Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Dead Men Tell Long Tales

I loved Henry's amusement at Jo's bringing the gun. 

As for the story at then end, all I kept thinking is how that doesn't explain the skeleton of the man who allegedly wrote that all down.

Also, for the very end, at least Henry is being given the choice to explore, rather than Adam forcing it on him to test out the theory. Though, I'm not sure how much I trust it'll stay like that. 

• Love 4

I loved Henry's amusement at Jo's bringing the gun. 

As for the story at then end, all I kept thinking is how that doesn't explain the skeleton of the man who allegedly wrote that all down.

Also, for the very end, at least Henry is being given the choice to explore, rather than Adam forcing it on him to test out the theory. Though, I'm not sure how much I trust it'll stay like that. 

Well, I think that the skeleton of the man - I forget the name, the scholar - died while they were on the boat "up north" (read: the future Canada). The story Adam told said that the slaves freed themselves with the key, then revolted - took over the boat. I initally thought that the man died while on the boat, before they landed in Canada, and they put him in a coffin for land burial, but the ship went down before it reached land. But then unless he had a pregnant wife/gf along, how would he have an ancestor? They said that the boat went down around 1814? So did Henry would not have been involved in the War of 1812. He was still in England at the time.

So next theory is that the boat landed in Canada, they made a life, and the boat stayed afloat in bay for a while, but still not in good shape. The guy gets a wife, a son or daughter, dies maybe after a year or two later, and since its symbolic, they bury him in the boat itself and deliberately sink it as his last burial. I have no clue. It didn't quite make sense.

I liked that Adam gave Henry the pistol - giving him a choice now, that Adam didn't have. But if I was Adam, I would also ask Henry to shoot him with the pistol. It's very possible that there is some magic or something in each artifact that is the same, therefore can kill these immortal people. Only, the possibility exists that the pistol would them blow up itself, since it's fragile. Kinda feel sorry for Adam actually. 2000 years of dealing with the never-ending dregs of humanity, and all of their - and life's cruelties - no wonder he's crazy.

So Henry died of syphilis at one point? Made me laugh. He would have had a long time to die - it usually takes almost 20 years before one succumbs to the illness. Maybe that's why he's such a angel now because he knows.

Not a bad episode. Didn't get the charm coming from Isaac (Cuba Gooding's character) - is that his name? - and don't see any chemistry between Jo and him, but he's as close to normal as she gets in her life. I'll give it another episode. Did like that he wanted to find the boat, because it was his ancestor. I liked that.

And I love Lucas and Hanson. And have to say it - even though he's geeky, Lucas was filling out that Henley quite nicely. I'd like to see a case focus on him, like a more serious background stuff on him, that we find out why he's a strange as he is or even some simply drama in his life. Henry is too quick to dismiss him, so I'd like to see the others learn a bit more about Lucas and gain some respect for him.

• Love 5

Did this episode air already? I thought it was tonight?

New episodes of Forever airs Monday nights in Canada. The US airing is Tuesday night. Basically, if you don't want to be spoiled, because we've seen the episode already, don't pop into this thread from Monday night to Tuesday night. *grin*

• Love 1

I literally guffawed when Marvin Gaye popped up on the playlist.  It's the ultimate clichéd icing on the stereotypical power-date cake.

Of course Jo took her pistol with her. 

CGJr never claimed to be descended from the scholar.  He said "One of their descendants could find that ship..." which means the scholar could have been killed at the time of the revolt.  Placed in the coffin to await later burial, which never occurred because the ship sank as it approached landfall. The map could have been drawn prior to the revolt, or perhaps drawn later, by someone other than the scholar -- perhaps by CGJr's actual ancestor. 

• Love 6

I thought Henry said to CGJr that CGJr was the direct descendent of the scholar, which is why he (CGJr) was so interested in finding the ship in the first place and CGJr just smiled knowingly. Maybe I missed that.

I did love Jo being so ackward, since it has been such a long time since she went on a date. Love Alana de le Garza in the role.

• Love 3

I don't have much to add, other than I like Abe's instinct to get food before a B&E, but I did appreciate that the episode ended on a 'feel good' note.  There's too little of that on TV these days.  It's also nice that Henry has a burden lifted from him.

