Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Sister

Any idiot would have been suspicious and pegged that guy as a reporter right away, but at least Ryan looks cute in all his layered t-shirts and housepainting outfits.

"You're about to go to jail.  Time to put all your substantial house painting money into a trust fund"

• Love 1

I'm beginning to see why his neighbors hate Ben. He's an unsubtle crashing bear tromping through their lives. That said I still think he's innocent.

I missed how Ben found out about Joseph's past because wouldn't he be looking up a legally changed name?

• Love 5

I'm beginning to see why his neighbors hate Ben. He's an unsubtle crashing bear tromping through their lives. That said I still think he's innocent.

I missed how Ben found out about Joseph's past because wouldn't he be looking up a legally changed name?

The name on the court document he saw was the old name, I think. So he searched that name, and there was a picture in the article he found.

• Love 1

I'm now about 90% sure the creator of this show had some horrible experience with reporters, and this is his way of getting back at them. Anyone else remember that Mel Gibson produced movie Paparazzi, which portrayed all reporters as pure evil in response to what they'd been digging up about him? I'm getting the exact same vibe here.

• Love 1

God yes!  I found him somewhat sympathetic initially, but now every time he opens his mouth or makes a move, I simply shake my head and mutter, Dumb Ass! 

• Love 5

Did Dave drop the "F bomb"?  We replayed it twice and it sure sounded like it.

I could have sworn that, too:  We replayed it and it certainly sounded like it to our household.

/And Juliette Lewis's character is still HORRIBLY written/acted/directed.

• Love 6

I need to know why the one neighbor hates him more than all the others.  It's like a visceral hate.  Even the guys wife seems more accepting.  (I cannot remember their names, sorry)  If they solve the murder and don't tell me that I will be forced to write a strongly worded email to the people in charge.

edited cuz I figured out the guys name is Kevin Williams.

Edited by QuinnM
  • Love 3

About 15 minutes in, I said to my husband, "Well, Ben hasn't done anything egregiously* stupid so far this week." He replied, "There's still a lot of time left in the episode." And boy was he right.

But really, I think that maybe the biggest problem I have with this show is that I find myself occupied for far too much time thinking about their hygiene issues:

Mom was appalled at Natalie throwing the pregnancy test (in a baggie) onto the kitchen counter: "we eat here!", but then she throws it away with no apparent distaste and immediately puts her hands back around her coffee cup.

Also, let me get this straight - Ben goes for a run wearing an ill-advised long-sleeved shirt made of non-wicking material and then proceeds to stand around, talk to people, accost his neighbors, be seen all around for hours ... all without ever taking a shower or changing? Ugh.

------

*I mean, he had snooped in the neighbor's pictures and taken snaps of the police file on their son. But for Ben, that's not too terrible.

• Love 5

Terrible.  She's ruining the show for me.  Too stiff. I get that she's probably playing a "no nonsense" detective, but she can relax any time.

• Love 13

Yeah, I think even a blind person saw the guy being a reporter coming a mile away. This is the first episode where I truly got frustrated at Ben. Both his wife and the creepy friend told him he needed to calm down with the paranoia and stop running around accusing everyone. I knew exactly where this was going when he and his wife showed up at the dinner party and almost just stopped the episode there because I didn't want to deal with it.

And sure enough, he not only gets caught going through the guy's stuff since he's not the least bit subtle but proceeds to start yelling accusations and the piece de resistance, he yells about the murder weapon being his flashlight. That last part had me in full face in hands going "really, really..." At least he can wiggle his way out of it by saying Cornell gave him the impression that she believes his missing flashlight is the murder weapon so that's why he said that, thinking the guy stole his flashlight, which is why it's missing. But still, it's like how stupid can you be?

I noticed the wife seemed a bit more engaged this week and actually acted like she's maybe really on his side. I completely agreed with her assessment of the friend - that he's creepy, not a pervert. I still have my eye on her as a suspect though. But speaking of her assessment of the friend, he's the other one I'm still watching closely too. Something significant clearly happened that night that Ben in his drunk state does not remember and I really think the friend knows or has some idea and is not saying. Maybe he thinks it makes Ben look guilty and he's trying to protect him but there is definitely something he's not telling. I don't think he killed Tom though. It doesn't make sense to me and I feel like the writers would have to pull some wonky shit to justify it. But he knows something. 

