Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Dan Foley

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

His jury speech was just what I expected: he told Mike that he ignored who was going onto the jury and that's why he wasn't going to win. Mike wins in a landslide including Dan's vote proving that Dan just says whatever he thinks at the moment.

Dan is never right about anything and that's why he sucks at Survivor and life. I've met many people like him and I steer away from them whenever possible. 

• Love 6

I REALLY hate to say this but Dan reminds me of the "Cowboy chef" Lenny that was on The Next Food Network Star (or whatever the hell it is called now). Similar body type and face, and very similar in what they say about women and extreme lack of judgment about what is appropriate. Lenny won and then disappeared after saying awful, awful (rapey) stuff about another popular female food network star on that network. We can only hope that Dan goes away that completely too.  The photos that I found online of Dan suggest to me that he probably toned down his personality on Survivor. Which is why he made the statements about how he should have been MORE of a villian and he played "too nice" lol

• Love 2

Dan's glowering act during tribal councils was pretty dumb, and when he started banging his head in the voting booth it was another lame attempt at, "remember me!"

I was hoping he would put a mark on his face with that marker when he was flopping around the voting booth in anguish.

• Love 10

Dan's glowering act during tribal councils was pretty dumb, and when he started banging his head in the voting booth it was another lame attempt at, "remember me!"

I was hoping he would put a mark on his face with that marker when he was flopping around the voting booth in anguish.

I think that it was all part of his act. Crystal's shouted voting at tribal is a classic, I think that he thought that he was doing something unique. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I didn't think anyone would ever quite top Eliza practically hanging herself in the voting booth during the Micronesia finale.  Is it really that hard of a decision?  I wonder if Dan realized they could all hear him out there.  That, his stupid jury speech, Mike pretending to make amends, Dan wanting to get back up for more of the spotlight, banging his head in the booth, and his faces when Mike came in with the immunity necklace were just icing on the cake.

• Love 2
(edited)

I found the whore joke to be pretty inoffensive only because there is a whole school of mother jokes and they seem to be popular still. I would have 100% thought that was a joke from moment one. But it was one of the things that Dan kept hitting on in his interviews. It was the easy thing for Jeff to go to. That and the Sierra apology where he equates Sierra saying that he should sit out a challenge with what he said to Sierra after the tribal council. And the slap comment was the other thing he harped on.

I think most people would have found it completely offensive and not funny at all. Great way to make a first impression pretty early in the season. But a fantastic method of showing off his lack of social cues. It is NOT the right comment to make to a momma's boy like Rodney. You just know that Dan would have become Norman Bates first victim in Psycho. Or Bates Motel.

Edited by PreBabylonia
  • Love 1

I think most people would have found it completely offensive and not funny at all.

Especially since "your mama's a whore" is not in any way a joke of any kind.  A Yo Mama joke is something like, your mama's so old her social security number is one.  Yo mama's so fat she has her own zip code.  Not like those are humor masterpieces but they are recognizably jokes.  "Your mama's a whore" is just an insult.

• Love 16

I would love to know if Dan looking like he wanted throw up at every tribal council when saw Mike wearing immunity necklace was edited?! LOL!!! Seriously, he couldn't stand how much better Mike was & that he didn't Dan. After all of this, I still think Dan is kind of gross. Even, the live finale made him look worse which I didn't think was possible. Hopefully, he goes back to Maine and we never see or from him again.

• Love 3

Especially since "your mama's a whore" is not in any way a joke of any kind.  A Yo Mama joke is something like, your mama's so old her social security number is one.  Yo mama's so fat she has her own zip code.  Not like those are humor masterpieces but they are recognizably jokes.  "Your mama's a whore" is just an insult.

Dan wanted America to see that he was "down with the bros" and instead showed America that he doesn't know how to interact with other males.

Kudos to the poster who noted that he's Michael Scott come to life. 

• Love 3

I have to defend Michael Scott a little, even though he's fictional, because even a fictional character shouldn't be libeled this way. The difference between Michael and Dan is that although Michael wants everyone to love and admire him, it's because he loves and admires them first (not Tobey, but everyone else) and wishes it were reciprocal. Dan wants to be loved and admired because Dan loves and admires himself. He doesn't actually care about anyone else except for their potential to recognize his self-proclaimed awesomeness. He's more like David Brent (the Michael character from the UK version of The Office), but even David isn't as gross as Dan.