• Love 5

Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part, but I kept trying to envision Cuba Gooding's eyes as one of those pairs of eyes behind the bars on the ship.  What if he isn't telling the story of his ancestor, but is telling the story as he remembers it?  What if all of his money came from 200 years of investment?

• Love 8

I had the same thought, j5cochran. I would think he'd recognize Henry, if that was the case, though.

I really like this show and am very sad the season is coming to an end without much hope of a renewal.

I agree a Lucas focused episode would be enjoyable. I like him, and I wish Henry would warm up to him just a little more. They actually have some quirkiness in common, and I bet Lucas would be fascinated by Henry's stories and fact dumps, when other people are bored and rolling their eyes. I can picture Abe saying to Lucas: "Thank God he has someone else to repeat those stories to!"

• Love 4

Oh! I forgot about this forum. I really enjoy this show, and this episode was no exception. Good mix of silly, implausible, touching, backstory (waaaay back story), and this thing with Jo and CGJr is very promising to me!

Question--I tried to Soundhound it, but I was too slow. What was the song playing at the end, as Henry heard the clock ticking and just before Adam called?

And what was it with the clock ticking? Was it because since he has the means of mortality in his hands, he can now feel the passage of time? Or....something else?

• Love 3
I had the same thought, j5cochran. I would think he'd recognize Henry, if that was the case, though.

I also had the same thought, j5cochran and possibilities.  I thought maybe he did recognize Henry and that's why he told him about how the key allowed the slaves to free themselves, but he wasn't ready to tell Henry who he actually was.   

Cuba Gooding Jr. is very charming and handsome, and Alana de le Garza is beautiful and quirky and likeable, and they make a beautiful looking couple together, but they do not have a natural chemistry with each other.  at. all.  Maybe it will improve next week.  

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 2

I really enjoy this show, it's fun and entertaining and the characters have enough depth to make them likeable and interesting, even the secondary characters. The relationships between them are also very well handled (love Henry/Abe relationship).

I would love for this show to go on, but with the episode this week I really felt that the writers/producers know they will not be renewed and they are trying to wrap up the whole story before the end of the season.

• Love 4

The fight made me wince... it was so... bad. Have they never seen martial artists who happen to be women? If she is a cop, she'd have beaten the other lady preeety quickly.

• Love 1

The fight made me wince... it was so... bad. Have they never seen martial artists who happen to be women? If she is a cop, she'd have beaten the other lady preeety quickly.

The other lady was a professional deep sea diver, so maybe part of her workout routine includes kick boxing or something.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about physical fighting, often look away from such scenes, and when I do watch them, often cannot figure out who is doing what to whom.

• Love 2
I thought maybe he did recognize Henry and that's why he told him about how the key allowed the slaves to free themselves, but he wasn't ready to tell Henry who he actually was.
Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part, but I kept trying to envision Cuba Gooding's eyes as one of those pairs of eyes behind the bars on the ship.  What if he isn't telling the story of his ancestor, but is telling the story as he remembers it?  What if all of his money came from 200 years of investment?

Oh, I like this idea a lot. A LOT. Because it could put a twist to how Henry (and Adam) for the matter were made immortal, could be killed in the future. Adam thinks it's the weapon that killed him/Henry, but what if it's something else, in conjunction with a weapon. That's why CGJr made it too. He would have been maybe behind the guy with sharpened teeth, hard for Henry to see in the darkness of the ship's hold.

Then of course, like Henry, CGJr isn't going to be telling anyone about his condition - even Henry - until he gets to know him a bit better, can trust him, etc. We've seen Adam do some shady stuff, have shady motives, so CGJr could think the same of Henry, or have those motives himself.

Final twist - Adam and CGJr are working together, which is why Adam could so easily take the gun from the museum and hand it to Henry - he has permission. See, the show could be renewed and this could be covered in season 2. Ugh.

And I keep referring to the character by the actors name.. what was the character name?? I thought it was Issac...

• Love 5
they do not have a natural chemistry with each other.  at. all.

I think a certain amount of awkwardness makes sense, given that Jo hasn't gone on too many dates since her husband died, but I agree that there doesn't seem to be much potential chem between CGJ and AdlG. I also thought Cuba's character was kind of  smarmy. Sending red roses? The world's most generic flower? Up your game, dude.

