Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I just finished watching Midnight Mass (good, but a little disappointing) and there is a woman that is a holier-than-thou type, much like Jill. The townspeople generally put up with her and no one seems to challenge her. At one point another character asks her why it upsets her that God loves the sinners too, and tells her that God doesn’t love her any more than anyone else. Honestly, I though of Jill. 

Yes!  I’ve been referring to Jill as Bev Keane since I watched Midnight Mass. Identical in every way, well accept Bev actually had a job and put effort into doing things, albeit dastardly deeds.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

This whole thing was Dateline: Secrets Uncovered-level crazy, but this part really struck me for two reasons. One, definitely agree that he has no idea how to interact with women he's not related to, so anyone making even direct eye contact is probably enough to make him feel like a junior high boy with no bodily control at all.

But also, this feels so much like he was required to actually work with women (either they were training him or less likely, he was training them) and he just had no idea how to handle that situation. I can so easily see a female coworker asking why this door is locked or why the paperwork is filled out like this or whatever and just him having no frame of reference for how to have a conversation.

And that makes me so sad because while that whole "podcast" is just a rambling mess (it almost seems like he doesn't understand that when he cuts off the camera, the audience can't see what he said next; like he almost said a Bible verse and just never returned to it!), his parents just completely set him up to fail. I mean, this kid never went to school, never did anything without his family around him when he was little, so what could he have possibly "lied a lot" about? Don't get me wrong, this family and their beliefs (and their beliefs that they should shove their beliefs on everyone else!) are awful, but I also feel terrible for this kids/kidults who never had a chance.

I wonder if he realizes that his mother, who punished him as a child for “lying a lot,” lies a lot herself. Some part of him probably does realize it and that just adds to his confusion and anger. 

• Love 22
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It really is sad that these kids can't be taken from their parents.

They not only can’t be taken from them, but in some cases the courts will give kids to fundies, like Tyler and the Duggars. They are then brainwashed into cults and denied real educations. Tim seems like the only Rod who has/had some actual plans and dreams, to become a pilot. And his brainwashing and lack of education got in the way. 

3 hours ago, ozziemom said:

So the Rod boys still at home are dressed in the same shirt in this story. Just like David and Nathan Keller did when they were single. Is this a Fundie thing? And what is the appeal of arm wrestling? I have never had friends or family come over and had anyone arm wrestle. Once again Janessa in the background with rag in her mouth.

I remember arm wrestling being a “thing” back in the 5th grade. But both boys and girls competed. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

They not only can’t be taken from them, but in some cases the courts will give kids to fundies, like Tyler and the Duggars. They are then brainwashed into cults and denied real educations. Tim seems like the only Rod who has/had some actual plans and dreams, to become a pilot. And his brainwashing and lack of education got in the way. 

I hear what your saying, but to me, the Duggar family environment is vastly different than the Rods. IMO, JB & M are bumbling fools who lack in the parenting department and have a shitty belief system - not unlike some mainstream families. To me Jill is a batshit crazy narcissist who likely damages her children during every waking moment.

• Love 15
16 hours ago, coconspirator said:

What I gleaned from that is 1) Tim has definitely contemplated suicide. He's trying way to hard to convince people how HAPPY he is because of Jesus.  I feel awful for him that he isn't allowed to be honest about how he feels and that he doesn't have anyone around to validate him. He's living in an RV, he's lost his driver's license, he's failed out of two colleges, and his family upbringing has emotionally crippled him as a potential boyfriend or husband. It's just sad, sad, sad.  2) I really suspect he's gay. He is fighting something inside of himself, which brings me back to #1.  🙁

He truly did lose his driver’s license?

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I hear what your saying, but to me, the Duggar family environment is vastly different than the Rods. IMO, JB & M are bumbling fools who lack in the parenting department and have a shitty belief system - not unlike some mainstream families. To me Jill is a batshit crazy narcissist who likely damages her children during every waking moment.

