Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, becca3891 said:

When I say obsessed, I mean that we take the time to comment about them on a forum. :) I probably should have used a different word but we HAVE discussed Gothard here extensively, which was my point. Most Christians have no idea who he really is. In all their endless sermon, bible and life discussions while courting, there's really no reason why his name should have ever come up. So I very much disagree with you that Gothard is necessarily someone Derick or Jeremy know a lot about. 

Those are exactly my thoughts, too. They can't even speak alone before marriage, so no way the topic of Gthard comes up.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Those are exactly my thoughts, too. They can't even speak alone before marriage, so no way the topic of Gthard comes up.

Remember Babe didn't even seem to know the courting/engagement rules.  He didn't realize they were so strict about hand holding & hugging.  The girls might have mentioned to the guys the family trips to Big Sandy or that they used a certain home school curriculum but don't think they got into the nitty gritty of all things Gothard.  They (the girls) probably don't know it themselves. 

3 hours ago, becca3891 said:

When I say obsessed, I mean that we take the time to comment about them on a forum. :) I probably should have used a different word but we HAVE discussed Gothard here extensively, which was my point. Most Christians have no idea who he really is. In all their endless sermon, bible and life discussions while courting, there's really no reason why his name should have ever come up. So I very much disagree with you that Gothard is necessarily someone Derick or Jeremy know a lot about. 

Oops, my quotes got mixed up. 

• Love 5

Holy crap! Esther's back from Zambia! From his FB posting, it appears he stayed in Africa.  But, how on earth did they pay for the plane tickets? John always posts like they're just on this side of starvation, although it might explain how Esther remains so skinny after having TEN KIDS.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
On 11/24/2016 at 6:13 AM, becca3891 said:

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the majority of Christians ( 97-99.5%  probably) have no idea who Gothard is however, I seriously doubt Ben, Derick, or Jeremy can claim ignorance. I think they can feign ignorance for the purposes of all things TLC and making everything seem more palatable but I don't believe for one second that they truly don't know.  JB wouldn't let anyone within 10 feet of courting if they didn't know - and follow - the deal.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Holy crap! Esther's back from Zambia! From his FB posting, it appears he stayed in Africa.  But, how on earth did they pay for the plane tickets? John always posts like they're just on this side of starvation, although it might explain how Esther remains so skinny after having TEN KIDS.

do happy to be able to spend time her family . Less proselytizing more spell/grammar checking please . 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Absolom said:

The baby is really thin also.  I'm thrilled Esther got to visit her family.

Very thin and very odd. It doesn't help that he's dressed like an 80-year-old either. I don't predict a happy future for the little guy. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I never expected to see Esther again. I wonder if she's here to stay or if John's holding the kids hostage so she has to go back. Also, what number baby is that? 

#10, and I'm pretty sure it's a girl with a very obscure Hebrew name.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Isn't that Isaiah born in June?

That's not a 5 month old baby. I'm pretty sure she gave birth in September. 

At any rate, Daniel and Candice were invited (far right). Maybe Suze and Esther stayed behind with the parents? No sign of Rebekah, though. I hope she's not ostracized by her parents due to the divorce. ?

34 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Isaiah Kasimpe Shrader, 8 lbs 6 oz and 21.25 inches born around June 1, 2016.  Sorry. 

Well, as I said, I've been banned from Shrader's page, so I was just going on (obviously faulty) memory. And I still maintain that baby does not look 5 months old. I often think, like the Rodriguii, that the Patriarch is the only one who gets 3 squares a day. 

eta: Anna is lower right. She and Esther are the only ones that look remotely the same. Rebekah is identifiable only by her glasses. Prissy and Suze are unrecognizable. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

This post disappeared! I wanted to point out that brother Daniel, wife Candice, and son are not present in any pictures. Also unaccounted for at the Kellers' this week is Rebekah. I wonder if the parents had the gall to ostracize her due to the divorce? 

Edited by Sew Sumi

I've commented that I think the child is very thin.  I would not be happy if that were a five month old related to me.  He reminds me of Chloe Anderson.  I fear they've both been deprived.

I don't think Rebekah is ostracized.  She was in the grandma's funeral photo.  Perhaps she had other reasons for not making the trip or not being in that photo.  Maybe she was with Esther.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I've commented that I think the child is very thin.  I would not be happy if that were a five month old related to me.  He reminds me of Chloe Anderson.  I fear they've both been deprived.

I don't think Rebekah is ostracized.  She was in the grandma's funeral photo.  Perhaps she had other reasons for not making the trip or not being in that photo.  Maybe she was with Esther.

That's Esther in the last picture. Daniel is NOT accounted for in any of the Kellers' pictures this week (that's either Nathan or David behind Esther - sorry, they're interchangable to me - the other one is in the front next to Anna). I edited my post to reflect that Daniel was missing, but both this board and my laptop are VERY glitchy right now. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

Daniel was the brother who wanted to help Anna leave Smuggar, which is probably why he isn't with the family at Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know the names & ages of Esther's children? They look pretty close in age, if she throws a couple of twins in there, she'll beat Michelle to 20 faster than any of the Duggar kids will.

• Love 1

Rebekah is divorced, and AFAIK, hasn't remarried. Esther coming home is a HUGE deal, and back when Anna was pregnant with Mack, the sisters were close. Suze was there earlier in the week, but has moved back to FL not too too far from the family with her live-in BF. Now, I think SHE was with his family. Daniel moved to SC to be close to Candice's family; I'm sure they see each other often. That's why this is a bit suspect. 

