Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Glamazonian Airways

• Start Topic

I know there is a link floating around where you can see this episode early.  I haven't seen it but I heard who leaves this week is: 

Sasha

As far as Moby goes, IDK.  I think he's just there for the mini challenge and just for that one scene.  Weird.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched this episode last week (and this morning ... I really need to get out ...) and 

I'm not surprised or displeased Sasha is gone. She had 'fodder', not to mention 'desperate' written all over her. I was happy to see Ginger win as I think she's kinda of sweetheart, or maybe I should say say 'SweeTart' as there's always a little 'zing' to her sweetness.

Also, they're giving us some of Miss Fame's backstory (that's understandably emotional and tearful) which I think is to try and give her some 'human touch' for the viewers as she's really showing her ass so far as not having much to offer beside her bran ... er, look.

Violet is getting the early 'mean girl edit' but I don't think they really have to try to 'edit' one for the show as she clearly is a mean 'girl'. Pearl is a bit of a pill, too, but I think I want to give her a few more episodes before I officially begin to 'hate' her (in that 'reality glorified game show' kind of way).

I will say this though: not one queen so far is standing out for me as a clear front runner nor is there one yet that I really like.

Edited by marsha
  • Love 3

Olivia Newton John was awesome. Everything in judging was actually awesome this week. Those Glamazonian Airways songs were catchy as heck. I think they are still stuck in my head.

Poor Sasha Belle not only did she look terrible with that awful discount lady bunny wig, she was just flapping around on the floor like a beached whale, while Katya was on point completely. One of the best lipsynchs ever. Ginger Minj is growing on me, but Mrs Kasha Davis was robbed of the win this week IMO.

If Violet thinks that what Michelle Visage told her during the first judging was tasteless, I can't wait until  the crew lets Michelle know about the nasty things Violet said. Michelle is gonna rip her a new one, it’s going to be awesome!

I am loving this cast so far, no truly horrifying annoying queens like Laganga and Gia, although Violet and Kandy are not likeable. I also like that I have no idea who will be making the top 3 this year. By the second episode last year I knew Courtney and Bianca were shoe ins.

Moby’s appearance was random and kind of pointless.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 5

I'm shocked that Katya was in the bottom 2 and Miss Fame wasn't, both because I thought Katya outperformed Miss Fame, and also because I felt like the editing spent so much time highlighting Miss Fame that I was sure she was going. I was worried that Katya might be in for a shocker elimination, but as soon as I saw that slow-split I knew she was safe. That was amazing!

Ginger and Kasha to me were the clear top two. I was okay with either winning, and I like both of them now, but I think I have a slight preference for Ginger.

Lots of the girls made some kind of impression tonight (each of the members of Aryan Airlines managed to stand out in some way, despite being clones of one another), but I completely forgot about Kennedy Davenport until she walked out onto the runway. She can't be long for this, can she? Also Kandy Ho was barely in the episode at all, and when she was I was ready for her to talk about being a homeless lesbian, because as a boy she is a dead ringer for Kayla from America's Next Top Model.

In Canada on OUTtv, we get Untucked right after the show (I guess because exclusive Logo content is blocked outside of the USA). I've just watched this episode's Untucked 

and let's just say the gloves are coming off! Girl, Miss Jasmine Masters got a mouth on her! She seems to be mostly coming after Trixie (who's not having it!) but any of the non-pageant-non-hard-werkin'-bar-gals. Miss Jasmine is an entertainter, dontcha know! ::rolling eyes::

The BEST part for me was Ginger and Pearl having a real conversation and maybe becoming friends. It was really sweet, actually, and made me like Pearl. I was kind of on the fence with her but the ice is melting and I think there's a nice person there. Love her looks, too.

There wasn't much happening with Max this episode but she did have a kind moment with Sasha before they were going back out on stage and it was pretty clear that Sasha was in the bottom. Nice.

I can't tell you how much I love the 'new' Untucked! I've put it in 'spoiler tags' because I'm not sure if we can post it before it's aired in the USA.

Edited by marsha
  • Love 3

I completely disagreed with Michele's take on Mrs. Kasha Davis.  I thought her outfit was on point, had clean lines, and was still appropriate to her drag character.  I was totally ok with Ginger winning, because she was amazing as well.  