The Duggars for all of their faults do make sure their kids' basic needs are met.  I can't say the same for Jill and David.  The Rodlets all look emaciated in the pictures Jill proudly posts, and her glee when one of her kids fasts is sickening.  If the Rods are struggling so much that someone needs to fast in order for the kids to have a decent meal, then it needs to come from the parents not the older kids.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Duggars for all of their faults do make sure their kids' basic needs are met.  I can't say the same for Jill and David.  The Rodlets all look emaciated in the pictures Jill proudly posts, and her glee when one of her kids fasts is sickening.  If the Rods are struggling so much that someone needs to fast in order for the kids to have a decent meal, then it needs to come from the parents not the older kids.  

Isn’t a decent education a basic need also? 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

The US government has decided that parents have the right to determine what a decent education means for their kids.  The Duggars and their decision to homeschool their brood is completely legal and courts cannot take away their kids for choosing this path.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The US government has decided that parents have the right to determine what a decent education means for their kids.  The Duggars and their decision to homeschool their brood is completely legal and courts cannot take away their kids for choosing this path.  

It may be legal, but that wasn’t what I meant. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Sad but true. I'm no fan of the Duggars but JillR and David are way worse as parents.  

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

For sure! Sadly, in the US a decent education is very subjective. Newspapers are written between sixth and eleventh grade reading levels to assure they can be understood, because even mainstream educations are vastly different.

When comparing Tim's posts and videos to any of the Duggar 19's, it seems to me the Duggars are better educated than the Rods. I'm guessing the Duggars level of education unfortunately match up with many public school kids as well.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Regarding Tim's rambling "podcast," one thing that stood out was that he said that he turned off comments because he gets a lot of hate posts, mainly from his own family?

Anyone have a clue what that's about?

"... because I do have hate followers, mainly which come from my family..."

I think Tim means the haters following his family also follow him and they leave hate comments.

• Useful 6
  • Love 14
19 hours ago, Zella said:

vaguely remember some discussion when this happened. IIRC, Tim left around spring break and simply never went back, which did coincide with the descent of the pandemic. But it made me think that his issues at school went beyond that complication. Or maybe it was he left but it wasn't quite spring break. I remember something about spring break! LOL

The students at my college who went home for spring break were encouraged not to come back b/c we were completely online by then. But there wasn't any mention of Timothy going to college classes online.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, Nysha said:

There is no way I'm going to judge any of JillRod's children for their Linus tendencies. I don't think they get any tender parenting and this is their only outlet for self-calming. Before Jill does anything about the blanket and thumb, she needs to attend to her children's emotional needs and security.

And she needs to focus on feeding them healthy, nutritious meals on a regular basis.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

The students at my college who went home for spring break were encouraged not to come back b/c we were completely online by then. But there wasn't any mention of Timothy going to college classes online.

Despite the pandemic, Tim had a place to stay in Wisconsin with a family. It seems he could have stayed for the flying lessons and finished the semester online there. However, I'm sure he wasn't doing well in school, despite Jill's bragging. 

It's not that he can't try college again in the future, but he probably sealed his fate when he left Wisconsin and slid back into Best Momma's clutches. No wonder he sounds so depressed in his videos. The woman crushes her children's souls with her fat Plexus fingers, strangles their ambitions with her polyester hair extensions, and chokes their futures with her pots of grease soup. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Despite the pandemic, Tim had a place to stay in Wisconsin with a family. It seems he could have stayed for the flying lessons and finished the semester online there. However, I'm sure he wasn't doing well in school, despite Jill's bragging. 

It's not that he can't try college again in the future, but he probably sealed his fate when he left Wisconsin and slid back into Best Momma's clutches. No wonder he sounds so depressed in his videos. The woman crushes her children's souls with her fat Plexus fingers, strangles their ambitions with her polyester hair extensions, and chokes their futures with her pots of grease soup. 

It’s such a shame that Jill was able to force Timothy back home. I think a lot would be different and better for him has he stayed in Wisconsin. I wish he hadn’t turned off comments because someone might tell him this. 🥲

2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Regarding Timbits' license, it may well have been revoked, but there's no way in hell they will publicly admit it. 

Are there any public records online ?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

It’s such a shame that Jill was able to force Timothy back home. I think a lot would be different and better for him has he stayed in Wisconsin. I wish he hadn’t turned off comments because someone might tell him this. 🥲

Are there any public records online ?

