Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Psyc exam + wealthy = he's going to plea PTSD psychosis from the car wreck and get off. 

Is he still wealthy? The article mentioned he had a public defender and you don't get one of those if your income is above a certain level.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Psyc exam + wealthy = he's going to plea PTSD psychosis from the car wreck and get off. 

Toby was married when his parents had the accident. His parents were on the expressway on the way to his house to visit. Toby is just a douche. His parents are model people that are kind hearted.......Toby comes off as a selfish self-consumed a$$.

Do I feel sorry for Toby, NO. His parents yes. They suffered a huge lost back in the 90's. Losing 6 kids at once is not a pain that anyone should ever have to experience. 

Brenda can hopefully pick up the pieces and move on, she deserves better than that scumbag Toby.

• Love 5
On 3/16/2017 at 9:57 AM, RazzleberryPie said:

Nah, sexually assaulting a child is not a symptom of PTSD. It is a symptom of Pedophilia.

• Love 15
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Nah, sexually assaulting a child is not a symptom of PTSD. It is a symptom of Pedophilia.

Oh I completely agree with you, but I think this guy will say whatever it takes to try to get off, and if he can hire lawyers good enough to twist PTSD related psychosis into excusing rape, it will happen.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

He has a public defender. 

So does that mean they blew through both the millions from the settlement and the money they've been making since then? Or maybe he at least signed all assets over to his wife? In one episode Toby and the older kids were talking about dividing up land and assets. Some weird non-verbals were happening in that episode, mostly from the oldest girl. In another couple of episodes Toby was pushing a middle daughter to take on the lead singer part. At the time I kept thinking the oldest is pushing to get out of the family business. Now I'm thinking that this was the beginning of the end. I'm wondering why the secret came out when it did, and why the counts against him went from 1 to 4.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm wondering why the secret came out when it did, and why the counts against him went from 1 to 4.

I'm guessing the family member who was molested has a boyfriend or other, outside family support, who encouraged her to speak out. As for the number of rape counts, each separate act is counted. I spelled it out more in the Willis Family board.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 10:14 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

Hmm....Bates, Duggar, Willis = 2/3 had this stuff going on. Even a broke clock is right twice a day, right Jill?

So is this why the oldest Willis girl left their band/show, etc? Article says she is 24, so 12 years ago would've been 12. This is total Nancy Drew speculation on my part.

If it was indeed a daughter -- which seems quite likely, given that this was another of those "close" families -- then in this case, another relevant example is The 5 Browns. Like the Browns, the Willises not only have the patriarchal isolating religion thing going on but the family-molded-by-parents-into-professional-performers-thing. And that, too, is clearly a risk factor. Another element in which you've got a parental control freak working his will on the kids 24 hours a day. Clearly gives them additional "ideas." 

On the "whether he'll get off" part. Well, it didn't work for evil Mr. Brown, although in that case it was three girls and not "just" one.  In that case, all five of his kids banded together and fought like heck against him, including making sure that the whole horrifying thing was made very very public. So it may partly depend on how the rest of the family behaves. Haven't heard anything about that aspect yet in this case. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Ok public defender = he no longer has access to $$$. At one point he did, and that's why they didn't work and could just have a thousand  kids and pursue music.

i still think he'll pull some BS story that gamers sympathy and try to get off. 

38 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

If it was indeed a daughter -- which seems quite likely, given that this was another of those "close" families -- then in this case, another relevant example is The 5 Browns. Like the Browns, the Willises not only have the patriarchal isolating religion thing going on but the family-molded-by-parents-into-professional-performers-thing. And that, too, is clearly a risk factor. Another element in which you've got a parental control freak working his will on the kids 24 hours a day. Clearly gives them additional "ideas." 

On the "whether he'll get off" part. Well, it didn't work for evil Mr. Brown, although in that case it was three girls and not "just" one.  In that case, all five of his kids banded together and fought like heck against him, including making sure that the whole horrifying thing was made very very public. So it may partly depend on how the rest of the family behaves. Haven't heard anything about that aspect yet in this case. 

Out of the gate the mom said her first concerns were the children and they were fully cooperating with the prosecutors' office. Radio silence from his adult kids in regard to this. The oldest daughter does sell handmade leather bracelets from a website now.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Out of the gate the mom said her first concerns were the children and they were fully cooperating with the prosecutors' office. Radio silence from his adult kids in regard to this. The oldest daughter does sell handmade leather bracelets from a website now.

