Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I guess she wasn’t under contract.

I don't know how locked in anyone is these days.  But it's also possible she asked out of her contract and they granted it when she got this other role.  As much as I do like PW personally, she wasn't there all that long.  She really hadn't yet been established in a couple. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I guess she wasn’t under contract. I’m sure all the lines she had to memorize for Days will come in handy. That said, she might not even give the soap a second glance if the show becomes a hit. LOL!!! It will be interesting to see what nuChanel brings to the role and working with Jackee’.

I hope I like her as much as I like PW. I'm a little saddened that they didn't get an actress closer to PW's skin complexion, but I'll still be open to the recast.

• Love 2

Raven Bowen's looks older than PW/Chanel...Not like a ton but noticeably too me. Not as bad as the replacement that they got for Allie, she looks like an old HS buddy of MM/Belle, rather than her child. 

• LOL 2

Yea, Claire looks completely like a contemporary of Shawn/Belle. When she's in scenes with Shawn all I can think about is how they could play love interests and it wouldn't even seem like there's an age difference.

The new Chanel actress does look quite older than PW. And she looks noticeably older than the Allie actress. We'll see though, maybe she'll look younger in action.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Raven Bowen's looks older than PW/Chanel...Not like a ton but noticeably too me. Not as bad as the replacement that they got for Allie, she looks like an old HS buddy of MM/Belle, rather than her child. 

I see people say this a lot about the Claire recast, but I don't think MM looks young at all. Even when she was in her 20s she looked old to me. I have no issue with nuClaire being her daughter. 

I do agree that she looks more like Shawn's younger sister than daughter, but since she and Ciara are somewhere around the same age, it doesn't bother me.

• LOL 1

PT is so nice. There's a few other ones on soaps that always reply to fans or thank them. Some soap stars though think they're like A List stars or are rude it's so silly. Of course Ron is one as well he's super conceited  & if anyone dare @ him  with criticism or reply to one of his posts critically he used to personally attack them even children viewers LOL 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

PT is so nice. There's a few other ones on soaps that always reply to fans or thank them. Some soap stars though think they're like A List stars or are rude it's so silly. Of course Ron is one as well he's super conceited  & if anyone dare @ him  with criticism or reply to one of his posts critically he used to personally attack them even children viewers LOL 

The original tweet was about Xander and Jack’s friendship. I know some of us have wondered if it is something the actors did themselves. No harm in asking.

10 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I see people say this a lot about the Claire recast, but I don't think MM looks young at all. Even when she was in her 20s she looked old to me. 

I remember it being jarring when she came on because Kirsten Storms had a baby face. MM even said in magazine that they were giving her a "younger" haircut, like they knew she looked too old.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I remember it being jarring when she came on because Kirsten Storms had a baby face. MM even said in magazine that they were giving her a "younger" haircut, like they knew she looked too old.

I love how most Days viewers who remember the Belle recasts do their best to forget what had to have been stunt casting Belle in between Kirsten and MM with Charity Rahmer.  Some people have thought she got cast so accepting MM as Belle would be easier.

The last time I checked I think Charity Rahmer was a yoga teacher. The videos of her playing Belle got yeeted off of YT due to Sony hiring that company to copyright report so much stuff not just videos related to Days

I found some proof of Chairty Rahmer as Belle still exists on Twitter though...😄

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I love how most Days viewers who remember the Belle recasts do their best to forget what had to have been stunt casting Belle in between Kirsten and MM with Charity Rahmer.  Some people have thought she got cast so accepting MM as Belle would be easier.

The last time I checked I think Charity Rahmer was a yoga teacher. The videos of her playing Belle got yeeted off of YT due to Sony hiring that company to copyright report so much stuff not just videos related to Days

I wasn't watching Days when Charity played her, but I remember seeing a clip on youtube years ago of a scene with her being slapped, I think by Jan, and it was some of the worst acting I've ever seen. If that was TPTB's plan, that was really smart, as long as they let Charity know and she was compensated well. Based on that clip from twitter, her Belle seems like a spoiled twat (or maybe she always was but Kirsten Storms had enough charm to pull it off). 

