Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Selling insurance to people who believe prayer solves everything sounds tougher than saving souls in a Walmart parking lot. Whose idea was this job? Heidi's parents'? Have Jill and David bought a policy? Jill probably does better shilling Plexus than Tim could ever do with insurance. 

• Like 7
(edited)

It seems like his leads would be the his church and mama's downline. If he can't sell it to them, there is not much hope selling it to strangers in a coffee shop.

I did note in Jill's latest Plexus points challenge Nurie's friend from the tea party pics has joined the downline.🙄

I wonder if she got the nephew's wife to sign up under Kaylee when they visited the barndo.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I did note in Jill's latest Plexus points challenge Nurie's friend from the tea party pics has joined the downline.🙄

I wonder if she got the nephew's wife to sign up under Kaylee when they visited the barndo.

In so many ways, associating with the Rodrigueses can be costly. The Rods expect people to provide them money, gifts, restaurant meals, shopping trips, entertainment, and, apparently, to sign up to buy and sell overpriced vitamin drinks and questionable insurance policies. I don't think much flows from the Rods to others except headache-inducing singing and the occasional beige dinner of tiny portions. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1

What do you all think would happen if one of the unmarried Rodrigues daughters expressed an interest in cosmetology?  Would she be allowed to go to beauty school? (Sorry if that's not the correct terminology.  I think of Frankie Avalon singing "Beauty School Dropout"!)

I guess Jill must have gone to school to become licensed.  But would they risk letting their daughters attend such a worldly institution?  

Other than the education required it seems like it could be a good source of income for a young fundie woman.  Put a salon chair in a corner of the garage, et voila, you're working from home.  She could even screen her clientele so as to not offend her conscience (short hair styles, touching men, etc.)

• Like 10
  • Useful 3
43 minutes ago, Weavertoo said:

What do you all think would happen if one of the unmarried Rodrigues daughters expressed an interest in cosmetology?  Would she be allowed to go to beauty school? (Sorry if that's not the correct terminology.  I think of Frankie Avalon singing "Beauty School Dropout"!)

I guess Jill must have gone to school to become licensed.  But would they risk letting their daughters attend such a worldly institution?  

Other than the education required it seems like it could be a good source of income for a young fundie woman.  Put a salon chair in a corner of the garage, et voila, you're working from home.  She could even screen her clientele so as to not offend her conscience (short hair styles, touching men, etc.)

If I'm not mistaken, Jill did some sort of correspondence course, she didn't attend a regular school of cosmetology.  And, since she considers herself to be highly skilled in that area; I am sure she'd find an online course if one of the kids (girls only in this family) expressed an interest and take it upon herself to supervise their studies.  Just like the online Bible studies the older girls did a couple years ago.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 7

Cosmetology by correspondence sounds pretty sketchy to me.  I want anyone working on my hair to have had plenty of hands on experience, under the supervision of a real teacher!  Online education is great for some things, I wouldn't consider this to be one of them. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 7
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Weavertoo said:

Cosmetology by correspondence sounds pretty sketchy to me.  I want anyone working on my hair to have had plenty of hands on experience, under the supervision of a real teacher!  Online education is great for some things, I wouldn't consider this to be one of them. 

Pretty much sums up Jill's skills as a cosmetologist, doesn't it?

They were one of the pioneering home schoolers back in the 80’s and they did a great job!  They home schooled their girls until graduation.  During Jill’s junior and senior year of high-school, she worked hard and also obtained a cosmetology license.

This is from the Rodrigues family blog.  They specifically say she was home schooled.  If you search, you'll find there are multiple places that offer online training in cosmetology.

Edited by Notabug
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 6

Jill seems to continue this pattern with both the home school for her children and them learning things online.

She has mentioned and shown several times about the kids learning their musical instruments via videos.

Nurie graduated homeschool and Jill posted while Nurie was waiting for a husband, besides cooking and helping with homeschool, Nurie had decided to learn to sew. Jill describes how Nurie spent hours and hours watching youtube videos trying to learn to sew.

Nurie and Kaylee graduated the Ripley Bible program only because the place recorded all the lessons on mp3 or something and sent them to them.

Phillip left 2 bible colleges God led him to that were perfect and now he is doing an online course.

As far as cosmetology online for Jill. I just see her sitting in her room with one of those Barbie Doll styling heads for practice.