I wasn't surprised to see Sasha go, because she was never quite pulled together.  While she was definitely the one that should have gone this week hands down, I do think it's gotten a bit silly that a split seems to be an automatic win of the lip synch.  There's a whole lot more to entertaining than acrobatics.  There have been times in the past when I was far more entertained by the queen who was putting her heart and soul into the song while someone else was spreading 'em behind her :)

I'm also annoyed that they can't at least post the Untucked episode online the same night the show airs.

P.S. Maybe someone has pointed it out already and I missed it, but I think the reason for the much cheaper Untucked this season, as well as a slight, but noticeable, drop in the production values, is that they no longer seem to have Absolut as a sponsor.  That's a shame, because the company obviously had deep pockets, and it was nice to see a mainstream company support this show.  

• Love 4

Absolut was also not a sponsor of Season 6. I've always wondered what the T was on that. My suspicion is that a.) Ruduction no longer felt Absolut's sponsorship was needed for a Drag Race tour, because the show's buzz was self-propelling and b.) Absolut was unhappy that Sharon and Jinkx won, who they did not view as good liquor spokeswomen, and Ruduction and Absolut split over "creative differences." Is Orbitz at least still a sponsor? I'm watching on Google Play this season (which posts the episode immediately after it airs Eastern Time.)

I have more thoughts on this episode I'll post later, but I think Miss Fame did not lip sync against Sasha Belle, quite simply, because Ruduction wanted to be sure Sasha Belle would be sent home. Katya, as was proven by this episode, has killer precision lip-sync skills, and Ruduction probably knew (from the casting process) that Katya would knock Sasha out in a LSFYL. Since Miss Fame's sob story came out so early, I'm doubting she's long for RuPaul's Drag Race as it is. 

Violet reminds me of Laganja with a perpetual bitch-face and without the catch-phrases.

• Love 5

Absolut was unhappy that Sharon and Jinkx won, who they did not view as good liquor spokeswomen, and Ruduction and Absolut split over "creative differences." 

Oh, the Absolut guy they had as a judge espoused and articulated everything I hate about mainstream gay culture.  I was so glad when they got rid of him.

• Love 6

Ginger was very smart in how she chose her team, the black queens, camp queens and big girls have pretty much always been better lipsynchers and they completely showed out against Aryan Airways, whose best was still meh. Personally I could have seen the win going to Ginger(for leading the team and being very good at pushing the energy up as the first act of the lip synch), Jasmine(for carrying most of the middle of the performance while keeping the energy incredible high) or Kasha(for giving the most standout campy hilarious performance). That Violet was in the top instead of Jasmine would be something I call weird except that the show likes to throw excessive praise at young queens who are mostly look if they show a minor ability to perform(and Violet's is really what I would call minor this episode, she was well shown up by almost every other queen except Katya, Sasha, Fame and Pearl IMO).

I felt putting Sasha in the bottom 2 was obviously because if they put Miss Fame in there, Katya would have booted her ass out so they put their most clear cannon fodder in there instead. And I have to say my opinion of Miss Fame is lowering, despite this episode obviously trying to tug my sympathies for her, some of her looks are now making me question her taste level, her tats are incredible butch for someone whose schtick is 'Drag High Fashion Model' instead of 'Drag Butch Lesbian' and she went onto the show not only with no performance experience, but actually believing she could win without performing.. heck actively viewing performing as a degradation on her 'brand'. Right now she's making me think of Diet Raja, claims to have all the same flavor, but replaces important flavors with unpleasant aftertaste.

• Love 5

I greatly enjoyed Ginger Minj this episode and was pleasantly surprised to see her wn.

Violet can take a seat. I hate when contestants on the show talk about how small their waists are (HI, Kelly Mantle! Willam gets an exception for being Willam). I'm a dude who wears 28's, so it's not like I'm projecting).

*LOVED* Trixie as team leader. I get Max wasn't meant to be a focal point of this episode, but I was surprised that it wasn't brought up that he has a strong theatrical background as well (it likely was, but was cut).

I enjoyed the humanization of Miss Fame and I hope we see more of her.

• Love 1

I agree with like 90% of the comments so far.  This show is so awesome.  This is the one show I always watch with a big goofy smile on my face.  Trixie's comment regarding Violet's tude "okay Public School calm down" was awesome.  Pearl calling herself pretty and Sasha "John Goodman in a dress" made me guffaw loudly but Ginger's Aryan Airlines totally killed me. 

I think Sasha completely jinxed herself when she said "I've cracked the code".  I knew she wouldn't last as soon as she said that.