• Love 13

I have to defend Michael Scott a little, even though he's fictional, because even a fictional character shouldn't be libeled this way. The difference between Michael and Dan is that although Michael wants everyone to love and admire him, it's because he loves and admires them first (not Tobey, but everyone else) and wishes it were reciprocal. 

There are lots of differences. Michael Scott was never intentionally mean and seemed to genuinely respect people. But Dan copied the classic Michael Scott habit of going into situations thinking that if he behaves in some way, he'll fit in perfectly and everyone will love him to pieces. Scott did it out of optimism. Dan did it out of ignorance.

And it's telling that we're using fictional characters to attempt to describe Dan's behavior.

• Love 5

But Dan copied the classic Michael Scott habit of going into situations thinking that if he behaves in some way, he'll fit in perfectly and everyone will love him to pieces. Scott did it out of optimism. Dan did it out of ignorance.

And it's telling that we're using fictional characters to attempt to describe Dan's behavior.

Ha, yes. Dan is a complete phony but not in a logical way. If he's going to make up a personality, why on earth would this be the one he picked? It's only worse when he tries to convince everyone how genuine he is. "I don't work hard to impress anyone, Jeff. Like I told Tyler, I have two modes: awake and asleep. This is who I am. And you know how you can believe that? Because I have rehearsed the 'awake and asleep' line in my mirror at home and used it in every interview I've given this week. I have said it several times, using the exact same words. That's how you know it's true."

• Love 13

I watched the reunion tonight, and I actually thought Dan handled himself well. And I do agree that people talk shit with each other, and you can't be calling someone out every time they make some derogatory remark. If I had to explain myself for every off-color comment I made to one of my friends, I'd have a whole lot of 'splaining to do.

I REALLY hate to say this but Dan reminds me of the "Cowboy chef" Lenny that was on The Next Food Network Star (or whatever the hell it is called now). Similar body type and face, and very similar in what they say about women and extreme lack of judgment about what is appropriate.

Haven't seen that but reading you I'm thinking Dan reminds me of the prospector in Toy Story 2: similar body type, similar dislike verging on hatred for anyone not acting the way he wants them to (i.e. in his own best interest only), fake niceness/real meanness  (especially to perceived weaker characters), real meanness/show of weakness (especially directed at perceived heroes) :-)

• Love 2

The thing about Dan's personality (highly vain + massively stupid) is that he would be SO easy to manipulate, if you could bring yourself to pander to him.  I mean, look how easily he folded up his hate-tent when Mike simply spent one minute apologizing to him at FTC. Then he went on a voted for him!  It's too bad no one was perceptive/savvy enough to use Dan's personality against him throughout the season (though maybe Rodney did sorta, unwittingly).  Mike tried to influence Dan many times, but he didn't pander to him/stroke his ego sufficiently for it to work.

It brings to mind Natalie indulging Jon's pretentiousness with the wine, etc., which allowed him to get comfortable with her.  She was repelled by him, but still found a way to flatter and validate him.

Dan should be happy it was only the producers that exploited him.  If he'd been playing with a Natalie or a Boston Rob, you know he'd have been made to look like even more of a patsy and a fool.

• Love 10

Let me clarify, I think it was a stupid joke and an awful move but I didn't think Dan really thought that Rodney's Mom was a whore.

Probably not, but the comment showed Dan's complete lack of social awareness.  As pointed out above "your momma's so fat she has her own zip code" is a joke, "your momma's a whore" is a statement.  The raw footage showed it pretty much came out of nowhere and had no context - Dan just blurted it out, thinking (for some reason) that it would be met with laughter and solidify that Dan's a great guy in everyone's head.  Much like he thought telling Sierra he's sorry she sucks was a good move as well.

In Dan's world,he was the hero of this season of Survivor.  The problem is Dan's world has a population of one.

