Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

And David Waller goes out of his way to announce that Grandma Keller was saved and knew her Lord Jesus Christ.  I wonder how he knew that or why he decided Catholic Grandma was saved.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

And David Waller goes out of his way to announce that Grandma Keller was saved and knew her Lord Jesus Christ.  I wonder how he knew that or why he decided Catholic Grandma was saved.

Imagine that! Them acknowledging that someone other than ATI or an uber Fundy baptist could know their Saviour! Maybe they are getting another world view...still we live in hope!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, louannems said:

http://stevenandersonfamily.blogspot.com/2010/11/why-i-dont-vote.html

OMG!  Zsu Anderson does not believe in women voting!  I also enjoyed all the comments, including those godly women who vote, but only for the candidates that their Headship voted for!!!  She is such an incredibly black,/white, all or nothing person!

Hmmm, isn't the purpose of mega breeding to have enough quivers to control votes, elect their own candidates to government seats, and win wars? Aren't they wasting quivers if the gals don't vote? 

• Love 3

Did Zsu ever even become a naturalized citizen? They are so anti-government, I could see her resisting. Something like that could explain her disdain for women voting. 

But overall, you guys are right; these people are trying to build up armies to out-vote the other side, and that means womenfolk must vote, too! And if you're a Duggar or Maxwell, have a headship hovering over your shoulder to ensure you are doing the "right thing."

(edited)
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Did Zsu ever even become a naturalized citizen? They are so anti-government, I could see her resisting. Something like that could explain her disdain for women voting. 

But overall, you guys are right; these people are trying to build up armies to out-vote the other side, and that means womenfolk must vote, too! And if you're a Duggar or Maxwell, have a headship hovering over your shoulder to ensure you are doing the "right thing."

She's from a country that used to be a police state...so Fundy thinking isn't such a reach for her.,I wouldn't put a man who beats 6 month old baby bottoms above threatening to send his wife back from where she came if she reports him.  He uses fear to rule that roost.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 1

Hungary by way of Germany, but I can't recall if was East Germany or West. I haven't been to her site since she announced her most recent pregnancy and haven't read her bio in years. 

If you want a real treat, read the 16 part "love story." These two lovebirds actually ELOPED so she wouldn't have to return to Germany. But for those who aren't familiar with Zsu, of course they met when Steve was street preaching in her hometown, and lost soul Zsu became smitten. 

48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Hungary by way of Germany, but I can't recall if was East Germany or West. I haven't been to her site since she announced her most recent pregnancy and haven't read her bio in years. 

If you want a real treat, read the 16 part "love story." These two lovebirds actually ELOPED so she wouldn't have to return to Germany. But for those who aren't familiar with Zsu, of course they met when Steve was street preaching in her hometown, and lost soul Zsu became smitten. 

A real treat, eh? I had a filling today already, so I think I might pass on this one. I do appreciate you "taking one for the team", though.

• Love 1

I am ruled by the academic calendar, so I have certain chunks of time when I can immerse myself in this stuff. In fact, my summer vacation just started, so I can do a better job keeping up on our favorite nutjobs until mid-late August. :D

• Love 7

According to Zsucifer's blog, she was born in East Germany, her mother is (East) German and her father is Hungarian. After she was born they all moved to Hungary, her parents divorced, and when she was 8, she moved with her mother to Munich after she married a West German. 

After reading her blog and the comments, all I can say is that if they want to live in a Christian fundie theocracy, they need to go establish one elsewhere. I am so sick of these people trying to use my government to enforce their beliefs on me.  

• Love 17

The fact that all these fundie families use the internet aka blogs/social media to spread their message is so ironic because every tech company and browser platform are liberal leaning entities that support their LGBT employees and sponsor pride events across the country. That's how stupid they are. They don't even know that basic information.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, maraleia said:

The fact that all these fundie families use the internet aka blogs/social media to spread their message is so ironic because every tech company and browser platform are liberal leaning entities that support their LGBT employees and sponsor pride events across the country. That's how stupid they are. They don't even know that basic information.