Henry's history with the boat was way too neatly tied up for me.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

The other lady was a professional deep sea diver, so maybe part of her workout routine includes kick boxing or something.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about physical fighting, often look away from such scenes, and when I do watch them, often cannot figure out who is doing what to whom.

Hardly. Deep diving has nothing to do with kickbox. :) I have trained martial arts most of my life... I HATE fighting with women, because most women don't mess around with trying to hit you, due to slimmer and smaller frames, women just aim to finish the fight as quickly as possible. Of course, this is a tv show, but mos fights end up from really close, you go for eyes, soft parts of the body/neck and so on... not standing two hands away and rolling on the floor. :) I almost expected hair pulling (though it is completely legit way to steal someone's balance). Real fight is not entertaining and is scary... just... for some reason the sleazy song with the recent idiotic episode in Perception in which we had random nudity and woman-on-woman kiss for no apparent reason irked me enough to be pissed by the cat-fight on the screen... Ah, never mind.

In regards to the weapon, I think that it is not the weapon as well, I think it is random chance that they are ACTUALLY immortal and this is the first time they realize that, when someone tries to kill (kills them) and they are re-spawn to the place in which they died the first time, like it was their safe point. :)

• Love 2

I can't remember the part of the backstory about him getting shot. Wasn't there a slave who also got killed and thrown overboard with Henry? Was the slave shot with the same gun? (Could the slave also be immortal?) I can't imagine slave traders would have "wasted" a bullet on a slave rather than just toss him over the side alive, but I only vaguely remember the scene.

Did Henry die from the bullet or was he still alive when he was thrown overboard and subsequently drowned (or bled out after being thrown overboard) In other words, did he die on the ship or in the water?

Does Adam have any specific reason (that we've been told) to believe that the original weapon will do the job or is he just guessing? If it's the weapon alone, you would think that gun might have killed other people before Henry got shot with it.

It's an interesting idea.. that specific weapons make people immortal, but I would think there was some other condition that played a part. What would make a gun or dagger that special?

Unfortunately, we'll probably never get to know.

• Love 3

Isaac and Jo: Oh Jo! He is handsome, charming, and he cooks for you on your first date! :) I say date him! Henry isn't ready for a relationship, so go and be with Isaac for now.

Adam and Henry: Oh no! Henry! Don't try out Adam's theory!!! :(

Henry and Mike: I love how they were at Isaac's door and Henry was like this doesn't sound like sex! ROFL! Well it's a good thing that Jo brought her gun!

Lucas: Lucas made me laugh with all the gold talk and he was trying to tell Henry that he wants to be partners with him! ROFL! Then Henry finally gets it hahaha!

Henry and the clock: I'm confused about that scene at the end. Why was Henry so freaked out about the clock?

The lady with two different color eyes: I'm confused. The guy in the beginning that died, was her brother? But who killed her brother?

There are never before deleted forever scenes on youtube. I shared the link on forever in the media. They are pretty cool. :)

• Love 2

Maybe he did recognize Henry.  His repeated references to the man with the key seemed a little too knowing for mere coincidence. 

I'm interested to see how/if they explain the skeleton and the coffin.  Right now it doesn't seem to add up.

A skull with what almost appeared to be fangs, resting in a coffin.  My first thought was that Forever is now introducing vampires to the show. 

• Love 3
The lady with two different color eyes: I'm confused. The guy in the beginning that died, was her brother? But who killed her brother?

She killed the guy at the beginning, her brother died while diving for the ship and she blame Rick and Cuba.
  • Love 2

The idea that it's the weapon really does present a huge problem. Presumably the weapons have been used before, and since, and it would mean there are lots of immortals walking around. I would think it would be noticed.

I also thought the Jo/killer fight looked ridiculous. I forgive it because they do so much else really well.

Maybe he did recognize Henry.  His repeated references to the man with the key seemed a little too knowing for mere coincidence.

This is a problem I had with the whole character: Cuba was chewing some major scenery. And I couldn't tell if it were an acting choice meant to imply suspiciousness about Isaac, or if Cuba's just gotten lazy and was overacting. His weird attitude in all the scenes gave me this unsettling vibe where it was suspicious but not clearly intentional.
  • Love 3

I understand why Adam thinks the very weapon that first killed Henry can finally end his immortality but . . . that pistol doesn't look functional anymore. It looks like half of it is missing and the other half is corroded with barnacles and calcium. How is anyone supposed to fire that thing?