Violet has a sting in her tail - "I hate Michelle Visage" - come on who DOES THAT???  I kinda love her.  Violet was annoyed cos she was picked last and it showed.  Her waist is tiny but then I thought Miss Fame's waist was super small also.  Pearl is gorgeous as a boy and gorgeous as a girl.  I mean  COME ON people how is this at all fair?

My prediction for final 3 - Katya, Pearl and Trixie. 

Props to Kandy, her contour looked great this episode. 

Can't wait for next week!

• Love 1

I also agree with most of the comments here so far. I enjoyed BOTH teams' performances and can't really pick a fave performance but loved how Ginger totally turned it out as both team captain and on the stage. And good lord, "flooded basement!" I will never not picture her and that reference the next time the news covers floods and anyone with a flooded basement is interviewed, lol. It's too bad we won't get to see more of Sasha though.

Michelle's "meh" was just so Michelle. Carson's "I love minj" was classic. Olivia Newton-John was a delight, I loved her reaction to Ginger's "Sandy." Hee!

Impatiently waiting for Logo to post Untucked...

• Love 1
I'm predicting a Pearl/Ginger/Trixie finale now.

Oh, I could live with that or should I say I would live for that!

I want to see Violet go down and go down hard! Whatever queen she thinks is furthest beneath her (and I guess that would be all of them in her tinny little head) be the one to knock her out in her Lip Sync For Your Liiiiiiffffe! I don't get these queens who come on the show and seem to knowingly give these talking heads that will surely cast them as the villain. It may give them some extra screen time but ... what about after the show is over? Does it help them with their bookings? It seems the villains of the seasons get much, much less attention after the show (and their use) is over. 

Jasmine is just ... I don't know. I really run hot and cold on this one. I like the fact that she really, really wants to be on the series and can't help but let her excitement show but her whole "what the hail?!?" rant on what Trixie was wearing for the runway seemed ridiculous considering what she was wearing. Did she really think she looked 'first class' in that mess she had on? I'm guessing she'd say "YASSS!!". 

• Love 4

Ok Ginger won me over this week and may be my season favorite.  I hope/predict she's in the final 3 as well and how cool would it be to finally have a plus size queen win?!

Ugh with Violet.  She has a small waist and a small brain.  Dang this one is gonna work my nerves I see it already.  =(

It may give them some extra screen time but ... what about after the show is over? Does it help them with their bookings? It seems the villains of the seasons get much, much less attention after the show (and their use) is over.

I guess it kinda depends on what kind of villain you are.  Are you a funny, bitchy kinda gal like Willam or are you just a mean spirited, vile bitch like....well everyone else?  It seems the funny, bitchy hos become really popular and the not so funny ones just get ripped apart on the message boards.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 3

I can't figure a final three prediction yet. The Snatch Game is really the one that separates the contenders from the people who are just there and until then it's hard to pick out particular talent levels. I'm pretty sure Ginger is at least final five, she has a very positive edit to go with her strong looks and humor. I have a feeling that with the Snatch Game and later Max will pick up steam and probably hit final three.

• Love 4

I think that was my fave runway musical/production number ever.

Though Sasha Belle looked like a dollar store Wynonna Judd.

That production was pretty damn impressive. The choreography was something else.

As for Sasha looking like Wynonna... you're not alone. My sister kept calling her Wynonna all last night. And when Katya did that slow split... she just goes 'Bye Wynonna! Katya just won that showdown!'

I still weirdly like Pearl. And Mrs. Kasha Davis is working for me as well. Ginger, though, that bitch is fab! She's freaking fabulous painted up and she's got talking heads for days. "I'm from Florida and I have survived many a hurricane but none of them have been blowing directly in my mouth!" I did love how in the Commentary for episode one Bianca clocked her as Southern immediately.

I was disappointed that Katya flubbed the monologue but... damn! That was a seriously long monologue! How much time did they have to memorize it? It's actually not surprising that she missed the mark here and there given the presumably short turnaround time... especially with having to learn choreography as well.

My sis (I turned her onto Drag Race when she moved in with me so she's been given something of a crash course since November) likes Trixie out of drag but isn't a fan of her drag style at all. Trixie reminds me of Milk in some ways so I don't have a problem with her overdone drag at all. She's got a specific aesthetic so I'm interested in seeing what happens as they whittle it down some.

The lip synch battle... for a moment I did wonder if their wigs were going to fight it out amongst themselves. That was some seriously big hair!!

