Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Spend

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I've been thinking more on that and Aidan's death scene. Over the top compared to anything we've seen before and they lingered on them for so long. Apparently there was a different director on this episode and that surely accounts for some of it but I think now these scenes were more horrific then most in order to really bring home the contrast between "out there" and Alexandria. Two episodes of relative calm and then BLAM! we're jolted out of our stupor. 

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the two deaths were obvious throwbacks to Romero movies. Aiden's death in particular was nearly an exact reenactment of an iconic scene in Day of the Dead. Those scenes may be shocking for TWD but they're nearly cliché in classic zombie movies, which usually have long periods of calm punctuated by over-the-top gory deaths bordering on slapstick (i.e. frail decomposed corpses easily tearing apart human bodies like wet paper bags full of ketchup). I will miss Noah—Aiden not so much—but I found the visual nod pretty cool.

And they had a tight run of episodes there but it feels like the writing is losing focus again. The Alexandria plotline is dragging a bit long, I think. They need to either explain how such an apparently inept and cowardly group has survived for so long or get to the big reveal already. And I don't think they can telegraph any louder that CDB have been out on the road for too long and are now baddies. Pete may well be abusive but Rick and Carol's plot to kill him is clearly driven more by personal motives than by any legit evidence. And FPP is an unstable ungrateful snitch but he isn't wrong about any of them.  All the pawns have been in place for quite awhile now and the writers need to freaking play them already.

And yeah, I'm not invested in Jessie or her storyline at all. Sorry show, I'm not giving a crap just because it's a random semi-cute blonde white woman. But at this point I don't see Richonne happening anytime soon and I think all the butthurt Twitter fans should move on to shipping Eugene's mullet and his new dubstep party bus.

Edited by Chief Queef
  • Love 8

I have a different problem - limits on the max number of quotes in a single post. :)

In my defense, :-) the number of quotes is proof that I do read everybody's posts beforehand!

People really thought Pete was creepy about saying he'd give the kids check ups?  If I was a parent, that's the first thing I'd want.  Vaccinations!  As soon as possible because you don't know how long the good times will last.  Judith needs DPT, measles, polio, rubella, smallpox, etc.  Check their hearing, eyesight, and teeth.

The run - they get to the big warehouse and there are clearly many many walkers there already.  Do they think about going elsewhere?  Apparently not. 

I know I thought it creepy but never because I thought Rick doesn't care about his children as a good parent should.

I thought it was creepy because he didn't give a damn about Sasha's breakdown, Noah's leg, Abraham's wounds etc all mentioned in previous post about this.

Carl and Judith can get a check-up, and the baby's vaccinations can wait a day if she's waited this long.

But there are people with acute problems right now and Pete doesn't give a crap about them.

Oh, ma-a-n.  The re-watch is so sad and ironic, with little Noah all geared up to go into training for architecture. . .and diplomatically pointing out to Reg that "average life expectancy" is no longer a relevant indicator.

I also coughed up a pizza roll when Chevy Chase Munroe said he'd still be around when Noah became an architect. Like an anvil dropping contest.

We saw a church spire last night, but it may not be a Catholic church.

The church with the spire/steeple/whatever is outside the walls of Alexandria. So it really doesn't draw anyone now. Anyone alive.

Hell yes, and every other time in tv land this would've happened but tptb aren't going there. So instead we have a forced, contrived storyline involving a more "suitable" female for Rick. Meh.

Every other time? So you never watched Jericho (Heather and Fugmily)  Or how many bazillion other tv shows/ and movies where it is a classic script device to have the male protagonist go for the cute cheerleader/young secretary/other variety pretty girl instead of The One Who Secretly Pines For Him So The Audience Will Yell "What About You-Know-Who"?

I think John Hughes made most of his fortune on that trope in the 80's.

Shakespeare would have made a fortune if playwrights made a decent wage back then.

They've even managed to flip it very frequently and have the good guy whom the girl should love be left at home while she dates beefcake (see the first few seasons of Big Bang Theory.).

That "contrived storyline" built a lot of mansions in Bel Air, it always works like Pavlov ringing a bell.

Rick may have wanted her dead, but Daryl killed her.

You beat me to it lol Thank you for clearing that up though. :-D

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 9

I'd like to float the theory that Jesse is the abuser in the relationship. Her son broke her owl sculpture, Pete may be drinking to cope, Jesse doesn't show any physical signs of abuse while Pete wears long sleeved shirts and Jesse didn't freak out about that kiss. In fact, Jesse went to Rick's and volunteered to give him a haircut. If she were worried about her husband's reaction, I think she would have hurried home. So, I think Pete and Jesse have an abusive relationship but Jesse is the abuser.

• Love 10

Chekov's crappy mix-tape.

The way Tobin was acting was making me think, for a moment, that his giving up his spot meant he was now useless and the ASZhats might put him outside the walls. There was something odd going on there, in the delivery of some of the lines.

• Love 5

As a politician I wonder how many times someone's barged through Deanna's door saying they need to talk about Satan....

Probably depends on which political party she belonged to.  Just kidding, of course.  No political discussion to be seen here.

I actually thought that Sam was using the cookies as an excuse to work his way up to asking Carol for the gun.

Yes, but I don't think he would have had the courage to approach her, if he really believed she was willing to tie him to a tree and leave him for the walkers.  We know he's good at being sneaky.  He's quiet and he can follow his target without being tracked.   He knows where the guns are kept, and he doesn't need Carol to point them out.  He's drawn to Carol because he trusts her for some reason.  Whether he senses she's still a nurturer deep inside, or he's drawn to her ruthlessness because he thinks she could protect him, I don't know.  And as much as I think Carol would want to protect Jessie, I don't doubt it's her suspicions about Sam that really draw her in.

So the big secret about the ASZ is that it's standing policy to leave people to die if it gets too inconvenient or takes any real effort at all to save them.  I wondered if Aaron happened to mention that to Daryl before he rode out on his cliche cycle.  We know the ASZhats didn't bother telling Glenn and crew before they rolled.  This policy makes all their bitching about pasta makers and little inconveniences all the more insufferable.  People are being left to die that don't have to be so they can have those things.