So does Starbuck's, something that Fundies just can't seem to get enough of.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm completely confused by this, too. Well, actually, no, saying "I'm confused" is passive-aggressive. I'm not at all confused. Religious convictions are to scream from a pulpit, apparently, not to actually practice. Their anti-LGBT stance would pretty much take them out of the world completely if they were to be 100% consistent with it, and we can't have that. Who would leave creepy comments on their Facebook page asking to see them in Victoria's Secret underwear? I think what frustrates me more than anything is that I've never once seen ANYONE--nary a Duggar, nary a Bates, nary a Gothardite in sight--who can offer one word in their defense except "JESUS SAYS DON'T JUDGE! SINCE WHEN ARE YOU SO PERFECT! ALL Y'ALL HATERS!" Not once, on these forums or anywhere else, have I seen their "side" addressed in any remotely intelligent way. "ALL Y'ALL HATERS!" is not a satisfactory response to concerns about sexual abuse, concerns about how women are treated, concerns about violence against children, concerns about proper education and healthcare.... The "haters" care more about the well-being of the Duggars than the leghumpers do, that's for damn sure. "I miss seeing you on my TV!" No matter what it does to the kids? No matter what it has already DONE to the kids? 

Edited by Aja
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, maraleia said:

I'm kind of clueless to who owns what, and who believes what. And I'm not a boycotter really either. 

I show my support on a micro level. I work in an inner city and help people use their voice and feel their importance in my job.

So I'm kind of stupid about some basic information too.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/14/2016 at 11:40 AM, louannems said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mcdonaldhomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com/&ved=0ahUKEwiC_92Ql9rMAhUK6mMKHZXaAjsQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNFweBNwgg6M5SLsfXXVUBJoRGn7Pg&sig2=UhqBvafSQofmCUPxjyn13w

I found myself a new fundie family to study and snark on!  The McDonald family really, truely wear homemade prairie dresses, calico prints, too!!!  Oh, and female headscarfs!!!!!!!

I was doing back-reading on this thread last night when I ran across this post. And fell into a very deep rabbit hole! For some reason, I was seriously intrigued by their blog and wanted to see what I could find out about what their deal was (you know, research is a lot easier when these people put themselves on television...)

In the very first blog posts from several years ago, there are a couple of photos where the older daughters are wearing pants and no scarf, but it isn't very far in that they switch to dresses/skirts, and the scarves. I guess maybe it's the obvious differences between the McDonalds and the Duggars/Bateseses/Rodriguii that piqued my curiosity, and then watching for places where their habits and ideas intersect. Here's a baker's dozen random list, for those who are interested:

1. They aren't Amish or Mennonite, but they have rubbed elbows with both of those groups in various places, at various times. Their flavor of faith appears to be a blend of evangelical fundamentalism with a heavy twist of voluntary simplicity/back-to-the-landy/barefoot gospel-ish. Very Jesus/Crunchy Granola.
  2. They do homeschool, though it's unclear if they always have. They DON'T make a huge deal about the homeschooling; it's barely mentioned, ever.
  3. The kids seem genuinely happy and bright. No hint of the Duggar smugness or vapidity, no whiff of the terrifying Rodriguez robotic emptiness.
  4. Having said that, the older kids still live with Mom and Dad, and I don't remember reading anything about college. The oldest daughter is 24, and the next oldest is 21. I think the oldest son is 18-ish. The older kids look younger than their chronological age, especially Ash, the oldest girl (who looks about 16).
  5. There are six kids. While the older kids do help out with the younger ones to some degree, there really doesn't seem to be any sort pawning off of parental responsibility.
  6. The McDonald parents are sort of the antithesis of Michelle and Jim Bob (except still devoutly Christian): Dad seems quiet and unassuming, generous, hardworking. Mom is very busy around the home; adores the kids, and it seriously shows.
  7. They take LOTS of family outings, mostly to places of great natural beauty--hiking, camping, beach trips, fishing, etc.
  8. They are very into gardening, growing food, and keep some animals (a cow and some goats, which they raise for milk).
  9. The teen girls and often the mom do wear scarves. Like the homeschooling, this choice is not made much of (in fact, I never saw it mentioned at all). They are obviously taking a page from the Amish/Mennonite playbook and adopting head-covering as a personal religious choice. Even though it is a very visible distinction, they seem quite casual and humble about it. For all their vaunted modesty, the Duggar women could learn a lot. The Duggar women FLAUNT their long hair in a way that draws attention to themselves. Same with makeup. The McDonald women don't appear to wear any, while the Duggars pile it on (don't even get me started on JRod--that woman is just a fucking freakshow.)
  10. The McDonalds are into the missionary thing (minds out of the gutter, people), and have spent a couple of stints in Belize. It does appear that they actually try to blend in, make friends with, and live like the locals. They seem extremely friendly and genuinely warm, and there doesn't seem to be that Duggary thing of "let's bring them tacky shit from the US, do a few skits, and then go home."
  11. They seem kind of ungrounded. A little rootless. I don't think they own a home--every mention of moving in somewhere is about a rental that they worked out some kind of fix-up deal on in order to save rent, or they're staying in the mobile home of friends, etc. They move a lot, and almost every time they move or make a big life decision, shit goes seriously sideways in the details--like: Oh, hey, we don't qualify to get visas to live full time in Belize! Oh, hey, we can't adopt a couple of older orphans from Liberia at the drop of a hat while visiting there"! It may be a combination of "no worries, God will work out the pesky stuff" and "let's not waste too much precious time researching the fine print." There are lots of troubles with vehicles breaking down and bad, bad water issues in Belize. When things unravel, God is teaching them some sort of lesson. When things go well, God is blessing them. The usual.
  12. Mama McDonald, as it turns out, has been pregnant 12 times. Six miscarriages. She had her first four kids (and there's a "powerful testimony" surrounding the details of their oldest daughter's conception and birth--you can read for yourself...) without incident, But then she started having troubles. The two younger daughters are much younger, as there were several miscarriages between #4 and #5 (more about this below...). I will say, though, that Mama didn't have home births, due to her difficulties. BTW, the two younger daughters were both somewhat premature; each of them weighed a little over 5 lbs. at birth. Maybe that's God with a message? Huh? HUH??
  13. They have an approach to their healthcare that dances right up to the edge of sketchy at times. They've had some very serious health troubles: Second oldest daughter Amanda has had horrific trouble with her heart, starting went they went to Belize--really scary stuff; it took them a long fucking time to come back to the states to get some more comprehensive care and answers. Their littlest girl broke her arm, and they considered taking her for care to a chiropractor (they decided not to risk having it heal badly and went to a doctor--DUH). The oldest boy turned out to have a terrible cystic tumor in his jaw; they didn't realize there was a problem until they could see the left side of his face was swollen and his expression was skewed to one side in a very Derrick Dillard kind of way. By the time they took him in, the tumor had destroyed a lot of bone mass in his jaw and had invaded into his sinus cavity! HOW DID THIS TEENAGE BOY NOT REALIZE THERE WAS A BIG PROBLEM IN HIS FACE??? Who knows...they don't say, but I after reading their blog I can absolutely imagine them seeking natural and holistic treatment for whatever ongoing symptoms he might have been experiencing. Finally, Mama McDonald writes this about her uterus/childbearing (emphasis mine; spelling and grammar hers):