• Love 11

The thing about Dan's personality (highly vain + massively stupid) is that he would be SO easy to manipulate, if you could bring yourself to pander to him.  I mean, look how easily he folded up his hate-tent when Mike simply spent one minute apologizing to him at FTC. Then he went on a voted for him!  It's too bad no one was perceptive/savvy enough to use Dan's personality against him throughout the season (though maybe Rodney did sorta, unwittingly).  Mike tried to influence Dan many times, but he didn't pander to him/stroke his ego sufficiently for it to work.

It brings to mind Natalie indulging Jon's pretentiousness with the wine, etc., which allowed him to get comfortable with her.  She was repelled by him, but still found a way to flatter and validate him.

Dan should be happy it was only the producers that exploited him.  If he'd been playing with a Natalie or a Boston Rob, you know he'd have been made to look like even more of a patsy and a fool.

Bingo. Dan is a super suckhole of neediness. If Boston Rob had played with him he would have stroked his ego and made him feel special and listened to. That he was important and calling the shots, No matter what one thinks of Boston Rob, he always knew that he puts his own personality on the back burner and you stroke and sooth everybody else for the ultimate goal. Make them feel special and important. That is exactly how you treat a blowhard like Dan. Look at how Rob got Philip to be a good soldier, Same exact thing. It is just Mike was a bit too honest in that respect and not playing the social game on that level. Not sure if Mike even thinks like that either. Any of the prior girls who were great with the social game would have had him wrapped around their fingers. Parvarti for one. 

• Love 6

Bingo. Dan is a super suckhole of neediness. If Boston Rob had played with him he would have stroked his ego and made him feel special and listened to.

You know what - this is the ONE example I can think of to bring Dan back - if Boston Rob could also come back and play Dan's ego like a fiddle.  I would PAY to watch that go down.  Because Dan would be all, "ZOMG - Boston Rob chooses ME!!  He likes me!  He really likes me!!" as he pounds on his chestal area and shakes his man-boobs.

Adding this to my "Survivor: Fantasy" episode along with bringing back Ozzy, Malcolm and Joe on the "Gorgeous Flowing Locks" tribe.

• Love 4
"Gorgeous Flowing Locks" tribe

Hehe, love it! Shouldn't Woo be included too? I'm sure Coach and Vince would like to be included, but let's not, shall we?

• Love 4

Hehe, love it! Shouldn't Woo be included too? I'm sure Coach and Vince would like to be included, but let's not, shall we?

Coach and Vince need a deep conditioning treatment before they can even be considered.

• Love 5

Coach and Vince need a deep conditioning treatment before they can even be considered.

Forgot Woo.  Yes, he's included.  Vince and Coach would be on the "Slightly Unhinged but We Think They're Mostly Harmless" tribe.

• Love 2

You know what - this is the ONE example I can think of to bring Dan back - if Boston Rob could also come back and play Dan's ego like a fiddle.  I would PAY to watch that go down.

Boston Rob already carried a delusional goat to the FTC before. I don't need to see that again.

• Love 8

I listen to Dan on some podcast called D&D. First off, Rob C hasn't nothing to worry about with that.mthey were awful. I wanted to see if Dan would change my mind about him and, he, um, didn't. He is still so obnoxious & so unaware how dumb and annoying he comes off. He contradict himself quite a few times and also had a lot of revisionist history. The most hysterical thing he said and he actually meant it was that he would have beaten Carolyn, Sierra, Will & Rodney in the final. Talk about delusional. I can't imagine him being asked back so I think we have seen & heard the last of him. Whew!

• Love 1

I came in when they were talking about the Tyler vote and Dan's advantage.  Not sure what I missed before that, but from what I did hear, I'm guessing not much.  Sounded like the same old broken record Dan has been playing since he got ousted.  I wondered if he'd find a way to get the last word in after he got his ass handed to him at the reunion.  Although does anyone care or going to change their mind at this point?  Dan's one of the reasons CBS seemed to want to cut the reunion short and usher in the fan voting, to give people something positive to think about.  Jeff pretty much proved a point by showing raw footage that called Dan out as a liar.  I wouldn't put it past CBS to bring him back in the future, though I do agree that the chance is probably very slim (lucky for us).  And if he does ever somehow make it back, Probst will no doubt make it miserable for him.  After this experience and thinking CBS screwed him over, why would Dan want to go back?  He's not going to get a redemption edit where suddenly he's a huge fan favorite.  TPTB might be stupid enough to bring him back, but not stupid enough to make him look good.

