Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

I think the EP's wanted an ATOM show but the network wasn't giving them money for that with Ray not being that popular. Then they had to sell it as something else. I'm just wondering if it was DC that wanted Lotz involved with it. Geoff Johns seemed to really like Caity's portrayal of the Canary at SDCC. 

• Love 4

Does anybody else get the feeling that this spin-off was originally supposed to be an Atom series?

That's exactly what it was supposed to be, but it's their own fault for the poor set-up of Ray Palmer/Atom. Since TPTB probably put a fair amount of cash into developing that ATOM costume, if figure they're going to try their best to get some return on investment.

• Love 7
(edited)

It also explains the completely random cast. Ray, Sara, Stein, and Captain Cold? They're fan-favorites and all, but I have no idea how all of them on one show is gong to make sense.

Maybe they will bring Felicity over. God knows they've already separated her from Team Arrow this season. She'd probably be better off on this show, or perhaps The Flash. I think her interactions with Team Flash were pretty good.

Edited by Lord Kira
(edited)

It also explains the completely random cast. Ray, Sara, Stein, and Captain Cold? They're fan-favorites and all, but I have no idea how all of them on one show is gong to make sense.

Maybe they will bring Felicity over. God knows they've already separated her from Team Arrow this season. She'd probably be better off on this show, or perhaps The Flash. I think her interactions with Team Flash were pretty good.

I don't disagree but I'm really tired of Felicity being used to prop up other characters, it feels like that's pretty much all she's done this season.

That said if we're getting AU Sara maybe we could get AU Felicity where she's the hacker/assassin like in the present run of Green Arrow, she could even be the main villain. Everyone being from a alternate universe would make it seem like less of a gimmick just so to resurrect Sara.

Edited by patchwork

Yeah, I need more info, but I suspect we won't get more until May.

Maybe they will bring Felicity over.

I wonder how many other heroes she'll have to make out with?  :-P

• Love 1

I don't want to sound overly cynical, but I expect Caity Lotz has signed on for this because her schedule is otherwise empty and it's a job.  She isn't quite at the level where she can afford to regularly decline offers. Plus, from her interviews/con appearances, she really loves playing a superhero.

I'm going to join the chorus of people feeling that this was originally supposed to be just an Atom spinoff, but between the obscurity of Atom, and the general "whatever" fan response to Ray Palmer, the producers decided, or were told, take your pick, that a Brandon Routh/Ray Palmer show wasn't going to cut it. 

Felicity hasn't made out with Batman yet! Or Wonder Woman! Or any of the Green Lanterns, straight or gay! There's a very long Justice League list yet to go.

• Love 7

I don't want to sound overly cynical, but I expect Caity Lotz has signed on for this because her schedule is otherwise empty and it's a job.  She isn't quite at the level where she can afford to regularly decline offers. Plus, from her interviews/con appearances, she really loves playing a superhero.

I'm going to join the chorus of people feeling that this was originally supposed to be just an Atom spinoff, but between the obscurity of Atom, and the general "whatever" fan response to Ray Palmer, the producers decided, or were told, take your pick, that a Brandon Routh/Ray Palmer show wasn't going to cut it. 

I don't blame Caity for taking the job. Gotta pay the rent and all. Sure, I'd rather have her join Marvel's Defenders in some fashion, but that's clearly not to be. It's hard to not think that we're still losing an incredible Black Canary for a barely passable one. Whatever name they give her, if she's fighting, there's going to be unfavorable comparisons. 

The only thing that makes me think there was more planned than just an Atom spinoff is all the set up for Firestorm on The Flash. That blatant 2 part backdoor pilot they just aired was planned a long time ago. It is possible that they pitched both a Firestorm and an Atom series and didn't really get much traction so they decided to combine them. Regardless, I think Firestorm has gone over much better than the Atom. BR might have worked if he'd originally showed up on The Flash. Let's say his fiancee died in the particle blast while he was out of town. He could have still visited Arrow for the CW mandated new superhero scene with EBR, but adding his character and completely different tone to Arrow was a huge miscalculation. 

• Love 9
(edited)
Does anybody else get the feeling that this spin-off was originally supposed to be an Atom series? I think this was supposed to be Brandon Routh's show but, with reaction to Ray being lukewarm at best, they decided to make it a team-up series.