"A few months ago I went to the Dr. due to some disturbing and very painful symptoms and was diagnosed with a huge uterine tumor (begign, praise the Lord). We decided not to have it removed surgically until I am older and just to live with the ongoing side affects and pain associated with it.. which was a difficult decision..I then found out that I was expecting a baby! That was a sweet discovery! I was able to carry the baby for 11 weeks before I lost it. This is our 12th baby.. now 6 here and 6 in heaven.
We are not sure why I have had such a hard time carrying babies since having Grant.. (8 babies after him, only being able to keep Grace and Laura)...."

I'm going to HAVE to follow their blog now, as I want to see if the older kids marry, or get jobs, or stay home like Maxwells. They are very attractive young people, and seem kind and sweet, rather than robotic dullards. But it's too soon to tell if they're choosing their parents' ways, or being psychologically held there.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 13
(edited)

Perhaps the uterine tumor is the reason for the miscarriages.  Why would anyone want to suffer like that unless removing it meant the end of childbearing for her? Six kids would be more than enough for me.  Just my opinion of course. I'm childless but not by choice

Sometimesy did a great job of studying this family. They seemed likeable and their children and pets appear to be well cared for. They don't make a show of everything they do like the Duggars. They sort of remind me of Seven Sisters...they seemed really sweet and enjoyable and humble as well. I love me some snark, but I generally won't snark on people who are humble and sincere, until they prove to me otherwise.

Correction: Sometimes Bites

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 6

Fibroid tumors can grow large during pregnancy due to hormones.  And they can result in miscarriages.  These days fibroids can be often be removed while leaving the uterus intact for pregnancy.  What a shame to go through all of those miscarriages but they probably don't have money for surgery like that.

• Love 1

For some reason, I can't copy/paste from Instagram on my phone today, but Jessica Seewald found herself a clothing line to shill. And her outfit is all kinds of Nike!!!! down to the top of her black bra and Daisy Dukes.

Pa Seewald must be so proud. /sarcasm

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

For some reason, I can't copy/paste from Instagram on my phone today, but Jessica Seewald found herself a clothing line to shill. And her outfit is all kinds of Nike!!!! down to the top of her black bra and Daisy Dukes.