4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I always feel bad for these recast actresses because most of the time they get compared unfavorably to their predecessor, either because the audience doesn't think they're as pretty or as talented or both. I used to watch All My Children and I remember when they recast Greenlee. The poor actress (her name was Sabine something or other) never really caught on with audiences and when they brought back Rebecca Budig they made these commercials that literally said, "The real Greenlee is back." That felt particularly shitty on the network's part.

I have a short memory when it comes to soaps - can anyone think of an instance when a recast was more popular than their predecessor?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

I always feel bad for these recast actresses because most of the time they get compared unfavorably to their predecessor, either because the audience doesn't think they're as pretty or as talented or both. I used to watch All My Children and I remember when they recast Greenlee. The poor actress (her name was Sabine something or other) never really caught on with audiences and when they brought back Rebecca Budig they made these commercials that literally said, "The real Greenlee is back." That felt particularly shitty on the network's part.

Her name was Sabine Singh, and I felt so badly for her, too. ABC shit all over her. (Yes, Rebecca Budig was more popular, but a little class would have went a long way!)

4 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

I have a short memory when it comes to soaps - can anyone think of an instance when a recast was more popular than their predecessor?

Arguably, Drake Hogestyn versus originator Wayne Northrop (hence some - like me - still sort of irritated to this day about Drake being "de-Roman'd!") Also, another Brady: Mary Beth Evans completely eclipsed Kayla's original actress, Catherine Mary Stewart. And Matthew Ashford was Jack Deveraux #3, but you'd never know it, as he seems to be considered the definitive Jack.

One can also argue - audience wise, not show wise, as he was apparently detested behind the scenes - that RKK's Bo was almost as popular as Peter Reckell's. (Me personally, though, I was thrilled to see Peter return, especially since Kristian Alfonso had returned as Gina/Hope.)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

The original tweet was about Xander and Jack’s friendship. I know some of us have wondered if it is something the actors did themselves. No harm in asking.

Lol what? I surmised that.... both tweets embedded in yourpost. 

I was just remarking it was kind he replied to you. He replies to everyone. Some soap stars dont 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Her name was Sabine Singh, and I felt so badly for her, too. ABC shit all over her. (Yes, Rebecca Budig was more popular, but a little class would have went a long way!)

Arguably, Drake Hogestyn versus originator Wayne Northrop (hence some - like me - still sort of irritated to this day about Drake being "de-Roman'd!") Also, another Brady: Mary Beth Evans completely eclipsed Kayla's original actress, Catherine Mary Stewart. And Matthew Ashford was Jack Deveraux #3, but you'd never know it, as he seems to be considered the definitive Jack.

One can also argue - audience wise, not show wise, as he was apparently detested behind the scenes - that RKK's Bo was almost as popular as Peter Reckell's. (Me personally, though, I was thrilled to see Peter return, especially since Kristian Alfonso had returned as Gina/Hope.)

What about LK's Kate, EM's Brady, and CB's Gabi. All three are recasts and have far eclipsed their original performers in episodes and years they've been on screen. Hell, even CB's Gabi has been around for a decade now. I'm sure there are a lot of viewers who don't even realize they are recasts.

Couldn't we also include VK's Ciara Brady from the original teen Ciara - LB's Ciara will always be best. 

Even Ben is a recast, and I'm sure no one remembers the original portrayer. 

MM/KM are both Abby recasts, and I'm sure both are more popular than the Abby that came before.

Chad is also a recast.

I think Days has just as much a history of successful recasts - at least recently - as they do failed ones. 

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, 4evaQuez said:

What about LK's Kate, EM's Brady, and CB's Gabi. All three are recasts and have far eclipsed their original performers in episodes and years they've been on screen. Hell, even CB's Gabi has been around for a decade now. I'm sure there are a lot of viewers who don't even realize they are recasts.

I didn't know Gabi was recast.  It actually took me a little while to warm up to Lauren Koslow, but not too long.

LB's Ciara will always be best. 

indubitably.

• Love 3

Couldn't we also include VK's Ciara Brady from the original teen Ciara - LB's Ciara will always be best. 