Reactions to Barry weren't exactly internet breaking either when he showed up on Arrow (at least not what you would expect for The Flash) it was only after the trailer for his pilot was released that he gained a lot of traction. They would definitely take into account that some of the reactions are shipper induced therefore not a true outcome. I dont think there is really anything that could have stopped them from doing an Atom show if they really wanted it, the ratings expectations for the CW are so far low these days. Likely they realised they would need to make more DC shows if they don't do a mash up. As awesome for them as that would be, there has to be a limit to the amount of DC/superhero shows they can have at one time. 

The only thing that makes me think there was more planned than just an Atom spinoff is all the set up for Firestorm on The Flash. That blatant 2 part backdoor pilot they just aired was planned a long time ago. It is possible that they pitched both a Firestorm and an Atom series and didn't really get much traction so they decided to combine them. 

This! I think that is part of the story.

Edited by Conell

I do find it funny considering everything that happened with Sara this season between the fridging and the, "She doesn't have a light that you do, Laurel," that she's really the draw here. I don't think any of the other three characters are fan-favorites or draws on their own. I think somebody at DC or CW insisted she be put in the cast as a way to get Arrow fans interested. And you know what? It worked. Basically any interest I have in the spin-off is about Sara and Caity Lotz's involvement. Otherwise I'd just dismiss it out of hand. It almost makes me want to start watching season three again just on the vague hope that Sara shows up at some point and directs a, "You stole my costume, bitch," at Laurel. 

Maybe there's a lesson here for Arrow writers to stop killing off their cool female characters with zero thought.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't want to sound overly cynical, but I expect Caity Lotz has signed on for this because her schedule is otherwise empty and it's a job. She isn't quite at the level where she can afford to regularly decline offers. Plus, from her interviews/con appearances, she really loves playing a superhero.

It's not cynical at all. Quite obviously people are not lining up at Caity Lotz's door to offer her work so she signed up what she was offered. In addition, she is suited best for this kind of work considering her background in martial arts and stunts. Her acting skills leave a lot to desired so it is better that she focuses on role which use skills in which she excels.

PShe was also quite active on the con circuit so I am assuming she liked the whole genre quite a bit. Of all the actors I have seen on CW in lead roles, Robbie Amell was only second to that whiney guy from TVD who wanted to be Nightwing in terms of being wooden and flat. Nothing can beat the whiney brat from TVD. I am glad neither are part of this new lineup.

I do think this show would be different in tone, if compared to both Arrow and The Flash and would be more sci-fi focused considering two of the four characters announced - Dr Ray Palmer & Dr Martin Stein - are PhDs in physics. I think Dr Stein would not really be assuming his firestorm persona in the new show but will be mainly there as a scientist.

Edited by TanyaKay
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't want to sound overly cynical, but I expect Caity Lotz has signed on for this because her schedule is otherwise empty and it's a job. She isn't quite at the level where she can afford to regularly decline offers. Plus, from her interviews/con appearances, she really loves playing a superhero.

I didn't mean on Caity's part (job and money I get that) I meant on DC'S or the CW's. Why did they get her involved on this show after they killed her character off.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I wonder if they wanted Huntress, but JDG is unavailable, so they brainstormed a way to get Caity Lotz back, and offered it to her. It really looks like they wanted to announce all the previously established characters first, deal with new heroes/casting later.

What I wanna know is this is now three full shows, and every full cast member bearing DC sanctioned superhero names is white. Are people of color not allowed in the super friends in this universe? Maybe this is a study in white privilege and I'm only now starting to get it? It's so fucking weird.

• Love 7

Without any further information, it seems like a hot mess at this point. But since Victor Garber signed on I am slightly hopeful that it actual has a good concept. I am somewhat curious about the concept. Since it is aimed at midseason it might be a while before we see anything but they should start filming it in the fall as well, so maybe by the time S4 of Arrow and S2 of Flash rolls around it might be clearer. 

I fully agree that this was the ATOM spin-off off GB talked about at TCAs. We know, from the same event, that The CW wasn't particularly interested. I gather that GB/DC/WB have been tweaking the offer to get The CW ti bite and this was the set up that worked.

I don't find the connection of Firestorm/ATOM that much of a stretch. Comics wise there's a connection, Ray Palmer was one of Ronnie Raymond's teachers. Flarrow wise it could work as well, Ronnie Raymond was an Engineer at STAR Labs so you could easily draw a connection between two intelligent people in Tech Industries. ..maybe Ronnie worked at Palmer Technologies before going to work for STAR Labs? I am of course assuming Ronnie will be in the new show. Same thing goes for Stein, very well known in the science/tech world, so Stein knowing or having a connection to Ray works as well.