The older daughter continues to be obnoxious and I'd be glad if she just vanished unless she's guilty. Since I don't think she is, I'm more than fine with her just being referenced but never shown. Meanwhile, Cornell and her bullshit "evidence" continues. So Ben called the woman he cheated on his wife with, the night he admitted the affair and had an explosive fight with his wife, resulting in his getting stone cold drunk. He called the woman to say he was sorry and that must mean it's because he bashed her son's head in. Whatever...

Again, couldn't possibly have had to do with the fact that he'd just come clean about the affair to his wife who is the woman's next door neighbor. No, it must mean he killed Tom. Again, I want to support this show but they're making really, really hard. Meanwhile, Ben's biggest sin in my opinion is being best friends with a loser like Dave. Seriously, how old is the guy with all the bumming around, drinking like he's some college kid, etc.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Also, let me get this straight - Ben goes for a run wearing an ill-advised long-sleeved shirt made of non-wicking material and then proceeds to stand around, talk to people, accost his neighbors, be seen all around for hours ... all without ever taking a shower or changing? Ugh.

He sat on the neighbor's couch like that too!

• Love 2

Does anybody else laugh every time Ben leaves the house and he's in a full run?  It's happening so often now that I'm totally waiting and watching for him to go outside and hit the road running.

I absolutely could NOT believe he was rifling through his neighbor's things with the guy right downstairs.  I mean, come on ..... and he was just about the only neighbor who spoke to Ben anymore.

I'm beginning to like the slobbumbestfrienddaughterfuckernot.  He seems like the only one with a lick of sense.

If I had to name the killer, I'd go with the youngest daughter out of jealousy.  She's such a daddy's girl and Ben paid a LOT of attention to Tom.  She wouldn't be a suspect and could easily sneak the flashlight in and out of the tool box unnoticed.  And she obviously knows everything that's going on in the house because she can tell her parents right down to the minute where her sister is at any given moment.  She also hears things going on between her parents, such as the pregnancy test brouhaha.

As an aside, I'd like to see Cornell in bed.  Not sleeping, mind you, but doing the nasty.

• Love 3
If I had to name the killer, I'd go with the youngest daughter out of jealousy.  She's such a daddy's girl and Ben paid a LOT of attention to Tom.  She wouldn't be a suspect and could easily sneak the flashlight in and out of the tool box unnoticed.  And she obviously knows everything that's going on in the house because she can tell her parents right down to the minute where her sister is at any given moment.  She also hears things going on between her parents, such as the pregnancy test brouhaha.

I have to say I did think of her when they made a point of mentioning how she's a chronic eavesdropper and between the lie detector reveal and stuff about her sister, she's clearly up on EVERYTHING that happens in that house. So I'm guessing she probably heard Ben and her mom arguing about his affair with Jess that night. Maybe thought her dad would leave them for Jess which would mean leaving them for both Jess and Tom who he clearly loved so much. 

• Love 3

About 15 minutes in, I said to my husband, "Well, Ben hasn't done anything egregiously* stupid so far this week." He replied, "There's still a lot of time left in the episode." And boy was he right.

I don't know about that. One of the very first things he did was let Cornell talk to his teenage daughter without a lawyer present. Its one thing to gamble with his own future, but his daughter's? What if she had said something worse than what she did say? I get he can't afford the fancy lawyer yet, but he needs to get someone there and he needs to refuse having anyone in the family talk to her until his counsel is present every single time she shows up to their house.

• Love 3

I'm starting to think Cornell is messing with Ben's mind and trying to freak him out. I don't actually think she thinks he did it, but that someone close to him did. She seems very by the book, so she'd definitely have at least taken the teenage daughter into the station with a lawyer and parents for questioning. She's rattling cages, imo. Same for Ben. i totally think Juliette Lewis was miscast though. I'd rather see a Kim Delaney or Catherine Bell type in this role. I have no idea why. But this was the first week I saw Ben and Christy as a decent married couple.

