Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Hunt

Damn, I was just thinking this was a slow episode, and then they rip off the Ava-Boyd Band-Aid. That was some solid tension there. I still don't understand why Limehouse gave her up. Was he that pissed about Errol?

• Love 2

I wondered that too. I kept waiting for a scene with Limehouse that would give more insight into his motivation behind the "unknown unknowns."

No way Ty is making it out of this season alive.

I did enjoy the chat between Art and Avery.

And I'm still a sucker for Winona and Raylan together.

• Love 4
(edited)

Very good episode with some great interactions.  Loved the Art and Avery scene.  Boyd and Ava is interesting though I'm not surprised if Ava is for real.  She's always been weak in the end...that's why she keeps going back to the likes of Boyd.  Ty with the college students was funny.

"Look what you started, Norma Rae."

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Damn, that hunting trip was intense as hell. I cant believe that Ava finally fessed up to being the rat. Will she and Boyd end up on the same page now? I kind of weirdly like them together, so I would be just fine with that. That last scene with them was 5 kinds of awesome.

Good to see Art out and about again, especially talking with Avery. Good lord that man is scary!

Winona has grown on me a lot over the years, so I`m glad he and Raylan seem to be trying again. God knows, its better than Ava and Raylan. And Raylan with his baby is pretty freaking cute. Why couldn't we have had that earlier?!?!

• Love 4
(edited)

I have always liked Raylan and Winona together.  I like it when a female character questions the selfish behaviors of the male hero.  Winona here was terrific.  She knows Raylan loves her.  Raylan knows Winona loves him.  But Raylan is going to have to make a choice.  Is he going to be a fulltime part of his child's life, a part time  part of his child's life, or just an plain absentee Father?

I loved Rachel not showing interest in holding the baby.  Too cool. And that was despite that being the alltime cutest baby.

The Ava and Boyd tension grew and grew and exploded into one of the more intense emotional sequences of the season.  Boyd tapping his head was an alltime Goggin's acting choice. 

Walker and the frat guys.  Walker and the paramedics.  If only the Emmys* were paying attention!  The sequence between Art and Markham - great stuff.  Jeff Fahey - thank you for being Jeff Fahey!  And sorry Raylan but you look like you would make a great father if you took that path of responsibility!

*The Emmys did get in that much deserved one to Jeremy Davies after the third season.  But when the incredible 4th season was ignored, well I guess the Emmys believe recognition is best served for dramas that spell it all out and take themselves oh so serious. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 7

Yeah, I knew that "hunting trip" was going to turn out being a special one.  A tour de force from Walton Goggins: probably a contender for an Emmy submission (of course, who knows if the Emmys will recognize it, since they quit after season two.)  Watching Boyd slowly and surely freak Ava out, and her finally confess, was great to watch.  But, he's going to spare her, because she truly claims that she's on his side.  At this point, I have no idea.  Part of me thinks she might be still trying to stay alive, but another part thinks she really does want to go back to Team Boyd now.  Either way, I can't wait to see where this goes.

Also, I know part of it was him acting out to test her loyalty, but I cracked up that her sleeping with Raylan was what caused him to go all emo and hand her the gun, all "Kill me, now!"  Again, part of it was probably an act, but I do think that would almost be worse then snitching on him, in his eyes.

Glad we finally got more of Ty without the shadow of Avery over his shoulder.  No one can play unhinged like Garrett Dillahunt can. The way he executed the paramedic "heroes", was brutal to watch.  Having his back to the wall and no support, is really bringing out the worst of Ty.  I have to think he can only be in the wind for so long.  Question is will he cause more damage, before his time comes to an end?

The Art/Avery face-off was great, even though I think it's probably just painted a big old bulls-eye on Art's back.  I just have a scary feeling that a big character is going to die at Avery's hands, in order to sell him as the endgame baddie.

So, Winona finally makes another appearance.  I found her annoying at times in the past, but I still get a kick out of her, and the natural rapport between Timothy Olyphant and Natalie Zea.  So, it sounds like they want to give it another go.  We'll... see.  I think somewhere in there, Raylan can be a good father, but I also kind of don't trust him not to fuck it up.  And, that's assuming he'll be standing by the end of this.