(edited)

I think Dan thinks that Rob did him dirty, too. Yay!!!! Lucky for us. I don't think Dan would go back on with Rob. Rob would be open to it but I not so sure about Dan. Once again, Yay for us!!!!! LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
(edited)

Dan thinks everyone did him dirty. He did say he would like to come on RHAP for a longer period of time and talk. I don't see it happening because Dan was skewered in the comment section after his first appearance. Rob's listeners were not happy that Dan was so aggressive in the interview.

ETA: I am listening now because I can at work. And 5 minutes in and he is complaining that "Oh Boy" is sexist, manhole covers should be personhole covers, and cockpits should be genital pits. Gee, has someone been storing up comments and comebacks? And he has already complained about editing. I might not last long.

ETA at the hour mark of the podcast: He is on the Rodney's Mom comment. He says that of course the Mama jokes happened even if they were not 15 minutes before the whore comment. Who the hell gives a crap? No one took that comment seriously. So sick of them kicking this around. It is a non-starter. It showed that he crossed a line a bit but no one really thinks he meant, just that he doesn't have a filter. Shut the fuck up about that one comment. All it did was show that Dan is a social idiot.

ETA at the 1 hour 6 minute mark. Dan is still comparing Sierra said that he didn't take instruction well with his comments made after Lindsey was voted out. He said Kelly agreed with Sierra and then jumped into the Sierra beat down after the vote. Same thing as earlier comments.

He is states that he knew that he would annoy people wit his approach to life, he speaks his mind and knows when he is being rude. If he is rude it is intentional and that the person who he is being rude to should look in the mirror because Dan is a nice guy and if he is being rude to you then you did something to him. So his behavior was intentional but piecing it together over the course of the season was bad editing because they didn't show him crying on day 2 and they are only showing the rude stuff and the negative stuff.

ETA at the 1 hour 30 minute mark. Dan is claiming that they merged early in order to save Joe. The hosts said that they didn't think so and that it was not uncommon for the merge to happen with a person voted off before the jury. And then a host brings up the male and female immunity when Mike and Shirin were in danger.

ETA at the 1 hour 44 minute mark: He comments that they took all these different comments and words which he says (which he claims to own) and says that they took all of these things together and tied them with a bow and made me look like a misogynist. ummmm Or maybe your comments and the like show that you are a misogynist. One of the hosts asked about how she would do on Second Chances and Dan's comment was "it depends on how they edit her". Her game play has nothing to do with editing you idiot. And he is holding to his line that Shirin is toxic. Then he follows on with "If somoene told me I was abrasive I would ask why and please give me examples." The editors gave you three or some months of you being abrasive and misogynistic and your response is that it was editing.

ETA 2 hours 20 minutes Dan says that the adoption thing was not edited and was a foot in mouth moment. He also says that everyone remembers the beginning of the show perfectly but when they get further in the season things get mixed up but his entire problem with the edit is how he was misrepresented because he can remember with perfect clarity everything that he had said and done at that point. He stands by his comment about women and how you speak to men and how it isn't sexist because all men said that. He doesn't see the pattern of words, comments, and actions and how it paints a picture. Yes, editing can make someone look a certain way but you have to give them the material. And maybe you should look at what they did with your 9,000 examples of sexist behavior and see the picture and own up to the picture it paints.

OK, I am at the end of this and all I can say is that Dan doesn't get it. He sees himself as a hero because he taught them how to fish (which we never saw them eating fish), picked up on the not so subtle production cues to go and find the melons (which were not planted, there were two rotten ones, but they pretty much told him were to go to find them), and made sure that they didn't eat a bird that would have made everyone sick. He was upset with Mike because he was voted out before the family visit. He is simply delusional. He seems to own the individual pieces but fails to see how people would connect the dots in a way that make shim look bad. He still resents that CBS didn't show him crying and fishing. He is a walking contradiction.