Where I have questions is the CL/Sara/Canary Inclusion. If this was GB/DC sweetening the pot what does that say? If this was what finally made the CW, agree to a potential spin-off what does that mean? Why bring Sara back (from the Dead or AU) when they just raced Laurel into Black Canary? Laurel has a minor connection to Ray so why not just spin-off Laurel/Black Canary?

(edited)

as much as I want caity on arrow, I feel like a spinoff where she is a lead character with elements of grey would be interesting. Season 1 arrow but with Sara's journey. No one I know actually likes KC or cares for Laurel so no one I know would tune in for her story on the spinoff.

I want to see Sara become a assassin. Haven't seen flash episodes with victor garber yet. But I can see the potential of the characters interacting. Ray, do gooder hero having to find a way to work with Sara who is as grey as they come, haunted by her life. I its oliver and Felicity reversed. VG will lend some gravitas and cap cold will be a fun Villian!

Edited by GirlWednesday
  • Love 3

I fully agree that this was the ATOM spin-off off GB talked about at TCAs. We know, from the same event, that The CW wasn't particularly interested. I gather that GB/DC/WB have been tweaking the offer to get The CW ti bite and this was the set up that worked.

I don't find the connection of Firestorm/ATOM that much of a stretch. Comics wise there's a connection, Ray Palmer was one of Ronnie Raymond's teachers. Flarrow wise it could work as well, Ronnie Raymond was an Engineer at STAR Labs so you could easily draw a connection between two intelligent people in Tech Industries. ..maybe Ronnie worked at Palmer Technologies before going to work for STAR Labs? I am of course assuming Ronnie will be in the new show. Same thing goes for Stein, very well known in the science/tech world, so Stein knowing or having a connection to Ray works as well.

Where I have questions is the CL/Sara/Canary Inclusion. If this was GB/DC sweetening the pot what does that say? If this was what finally made the CW, agree to a potential spin-off what does that mean? Why bring Sara back (from the Dead or AU) when they just raced Laurel into Black Canary? Laurel has a minor connection to Ray so why not just spin-off Laurel/Black Canary?

I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway. :) There's no way that Laurel has enough cache with the network to help sell another spinoff. She's the problem child that they've been trying to "fix" since the first season. It wouldn't sweeten the pot to add the not-so-popular Laurel in with the tepidly received Atom. Even the more well liked Firestorm was probably not enough. They needed a real "game changer", and they found it in Sarah.

Sarah brings a powerful back story, and real martial arts skills to the table. As others have mentioned, it's her that everyone's talking about.

• Love 13
(edited)

Despite what Cassidy fans may think, Laurel has not gotten more popular, she's gotten more tolerable. Which is not something you want to hear about a lead character. Laurel is still a polarizing character for most. The network knows that, that's why most promos barely feature her. They promote Olicity no matter what the writers are doing with them. Laurel would never be a sell for a show. But for some reason Caity was.

That's why I was asking if it was DC that wanted her. I know CL would take the job because it's a job. But someone higher up had to say they wanted to offer the part to her. 

I would rather watch a show called League of Assassins and see Sara training, going out on missions and falling in love with Nyssa. That would be a different type of show for the CW. But I guess Sara and Nyssa are not white male heroes so they can't get their own show. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8
(edited)

The only thing that makes me think there was more planned than just an Atom spinoff is all the set up for Firestorm on The Flash. That blatant 2 part backdoor pilot they just aired was planned a long time ago. It is possible that they pitched both a Firestorm and an Atom series and didn't really get much traction so they decided to combine them.

Likely they realised they would need to make more DC shows if they don't do a mash up. As awesome for them as that would be, there has to be a limit to the amount of DC/superhero shows they can have at one time.

I agree with all of this. The CW can't just turn into the DC channel, and I'm guessing that someone at the network indicated they weren't going to be interested in more than one more series. None of these heroes have the name recognition that Green Arrow or The Flash have (other than Black Canary, which has been botched beyond repair), so I can see the network balking at building a series around any one of them. And maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like this was always the plan. Or at least, the CL/Sara piece of it was. I honestly don't think they would bring her back if they hadn't planned to do so all along, but we'll see!