Can't go wrong with some Tim and Rachel.  Loved Tim being all "condescending" with Raylan about the credit card trick, and Rachel not putting up with Raylan's "Hold the baby; you seem like the nurturing type!" cracks.  Rachel ain't got time for Raylan's gender-stereotyping bullshit!

• Love 6

Winonna and Raylan still have great chemistry. Raylan staying with Winonna and the baby instead of running all over with the manhunt and then at the end after Ava & Boyd at the cabin was a positive sign for him. Even Rachel seemed surprised he was brushing off work and running after everything work related for prior commitments.

I had to laugh at Winonna asking if he wanted joint custody though. I just can't see him with joint custody. He went all the way to Miami and made no attempt to see that child. 

The Ava/Boyd cabin in the woods was amazing and tense. Kept waiting for a shoe to drop. I suppose the gun had blanks in it before and then at the end he changed it out for actual bullets? Giving Ava the gun telling her to shoot him was a test, she passed. I still don't think Boyd will trust her though.

• Love 3
I know part of it was him acting out to test her loyalty, but I cracked up that her sleeping with Raylan was what caused him to go all emo and hand her the gun, all "Kill me, now!"  Again, part of it was probably an act, but I do think that would almost be worse then snitching on him, in his eyes.

Ha, I was cracking up over that too because it's so typical that she has just confessed to betraying him to the FBI and his main concern was whether she boned Raylan which he would see as an even bigger betrayal. Who cares about federal charges if your fiancée's lady bits have been unfaithful?

I don't know why Raylan bothered to lie about taking the baby to the office. He could have just said that he wanted everyone to see the baby for the first time. But as Winona pointed out, she knows how he is and accepts it so he could have just told her the absolute truth which is that he has a hard time staying away from work ever.

I loved that not only did Rachel not want to hold the baby AND that she called him out on Raylan asking her because she was a woman but also that when the guy behind her asked if he could hold the baby, Raylan said no.

One thing that drives me crazy is when women thank their husbands/boyfriends/partners for watching the baby. Dude, that baby is half of each of you so it shouldn't be a big occasion when the dad watches the baby so the mom can get some sleep. It seems like it's the least you could do. Granted in this case, it's the first time Raylan has seen his daughter (although, HELLO, whose fault is that?) so he had no idea how to cope with a crying baby. I can see how offering to take her for a ride might seem like a brave/monumental thing to do on his own to both Raylan and Winona in this particular circumstance (and that Winona, being southern, has the good manners to thank anyone who does anything). It just really ruffles my feminist feathers when people act like it's this magnanimous act of generosity for the father to have anything to do with the baby. To me it's akin to thanking someone for flushing the toilet. It's not nice of you to flush the toilet and worthy of a thank you. You're a dick if you DON'T and worthy of a scolding if you don't.

• Love 12

To me, Raylan does not seem to express much interest in being a father at all, except that he probably should because it's the "right" thing to do. He has never seen that child until this episode? I don't know- doesn't look to me like that would really work in the long run, but the show seems to want Raylan and Winona together, so..

I hope Ava really is on Boyd's side again, although it's a little ambiguous.

I think Raylan has it in him to be a good father; he has the perfect example of NOT how to do it in Arlo and he's was paternalistic (in a good way) with Loretta in S2, and even in the current season with Avery.  But I don't see Raylan in the long haul with Winona. 

And, OMG, that bullet cutting out scene FINALLY erased me seeing Burt Chance every time Ty is on the screen.  But that was seriously gnarly.

• Love 1

Poor Boyd - he's been betrayed by literally everyone close to him, except Carl. I was really hoping he was going to kill Ava, so I wouldn't have to see her or her denim jacket again.

Much as I love this show(especially the actors), I just can't get past the 2 ludicrous story lines: that Avery and Katherine need to conspire to buy up land for potential marijuanna growing, or that Ava needed to become a CI to get out of jail.

• Love 2

What did they do to make that poor baby scream the entire time? I was even having flashbacks to my third - who went through that phase.  I did find it ironic she stopped crying when Raylan took her. And I agree with upthread, Winona, he owed you at least a night of sleep. Don't thank him. 

Boyd had put an empty magazine in that gun so it was all for show. I was disturbed by the bruises on Ava's neck - the whole thing really. I was glad she called him out on giving up on her in jail - even if she had told him to do just that. I do think he can appreciate her desperation to get out of jail though. I don't think he trusts her. At. All. 