Ohio BMV requests info that we don't have to check license status. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Paying for it…JillR would never change her budget for makeup or eating out to pay it. 

Insurance might be the reason Timbits is supposedly working "90-100 hours a week." Of course, that claim is dubious at best, especially since we know he lost his job at the airport.

• Love 12

I have a relative who once claimed that someone she knew was working 200 hours a week. I would like it noted that there are only 168 hours a week. I am inclined to think the 90-100 hours a week is an exaggeration along the same line even if he has a job, but who knows. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 20
13 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

This is it. 

Tim's lies were probably things like saying he took two peanuts out of a bowl when he took three, and he was probably beaten for his "sins." In the Rod family story, Tim is marked as the difficult child, but he may have been just a curious, energetic kid. He may also have ADHD, which could explain some of the issues with his video narratives. Tim is the golden first son, but he has had trouble living up to expectations. That's Jill and David's fault since they never gave him any tools to help him succeed. 

Jill the Hypocrite exaggerates and even openly lies, but that's OK because she's Best Momma. 

Oh please, like David and Jill would ever allocate two peanuts apiece to any of their kids. The Kid of the Month (tm) probably got one peanut and the rest of the kids all had to split a peanut. David didn’t get that girlish figure by letting other people eat. 

I had a feeling that for a while Jill was hoping to hook Tim up with the Dingus daughter. Free beef for life! But the Dingus friendship seems to have fizzled out. Maybe the Dingii weren’t fundie enough for Jill. 

• Love 11
On 2/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, ginger90 said:

I find that recent picture (includes baby Nemo) on the website very disturbing in regards to Sofia.  This pushing 7 year old child is being held like a toddler by Timothy.  She clearly appears smaller than Janessa.  Her sallow complexion, sparse hair all indicate something is wrong. along with her constantly sucking on a blanket and her thumb.  Isn't there some way to report a child who clearly isn't thriving?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

I find that recent picture (includes baby Nemo) on the website very disturbing in regards to Sofia.  This pushing 7 year old child is being held like a toddler by Timothy.  She clearly appears smaller than Janessa.  Her sallow complexion, sparse hair all indicate something is wrong. along with her constantly sucking on a blanket and her thumb.  Isn't there some way to report a child who clearly isn't thriving?

Someone who actually knows the family IRL would need to call CPS. They’re not going to take a report from one of us seriously. Anyone have a number for a Dingus?

54 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Someone who actually knows the family IRL would need to call CPS. They’re not going to take a report from one of us seriously. Anyone have a number for a Dingus?

In my area anyway, anyone can make a report. DCF takes all reports seriously, as long as the reporter can provide the name and address, along with the complaint. The reporter doesn't even have to provide their name or where they're calling from.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

In my area anyway, anyone can make a report. DCF takes all reports seriously, as long as the reporter can provide the name and address, along with the complaint. The reporter doesn't even have to provide their name or where they're calling from.

Anyone can, but they’re not likely to take reports from internet “haters.” It makes a big difference if someone who actually knows the family makes the report. Someone from their church should (clergy?) but won’t. 😢

2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Anyone can, but they’re not likely to take reports from internet “haters.” It makes a big difference if someone who actually knows the family makes the report. 

This is not the case at all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Anyone can, but they’re not likely to take reports from internet “haters.” It makes a big difference if someone who actually knows the family makes the report. Someone from their church should (clergy?) but won’t. 😢

Like you said anyone can call. DCF gets 'revenge' calls often enough that the reporter knowing the family doesn't really carry any weight. Maybe when its a teacher, MD or therapist DCF might feel its more likely to turn into something, but they have to look into every call - its there job. They can't rule out abuse or neglect by the phone call alone. Plus they would only know its an internet hater if the caller said they were.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I had a feeling that for a while Jill was hoping to hook Tim up with the Dingus daughter. Free beef for life! But the Dingus friendship seems to have fizzled out. Maybe the Dingii weren’t fundie enough for Jill. 

Maybe Jill was too needy, controlling, and crazy for the Dingii. Anyway, if a Dingus daughter escaped a life stuck to Timcel, God has shown his mercy to the Dingus family. 