I do find it funny considering everything that happened with Sara this season between the fridging and the, "She doesn't have a light that you do, Laurel," that she's really the draw here. I don't think any of the other three characters are fan-favorites or draws on their own. I think somebody at DC or CW insisted she be put in the cast as a way to get Arrow fans interested. And you know what? It worked. Basically any interest I have in the spin-off is about Sara and Caity Lotz's involvement. Otherwise I'd just dismiss it out of hand. It almost makes me want to start watching season three again just on the vague hope that Sara shows up at some point and directs a, "You stole my costume, bitch," at Laurel.

Yep. I love Victor Garber more than almost anyone on TV, but Sara is the reason I'm interested in this. And I am firmly of the belief that she will be Sara, and that this will take place in the Flarrow universe and timeline in order to allow crossovers, until MG/GB/AK say otherwise and break my heart.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 3

The only thing that bugs me about Caity Lotz playing Sara in this spinoff is the fact that I've had to sit through s3 of Arrow FOR NOTHING! Because if she is playing Sara (obviously we don't know for sure yet) that means she's still alive or gets resurrected at some point and seriously. The whole of s3 is pointless. It's so frustrating. 

• Love 3

What I wanna know is this is now three full shows, and every full cast member bearing DC sanctioned superhero names is white. Are people of color not allowed in the super friends in this universe? Maybe this is a study in white privilege and I'm only now starting to get it? It's so fucking weird.

It's a 100% guarantee that at least one of the unannounced heroes in this show will not be white.  However, that hero hasn't appeared on TV yet so they're holding back the announcement.

It was mentioned that this show could come across as the poor man's Avengers and the truth is they're already halfway there.  Ray is Iron Man, Firestorm is the Hulk, Canary is Black Widow, and Captain Cold is an evil Hawkeye.  Bring in a goody two-shoes (Commander Steel is already a ripoff of Capt America) and save the last spot for a superpowered outsider (Fire?) or guy with a hammer (Steel) who's also not white.

• Love 1

The only thing that bugs me about Caity Lotz playing Sara in this spinoff is the fact that I've had to sit through s3 of Arrow FOR NOTHING! Because if she is playing Sara (obviously we don't know for sure yet) that means she's still alive or gets resurrected at some point and seriously. The whole of s3 is pointless. It's so frustrating. 

Maybe they are pulling a Sleepy Hollow and doing a reset? I don't think too many people will complain if that happens. I've even seen people who think some of the episodes were awesome complaining how dark and depressing this seasons has been. Who the fuck wants to start the season with the stupid death of an awesome character? They are not The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones who have a billion people in their cast and deaths thin the herd. Plus TWD doesn't get rid of their kick ass characters they get rid of the dead weight making most people happy that character is gone. 

Someone in TPTB wants Caity involved in a show. So she's coming back even after her character was killed off. I wonder how long that idea has been floating around? Obviously they were trying and failing to sell an ATOM show. They had to be in talks before the Firestorm "pilot" aired on The Flash. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe they are pulling a Sleepy Hollow and doing a reset? I don't think too many people will complain if that happens. I've even seen people who think some of the episodes were awesome complaining how dark and depressing this seasons has been. Who the fuck wants to start the season with the stupid death of an awesome character? They are not The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones who have a billion people in their cast and deaths thin the herd. Plus TWD doesn't get rid of their kick ass characters they get rid of the dead weight making most people happy that character is gone. 

Someone in TPTB wants Caity involved in a show. So she's coming back even after her character was killed off. I wonder how long that idea has been floating around? Obviously they were trying and failing to sell an ATOM show. They had to be in talks before the Firestorm "pilot" aired on The Flash. 

I liked Sara and I like CL, so I'm glad she's on this new show. Not sure I'll be watching yet but we'll see. But at the same time I don't really like resets of seasons. There has to be a point to all of this angst and contrived plots. It's like Pam waking up in Dallas and everything was a dream, like WTF was the point of it all?! We could have avoided all this if they had just written Sara off with the LOA for the season. So yeah, I'm conflicted about this. I get being happy that maybe Sara's alive after all, but it makes the depressing path this season took with her death so meaningless. 

Obviously this all just hypothetical at the moment but omg, if I'd known I just wouldn't have bothered with s3 at all. 

Edited by Angel12d

That's why I think(hope) Caity will be playing a different character. If she's playing Sara Lance again, it nullifies a lot of Arrow Season 3, and the plot twists and turns required to make it work will be too much. I don't see them using the Flash's powers just to resurrect one character they were determined to kill. And how confusing* is it going to be with 3 shows all connected to each other, on the same network, but one is somehow in an alternate reality? (When was the last CW show with multiple realities?)