I think Raylan's nonchalant reaction to her being in Bulletsville is going to bite him in the ass.  I don't think he should have dropped the baby and gone but he was a little too - eh, it'll be ok.  He's underestimating Boyd and that never ends well. 

I did like the Art/Avery face-off. And Ty coming completely unwound. I only remember the actor from the Sarah Connor Chronicles and he played a very scary terminator before playing a very sweet innocent terminator. (I know, but it was a really good show that ended too soon). This was more like what I expect from this actor. 

• Love 3

Winona truly disappointed us again  and probably proved it has never been Raylan's fault that their relationship fails.  She acted like a panicked 15 year old girl on her first babysitting job.  I wonder if the character was trying to test Raylan about how much chaos he can take from family life.  I loved the way he reacted to the screaming baby and Winona's hysterics.  As a so-called professional woman, Winona has failed the test.

I thought Limehouse wanted Ava taken out by Boyd so she wouldn't be able to testify about Limehouse's  past activities.  Plus she double crossed him over the promise of money and making him look a fool.

Boyd is alive 'cause he always thinks three steps ahead. The gun play at the cabin - excellent.  The switching of the cartridge - slick - never thought about that.  The look on Boyd's face as he loaded a full magazine in at the end was priceless.

Rachel is trying too hard at being Chief.  There would have been no harm in holding the baby, unless she was insecure with her authority over Raylan.

• Love 1

In the scene, Goggins's hand was clearly on Carter's jaw, whereas the makeup crew put bruises on her neck. (Which I get, don't get me wrong.) Neck bruises rank right up there with swastika tattoos in my book of Men to Avoid, No Kidding. Seriously. Run.

Tara's excellent recap said many of the things I was thinking throughout, including "Why do you all keep having children?"  If I could help, the [inaudible] word in the Ty V EMT scene was 'Sasquatch.' 

I could watch Olyphant make out for hours.

• Love 5

As a so-called professional woman, Winona has failed the test.

I'm sure glad you're not grading me!  ;-)  Winona gave birth just a few months ago, so she's probably still dealing with post-partum hormones.  Throw in lack of sleep, a difficult day travel with a screaming infant, and an absentee father, and I find her very minor melt-down quite understandable.  What I don't really understand is her wanting to be with Raylan.  Their supposed deep love has never rung true to me.

• Love 3

Winona has grown on me a lot over the years, so I`m glad he and Raylan seem to be trying again. God knows, its better than Ava and Raylan. And Raylan with his baby is pretty freaking cute. Why couldn't we have had that earlier?!?!

I've never had the desire to have a baby but seeing that man holding one made my cold heart soften a little--that was adorable.  Although, a lot of the times when Raylan was playing with the baby I got the feeling it was Timothy Olyphant more than Raylan--he just looked too comfortable and goofy.  Not a complaint though, because: seriously adorable.

Can't go wrong with some Tim and Rachel.  Loved Tim being all "condescending" with Raylan about the credit card trick, and Rachel not putting up with Raylan's "Hold the baby; you seem like the nurturing type!" cracks.  Rachel ain't got time for Raylan's gender-stereotyping bullshit!

And Tim's line about Rachel saying "chasing our dicks" sounding strange was great too.  Anytime there's a combination of Rachel/Tim/Raylan it's great.  It makes me more annoyed by the lack of them in Season 5 though.

And, OMG, that bullet cutting out scene FINALLY erased me seeing Burt Chance every time Ty is on the screen.  But that was seriously gnarly.

That was brutal.  I'm not usually squeamish but I had to watch that through my fingers.  I really thought Ty was going to get killed by the end but very glad he survived for another episode.  

Between the tension and the killings and the banter this is turning into one of my favorite seasons.  I'm still fairly bored by Ava (although I was glad something finally happened there--I've been complaining all season that she should have told Boyd the truth from the start) but for the most part it's been really good.  Why are the even years' seasons so great?

• Love 5

This episode= Walton Goggins' emmy submission, and what should be his long overdue award.

From the look Boyd gave Ava in their opening scene while he was climbing the stairs, to the furious tapping of his head when confronting Ava at the end of his episode, Goggins was on another level. Just so, so good.