In the failed Saving Buttons mission, Aaron and Daryl had each other's backs.  Aaron seems to have more ZA experience, and is a confident fighter.  I think Aaron was feeling out Daryl's capabilities, and Daryl learned what he needed to know about Aaron when he watched him risk his life to save a horse.  If Aaron is willing to potentially sacrifice his life for an animal, I think Daryl will be ok.

• Love 4

OK, the show's just fucking with us now, right?  They combat the criticism of One Black Man at a Time, by ..... continuing to do it.  I don't get it.  I know they damaged TV Tyreese by giving a lot his characteristics to Daryl, but Noah was a promising character.  So we're stuck with FPP?

Knowing a child is involved, Carol cannot be impartial.  With Rick's interest in Jessie, I don't think he's the proper decision maker either.  They need a committee - bring in Glenn and Michonne, and along with Carol/Rick/Daryl, make a decision as a group.

Lastly, if the hubby has to die, I vote for Daryl as executioner.  He had no problem torturing Randall.  Tell him this man is beating his wife and little boy - done.

The problem with bringing in Glenn and Michonne it that they might not be impartial either. They have both wanted so long to settle down, and Steven Yeun even said last night on TTD that starting a family with Maggie was one of the reasons. It was something they couldn't do outside. Michonne is the one who was the organizer of getting people to side with her on going to ASZ when Rick didn't want to.  Could they make a strictly impartial objective opinion, without even thinking of the way this could damage their chances of a future in a walled community?

Agree with have Daryl deliver the beating though !

1) I hate this poor vulnerable Jessie storyline. Surely, Rick, there is an unattached attractive woman in ASZ, or Sasha, Michonne, Carol, etc. Jessie has definitely put herself out there for Rick, and he's picked up on the vibes. I'd love for Rick to have a love interest, but this simpering Jessie is almost as bad as bitchy, unfaithful, whining Lori. Can we not find a badass for Rick instead of a manipulative damsel in distress

9) Morgan is the Boba Fett of TWD. On screen for a minute, now he's Chuck Norris.

I don't know what Jessie did that was manipulative. Not as much as Rick; I thought he was the one who put himself out there.

Also, I keep seeing these comments that Rick needs a warrior to go to bed with, or a "badass". He does have warriors and badasses, for severa purposels, but I don't know if that's the first thing a man wants for making love. Since I'm a woman, do any of the GUYS out there want to inform us if this is true?

Applause for Boba Fett reference.

And they had a tight run of episodes there but I feel like the writing is losing focus again. The Alexandria plotline is dragging a bit long, I think.

All the pawns have been in place for quite awhile now and the writers need to freaking play them already.

If you think the Alexandria plotline is dragging on a bit long, you didn't see the last 4 episodes of the front 8 for Season 5.

The writers may need to play their pawns in the viewers opinion, but this isn't how it works unfortunately. The show must end each 8 episode bundle with a cliff-hanging extravaganza. The writers decide first how much of the overall saga they want to include, then figure out what they want to save for the finale (or MSF), then space the story arcs leading up to the finale over the 7 episodes that we see first.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 5

It may have seemed endless to you. It was, in fact, 3. Out of, at quick count, about 30. Which just goes to show how it's bothering some people to a huge degree.

His scene with her, his scene with Pete, Carol's scenes with Sam, Carol's scene with Rick.

Some of these felt endless to me (especially the one with Pete) because they were so forced and lacking in any sense of pacing.

It may not have been a dozen scenes, but it only takes one bad scene to stop an episode dead.

• Love 1

In the failed Saving Buttons mission, Aaron and Daryl had each other's backs.  Aaron seems to have more ZA experience, and is a confident fighter.  I think Aaron was feeling out Daryl's capabilities, and Daryl learned what he needed to know about Aaron when he watched him risk his life to save a horse.  If Aaron is willing to potentially sacrifice his life for an animal, I think Daryl will be ok

I think it's possible that at least a  few of the ASZers haven't been down with the "system" since it means any of them could be sacrificed for the "good" of the whole with little or no warning.  I'm sure Francine thought the system sucked, the way she went after Tobin.  And the guy who went to help Abraham even though Tobin tried to keep him back.   Aaron is not someone who's willing to let others die like that.  He helped Glenn that night in the corn field, whatever that was when they were fighting their way back to the rest of the group. Plus he's out on the road doing the scouting not kicking back in town having a beer with Pete or whoever.  He knows what it means to have someone who will try and be there for you.

• Love 7

Francine takes a hard fall and then throws a wicked right. Awesome character intro.

Hideous mix tape - play that for Gabriel; then he'll know what evil is. 

Good gravy, Carol is quick to hit the 'must die' button on someone. In this episode it was Pete, but you never know...these seemingly doomed children who are drawn to Carol must be warned. 

• Love 7

Also, I keep seeing these comments that Rick needs a warrior to go to bed with, or a "badass". He does have warriors and badasses, for severa purposels, but I don't know if that's the first thing a man wants for making love. Since I'm a woman, do any of the GUYS out there want to inform us if this is true?

The problem is this story isn't about who Rick wants to go to bed with. It's about him being so caught up in this woman that he's tempted to risk everything just to "save" her. And this isn't exactly film noir where there's a ton of buildup. She's just...there. 

When a woman is that high in importance, then viewers are more likely to wonder exactly why they're supposed to see this as a worthwhile relationship or see her as compelling enough to warrant such a huge risk to his life and to his children.

• Love 6

I'd like to float the theory that Jesse is the abuser in the relationship. Her son broke her owl sculpture, Pete may be drinking to cope, Jesse doesn't show any physical signs of abuse while Pete wears long sleeved shirts and Jesse didn't freak out about that kiss. In fact, Jesse went to Rick's and volunteered to give him a haircut. If she were worried about her husband's reaction, I think she would have hurried home. So, I think Pete and Jesse have an abusive relationship but Jesse is the abuser.