*to the general/target audience that make up most of the ratings numbers, not the "die-hards" that post on sites like this

• Love 1
(edited)

Why would this spin-off be in another reality? That wouldn't make much sense since the universe's are intended to be connected.

If you have AU Sara all you need is to bring her into this reality and then strand her here. Common comics and sci-fi trope, Nate Gray, Rachael (Grey) Summers, Star Trek 2009(Original Spock), etc

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Why would this spin-off be in another reality? That wouldn't make much sense since the universe's are intended to be connected.

Exactly; but it's been suggested in this thread, and I was responding to that.

Now that I think about it the easiest explanation might be that Caity could just be playing a character who happens, for no explicable reason, to look like Sara Lance. It would be commented on by Oliver or anyone from Arrow who knows her if they crossover but otherwise not be addressed.

Exactly; but it's been suggested in this thread, and I was responding to that.

Ah, OK. I agree with you all 3 shows will be connected in the same universe.

Personally, think CL has to play some version of Sara. There would be no need to cast CL in the show if she wasn't playing Sara. CL on her own isn't a draw to secure a spin-off. CL as Sara/Canary is a draw for Arrow viewers.

• Love 2
(edited)

The AU suggestion was only for an AUSara being brought into the current Arrow verse. She'd be the only different one. That way it wouldn't negate season 3. The Sara all of them knew would still be dead. 

I agree she needs to be playing Sara if they want me to watch it. 

Edited by Sakura12

The AU suggestion was only for an AUSara being brought into the current Arrow verse. She'd be the only different one. That way it wouldn't negate season 3. The Sara all of them knew would still be dead.

I agree she needs to be playing Sara if they want me to watch it.

Yes, that makes sense and as I said it's fairly common so it won't be confusing. I don't recall any confusion over Spock in Star Trek 2009.

Casting CL as Sara/Canary might get me to watch, making her another character will definitely not get me watching.

• Love 4
(edited)

For those asking about a POC hero, they will probably put Vixen in this show since the animated web series is set in the same universe as Flash and Arrow. I also wouldn't mind them bringing other heroes like the John Stewart Green Lantern, Static Shock, etc.

As for the fear that Caity returning as Sara will invalidate season 3 somehow? I don't watch anymore (I checked out after the episode where Oliver returned to Starling and teamed up with Malcolm), but bringing back Sara would make me dislike the season just a little bit less. Besides, invalidating and/erasing season 3 can only be a good thing, in my opinion.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 1

Killing Sara was never about Sara.  She was killed for absolutely no in show reason relating to her at all.  She died so Laurel could put on the mask and so that they could drag Ra's into the season and of course take away Oliver's brain by tying it to Thea.  Her death was always for nothing and at this point they've gotten what they wanted from her and even if they hadn't killed Sara, they would have found another contrived way to drag us through the crap of season three. 

I liked Sara and I like CL, so I'm glad she's on this new show. Not sure I'll be watching yet but we'll see. But at the same time I don't really like resets of seasons. There has to be a point to all of this angst and contrived plots. It's like Pam waking up in Dallas and everything was a dream, like WTF was the point of it all?! We could have avoided all this if they had just written Sara off with the LOA for the season. So yeah, I'm conflicted about this. I get being happy that maybe Sara's alive after all, but it makes the depressing path this season took with her death so meaningless. 

Obviously this all just hypothetical at the moment but omg, if I'd known I just wouldn't have bothered with s3 at all. 

Sadly unless the Flash does go back in time and change things (yeah, not going to happen) then we won't get a reset even if we find out Sara was never dead. 

Now that I think about it the easiest explanation might be that Caity could just be playing a character who happens, for no explicable reason, to look like Sara Lance. It would be commented on by Oliver or anyone from Arrow who knows her if they crossover but otherwise not be addressed.

Of all the options, I would hate this one the most.  I want her to be Sara.  I think Caity is a lovely person but it's Sara that I miss.

• Love 8

I honestly think that CL will come back as Sara otherwise the articles would've stated that CL's character would be a new one. They're probably being coy about it because they don't want to spoil anything regarding Sara's return which will probably happen later this season or the first half of next season (before the midseason finale) on the Flash or Arrow. 

