Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

This is a small part of the Bates mom, Kelly's post to Carlin and Evan on their anniversary.

...Y’all have been troopers through it all, & have blessed so many through sharing your lives on your YouTube channel & on Instagram. Your enthusiasm & realness are refreshing! Your faith is contagious!...

Their followers are blessed by seeing their SM lives??

• LOL 8
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This is a small part of the Bates mom, Kelly's post to Carlin and Evan on their anniversary.

...Y’all have been troopers through it all, & have blessed so many through sharing your lives on your YouTube channel & on Instagram. Your enthusiasm & realness are refreshing! Your faith is contagious!...

Their followers are blessed by seeing their SM lives??

Of course she agrees with their plan to continue exploiting themselves and their very young kids on SM. It’s the family way! No idea how their audience is “blessed” by being welcomed as peeping toms, however. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I guess that's why they filmed it in the first place, to have something to show the doctors. I'm sure Carlin was okay with showing this to the world because $$$. 

eta Only 22k views in 2 hours. Maybe even the Leghumpers are getting tired of it. 

You wouldn't guess that from Reddit. 🙄 

Is there a Rod boy younger than Gabe? 

3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's up to 73k views.

Gabe is the youngest Rod boy. She has just the four.

I can't believe he's sixteen. In stature, he looks like a middle school-aged kid, at most. 

• Love 10

Just an FYI, if Carlin is having an extended EEG she is either doing it in the hospital or at home.  Either way, she will be hooked up to scalp leads but she needs to spend the majority of the time in front of a camera (she'll love that!).  The neurologists like to compare the EEG tracings to motor behavior captured on camera.  It also helps to have a pulse monitor on as there is often an elevated heart rate during the seizure.  A lot of good data also comes during sleep.  However, no shower for the duration and she won't be able to fix her hair.  Braids and button up shirts are your friends.

When my daughter had a home EEG, they set up a camera in her room to see her bed and one in our living room so she could come out and watch TV and hang out with the family.  The rest of us were all very picky about where we sat that weekend so we wouldn't be on camera!

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

Just an FYI, if Carlin is having an extended EEG she is either doing it in the hospital or at home.  Either way, she will be hooked up to scalp leads but she needs to spend the majority of the time in front of a camera (she'll love that!).  The neurologists like to compare the EEG tracings to motor behavior captured on camera.  It also helps to have a pulse monitor on as there is often an elevated heart rate during the seizure.  A lot of good data also comes during sleep.  However, no shower for the duration and she won't be able to fix her hair.  Braids and button up shirts are your friends.

When my daughter had a home EEG, they set up a camera in her room to see her bed and one in our living room so she could come out and watch TV and hang out with the family.  The rest of us were all very picky about where we sat that weekend so we wouldn't be on camera!

I believe she did the 2 hour EEG in the hospital already. Are they repeating it? I find it difficult to listen to the two of them.

3 hours ago, Heathen said:

For those who are interested, here is some info from the Epilepsy Foundation. As has been pointed out already, there are many types of seizures and epilepsy syndromes other than what people typically think of as seizures. https://www.epilepsy.com/what-is-epilepsy/seizure-types The NIH also has good information. 

(My seizures were always absence as a kid, myoclonic, or tonic-clonic aka grand mal in adolescence and adulthood. My grandmother had complex partial seizures, which is the most common kind in seniors. When she had her first one, I didn't recognize what she had as a seizure, and neither did the paramedics or the ER doctors. We all thought she'd had a stroke; her diagnosis was a process of elimination, as it is for a lot of people with epilepsy. I've never known anybody who had a mobile EEG unless they were kids with some genetic syndrome.)

I've made it clear that I think Carlin, and most of the other Bateses, are grade-A flakes and attention-seekers. Posting the kinds of things they have been posting just cements that for me. However, I do hope that if it's real, she gets diagnosed and treated soon. For her kids' sakes. 

I also have complex partial seizures. I recently found out they've changed the name to focal onset impaired awareness seizure. Could the name BE any longer?! Lol

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I believe she did the 2 hour EEG in the hospital already. Are they repeating it? I find it difficult to listen to the two of them.

I believe she said she was having a 3 day at home one.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I believe she said she was having a 3 day at home one.

Which seems to indicate that the 2 hour in hospital EEG didn't capture any  seizure activity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Which seems to indicate that the 2 hour in hospital EEG didn't capture any  seizure activity.

