Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Hunt

I think Raylon is rather disrespectful of rachel (and Art before her), give they were in the midst of a manhunt which Raylon had decided to skip out on but then show up at the office with baby in tow...kudos to Rachel for generally giving him the cold shoulder. I dont think Raylon realizes the extent to which he is skating on thin ice with Rachel and that scene was supposed to impress as much on us I would guess.

Love love love LOOKING at wynona but she is just ridiculous as a character. The woman has done 1000% of the work of raising that baby yet she treats Raylon as if he has no obligations other than what he chooses to take on and she gives him the option to do whatever he likes re: custody etc? That is so unrealistic. The when you consider one of reasons she left him was, um, people trying to kill them due to his job and now she is like "yes please live with me and this baby and everything can be just as it was before, that's what I want"? Nah, seems very unrealistic to me.

Boyd/Ava is great and the big question rest of season will be whether they are double-crossing each other or actually together. Good stuff.

Scene with Markam and Art. Superb stuff!

• Love 3

I can buy Winona's actions. She loves him, and when people are in love they forgive a lot, make excuses, accept a lot of stuff they shouldn't, etc. She loves him and wants to be with him, so basically she caved and gives in to everything that he might want. You can call her weak, but I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic.

• Love 1

I am so glad Boyd didn't shoot Ava.  I want them together--figuring things out.

Walton Goggins is just everything.  That's all I've got when it comes to him.

Amen. 

• Love 2

I was right there with Rachel about not holding the baby.  Mainly because they were at work, in the midst of a manhunt, and with a suspect in the office (Avery).  All a baby is going to do is distract people from doing their jobs.  

• Love 4

The though occurs to me that Markham's crew has been reduced to the point where it might make more sense for Boyd & Co. to come into the vault from the regular entrance, rather than the mine shaft.

I still have trouble with the marijuana fields premise.  A group of ex-soldiers from a tightly knit Army unit is not likely to waste time and money raiding farms just for available, arable land.  It would make much more sense to buy some owners, and lease land from others, if the patch is what they're looking for.  I think it's something far more serious in line with their former occupations. 

In real life, if the EMTs had been prepped for suspicious people, the first thing they would have done is radio in before making contact with the patient, especially if he bore a strong rsemblance to their boogeyman.  I think they were dead regardless of their actions.  Too many eyes on him that can pinpoint a location.

If the EMTs had been prepped for suspicious people, wouldn't they have had some kind of backup?  Some police officers in the woods?  I can't imagine sending defenseless EMTs to care for a perp.

• Love 1

If the EMTs had been prepped for suspicious people, wouldn't they have had some kind of backup?  Some police officers in the woods?  I can't imagine sending defenseless EMTs to care for a perp.

No.  EMTs do an amazing job and that is one of the dangers.  While they are advised of the possibilities out there, being given back up for them attending to their duties would probably be too much to ask.  That said, once they came up on the scene itself, one of them should have stayed in the vehicle.  But sometimes, in a situation, you aren't thinking in as cogent a manner as normal.

• Love 1

I don't know, I'm of two minds about Rachel and not holding the baby.  On the one hand, I can understand her wanting to be a professional in the office and not succumbing to the cuteness of a baby in the office.  I can even understand if she doesn't particularly care for babies.   On the other hand, I thought it was rather cold of her not to want to hold the baby.  I also thought Raylan was a dick for not letting the other guy hold the baby.

As for Rachel herself, I must admit I've been disappointed in her acting.  I agree with shirazplease that her acting if rather stiff and cold.  And snippy.  I just thought the actress could do much more with the role since she's more in the spotlight this season.

Winona is a wreck, and it's not just because of the baby.  She strikes me as always having some issues/problems that need to be solved and, frankly, I don't think Raylan really wants to be bothered with that.  I think that he loves her, but she's too much for him to deal with.   I noticed that he wasn't exactly ready to do cartwheels when she told him that she would be willing to live with him wherever he wanted.  

I felt so bad for those two EMTs, especially the rookie.  It's too bad that the first guy was so determined to give first aid instead of him and the rookie just going up the damn hill so Dillahunt could steal the first aid kit.

I agree about Winona being a wreck before the baby and I don't think mentally she's the most fit choice to be a mother.  Not that Raylan is fit to be a father either.  But Winona has had issues for a long time.  Her less than healthy relationship with Raylan, that loser second husband of hers, the whole theft thing in Season 2, etc.

• Love 1

This season is doing a great job of keeping the tension going and eventual outcome hidden. They have a lot of open ended situations and relationships - Ava/Boyd, Raylan/Winona, Katherine/Avery - and the various threads with each character. There really is a lot going on.

