Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ugh, don't give Lily and Ellie any hits. 

Look at this instead. Kaci was born last night (6/20) at 10:32PM, weighed 7lb.8oz., and was 21.5" long. 

That is one beautiful family.  That little boy may be the cutest male child I've ever seen, and Whit is gorgeous and glowing.  She certainly doesn't look like she just had a baby!  I wish them the best.

• Love 4
On June 19, 2016 at 1:40 PM, BradandJanet said:

Why is cowboys capitalized? At first, I thought they were going to a football game.

I suppose Pris plans to homeschool. Another generation lost.

Yes, she'll homeschool even though it's doubtful she could pass 4th grade.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I would be slightly ticked at God if He laid it on my dad's heart that any of these spouses were "the one" for me. It would hurt my feelings. David Waller? How about Neil DeGrasse Tyson or John Oliver or Paul Allen? You knew, someone with a brain and maybe some dough. 

God doesn't approve of brains. He only gave them to us to trick us into using them instead of relying on the pronouncements of his spokesmen on earth like Bill Gothard, Doug Phillips, JIm Bob Duggar ....

• Love 10
On June 20, 2016 at 10:26 AM, BitterApple said:

Ma and Pa Keller must be in panic mode right now. Out of eight children, three daughters are in disastrous marriages, one was an unwed mother, and three of the eight have left the cult. No wonder those two younger boys are handcuffed to the Waller Homestead. Mr. Keller is batting well below .500 on the Gothard Model for Successful Families scale. The Bateses seem to be the only ones functioning well.

The Bateses seem to have a little more success with this since their marrieds have actually launched. Aaaaaaand they don't  interfere in the lives of their marrieds.

• Love 2

And today, Kelly could say, "Hey Duggars, I'll see your courtship and raise you one grandblessing!" 

The Bateses will likely pass the Duggars in that category next year and have done it in far less time. Michael's been married 9 months with no pregnancy announcement, and Alyssa? Well, she is due to announce a blessing any time now that Allie is over a year old. 

• Love 2

In the past week, there have been a few announcements about reeling this topic back to it's original intention, which is to discuss people that were on the show with the Duggars. Please take discussion of families/preachers that were not on the shows to another site. This includes Maxwells and Rodriguez. It has no place here. Posts have been removed.

• Love 2

I don't think Erin & Chad will stop at two. I've seen no evidence to suggest they are open to using birth control, natural or not.  

Right now I think Alyssa is the only one who will consciously limit the size of her family, because she's stated that she doesn't want as many kids as her parents.  

(edited)

I want to believe Erin will do the smart thing and limit her family size, but I doubt it. Brooklyn was a "surprise" so while she may not have been actively trying to get pregnant, she certainly wasn't doing anything to prevent it either. Pretty foolish considering she was fresh off a draining, high risk pregnancy with Carson. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

How many heparin-fueled pregnancies will Chad 's health insurance allow? Companies surely won't keep paying out for a baby every year, which given Erin's seemingly super-fertility, is a possibility.

• Love 2
On 6/21/2016 at 7:08 AM, MunichNark said:

So it's close enough to big cities? But you'd need to drive there first, right? So any real cultural things and shopping would be an effort. I don't see young Nathan wanting to expand his horizons that much, tbh. Why doesn't he move to New York and experience a different lifestyle?

Not sure how much more of an effort 30 minutes of driving would be than whatever time she'd spend driving/cabbing/subway riding to whatever activity she wanted to do in NYC. 

I live 30 minutes outside of a city and it's no real effort to hit downtown for the local farmer's market, a concert, or a movie. I do it most weekends in fact. Many of the folks in my area do because city housing is so costly. 30 minutes really isn't a big deal unless you're used to living within walking distance of all those amenities. Most people don't.

Nathan seemed willing enough to expand his horizons but he's pretty clear that he likes life in the country, that that's where he belongs. And if he's in the tree business it's a good location for him too. He could give a little and move closer in so Ashley wouldn't have to drive more than 5 or 10 minutes to the nearest coffee shop, but she may want to be right in town.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry she feels this way. Her account probably has the least snark on it of any that I follow, and the "negativity" usually comes from people criticizing her dress. eta: I could have done without the "fans" bit, though. It shows that she does have an ego about her place on the TV show. But hey, Famy does the same thing, and she was only a bit player who got a two episode spinoff. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sorry she feels this way. Her account probably has the least snark on it of any that I follow, and the "negativity" usually comes from people criticizing her dress. eta: I could have done without the "fans" bit, though. It shows that she does have an ego about her place on the TV show. But hey, Famy does the same thing, and she was only a bit player who got a two episode spinoff. 

She gets negativity from both sides. She's been slammed for dressing immodestly and that she was abandoning her family values. Then the people who do support her life style changes have inferred or directly stated her family is part of a cult. The worst I've seen on her account was about Allie Jane. People commented about how AJ never smiles and said she should have her tested for autism. That's bordering on cruel. It was smart to get off social media if it was affecting her real life. 