I loved just how caught up Boyd is, when his first concern isn't that Ava ratted, but rather, if she slept with Raylan.

Ava's awful eyebrows, and Joelle Carter just couldn't keep up.

Whoever cast the bab(ies)? who played Willa, well done.  And yes, I too, hate when Fathers say they're babysitting their kids-- Umm isn't that parenting, and what you should be doing?

• Love 3

I was disappointed we didn't discover that Art Mullen and Avery Markham once dug coal together.

Holy crap though, I'd watch the hell out of a show with Nick Searcy and Sam Elliott as co-leads. It'd be like Raylan & Boyd: The Golden Years. Or something.

• Love 8

Rachel is trying too hard at being Chief. There would have been no harm in holding the baby, unless she was insecure with her authority over Raylan.

Not every woman wants to hold babies (which is why I liked that she asked Raylan if he asked her that because she's a woman). And even if she does like babies and wants to smoosh their adorable cheeks, maybe she was just being a professional since she was at work.

• Love 9

I don't get the Rachel love.  The acting leaves me cold, too stiff.  And she was just uptight bitch last night.  I don't have children and I don't fall to pieces over babies either (puppies and kittens, yes), but damn, she didn't even acknowledge the baby at all which was just downright rude.

As a so-called professional woman, Winona has failed the test.

The hell?  She's sleep deprived for one, which can make the sanest of us turn psychotic and she has a child with a heart condition and she's traveled all the way across the country to find out more about said child's heart condition.  It's a wonder she's not in a xanax induced coma.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't get the Rachel love.  The acting leaves me cold, too stiff.  And she was just uptight bitch last night.  I don't have children and I don't fall to pieces over babies either (puppies and kittens, yes), but damn, she didn't even acknowledge the baby at all which was just downright rude.

But this was the same Rachel who as Raylan's supervisor was getting fed up with Raylan's coming and going as he pleased and sharing or not what info he felt like, especially regarding Ava. Her shortness about the baby was about her shortness with him. He says he's taking the day off and then shows up at the Marshals office with his baby. Shit's getting real and Raylan is giving her the same headaches he gave Art.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 6

Rachel is trying too hard at being Chief.  There would have been no harm in holding the baby, unless she was insecure with her authority over Raylan.

I am a middle-aged woman and I have held one baby, one time, in my entire life. Because I had to in order to be helpful in a situation. I have zero interest in ever doing so when utterly unnecessary. I always think it's odd when people ask me if I want to hold their baby. (I get the "because my damn arms are tired, give me a break" reason, but not the just-because reason)

I'm psyched about the (possible) Winona/Raylan reunion. The show had me worried for a second there that they were going to reunite Raylan and Ava somehow. 

Ava and her hair are not going to be healthy for very long.

• Love 5

I am a middle-aged woman and I have held one baby, one time, in my entire life. Because I had to in order to be helpful in a situation. I have zero interest in ever doing so when utterly unnecessary. I always think it's odd when people ask me if I want to hold their baby. (I get the "because my damn arms are tired, give me a break" reason, but not the just-because reason)

36-years-old and I've picked up a baby once to keep it from crawling out a doorway--I basically plopped it down facing another direction just set it on a new course.  When one of my coworkers brought his baby into the office he made the mistake of thinking I would watch it while he got some work done.  He got an earful because he was only in the office to work on personal crap (not that it would have mattered) and patronizingly assumed I'd be okay babysitting because I was the only girl here.  I was actually a lot ruder than Rachel and I wasn't in the middle of a manhunt :)

I did feel bad for poor Nelson who actually did want to hold the baby.  And I would have liked to see Tim wind up with her--him dealing with a baby would have amused me to no end.  But I'm okay with Rachel not caring--Art made enough of a fuss for everyone.

• Love 5

I don't know, I'm of two minds about Rachel and not holding the baby.  On the one hand, I can understand her wanting to be a professional in the office and not succumbing to the cuteness of a baby in the office.  I can even understand if she doesn't particularly care for babies.   On the other hand, I thought it was rather cold of her not to want to hold the baby.  I also thought Raylan was a dick for not letting the other guy hold the baby.

As for Rachel herself, I must admit I've been disappointed in her acting.  I agree with shirazplease that her acting if rather stiff and cold.  And snippy.  I just thought the actress could do much more with the role since she's more in the spotlight this season.

