edited by ladders
  • Love 4

Beach life is pretty laid back, but full of drama ... that is all we have.  Drama.  Oh yeah, and the beach.  ::giggle::

They are pretty much nailing life in the keys.  Beach life in Florida in general. 

Our family has had fights like the table fight.  It's usually a power play.

Help me ... in order from oldest to youngest ... it's Danny, John, Meg then Kevin?

If so, how spooky ... that is my 4 older siblings ... even to the boy, boy, girl, boy.

• Love 1

it's Danny, John, Meg then Kevin?

I think that is right.  I would have guessed Meg as the youngest.  Kevin doesn't look like the baby even if he does act like it.

• Love 1

I only knew about Kyle Chandler. I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to watch it, but then a friend from Florida, raved about it last night, saying that she was hooked after the first episode. We usually like the same shows, so I tuned in this evening.

I have a question, but I can't remember if it was in the first or second episode that we saw someone for the first time. I've seen three episodes, so far.

I love the setting. That beach is beautiful. 

The younger brother is annoying me, so I'm curious as to whether I'll change my mind about him later on.

What on earth would lead them to kill off their brother?? 

• Love 2

Just watched the first episode and I am all in. Kyle Chandler is about the hottest man on the planet for starters. And I was dying when he was attempting to fast dance with his daughter.

Gripping storyline, beautifully acted and filmed, this is right up my alley. One question, I saw Stephen Pasquale of Rescue Me and The Good Wife fame in the credits but did not remember him in the episode, anyone?

Off to watch episode two.

• Love 4

I wondered if they were groom's men in a wedding, with those suits?  Maybe Meg's?  

Starting with the flashforward reminded me a little of the first episode of Revenge.  Rich people partying on a beach, son winds up mysteriously killed, which I assume they'll spend the season leading up to.

I liked this episode, but wasn't really intrigued enough to watch episode 2 right away.

Great cast, and the Keys look amazing, but something didn't click for me.

I'll give it a few more episodes to reel me in though.

• Love 1

I thought the pilot was great, really good pace and it pulled me into their family and setting. I instantly wanted to go to the second episode.

The casting was perfect and the siblings fight/power struggle felt so realistic. 

Starting with the flashforward reminded me a little of the first episode of Revenge.  Rich people partying on a beach, son winds up mysteriously killed, which I assume they'll spend the season leading up to.

Thanks! I knew while watching it I was thinking it felt like another show, but couldn't remember which one. It is the whole Daniel/beach flash forward thing.

• Love 2

It also reminds me of the failed 2012 Bones spin-off called The Finder, just in that I feel like that was also set in Isla Morada, maybe?  And he had a bar there.  

The Finder was suppose to be in Looking Glass Key (fictional), but a lot of the scenes look like Miami.

Bloodline isn't my typical TV fare, but this was a damn good pilot. Lots of f bombs though.

• Love 1

Having said that, I too need more info about Danny.  I got that he's a rascal.  And that he's always broke and never really found himself.  But what did he do that was so unforgivable?  Is he dangerous?  Meh, I didn't really get that.  I know they established he owes people money, but I totally bought that he really did want to be included again.   I also got the impression that whatever has happened with him, these people don't want to give him a chance and  just assume the worse.  I was rooting for him against the collective family.   Case in point, the third brother.  He probably has his reasons, but I wanted somebody to slap him so hard. 

I completely related to Kevin in that scene, because I was that sibling when it came to dealing with/figuring out what to do about one of my brothers. He struggled with addiction his entire life, and many of the things he did and choices he made were very hard on my family, my parents in particular. I was usually the one saying, "Really? We're going to do this again? And we're expecting things to be different....how?" The dynamic in this was scarily similar to scenes that have played out in my own family many times, only with 5 siblings instead of 4. I'm probably projecting my personal experiences onto this family, but everyone being so dismissive and distrusting of him was completely believable for me, because I've been there. It becomes a shorthand between other family members...no need to rehash anything, because everyone is already painfully, and intimately, familiar with the history and all the gory details.

I'm going to force myself to watch this one slowly, because I really enjoyed the pilot and it reeled me in right away. I may even watch it again before watching episode 2, because I know there were some things I missed. And I'm going to force myself not to read any of these threads until after I watch the episode. It's the Netflix curse...so awesome that they release everything all at once, but it's way too easy to just burn through every episode as fast as you can, because you can't wait to find out what happens next...and you don't have to.

• Love 2

I completely related to Kevin in that scene, because I was that sibling when it came to dealing with/figuring out what to do about one of my brothers. He struggled with addiction his entire life, and many of the things he did and choices he made were very hard on my family, my parents in particular. I was usually the one saying, "Really? We're going to do this again? And we're expecting things to be different....how?" The dynamic in this was scarily similar to scenes that have played out in my own family many times, only with 5 siblings instead of 4. I'm probably projecting my personal experiences onto this family, but everyone being so dismissive and distrusting of him was completely believable for me, because I've been there. It becomes a shorthand between other family members...no need to rehash anything, because everyone is already painfully, and intimately, familiar with the history and all the gory details.

I related to Kevin as well, and because of dealing with the same issues in my own family, completely got why everyone was reacting the way that they did.

I couldn't get into Friday Night Lights, and this is not the type of show that I normally watch, but so far I'm really drawn in.  And now want to take a vacation in the Florida Keys.