Whoa, interesting. But who do you think Sam was shopping the gun for?

• Love 1

The way Tobin was acting was making me think, for a moment, that his giving up his spot meant he was now useless and the ASZhats might put him outside the walls. There was something odd going on there, in the delivery of some of the lines.

I thought the same thing. When Deanna said, "We hate to lose you", I thought quitting the position meant he was out.

• Love 3

Anyone else have the feeling of dred that Maggie, in the grand tradition of CDB, will keep FPP information to herself for everyone's own good?  Ugh.

Interesting thought.  I guess it depends on how much she heard and how she thinks Deanna will react to it.   And it also depends on how he's been interacting with the rest of the group, of which we've seen practically nothing since they left the church.  Maybe they already know he's losing it and can't be trusted.

Once Glenn and Eugene get back with the news about Aiden I don't think what Father Gabriel told Deanna's going to matter too much anyway.

What would be tough with that scenario is that:

• No matter how many times it is called her sculpture, she never said that, it was something she was doing with her kids. So if she was the abuser, getting revenge by breaking something Sam worked on himself ( and his brother worked on as well) doesn't really make sense to me.

• I am confused about the wording of the sentence about her not freaking about this kiss, going to Rick's to give him a haircut and she would have hurried home if she was worried about Pete's reaction?

The haircut came first.

I don't know how she would have any opinion about a reaction her husband would have since she is the one who told him (Pete on the porch my wife cut your hair today). the party came on a day after.

I doubt she'd hurry home after the kiss since she came with her husband and the two boys and they would go home together.

What did you mean?

The run - they get to the big warehouse and there are clearly many many walkers there already.  Do they think about going elsewhere?  Apparently not.

Possibly because they only wanted the micro-inverters for solar power panels. Might not be that many places that have those.

• Love 2

If you think the Alexandria plotline is dragging on a bit long, you didn't see the last 4 episodes of the front 8 for Season 5.

The writers may need to play their pawns in the viewers opinion, but this isn't how it works unfortunately. The show must end each 8 episode bundle with a cliff-hanging extravaganza. The writers decide first how much of the overall saga they want to include, then figure out what they want to save for the finale (or MSF), then space the story arcs leading up to the finale over the 7 episodes that we see first.

I've seen them all, and the tedious dragging out of plotlines leading up to the finale has been a consistent problem with the show's pacing. It's similar to the "give a minor character screentime and development immediately before killing him/her" pattern they've established. Sure we all know that's 'how it works', but it's formulaic as hell and that's deadly for a narrative that runs on suspense and adrenaline.

And the main issue I have with Jessie isn't that she's not "badass" enough, but that we haven't been given enough reason to care about her or time to become invested in her and Rick as a couple. From her first appearance it felt like they just threw her in as a generic love interest and started lining up plot points to bring them together. It also seems odd he's taking such a huge risk to chase tail now when there are other attractive single women who've been around all along, have more of an emotional bond with him and are WAY less of a liability to his family's security. "Recklessly thirsty to get laid" has never been part of Rick's characterization before, and I'm really hoping this is leading up to some super cool plot twist because it feels way OOC for him otherwise.

Edited by Chief Queef
  • Love 7

Some of these felt endless to me (especially the one with Pete) because they were so forced and lacking in any sense of pacing.

It may not have been a dozen scenes, but it only takes one bad scene to stop an episode dead.

I didn't feel like anything was so forced or stopped the episode dead, i thought this episode sped along with so many interweaving storylines crossing and building that it was very full and fast-paced. I know though that what some like as fast and busy is boring and slow to others; I hope the finale is worth 90 minutes.

I thought the same thing. When Deanna said, "We hate to lose you", I thought quitting the position meant he was out.

I got a Shirley Jackson "The Lottery" vibe, that maybe the real reason that everyone is such a pod is that they can't think about how precarious their inclusion is.

I definitely think that may be a reason that Deanna had the camcorder there, and facing Tobin and herself---perhaps as proof that he admitted his failure and now the community must vote or something.

Maybe the food is limited as it would have to be, so they can only have a population of X number of people, everytime somebody goes more can come in.

If too many come in, some "pink slips" have to be *ahem* issued. Aaron could be sent out if the people there are too weak for current needs, either self-defense to a looming threat, or the way it took 6 months just to build the first section of wall.

It's TWD's version of March Madness!! Have you filled out your bracket yet?!

I didn't feel like anything was so forced or stopped the episode dead, i thought this episode sped along with so many interweaving storylines crossing and building that it was very full and fast-paced. I know though that what some like as fast and busy is boring and slow to others; I hope the finale is worth 90 minutes.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

I just thought the juxtaposition was jarring, and I can handwave most of it, because of the idea of a fast-paced run and slow suburban boiling points, but I just can't handwave that awful scene with Pete and Rick. I really think it was one of the worst scenes I can remember on TWD. Instead of being caught up in tension, I genuinely felt like they were on the verge of having Pete asking Rick to have sex with Jessie while he watches. It had that awful, awkward, no-budget porn vibe to it. 

I have no idea what this story is supposed to be, and I just can't seem to stop going on about it, as much as I did genuinely enjoy the rest of the episode (other than that Gabriel shit at the end which came out of nowhere).

• Love 3

My take on Deanna is that she has a vision of what Alexandria could become, and a vision is different from a plan. In her vision, she will gather all of the requisite types into her burgeoning little civilization, and she will guide them with wisdom and inner strength and her unerring ability to read people's characters. She's got it all mapped out in her head. Back in Remember, when she was extolling her vision to Rick, Michonne, and Maggie - there would be commerce! - Rick looked up at the ceiling (sort of a full-body rolling of the eyes), and Deanna stopped dead and barked out, "What?!" She took it as a challenge to her vision, and she was not happy. That, for me, was one of the more interesting tells of Deanna's character. And now the capabilities of the CBD are outpacing her vision of how this was all going to play out, and it's like she's running to catch up with the reality of the situation. I don't think that she's delusional, and I think that she truly is smart, but I think this is the first real challenge to her vision (and hence to herself personally), and how she reacts to this rapidly rolling ball of consequences is going to be the key to how the rest of the season plays out.