Winona is a wreck, and it's not just because of the baby.  She strikes me as always having some issues/problems that need to be solved and, frankly, I don't think Raylan really wants to be bothered with that.  I think that he loves her, but she's too much for him to deal with.   I noticed that he wasn't exactly ready to do cartwheels when she told him that she would be willing to live with him wherever he wanted.  

I felt so bad for those two EMTs, especially the rookie.  It's too bad that the first guy was so determined to give first aid instead of him and the rookie just going up the damn hill so Dillahunt could steal the first aid kit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought Ava's ticket was up last night; that whole "let's go hunting" thing brought me back to when Tony Soprano invited Pussy B. to check out a new boat. She passed that test (empty clip thing) but for how long...

Of course Raylan brought the baby to the office; does he have any acquaintances that aren't felons? I didn't make much of Rachel not holding the baby, she's handling a manhunt that Raylan begged out of in the first place, and a couple of hours later he shows up with a +1?

Still, I agree with a poster from above , I too could watch Timothy Olyphant making out all day.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't want Ava ultimately being on Boyd's side.  I understand she loves him but the reality of the situation is, by being with him, she has wrecked her life.  It was her choice.  I get that.  But now I just want her to figure a way out of this mess. 

As for Winona, I have yet to meet a Mom or Dad who does not get tired or worn down when they are taking care of their baby nonstop let alone a baby under the weather.  No one is perfect.  I also think Winona is aware this was a chance for Raylan and his child to bond.  This guy has yet to see his baby and there comes a point where is a parent going to be an absentee parent or not.  By actually holding and taking care of his baby, no matter how temporarily, is the sort of thing to maybe get him to comprehend how special his child is and recognize his responsibility towards to his child.

As for Rachel, she asked right off the bat if Raylan had asked Tim to hold the baby.  That is vital.  If Raylan says yes, maybe Rachel would have held the baby seeing the question was not based in her gender.  However Raylan's response came across as gender bias down to the annoying "nurturing" comment.  Rachel would also be aware that Raylan has been an absentee father up to this point.  So an absentee father asking only the woman in the room of coworkers to hold hos baby because she is "nurturing" is offputting.  It comes across less as wanting to share with people how cute his child is to a reinforcement of gender roles, even if unconsciously, and get a break for him from doing what he should have been doing for awhile now..  And Rachel was having no part of it.  That was my favorite moment of the episode.  Good for Rachel.   

Edited by dohe
  • Love 7

I could barely breathe during the Boyd/Ava scene. Last season, so who knows what they'll do. As others have said, Goggins seriously deserves an Emmy. I was a bit confused by Boyd switching the clips at first, but didn't he do that with someone else -- hand them an empty gun and see if they would shoot him? Even with that precaution, I think his emotion was real.

Raylan had me in a love-hate state. Good for finally paying some attention to your daughter and giving Winona a break, but wow, the timing, knowing how volatile things are, especially with Ava, wasn't great. I agree that playing with the baby seemed more like possible Olyphant behavior than Raylan behavior, but I loved Raylan saying he'd take Willa out for ice cream.

I'm glad Ty survived. Killing the paramedics was awful, but he did try to get around them first. He also used the frat boys rather than killing them (although his brand of "kidding" is awfully scary). The eventual confrontation with Markham will be something to see.

However, the screaming baby. I also wonder what they do to babies to get them to scream... but then I wonder, what mother/father is OK with that? Sometimes babies are fussy or crying a bit -- not that I'm comfortable with that either -- but that child was in distress. She doesn't have a clue about filming and multiple takes and why all this is happening. It always makes me really uncomfortable, but this seriously bothered me.

• Love 2
I felt so bad for those two EMTs, especially the rookie.  It's too bad that the first guy was so determined to give first aid instead of him and the rookie just going up the damn hill so Dillahunt could steal the first aid kit.

Did I misunderstand something? I thought the EMTs were a sort of set up - they may have been legit EMTs, but they were out looking for him. Ty had a line something about "a guy with a beard", didn't he? And that EMT went toward him with a needle -- which - I'm no EMT, but I think you'd get the person settled first - not just jab a guy who was standing up -- and Ty questioned the drug that the guy had used. Not saying Ty needed to kill them, though.