• Love 2

I thought the fight over the big table was absolutely ridiculous, and everyone was being rude and insane towards Danny.  I can't imagine ever caring about something like that, but formal events like that are so not my thing.

I felt that way too, and then his date's behavior vindicated Kevin and the rest.

It's funny to me that Kevin is the biggest stickler, since he seems maybe one or two steps behind Danny, in terms of being a screw-up.

Funny that many people feel Danny hasn't done anything to warrant this treatment. I watched the episodes out of order. Ep. 2, then 3, and then 1 (to catch up with my husband). In eps 2 and 3, I wondered why they were so rude to Danny. Then when I finally watched this episode, I felt there was something much more threatening and dangerous about Danny. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

• Love 2
Starting with the flashforward reminded me a little of the first episode of Revenge.  Rich people partying on a beach, son winds up mysteriously killed, which I assume they'll spend the season leading up to.

It reminds me a whole lot more of DAMAGES with the crossing timelines and foreboding. And I see it's from the same writers.

• Love 1

It reminds me a whole lot more of DAMAGES with the crossing timelines and foreboding. And I see it's from the same writers.

Yeah, the flash-forward thing was very Damages. I hope they don't go overboard (no pun intended) with that device, which I feel happened with Damages. 

I started on this because someone recommended it, and I like the Keys setting. The Keys have always had a mystique for me (never been there). I love the resort, and I love the atmosphere. The show's pace also seems to fit in - sort of languorous, yet menacing underneath. I keep expecting bad things to happen.

Friday Night Lights is a wonderful show, one of my favorites. But Kyle Chandler seems like he's getting almost typecast - the good guy, the responsible guy, the guy who cares. I saw a lot of Coach Taylor in John, which makes it a less impressive performance so far. Ben Mendleson, on the other hand, is unknown to me, therefore easier for him to slip into character. I thought he was really good, and I couldn't take my eyes off him in any scene where he appeared. It didn't need an explanation IMO for why the family don't want him around. He gives off a distinctly seedy, shady vibe. He pops pills. His best friend is a dubious character. They are obviously about to do something illegal. Yeah, he can turn on a sort of charm, but there's something that makes you feel uneasy about him. Like he's acting. I can see him being a semi-sympathetic bad guy. All of these things make him a more interesting character, IMO, than good-guy Sheriff John Rayburn.

I'm in.

Yeah, the flash-forward thing was very Damages. I hope they don't go overboard (no pun intended) with that device, which I feel happened with Damages. 

I started on this because someone recommended it, and I like the Keys setting. The Keys have always had a mystique for me (never been there). I love the resort, and I love the atmosphere. The show's pace also seems to fit in - sort of languorous, yet menacing underneath. I keep expecting bad things to happen.

Friday Night Lights is a wonderful show, one of my favorites. But Kyle Chandler seems like he's getting almost typecast - the good guy, the responsible guy, the guy who cares. I saw a lot of Coach Taylor in John, which makes it a less impressive performance so far. Ben Mendleson, on the other hand, is unknown to me, therefore easier for him to slip into character. I thought he was really good, and I couldn't take my eyes off him in any scene where he appeared. It didn't need an explanation IMO for why the family don't want him around. He gives off a distinctly seedy, shady vibe. He pops pills. His best friend is a dubious character. They are obviously about to do something illegal. Yeah, he can turn on a sort of charm, but there's something that makes you feel uneasy about him. Like he's acting. I can see him being a semi-sympathetic bad guy. All of these things make him a more interesting character, IMO, than good-guy Sheriff John Rayburn.

I'm in.

However if you have seen Killing them Softly or HBO's "Girls" you will see that Mendleson also plays pretty similar characters to Danny. In both that movie and that show he plays kinda loserish lost middle aged men who aren't very responsible and have drug issues. Very similar to Danny

However if you have seen Killing them Softly or HBO's "Girls" you will see that Mendleson also plays pretty similar characters to Danny. In both that movie and that show he plays kinda loserish lost middle aged men who aren't very responsible and have drug issues. Very similar to Danny

That's where he has the advantage on this show, at least for me. I don't associate him with anything else, which makes the character feel more like a person and less like a character. Kyle Chandler has some very recognizable acting tics, like saying a line and then instantly repeating it, that immediately make me think of the other role I know him for.

If Kyle Chandler says a line and then instantly repeats it, it's because the writers have dictated that he do that. They may think it's effective when he speaks that way, but it's still the writers' choice, not the actor's.

• Love 1

If Kyle Chandler says a line and then instantly repeats it, it's because the writers have dictated that he do that. They may think it's effective when he speaks that way, but it's still the writers' choice, not the actor's.

Really? Actors are given no altitude in saying the lines? This is something so characteristic of Kyle Chandler in FNL that it seems almost like Merly Streep flipping her hair in X number of movies. 

It depends on the writers - some writers give actors more latitude than others - but AIUI it's pretty common for shows to insist that all lines be delivered exactly as written.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this series. My friends have been bugging me for a long time! I turned them on to FNL and they are repaying me by leading me to this series. I will love Kyle for life, but I too felt John was a version of Coach Taylor. Hopefully that will change (even though Coach is my favorite TV character ever). I love Sam and Sissy too, so this is a real treat for me. Love the setting, I feel like it's a character. I need to visit the Keys! Beautiful. I want to watch this Pilot again. I also watched Episode 2 and feel like I missed some things.