And we still don't know why, exactly, that first death caused Henry to become immortal. I hope they address this before the show meets its inevitable end this season.

This was the first episode where I thought Ioan Gruffudd's acting was hammy and over the top. It was the scene where they had the victim's body on the slab and Henry was describing how he'd died and how he found the gold in his tooth. There was just something about this scene where he was really off, like he was coked up or something.

I'm interested to see how/if they explain the skeleton and the coffin.  Right now it doesn't seem to add up.

A skull with what almost appeared to be fangs, resting in a coffin.  My first thought was that Forever is now introducing vampires to the show.

The slave who spoke English had his teeth sharpened. I think Henry said something about it being a West African thing - I don't know. But I do know it was done by some. (I bet they never got in the habit of biting their lips when concentrating!)

I like the idea that Isaac is a fellow immortal. As for recognizing Henry - well, 200 years is a long time. Even for someone as pivotal to your life as that. There's an actor on the rise who I'd been watching for 2 years before I realized he was the spitting image of my ex - who I last saw 20 years ago - and I spent years (not less than a day) seeing that face.

• Love 1

The captain of the slaver might have shot the African with the same gun that shot Henry, making both of them immortal.  Shortly afterwards, it sank to the bottom of the sea with the ship, and could do no more mischief.  It clearly has magical, or supernatural, properties.  So even in its current condition it might work. 

The blade that blessed (or cursed) Adam might also be lost -- dropped in a crevice, buried under lava, etc.  So there could be very few immortals running around the planet.  And if Adam is right, some of those immortals might have used their weapons to kill themselves -- before the weapons were lost. 

I forget.  What happens to Henry's body, each time he dies?  Does it vanish that second? 

• Love 1

It might not be just the weapon, though, either... if it's the weapon at all... this is just a theory of Adam's. Which after 2000 years, it make sense he'd come up with some odd theories.

There has to be something special about Henry, so even if it has to do with the gun he was shot with, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone else killed with that weapon would become immortal... Just that when Henry died the first time (however he died), he was going to come back to life... that's what makes the gun special vs the gun already having those magical properties.

Really, the writers can go any direction with this at this point, since there is nothing to contradict and it's a made up thing where people come back to life every time they are killed. Sort of like how Henry still has his watch even if the rest of him and his stuff vanishes when he dies.

• Love 2
(edited)

Isaac being a fellow immortal makes sense if only because it seems like a waste to cast an Oscar winning actor as a guest star for a two episode arc as a rich guy who goes on a date with Jo.

And since we are near the end of the season, maybe this was a deliberate choice to help with getting a second season. This way the show can tell the network executives we have a big name actor as a recurring character.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I understand why Adam thinks the very weapon that first killed Henry can finally end his immortality but . . . that pistol doesn't look functional anymore. It looks like half of it is missing and the other half is corroded with barnacles and calcium. How is anyone supposed to fire that thing?

Didn't say he had to be shot with the gun, just killed again with it. Maybe someone can bash his skull in with the remains of the pistol? ;) Edited by theatremouse

I thought that Henry had requested to examine the gun as evidence. I didn't realize Adam gave it to him. I was thinking that he'd stolen it and I was wondering how he thought he was going to get away with that.

I don't remember if the slave Henry died protecting was shot or not-- I thought they just threw him overboard to drown. Interesting that Adam said that when he still had the dagger he was stabbed with, that he felt different but that he had somehow lost the dagger. He could just be entirely wrong about it being the thing that could end his life, but if he believed it, maybe it gave him hope. Henry hearing the clock ticking once he had the gun could have been a psychological thing rather than it actually being able to end his life. I highly doubt it would be able to fire. Although, maybe being shot again with it might make him mortal but not kill him instantly. Who knows.

I loved Lucas doing the pirate jokes and then making fun of people getting shot with muskets-- talking about how dimwitted and slow someone would have to be to get shot with one. And Henry is just standing there having to listen to it without being able to say anything to correct him. LOL.

