Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

A few interesting things I picked up; most show that Alyssa is not doing things the way her parents did:

1. Ally Jane watches videos on the phone all the time

2. Kelly would not read to AJ, she would only point to the book and ask her questions.  Did she not approve of the books?

3. Alyssa slipped up when she was describing AJ learning her numbers & ABC's, she said "she watches..."  I think she is learning via video and not from Alyssa.

4.  Alyssa bottle feeding the baby

• Love 2
On April 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Aja said:

I think so. I only watched it the one time, probably around the same time you did, and my pinkeye just cleared up last week.

A summary for those of you with time constraints: Lots of green Wet n' Wild eyeliner. LOTS.

Do you have a link to the makeup tutorial?  I have a special event this weekend and want to make sure I look my best.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

The Rodriguii remind me of Emily and DNA from underathousand of yore.

What ever happened to them? Gloodles? Didn't she leave him? 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Aja said:

I hope it's a Whitesnake concert.

Whitesnake, Poison and Def Leppard. 

This woman can hardly breathe from all the chemicals she is spraying in the air.  No wonder so many babies didn't survive in that small toxic atmosphere.  She really is insane.   

I needed an inhaler from watching this. 

ETA:  Curious as to if she spends this much time on any of her children and their appearance.  I think not.  Lay off the hairspray and buy your kids some real food.  Her husband and his creepy appearance is the thing nightmares are made  of. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Catfin said:

What ever happened to them? Gloodles? Didn't she leave him? 

They went offline after multiple concerned readers of her blog contacted the administration at the school where DNA was studying for the ministry.  I think you're right though; I seem to recall that DNA dropped out of school (no surprise there, he was not the sharpest tool in the shed and Emily came right out and said on the blog that she was 'helping' write his papers and such).  And, I think you're right, they did separate; but I'm sure Jesus wouldn't allow them to divorce.  I haven't heard anything about her in a long, long time.

I remember the time that one of her kids, about 3 years old, was sick and she decided that he just needed to sleep when he didn't awaken for a day or two.  Eventually, she took him to the ER where it turned out he was virtually comatose from some severe infection. He was almost dead by the time they got him there and spent time in ICU. Her willingness to share her appallingly inept parenting and homemaking skills was just part of her charm.  It would've been funny if there weren't multiple innocent little kids being fed starvation rations and living in squalor.

• Love 5

Someone found Dna online a couple of months ago.  Apparently he and Emily are divorced.  I don't know if she has the kids, but he sure doesn't.  He had for a short time a poop fetish blog.  Those with stronger stomachs than mine read some of his 'writings', and it wasn't pretty.  He might have become aware of the scrutiny, I think someone said the blog was taken down soon after FJ started discussing it.

8 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Someone found Dna online a couple of months ago.  Apparently he and Emily are divorced.  I don't know if she has the kids, but he sure doesn't.  He had for a short time a poop fetish blog.  Those with stronger stomachs than mine read some of his 'writings', and it wasn't pretty.  He might have become aware of the scrutiny, I think someone said the blog was taken down soon after FJ started discussing it.

I checked at FJ and the last info they have seems to be about 4 years old.  They apparently ended up with 5 little boys.  They live in the same state, but about 700 miles apart; so they are definitely separated and probably divorced.  Emily abandoned her fundie ways and started a blog to brag about her newfound liberalism and anti- fundie beliefs.  She also quit blogging so much about her BSC personal life.  She apparently purchased a foreclosed house that looked to be in rough shape a few years back.  I hope she fixed it up safely and those poor kids have a decent life.

I also recall, back in the day, that Emily bragged about her kids sleeping on the floor on blankets and such because she was too cheap/poor to buy them beds.  Someone on FJ actually bought a mattress and sent it to her.  She sold it and the kids stayed on the floor.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, truthtalk2014 said:

ETA:  Curious as to if she spends this much time on any of her children and their appearance.  I think not.  Lay off the hairspray and buy your kids some real food.  Her husband and his creepy appearance is the thing nightmares are made  of. 

She made a video about doing the kids' hair.  What she does to the boys is painful to watch!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I checked at FJ and the last info they have seems to be about 4 years old.  They apparently ended up with 5 little boys.  They live in the same state, but about 700 miles apart; so they are definitely separated and probably divorced.  Emily abandoned her fundie ways and started a blog to brag about her newfound liberalism and anti- fundie beliefs.  She also quit blogging so much about her BSC personal life.  She apparently purchased a foreclosed house that looked to be in rough shape a few years back.  I hope she fixed it up safely and those poor kids have a decent life.