That's a good way to put it,that she has a vision but not necessarily a plan.  i do think she's had a plan and it's one that matches her vision but the problem is she doesn't have the raw material to make the plan turn into the vision.  She doesn't have the right kind of people, for example, or not enough of them.  I've thought that since we learned that it's the teenage kid Aiden leading supply runs.  Surely they could have done better than that, Francine for example.  She seems like someone you'd want out on the road and going into stores and other places trying to find stuff.  But then maybe they need Francine on the construction crew.

I think it's also possible that the problem with her vision is that no one else shares it, or not enough people.  That's a problem I think a lot of visionaries run into, getting other people to buy in with more than just yeah, yeah, whatever you say.  From what we've seen of the ASZers they seem happy to be safe behind the walls and getting together for cocktails but it's not clear to me that they've signed on for some kind of master plan to rebuild civilization.  Tobin was certainly ready to quit and "start fresh" after what happened at the construction site, for example.  Like no real sense of urgency.   

• Love 3

Whoa, interesting. But who do you think Sam was shopping the gun for?

Maybe for his dad, if the mom is the abuser? That would be an interesting twist. I presumed he wanted the gun for his mom.

I don't know what Jessie did that was manipulative. Not as much as Rick; I thought he was the one who put himself out there.

Applause for Boba Fett reference.

You're welcome for the Boba Fett reference. Jessie isn't manipulative so far, but Lori was Lady MacBeth manipulative. Jessie is just inserting herself under Rick's nose every three seconds, and he's doing Vice Versa. Rick doesn't have to have She-ra the warrior princess, but just not a weakling. Carol and Beth weren't insane with a katanta roughnecks, but they are/were both pretty useful and could defend themselves. Jessie simpers and cuts hair. She's annoying.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 2

Francine was great! 

I didn't even think about Tobin's resignation meaning that he would be out of the community. So much for it being a safe place, if that's the case. I am curious as to their rules, what he was talking about when Francine punched him. I wonder how many people they've lost, since most of them seem to be of the pee-pants variety.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Wow, that certainly didn't occur to me.  I thought it just meant he wouldn't be crew chief anymore.  It seems like he would have fought harder to keep that job if the alternative is he gets put outside the walls.  Talk about negative motivation.  

• Love 1

I was all set to post during the Talking Dead commercials but realized I had no words.  I was that gutted by the episode.  Damn, it was a tough one to watch. 

Noah's death was awful.  I know Nicholas was going to bolt and fail to do his part in the rescue, but it was still horrible to watch Noah get dragged off and ripped apart while Glenn watched.  Steven Yeun was amazing; I felt Glenn's pain and helplessness and despair.  I was so relieved to see he survived to kick Nicholas's ass and then bundle the jerk into the back of the van with Eugene watching, like he was just waiting for an opening to shoot.  Kudos to Eugene for pulling on his big boy pants.  I liked that he spoke for Tara and sent the team back out to rescue Aiden because that's what Glenn and Tara do.  Eugene met Tara when she was standing over Glenn, fighting to keep him safe, and he met the pair again when Glenn didn't leave Tara trapped in rubble.  Those two are the opposites of Aiden and Nicholas; they don't panic and they don't run when someone needs their help.  I really liked that Eugene picked his moment before chancing an exit with Tara.  The Walkers were drawn by the rescuers and there was a possibility his path would be clear.  It wasn't, but Eugene handled it just fine.  His Pied Piper routine was awesome too and a perfect moment for Eugene, who likes to have a vehicle between himself and the Walkers.  The container trucks reminded me of the 1980s version of Dawn of the Dead (I think that's the title) when one of the trapped characters got chomped on the leg while climbing from one truck to another.  I wonder if that set design was a deliberate callback, or have I been watching zombie movies for too long? 

Father Gabriel's betrayal was another blow.  He went and saw for himself how the Termites treated Bob before the man's death.  He found the partially-eaten leg and gagged on the truth.  He went back to his church where two people did what he could not: put themselves (and the helpless infant) in danger to save his life.  Carl and Michonne risked their own safety to bring him back inside, and he's not mentioning that?  The group found him trapped on a rock and came to his aid, and he doesn't mention that?  Beth was murdered and Tyreese was killed while Father Gabriel was with the group.  No-one destroyed Grady in retaliation for Beth, so how can he say Camp Dinner Bell are a threat to Deanna's paradise.  And why does he think he's deserving of that paradise?  I hope Maggie rips him several new ones.  Alexandria is far from a paradise too.  The inhabitants haven't completely adapted to life in a Zombie Apocalypse.  No-one should take a potty break without someone keeping watch nearby.  People are dying due to inexperience in the field.  Aiden's panic when confronted with the armoured zombie was wonderfully contrasted with Maggie's cleverness and balls of steel.  She ran in closer to make the kill; Aiden kept backing away and shooting uselessly.  Abraham was fun to watch though, going through Walkers like he had nothing to lose and all day to do it.   

I'm not really thrilled by the predictability of Pete being an abusive husband and Jessie needing to be rescued.  I have my doubts about Deanna's leadership but I'd like to think she'd be all over that to keep Pete sober and useful, and Jessie safe.  I'm surprised she's okay with him being drunk when her own son went out on runs and might have been in need of treatment.  I was irritated by her sudden doubts about Camp Dinner Bell.  She brought Maggie into her executive office, and gave security jobs to Rick and Michonne before they'd finished processing that they were safe behind Alexandria's walls.  She couldn't wait to have them on board; now she's getting twitchy because Abraham refused to let Francine die and kept the crew working?  I did like that Tobin stepped up and admitted he was out of his depth; I don't think he'll be exiled though.  I don't think he would have been honest if that was the outcome. 

• Love 7

>>By the way, why was this episode called "Spend?"

I could probably think of atleast two dozen one-verb titles that would be more appropriate.

