Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Oh great come for the music get sucked into a prayer.  

I REALLY want to know what people who attended this concert had to say -- who are NOT Jill's suck up buddies (why do people suck up to her?  She has nothing to offer, she's a taker).

• Like 2
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It’s odd for Jill to post about something in real time, and to promote it in advance.

Yes, I wonder why? She obviously wanted a crowd. Was it a contest? Was it covered by the news. Was she hoping UP or TLC would see it somehow?

Something was definitely up though.

• Like 6

I believe they performed this in violation of a copyright held on the music.

if i find that to be true, i will report them.

interesting jill goes on and on about "modern" this and "modern" that, old hymns are the only real music and then performs this in public.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 6
4 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Were they nervous? Or did they just not give an F and were forced to do it anyway? 

They were nervous because BME would undoubtedly rip them a new one if they messed up, same reason they seem so shaky when she shoves a camera in their faces.  The fact that they don't have any real musical talent and probably don't rehearse enough would also cause some anxiety, I expect.

• Sad 12
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh great come for the music get sucked into a prayer.  

I REALLY want to know what people who attended this concert had to say -- who are NOT Jill's suck up buddies (why do people suck up to her?  She has nothing to offer, she's a taker).

It will be interesting to see if they are invited to take part in it next year.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

It will be interesting to see if they are invited to take part in it next year.

Berlin is a tiny little rural town, it is in the heart of Amish country.  People living there tend to have been there for generations and most are active in very conservative churches.  Family singing groups performing old religious hymns is probably a staple of those kinds of public events. No one would bat an eye at the Rods, they probably weren't the only ones performing that sort of music that day. 

The main business in the area, other than agriculture, is Amish country tourism.  The locals put on these kinds of events to entertain the masses who want to see how the Amish live, even though the Amish wouldn't be caught dead performing for the public.  The Rods would be considered 'good old fashioned entertainment' by the tourism industry, the sort of stuff people expect to see in Berlin.

47 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Was there anyone under 70 in their audience? I'd think the organizers would want a wider range of concert goers.

The average age of citizens of Berlin is undoubtedly higher than the national average.  It's the sort of place people move away from, not the place where young people are eager to settle.

Edited by Notabug
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3

On her sister Amy’s page, Jill posted this, followed by her, “My Mom is FINALLY home….” post from 2 days ago

718A8768-CC51-45F3-92CF-0C9E2428D8F5.jpeg

. This comment was on Amy’s page:

”Praise to God. 
Her brain is not broken. It may be different but people who have brain injuries and other disabilities are whole people, not broken people.  God brings challenges into all our lives to help us learn patience love and acceptance.”

• Like 7
  • Applause 12
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Her brain is not broken. It may be different but people who have brain injuries and other disabilities are whole people, not broken people.

Nice jab at Jill's constant use of the phrase "broken brain" as well as her condescending attitude towards Amy's disability. And Jill was clueless enough to post the message for her? Go, Amy!

• Like 7
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Nice jab at Jill's constant use of the phrase "broken brain" as well as her condescending attitude towards Amy's disability. And Jill was clueless enough to post the message for her? Go, Amy!

The message was written not by Amy/Jill.

4 hours ago, beckie said:

Amy, the quadriplegic--asJill is so fond of reminding us, is the one serving their mother. Not HER (Jill) but the sister least able (but probably most willing).

Jill is scum.

Well Jill surely can't take time from her FULL-TIME Ministry spreading the Word of Dog and "singing" his/hers/theirs/its praises to care for her sick mother now can she?   Dog WANTS her out there singing and receiving love offerings.   Not stuck helping an old woman to the bathroom.   

• Sad 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

On her sister Amy’s page, Jill posted this, followed by her, “My Mom is FINALLY home….” post from 2 days ago

718A8768-CC51-45F3-92CF-0C9E2428D8F5.jpeg

. This comment was made on Amy’s page:

”Praise to God. 
Her brain is not broken. It may be different but people who have brain injuries and other disabilities are whole people, not broken people.  God brings challenges into all our lives to help us learn patience love and acceptance.”

The comment has now been deleted. Instead of Jill changing her wording, and realizing it was not a good choice,  she deleted the comment. (I say she did because I doubt Amy did)

• Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

I'm still confused. Was the comment posted by an outside friend on Amy's page, or was it written by Jill and posted there? 