I also recall, back in the day, that Emily bragged about her kids sleeping on the floor on blankets and such because she was too cheap/poor to buy them beds.  Someone on FJ actually bought a mattress and sent it to her.  She sold it and the kids stayed on the floor.

There's a new thread here.  Starts last September and the last post is from March 11.  But I got a few things wrong, his fetish is urine soaked diapers, not poopy ones, they're up to six boys, and one recent poster says that Dna is apparently the one who has custody, and he sends the kids to public school.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

There's a new thread here.  Starts last September and the last post is from March 11.  But I got a few things wrong, his fetish is urine soaked diapers, not poopy ones, they're up to six boys, and one recent poster says that Dna is apparently the one who has custody, and he sends the kids to public school.

Oh Lord!  I managed to miss that in my scan of FJ.  I am happy to hear Dna is still working as a custodian at Walmart.  Based on his writings, that seems to be a good fit for him.  Interesting that he has custody, perhaps Emily finally had that complete mental breakdown she was obviously heading for.  Glad to hear the kids are in public school, I'm sure they qualify for the lunch program and are therefore getting enough to eat and far better fare than they ever got from Em.  They really are a fundie tragedy; a clear example of how people of limited intellectual abilities and/or mental health issues can be drawn into that lifestyle, much to their detriment.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Wow. Wow. Those poor innocent kids. Will need to read up on them later today. Thanks all for the update. 

7 hours ago, Mollie said:

She made a video about doing the kids' hair.  What she does to the boys is painful to watch!

If this is the video I think it is -- I don't have the mental fortitude to watch it right now -- the highlight is watching the baby girl eat rubber bands while JRod works on her hair, oblivious. If I recall correctly, the child holding the camera makes a half-hearted attempt to stop the rubber band consumption but Jill competely ignores it.

1 minute ago, momofsquid said:

If this is the video I think it is -- I don't have the mental fortitude to watch it right now -- the highlight is watching the baby girl eat rubber bands while JRod works on her hair, oblivious. If I recall correctly, the child holding the camera makes a half-hearted attempt to stop the rubber band consumption but Jill competely ignores it.

Yep.  All of that is in this video.

I think Jill R. needs to quit snorting the hairspray.  It's like the nerve endings in her brain are all stuck together.

0 0 1 Jill R.png

• Love 3

I cannot watch that video again!  If it's the one I saw before, she ruthlessly yanks on the boy's chin, twisting it this way and that, as she "styles" his poor head, ending in a nuclear cloud of hairspray.

• Love 1
(edited)

Watched some of the video; particularly enjoyed the part where she French braided one girl's hair and calls it a 'cornroll'.  Did you know that Jill studied cosmetology at SODRT in high school and claims she got a license?  License to kill, based on the ridiculous amount of product she puts in the kids' hair.

I do think the highlight is at the very end where JillRod uses half a can of mousse, rubber bands, hair spray and thingamabobs to 'style' the hair of a toddler with baby hair about 3 inches long. A baby who is also wearing long dangly earrings while blithely eating rubber bands.  It's a disaster, thank Jebus Jill is a professional!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5

OK I had to watch the hair video. Forwarded through a good bunch. These people are so weird.

First part was like yet another mail order bride video advertising her tween and teen daughters. So weird. 

Second, I have a hard time believing anyone asks Jill about hair and makeup tips. 

Third, why was the one really odd daughter (next one after Nurie), dressed in some 1988 shoulder padded shiny brocade looking suit jacket? Whatever that out fit was she looked like something my Nonna would've worn on a cruise ship in 1988. The older Nonna got, the more she resembled Grandma Yetta from the Nanny. When vision goes, the flash grows. Bless her and God rest her.

Fourth, these girls may have long hair, but they look so malnourished. Not just really thin teenagers, but that hair looks so dull and brittle. They need far better nutrition. Girls that young should have shiny hair that doesn't look like it would break off if you touch it.

Fifth, she really does not like the oldest boy, does she? Nothing positive to say about him, ever.

Sixth, that baby that she 'styles' by gooping on a pound of product and then putting in those rubber bands - kid's hair looked fine before. After, a big mess.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Fifth, she really does not like the oldest boy, does she? Nothing positive to say about him, ever.

I seem to recall that she was very proud of how often he wanted to "fast for Jesus". Yup, the kid who's already a walking skeleton. 

• Love 3

That's the same son in which she bragged about having to constantly correct his very wayward behavior in his younger years.  She encouraged her viewers to not get complacent about consistently correcting their kids every single time they misbehave.  It just gave me the creeps.