MM/KM are both Abby recasts, and I'm sure both are more popular than the Abby that came before.

Chad is also a recast.

I think Days has just as much a history of successful recasts - at least recently - as they do failed ones. 

I actually preferred Deborah Adair's Kate.

EM and CB are the preferable Brady and Gabi for me. Although KL's Brady was written with more depth I didn't like him much go figure. 

I agree VK was a good recast but I don't think that was hard considering the chick before her was awful. LB was my fave Ciara though.

RSW was a good recast compared to Justin Gaston. 

Ashley Benson was Abby before MM and KM but yeah at this point they're more associated with Abby than she is.

I preferred Casey Diedrick to Billy Flynn(except in the Chabby pairing in which case I would go with BF which is ironic since I no longer care about Chabby anymore but he sold it more than CD did). 

I agree they tend to have more successful than less successful ones. However with some recasts they end up changing the character entirely. Like Claire ORK's had more going for her  writing wise now this one is just a Cin cheerleader. This is the writers fault though they can only write women as psychos or victims.

• Love 4

Ha, I guess there were more successful recasts than I thought. I probably just remember the bad ones because they're bad; the good recasts end up seeming like they've always played the role and don't register as a recast after a while.

• Love 3

So many characters are actually popular recasts because they're played by someone initially for a short term and replaced when they need someone better or because they're played by child actors. 

Rarer are the Bo or Roman type recasts where the recast is of equal or larger popularity but I think a large part of that is because a character becomes popular during their best stories--that initial origin story or popular love story.  That tends to be early on when writers have a plan for the characters. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

He blocked me on Twitter because I criticized his GH storylines.

• Love 1

There was a kid on Twitter calling him a hack and saying he sucked & on his bio he listed his high school name and year like "Brooklyn Prep '09" or something and Ron tweeted him back saying "how'd you like if if I came down to your school and showed your principal what you write in your free time?" LOL! 

like principal would expel him or recind his college recommendation based on some mean tweets off campus? Or not think that this middle aged stranger man was being a creepo 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

There was a kid on Twitter calling him a hack and saying he sucked & on his bio he listed his high school name and year like "Brooklyn Prep '09" or something and Ron tweeted him back saying "how'd you like if if I came down to your school and showed your principal what you write in your free time?" LOL! 

like principal would expel him or recind his college recommendation based on some mean tweets off campus? Or not think that this middle aged stranger man was being a creepo 

While I think Ron is a jerk and should take some classes in maturity and grace, I actually agree with him in this regard. To me, it's one thing to critique his writing, but I actually do think it's over the line to attack him personally for his writing. Ron has a lot of hostile and unreasonable responses to fans, but I actually find this to be appropriate for the offense.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

While I think Ron is a jerk and should take some classes in maturity and grace, I actually agree with him in this regard. To me, it's one thing to critique his writing, but I actually do think it's over the line to attack him personally for his writing. Ron has a lot of hostile and unreasonable responses to fans, but I actually find this to be appropriate for the offense.

He could ignore it like most other head-writers who get similar comments. Ron can’t help himself.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

I don't agree at all but w don't have a groan button here 🤣😂. If someone's too thin skinned to deal when people talk trash then need to get the f out the public eye. Or he can just not have a public twitter account. It's not that hard. Also he's arguing with a kid and making an idiotic threat. Like literally. That makes sense to you? That would be like someone saying my posts were dumb and I'm annoying then me being like "I'll find you where you work then make a scene in front of your boss about you saying making some stupid Internet insult." They'd call the police 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I don't agree at all but w don't have a groan button here 🤣😂. If someone's too thin skinned to deal when people talk trash then need to get the f out the public eye. Or he can just not have a public twitter account. It's not that hard. Also he's arguing with a kid and making an idiotic threat. Like literally. That makes sense to you? That would be like someone saying my posts were dumb and I'm annoying then me being like "I'll find you where you work then make a scene in front of your boss about you saying making some stupid Internet insult." They'd call the police 

The kid is in high school according to your account of the interaction. This kid is old enough to know that if you make a smart comment to someone via Twitter, then there's a chance they may respond. Ron responded. He's under no obligation to be the bigger person to a stranger, regardless of their age. (Unless we're talking like a preteen, but then their parents need to monitor their access to social media more if that is the case).