Pa Seewald must be so proud. /sarcasm

I can see Boob's head exploding! Go, Jessa!

12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm kind of clueless to who owns what, and who believes what. And I'm not a boycotter really either. 

I show my support on a micro level. I work in an inner city and help people use their voice and feel their importance in my job.

So I'm kind of stupid about some basic information too.

Well, not to defend the Duggars' embrace of ignorance, but in this huge and complicated world, there's a heck of a lot of basic information out there, with every realm having its own set. I don't think it's possible for anyone to be familiar with all or even most of it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's Jessica, Ben's sister, not Jessa.

Thanks.  It was late.  Anyway, it will give Boob something to be sanctimonious about.  Who'd have thunk, marryin your daughter off to heathens. Really, Boob,ya should have done a better job of vetting your SIL. 

So I'm supposed to be trying to find a good present for one of the VPs at my company and was browsing upcoming concerts. Looks like the Willis Clan is playing here on 15 July! Hmmmmm.......

• Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Aja said:

So I'm supposed to be trying to find a good present for one of the VPs at my company and was browsing upcoming concerts. Looks like the Willis Clan is playing here on 15 July! Hmmmmm.......

Do you like that VP?? :-P

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, MunichNark said:

Do you like your Boss?? :-P

Oh no, that's not for the VP. No, no. That's for ME. Although nobody would be surprised if that ended up being the gift I was in charge of getting.

Edited by Aja

I see.........I've watched a few videos of theirs and they are actually not bad.

Feel for those kids though, in order to be that good, they'd need to spend all of their time practising, which leaves little spare time.

(I really ought to practice my keyboard, come to think of it)

I know, the Willises aren't as exciting as the Rodriguii, for example. But in light of my years on these boards and the resulting mild obsession with fundamentalist cults, I feel somewhat obligated. Opportunities like this don't come around often in my neck of the woods. :D

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Aja said:

I know, the Willises aren't as exciting as the Rodriguii, for example. But in light of my years on these boards and the resulting mild obsession with fundamentalist cults, I feel somewhat obligated. Opportunities like this don't come around often in my neck of the woods. :D

Fair enough, go for it! And report back.........I believe they've claimed the Corrs as their influence - and the Corrs are fab

See, if you were in Germany, you'd be stuck with the likes of that one.....(hope it's ok to post?)

2 hours ago, louannems said:

http://blog.titus2.com/2016/05/26/grandmas-secret-spot-remover/

Grandma's spot remover cannot remove that "ONE" little spot.  You know, that filthy, dirty spot of sin on your soul!!!

"Mary seems to have developed the best skills at stain removal and is often requested to work on a spot that has appeared on a prized garment." 

Is Mary single? "Oh Jana the concert pianist can garden, I'll raise you an in-demand stain remover."  

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

"Mary seems to have developed the best skills at stain removal and is often requested to work on a spot that has appeared on a prized garment." 

Is Mary single? "Oh Jana the concert pianist can garden, I'll raise you an in-demand stain remover."  

Wtf?!!! "A prized garment?" They talk like they're in Elizabethan England, ffs. What's up with the weird formality? Do family members have to book appointments with Mary for stain removal? Or is it based on need? These people are INSANE. 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/21/2016 at 10:36 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

This always puzzles me too...Most Fundys seem to subscribe to the "once Saved, always Saved" doctrine and don't believe that there is any possibility of losing salvation through backsliding. It seems to me, though, that there is every chance in the world that a four and a half year old won't even clearly remember the occasion into adulthood. Maybe they will remember it in a theoretical sense, since it's likely that the story will be retold throughout their growing-up years but with that many kids, especially if a few more come along afterwards, the details of one Baptism vs. another will probably get blurred. Anyway, point being that this child, with any sort of luck, has a chance of escaping the cult and going on to live a life anywhere between Fundy-lite and Atheist. If they are still "Saved" at that point, then why guard them so obsessively against any hint of secular attitudes in their life experience? And it is possible for them to backslide and lose their Salvation (due, most probably, to the fact that it was nothing more than mimicry and wanting to be part of something the "big kids" had), then why allow them to do it at such a young age to start with? If I was the parent, and if I believed in any sort of god to start with, much less an omniscient one who would know my child's mind much better than I did myself, it seems I would hesitate at allowing such a young child to make such a once-in-a lifetime commitment before being absolutely sure they were ready. After all, what if God heard them and said, "naah...I see their mind and I see the future, and there is no way this kid knows what she is saying or is going to stay on the straight-and-narrow", and didn't bestow said Salvation? Is that possible? How would one know? And in the meantime, here's the parent of a child growing up rebellious, secure in the knowledge that at least their kid is safe from damnation...