Not saying Ty needed to kill them, though.

Oh, I don't know. I think he did. Not that I'm saying they needed dying, just that Ty has needs the rest of us may not comprehend. Like killing and such.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did I misunderstand something? I thought the EMTs were a sort of set up - they may have been legit EMTs, but they were out looking for him. Ty had a line something about "a guy with a beard", didn't he? And that EMT went toward him with a needle -- which - I'm no EMT, but I think you'd get the person settled first - not just jab a guy who was standing up -- and Ty questioned the drug that the guy had used. Not saying Ty needed to kill them, though.

I don't think it was a set up.  They were EMTs and as EMTs they would have been apprised to be aware that there was a person, possibly wounded, that police were trying to track down.  That is why Walker said the line about a guy with a beard, which was his way of saying you heard about me, a man with a beard, being on the run and when you arrived to what you simply thought was call for help, unrelated to the attempt to catch a criminal, you recognized that I match this guy.  The EMT's weren't looking for a man who had escaped.  They just came across him and were not ready for how Walker easily saw through them realizing he had been id'd. 

As for Ty killing him and the overkill of the scenario, I think that was a way of relating to the audience that, driven by extreme pain and knowing his partner has abandoned him, he is in as foul and volatile a way as possible.  This was a guy who, not long before, was getting ready to shoot his own vehicle after all. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

I don't think it was a set up.  They were EMTs and as EMTs they would have been apprised to be aware that there was a person, possibly wounded, that police were trying to track down.  That is why Walker said the line about a guy with a beard, which was his way of saying you heard about me, a man with a beard, being on the run and when you arrived to what you simply thought was call for help, unrelated to the attempt to catch a criminal, you recognized that I match this guy.  The EMT's weren't looking for a man who had escaped.  They just came across him and were not ready for how Walker easily saw through them realizing he had been id'd. 

When he first went into the bathroom I expected him to shave off the beard like Harrison Ford in The Fugitive.  Sure, the beard is awesome but when you're hiding from the law it seems like the first thing you want to do is change your appearance.

But what was that about the drug? Was it Ty being paranoid?

I think it was a sedative so Ty realized the EMT was trying to knock him out, not help him.

• Love 2
 I think it was a sedative so Ty realized the EMT was trying to knock him out, not help him.

That's what I figured, but I guess I added a layer of suspicion on top of that - that they were just trying to get capture him but maybe even bring him to Avery.

(edited)

I know Raylan used to work with Rachel on a more equal basis, but it's hard to fault her for reacting poorly when her subordinate tries to foist his baby onto her for no other reason but she's female.  And this isn't even beginning to take into account the ongoing manhunt for the highly trained, armed, and psychopathic special forces killer that she's busy overseeing.

So this episode pretty much guaranteed that either Raylan or Winona isn't surviving the end of the series, right?

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 2

As for Rachel, she asked right off the bat if Raylan had asked Tim to hold the baby.  That is vital.  If Raylan says yes, maybe Rachel would have held the baby seeing the question was not based in her gender.  However Raylan's response came across as gender bias down to the annoying "nurturing" comment.  Rachel would also be aware that Raylan has been an absentee father up to this point.  So an absentee father asking only the woman in the room of coworkers to hold hos baby because she is "nurturing" is offputting.  It comes across less as wanting to share with people how cute his child is to a reinforcement of gender roles, even if unconsciously, and get a break for him from doing what he should have been doing for awhile now..  And Rachel was having no part of it.  That was my favorite moment of the episode.  Good for Rachel.   

You know, that's a very good point. And I can't disagree. I'm not sure what was going through Rachel's mind at that point, but I definitely agree that the response was pretty awesome and amusing as hell.

But, in Raylan's defense, I have to point out that he did explain to Rachel that it was because Tim's an asshole. Heh.

Also, just for the record? Babies are outstanding. (For about 3 or 4 minutes per session, anyway.) Big picture, I can totally relate to Rachel's "Ew, keep that thing away from me" attitude. But for just a little while, no strings attached? It boggles my mind that she (or anyone) could resist.

• Love 1

That's what I figured, but I guess I added a layer of suspicion on top of that - that they were just trying to get capture him but maybe even bring him to Avery.

