Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Little kids who go trick or treating don't think of it as 'dressing up like 'demon's'.  That's just BS.  8 year old girls aren't going to use that expression and what 8 year old dresses up like a 'Greek Goddess'  for Halloween in the first place?  And even if she did she wouldn't think of it as 'dressing up like a demon'.  Let's ask for 25 more bibles for all of our classmates.  The Waller's assuming that all of those public school classmates don't have bibles!  That entire story is pure fantasy.  More lying liars who lie.

My 9 year old will be dressing up as Athena this year. And her friend is going as Medusa. But then, she's read a lot of Percy Jackson. And at least they handed out candy along with the tracts. My kids usually get one or two of those tracts in the sack of candy, too. They took a situation they probably don't approve of--Halloween--went along with it by handing out candy and used it as a platform to spread their message. Honestly, that seems fine to me. Other than having 50 Bibles on hand to distribute, that was a head scratcher for me. Though I have a feeling that was an exaggerated truth.

• Love 6

I don't feel the least bit sorry for David or Priscilla anymore.   From reading their blog stories they are just such liars, embellishing their little stories with pure fantasy to try and make themselves appear holy and humble and God's BFF.  David is fabulous, Prissy is oblivious and the whole ruse is obvious.

I agree,he has more chemistry with that guy he is always pictured with.

• Love 2

How the Wallers handle Halloween:

As we were preparing the dinner the door bell rang numerous times. We greeted each child and carefully instructed them “This is for you to eat [holding up candy] and this is not for you to eat J [holding up a Gospel tract]” The children would usually giggle and then run off to the next home. However, this year, I was shocked at how many of them really appreciated the tracts. We chose to use a little Bible tract. A few girls who must have been around eight years old stated, “Oh, I go to church, but not very often.” We were then able to share that it is really not about going to church, but about a relationship. One of the little girls looked up and asked, “Are you a preacher or something?” A few minutes later they came running back, “Hey, my mom and dad want one too. Can we have a few more of those Bibles?” As we reached for a few more inside the door the little children came right in after us and said, “Can I have one for my classmate as well?” Before I knew it she was counting out one for each of her twenty-five classmates. Then the other girl looked up and asked, “By the way, is it wrong to dress up like a demon?” We replied, “What do you think the Bible says?” The other girl quickly boasted, “Well I’m dressed up like a Greek goddess!” The other girl then replied, “I don’t think Jesus would like it very much when we dress like a demon.” What a blessing for us to be able to meet and share Christ’s love with many children last night.

David is acting his way through life, and even little Halloween incidents turn into full blown God episodes through David's script writing. David wrote what he planned and wished for, not what really happened.

• Love 10

As we were preparing the dinner the door bell rang numerous times. We greeted each child and carefully instructed them “This is for you to eat [holding up candy] and this is not for you to eat J [holding up a Gospel tract]” The children would usually giggle and then run off to the next home. However, this year, I was shocked at how many of them really appreciated the tracts. We chose to use a little Bible tract. A few girls who must have been around eight years old stated, “Oh, I go to church, but not very often.” We were then able to share that it is really not about going to church, but about a relationship. One of the little girls looked up and asked, “Are you a preacher or something?” A few minutes later they came running back, “Hey, my mom and dad want one too. Can we have a few more of those Bibles?” As we reached for a few more inside the door the little children came right in after us and said, “Can I have one for my classmate as well?” Before I knew it she was counting out one for each of her twenty-five classmates. Then the other girl looked up and asked, “By the way, is it wrong to dress up like a demon?” We replied, “What do you think the Bible says?” The other girl quickly boasted, “Well I’m dressed up like a Greek goddess!” The other girl then replied, “I don’t think Jesus would like it very much when we dress like a demon.” What a blessing for us to be able to meet and share Christ’s love with many children last night.

I call bullshit on this story too. What 8 year old wants bibles for her whole classroom?