It's a good thing I don't actually believe any of this, or it would probably make me crazy!

Since you ask, there is absolutely a concept of "age of accountability" (some of you who have read "Bridge to Terabithia" may remember it as the father's well-intentioned "God ain't gonna send any little girls to hell"), which is just logical.  Otherwise known as the "until one is fully old enough to understand and process ramifications and concepts like 'hell', 'forever', and 'consequences', it has to be assumed that they in fact would choose such a state that avoided all of these outcomes, i.e. salvation, were they capable to do these deep mental cogitations."

Many disagree about where exactly this line is drawn, needless to say.  Especially nowadays, when studies on the brain have shown that it's possible you shouldn't even be taking people to join the military until their mid-twenties, because the risk-taking and consequences portion of their brain can be still physically developing in some cases.  I think fundies who shove the kids down the aisle at four or five aren't really thinking anything deeper or more primary than locking 'em down early and getting an eternal life insurance policy on the kid while they're malleable, i.e., before they can get any highfalutin' deep processing skillz that might cause them to doubt, question, or say "no, I don't think I care, thus won't elect to do so".

Aside:  I also don't think the concept of "second born-again baptism" knocks out people wanting their infants baptized.  I think most who would be interested in both for their kids, go for both ceremonies.

Edited by queenanne

Does anyone else on here find themselves full of wonder in how God manages all these different beliefs and religious milestones?

Because I have such a hard time with some of this, my thinking tends to get very concrete. I'm now imagining some poor helper dude with a spread sheet miles long checking off a box next to the Rodrigues child's name.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone else on here find themselves full of wonder in how God manages all these different beliefs and religious milestones?

Because I have such a hard time with some of this, my thinking tends to get very concrete. I'm now imagining some poor helper dude with a spread sheet miles long checking off a box next to the Rodrigues child's name.

There's 7.5 billion people in the world and plenty of wars, natural disasters, and other things for God to oversee. I really feel I've accomplished something if I can cross off 2 oo 10 on my to do list. I remember asking people that question whilst trapped in Fundieland, and I was just supposed to marvel. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Their gawd is upper management, an administrative gawd. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Damn...if Terrified likes Grandma's Spot Remover so much, where is Steve yo swoop in and accuse her of idolatry like he did with Pepsi?

Egad. I discovered this stuff ages ago at Hancock Fabrics (RIP) and it is indeed great. But any moron can use it (me = Exhibit A).  Because it is old-timey and down-homey, we call it Grandmother's Spittle. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wtf?!!! "A prized garment?" They talk like they're in Elizabethan England, ffs. What's up with the weird formality? Do family members have to book appointments with Mary for stain removal? Or is it based on need? These people are INSANE. 

I am so evil and reveal my roots as an English major herein. All I can think of is Lady Macbeth's "Out, damned spot....Hell is murky." 

Off to the prayer closet....

• Love 5

As good as Grandma’s Spot Remover is, there is yet one “spot” that it can’t remove.

“Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless” (2 Peter 3:14).

Oh how thankful we are for the Lord Jesus and His cleansing blood!

Trusting in Jesus,
Teri

That sin spot that even Grandmas-secret-spot-remover cannot remove!

CSC_0014.JPG

Zsu's newborn sleeps on her belly since modern research regarding SIDS is all wrong.

Her oldest child, a 15 yo, is allowed to have a summer job!  That is very good!  You know JB would never allow his brood to do real work.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, louannems said:

As good as Grandma’s Spot Remover is, there is yet one “spot” that it can’t remove.

“Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless” (2 Peter 3:14).

Oh how thankful we are for the Lord Jesus and His cleansing blood!

Trusting in Jesus,
Teri

That sin spot that even Grandmas-secret-spot-remover cannot remove!

Ya' know, I was trying to figure out how those spots just "appeared" on their clothes.

Sinners!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm not sure how any frumper garment like they wear most of the time could be "prized" unless they are only allowed a few. Is their SIL's frightful Miss Piggy Pink dress among one of the ones they prize?

• Love 3

AHA JillR made a FB post that trolls for visitors for their upcoming trip to Ohio to get love offerings and free meals for the kids and all.  They haven't been home very long and they're back to the stink RV again.  I guess the hubby needs money because obviously his print business is a total bust.  It will give them a chance to go out for their dinners for 2, and often a night or so in a motel for them.  Poor kids drew the short straw with those fake parents.

• Love 6