Maybe it's referring to the ASZhat's philosophy of "spending" their companions when necessary to save their own worthless hides - ? I'd like to know, too.

Some observant person on tumblr figured out that the last five episodes are titled after verbs taken from something Dale said in the Season 1 episode, Vatos:

"I like what the father said to the son when he gave him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said: ‘I give you a mausoleum of all hope and desire which will fit your individual needs, no better than it did mine and my father before me. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it. For a moment, now and then, and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.’”

Next weeks episode is entitled "Try" and the season finale is "Conquer". What the quote means in the context of the episodes we've seen thus far, I have no idea.

• Love 4

Well, look what happens when the B team (except for Glenn) all goes on a run together. Where was Rosita? Or Rick? Now that he's the constable all he does is check on knocked over sculptures? Seems like a waste of talent. Deanna said that she's giving the newbies power positions but it looks like she's just giving their best fighters (Rick, Michonne, Maggie) a bunch of busywork.

Edited to add: I hope Rick puts the kibosh on killing Pete. He's the only doctor they've met so far and given Tara's current state, they are going to need him. Even if he is abusing people (and they should have more proof than crazy Carol's hunches) killing him seems a little extreme.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 6

I agree! Wasn't forced for me and I thought the episode flew by. I look forward to the Rick scenes with Jessie, and now really like that Carol is added to the mix with her past. That adds layers. Love me some layers.

In fact, the Alexandria plotlines have renewed my interest in the show, which had been lagging of late...and I've been rewatching the episodes for the first time in forever. It's hard for me to believe that they've only been in Alexandria for three episodes now. 

Hell, I haven't even had time to decide which of the Alexandriaites I dislike since they have't been there that long. Maybe I'll randomly choose Eric since he serves no purpose other than getting in the way of my Aaron/Daryl shipping. =)

In full disclosure, I was predisposed to love Aaron, since I've been a Ross Marquand fan for several years now. 

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 4

If Rick and Carol decide to kill Pete, I will be so disgusted--in Rick.  First of all, they have no evidence that Pete is an abuser; I think Carol is projecting her own experience on him.  Even if he is an abuser, he doesn't warrant killing.  He should be brought to "justice" by Constable Rick, and taken in front of Deanna for them to determine his punishment.  I wouldn't be surprised if Carol killed him because, well, that's how she rolls--she suggested killing like it was no big deal whatsoever--but if Rick aids and abets her so he can get his paws on Jessie, then I'm done with him.  Father PP would be right--at least about Rick and Carol.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

The poster that mentioned Romero's Day of the Dead, nice catch!

Both Aiden and Noah' s deaths reminded me of carnage from that film.

There was also a homage to the film last season as well.

A direct reenactment of a notable gross out scene.

I SEE YOU Greg Nicotero!

He worked the efx in DOTD, under Tom Savini.

And Director Ernest Dickerson was a DP.

• Love 2

So if she was the abuser, getting revenge by breaking something Sam worked on himself ( and his brother worked on as well) doesn't really make sense to me.

Sam admits to Carol that he broke the sculpture, that he breaks things when he gets sad.  That was the point that I wondered if maybe Jessie was the abuser.

I think Rustbeltwriter may have been saying that if Jessie was afraid of Pete, why hang around and cut Rick's hair, she probably would have just dropped off the basket and gone home.  She didn't seem worried about consequences after Rick pecked her on the cheek.

I think these are a couple of plausible clues that could mean the Jessie abuses the kids, which would be an interesting twist.  I don't think the show will go that way though.

It also seems odd he's taking such a huge risk to chase tail now when there are other attractive single women who've been around all along,

I don't think he's chasing tail; she stopped by his house with supplies, gave him a haircut, he saw her at a party (I think she approached him), he gives her a thank you kiss, he runs into her when he's making his rounds - her garage is open with broken stuff around.  Next he's hanging out at home, either alone or with Judith.  He hasn't sought her out.

I think some of the group (Rick and Carol especially) have really lost the ability to exist in civilization.  They can put on the show, they can even legitimately try and fit in, but they've been through too much to go along.  In a way, they are more outcast than Daryl, even though they're inside.

That's just my take on where the show might be going with this.

Different subject, the Alexandrians don't have a lot of experience with groups of zombies, have gone on runs, etc and now they're everywhere - I wonder why?  Are they being led there somehow?

Edited by raven
  • Love 5

I think some of the group (Rick and Carol especially) have really lost the ability to exist in civilization.  They can put on the show, they can even legitimately try and fit in, but they've been through too much to go along.  In a way, they are more outcast than Daryl, even though they're inside.

That's just my take on where the show might be going with this.

I think that may be because they don't see ASZ as civilization. It's just a sort of safe haven with some security problems and people living there that they don't know who may or may not be trustworthy.   I think they wouldn't be truly satisfied unless/until they are the ones in control.  

• Love 6

I wonder about Aaron's role.

Last episode in a conversation with Daryl (I think) he said something along the lines of "I told Deanna not to give you a job..."

It's possible he has more authority in Alexandria than we've been shown.

I caught that, too. It may be nothing, but that word "told" instead of "asked" really jumped out. Aaron claims he still feels like, and is treated as, an outsider. But he is in a position, granted a risky one, but also a powerful and important one, to go out and bring in new people. Deanna trusts him to be a good judge of bringing new people to their home, which is no small thing considering she's admitted to having problems with some of them.

Anyway, the beginning of the episode with Daryl on his fully assembled bike told me that a bit of time has passed. I don't know how long it takes to put a bike together when you have all the parts you need, let alone when you've got to scavenge. It has to at least have been a week or two? I found it interesting that they were already going to recruit new people, seeing as another group of CDB's size would basically even out the number of new people vs. ASZhats. I would think the ASZhats would want to take the full 30 days to make sure they don't want to get their money back. Also, why didn't Aaron take the camper? How would they bring people back with only his car and Daryl's loud-ass bike?