Ah, thanks for reporting. Some good news then. ... That really does make a difference when it comes to these guy's fates in the courts, seems to me. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

So does that mean they blew through both the millions from the settlement and the money they've been making since then? Or maybe he at least signed all assets over to his wife? In one episode Toby and the older kids were talking about dividing up land and assets. Some weird non-verbals were happening in that episode, mostly from the oldest girl. In another couple of episodes Toby was pushing a middle daughter to take on the lead singer part. At the time I kept thinking the oldest is pushing to get out of the family business. Now I'm thinking that this was the beginning of the end. I'm wondering why the secret came out when it did, and why the counts against him went from 1 to 4.

I thought only his parents received money (Toby wasn't in the accident) but after googling it, I was mistaken..he DID get a lot of money..I wonder where it all went also.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/14/the-willis-clan-no-more-a-christian-family-band-comes-apart-amid-child-rape-allegations.html

The badly burned Willis grandparents and the three surviving siblings received a $100 million settlement—one of the largest ever awarded in Illinois.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, bigskygirl said:

No offense, but Zach was calling his wife nightly while crying when he was in the Police Academy. I wonder what the other students felt about that. Makes me wonder what type of officer he is if he cannot hold his emotions in. I would love to see a psychiatrist come in and do a major study on these people. Now that would be some major quality entertainment!

Obviously I don't know, but this sounds like a person who has the potential to shoot out of fear, and cry about it later.  Not all illegal police shootings are race motivated.   Many are fearful officers and inadequate training.

• Love 3
On 3/18/2017 at 3:05 AM, GeeGolly said:

I remember that scene, and also noticing the vibe from the oldest daughter. I thought she seemed very much over it all, and he seemed oddly and vaguely submissive to her attitude. At the time I thought it was kind of nice that he wasn't displaying patriarchal control behavior. Ugh. 

• Love 3
On 3/18/2017 at 6:33 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Obviously I don't know, but this sounds like a person who has the potential to shoot out of fear, and cry about it later.  Not all illegal police shootings are race motivated.   Many are fearful officers and inadequate training.

Zachary is the Fundy version of emo.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2017 at 4:57 PM, ChiCricket said:

I thought only his parents received money (Toby wasn't in the accident) but after googling it, I was mistaken..he DID get a lot of money..I wonder where it all went also.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/14/the-willis-clan-no-more-a-christian-family-band-comes-apart-amid-child-rape-allegations.html

The badly burned Willis grandparents and the three surviving siblings received a $100 million settlement—one of the largest ever awarded in Illinois.

Minus the 33% that the law office took....then splitting the money 4 ways then taxes....hopefully they have a huge chunk left and that Toby didn't piss it away. 

• Love 2

Tonight on BUB, the Bateseseses all went skiing.  All the godly girls in skirts, no less!  Rediculous!  Anyway, Trace had a "friend" along with them. She had her hands all over Trace, in a cute, friendly manner, she wore ski pants without the godly overskirt, and she front hugged him!

Carlin also had her boyfriend, Bobby, there. And Tori had her getting to know you friend, Evan, there.

• Love 4

You mixed up the names of the guys. Tori's boyfriend is Bobby; Carlin's "special friend" is Evan. The Trace situation was a new one for me. I'm sure FJ already has the girl all scoped out. 

• Love 1

Yup, and her brother was chaperoning her on the ski trip. It's also rumored that Josie is in a "special friendship" with Evan's brother, Ethan. I guess we'll see. She doesn't turn 18 until August. ARRRRGH!!!!

• Love 1

All this dating/courting friendship talk is so confusing.  I may need a tutorial.  Does a "special friend' come before or after the "getting to know you" stage? Whatever happened to just hanging out with friends?  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

All this dating/courting friendship talk is so confusing.  I may need a tutorial.  Does a "special friend' come before or after the "getting to know you" stage? Whatever happened to just hanging out with friends?  