• Love 1

The Rodrigues family, with 12 kids, have been living in that RV for the past two months, while traveling through North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Pennsylvania.  Before this trip, Jill wrote on the blog that they lived in the RV for TWO YEARS. "For those of you who do not know already, we have given up our rental home and we plan to travel in this so that we can finish raising our support and so that we can use our music more as we travel – due to the increasing demand for it."

They should be reported to Social Services and those kids taken to foster care. 

0 0 1 Bus.jpg

• Love 5
(edited)

Wait? What? I have a major interest in the Tudors and their relationships, but I had never heard that Anne Boleyn was a fundie heroine. I would have assumed that she would be a cautionary tale about jezebels and intelligent, ambitious women. (Now if they wanted to revere near-martyr and fervent protestant wife 6, Catherine Parr, I would get that, but I'm assuming that's a little much for the SODRT).

Brought over from another thread.  Yep, there are fundies who revere Anne Boleyn and consider her a misunderstood martyr.  The link is from the blog of the Botkin sisters (offspring of the creepy Geoffrey Botkin; known in fundie circles for their advocacy of Stay at Home Daughters and stars of the fundie classic 'Return of the Daughters').  They participated in a re enactment of the Reformation (I have no idea why this exists) and one of them portrayed AB and wrote a post about her Godly virtues complete with photos.

https://botkinsisters.com/2009/07/resurrecting-two-great-queen

The Botkin sisters, both well into their 30's and really attractive, IMO, are the only girls in their family.  Their 5 or so brothers, many of them younger, have all been married off and are reproducing like bunnies while the girls wait at home for their daddy to find them husbands.  However, Daddy is really creepy.  They used to run a seminar for fundie girls who were to stay at home and wait for husbands rather than go out in the world and do anything else.  At these seminars, there was a lot of creepy Daddy worship where girls were encouraged to massage Daddy's feet and shave him and other icky weird stuff.  I don't know if they're still doing them, but they continue to advocate for daughters essentially worshiping their fathers while waiting for a husband.  It seems pretty clear to me that neither one is going to be meeting Prince Charming as long as Daddy is around and wants a foot rub.

Edited by doodlebug
correct Botkins' ages, looked it up
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, Mollie said:

The Rodrigues family, with 12 kids, have been living in that RV for the past two months, while traveling through North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Pennsylvania.  Before this trip, Jill wrote on the blog that they lived in the RV for TWO YEARS. "For those of you who do not know already, we have given up our rental home and we plan to travel in this so that we can finish raising our support and so that we can use our music more as we travel – due to the increasing demand for it."

They should be reported to Social Services and those kids taken to foster care. 

0 0 1 Bus.jpg

"finish raising our support"? What does that even mean? 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Fundie talk for 'we're waiting for someone to give us a house.'  Jill's writing is hard to follow, it is pretty obvious she was home-schooled by someone who either didn't know or care about grammar, punctuation or spelling.  Even her speech is peppered with nonsense language.  It's like she learned English from someone who didn't actually speak it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:
  • Brought over from another thread.  Yep, there are fundies who revere Anne Boleyn and consider her a misunderstood martyr.  The link is from the blog of the Botkin sisters (offspring of the creepy Geoffrey Botkin; known in fundie circles for their advocacy of Stay at Home Daughters and stars of the fundie classic 'Return of the Daughters').  They participated in a re enactment of the Reformation (I have no idea why this exists) and one of them portrayed AB and wrote a post about her Godly virtues complete with photos.

https://botkinsisters.com/2009/07/resurrecting-two-great-queen

The Botkin sisters, both pushing 30 and really attractive, IMO, are the only girls in their family.  Their 5 or so brothers, many of them younger, have all been married off and are reproducing like bunnies while the girls wait at home for their daddy to find them husbands.  However, Daddy seems really creepy.  They used to run a seminar for fundie girls who were to stay at home and wait for husbands rather than go out in the world and do anything else.  At these seminars, there was a lot of creepy Daddy worship where girls were encouraged to massage Daddy's feet and shave him and other icky weird stuff.  It seems pretty clear to me that neither one is going to be meeting Prince Charming as long as Daddy is around and wants a foot rub.

Very interesting thank you! 