Wasn't this the ER trip that Evan said the EMTs gave her anti seizure meds? They filmed this one for the gram in which Carlin wore the neck brace, and I'm pretty sure it's the visit where she got the meds. I don't think they'd been mentioned before this trip to Vandy.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Wasn't this the ER trip that Evan said the EMTs gave her anti seizure meds? They filmed this one for the gram in which Carlin wore the neck brace, and I'm pretty sure it's the visit where she got the meds. I don't think they'd been mentioned before this trip to Vandy.

The EMT's would've given her short-acting anti-seizure meds on the way to the hospital.  Usually, that is something like IV Valium.  It is going to be gone from her system within an hour or two.  In general, with potential new onset seizures, she would not be immediately started on a regular daily anti-seizure medication until they were sure that she was having seizures.  So, a 2 hour EEG would not be affected by a single dose of a fast acting agent.

They've vaguely mentioned possible medications needing adjustment on their videos, but have never actually come out and said she is on an anti-seizure medication. If she is, it is probably only since the doctor witnessed the episode during her appointment which was after she was hospitalized.  Even keeps talking about how tired she is and drowsiness is a common side effect, especially when first starting seizure meds.  However, they still manage to travel hither, thither and yon multiple times a week to attend various important family events like kid's tee ball games and graduation from fake homeschool kindergartens despite Carlin feeling so unwell which makes it hard to believe anything they say.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

They are major extroverts. They would show up at the opening of an envelope. I don't know if they've been told to live their normal lives, but it's clear that Carlin can't keep up the breakneck pace. She needs to spend some quiet time at home, no fake graduations, ball games, Top Golf, Starbucks runs, etc. 

The problem is, neither of them can stand quiet time. So, here we are. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The EMT's would've given her short-acting anti-seizure meds on the way to the hospital.  Usually, that is something like IV Valium.  It is going to be gone from her system within an hour or two.  In general, with potential new onset seizures, she would not be immediately started on a regular daily anti-seizure medication until they were sure that she was having seizures.  So, a 2 hour EEG would not be affected by a single dose of a fast acting agent.

They've vaguely mentioned possible medications needing adjustment on their videos, but have never actually come out and said she is on an anti-seizure medication. If she is, it is probably only since the doctor witnessed the episode during her appointment which was after she was hospitalized.  Even keeps talking about how tired she is and drowsiness is a common side effect, especially when first starting seizure meds.  However, they still manage to travel hither, thither and yon multiple times a week to attend various important family events like kid's tee ball games and graduation from fake homeschool kindergartens despite Carlin feeling so unwell which makes it hard to believe anything they say.

If it wasn't for their reliance on $ocial media po$t$, I'd wonder if this was a factitious disorder situation. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/factitious-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20356028

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They are manor extroverts. They would show up at the opening of an envelope. I don't know if they've been told to live their normal lives, but it's clear that Carlin can't keep up the breakneck pace. She needs to spend some quiet time at home, no fake graduations, ball games, Top Golf, Starbucks runs, etc. 

Hard cackle at "they would show up at the opening of an envelope." 

Edited by Heathen
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I didn't realize Munchausens had been renamed. Because I am reading the link saying to myself, "This sounds like Munchausens." The more you know. 😃

I probably wouldn't have known except that I have the misfortune to know somebody who has it. She also exhibits factitious disorder imposed on another -- in her case, her dozens of cats. She's a cat hoarder. Otherwise, she shows just about every listed symptom, and there are many of us in the rescue world who think so. 

Topic: I wonder what high drama Carlin and Evan will come up with next. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Heathen said:

If it wasn't for their reliance on $ocial media po$t$, I'd wonder if this was a factitious disorder situation.

TBH for me, the reliance on $ocial media po$t$ makes the likelihood they are exaggerating or faking even more likely to me, even if a factitious disorder diagnosis wouldn't quite fit due to the monetary gain.

Not saying there is nothing wrong with her, but she is setting off my bullshit meter.

I went to school with a girl who said she had cancer, and I remember finding her story suspicious at the time and then thinking that made me a terrible asshole. Her social media posts about it were a lot like Carlin's and very performative.

Come to find out, she was indeed faking cancer. She stole thousands of dollars from fundraisers and milked the shit out of the attention for nearly a year. The resident alumni rumor mill is that she was committed to a psychiatric facility, but I have no clue if that is true. She was never charged for the fraud she perpetuated and she has basically vanished from public. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

What I don't get is Carlin's episodes only happen when she's standing. From what little I know about seizures, position doesn't matter, in fact I believe seizures can happen in one's sleep.

I keep going back and forth as to what I'm seeing. I don't think this is all made up out of thin air, but I can't help but wonder if Carlin has faked an episode or two and now she can't undo it all. The reason I say this is because every episode she's had, but one, someone was there to catch her, and with that episode she didn't have a scratch or a bruise from falling unattended.