I was also taken a little aback by the "fans" comment.  

ETA: I think her final straw was that she received backlash for shilling a diet tea product. I kind of side eyed those instagram photos, but it was a genuinely negative response.  

Erin has kind of mastered responding to negativity.  Whenever she responds with "have a blessed day" I just imagine her saying FU. 

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 3

I don't blame Alyssa though. I get pissed reading some FB posts that aren't even directed at me. At least a couple times a year, more often during election years, I feel like I wanna close up shop. But I don't because of the few folks who live far, and we connect way more often on FB than we would with out it.

But couldn't she just make it private? Or was it more to help the family keep relevant?

• Love 1

Alyssa's post is exactly why I don't participate in social media.  All you have to do us post one thing that someone does not like and you are electronically eviscerated.  A good many people who use SM put themselves out there and way too much of themselves in most cases. Too much out there for stalkers, phishers, and unhinged looneys to use for my liking or peace of mind.

Most celebs just post and run. I follow a range of celebs from sports stars (baseball, basketball, football, tennis, figure skating, you name it) to drag queens. None of them ever respond to posts, and with some of the hot female athletes, the guys can post some very raunchy shit. 

The problem with many of the Duggars and Bateses on social media is that they think they can control their fans and critics (and fans who end up being critics). I guess if you're Jessa or Lawson and have nothing better to do, you can throw down the banhammer, but most celebs don't have that kind of time to spare; they're actually out doing stuff. I'm sorry that people said that stuff about Allie Jane, but Alyssa really brought this on herself by starting the fan account. 

• Love 2

I can relate to her shutting it down. "Fame" is nerve wrecking and dealing with fans and deranged people isn't easy. I'm always marvelling at the stuff people will throw at any "celebrity". Some just don't know the limits.

I've been running an authorised FB Fanpage for 6 years now, and I notice my patience level taking a rapid nosedive with any stupidity or nastiness.

On a sidenote, didn't the Maxhells appear on a Duggar episode?

10 hours ago, Clemgo3165 said:

Not sure how much more of an effort 30 minutes of driving would be than whatever time she'd spend driving/cabbing/subway riding to whatever activity she wanted to do in NYC. 

I live 30 minutes outside of a city and it's no real effort to hit downtown for the local farmer's market, a concert, or a movie. I do it most weekends in fact. Many of the folks in my area do because city housing is so costly. 30 minutes really isn't a big deal unless you're used to living within walking distance of all those amenities. Most people don't.

Nathan seemed willing enough to expand his horizons but he's pretty clear that he likes life in the country, that that's where he belongs. And if he's in the tree business it's a good location for him too. He could give a little and move closer in so Ashley wouldn't have to drive more than 5 or 10 minutes to the nearest coffee shop, but she may want to be right in town.

Ah, ok, 30 mins isn't THAT far I suppose, but still, it's an effort. In 30 mins you could cross the entire town of Munich on public transport:-)) We do have different notions of travelling here.

Time will tell I suppose. They still seem to be together at the moment

5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I was only wondering since they seem to be off topic here now

Maxwells and Rodriguii and any other family not actually appearing on the show are now off limits, per the mods. I know the latter has never appeared with the Duggs and I never saw the former on their show, either. Since the forum is about theTV show based on the  Duggars and their extended family, we've been asked to limit it to such. It's a TV forum at the end of the day, but we still have plenty of latitude to enjoy ourselves. After all, the Duggars provide us with plenty of snark fodder by default...hell, the comedy basically writes itself. Jim Boob and Joshley are always in need of a whack of Die Toilettenfrau's toilet brush.

Spouses, courtships, and extended family are fair game.  Sierra's dreadful catering can be snarked upon since she actually appears on the show and will no doubt be "catering" Jinger's wedding as well. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Ah, ok, 30 mins isn't THAT far I suppose, but still, it's an effort. In 30 mins you could cross the entire town of Munich on public transport:-)) We do have different notions of travelling here.

Time will tell I suppose. They still seem to be together at the moment

I've never been to Munich, so that's good to know. 

I think it's all relative to be honest. When I was growing up we lived in a city and the drive to my grandmother's house was 2.5 hours. We would go on a Friday and stay two nights to make it worth such a "long" trip. Then we moved to a very rural area in another state and would easily drive the same 2.5 hours just to go clothes shopping and return the same day. There were no malls or shopping centers in our small town. Our perspective shifted based on geography.

Where I am now people think nothing of commuting 40-45 minutes one way to go to work or come to town. Once you've done it enough times it really doesn't feel like an effort, it's just part of the day. 

• Love 2

As far as Erin goes, I get the feeling that this pregnancy was totally a surprise.  From various instagram posts since she announced the pregnancy, she seems to have that wistful, slightly guilty, feeling that Carson is still so small and soon she won't be able to give him all her attention.  Maybe I am just reading that into her posts, but I remember that feeling, and my kids were a full 2 years apart.

On a more shallow note, their house is so tiny, and Erin is a bit "princessy".  I just can't see her happily cramming tons of kids in that small space.