The Carol MacBeth thing is ringing a bit false for me. Whispering in other peoples' ears is a backslide for Carol. She hasn't been like that since season 2. The Carol she's grown into would have consulted with Rick but would have chosen to kill Pete herself, imo, or at the least said "we have to kill him, Rick," not "YOU have to kill him."

I agree. I like that she expressed her concerns to Rick, but I hate the way she did it like it was set in stone fact and that inevitably HE would end up being the one. It was her tone, but it almost felt a bit like Carol was trying to manipulate Rick, but I don't know why she would do that.  At least Rick asked for evidence, if Sam had told her what was going on.

I did notice Rick did his little teeth clench thing he does when he's trying to rein in the beast. I think he was saddened and pissed to hear this news from Carol, especially since he's obviously been rubbed the wrong way by Pete since he met him. I think in that moment, based on instinct, Rick kind of does want to kill him, but I think he's still plenty sane enough to understand he can't do that here. And this will be even trickier when an injured Tara returns and Pete is presumably the only one who can help. I hope Rick doesn't kill Pete, though. I literally want it to be anyone other than him. I really hate this entire set up but I'm trying to just see it through. I'm just...tired of this already. I have no interest in an abuse storyline so I hope that is misdirection but I doubt it.

One of the first things we see Jessie say, right after Rick presented himself as a man she doesn't know (aka - someone who could potentially hurt her), is "I can take care of myself". As in 'I can handle myself against an attacker'. She sounded confident. Maybe despite any potential abuse that may or may not be happening, she gets along okay. I'm trying to be interested.

4.  I know I was the only one but I was sad when Deanna's son died.  Sad for him because he was a young guy and he seemed to be coming around to the idea that CDB could teach him something.  He died trying and I never fault anybody for that.  I was also sad for Deanna because the Alexandria people are only now going to start experiencing the apocalypse as everybody else has.  Her first loss is her son.  That's no small thing.

10. Alone again, this show feels weird to me, not at all the same show.  They need to stop killing people so much because they will lose viewers if there is NOTHING interesting or pleasant about the show.  I know it is brutal and the subject matter is what it is but I tuned in to see people SURVIVE.

I agree. I thought showing that Aiden was adaptable and willing to listen to Glenn's suggestions, as well as, give props to Noah for a good shot was a nice human thing to do for the character. He was a douche but he let himself be open minded. Too bad he was still too scared to realize that the likelihood of getting bitten by a walker with it's face and mouth completely covered was low enough that he could spare the bullets and noise and just stab it.

I also agree about too many deaths. I understand why they kill characters off, but I feel like they rely on it too much for 'shocking moments' without realizing that if you do it too much and often, especially if we don't get time to bond with the characters, then people will be desensitized and it won't be as effective. Honestly I thought it was going to be Eugene, because he was talking for what felt like the first time since confessing at the firetruck. I'm so glad it wasn't him.

I don't get the hysterics over Rick and Jessie. They have barely had a few minutes of airtime in the last two episodes yet some people are commenting as if they are having some grand romance taking up tons of airtime. I hope that Rick gets to at least have sex with her so all the complaining going on can finally match what is happening on the show.

I don't get the skepticism from some people that Jessie is being abused. Everything from last night points to this. Pete refusing to let Carol see Jessie or Sam is a typical abuser tactic.

The way you see how everything from last night's one episode points to Jessie being abused, is similar to how others feel that everything they've seen between Rick and Jessie over the past three episodes points to them being set up for a romance or feeling an attraction either mutual or one sided. It's all in how one interprets what is seen. I think people on all sides just feel really strongly, and I for one am glad that everyone is so passionate about the show. 

And I am constantly wondering where the grief is for those who were lost on that supply run. Our guys have seen so much death, I can understand being numb to it all, compartmentalizing, or getting over it quickly, but is Alexandria so numbed by loss that no one grieves the loss of 4 members? If so, ASZ is even more suspicious with their happy little façade.

This is what bothered me the most about the cocktail party and the complaining about teas and book clubs. They have had losses, recent ones, at that. And yet everyone is acting like they've never been through anything. At least some of them must have seen some horrors during the early days like the original CDB did. Even if you've only seen one person turn , or one person eaten, that has to stick with you. Even if you were lucky and hadn't seen anything like that, they live in their little cage, surrounded by walls. No shopping trips or phones, no vacations or trips to Grandma's. While its not like what CDB has been through, it still has to be really weird. Even the lack of those non-essential things has to be a constant reminder that the world isn't right. Let alone when only 30% of the guys return from the latest run because the other were torn to bits and/or eaten.

I liked the idea of Noah. I think there was potential there. I really liked the brief Glenn/Noah scenes. Glenn has Maggie and he has a bond with Tara, but he's never really had a male his own age to hang with.

I liked their scene when they were joking about target practice on Aiden. It was cute, and reminded me of how young Glenn really is. I know Maggie was only 22 at the farm and I imagine Glenn might be around the same age, so 23 or 24 at this point. His face when he was watching Noah die was gut wrenching. He looked like a child in that scene, and he played the terror really well. ugh.

Mmm hmmm, sounds just like a politician. Good call.

I can't tell if Maggie is desperately trying to grab some "normal", or if she's quietly watching and waiting like a less psycho version of Carol. She's been really subdued and off the last couple of episodes...the little we've seen of her, anyway.

I'm curious about what is going on with Maggie. I agree that she has been very subdued. I thought maybe she was just weary and really determined to make sure that everyone from CDB was accepted; or almost like she is keeping the peace so they could stay. 'Sasha's a great shot' = we're useful. 'Of course we can see commerce and industry here'= we can see the big picture/be compliant, etc. However, during her scene with Deanna about Abraham, it almost seemed like instead of drinking the ASZ kool aid, that the reverse might be true.

When Deanna expressed concern about CDB people getting more power, Maggie very calmly explained to her in a 'you will trust me and believe what I say because of my calm and soothing tone' why it's nothing to be concerned about and that CDB are the best people for the job, that's why you brought us here. Deanna's worried about Rick and Abe and Michonne, when in truth she gave Maggie a very powerful position working right next to her.