I really like how supportive the characters are of one another on this show. The boss and Hanson were both trying to make sure that Jo could have a shot with Isaac. I also found it interesting how it almost seemed like Henry was going to tell Isaac not to hurt Jo's feelings, but he ended up just talking about the boat. I loved that you could almost see tears welling up when he realized that he did end up helping to save them.

A continuity nitpick that has me confused though: In a previous episode, Henry found out that his father was letting his ships be used for slave transport. He confronted his father and was very upset. The father basically apologized and then died. But in this episode, Henry is on the ship and they said he was the son of the owner-- but wasn't his father dead? When did he have time to go confront his father and watch him die? Had his father died and he just not told people? The estate would have been left to him, so he would have been able to just order the slave trade to stop. That part didn't make sense to me.

• Love 1

A continuity nitpick that has me confused though: In a previous episode, Henry found out that his father was letting his ships be used for slave transport. He confronted his father and was very upset. The father basically apologized and then died. But in this episode, Henry is on the ship and they said he was the son of the owner-- but wasn't his father dead? When did he have time to go confront his father and watch him die? Had his father died and he just not told people? The estate would have been left to him, so he would have been able to just order the slave trade to stop. That part didn't make sense to me.

Hmmm...Maybe Henry learned about his father's slave ship enterprise, boarded the ship to try to set the slaves free, got shot and thrown overboard, died, came back to life, and then went to confront his father. I don't recall the substance of his conversation with his father; would the scenario I described fit? Or did he learn of his father's slave trading in that conversation?

If so, maybe instead: Immediately after his father dies, before news of his death has spread to the ship captain, Henry attempts to free the slaves on the ship before they can be sold to someone else.

This may not be accurate, but I seem to recall that Henry got shot trying to save a sick slave who the ship captain wanted to just throw overboard. This would have been in an early episode before the father story was revealed. No?

• Love 1

Didn't say he had to be shot with the gun, just killed again with it. Maybe someone can bash his skull in with the remains of the pistol? ;)

HA! This made me guffaw. 

This may not be accurate, but I seem to recall that Henry got shot trying to save a sick slave who the ship captain wanted to just throw overboard. This would have been in an early episode before the father story was revealed. No?

Yeah I remember this too, (what episode was that by the way?) but that would have been just another reason on top of the missing key and suspicions of the captain that Henry was undermining him. I don't think the order of the flashbacks matter as much as the content. Henry's first "death" was shown before we knew about the father's slave ships, yes. In this last episode the captain's confrontation in front of the cells Henry was about to open, was interrupted by need of the doctor because someone was sick (I imagine this is the same sick slave he was trying to help when he was shot). Henry's sympathy for the slaves had already been somewhat revealed, as was the captain's bullheaded aggression towards Henry and anyone standing in his way.

Edited by Check Sanity
  • Love 2

I loved Lucas doing the pirate jokes and then making fun of people getting shot with muskets-- talking about how dimwitted and slow someone would have to be to get shot with one. And Henry is just standing there having to listen to it without being able to say anything to correct him. LOL.

I think that was my favorite part (Lucas laughing about how slow someone would have to be to get shot with that kind of weapon, going on about how the shootee could have simply walked away from the shot, LOL). The look on Henry's face... heeeee. Priceless. 

I loved the ticking clock at the end. After 200 years, Henry has probably become numb to the concept of time passing. He probably never noticed the ticking clock before. But now that he knows he may hold in his hands the very weapon that could end his life forever, suddenly the passage of time becomes more real and in his face. I like this thought, that he may have the chance to leave at long last, but realize that he doesn't want to go yet. He has Abe, and Jo, and a life built in NYC that he enjoys. After all his years of messing around, studying death and trying to find answers, he may not want to go after all. It's very interesting to me, and I really hope the showrunners get to explore this and that Forever gets a second season.

• Love 3

I also found it interesting that Adam said he never had the nerve to try to kill himself with the knife when he had it. I think that once he lost it, it was also part of what sent him over the edge. Now he no longer had a way out. He felt trapped. But he wants to know if it will work. I like that he's backed off of Henry at least a little and that they have come to somewhat of an understanding. It's too bad that the guy is so nutso and can't just be a mentor to Henry in a friendly way. I really hope that somehow they will decide to renew it (even though its unlikely).