I also think I'm just interpreting what Ron is saying differently than you are, which of course is okay. I don't see it as a threat. As you said, absolutely nothing could come from it if he did show the principal what the kid was saying. And I'm sure this high schooler is old enough to understand nothing would happen, hence why they have chosen the medium and the actions they've chosen. It's a comeback on Twitter. I've seen Ron say much worse to people. The kid had an attitude; Ron had an attitude back. Life goes on.

• Love 2
On 6/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I liked Sabine Singh on AMC. It took a month or two but I appreciated her portrayal of Greenlee after getting so annoyed by Rebecca during the end of her first run. I got annoyed when she returned too with Budig's Greenlee and Ryan getting so much airtime. I know Budig left again for a bit and returned when production moved to CA.

I was a fan of RKK's Bo and LR's Billie back in the day. The 'Buried Alive' storyline airing during Summer is what made me want to start watching on a regular basis. I was familar with Days, AW and Y&R due to those being shows my Mom had watched before she returned to the workforce after we moved in with my Nana.  I got squicked out in regards to RKK after finding out about his involvement with Miriam Parrish which eventually lead to marriage. I'm glad they finally divorced but so much of her youth being spent married to his disgusting ass makes me kind of sad when I think about it. 

I ended up liking Peter more when he returned to the point where I didn't miss RKK's portrayal of Bo at all. 

In the 90's I found the character of  Jude St Clair intriguing because of his striking looks he was portrayed by Jeff Griggs who also acted under the name of Tony Sinatra in some X rated stuff. I didn't find out until later that it was gay X rated stuff. I just remember reading that BTS there was supposedly a move to get rid of him because of that past. I realize what a different time that was. Was there ever any mention of his behavior also being an issue or was it just his past acting roles?

• Love 1
On 6/13/2021 at 10:45 AM, 4evaQuez said:

Chad is also a recast.

All the recasts of Philip sucked.

I know JKJ was not the original teen Philip, but the first one..can’t remember who he was, so I always think of JKJ as  the 1st, as the one who developed the character. 

• Love 5
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Saw a tweet that Monday’s ep is Deidre Hall’s 45th anniversary on the show.

How old is Deidre?? I think she looks good, great fillers and makeup/hair. I appreciate she hasn’t had her lips overdone, like LK…too much too much!! 
and I’ve always loved DH’s eyes. They smile.

Edited by Chellfairy
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Chellfairy said:

How old is Deidre?? I think she looks good, great fillers and makeup/hair. I appreciate she hasn’t had her lips overdone, like LK…too much too much!! 
and I’ve always loved DH’s eyes. They smile.

Deidre is 73.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Saw a tweet that Monday’s ep is Deidre Hall’s 45th anniversary on the show.

I'm legit surprised that the show isn't giving her a tribute episode like they did for Susan with Julie.  Especially given how Ron loves Jarlena and family.

Doug/Bill's should've been a lot better.

• Love 5
On 6/19/2021 at 2:28 AM, Chellfairy said:

All the recasts of Philip sucked.

I know JKJ was not the original teen Philip, but the first one..can’t remember who he was, so I always think of JKJ as  the 1st, as the one who developed the character. 

I can't remember when the recast happened, but I thought it was hilarious when, on Friday. teen Philip got beat up by a bunch of bullies and dropped into the snow and on Monday, he stood up as a different actor.  I can't remember which actors they were.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

I can't remember when the recast happened, but I thought it was hilarious when, on Friday. teen Philip got beat up by a bunch of bullies and dropped into the snow and on Monday, he stood up as a different actor.  I can't remember which actors they were.

Well, you know, sometimes you get hit so hard it turns you into a different person.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, RedElf said:

That's nothing! As a Santa Barbara viewer, Mason Capwell was recast mid episode! He got into a fight at his ex, Julia's house with Dash Nichols (he who would end up raping Julia but that is a long, gross story!). When Dash punched Mason, he went down as blonde Terry Lester. Cue mid-show bumper and commercials. When the show resumed, the next scene as he was stewing outside, brunette Gordon Thomson had assumed the role.