Oh, the irony of all those rail-thin waifs standing in front of the "pantry" sign in the Rod kitchen. 

• Love 16

I actually feel sorry for Tim. He is broken. His parents absolutely broke him. Even worse, he had just enough of a taste of freedom and the real world to know what he is missing but knows that he has no way to get there. We saw the photos of him interacting with peers and happy. Didn't he even have his arm around a girl in one of them? Emotionally, he seems about 10 or 12. He has regressed, so whatever his parents did to him was vicious and punishing. I think 1) his move to the camper was to exile him, not give him more freedom and 2) he is the one financially supporting that household. I wouldn't be surprised if his paycheck goes directly into Jill&David's bank account.

It doesn't seem like he is very close with his brothers (much like Josh Duggar always seemed an outsider among his siblings) and he appears to be terribly alone and lost. He has not been allowed to have his own thoughts or develop his own beliefs, so I am not going to slam him too much for parroting what he has been told over and over again.

Interestingly, I think that by making her daughters sister-moms, they are actually more mature than Tim. She really infantilizes her boys and, if any of them shows interest in another woman, she will crush that out as quickly as she can. Can't let them love anyone but Momma.

He is going to break soon and the only question is whether he explodes outward or inward. We are watching a tragedy unfold before our eyes and are powerless to stop it.

Edited by Insert Username
wrong verb tense
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Insert Username said:

I actually feel sorry for Tim. He is broken. His parents absolutely broke him. Even worse, he had just enough of a taste of freedom and the real world to know what he is missing but knows that he has no way to get there. We saw the photos of him interacting with peers and happy. Didn't he even have his arm around a girl in one of them? Emotionally, he seems about 10 or 12. He has regressed, so whatever his parents did to him was vicious and punishing. I think 1) his move to the camper was to exile him, not give him more freedom and 2) he is the one financially supporting that household. I wouldn't be surprised if his paycheck goes directly into Jill&David's bank account.

It doesn't seem like he is very close with his brothers (much like Josh Duggar always seemed an outsider among his siblings) and he appears to be terribly alone and lost. He has not been allowed to have his own thoughts or develop his own beliefs, so I am not going to slam him too much for parroting what he has been told over and over again.

Interestingly, I think that by making her daughters sister-moms, they are actually more mature than Tim. She really infantilizes her boys and, if any of them shows interest in another woman, she will crush that out as quickly as she can. Can't let them love anyone but Momma.

He is going to break soon and the only question is whether he explodes outward or inward. We are watching a tragedy unfold before our eyes and are powerless to stop it.

Unfortunately, every word you wrote is true. And you said much more clearly that I could have. Tim will indeed break soon.

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, Insert Username said:

Very eloquently said. Thank you.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Like you said anyone can call. DCF gets 'revenge' calls often enough that the reporter knowing the family doesn't really carry any weight. Maybe when its a teacher, MD or therapist DCF might feel its more likely to turn into something, but they have to look into every call - its there job. They can't rule out abuse or neglect by the phone call alone. Plus they would only know its an internet hater if the caller said they were.

As you said, they get “revenge calls” often and I’m sure many have called over the years about various Rod kids. I worked in California for years and you can imagine how many calls they got about various “famous” families over the years. The family hasn’t moved from state to state for only the reasons they’ve claimed. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

As you said, they get “revenge calls” often and I’m sure many have called over the years about various Rod kids. I worked in California for years and you can imagine how many calls they got about various “famous” families over the years. The family hasn’t moved from state to state for only the reasons they’ve claimed. 

For sure, they definitely already have had DCF involved. And I don't believe for a minute the kids will be removed, but I'm guessing each time DCF comes around JillR temporarily ups her game at the very least. I'm also thinking she's had a couple of 'pending' cases with DCF, where they say check these boxes and we'll close the case before we ever open it. Like when all the kids had PCP appointments and when she started posting meals and homeschooling - she was likely scrambling to move the 'non-case' to closed.

If I had my druthers, I wish DCF would open a case and work with her for a year. Sadie and Phillip could be seen by the Child Pediatrician Doctor more often and get their nutritional needs met and maybe even the kids education would improve.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13