• Love 1
(edited)
Where I have questions is the CL/Sara/Canary Inclusion. If this was GB/DC sweetening the pot what does that say? If this was what finally made the CW, agree to a potential spin-off what does that mean?

I like CL but I wouldn't rate her that high in CW's eyes, If CW considered her that important they wouldn't have allowed the show to kill off her character in the first place. They chose Katie/Laurel  over her, who was very consistently unpopular at the time, that just says something really. If it was Emily/Felicity in that position, they definitely would have intervened. 

Likely she is benefiting from something that was already set in motion because of Firestorm/Atom,  and big castings such as Garber, Miller,Routh.  

Edited by Conell

The announcement probably saved me from complete despair for the season.  I know at least I have one thing to look forward to.  They should just come out and say Sara will be back.  The how may not be revealed on Arrow or even immediately on the new show (any title guesses?) but at least it is something.  Letting us know that Sara will be back wouldn't be giving anything away really. 

• Love 1
(edited)

As much as I hated that they killed Sara, especially in the manner in which they did it, I do not think I really want her to come back alive. I mean they hammered home the point that she was "DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.... did I mention she died?". So as much, as it would be wonderful for Sara to be alive again for her & her family, I just don't see a realistic/fantasy/comic way of really bringing her back to life at this point. Perhaps, if they hadn't fridged her it might be an option, but they chose to make it almost impossible to resurrect her, which I think was a conscious decision & (imo a mistake) on their part. Everyone else that has come back to life, when they "died" there was enough grey area around their death that you could make a case for them surviving long enough for ressurection. Beyond traveling back in time, I can't see SL not dying. Even the lazarus pits need to be used on someone almost or recently dead, so even is Nyssa took her to one, she would have had to steal her out of verdant which we know didnt happen because they buried her body a few weeks after her death. Now if they had kept her body in the fridge, then maybe they could have used super-duper comic science to bring her back, but they nixed that option with her burial. I think a fresher take for CL, TPTB and all the shows would be to leave SL dead and find some other cool way to bring CL onto the show. She can still have a connection to SL, but IMO SL should remain dead, as sad as that is :(

Edited by kismet

The Lazarus pits I understand are actually pretty flexible so I still wouldn't rule them out but my true time line is would be right after they buried her.  That's when someone could have taken the body without them knowing.  The other alternative would be that the Sara that died wasn't real Sara in spite of having her DNA and knowledge of her family and other secrets.  Though there was that line about her tracking them down by the open comes and it not being secure.  Maybe someone on the outside could have planted a fake Sara and gathered the info they'd need.  Then the real Sara would have been the one that contacted her dad and was tracking Malcolm, but she was replaced with a fake Sara for Malcolm to kill?  It gets so complicated if you don't just bring her back to life. 

I had a horrible thought...what if Sara had a secret twin sister that everyone thought died in the hospital so no one likes to talk about her.  Ugh.  They might go there. Again why she's suddenly involved with masked heroes just like Sara becomes contrived and extremely convoluted though.  So another vote for the Lazarus pits or some version of it.  I still wouldn't put it past Waller to have somehow gotten involved in all of this and snatched Sara's body for crazy Agents of SHEILD type "it's always lovely in Tahiti" kind of crap. 

We have the Dread Pirate Ra's with his own Lazarus pits spas to keep him fit, and meta humans that do anything and everything, would they add some alien DNA to the mix?

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the best option (other than a Flash time travel reset) is that the person we saw die at the end of 3.01 wasn't really Sara. Since they like copying other comic adaptations so much, maybe they'll use the super spy identity-stealing face mask sported by Black Widow in Cap2 and by Hydra on AOS.

I had a horrible thought...what if Sara had a secret twin sister that everyone thought died in the hospital so no one likes to talk about her.  Ugh.  They might go there. Again why she's suddenly involved with masked heroes just like Sara becomes contrived and extremely convoluted though

Remember when Dinah thought she saw a photo Sara in the Rockets cap way back in Season One? Maybe it wasn't really Sara or that other woman. Maybe it was Sara's doppelganger. Dun dun dun. 

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 1

Doppelganger death in 3x01 would be good, thus allowing SL to remain alive. Prefer that over SL death in 301, and a doppelganger on the spin-off. I loved the doppelganger science that they used in Alias a cross between genetic mutation and really advanced plastic surgery. It could be really interesting if they took that angle. A lot of people we know (Waller, Ivo, Shrieve) or even some other new groups could be responsible for harboring and creating that type of genetic science & engineering. I think it could work into the characters of the spin off better since they are physicists & engineers. They lazarus pits almost seem too mythical to work on the spin-off.  