I wouldn't go as far as factitious disorder, as I think it would be too soon to throw that diagnosis on her (although we could be seeing the onset), but I've seen plenty of folks who faked something here or there or exaggerated a symptom or two for attention, who would never meet the criteria for factitious disorder. Even more so with SM, as I think SM can make even the average Joe have episodes of 'attention whore'.

Adjusting to a second baby is hard. I'm guessing adjusting to the cancelation of their show has been hard. Bringing two kids to 'work' is harder than having just one tag a long. Carlin is also on her own far more than she used to be. 

Like I said, maybe Carlin jumped at the opportunity to make one episode of something into more, for a little more attention and now she can't undo it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I'd like to say to Jill that I'm sick to death of hearing the words sweet & precious. What a fun outing for your sons, Jilldo - scripture and reinforcement of staying pure until marriage. At least the boys might have actually gotten something to eat. And a smiley tract for the wait staff! 🙄

• Love 17
17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I guess that's why they filmed it in the first place, to have something to show the doctors. I'm sure Carlin was okay with showing this to the world because $$$. 

eta Only 22k views in 2 hours. Maybe even the Leghumpers are getting tired of it. 

The fact that they took the time to put in the “soft tinkly minor-key crisis” music while showing her….. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

DA5848AC-194A-4D22-99F5-4832DA40791F.jpeg

Notice how she put pure in capital letters, the only thing Jill really cares about! Not graduating, or a birthday it’s that they’ll stay “pure” until the day they are married (as if they have much choice). Oh and they are SO sweet and precious 🙄

• Love 13

David and Jill take three teenage boys to a restaurant, read the Bible out loud to them, have them swear a purity pledge, and give them a gift. Nothing a guy wants more than a public performance about his virginity, but this is the Rod family. 

The girls get a ring or bracelet, I think. What do the boys get? A framed photo of BME and GWE in a lip lock to hang on the wall over their bed?

• LOL 20
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Wow, that sounds like fun, discussing purity with your parents.

It's right up there with swimming with your family in a dirty culvert in denim street clothes. 

Realistically, the males in this family are not likely to have women throwing themselves at them anyway. They have little or nothing to attract a prospective female companion.  Even if they did, Big Momma and her camera will never be more than two feet away. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Just ewww on the purity thing.   For such "modest" folks, they sure do talk about sex a lot.   But then I guess a lack of occupation with leads to a preoccupation with.

Probably 12-15 years ago (back when I was religious) the pastor of our church told the entire congregation that he gave his teenage daughter a purity ring and if she had sex before marriage, she’d have to give it back. This was at a “cool, modern” church. It was gross. 

One of a hundred reasons I finally left that. So much happier being a heathen. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, Zella said:

TBH for me, the reliance on $ocial media po$t$ makes the likelihood they are exaggerating or faking even more likely to me, even if a factitious disorder diagnosis wouldn't quite fit due to the monetary gain.

Not saying there is nothing wrong with her, but she is setting off my bullshit meter.

I went to school with a girl who said she had cancer, and I remember finding her story suspicious at the time and then thinking that made me a terrible asshole. Her social media posts about it were a lot like Carlin's and very performative.

Come to find out, she was indeed faking cancer. She stole thousands of dollars from fundraisers and milked the shit out of the attention for nearly a year. The resident alumni rumor mill is that she was committed to a psychiatric facility, but I have no clue if that is true. She was never charged for the fraud she perpetuated and she has basically vanished from public. 

I watched that video and after it happened and she was crying and asking why this keeps happening to her. I may be the only one but I think there is genuinely something wrong. I’ve never been a Carlin fan but they’ve got me on this and I think there is something wrong with her and it’s not psychological in nature, meaning, I don’t think it’s about her being stressed or needing attention.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

I watched that video and after it happened and she was crying and asking why this keeps happening to her. I may be the only one but I think there is genuinely something wrong. I’ve never been a Carlin fan but they’ve got me on this and I think there is something wrong with her and it’s not psychological in nature, meaning, I don’t think it’s about her being stressed or needing attention.

It could be one of those "medical mysteries".  A newspaper runs articles periodically about real people having real symptoms over a long period of time and going around to many doctors/hospitals/tests, and finally they end up in the right place and they are diagnosed and treated.  Not all of them are cured, but, there is a correct diagnosis.  And, while we discussed long covid above, and our "medical team" here ruled it out, it still could be related somehow to that.  But then again I am not a doctor!!