• Love 1

I'm starting to think Cornell is messing with Ben's mind and trying to freak him out. I don't actually think she thinks he did it, but that someone close to him did. 

I'm thinking along these same lines.  It's the only thing that explains her continuing to show up at their home anytime unannounced.

I had to think a while about how the name of the episode connected to the events that occurred in the episode.  Even after a lot of thought, I'm still not sure if I get it, but I'm thinking it refers to the Richardsons being half brother and sister.

Ben incriminates himself with every move he makes.  If he'd keep his trap shut and do his "investigating" less conspicuously, then maybe he could actually prove his innocence.  He's not the first TV suspect to do this, but his brand of stupidity is starting to annoy me.

• Love 3

I was watching with the CC on and there was no f bomb. (Viking hammer) (and at the end "back off!")

a few of us speculated about the guy being a reporter when he first showed up. i caught on When he was having that obviously fake fight on the phone, right in front of Ben. Oh SIGH! my xwife is going to take me to court! She is going to LIE!Fight the good FIGHT! YOU should talk to the press!

Puh-lease.

I hate that Ben has to be a moron. Did he once stop to think that maybe just maybe he was jumping to conclusions about the Richardsons and about Dave and his daughter?? Kinda like everyone else was doing with him about murdering Tom?

Cornell could have been played by anyone for how much she matters at this point. How does she have the time to just stand around scowling all the time? I get that we are not being shown much of the perspective of the cops and it's probably for Teh Mystery. But if they went to a the trouble to make the Cornell files online or whatever, they should include it in the actual show.

I haven't looked at any of the online stuff from her perspective, does it add anything to the overall story?

ETA I really liked the doodles Dave gave Ben on the yellow slip of paper. It is worth pausing :)

Edited by Yeldarbe

What is WITH the older neighbor hating Ben so much??  Like he won't even look at Ben and blatantly ignores him while making a big show of acknowledging Kristy.  Very weird.  His poor wife tries to be nice but I dislike the husband so much it kind of rubs off on the wife.  I liked the scene in the rain where the older neighbor wife (sorry don't have all the names down yet!) asks if Kristy is ok and she's like yeah I'm fine!  Mind your business older neighbor folks!  There is definitely more to the tension there, not just about Tom being murdered.

I absolutely could NOT believe he was rifling through his neighbor's things with the guy right downstairs.  I mean, come on ..... and he was just about the only neighbor who spoke to Ben anymore.

LOL.  Not to mention just oh-so-casually taking cellphone photos of his neighbor's private photos while she's just a few feet away in an open-faced kitchen.  I mean...really??

I'm beginning to like the slobbumbestfrienddaughterfuckernot.  He seems like the only one with a lick of sense.

I actually kinda like him too.  The interactions between Ben and him are the only half-hearted attempts at some light comedy in an otherwise mostly dark show where people scowl and pout a lot. 

Which probably means that he did it. 

• Love 3

Ben incriminates himself with every move he makes.  If he'd keep his trap shut and do his "investigating" less conspicuously, then maybe he could actually prove his innocence.  He's not the first TV suspect to do this, but his brand of stupidity is starting to annoy me.

Of course, his biggest stupidity is hiding the flashlight.  You KNOW someone is going to open that package up on Christmas.  And then there is the apparently drunk phone calling. Maybe he is guilty.

• Love 2

If PBS wasn't in pledge drive mode, I definitely would not be watching this on Sunday night. However, here I am.

Thanks for the hammer to the head, ABC, we get it. Ben didn't do it. HOWEVER- I am getting close to hoping he goes down for the murder just because he does so much incredibly stupid shit.

Jeez dude, have you NEVER seen a CSI? Wiping the flashlight? Seriously dude- Luminol is not your friend. AND then-leaving the flashlight on the premises. Aargh.