Oh, that's interesting...I didn't even think to suspect Avery.  I sort of forgot about him by that point--I was so worried for the safety of the beard.  It is sort of odd that Avery just left Ty to get caught without trying to clean up the mess.  I guess being hauled into the Marshals' office might have had something to do with that but he should probably be worried about what Ty could say if he's caught.

Which, were we told why Avery was brought into the office?  Was it purely so Art could talk to him?  I thought Art was just there because he was bored unless that was just a story and he had them bring in Avery?

And speaking of Art, is he officially retired or is he on leave?

I've been thinking all along that Raylan and Boyd will be dead before Justified ends.  Tonight with Raylan/Winona reuniting and it looking like Boyd/Ava will work things out, I'm positive they are both dead men walking.

I really think Raylan is not going to make it. With Winona talking about how she preferred the uncertainty of him coming home, rather than the certainty of him not, that just makes me think he is going to die. Also, I just don't see him as the family man type so I don't think there's a way for this to end with him living happily ever after with Winona and the baby.

Also, just for the record? Babies are outstanding. (For about 3 or 4 minutes per session, anyway.) Big picture, I can totally relate to Rachel's "Ew, keep that thing away from me" attitude. But for just a little while, no strings attached? It boggles my mind that she (or anyone) could resist.

I have never held a baby in my life and never wanted to. Have no interest in them at all, much less in a professional setting. I would save one's life if need be, but that would be the only way I would have any interest in touching one. I volunteer and have been caregiver for many adults - babies just don't do a thing for me. Everybody is different.

• Love 3

It was nice of Boyd to pack Ava's (battery operated) hairdryer and curling wand. I'd imagine he keeps a stash of his hairspray under the floor boards at the cabin.

I only ever hold babies if I have to. And I have two of my own.

Watching the final scene with Ava and Boyd I couldn't decide if either of them trust the other at all and have no idea where this is going tp end up. Awesome.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not every woman wants to hold babies (which is why I liked that she asked Raylan if he asked her that because she's a woman). And even if she does like babies and wants to smoosh their adorable cheeks, maybe she was just being a professional since she was at work.

Confession, I don't like holding babies I didn't give birth to. At the same point of my life that Rachel is in, I would have said the same thing. She loves her nephew but that doesn't mean she loves babies. Plus, since Raylan hadn't asked Tim to hold her, she knew he was either trying to soften her up or get her to take over his childcare duty. Uh, no. 

And I felt for Winona. I had one like that. It was a month of sheer wailing before he outgrew colic. Car rides were hell. I've heard an airplane ride with an ear infection is hard on a baby. 

I wonder how long her acceptance of Raylan's job will last. Not long, if the past is any indication.

I can't get below the second quote to type a response but I totally get it. I can't watch The Godfather because of Sonny's incredible screaming kid. I hope that in that movie it's a track - since you don't see the kid every scene but the baby playing Willa was NOT happy and very upset.  It bothered me.

However, the screaming baby. I also wonder what they do to babies to get them to scream... but then I wonder, what mother/father is OK with that? Sometimes babies are fussy or crying a bit -- not that I'm comfortable with that either -- but that child was in distress. She doesn't have a clue about filming and multiple takes and why all this is happening. It always makes me really uncomfortable, but this seriously bothered me.

Edited by soapfaninnc
  • Love 1

I'm not saying I think Rachel should have squee'd and grabbed the baby and turned to a pile of mush, in fact that would have grossed me out a little, but her complete lack of acknowledgment of Willa's um...for lack of a better word, humanness, or her very existence, was just ugly to me.  It's not Willa's fault that Raylan is a pain in the ass.  

Walton Goggins is just everything.  That's all I've got when it comes to him.

• Love 4

The Yost post says it was six babies altogether, although he's unclear whether it was two sets of trips or three sets of twins. That's a lot of baby wrangling, mercy me.

• Love 3

From Graham Yost's post-mortem for the episode:

That baby was really screaming. I forget if it was two sets of triplets, or three sets of twins — there were a lot of babies. We had more babies than they did in American Sniper, and it paid off for us. I don’t know if you heard the story about American Sniper, but the baby fell ill on a particular day, and they had to use a doll. We used a lot of babies, and they were fantastic. Crying, smiling, everything.

Talk about logistics!