Despite Michelle not liking Ginger's jet set couture, I think it helped that Ginger had a complete answer when questioned about it. Elizabeth Taylor on her private jet? Actually... yeah, I can totally see that. (But I would totally wear Pearl's outfit on a plane. I really would.)

• Love 2

Where do we go to watch Untucked??  I can't believe it's not being aired after the show.

It's on youtube now and it airs the next day; it should be up now

Them's some season 4 teeth there too. Oof.

Holy crap you aren't kidding!  No wonder she was giving that tight ass smile in the first episode.  I get that dental work is expensive but gurl, brush your teeth!

• Love 2

To the question in the recap, I did hear Ru use Charisma, Uniqueness, Talent and Charm once--I remember because it was used in a double-entendre kind of way that made me chuckle, but darned if I can remember exactly where.  I'll have to report back after re-watching, but it definitely made an appearance.

My prediction for final 3 - Katya, Pearl and Trixie. 

From your lips to Ru's ears. 

I absolutely loved Trixie in this episode, but I've been loving her for months, so it's not like this is new or surprising. I think she should've been in the top 3 instead of Violet, really. Or Jasmine, but after seeing Jasmine's behavior on Untucked, I'd rather just see her gone.

Ginger is totally growing on me, as is Mrs Kasha Davis. I still think the latter is complete filler, but I can easily see Ginger making it to the end. Fame is slipping. Violet's safe by virtue of being the bitch of the season. 

It may give them some extra screen time but ... what about after the show is over? Does it help them with their bookings? It seems the villains of the seasons get much, much less attention after the show (and their use) is over.

I guess it kinda depends on what kind of villain you are.  Are you a funny, bitchy kinda gal like Willam or are you just a mean spirited, vile bitch like....well everyone else?  It seems the funny, bitchy hos become really popular and the not so funny ones just get ripped apart on the message boards.

Oh, that's funny! I never, ever thought of the divine Willam as a 'villain'! From the moment she walked into the show I adored her and it's never let up (live for William's Beatdown and only wish she'd do more). Maybe it's because that season we had the truly heinous Phi Phi O'Hara who just oozed villain out of every pore to such an extent that anyone else just seemed nice by comparison!

I'm finding myself disappointed by Mrs. Kasha Davis. I knew nothing about her going into the show but loved her name. That said, I find her drags pedestrian at best and not in an ironically humorous way. Also, I agree with what some others were saying that I didn't think she slayed her 'scat' solo at all. It made me wish they'd given that part to Sasha. 

Now, did anyone notice that Ru didn't say "Can I get an Amen?" at the end of the episode? Is that the first time ever?

I've loved Olivia Newton-John since my early teens (I even saw her in concert in the summer of '75!) but they may as well have had a lamp with a wig on it for all she brought to the judging. Also, don't most guest judges have something to do with the challenges? It would have made more sense to have the choreographer as a judge on the panel, if only to watch Ginger 'flood her basement' all over the stage. 

Edited by marsha
  • Love 2

Oh, that's funny! I never, ever thought of the divine Willam as a 'villain'! From the moment she walked into the show I adored her and it's never let up (live for William's Beatdown and only wish she'd do more). Maybe it's because that season we had the truly heinous Phi Phi O'Hara who just oozed villain out of every pore to such an extent that anyone else just seemed nice by comparison!

I remember the first few episodes of S4 reading on message boards that Willam rubbed people the wrong way (myself included) and didn't really understand her humor but as the season went on I just fell madly in lurve with her as well so yeah she's the only one (next to Darienne maybe) that could be seen as a villian but is just so funny and often true it's difficult to hate.

I'm finding myself disappointed by Mrs. Kasha Davis. I knew nothing about her going into the show but loved her name. That said, I find her drags pedestrian at best and not in an ironically humorous way. Also, I agree with what some others were saying that I didn't think she slayed her 'scat' solo at all. It made me wish they'd given that part to Sasha.

Really?  I kinda like Mrs. Davis aside from the fact that she's in the family with Darienne and Pandora I just like a campy, funny, theater queen.

Oh and take this with a grain of salt Locas BUT

I read on Reddit that the final 3 is Ginger/Pearl/Violet

Edited by Dirtybubble

I am not ok with Miss Fame's teeth. I am however, very impressed she's hidden them this well so far.