Yes the Botkin sisters are attractive. I think the stay at home daughter's phenomenon has 3 major roots (with the fundy framework), 1. The parents want the extra hands to help with those last kids when they are in their later years and tired, additionally having one SAHD means a built in caregiver during your senior years who's utterly devoted to you, 2. The idea that the men HAVE to be married off young or the will burn in the fiery pits of hell being tempted by harlots and fornicating. Women aren't burdened with those desires so the parents keep them at home for the free labor. 3. These fundy dads have a weird pseudo incestous possessive view of their daughters, and are oddly focused on their sexuality so they don't let them marry because they want them to themselves (ewww). 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

It means that they refuse to support themselves and to pay for the proper care of their children.  In fact, Jill R. even states on her blog that she wants you to donate to "support our family", not even the family ministry or mission − just support the family!  (Reminds me of Jill and Derick Dillard asking for donations to buy groceries, gas and health insurance.)  And, of course, they don't believe in evil birth control so they will continue to pop out babies and stash them under the clothing racks in the RV.  I think they should be reported to the authorities.  If I lived anywhere near those places on their events calendar, I would defifnitely phone and report them.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Mollie said:

I couldn't make it past the girl with braces wearing a strange 80s "Dallas" outfit .

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

That's the Nonna on a Cruise ship in 1988 outfit! That kid is really scary. Fundie Squeaky Frome scary. 

The clothing is the least of the problems that the Rodriguez kids face.  I am sure Jill gets their clothing as freebies from churches they visit and the reason they dress like Nonna is because they are wearing the clothes her family donated when she passed away.  Jill's insistence in putting them into 'matching' outfits supposedly coordinated by color only emphasizes how ugly most of their clothing really is.

I know we've had ongoing discussions about fundie fashion and how awful most of these people look; but, for an example of attractive, sorta stylish fundiewear, take a look at the Botkin sisters and the rest of the family on their blog.  Of course, part of it is because these folks have managed to merchandise themselves into the middle class and probably purchase their own brand new clothing; but they also find attractive stuff that fits them.  The sisters have actually done a webinar for fundie girls on how to find modest, but nice clothing on a budget.  And, despite their fundieness, if you scroll through the blog over time, you'll notice that more than a couple have gotten hair transplants and/or nose jobs for Jesus. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Fuzzysox said:

Hmm rental home they could no longer pay for and got kicked out of? Jill has internet but her kids go hungry on the stink bus. Makes perfect sense.

Not to mention the fact that the kids are homeschooled, which means noschooled.

• Love 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Not to mention the fact that the kids are homeschooled, which means noschooled.

There ain't no homefoolin' going on because Jill is sooooo busy going to meetings aka grifting for places for her kids to sing for their supper. I can't imagine not one of those kids wanting to escape once they have a good meal to give them the strength to RUN!!

Angry Olivia could be writing a book if only she was taught to spell. lol

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Hmm rental home they could no longer pay for and got kicked out of? Jill has internet but her kids go hungry on the stink bus. Makes perfect sense.

What is really tragic is that both parents have job skills.  Jill claims to have studied cosmetology and was licensed at one point.  It's pretty obvious that she hasn't kept up with any trends since high school and hasn't kept up her license; but she could have and then she could've worked at least part time to help support the family.  Then, David is trained as a printer and worked at real secular printing businesses in the past until he decided that Jesus doesn't want his children to have food, clothing or a decent place to live, but, instead, wants them to travel around begging for donations at churches and printing Bible tracts in their garage.  BTW, there are examples of the tracts they've designed and printed on the blog and it is obvious why that business isn't enough to support them.

Jill not only has internet, she buys hairspray and eye makeup by the case and gets acrylic nails for herself.  She also must run through several curling irons a month based on usage.  Their priorities are appalling.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

To be fair, the DO have a house now. Jill wrote that "2 year" post before they got grifted it. There's a YouTube video that tours the house made in between last year's bus tour and this one. The woman's middle name should be Tcotchke. There is tacky 80's thrift store stuff EVERYWHERE. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

To be fair, the DO have a house. Jill wrote that before they got grifted it. There's a YouTube video that tours the house made in between last year's bus tour and this one. The woman's middle name should be Tcotchke. There is tacky 80's thrift store stuff EVERYWHERE. 

I've seen the video of Grandma's house that they managed to have put in a will for them (my theory). Do they still have it or did they lose it because of non-payment of a pesky little thing called taxes?

Edited by Fuzzysox
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:
  •  At these seminars, there was a lot of creepy Daddy worship where girls were encouraged to massage Daddy's feet and shave him and other icky weird stuff.  

Ewww, that skeeves me out. It would be one thing to help an elderly or disabled father with grooming needs, but young girls doing that for a fully capable man? These people have no sense of propriety or boundaries.

• Love 5
(edited)

The Botkins were bigshots in Vison Forum for quite some time before Geoff and Dougie got into it (as two guys with massive egos are wont to do). I'd forgotten about the Anne Boelyn stuff, but VF was HUGE into cosplay, so this doesn't surprise me. 