Special friend = getting to know. The Bateses just have different lingo than the Duggars. That said, watch the Duggars start using "special friend" when the next kidult starts a relationship... IF they show them before courtship. The Duggars didn't hide Kendra well at all. I saw several pictures of her with Joe at Jinger's wedding, but they didn't even mention her. After Marjorie, I guess we'll never know.

• Love 2

The Roberts family is tight with the Morton family, and they are WAAAAAY fundie, former Vison Forum adherents. Morton girls wear pants, too. That means absolutely nothing any longer, unless you're a wacko fanatic like senior Duggars, Bateses, or J-Rod. Oh, I know that several other fundie families still go skirts-only, but they are becoming a rarer breed. 

• Love 2

Oh gotcha...I just saw lots of questionable pictures like a "red neck 4th of July" where they had root beer and candy cigarettes, and real bathing suits, oh and tank tops! How scandalous! How do you all know about all of these other families? This seems like a black hole I want to fall down!

Carlin is definitely doing a line with that chap- he is now openly commeting and his Insta, for now, is public.

I took a far too childish delight and snicker at the place they went skiing to - Massenutten or something since the latter part, ..nutten.....actually means tarts in German....bahahahahaha. I need to grow up.

Seems like quite a few courtships on the way, children courting children, it's frigthening. Enjoy your youth and don't get bogged down by a horrid hateful theology

• Love 5
8 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I took a far too childish delight and snicker at the place they went skiing to - Massenutten or something since the latter part, ..nutten.....actually means tarts in German....bahahahahaha. I need to grow up.

My most favorite German word EVER, schadenfreude, is what I feel. Their continued full on display of how uneducated, sheltered, daft they are...yet how smug, prideful, and arrogant they all are...just astounds me on a daily basis how they ignore this elephant in the room.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Bloody spell check
  • Love 4
On 3/24/2017 at 7:27 AM, Barb23 said:

What are friends? What is "hanging out"?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Carlin is definitely doing a line with that chap- he is now openly commeting and his Insta, for now, is public.

*snip for space*

Can you load your girlfriend up with gifts before courtship for no real reason? Cuz if they're still just "special friends," that's what Evan did.

Edited by Sew Sumi
10 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

My most favorite German word EVER, schadenfreude, is what I feel. Their continued full on display of how uneducated, sheltered, daft they are...yet how smug, prideful, and arrogant they all are...just astounds me on a daily basis how they ignore this elephant in the room.

still dont know what that word means....

11 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

What? Your phone doesn't know schadenfreude? Mine knew it in five letters. LOL

Speaking of which, didn't the Gothard/IBLP hearing happen recently? Did Gil have to appear? *runs to Recovering Grace*

Edited by Sew Sumi
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Speaking of which, didn't the Gothard/IBLP hearing happen recently? Did Gil have to appear? *runs to Recovering Grace*

"Gaffney (Gothard's attorney) told CT today that the motions to disqualify Gibbs and to dismiss the lawsuit are still pending before the court, with the hearing on the motion to disqualify set for April 7. 'No counter-claims or cross-claims can or should be filed until after all those motions are fully resolved,' he said.

"Last month, the current lawsuit (a previous version was dismissed) was amended a second time, gaining 8 more plaintiffs for a final total of 18. Two of the additions were men. One accuses another IBLP staff member of sexual molestation, while the other said he experienced abuse in one of IBLP’s programs."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2016/march/bill-gothard-iblp-loses-ecfa-accreditation-governance.html

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 1

All I could find was the the first amended complaint, but no court dates, at Recovering Grace. Click on the court papers to pop up a .pdf page. Reading the plaintiff's complaints here is bad enough. Knowing that there are more, including males, makes me physically ill. 

The Board is called out by name in item #15 (page 4). I doubt that's changed. 

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2016/01/plaintiffs-amend-lawsuit/#more

Mollie, your article is also from last year. I can't find anything recent, but I am pretty sure there was something happening with this sometime this month. Gibbs resigned (turned out he was playing both sides against the middle for his own gain), and the plaintiffs had to find another attorney to represent them. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

With 18 people willing to join such a disturbing lawsuit involving such an insular cult, it makes me wonder how many people were actually harassed and abused. Over decades. The total could be mind blowing, I fear. 

• Love 8

Aw that's cute that Carlin's "friend" gave her a basket. Wonder if they believe in easter baskets like I always got when I was a child.