• Love 4

this is just a theory of Adam's. Which after 2000 years, it make sense he'd come up with some odd theories.

Maybe he found it on the internet. That's why it took 2000 years!

• Love 3

A continuity nitpick that has me confused though: In a previous episode, Henry found out that his father was letting his ships be used for slave transport. He confronted his father and was very upset. The father basically apologized and then died. But in this episode, Henry is on the ship and they said he was the son of the owner-- but wasn't his father dead? When did he have time to go confront his father and watch him die?

Chronologically, Henry must have died on the ship after confronting his father and after his father died. He would still be the "owner's son" regardless of whether or not his father was alive. And it's possible Henry himself did not immediately become the new owner of the shipping business. Maybe the ownership was held in a trust or something and run by someone else. 

• Love 3

Chronologically, Henry must have died on the ship after confronting his father and after his father died. He would still be the "owner's son" regardless of whether or not his father was alive. And it's possible Henry himself did not immediately become the new owner of the shipping business. Maybe the ownership was held in a trust or something and run by someone else. 

This makes more sense to me because I found it questionable that the captain would take the risk of murdering the owner's son. Sure, they could concoct a story of him getting swept overboard, but there were a number of witnesses, and the captain would have had to have absolute faith in all of them (the crew, I mean, not the slaves). There was a real risk of the father (owner) finding out what had happened to his son and that woudl not have been good for the captain.

Maybe he found it on the internet. That's why it took 2000 years!

Bwa Ha Ha! You win the thread!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

If the show is cancelled, I thought this was a lovely ending to the series. Henry found out he did not actually cause the death of the slaves. He gave his son more details from his past lives. Very nicely done.

• Love 2

Sorry folks but Isaac and Obi (the slave) were two different actors.  It's unlikely that Isaac is immortal but he could very well be the direct descendent.  Although that doesn't really explain why Obi's writings survived unless the ship sailed for quite some time before sinking.

There was more than one slave on the boat. The English speaker wasn't necessarily the scholar, or the map maker. During the brief scene when Isaac was talking about the slaves, the camera seemed to focus on someone else, but it went by too fast for me to tell. And Isaac, if he is an immortal, would not necessarily have been an English speaker at the time.

I like the idea of him being immortal partly because there would be balance with Henry's fellow immortals - sort of the angel and devil on his shoulders.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Plus Isaac specifically referred to "one of their descendants". So he was not saying he descended from the guy who found the key/Henry had spoken with/was the scholar/made the map. Isaac could be implying he was descended from anyone on the boat, or could have been on the boat and be immortal. Although he doesn't quite look the part, but I do think it's possible that's where the show is/would be going (were it to go on.)

• Love 1

Here's another speculation about Cuba's character and Henry.  The gun didn't make Henry immortal: the African (Cuba) did.  That requires him to have magical powers, but magic is after all part of the universe of this show.  My thought is that he made Henry immortal out of gratitude, after seeing him give his life so the Africans might be freed.

ETA: the corollary is that Cuba might also know how to end this immortal spell. 

Edited by kikaha
  • Love 2

Here's another speculation about Cuba's character and Henry.  The gun didn't make Henry immortal: the African (Cuba) did.  That requires him to have magical powers, but magic is after all part of the universe of this show.  My thought is that he made Henry immortal out of gratitude, after seeing him give his life so the Africans might be freed.

ETA: the corollary is that Cuba might also know how to end this immortal spell. 

Of course that would raise the question of who made Adam immortal, especially as it seems to have become a curse rather than a blessing.

Yeah, nothing said the guy who died was the one that Cuba was descended from.  

The notion that Henry was gifted with Immortality by one of the slaves is something that was in my mind too.  Kind of a voodoo type solution.  It would be hilarious if Henry was basically some kind of zombie (except, not really, since we know his body dissolves and is regenerated elsewhere).  

I do think Abe's statement that it wasn't a curse is essential here.  I think Henry was given it as a thank you for rescuing them and dying in the process.  This would be an interesting twist in the mythology--the thing that innumerable people ruthlessly strive for, immortality, being mistaken for a curse by the one who received it, when in fact it was bestowed as a gift.  Turning the whole show on it's ear, so to speak.

• Love 8