What surprises me is that they think Anne was a Calvinist. I'd think the COE would align closer to Lutherans, given that COE is pretty much Catholic-lite, at least that's what my Episcopalian SIL (raised Lutheran) says. 

Forgot to mention: "Return of the Daughters" has been taken down. This happened fairly recently, but I think it has to do with Kelly Bradrick (Brown) who was featured and is now going through a divorce with 5 or 6 kids for her father to now support. Yes, unlike Anna, she left her cheating husband and went back home with her brood. A failed marriage pretty much tarnishes the image that RotD was selling w/r/t the perfect female life. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Hmm rental home they could no longer pay for and got kicked out of? Jill has internet but her kids go hungry on the stink bus. Makes perfect sense.

We ordered Chinese food tonight for dinner when it occurred to me, the amount ordered for our small family of 3 is probably more food than those poor 12 Rodriquez kids get at any meal, ever, including birthdays, Christmas & Thanksgiving. The parents obviously stuff their faces while the children are 'encouraged' to fast. Encouraged, my ass. Disgusting.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I've seen the video of Grandma's house that they managed to have put in a will for them (my theory). Do they still have it or did they lose it because of non-payment of a pesky little thing called taxes?

They're back in their house right now.  No doubt to make it easier for all those eager suitors to make their interest in Nurie known.

16 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

They're back in their house right now.  No doubt to make it easier for all those eager suitors to make their interest in Nurie known.

Nurie won't turn 18 until April 19th.  But, Jill needs her to move out so Jill can birth more babies and there's no more room in the RV.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

We ordered Chinese food tonight for dinner when it occurred to me, the amount ordered for our small family of 3 is probably more food than those poor 12 Rodriquez kids get at any meal, ever, including birthdays, Christmas & Thanksgiving. The parents obviously stuff their faces while the children are 'encouraged' to fast. Encouraged, my ass. Disgusting.

Since I'm Catholic and we fast (2 days a year: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday), I checked out the US Bishop's guidelines for fasting.  First and foremost, nobody under 18 or over 59 is expected to fast.  Then, pregnant women, those who are nursing, anyone with a medical condition that could be adversely affected (ie diabetics) are also exempt from fasting.  In other words, the only people who should fast are healthy adults.

I know Muslims fast, so I looked for some guidelines.  I found a few different opinions, but the general consensus was that children should not fast before they reach puberty.  It also seems that new moms and pregnant women don't have to fast but it is recommended that they make a donation to feed the poor instead (good idea!).

As a physician, I can tell you that growing children should not fast, ever, except when medically indicated.  And any mother who encourages her young child, who is already underweight and who knows that her kids are already not getting a healthy diet to fast; is a crappy, crappy mom.  Why not encourage the kid to make some other sacrifice?  Of course, those kids have so very little, its hard to figure what 'luxury' they might forego.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 17
(edited)

Found it! The Rodrigueses' biggest grift to date. It's about a year old. eta: I forgot that they had a dog! They can't feed their kids, but they have a dog? And where does it go when they go off in the RV for months at a time? Inquiring minds...

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Mollie said:

Yep.  All of that is in this video.

I think Jill R. needs to quit snorting the hairspray.  It's like the nerve endings in her brain are all stuck together.

0 0 1 Jill R.png

I have the urge to watch Beetlejuice. He might be saner and less opportunistic.

• Love 6
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Found it! The Rodrigueses' biggest grift to date. It's about a year old. eta: I forgot that they had a dog! They can't feed their kids, but they have a dog? And where does it go when they go off in the RV for months at a time? Inquiring minds...

I believe Kelly's parents are living in the RV on their land now, and, when the Rodriguii hit the road, Mom and Dad move into the house and take care of the dog.  Watched part of the new house video.  What a strange and inconvenient layout!  Walk in the front door and into a small foyer with two staircases; one to an upper level, the other down.  Who came up with that brilliant floorplan?  The décor, 1980's Krappy Kountry Kitsch kind of goes with Kelly and the girls' hairdos; they are stuck in a time warp.  I noticed one of the teens playing with an Etch-A-Sketch.  I don't think I've even seen anyone over the age of 10 doing that.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

What a strange and inconvenient layout!  Walk in the front door and into a small foyer with two staircases; one to an upper level, the other down.  Who came up with that brilliant floorplan? 

That's a classic split-level! And it is a strange architectural design, but there a lot of split-levels around my area. I lived in one, built in 1976, for about 18 years, but we almost never used the front door where you were confronted with the 2 staircases. Instead our driveway took us up to the back of the house (the "upstairs") where we used a door up there.

• Love 4