But then Phillip's recast also had his leg amputated. What a miracle that it grew back with JKJ. /s

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, RedElf said:

Arianne Zucker and Shawn Christian announced over the weekend that they are engaged.

I still don't know what she sees in him.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, rcc said:

I still don't know what she sees in him.

I actually loved Shawn Christian before he joined Days thought he was great on ATWT as Mike Kasnoff and other roles.  That being said I hated Daniel and admit that I didn't care for SC as much because of it. However I do think he's a good looking guy and he seems to be a nice man. I think people can't get past the fact he's not Daniel Jonas in RL.

I admit I'm surprised they would want to get married after all this time. I figure they would just want to be a common law thing.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I actually loved Shawn Christian before he joined Days thought he was great on ATWT as Mike Kasnoff and other roles.  That being said I hated Daniel and admit that I didn't care for SC as much because of it. However I do think he's a good looking guy and he seems to be a nice man. I think people can't get past the fact he's not Daniel Jonas in RL.

I admit I'm surprised they would want to get married after all this time. I figure they would just want to be a common law thing.

Nope it is not because I can't see past his role on Days. I have seen him in interviews. They are charging people for life ideas dreamed up by him. He has a marketing degree and is putting it to use.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

However I do think he's a good looking guy and he seems to be a nice man. I think people can't get past the fact he's not Daniel Jonas in RL.

Truth! It never ceases to amaze me how some folks can actually hate a person because of their character. As if the actual person wrote the script.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MsTree said:

Truth! It never ceases to amaze me how some folks can actually hate a person because of their character. As if the actual person wrote the script.

I think part of it is that actor's ability to embody the worst of their character. If the actor really channels their own traits into their performance, you may see them in the real world and go "ugh, I stil see their character!"

Also, some people in the audience don't *get* make believe. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, rcc said:

Nope it is not because I can't see past his role on Days. I have seen him in interviews. They are charging people for life ideas dreamed up by him. He has a marketing degree and is putting it to use.

Ah that makes more sense I didn't know this part. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I think part of it is that actor's ability to embody the worst of their character. If the actor really channels their own traits into their performance, you may see them in the real world and go "ugh, I stil see their character!"

Also, some people in the audience don't *get* make believe. 

It's one thing when a child (or even a teen) can't separate a character and an actor. But, if you're an adult and you can't do it, you need to step away from the TV.  If you are sending death threats to an actor, you need to reevaluate your life or at the very least get tested for psychiatric illnesses.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, MsTree said:

I remember years ago Alison Sweeney talked about how old ladies used to hit her with their purses because of something Sami did. 

Yeah I don't quite get how one gets to that point.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I remember years ago Alison Sweeney talked about how old ladies used to hit her with their purses because of something Sami did. 

And you don't even have to be super famous. My high school drama teacher told us about how he was yelled at more than once by people on the street, because he portrayed a drunk driver getting pulled over in a TV commercial.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, CanaryFan98 said:

This has nothing to do with confusing characters and actors, but I remember when I was in college, or maybe just out of college, I told my grandfather I wanted to be just like Sami when I grow up.  This was when she had been on the show 2 or 3 years, so I was (and still am) older than her.  I, of course, didn't mean I really wanted to be Sami.  I can't even remember what she was up to back then, but she's pretty much never been up to anything good.  But, my grandfather took me literally and said Sami's nobody to want to be like.

• LOL 5
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, my grandfather took me literally and said Sami's nobody to want to be like.

Sami made stuff happen.  You can root against her schemes but still appreciate a character who is proactive as opposed to reactive.  That's how I think villains took over so much on soaps and in popularity, somewhat.  Heroes and heroines are so often reactive but almost every villain is proactive.

• Love 5

While I do not specifically remember Stuart Damon (best known as Dr. Alan Quartermaine on GH) appearing on Days, details in write ups and the Days Wiki page lists him as a past actor.

In any case, in case anyone missed it, Stuart Damon has died at age 84.