Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Kimmy Has a Birthday!

(edited)

The Artisanal Frozen Water was so damn funny that DH and I had to pause it because we were laughing so hard. And then when the chest was opened and it revealed four perfect cubes, silver tongs and a history of the AFW, I nearly died. 

Edited by Lawgiver
  • Love 15

I was wondering about Kimmy's family up to this point, so I was glad to see that addressed, though I guess we're still waiting on her mother.  I thought her stepfather was a little too cartoonish, even given that this is a sitcom.  Loved seeing Kiernan Shipka.

• Love 7

This was my least favorite episode. It was too much of a clusterf**k.

I agree. It was the least funniest episode. And the heroin stuff and her stepdad was just too much for me.

I did think the boyfriend was pretty funny with his 4 cubes of ice and Kimmy being disappointed with receiving clothes. But otherwise it was one-note.

• Love 4

I agree this episode wasn't the best. It had A LOT of good points and so many great gags and laugh-out-loud moments, but some of the core elements just didn't land properly. The heroin was a bridge too far. If it had been any other drug, it probably would have been funny. Maybe it's because I just finished a re-watch of The Wire, but that hit a bit too hard to have any comedic impact. The two guys fighting over Kimmy was unoriginal, even though the execution was humorous. But that's what I mean. The details were good, the one-off jokes, the direction, the choreography, the sight gags, all that was great, but the main storylines were just a bit uninspired. Like a mediocre cake with really spectacular icing.

However, it has not dampened my enthusiasm for the show in the slightest. I can't wait to see the rest!

• Love 7

I thought the stuff with the heroin was funny because I was impressed that they would go there. 

I was kind of disappointed that they made the rich boyfriend guy a jerk so quickly though. 

Also Ellie Kemper looked smoking at the party.

• Love 3

This was an off episode, but Titus singing Firework at the end kind made up for a lot.

I also enjoyed Kymmi's love of the Olive Garden.

Kimmy's critique of Firework as not rhyming very well and that she wasn't sure if she liked being compared to a plastic bag also made me LOL.

• Love 10

Ha, I loved Kymmi's obsession with Olive Garden.

I liked that despite the absurdity of the show, they still capture some realistic things like how chaotic birthdays can be.

What is going to happen when Kimmy hears "Firework" on the radio? Probably ask Titus if he sold his song to Katy Perry?

The artisanal frozen water was hilarious. Just four perfect ice cubes and a pair of silver tongs for the most discerning palates.

• Love 1

I must be an evil person, because I laughed at the sheer audacity of the jokes about heroin and men with vans (including one who provided a bra fitting). Who DOES that kind of humor? Well, I guess we all know who does. Her name rhymes with Beena Shmay, and apparently I'm her bitch.

The stepdad character was very broad, but I was quick to forgive because it was Tim Blake Nelson being Tim Blake Nelson. (Same reason I readily accepted the cartoonish plastic surgeon who was a quintessential Martin Short character.)

I loved that Dong's answer to artisinal frozen water was a chunk of ice that fell off an air conditioner and hit him on the head.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 6

The Artisanal Frozen Water was so damn funny that DH and I had to pause it because we were laughing so hard. And then when the chest was opened and it revealed four perfect cubes, silver tongs and a history of the AFW, I nearly died. 

It was also a nice call-back to/extension of the boxes of infused oxygen that were served at the restaurant opening Liz Lemon attended with Gray, the "hair" of The Head and the Hair in 30 Rock's first season.

Just randomly picked this ep to rewatch and still really enjoyed it. Loved the cold open and I think I laughed the hardest when Titus called Kimmy, "Kimbecile" when he stopped her from going into the van to get "liquor" from the guy on the street.

And the prior exchange with said van guy:

Guy: I got some liquor in my van, you can have all you want if you come to my van. 

Kimmy: Your van?!!   Awesome."

• Love 2

I have a hard time believing that a woman who was kidnapped and spent 15 years in an underground bunker would be anything less than wary of creepy white men with vans.

The Artisanal Frozen Water was a great sight gag, as was the block of ice from the air conditioner. "Your experiences are not universal!" "Oh, so it's pushsies-shovsies now, is it?"

I've actually just started watching Mad Men (and by "just started" I mean I'm binge-watching the hell out of it as fast as I can) so it was cool to see little Sally Draper (almost) all grown up here.

"Why do my heels keep sticking to the floor?" "Not because this is just painted-over dirt. This is a real apartment." Never change, Lillian.

"I Beat That Bitch With A Bat" was catchy. I feel so dirty.

Overall, yeah, I agree that this was probably the weakest episode. But it still had enough great moments that it wasn't a total wash.

• Love 5

I loved the "Keyser Sew-say" joke so much because it was such a tiny joke but the way Kimmy came up with the name was the exact same one that Keyser Soze himself had used to come up with his story in The Usual Suspects. This was great.

Also, tomorrow is my birthday and I'm turning 29. I've just returned from the store where I wanted to buy some alcohol... and I did forget my ID at home, so no alcohol for me (bummer!) I was kinda shocked to see the opening of the episode having the exact same stuff, the birthday and the ID trouble. That was an amazing coincidence. (And no, nobody tried to lure me to a van).

• Love 4
(edited)

I have a hard time believing that a woman who was kidnapped and spent 15 years in an underground bunker would be anything less than wary of creepy white men with vans.

Seriously. That aside, she was in middle school when she was kidnapped, and this is one of the (very rare) occasions where the show makes it seem she was much younger. I knew at twelve that if a stranger told me to go into his van, it was not a good idea to take him up on that offer. 

Edited by Azaelia
  • Love 3

Wasn't Kimmy in high school when she was bunkerized? Your point is still valid, but I'm sure she was 14/15 when snatched (as they celebrated her 30th birthday on the show), which is typically a freshman (or sophomore) in high school.

I still enjoyed the episode, but it did feel very different from the rest, mainly because of the heroin humor that didn't always work, and Kimmy was pretty angry and loud throughout all of it.  I get why she was upset with Randy and whatnot, but I get that it could be grating. Still, I thought Ellie Kemper shined as usual when it counted.

Usually I despise love triangles, but I might actually get a kick out of this one, if this episode was any indication.  The "fight" between Dong and Logan was awesome.  And I loved all the stuff like the fancy ice Logan brought (only four cubes!  From the "Icery"), and Dong constructing the bike parts he stole off of other bikes.  It does look like they are going down the typical route of having Logan being a jerk, so Dong will probably be the right one, so it still is pretty cliched.

Randy was over-the-top, but I still enjoyed a lot of what Tim Blake Nelson did.  Kieran Shipka though, just cracked me up as Kymmi.  She pretty much was like what Sally ended up being on Mad Men.  Kieran has clearly mastered the art of playing the sullen, angry teen.

Titus singing "Fireworks" was fun, although I kept waiting for the reveal to be that Kimmy had already heard the song before.

I was tickled over Kimmy referring to Olive Garden as "The O.G."

Am binge watching now. This is the first episode that felt off to me. Didn't love Angry Kimmy and thought that the step dad was too cartoonish.