I have a coupon friend who is deep into her bible church (Willow Creek Community Church for all the Chicago peeps). Her son has been raised in the church, the camps as well as all the after school programs they have, etc. The other day she posted a project her son made in school about what he wanted to do when he was older. He had God all over that paper, he wants to be a preacher and preaches to his little friends all day long. While I don't think there is anything wrong with a good kid learning about God, it kinda bothers me that he goes to public school and is over the top with this stuff. So with that being said I can see David being this kid. He wants to preach and teach thinking that everyone will suddenly be converted.  

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

What's with the pumped up muscles on these fundie men? Are they all doing heavy labor or just hanging out at the gym without their wives? I guess most of the young men I see are hipsters who stay slim to look good in their carefully chosen clothes. 

• Love 2

In 2014 when David loves Priscilla were expecting their second child and Paul was 1 year old.: More responsibility for Paul!

Friends and family, Paul is going to have a lot more responsibility come mid November 2014 because a little sibling is on the way! We are so excited to be expecting another little blessing.

Wow.

Poor Paul, that poor little indentured servant, er, I mean sister-wi..., er, whatever. Poor Paul.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3

The other girl quickly boasted, “Well I’m dressed up like a Greek goddess!” The other girl then replied, “I don’t think Jesus would like it very much when we dress like a demon.”

"My god is older than yours, bitch!"

• Love 15

Kids who dress up for Halloween don't go around thinking - I'm going to dress up like a demon this year!  No, they dress up as their favorite hero or Disney character  or cartoon character or movie hero.  How many actual devils does someone see coming around even in the guise of oh no a Greek Goddess?   Only an ignorant 'love is not an emotion' couple brainwashed to believe that Halloween was about dressing up like Satan or some biblical demon of some sort would even think of it.  Making up a story, a lie, for the purpose of tricking others into believing that they somehow 'corrected' the little demons coming to their door.

Edited by Defrauder
  • Love 10

Kids who dress up for Halloween don't go around thinking - I'm going to dress up like a demon this year!  No, they dress up as their favorite hero or Disney character  or cartoon character or movie hero.  How many actual devils does someone see coming around even in the guise of oh no a Greek Goddess?   Only an ignorant 'love is not an emotion' couple brainwashed to believe that Halloween was about dressing up like Satan or some biblical demon of some sort would even think of it.  Making up a story, a lie, for the purpose of tricking others into believing that they somehow 'corrected' the little demons coming to their door.

He forgot that tricks are for kids.

• Love 5

Another made up story by the fictional writer David doesn't love Priscilla Waller:

Over a hundred years ago, a young actress from was hoping to do a good deed by cheering up a sick girl with a visit. During the course of their time together, the actress was deeply moved by the evident love that the young sick girl had for her Savior, Jesus Christ. It was not long after their meeting that the actress considered the claims of the Gospel and committed her life to Christ. Unfortunately, the woman had a difficult time helping her unsaved father understand how her new-found faith would not be consistent with pursuing life as an actress. Her father was greatly disappointed, especially as he contemplated how their living would be lost and the business destroyed. He insisted that his daughter fulfill her commitment to appear in an advertised play just days later.

From where?  What was her name?  Why would being an actress not be consistent with her new found faith?  

• Love 1

When the crowd had arrived and the curtains were drawn back, the young actress stepped forward and simply quoted the poetic lines of a sixteen-year-old’s testimony: “My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine; For Thee all the follies of sin I resign; My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou; If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.” The young actress had done what she believed her Savior wanted. Leaving the audience in tears, she retired from the stage, never to appear upon it again. Through her influence her father was converted, and through their united evangelistic labors many were led to God.

Prove it!  Who were they? 

Was Priscilla dreaming of becoming an actress when he made that one up?  

• Love 3

Yeah, right.

My 9 year old will be dressing up as Athena this year. And her friend is going as Medusa. But then, she's read a lot of Percy Jackson. And at least they handed out candy along with the tracts. My kids usually get one or two of those tracts in the sack of candy, too. They took a situation they probably don't approve of--Halloween--went along with it by handing out candy and used it as a platform to spread their message. Honestly, that seems fine to me. Other than having 50 Bibles on hand to distribute, that was a head scratcher for me. Though I have a feeling that was an exaggerated truth.