• Love 9

I still hypothesize that Carlin has psychogenic nonepileptic seizures rather than epilepsy or even a factitious disorder. Hopefully the doctors will do a video EEG to confirm or rule out.

I was reading more on the physical presentation of PNES versus generalized tonic clonic seizures that are present in epilepsy. One thing to look out for is whether the eyes are open or closed. Closed eyes are uncommon in epileptic seizures but much more common in PNES. Same with whether the mouth is open (tends to be closed in PNES), significant thrashing of motor movements (more thrashing in PNES), screaming or talking (may be present in PNES, not present in epileptic seizures) and whether they are confused after the seizure occurs (more confused in epileptic seizures).

Interestingly, one of the things I read was that the majority of patients with PNES are adult women, and a history of physical or sexual abuse is a risk factor. 

• Useful 9
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I still hypothesize that Carlin has psychogenic nonepileptic seizures rather than epilepsy or even a factitious disorder. Hopefully the doctors will do a video EEG to confirm or rule out.

I was reading more on the physical presentation of PNES versus generalized tonic clonic seizures that are present in epilepsy. One thing to look out for is whether the eyes are open or closed. Closed eyes are uncommon in epileptic seizures but much more common in PNES. Same with whether the mouth is open (tends to be closed in PNES), significant thrashing of motor movements (more thrashing in PNES), screaming or talking (may be present in PNES, not present in epileptic seizures) and whether they are confused after the seizure occurs (more confused in epileptic seizures).

Interestingly, one of the things I read was that the majority of patients with PNES are adult women, and a history of physical or sexual abuse is a risk factor. 

Agree with you, based on what is “known”. I put that in quotes because we only know what they they have presented, and what was seen in the video during an episode.

I found it interesting that from what I saw, she wasn’t placed on her side, from what I could tell. Her head was turned, but not her body. Evan stroking her legs and asking if it hurt was ridiculous. Keeping her safe should have been the number one goal, not slamming her with question after question.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They are manor extroverts. They would show up at the opening of an envelope. I don't know if they've been told to live their normal lives, but it's clear that Carlin can't keep up the breakneck pace. She needs to spend some quiet time at home, no fake graduations, ball games, Top Golf, Starbucks runs, etc. 

How much actual quiet time can there be in a house with a newborn and an active toddler?

2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I'd like to say to Jill that I'm sick to death of hearing the words sweet & precious. What a fun outing for your sons, Jilldo - scripture and reinforcement of staying pure until marriage. At least the boys might have actually gotten something to eat. And a smiley tract for the wait staff! 🙄

I’ve been sick of those words for decades now, lol. I can guarantee that I haven’t described anything as “precious” since the 20th century.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Probably 12-15 years ago (back when I was religious) the pastor of our church told the entire congregation that he gave his teenage daughter a purity ring and if she had sex before marriage, she’d have to give it back. This was at a “cool, modern” church. It was gross. 

One of a hundred reasons I finally left that. So much happier being a heathen. 

Ugh, where’s the vomit reaction??  🤮

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

I'm more than happy to eat my words on it and if she is actually sick, I hope she gets some answers, but it's not an accusation I throw out lightly or just to be a bitch. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I'm more than happy to eat my words on it and if she is actually sick, I hope she gets some answers, but it's not an accusation I throw out lightly or just to be a bitch. 

Well, there'd be nothing to speculate on if Carlin and Evan didn't post any of this on SM or even worse didn't throw this on SM all piece meal.

They're not SM stupid anymore, they know there are haters and doubters and they still choose to do it.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I’ve been sick of those words for decades now, lol. I can guarantee that I haven’t described anything as “precious” since the 20th century.

The "Precious Moments" fad turned me off on precious.

• LOL 6
10 hours ago, Zella said:

Scamming money and FD aren't mutually exclusive, though. 

This article doesn't mention money, but it does mention social media. "The main motivator behind factitious disorder is often a concrete gain in attention from others. Whether it’s from family, neighbors, colleagues or even on social media." https://health.clevelandclinic.org/8-fascinating-things-to-know-about-factitious-disorder/

Carlin has always set off my BS meter. I don't trust people who have "gender reveals" at a damn Target. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Poor Gabriel didn’t even get a special dinner date with mommy and popsy.

It was an embarrassing dinner date with his brothers and parents. Jeez what a birthday present. 

These BOYS will be PURE for eternity. 

Where was TIM? Is he still PURE and PRECIOUS ? 

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What I don't get is Carlin's episodes only happen when she's standing. From what little I know about seizures, position doesn't matter, in fact I believe seizures can happen in one's sleep.