And of course, Chad does worship the ground she walks on.  I honestly can't see him endangering his wife's health willingly.  She is only 25- they can easily wait a few years and then try for another if they choose.

Good for Alyssa.  I never scrolled through the comments, but did notice that the tummy tea post disappeared quickly, and the endless speculation about another pregnancy must have been annoying.  I had no idea people were speculating about her little girl being autistic.  That's just wrong.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Maxwells were in the Josiah graduation episode, so they have been on the show 

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Weren't the Rodriguii in one of the front pews of a Duggar wedding?

Rats! I know I saw all the weddings, but I don't remember the Rodriguii and I know I saw Josiah's graduation but I don't remember seeing the Maxwells.  Did they make a big deal about who they were or were they just part of the crowd of 1000 of their closest friends that Fundys feel obliged to invite everywhere? 

Terrified and Steve were in the front row, so they were apparently IMPORTANT guests! I almost fell off the couch when I saw them, because they never mentioned this trip on their blog. 

I have seen David Rod's fat head in the background of one of the Bateses' weddings, Erin's I think, but don't remember seeing then ON TV at either Jessa's or Jinger's shindigs, although Jill regaled us with pictures of her with various horrified-looking Duggars either on her FB or blog. 

I think the Maxwells are fair game here; Steve had to sign a release to have his mug shown on TV. I remember thinking how strange it was to have them there, since Mechelle hasn't used the Maxwell chore packs since Jackson and Hannie were itty-bitties. The Duggars abandoned those years before Josiah's graduation. 

This is clarification for the announcement from earlier this week. Talking about the Maxwells/Rodriguez etc when they were on the show is fine. Researching every blog post to pick apart, and by extension essentially bash, religion and their lives in general, is not permitted in the Sweet Fellowship, Gimme Old Time Religion or anywhere on this site. This was discussed not just between the mods here, but also the mods of the site. It veers too far into discussing religion and politics and has made this way past talking about what happens on the show and bit of tangential conversation. We let it go too far, and we're reeling it back in. The Wide Wide World of Web (cookies for who gets that) is a huuuuge place, with lots of places to take such detailed discussions.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Okay, obviously this is the inquisitr, so take with about a million grains of salt.

but I found this, saying that Nathan and Ashley seek courtship counseling from Kelly Jo and Gil Bates.

Yes, by all means get sex and relationship counseling from someone who helped facilitate Gothard's sick and evil activities with vulnerable teenagers. And Nathan loves Ashley "as she is" and doesn't want her "to change" but thinks maybe God doesn't want them to get married? I guess that makes Nathan an apostate who believes that God supports compatibility between married couples. Pretty un-Christian there, Nathan. The Real God wants you to marry someone you don't get along with as a way of spreading peace on Earth. Or something. What was that again, Bin?

• Love 10

Yeah, wouldn't it make sense to get relationship counseling from an objective third party? 

I will say, I give both Nathan and Ashley credit for being honest about their doubts. It's much better to part ways when you realize there's a compatibility issue, rather than marry and regret it later (looking at you, Derick/Jill/Jessa/Bin/Jinger/Jeremy). 

I mean, Bin pretty much admitted he and Jessa have nothing in common, but it's okay because she's hot and loves God. If Nathan and Ashley do break up, I think they'll still remain friends. It seems like the hesitation is mutual, rather than one person getting dumped with hurt feelings all around.

• Love 1

That was filmed last winter, and while my DVR cut off and I couldn't watch the pivotal scene again, they said they were praying about it. They were still together at the ATI camp in Big Sandy in late April. She apparently road tripped back home (at least part of the way) with Bateseseseses through Georgia, seen on her social media. No pics with Nate though, but I imagine that's calculated for the drama. 

I bet they're still together. 

From the article

Much like Nathan, Tori has been very honest about her courtship with Bobby noting that it may or may not last. Instead, it seems that both of the Bates pairs are focusing on learning more about their potential partner and determining if marriage is in their near future.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3223391/bringing-up-bates-courtship-update-nathan-bates-and-ashley-salyer-seek-advice/#CtKX85fq09cUi7Xb.99

So really, they're dating. They don't know if it's going to last, but it may. In the real world, they're dating.

• Love 7

I was looking at the Bates Family Instagram and came across a comment left underneath a recent picture of Tori and Bobby. The person wrote she wants to be happy for Tori but she can't because she knows the "real" Bobby. She didn't clarify when someone questioned her, but I thought that was interesting. 

1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

I was looking at the Bates Family Instagram and came across a comment left underneath a recent picture of Tori and Bobby. The person wrote she wants to be happy for Tori but she can't because she knows the "real" Bobby. She didn't clarify when someone questioned her, but I thought that was interesting. 

Possibly a troll? I hate that kind of hit-and-run posting. 

4 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Possibly a troll? I hate that kind of hit-and-run posting. 

It wouldn't surprise me, but I just love the idea of squeaky clean Fundies with dark secrets. Providing it doesn't involve abuse of young girls, of course.

• Love 1