A few final thoughts:

-I wonder if Maggie conftronts Gabriel before telling the others about what he said.

-Now that Spencer has lost his brother, too, it may give Sasha and him common ground to start from. He was the only one who saw sense to man the clocktower so they also have that in common.

• Love 4

Wow, that certainly didn't occur to me.  I thought it just meant he wouldn't be crew chief anymore.  It seems like he would have fought harder to keep that job if the alternative is he gets put outside the walls.  Talk about negative motivation.  

I meant I thought that for a moment, then I realized they were being too nonchalant about it.

• Love 3

I think they wouldn't be truly satisfied unless/until they are the ones in control.

This might be the key.  I've always thought Rick would give up leadership if he felt whoever was leading was capable; so that may be coming into play.

As far as the civilization part, well, calling to kill someone because of a suspicion is pretty uncivilized, never mind that he's the only doctor.  What about separating the man from the family and trying to rehabilitate him somehow?  Take away his booze, he's probably somewhat reasonable then.  if the alternative is to be kileed or turned out on his own, I bet he would make some effort to change.  It would give them something to do other than drink and dream about pasta makers.  What do the other Alexandrians think - they've lived with Jessie, Pete & co for a while.  Or maybe they don't care, they do abandon their own.

I thought showing that Aiden was adaptable and willing to listen to Glenn's suggestions, as well as, give props to Noah for a good shot was a nice human thing to do for the character.

Good point, it made him more human than just the original d-bag persona.  

Edited by raven
  • Love 2

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the two deaths were obvious throwbacks to Romero movies. Aiden's death in particular was nearly an exact reenactment of an iconic scene in Day of the Dead.

Yes! The actor even had a Joe Pilato look to him in that scene. Also the zombie hands hitting against the glass doors while the characters were sitting inside reminded me so much of Romero's shopping mall zombies in Dawn- even the tapping/scratching noises on the glass were the same. I love it when they reference those films. (Edited to add: the tearing of Noah's face reminded me of Rickles- is that the other reference you saw?) Edited by Dr.Jacoby

I think that may be because they don't see ASZ as civilization. It's just a sort of safe haven with some security problems and people living there that they don't know who may or may not be trustworthy.   I think they wouldn't be truly satisfied unless/until they are the ones in control.

I think this is exactly right. And I suspect that they will make their play to take over Alexandria in the finale.

• Love 1

I like Jessie.  She seems like a nice woman and the actor has the sheltered soccer mom vibe down.  The problem is the character is stuck in the Rick Grimes zone.  Michonne can tell you how dangerous that is for a woman; it almost sucked the life out of her.  Jessie doesn't have Michonne's history or personality.  Her sole purpose is to provide someone for Rick to fuck and then forget, when she's chomped to death.

I will really miss Noah.  I thought Tyler did a lot with the infintesimal amount of material he had to work with.  His death was horrific and I really don't know what the point of that was.  We'd already had a nice and juicy death for all those zombie fans.  Why did we need two?  We all knew Noah was going to die the second he appeared on screen, so why did it have to be this way? 

So instead of having a nervous breakdown because a horrible woman had threatened to feed him to walkers, Sam was glad because he'd finally found a monster bigger than the one he calls 'Daddy'?  Carol could have said, 'I think Pete is abusing his family.  Could you check it out?'  But she didn't.  She said kill him.  In my opinion, Carol has stopped being a human being and has become a cartoon character.  Give her a cigarette holder and a puppy-fur coat and she's a much less stylish (and less fun) Cruella de Ville.

Last night was the first time I could remotely stand Eugene or Tara.  It helped that Tara was out cold for most of the episode but I did feel a glimmer of something for Eugene.

Steven Yeun has been killing it this whole second half of season 5 and last night was no exception.  Glenn has grown by leaps and bounds and it's so nice to see after 5a.

Deanna might be sheltered but she's not an idiot.  She probably has a good idea what Rick and the group had to do to survive on the road. And Father G. is obviously very unbalanced.  Hopefully, Seth G. is still going out on auditions because no Black actor, no matter how brilliant, should think he has job security on TWD.  Emily Kinney, she lasted four seasons, but a Black man better not get too comfy in his trailer.

• Love 6

Yes! The actor even had a Joe Pilato look to him in that scene. Also the zombie hands hitting against the glass doors while the characters were sitting inside reminded me so much of Romero's shopping mall zombies in Dawn- even the tapping/scratching noises on the glass were the same. I love it when they reference those films. (Edited to add: the tearing of Noah's face reminded me of Rickles- is that the other reference you saw?)

Is your name from Twin Peaks? Pete says hi...

• Love 1

That's a good way to put it,that she has a vision but not necessarily a plan.  i do think she's had a plan and it's one that matches her vision but the problem is she doesn't have the raw material to make the plan turn into the vision.  She doesn't have the right kind of people, for example, or not enough of them.  I've thought that since we learned that it's the teenage kid Aiden leading supply runs.  Surely they could have done better than that, Francine for example.  She seems like someone you'd want out on the road and going into stores and other places trying to find stuff.  But then maybe they need Francine on the construction crew.

I think it's also possible that the problem with her vision is that no one else shares it, or not enough people.  That's a problem I think a lot of visionaries run into, getting other people to buy in with more than just yeah, yeah, whatever you say.  From what we've seen of the ASZers they seem happy to be safe behind the walls and getting together for cocktails but it's not clear to me that they've signed on for some kind of master plan to rebuild civilization.  Tobin was certainly ready to quit and "start fresh" after what happened at the construction site, for example.  Like no real sense of urgency.   

Excellent points.  Most of the ASZers do seem complacent. I don't see that "fire in the belly" that Deanna has in any of the others, with the possible exception of Aaron. He was genuinely excited to have found CDB; maybe it has more to do with his and Eric's own chances of survival than with Deanna's grand plan, but at least he showed some genuine self-interest. I think that Abraham has sparked the construction group into action, and he certainly has himself a fan in Francine.  It's what Deanna wants in theory; she sure seems conflicted in the reality of it.