I thought that she'd marked them up for the challenge.  I just can't imagine somebody whose drag is so looks conscious would keep a mouth full of tooth rot to sully her "brand".  Or actually open her mouth for a mini-challenge where you really don't win anything worth exposing them.

But why would she mark her teeth up like that?  Well, for the rest of the episode I had an eagle eye trained on her mouth.  So if she wanted to pull focus, mission accomplished!

• Love 2

I thought that she'd marked them up for the challenge.  I just can't imagine somebody whose drag is so looks conscious would keep a mouth full of tooth rot to sully her "brand".  Or actually open her mouth for a mini-challenge where you really don't win anything worth exposing them.

But why would she mark her teeth up like that?  Well, for the rest of the episode I had an eagle eye trained on her mouth.  So if she wanted to pull focus, mission accomplished!

I think that was Miss Lame's ( thanks Trixie)  attempt to be funny. She looked straight up jacked for that challenge, meanwhile Ginger showed she is fast at her makeup, she looked ready for judging in just 15 minutes.

No wonder she was giving that tight ass smile in the first episode.  I get that dental work is expensive but gurl, brush your teeth!

I started watching last night's episode right at this moment in the mini challenge where Miss Fame's teeth were revealed. Not knowing exactly what the challenge was, I ASSUMED that the girls were asked to put on fake teeth and do some kind of "horror queen" thing. But nope, those are just her way jacked teeth. Seriously disturbing.

If those are Miss Fame's teeth I feel sad for her. Lots of people can't afford dental care. I wonder why she doesn't get a flipper--like Tyra Sanchez wore--to cover them up? It explains why she doesn't smile much, and makes me wonder, does she have something that makes her throw up a lot, like an eating disorder? No matter what, if those are her teeth it makes me sad.

• Love 1

I want to like Max, but somebody needs to show her how to make up her eyes. You can't be a drag queen and not wear any eye makeup! Good gawd!

His eyes are very 30's movie star and their growing on me. I think it's rather striking to see a queen not wearing a pair (or 2) of 301's.

• Love 3

Yeah, i'd call Max's look as on point for what she's trying. Whether the look will be able to carry her to the end I think will depend on if she can bring out more crazy good looking more modern looks like the Winter runway last episode. Is Max a albino? I just notice that he seems to be beyond pale and into colorless whether in or out of make up, but he also dyes his hair and seems to wear contacts so it's hard to tell.

I knew the target was on Sasha Belle's back and I'm not sorry to see her go, but damn did she look like Young Stephen Fry as a boy.

I'm in love with Max--her gray wigs, her stupid accent, her underbite. I think her looks are so on-point and she hasn't engaged in bitch-on-bitch shade so far. The time for elbow muffs has come, ladies! Check a department store window near you.

It would be lovely if a big queen won and I hope Ginger is the one to break through. (Still smarting from Latrice's aufing.) But as snakenax said, Snatch Game separates the sheep from the goats. So glad this show is back!

• Love 2

See, what I see when I look at Max is boy from the nose up. I don't want big crazy eyelashes, just for them to work with the rest of the face. Max even wore sunglasses in this week's runway, making me feel like it's a lack of makeup skills rather than a look. Add the kind of pale washed out look she's going for and you almost lose the eyes altogether.

ETA, just did a google image search for Max and found lots of pictures with her eyes looking better. She's got smaller lashes than most queens, sometimes ones that are clumped or unusual, but it works. She's often got eye shadow in her typical gray color palette. It also looks great. I think her brows are always on point. But now knowing how she usually does her eyes makes me wonder even more why she would choose not to on TV.

Edited by BrokenRemote

Say what you will about Fame, but she has good teeth. From Transformations, before RPDR.

6J3gnQK.gif

She must have blacked them out for the challenge.

It was kind of obvious to me she blacked them out,  her hair and makeup was all a mess too, trying to impress Ru by getting ugly, didn't work though.

It was kind of obvious to me she blacked them out,  her hair and makeup was all a mess too, trying to impress Ru by getting ugly, didn't work though.

Me too, Season 4 teeth are not Fame™

• Love 1

I'm not sure what is going on budget-wise, but I did crack up when Ginger won a five night stay in an unnamed hotel...somewhere.

And I really love Ginger. She's a polished big girl who doesn't seem to have Delta's insecurities or the flashes of bitterness we sometimes saw in Darienne.

This was a great challenge. Judging from the preview for next week, that one will be good too.

• Love 3