Like some others, I started to fear for Raylan, Winona and the baby the minute they decided to give the relationship another go. I didn't like what seemed to be a lingering shot of Avery noticing Raylan and the baby in the office.

I also felt Rachel was a little off this episode. I like her character but something was off.

Have no idea where all of this is going but I'm definitely enjoying getting there.

I think I was a jumpy as Ava out there in the woods. Yikes, that was tense.

I'm totally with Rachel. I have no desire to hold anyone's baby, I don't get it when people assume because you are a woman you can't wait to get your hands on every baby you see.

Ty is one BAMF. I do hope he meets his end soon. Killing the paramedics was all kinds of cold.

The Avery/Art convo was all kinds of awesome. So much not said with what was said.

Raylan and Winona. I never really liked her harping all the time, but they are all kinds of sexy together.

• Love 3
(edited)

The moment they decided to try again and Raylan said, "See you soon,", I said, "No you won't."

Unless the show throws a curveball, that was the biggest "he'll never see them again" I've ever seen.

ETA:  I've never been a big fan of Ava -- by that I mean, I like her and the actress just fine but I'm not all hyperbolic about it.  However, that said, she knocked this episode out of the fuckin' park.  Both the character and the actress.  Holy cats, she was awesome.  I'm happy to give specific examples but I would be better off saying, "Just watch the whole episode -- there are too many to count."

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

they were told to look out for a guy matching Ty's description, the didn't know ahead of time that he would be their call. They can't have cops going to every call they get.

(edited)

they were told to look out for a guy matching Ty's description, the didn't know ahead of time that he would be their call. They can't have cops going to every call they get.

I think that's why Ty says "I didn't realize they were gonna send me a couple of heroes". Whether they realized he could be the guy to be on the lookout for before they arrived or after they saw him, one could assume they could have turn around and call for backup, or just go along with his plan.

But it seems to me like they were expecting him to be "the guy", as the first EMT goes right about taking a look at him first and getting the needle ready (which he claims is an antibiotic), not paying attention to the story about "the brother" and he shares a look with the second EMT about calling for a chopper. Ty recognizees the medication as a sedative; It looks like they had planned for it.

Ty says he only wanted their kit to treat himself, implying he wouldn't have killed them if they hadn't try to catch him, but who knows. Maybe their fates were sealed the moment they got out.

Edited by minamurray78
(edited)

I know they can't have cops going to every call they get.  My point was that they apparently knew that this was a criminal they were going to--not just your average person needing medical assistance.  If they were told to look out for the guy and they came across him, seems to me that they would have stayed in the ambulance and radioed the cops.  Also, it still seems that the cops would have been somewhere close in this particular instance.  

Edited by Ohwell

Am I the only person who thought the marks on Ava's neck were hickeys not bruises?

No, you are most certainly not.  I never even thought about his hands on her throat until someone mentioned it here.  I was too happy being distracted by thoughts of rough sex with Boyd.

• Love 2
(edited)

So much talk about whether Katherine or Markham is the snitch.  Adding tags to be safe, 

I think Wynn Duffy is the rat.

I also think that Markham's feigning ignorance or old age re: Art, and earlier on, Arlo Givens,  is a front.

Edited by Febgirl
  • Love 1

Even though I believe Winona loves Raylan and viceversa, my issue with her is that she's hasn't always been, what can I say, steady? She was married to Raylan, then cheated on him with Gary, married Gary and cheated on him with Raylan, then left Gary, or Gary died first, I  don't even remember how that all went. Raylan's a difficult man to be with, I don't think he's gonna stop being the way he is, but I don't think even in a million years, he would have the balls to up and leave her. I believe she does love him, and would rather be with him than without now, but in five years time? ten? who knows.

So even if I wanted to take this as their final reunion ( and this being the last season it may be supposed to be), I can't get quite excited about it. Although T. Olyphant and N. Zea do look quite hot while at it.

• Love 1

I might have missed something but didn't Winona say she came back to KY because a friend of hers recommended a doctor to treat the baby's heart murmur?  There wasn't a good doctor in Florida?  It just seems that she was using that as an excuse to see Raylan.  That's fine and dandy but I wonder if she's overwhelmed with a sick child and that's the real reason she wants to get back with him.  Yes, I think she does love him but I also think that somewhere down the line, if the baby gets healthy, she will, once again, get frustrated with Raylan and leave him. 

I also can't forget that she stole that money.

• Love 1

By actually holding and taking care of his baby, no matter how temporarily, is the sort of thing to maybe get him to comprehend how special his child is and recognize his responsibility towards to his child.