I wonder if they would mind if other parents were passing out Korans or Satanic bibles? If handed any Christian tracts or Bibles, I would probably politely take them and throw them away later, out of simple respect. I doubt they would do the same if others' beliefs were similarly presented/forced on them. Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 10

That Halloween story is such bullshit. On what planet would you be able to hand out Bible tracts in a public school? If the girl was in a Christian school they'd already have material like that. Unless she had all 25 classmates with her trick or treating, that story makes absolutely no sense.

• Love 10

Another made up story by the fictional writer David doesn't love Priscilla Waller:

Over a hundred years ago, a young actress from was hoping to do a good deed by cheering up a sick girl with a visit. During the course of their time together, the actress was deeply moved by the evident love that the young sick girl had for her Savior, Jesus Christ. It was not long after their meeting that the actress considered the claims of the Gospel and committed her life to Christ. Unfortunately, the woman had a difficult time helping her unsaved father understand how her new-found faith would not be consistent with pursuing life as an actress. Her father was greatly disappointed, especially as he contemplated how their living would be lost and the business destroyed. He insisted that his daughter fulfill her commitment to appear in an advertised play just days later.

From where?  What was her name?  Why would being an actress not be consistent with her new found faith?  

Sounds like something Kirk Cameron would tell you. A horrifying tale about an extra he worked with on Growing Pains.

ETA: Wouldn't surprise me if there is a canon of fundie urban legends out there that are oft repeated. And that DW is passing on (and/or starting, of course.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

If anyone wants to see what real demon possession looks like just watch Anna with Priscilla in the video from October: Anna Duggar and Priscilla Waller Reminisce About Our Budding Relationship 3 Years Ago This Week.   Both of their eyes are glowing red.  Serious. It's the weirdest thing.  They're talking really 'sweet' yet both of their eyes are red. And not just red but glowing. Weird.  Prissy says something about how desire for a husband is natural because if God didn't give you those desires you would just think of men as dirty and stinky like your brothers.  That was probably the funniest part of the 5 minutes.  Anna talks about how the wedding day isn't the bride's day but God's day....

• Love 1

I don't know of any kid who would be delighted to get a tract in their Halloween candy. Curious maybe, but not excited.

Hmm if it would have been my husband back in the 70's when he was a kid, that house would have been bombed with eggs.

• Love 8

We have some fundie neighbors.  My kids were maybe not excited to get the tracts, but once they were old enough to parody the tracts they did that delightedly and would have been disappointed to miss that special Halloween tradition.  I've known Chick tracts for years and my kids did argue over who got the best/worst tract.  I think it was a special honor to get the anti-Catholic tract since we are Catholic/Orthodox.

I doubt Davie's story as being 100% factually accurate.  I think he views the blog as a preaching forum without feeling the need to be factually accurate - kind of like embroidering a story to make a better sermon.  I'm sure he's seen a lot of that.  At least they did also give out candy. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 11

We have some fundie neighbors.  My kids were maybe not excited to get the tracts, but once they were old enough to parody the tracts they did that delightedly and would have been disappointed to miss that special Halloween tradition.  I've known Chick tracts for years and my kids did argue over who got the best/worst tract.  I think it was a special honor to get the anti-Catholic tract since we are Catholic/Orthodox.

I doubt Davie's story as being 100% factually accurate.  I think he views the blog as a preaching forum without feeling the need to be factually accurate - kind of like embroidering a story to make a better sermon.  I'm sure he's seen a lot of that.  At least they did also give out candy. 

Yes, they did give candy, to their credit. But it's funny the people who claim a two thousand year old book is 100% factually accurate, can't keep a simple story straight themselves, in the internet age.  Things that make you go hhmmm.

• Love 7

The altered story of pecan gleaning shows just how far Davey will embellish to tell a story (or in his case, I guess he sees them as parables). He sure took out the part about the "jolly, black police officer" when he was rightfully criticized for his racist caricature. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 10

You know, I know there are a number of biblical scholars around here. Maybe someone can explain to me how God is supposed to be against understanding the bible in anything but a completely literal way when most of what Jesus actually has to say is in parable form?

• Love 9

Hmm if it would have been my husband back in the 70's when he was a kid, that house would have been bombed with eggs.