I will say whoever is cutting the hair for the guys now is not trained in any way. Their cuts are so unever.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Weavertoo said:

🎶beauty school dropout.     Go Back to high school 🎶

Edited by dariafan
Autocorrect HATES me
  • LOL 6
53 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I doubt that Jill did classes online. No way the Noyses had dial up Internet in 1997. If she didn't do it in person, she was learning with books and pictures. 

true.

I meant correspondence course and the barbie doll make up toy at home.

Just picturing that scenario would explain so much about Jill's hair styling and applying makeup. 🤣

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

I don’t know how to copy part of a FB post over  to here.   Jill posted a long diatribe about how kids shouldn’t blame their parents.  As part of it, she talks about David not  having grown up in a Christian home.  He grew up around swearing, public school, alcohol and his dad committed suicide.  I really wish she’d learn that people in many Christian homes often swear, send their kids to public school and enjoy alcohol in moderation.   And no family is  immune to suicide. 

I’m also wondering if someone in her circle isn’t happy with their parents either. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 11
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Hair and make-up competitions? I never heard of them. Is this a country fair type of thing? I can't imagine Jill competing in any elite type of competition.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I doubt that Jill did classes online. No way the Noyses had dial up Internet in 1997. If she didn't do it in person, she was learning with books and pictures. 

I agree, but, being the dinosaur I am; I remember what we used to call 'correspondence courses'.  Sign up via snail mail and send the fees and you get the curriculum, usually books and manuals with photos as you say.  Then, she would take the written test enclosed with the materials and mail it back and receive her certificate.

Cosmetology does require state licensure, but I don't think most, if any, require documentation of hands-on experience.  Mostly, students are tested on health and safety regulations.

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Jill really can’t stand Dave’s mom. Oof

I suspect the feeling is mutual 😏

• Like 7
  • LOL 10
29 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Hair and make-up competitions? I never heard of them. Is this a country fair type of thing? I can't imagine Jill competing in any elite type of competition.

I used to go to a salon where the owner competed in this stuff.  It was often sponsored by manufacturers of the various products and looked for specific skills like hair coloring, specific cuts, etc.

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

From an article about Jill’s family;

622CB3B4-B6EC-4AF7-83B9-1477D6749F60.jpeg

BOCES is a vocational training program sponsored by the state of New York, where Jill grew up.  It's similar to other vocational education programs offered by high schools in stuff like auto mechanics, child care, etc.   So, Jill maty have been permitted to go to in-person classes at the high school in cosmetology, where, back in those days, male students were probably not enrolled.  I wonder if Jill was required to drag one of her sisters along to class to monitor her as Nurie and Renee did at Bible class.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

After getting her license, Jill worked at a small salon run by one of her aunts. 

I don't think it lasted long. Jill became old enough to get married and be a happy homemaker. David was her choice. Jill probably went in with the idea she'd never have to work for money again. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

And now Jill is reminding us that it’s been the 9th anniversary of the tragic accident that left Amy a quadriplegic. BECAUSE they were coming to visit JILL (and the rest of the family). Really, is this something Jill needs to post? Or even dwell on?! How about posting about how well Amy is doing? Or even better how much prettier she is than Jill. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I don’t know how to copy part of a FB post over  to here.   Jill posted a long diatribe about how kids shouldn’t blame their parents.  As part of it, she talks about David not  having grown up in a Christian home.  He grew up around swearing, public school, alcohol and his dad committed suicide.  I really wish she’d learn that people in many Christian homes often swear, send their kids to public school and enjoy alcohol in moderation.   And no family is  immune to suicide. 

I’m also wondering if someone in her circle isn’t happy with their parents either. 

Isn’t David’s mom still alive? So disrespectful.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

Have we ever seen Jill play the banjo, piano or the autoharp?

Thankfully not in person, but yes to all of these and we can add the accordion and the ironing board of cowbells to the list. 🤣

• Like 4
  • LOL 12
5 hours ago, AstridM said:

Isn’t David’s mom still alive? So disrespectful.

I'm pretty sure she is.  She has turned up at the weddings and they've gone to New York state to visit in the past couple years.

And, every single time, Jill reminds us all of the ungodly home where David was raised.  His father drank alcohol!  His mother wasn't the right kind of Christian!