I keep going back and forth as to what I'm seeing. I don't think this is all made up out of thin air, but I can't help but wonder if Carlin has faked an episode or two and now she can't undo it all. The reason I say this is because every episode she's had, but one, someone was there to catch her, and with that episode she didn't have a scratch or a bruise from falling unattended.

I wouldn't go as far as factitious disorder, as I think it would be too soon to throw that diagnosis on her (although we could be seeing the onset), but I've seen plenty of folks who faked something here or there or exaggerated a symptom or two for attention, who would never meet the criteria for factitious disorder. Even more so with SM, as I think SM can make even the average Joe have episodes of 'attention whore'.

Adjusting to a second baby is hard. I'm guessing adjusting to the cancelation of their show has been hard. Bringing two kids to 'work' is harder than having just one tag a long. Carlin is also on her own far more than she used to be. 

Like I said, maybe Carlin jumped at the opportunity to make one episode of something into more, for a little more attention and now she can't undo it.

I don' know that she is consciously faking, but Carlin seems to have a very suggestible personality as well as a bigger than average need for attention.  She is getting more attention than she's gotten in years recently and I could see her subconsciously lapping it up, leading to more and bigger 'events' each time.  

The fact that she only has an episode when she is standing makes it seem less likely that it is a seizure.  I suspect that the doctor who witnessed her doing what she does wasn't so much thinking that she was having a seizure, but that, she probably wasn't and the only way to keep this ninny out of the ER's was to do a 3 day EEG to prove it.  She cannot consciously or subconsciously control her brainwaves, after all.  I'm not a neurologist, but I've seen plenty of seizures and what they captured on film was not the usual seizure, that is for certain.

As far as her swollen feet, certainly if blood is pooling down there, that could cause her blood pressure to drop and make her dizzy or even faint.  The answer is to avoid being out in hot and humid conditions, wear support hose when standing and to prop her feet up when sitting.  I am sure she is doing none of that.

Aside from the ridiculous need to attend non-events (a pretend graduation for a kid who never actually attended kindergarten?), there is the fact that Carlin has been filmed showing the world all of the many, many bills they've got and cannot pay.  And, yet, they've made a 6 hour round trip drive for BS family events twice in a week.  There's no way they haven't wasted at least 100 bucks on gas alone this week.  Still they carry on, telling the world how much they need money while it appears that Evan hasn't gone to work for almost a month now.

Then there's her loving husband, who LET HER SIT IN THE CAR for hours while he attended a fake graduation party from not-kindergarten?  Yet, he films himself in tears, worried about his beloved wife, wondering what could possibly be wrong with her.  Then leaves her in the car to visit his family who he saw just a few days earlier.  Wasn't there a bedroom in the house somewhere where she could've laid down while he attended this mandatory family event?  If he was attending his mother's own wake, it does not excuse that kind of disregard for the health and well being of his wife.  Then again, perhaps someone did offer Carlin a comfortable place to rest and she turned it down because the car would make a better story for their followers.

I'm also tired of hearing how immature and sheltered they both are, they've been out on their own for years now.  Time to grow up,  They are less mature than the average 10 year old, IMO.

56 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Scamming money and FD aren't mutually exclusive, though. 

This article doesn't mention money, but it does mention social media. "The main motivator behind factitious disorder is often a concrete gain in attention from others. Whether it’s from family, neighbors, colleagues or even on social media." https://health.clevelandclinic.org/8-fascinating-things-to-know-about-factitious-disorder/

Carlin has always set off my BS meter. I don't trust people who have "gender reveals" at a damn Target. 

Thanks for mentioning that.  In fact, folks with FD want attention, they need attention, they crave attention.  Being given stuff is part of what they want, and that includes Go Fund Me's, newspaper and TV coverage, people baking cookies for them, anything.  It's all part of their pathology.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

I believe Carlin is having a real problem and isn't making it up. I have had medical problems in the past that I could never get a real diagnosis for. If its not a broken bone, tumor or something they can see on a blood test, you're usually on your own figuring it out. I feel bad for Carlin.

• Love 7
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I believe Carlin is having a real problem and isn't making it up. I have had medical problems in the past that I could never get a real diagnosis for. If its not a broken bone, tumor or something they can see on a blood test, you're usually on your own figuring it out. I feel bad for Carlin.

I think everyone here thinks Carlin is having a real problem, it's just that we don't think that it is epilepsy and we find that the way she and her husband are handling it; by posting all sorts of private medical stuff online in hopes of getting hits for their site, to be rather distasteful.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 23