One that is not likely to ever appear on the show again because of his constant bashing of the edit and now outing out Productions role in finding the melons.

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 9
(edited)

Good old Dan, he's still good for a laugh.  I really think the issues stemming with Mike is that they all had a plan, he wasn't part of it, and he screwed it up for them by winning immunities so they had to eat their own sooner.  Even though I think Mike's game is somewhat overrated, and I don't think he was all peaches and cream, he did outplay them in every way.  And earned his win.  After the finale, Sierra was one that was surprised Carolyn's social game didn't count for more votes, but this was a case of where I believe they had all seen what they wanted to see.  Mike had a good social game post-merge.  He seemed to connect more with the first 4 people jurors than anyone else did.  Jenn said it best at TC how the special 6 treated Mike and tried taking out their downfall on him.

Dan just can't admit he's wrong.  Frankly, the line about telling someone what was wrong with them and expecting to give them an answer if they want to know why you feel that way is like talking about Will's treatment of Shirin.  I also say its BS that they had the merge happen to save Joe, but maybe that should tell Dan something about what production thought about him that they would go to that length to save him (which I don't believe anyway; they've merged at 12 before).  Dan is so delusional.  He just doesn't get it.  Trying out for Survivor since the beginning of its time, I think he really crafted a persona and went on there to play it.  And he did, but he was expecting a different outcome.  He has it all in his head how he thought it would go and thinks it went that way for real, but that it was TPTB that ruined his image for him.  Frankly, the 6 of that alliance are about the most delusional group ever.

IF Dan is ever invited back, and accepts, I'd like for him to be asked why he was doing it again considering he thought they gave him such a horrible edit this time.  In an AS season, he would get eaten alive.  If it is possible to make him look like more of a blubbering delusional idiot, they will.  I'm sure he will want to come back and be the Rupert 2.0 super fan that he thought he was going to be this time.  Hey, he wanted to be memorable.  He got his wish.  Hopefully enough time goes by before the next AS season, or they do another fan vote season that he won't even be considered.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I actually think Dan would be dumb enough to go back on Survivor, thinking he was going to get the hero edit he feels he deserves.  Hopefully, TPTB resist the temptation to set him up for an epic fail.

He often reminds me of Coach. I could also see Dan going back for a goat trip to the FTC which he would be intensely proud of, coming so close to winning.

(edited)

If he ever comes back and (as LadyChatts suggests) is eaten alive, I would like it if the editors ONLY showed Dan when he was crying. 

That would be such sweet justice.  And almost* worth it.

*but not actually

Edited by Special K
  • Love 3

The difference between Ben Wade and Dan is I don't think Ben thought he was made to look bad on Survivor.  Whether he was playing a character or is really that delusional he apparently viewed the entire "dragon slayee" depiction of him to be a good one.  So much so that he really never altered it on any of the seasons he appeared on.  He either didn't know or didn't care that the audience was laughing at him, not with him.

Dan, on the other hand, really felt he was the hero of the season and that TPTB went out of their way to make him look bad.  However, he probably also believes they have seen the error in their ways and would be happy to have him come back on to be treated as the Survivor genius he knows himself to be.

• Love 1

@ProfCrash, Dan's not a hero, but you might be for listening to him talk for three hours so I don't have to. That's the PTV version of throwing yourself on a grenade to save your fellow posters.

The difference between Ben Wade and Dan is I don't think Ben thought he was made to look bad on Survivor.  Whether he was playing a character or is really that delusional he apparently viewed the entire "dragon slayee" depiction of him to be a good one.  So much so that he really never altered it on any of the seasons he appeared on.

Ha. Very true. If his tearful conversation with Tyson is any indication, he was completely surprised that the other HvV players didn't think he was the greatest. Like, didn't they see Tocantins? Didn't they hear him say "dragon ... slayer" when the ball dropped in the hole? Come on, Villains.

• Love 1

It was 3 1/2 hours on YouTube. Occassionally i looked at the video but that was disturbing. I figure other folks blog the big brother live feeds, I can handle Dan.