The Doctor's house? On what planet do you think you won't get caught digging through the guys office? So when you do get nailed, you run screaming like a banshee, tipping your hand. For lawd's sake, catch a rerun of The Fugitive.

IF Grrpants09 is correct about Cornell, then kudos. That's a very optimistic theory over horrible casting/directing/acting. If it turns out that she is lurking and just rattling cages till someone cracks-then good writing. I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I like the up thread theories of the younger most innocent daughter. A good twist would be that she did it in a fit of jealous rage- ALA "The Bad Seed"

• Love 1

Even if he found evidence in someone else's house, he could be accused of planting it. He should at least hire a PI if he wants to be investigating other people.

I think the most implausible thing about the episode was the idea that Ben would actually dial Jess's number into his cell phone (in order to get one digit wrong and leave thst message on someone else's voicemail), instead of pulling up her name in his Contacts.

• Love 1

I think the most implausible thing about the episode was the idea that Ben would actually dial Jess's number into his cell phone (in order to get one digit wrong and leave thst message on someone else's voicemail), instead of pulling up her name in his Contacts

This just takes me out of the story.  The minute this happened I was like, who wrote this? my mother?  Same thing when a show references speed dial. I'm like how old are the writers on this thing?  Do they have cords on their phones?

Here is how to do it.  Have the names similar and suggest he always uses voice activated calling.  Jess and Juss etc.

• Love 2
I'm beginning to like the slobbumbestfrienddaughterfuckernot.  He seems like the only one with a lick of sense.

Hee. And co-signed. Backyard Dave is looking better with every stupid impulse Ben follows.

Jeez dude, have you NEVER seen a CSI? Wiping the flashlight? Seriously dude- Luminol is not your friend. AND then-leaving the flashlight on the premises. Aargh.

Absolutely. I couldn't believe my eyes at that scene in the garage!

I don't want to think that Abby is the killer; partly because "It's always the one you'd least suspect" is a bit too recognizable a trope, but I actually like the relationships Ben has with his daughters, "Monkey" in particular, and I'd like it if the story had one truly decent person in it, even if she is only eleven or so.

I hope there's some rhyme or reason behind Cornell's affectless yet snarky ineffectuality.

Am I misunderstanding something? At the dinner party, Ben says he and his wife have been married for 20 years. Then later in the show, they reveal that his wife was pregnant when they got married. So wouldn't that make Nat 20 years old? Maybe Ben was rounding up when he said 20 years, but I think maybe the show just messed up.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the ride. Not the best writing, not the best acting, but I love a murder mystery, so I'm in for the long haul.

Am I misunderstanding something? At the dinner party, Ben says he and his wife have been married for 20 years. Then later in the show, they reveal that his wife was pregnant when they got married. So wouldn't that make Nat 20 years old? Maybe Ben was rounding up when he said 20 years, but I think maybe the show just messed up.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the ride. Not the best writing, not the best acting, but I love a murder mystery, so I'm in for the long haul.

I think he said they had been together for 20 years. Not necessarily married. My husband and I have been together for 14 years, married for 11. 

Did they make a point to have him remind the audience that he doesn't remember that night? Are they still leaving open the possibility that he could have done it and not remembered?

I think they are definitely highlighting it. If only Ben would wonder WHY he can't remember that night. Someone must have given him something. Who would have access to his food or drink?

Edited by nb360

I could have sworn that, too:  We replayed it and it certainly sounded like it to our household.

What I can't figure out is whether she is horribly acted, written or directed. Because this is one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Serious question; Is she an otherwise decent actress? I've not seen her in much.

Edited by LittleGreyCells

What I can't figure out is whether she is horribly acted, written or directed. Because this is one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Serious question; Is she an otherwise decent actress? I've not seen her in much.

Did everyone she was working with hate her or something?  Why wouldn't they pull her aside and tell her how bad her schtick was coming across?  I mean it reflects on them as well.

• Love 1

I think he said they had been together for 20 years. Not necessarily married. My husband and I have been together for 14 years, married for 11. 

For a second, I thought there was another child who mysteriously disappeared!  Oh well.

I like that we finally know why Cornell is focusing on Ben.