You've hit a nerve here with me dohe. This is exactly what happened for me some 29 years ago when this deadbeat dad saw his son for the first time on his first birthday. The rest is history. Thanks for the validation.

• Love 1
(edited)

I also think that Markham's feigning ignorance or old age re: Art, and earlier on, Arlo Givens,  is a front.

Oh, clearly.  No way is Arlo getting exempted from a Rogues' Gallery of Harlan villains; that would go against the entire point of Arlo; or even, God forbid, of Raylan.  Clearly we're going to find the equivalent of Avery and Arlo digging coal together (logical spec not spoiler).  In fact, it's (Arlo) so clearly a lie, you almost wonder why a man as smart as Avery bothered telling it.  Would've been better to play off your recollections of "that old rapscallion".

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2

I call bullshit if Boyd doesn't marry Ava on the spot & solve this problem. I'm sure the change of ammo means he doesn't trust her, but he can always kill her later. (I am sad about it, because I like Ava & Boyd together, & if Raylan didn't run to Ava's rescue, it should be clear where his heart lies.)

I thought Raylan was hoping to offload the baby at the office, & Rachel called him on it. This is more Rachel than we've had since she had to head off her brother-in-law in season 1. If she's feeling the pressure as a professional woman as things get complicated in this case, that seems reasonable.

Latecomer, this is a great point:  

I thought Raylan was hoping to offload the baby at the office, & Rachel called him on it. 

I don't think it's the only thing going on in that long scene but I do think it adds another layer.  

Perhaps it was a writing/directing choice to have Rachel say, "No."  

A Raylan who would have wanted to farm his baby out would have totally changed where they are sending the character.  The Raylan I'm seeing right now is someone who has been smitten by Willa since he saw her on Skype.  (Perhaps even since she was just an idea.)  If he had farmed the baby out, that would have gone against everything I'm seeing portrayed right now.  But, part of what we're seeing is that he didn't farm her out.  Rachel said, "No."

Whether he wanted to do that or not is unstated.  I rather think that wasn't his plan.  But it might have been.  Better yet, it might have not even been in his mind but had it happened, he would have gone with it just as circumstances rolled on.  We don't know.

But it's a whole new layer and I always like that.  It's credible and believable.  I just don't, personally, think that's where the character is headed.

• Love 1

... the EMTs had been prepped for suspicious people, wouldn't they have had some kind of backup?

It depends on the protocols for the area, I suppose.  Where I live, if there is any hint of a dangerous situation, the first responders, both EMS and FD, are told to stage in a secure area until law enforcement arrives, regardless of patient condition.  Rural areas might be much different.   In this case, however, they died in the service of the plot, so to speak,  so it had to happen that way.

Re:  the EMT's, I thought one of the things I learned from "Cops" marathons (lol) is that the most frequently occurring criminal scenario is: routine traffic stop winds up rousting hardcore or panicked amateur criminals with outstanding warrants and similar when their licenses are run, who pull guns and shoot the cops dead.  This is actually supposed to be why policemen act like such hardasses and repeatedly bark at everyone, no matter how benign-looking, to stick their hands out the car door/glue them on the steering wheel in said routine stops.

At least, that's what I heard.

No, you are most certainly not. I never even thought about his hands on her throat until someone mentioned it here. I was too happy being distracted by thoughts of rough sex with Boyd.

I would enjoy seeing that scene! Hey Justified Gods! Can you throw the ladies a bone and give us some Walton Goggins nudity before the show is up? Thanks!

• Love 1

I am way behind in watching these.  But didn't Boyd say that he shot the first hog of the season?  And then the next shot is of him cooking something in a small frying pan over a campfire?

You can't just shoot the hog and cut off a little piece of meat to cook.  It's not a fish.  You have to hang it up and drain out all the blood and get the intestines and bowels out so that the meat isn't spoiled.  And they weigh hundreds of pounds and are usually hauled up with a block and tackle.  Certainly skinny little Boyd Crowder and Ava couldn't do it by themselves without being covered in blood.  Why didn't they have him shoot a rabbit?

Sorry if this is nit picking, but a show that prides itself on getting those "country" details correct shouldn't have missed something this big.

• Love 4

I've just binged out this entire series brginning to end, never watched it on first run, so I'm very late.  My question, we've always seen Raylan driving these big black land yachts which I assume are Government issue because he seems to get a new one now and then.  When did he have time to install a baby seat in one, or did he just plop the kid on the front seat after volunteering to take her for a calming ride to the cop shop?