I can see the kids totally punking him - let's see if we can get him to give us all of his bibles, we'll say it's for our entire classroom.  Don't forget to tell him your Disney Princess costume is really a Greek Goddess and we're dressing up like demons.

• Love 7

You know, I know there are a number of biblical scholars around here. Maybe someone can explain to me how God is supposed to be against understanding the bible in anything but a completely literal way when most of what Jesus actually has to say is in parable form?

It's a variation on selective deafness.

• Love 7

Just watched the Walliars video announcing they had their 20 weeks ultrasound when Prissy was prego with #2.  All he talks about is how Satan wants his kid.  I guess I can understand that David after watching your wife's possession video.  One down.

• Love 4

Like the little Greek Goddess girl's parents would send her back to his house to get bibles for them too. LOL.  And I'm getting ads for Greek yogurt now.

Not for nothing, but... I'm loving Ad Block. No ads of any kind ever get through on PTV. Highly recommend this.

Edited by Wellfleet

Not for nothing, but... I'm loving Ad Block. No ads of any kind ever get through on PTV. Highly recommend this.

Thanks for the tip! PTL!

Maybe the tracts were attached to candy? So they go back and ask for 25 of them "for their friends."  wink

Yep.  Every now and then you get the - and can I have one for my sick brother at home?  The whole classroom though that was ingenius. Hope it was some good candy too and not some cheap jelly beans.

Just watched How To Guard Your Heart For God's Best On David Waller YouTube!!!! Did you know you can give away pieces of your heart even in your imagination?!?!?! Yes, then by the time you make it to the alter, you will only have a tiny little piece of your heart left to give your husband!!?!! Don't know what happens when the little blessing comes along and the pieces are all used up!!!

Seriously, I am so sick of the whole pieces of the heart thing. What's next? Giving away little pieces of your liver? Kidney?

Princilla talks in bumper sticker slogans and I can never get enough of her!!!

Her Godly YouTube's are even classified as Comedy!!!

• Love 9

Just watched How To Guard Your Heart For God's Best On David Waller YouTube!!!! Did you know you can give away pieces of your heart even in your imagination?!?!?! Yes, then by the time you make it to the alter, you will only have a tiny little piece of your heart left to give your husband!!?!! Don't know what happens when the little blessing comes along and the pieces are all used up!!!

Seriously, I am so sick of the whole pieces of the heart thing. What's next? Giving away little pieces of your liver? Kidney?

Princilla talks in bumper sticker slogans and I can never get enough of her!!!

Her Godly YouTube's are even classified as Comedy!!!

It is comedy.  No Romance Novels lest you lose pieces of your heart forever!  Then she marries a guy who writes fiction.  And why do pieces of their hearts suddenly disappear when they  have feelings for someone before marriage yet they can have dozens of kids and keep a whole heart?  The whole thing doesn't make sense.  I thought 'love was not an emotion' anyway.  David in all of his wisdom even claims that love doesn't come from the heart but from God.  The logic is just incomprehensible. 

• Love 7

OK, riddle me this: if love is not a real thing, and marriage is about obligation and service to God, what does your husband care what you do with your heart?

• Love 8

Yes, "Over a hundred years ago' so I don't have to provide any names or anything.

"And did I mention that I love Josh, er, I mean, Priscilla?"

If you have to keep reminding people about your lurve, maybe you're jes' tryin' to convince yourself.

Just when I think I can't fall any further into Alice's rabbit hole... Meet the Wallers! And the Benhams! Watch the Duggars and Seewalds attempt to hijack the twitters! Pirates!

And, agree with louannems, gotta love the Prissisms. Though I think comparing them to bumper sticker slogans is being too kind.

You can't make this stuff up.

It's yet another way for fundie men to keep their women in barefoot and pregnant servitude.

Yeah, I noticed that slacker Priscilla only has two kids. Haven't they been married three years?

• Love 4

Yeah, I noticed that slacker Priscilla only has two kids. Haven't they been married three years?

Let's keep in mind that David has to likely make a HUGE production about sleeping with Prissy. For all we know, he's two for two. :D

• Love 13