• Love 2

Possible titles for the superhero teamup spinoff? Could be that Team 7 thing that was suggested earlier. Or a play on the Justice League since Arrow keeps using "justice" in their taglines and quotes about heroic journeys this season (I don't think they'll be allowed to use JL/JLA/JLU, though, due to the upcoming movie and possible confusion with the DCAU). How about the League of Justice? Lol. Or, actually, since Arrow just introduced General Shrieve (known to be part of the Creature Commandos), the show could be called S.H.A.D.E. (Super Human Advanced Defense Executive) or DC's Agents of S.H.A.D.E., if they really want to try and bait Marvel. Apparently, in the New52 comics, Ray Palmer is a consultant/agent of S.H.A.D.E., as well.

Plus, we're getting Deathbolt in 3x19, who, according to wiki, was an enemy of Project M/Creature Commandos. 3x19 could be when the Arrow/Flash EPs plant some of the seeds for the spinoff since it's, supposedly, a big Atom episode.

I'm really hoping they don't try to make CL into anyone other than Sara. Because it would just be dumb to have another character look exactly the same as another established character without any explanations other than lampshading it with an 'Oh, hey, you look remarkably similar to this girl that used to run around with Arrow. You even have the exact same cleft chin. Isn't that funny. Haha?' So I hope she is Sara, either as a clone, alternate universe, or "resurrected" version. I actually suspect she won't be a hero. Or, at least, not with the good guys right away. She might actually come back as a "villain." Or someone who's initially with the bad guys but does a heel-face turn later on or gets recruited into the good guys' team. I wonder if that instagram picture of Caity getting good at practicing her "evil joker smile" was a wink-nudge bit about her possible role in this "in-development" spinoff?

I still wouldn't put it past Waller to have somehow gotten involved in all of this and snatched Sara's body for crazy Agents of SHEILD type "it's always lovely in Tahiti" kind of crap. 

This would be Cadmus, then. If Waller will be in any way involved in Sara's resurrection storyline, I'm almost certain it will be GB/AK/MG's attempt to run with their version of Project Cadmus. Since we already have two very shady government organizations on both Arrow and The Flash that are headed by two characters with ties to Project Cadmus--Amanda Waller and Wade Eiling, respectively--it's possible they might introduce yet another shady government plot that ends with a "resurrected"/cloned Sara Lance. If they do go with a Cadmus "resurrection"/clone then Sara might not have her full memories, which would be how Waller/the government utilizes her as an asset.

• Love 1

Maybe Ra's set it up that Sara's "death was a test", for Malcolm & Nyssa (maybe even Oliver). He sent fake Sara to Starling City to possibly die and Real Sara is in a cell in Nanda Parbat. 

I'm reaching, I know, but I really think something will be missing if CL does not play some version of Sara Lance, Alt Reality Sara (like Fringe) is acceptable. Lazarus Pitted Sara is acceptable, Locked up in a cell the whole time because reasons Sara is acceptable. I just feel that CL needs to play some sort of Sara to make her ties to the shared universe strong.

• Love 7

I could even believe that Nyssa's been faking her grief. She could've been in town with Sara and saw those idiots bury the love of her life in her old grave, dug her up and put in Sara in the Lazarus pit a few hours after her death. They did freeze her to preserve the body and they didn't go through the proper burial rituals so all her organs are intact. Now she has Sara somewhere safe trying to regain her sanity. 

• Love 2

I want Caity our Sara but if she's back as before than fans will have issues cause Sara is the real Black Canary. So they have to change her into a new Named superhero.

I tend to view every move The CW makes now through the prism of "their narrowcasting to W 18-35 strategy has failed as a business plan, and their existence as a network literally hinges on drawing new male viewers, which IMHO requires that they work to kill the widespread perception of themselves as such a female-oriented network."  Having said that, going down the path of "who could CL play if not Sara," given that the Arrowverse already has a Huntress and Laurel as BC, and assuming that Diana or any "name" hero from the Batverse is unavailable (i.e., she won't be Barbara Gordon), one woman hero came to mind as being sufficently well-known: Hawkgirl.  Caity could color her hair and they could just finesse the "you look like Sara" issue.

Alternatively, they could do the Blackest Night storyline, but I doubt that would go over very well.