• Love 3

I caught that, too. It may be nothing, but that word "told" instead of "asked" really jumped out. Aaron claims he still feels like, and is treated as, an outsider. But he is in a position, granted a risky one, but also a powerful and important one, to go out and bring in new people. Deanna trusts him to be a good judge of bringing new people to their home, which is no small thing considering she's admitted to having problems with some of them.

I tend to assume that she lets Aaron do what he wants, because he's very assertive, and he's a decent person, and I imagine most of the people in Alexandria wouldn't be interested in tracking or recruiting - it's hard work, without the guarantee of cool walker kills that would have attracted Aiden.

I don't get the sense that he's particularly important to anyone in town, or that he has much of a relationship with Deanna. I wouldn't be surprised if deep down she's hoping one day he doesn't come back. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

This might be the key.  I've always thought Rick would give up leadership if he felt whoever was leading was capable; so that may be coming into play.

I would have agreed with that up until Terminus.  Since then I think Rick's not going to be willing to believe anyone is as capable as he and his group to lead. Not that he thinks ASZ is Terminus or that he would try to get rid of people (I hope!) who weren't part of his "family" but he's not going to put his and children's lives in anyone else's hands.  And really, I can't say as I blame him.  I think his reaction to all that is more credible than say, Glenn and Daryl who were also at the trough but seem to have more or less shaken it off.  Well, Glenn shook it off immediately, insisting on opening that one train car because that's who they are...

I don't think Rick's as far gone as Carol though.  .  Carol's like the mother in the Manchurian Candidate.  

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 1

Well, look what happens when the B team (except for Glenn) all goes on a run together. Where was Rosita? Or Rick? Now that he's the constable all he does is check on knocked over sculptures? Seems like a waste of talent. Deanna said that she's giving the newbies power positions but it looks like she's just giving their best fighters (Rick, Michonne, Maggie) a bunch of busywork.

I think the jobs they gave Michonne and Rick were likely a sign of respect. Maggie's was probably down to basic trust and seeing how much Maggie wanted to be a part of the experience.

I would guess that Aiden probably didn't want any heavy firepower on his team, as he wanted to be in charge. 

I'm not sure if bigger names would have helped (Daryl was a part of the run that killed Beth's poor boyfriend Zach), because sometimes one person just screws up (Bob looking for booze; Aiden trying to be a bad-ass).

I got a Shirley Jackson "The Lottery" vibe, that maybe the real reason that everyone is such a pod is that they can't think about how precarious their inclusion is.

Good allusion, I like it!

9) Morgan is the Boba Fett of TWD. On screen for a minute, now he's Chuck Norris.

I love this, as well. I named my first dog Boba Fett, so maybe I should get more firmly on the Morgan bandwagon.

So, I totally missed the anvils falling around Noah's new career path because I thought the point of that scene was to hear that Mr. Deanna has been keeping notes on everything. I thought we were laying the foundation for someone to stumble upon pages and pages of names of people who have been lost/exiled from ASZhatistan. 

I was hoping that Francine was the girl Tara was asking about. She was awesome.

I'm still laughing (kinda, because Noah was all kinds of sad) that everyone is in the middle of some serious shit while Rick strolls around asking some neighbors about an owl puzzle (tm Nashville).

Someone who has now watched more than once, help me out. There's a weird exchange when Deanna and Mr. Deanna say goodbye to Members Only Douche and they are talking about her being worried about the run and the wall. Something about he only put up the wall because she was worried? And there's even a "silly goose" kind of tone to him saying that. Anyone else catch this?

I've see the Hemingway-Dale quote for the episode titles, but I don't see how "Spend" fits very well for this episode. It's only a cool throwback if the titles still work as titles on their own. Thoughts on meaning, anyone?

And, for the third week in a row: You haven't seen anyone living, or dead, in quite a while, Deanna? Really?!?!?! (With Seth and Amy) 

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 5

Every other time? So you never watched Jericho (Heather and Fugmily) Or how many bazillion other tv shows/ and movies where it is a classic script device to have the male protagonist go for the cute cheerleader/young secretary/other variety pretty girl instead of The One Who Secretly Pines For Him So The Audience Will Yell "What About You-Know-Who"?

I think John Hughes made most of his fortune on that trope in the 80's.

Shakespeare would have made a fortune if playwrights made a decent wage back then.

They've even managed to flip it very frequently and have the good guy whom the girl should love be left at home while she dates beefcake (see the first few seasons of Big Bang Theory.).

That "contrived storyline" built a lot of mansions in Bel Air, it always works like Pavlov ringing a bell.

IMO Michonne falls squarly into the gorgeous, badass leading lady box. I don't consider her the quirky underdog. So again, since there are so many movies where the lead man usually falls for this type, why isn't it happening here? I think we know the answer, but I shall leave it at that.

• Love 1

Is your name from Twin Peaks? Pete says hi...

Wonder if Twin Peaks fans like yourself were savvy to the fact that this particular episode of "The Walking Dead" was directed by Jennifer Lynch, daughter of David and author of "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer".

• Love 4
I guess I don't really understand how these people lived well for two years and then everything they do is now fraught with danger because CDB is around. Did they never have problems on the construction site before? Did they never go somewhere with a lot of walkers to get supplies? Why is this happening now?

THANK YOU. I know it's a running joke now that our crew fucks everything up, but I was really hoping it would not be the case this time. 

I am really over the show telegraphing a character's death by giving said character the tiniest bit of development. Stop. it. The fact that it was an African American character makes it in ever worse. Argh.

• Love 5

Wonder if Twin Peaks fans like yourself were savvy to the fact that this particular episode of "The Walking Dead" was directed by Jennifer Lynch, daughter of David and author of "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer".

I did, yes. That book is burned into my mind - even though sometimes I wish it wasn't. 

Tyler James Williams talked about the care she took in making sure this was a big episode for Noah. Considering how underappreciated he was in most of his episodes, that just shows her eye for character and how important it is.

• Love 3