It really was a longer version of his exit interview. Same lines, same delusions.

• Love 2

The difference between Ben Wade and Dan is I don't think Ben thought he was made to look bad on Survivor.

If Coach had felt he looked bad on Survivor I doubt he would have come back for another season. I don't think he ever complained about his new fame at all. He never did or said anything that offended viewers like Dan did in nearly every episode. Every ridiculous thing Coach said was entirely at his expense so he became more of a Survivor clown like Special Agent Shepard. 

Well, I was offended by Coach's "polygraph test" which supposedly proved everything he had ever said about himself was true but everyone else just kept on laughing at him. 

• Love 1

The difference between Ben Wade and Dan is I don't think Ben thought he was made to look bad on Survivor. 

Coach actually ran the game his last season.  He lost only because he shot himself in the foot at FTC, and couldn't admit a simple truth to two of his friends on the jury. 

Could Dan ever run a season of Survivor?  I would be shocked.  i.e. I think the gap between these two is huge. 

One more thing that struck me during his interview. Dan was excited to discuss the Will/Shirin fight. Dan claims that Shirin approached Dan about Will hoarding food and called will a fat bastard/fuck something along those times repeatedly. According to Dan, he could careless that Will might be hiding ood, Will had shared osme of it and he didn't have to, but Shirin was saying all sorts of nasty stuff about Will.

Here is my problem with Dan's version of events. Wiil and Dan are the only person who said Shirin was saying awful things about people. It is possible that the other Survivors have decided it would be bad to say bad things about Shirin and have simply kept their mouths shut and only Dan and Will are telling the truth. Except that Mike made it very clear in his podcasts that Shirin never spoke badly of other players to him. I cannot see Joe, Hali, and Jenn hanging out with Shirin if she was making derogatory remarks about anyone on a regular basis.

Second, the editors did not show Shirin in a positive light. She was shown to be annoying. She was shown poking at Joaquin. She was showing geeking out. The editors included the scenes of her being belittled and attacked but showing those scenes does not equate with Shirin having a good edit. It means that they showed how poorly she was treated by a few people.

Third, Dan points to Sierra's bonus clip saying that Shirin and Will were both responsible. The problem for Dan is that Sierra doed not explain what she means. Does she mean that Shirin was calling Will names and attacking Will or did she mean that Shirin should not have discussed the possibility that Will was hoarding food? Because the two are very different.

Finally, Tyler and Carolyn have both stated that they told Will he needed to apologize to Shirin because he crossed a line. Will agrees with Carolyn's version of things by saying that Carolyn told him to sit down and shut up and not leave her sight until the they left for tribal council. Will apologized to Mike and told Jenn that he had no hard feelings but held to his guns that what he said to Shirin was fine and true.

I get that Dan does not like how he was portrayed this season. I don't think anyone got a great portrayal in Seaon 30. Joe was great with challenges but did not play a good strategic or social game. Mike won but had planet of moments were he appeared bossy and controlling. Carolyn didn't really shine until the last three or four episodes. Tyler came off as swarmy. Shirin and Max were obnoxious. Jenn was a bit of a mean girl in some of her comments and then appeared to quit. I am trying to think of who the hero of this season was and I am drawing a blank.

There were plenty of villains. Dan was the largest but even then it wasn't much of what he was doing in terms of the game, it was his attitude towards women. He doesn't like the documented evidence that he does not treat women well. I think he really dislikes that he was not shown as a Survivor genius. He mentions the Joaquin vote out, something Mike gave him credit for. He discusses when he said something and then other people said the same thing and not him, specifically Rodney. He discusses his Survival prowess, stopping people from eating a bird that would make them sick, teaching folks how to fish, and other things.

He went out to play with an idea about how he would be edited and he is pissed that the editors/Producers saw something else. And he is more upset that the others are not backing him up.

• Love 4

Even, after this latest interview he just doesn't come off as likable to me. He just grosses me out in all areas. The way he looks, talks, acts & laughs. I guess I'm just not a fan and never will be. I'm glad he is gone and hopefully he won't be asked back. And, after this interview where he really trashes Probst it didn't help his cause. But-bye!!

• Love 3