• Love 1
On 11/25/2016 at 6:33 AM, Defrauder said:

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the majority of Christians ( 97-99.5%  probably) have no idea who Gothard is however, I seriously doubt Ben, Derick, or Jeremy can claim ignorance. I think they can feign ignorance for the purposes of all things TLC and making everything seem more palatable but I don't believe for one second that they truly don't know.  JB wouldn't let anyone within 10 feet of courting if they didn't know - and follow - the deal.  

I understand what you're saying, too. And I think the JB of 6-8 years ago never would have approved a non Gothard guy, but he had to make allowances when the ratings began to fall. His now famous 50 page document/quiz for prospective Duggar girl courters no doubt did include many Gothard-approved buzzwords and concepts, asking them if they'd be willing to consider living debt free and trusting god with the size of their family, etcetera, but I still am not convinced they really know the full deal about Gothard. He had already stepped down before Jeremy entered the picture, for a start, and as far as we know Jeremy never attended a conference. The biggest thing the Duggar parents and children talk about wanting is a "godly" spouse who of course embraces the fundie plan of salvation and has a "ministry mindset." Still, we'll probably never know for sure just how much the spouses did/do know.

10 hours ago, louannems said:

Which one is Anna?

Ma Keller really needed a better hair style!  No one needs to appear that unfortunate!

Anna is on the lower right. I didn't see it labeled anywhere; I just tend to have a knack for recognizing people's younger selves in photos. And haha, yes, Ma Keller's hair, glasses and fashion choices have always been quite something! She always reminds me of the women in the fundamentalist Latter Day Saints cult.

• Love 3

Even if potential suitors know of Gothard, they may not know of the true scum that he is. I doubt they would have any reason to Google Gothard and many religions/cults protect/deny the wrong doings of folks within their belief system.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Even if potential suitors know of Gothard, they may not know of the true scum that he is. I doubt they would have any reason to Google Gothard and many religions/cults protect/deny the wrong doings of folks within their belief system.

This - plus they may think the girl will leave and cleave, and take on her husband's family's beliefs.

also, I personally know scads of people who refuse to believe the Duggars aren't just an old fashioned, Godfearing family. They insist it isn't a cult and haters just need to pick up their bibles to see this,  bc the Duggars quote a scripture. Michelle is right up there with The Virgin Mary herself, and Josh repented. We should all send them love offerings right now to keep a wholesome family on teevee.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

This - plus they may think the girl will leave and cleave, and take on her husband's family's beliefs.

also, I personally know scadsbod people who refuse to believe the Duggars aren't just an old fashioned, Godfearing family. They insist it isn't a cult and hates just need to pick up their bibles to see this,  bc the Duggars quote a scripture. Michelle is right up there with The Virin Mary herself and Josh repented. We should all send them love offerings right now to keep a wholesome family on teevee

The best way to try to keep order is to subdue individual potential. This is a dangerous move backwards, and it disturbs me that the Duggs are honored for their contribution. History does not support backwardness, but it's hard to have a perspective in the moment. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

also, I personally know scads of people who refuse to believe the Duggars aren't just an old fashioned, Godfearing family. They insist it isn't a cult and haters just need to pick up their bibles to see this,  bc the Duggars quote a scripture. Michelle is right up there with The Virgin Mary herself, and Josh repented. We should all send them love offerings right now to keep a wholesome family on teevee.

I've noticed this too.

I had several family members/friends who never watched the show or really knew anything about them other than they were Christian and had a large family. Whenever the Duggar scandals started to break, they hadn't bothered to read or research anything, so their knee-jerk reaction was "That poor family." I had to basically beat them over the head with examples, police reports, and research before they finally conceded that the family was way creepier than they had assumed. 

• Love 5

I'm banned from Whitney's page (still haven't figured out why), but Zach posted something fire-related. 

It's about 70 miles from them, in the town where the younger Bateses all seem to go to lose their virginity. I hope that place has been spared. 

eta: Things can't be that bad. Pizza party at Erin's! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

I'm banned too, but I know why:-))

That pizza looks yummy, what is all that orange stuff though?

Cannot stand Lawson, his smugness, hypocricy and whatnot gets on my last nerve. Carlin's rather a show off as well.

Why is he wearing those gigantic headhphones when he is with company?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I'm banned too, but I know why:-))

That pizza looks yummy, what is all that orange stuff though?

Cannot stand Lawson, his smugness, hypocricy and whatnot gets on my last nerve. Carlin's rather a show off as well.

Why is he wearing those gigantic headhphones when he is with company?

Because he's a musician.  And musicians always have something to signify their trade on them ... right?  /snark

ETA: The orange stuff looks like chicken of some nature, probably pre-packaged barbeque or Buffalo flavor.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1

Most of the Bates children seem somewhat like show offs to me.  Some of them may be more quiet about it than others.  Plus the children like to all talk at once.  That house would probably drive me crazy.  Still they are allowed more personality than the Duggar kids.

• Love 6
On 11/21/2016 at 8:49 AM, Defrauder said:

It would not surprise me if there is some secret fundie courtship ritual group meeting somewhere where they(the fathers of course) determine who goes with who and when.  It would horrify me yes, but would not surprise me.

There is...and these folks apparently meet semi-regularly.

http://letthemmarry.org/

Sad news. It looks as if the cute rustic hotel where the Bates kids have gone to lose their virginity before heading off on their respective honeymoons was gutted by the Gatlinburg fire. I recognized it on the Weather Channel this morning.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sad news. It looks as if the cute rustic hotel where the Bates kids have gone to lose their virginity before heading off on their respective honeymoons was gutted by the Gatlinburg fire. I recognized it on the Weather Channel this morning.

That is so sad. The fires there are devastating.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lawson, or rather UP, is having a free "concert" in Mt. Airy, NC on 12/13. Who is in the area and willing to take one for the team? ?

Oh give it up and get a real job. Or take some clothes off. 

• Love 13