Jill posted an update on her mother on her own Facebook page. Two days later, she reposted it on Amy’s page.

The comment was made under Jill’s post on Amy’s page. I have no idea the status of the person who made the comment. Unlike Jill’s Facebook, anyone can comment on Amy’s. Although the person who made the comment may have now been blocked by Jill on Amy’s page. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I appreciated the comment, so I posted it here.

Clear as mud?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Useful 2

Jill is sick. Her daughter was born without the connection between the two hemispheres of her brain. She could've been profoundly disabled. Is she not, because of God? Because of Plexus? Because she was lying about the condition for a casserole and prayers? I doubt Amy sees herself as disabled because of what happened  to her. You learn to adapt the best you can. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

I am confused how God could have been glorified by the kids singing "So Long, Farewell" at the concert.  It isn't a religious song.  I didn't watch the video so what words did they mess up on?  

She said "Sound of Music" ending.  Jill makes up stuff as she goes along.  Whatever will work for her grifting.  She wants people to believe her family is like the movie version of the Von Trapp family so they're endearing.  Interesting, Jill knows the movie but doesn't make the connection that the Von Trapp family was Catholic.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, wilsie said:

She said "Sound of Music" ending.  Jill makes up stuff as she goes along.  Whatever will work for her grifting.  She wants people to believe her family is like the movie version of the Von Trapp family so they're endearing.  Interesting, Jill knows the movie but doesn't make the connection that the Von Trapp family was Catholic.  

How can she miss the nuns? And that Maria was a novice? Pretty hard to gloss over.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Does anyone find it odd that Nathan and Esther Bates chose Kenna for their daughter's name? I know he wanted to name the baby after him, (Of course!), but they could've used McKenna, and called her Kenna. It's just an unusual name. 

Ehh, I went to school with a Keneen and she had a sister Kenya.   Guess what their dad's name was?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, ranchgirl said:

I am confused how God could have been glorified by the kids singing "So Long, Farewell" at the concert.  It isn't a religious song.  I didn't watch the video so what words did they mess up on?  

"Regretfully they tell us, but firmly they repel us" instead of "but firmly they compel us"

And

"And the bells from the nursery too" instead of "bells from the steeple too"

They also skipped the "taste my first champagne" line, but that was intentional.

There may have been other errors.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4

I have a cousin named after her own brother. I'm not sure where the son's name came from, but the parents just stuck an "na"on it for the daughter. It was an odd name then, and it's an odd name now. Think something like Clarkna, Stanna, Timna, Kentna, Rogerna, etc. 

So David sits at the sound console during the Rods' big performances. Does anyone think he turns the volume up to 11 when Jill solos? 

• LOL 11
13 minutes ago, Triple P said:

"Regretfully they tell us, but firmly they repel us" instead of "but firmly they compel us"

And

They also skipped the "taste my first champagne" line, but that was intentional.

Thank you.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Does anyone find it odd that Nathan and Esther Bates chose Kenna for their daughter's name? I know he wanted to name the baby after him, (Of course!), but they could've used McKenna, and called her Kenna. It's just an unusual name. 

I graduated with a Kenna over 50 years ago, but she is the only one I have ever known . I don't remember ever hearing why her parents named her Kenna. 

1 hour ago, Triple P said:

And

It's kind of hilarious that they messed up the only religious reference in the song (although less about religion than acknowledging that church bells used to be the best way to tell time).

• Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

How can she miss the nuns? And that Maria was a novice? Pretty hard to gloss over.

Maybe she’s never seen the movie, only heard the song?

2 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

They probably didn’t want her called Mac.

3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Maybe she figured that when she married the Captain she was no longer a idolatrous Catholic?  Love saved her from Satan!

(Yes, I know the marriage was in a cathedral, but she probably figures it was just really ornate)

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, Fosca said:

Maybe she figured that when she married the Captain she was no longer a idolatrous Catholic?  Love saved her from Satan!

(Yes, I know the marriage was in a cathedral, but she probably figures it was just really ornate)

I can see that. Jill would be the type to think that Christopher Plummer's English accent means Captain Von (thirst) Trapp is a Protestant.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I can see that. Jill would be the type to think that Christopher Plummer's English accent means Captain Von (thirst) Trapp is a Protestant.  

I don’t think she approves of most Protestants, either.

• Like 9