Some of what she has posted implies that David's father was an alcoholic in which case, he did have it rough as a kid. However, Jill's main complaint about her in-laws is that they don't believe exactly as she does and don't follow her rules for Christian living.  Actually, that is Jill's problem with everyone.  If they don't live as she does, they are persecuting her.

• Like 18
  • Sad 3
(edited)

David's mom was shown visiting this past christmas at the barndo. She brought the children some nice gifts.

David's mom once posted a recipe for mimosas on FB so yeah Jill is not going to encourage her kids to be close to David's mom.

side note - she has the exact tooth gap david and phillip have between the upper front teeth.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, dariafan said:

🎶beauty school dropout.     Go Back to high school 🎶

no customers would goto you, unless she was a hooker! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

oh my f***ing god jill has posted video of the eclipse, they have a few pairs of the glasses. But one girl complains the glasses make it too dark and then Gabriel holds the glasses and exclaims now you can see it with your own eyes!" and they all stare up. Jill says "be careful children and use the glasses" then Jill "you can literally see it with your own eyes" as she films and looks up🤦‍♀️

• Mind Blown 19
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm shocked. I figured she would be all over the conspiracies and whatnot. She was actually excited. 

I'm surprised too. I'm not surprised that they played loose and fast with the glasses. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

Notice an adult male standing in front of the little girls blocking the view lol.

15440361-587B-47AB-BD6E-FD956E3CB086.jpeg

EE2BD382-2791-4D15-B849-A95C5A695621.jpeg

So neat 🙄

Of course she talks about Jebus. Shocked she didn’t say:

8 years ago I sat on a toilet and discovered plexus and an eclips happened. So neat! So blessed I am! 

• LOL 14
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

oh my f***ing god jill has posted video of the eclipse, they have a few pairs of the glasses. But one girl complains the glasses make it too dark and then Gabriel holds the glasses and exclaims now you can see it with your own eyes!" and they all stare up. Jill says "be careful children and use the glasses" then Jill "you can literally see it with your own eyes" as she films and looks up🤦‍♀️

If they go blind: go fund me 

and give us disability you ebil gobment 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Oh man, the "So neat!" in response to the Crucifixion made me lol extra loudly. Hope the neighbours thought I was doing something cooler than following the misadventures of the Rod clan. 

I would assume if Jill did a mail-in correspondence course for cosmetology, that might explain why her style is very much in the late 80s early 90s era. I can see a godly course not being on top of the Rachel, the slicked down bob and the Titanic-era Leo hair for guys. Jill's special style of eyebrows might be 97-ish, though. 

On the other hand, if she did in person classes from a state school, I would have thought her style would have frozen in the mid-nineties, which wouldn't be nearly as...interesting... as most of Jill's hair, make-up and style choices. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 9
56 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Oh man, the "So neat!" in response to the Crucifixion made me lol extra loudly. Hope the neighbours thought I was doing something cooler than following the misadventures of the Rod clan. 

I would assume if Jill did a mail-in correspondence course for cosmetology, that might explain why her style is very much in the late 80s early 90s era. I can see a godly course not being on top of the Rachel, the slicked down bob and the Titanic-era Leo hair for guys. Jill's special style of eyebrows might be 97-ish, though. 

On the other hand, if she did in person classes from a state school, I would have thought her style would have frozen in the mid-nineties, which wouldn't be nearly as...interesting... as most of Jill's hair, make-up and style choices. 

She was trained through a state program. And the way that article was phrased, it sounds like she went in person. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I first heard Holy Thursday referred to as Maundy Thursday in Espicopal/Anglican services.

i attended Catholic schools for 11 years, and have taught First Communion classes for many years.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Agreed, I was just outside of totality (about 95%) and except for the light being slightly dim, you really couldn't see anything without eclipse glasses. (With the glasses it was spectacular). Obviously, I didn't look directly at the sun, but the kind of sideways glimpses you get normally didn't look any different. 

• Like 10

it got about as dark here as it did at Jills...we are a bit southwest of her....all the outside lights came on and the solar sidewalk lights...it was really spooky...

• Like 7

3850A404-69BC-4A07-BA5D-94C8AC472996.jpeg

Do you think she cut their hair 11:40 am or pm? Jill showed off cutting everyone’s hair. 

She posts the most boring/mundane things 

for what reasons I don’t get… 

• LOL 1