Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Blunt

" Det. Riley and I are partners."   "Didn't see that one coming."   No dear, they aren't gay.   They work together.

"Finch, I think she just stole your watch."   Little smile "That's okay, I stole her ring."   Finch, I never knew you had such whimsy in you.

Hehehehehehehe.

But best of all "Everyone needs a champion."    Heavens yes, Finch.   Thank you.   I love his speeches about WHY they do what they do so much better than psycho Root's pontificating.   Although she is right.   They have to take the fight to Samaritan and recruit others.   You have no idea how much I hated typing that.

• Love 5

Hey, it's Caleb from 2piR. I notice I really like Luke Kleintank when he's not spouting southern fried bullshitisms on Bones. And Root's working for/with/against him.

I would be cool with Harper coming back again. I'd love to see her, Root, Zoe and Shaw have a girls night out.

• Love 2
Hey, it's Caleb from 2piR.

The drug-dealing high school computer genius who wanted to kill himself? I had a feeling that we were supposed to recognize him from somewhere, but I totally blanked, so all the dramatic effect was lost on me. He must be what, 18 or 19 now?

The episode kind of dragged, sorry to say. I didn't feel much tension, the story was straightforward and not particularly interesting. Oh well.

• Love 2

Caleb!!!! He and Finch have GOT to come face-to-face, right? And maybe Dominc too? This show uses continuity so damn well. Root's subplot was by far the most interesting thing about this episode, simply because the idea of recruiting opens up so many new paths and we're clearly beginning the ramp-up to the home stretch for the season. And awww, "'Everything that happened?' Is that what we're calling her now?" Root is still aching so bad over Shaw. I really am curious about Root and The Machine right now, and how The Machine made something approaching peace with Root, because obviously they're teaming up, but just as obviously Root still has a seething resentment going. You could write a dissertation about her passive-aggressive conversation with Harold at the start of the ep. But I can't help but feel like the show is really fumbling the snap with Root right now. Her crisis of faith should be much more epic than it is currently--they set up that storyline SO well, and now they're refusing to cash in on all the potential.

Overall, this episode was okay--it was better than last week's, but not as good as Guilty (or nearly as good as the Shaw quadrilogy). I think part of it was that it had too much going on; it wanted to be about the Number, Dominic, Dominic vs Reese, and Root's subplot, and there was just too much in the stew. And the Number really didn't do much for me. The writing for her was pretty hamfisted--that one conversation with Finch practically had the Exposition Fairy waving her wand overhead, and while this show has never been subtle that was ridiculous even for PoI--and I didn't think the actress brought much to the character, she wasn't super believable for me. Nor did she work well with Caviezel--she was much better with Emerson and Chapman. Also, there were too many eyeroll-worthy moments tonight--I really, really don't believe that in the heart of NYC a college kid could be kidnapped *from his dorm* by such obviously sketchy-looking 30-somethings, as all of the college dorms in NYC I've ever been in have had multiple security guards on duty at all times--and Dominic still doesn't have anything close to a win against Team Machine. I just can't take him seriously as a threat when his people seem barely to be able to avoid tripping over their own feet whenever they're confronting someone more capable than a college kid. At least the actor playing Dominic was better tonight than I've generally found him, but we need some Elias here stat. I do like the female lieutenant though! She has presence. And the height difference between Dominic and her never fails to make me grin.

I actually did laugh at the "Partners? Didn't see THAT coming," mostly because of Finch and Reese's reactions and because it was one of those "you SO walked into that" moments. I loved Fusco's snark tonight and how he was loving the Number giving John a hard time, and Kevin Chapman's new short hair is REALLY working for him--he looks ten years younger! And I appreciate that Dominic was allowed to call out the quasi-hypocrisy with Team Machine working with Elias and not Dominic; I mean, I understand why they are, but I appreciate that Dominic was allowed to point out the real ethical gray there. But that confrontation scene fell flat for me. It was supposed to be some big climactic thing, and it was a yawn. Kind of like the episode, really. The show hasn't really found its footing after MIA. I hope as we get into the groove for the last few episodes, that will change.

What was the dog chewing on at the beginning?

A dress shoe, I think. Bear was so CUTE when he was chewing though! How can you be mad at that face! At least it wasn't midterms....

So, what, they're auditioning potential Shaw's?

Yeah, you know, I appreciate that the show obviously wants to keep the girl power strong even with Shaw gone, but at this point it's so obvious that that's what they're doing that it's distracting. Just put Root in the field with Reese for an episode or two so that we can avoid the obviousness of the revolving door here. Or just bring Silva more into the fold.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5

OK, so supposedly in near-future NYC medical marijuana is legal? I kept thinking: is Reese supposed to be in Colorado or something?

NJ has medical marijuana, but it's next to impossible to get; and while they've floated the idea a few times, I think we're still several years away from getting it IRL. (And if medical maryjane had passed in the recent rigged election on the show, I would think they'd have mentioned it).

...perhaps Samaritan is experimenting with how to induce munchies in the populace.

And THANKS for pointing out that Caleb was the suicidal kid from a few seasons back; I would not have recognized him. He's definitely going to be one of the good guys.

As for this week's Shawdition, she was just a little too well-constructed for me: what kind of background could have produced that particular kind of hustler? One created by a writer trying to fill a hole in the cast. So far, the IAD cop is still the one I'm most interested in seeing again.

Also meant to add that I thought Trey was one of the most enjoyable secondary characters this season...right up there with the fake cop. 

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 2

I   stayed tonight to watch Annie Ilonzeh. I was glad that since she  had been on Arrow, she  got a good guest gig. I am actually hoping that she is sort of a Shaw temp. I like the idea of another ladies' night like johntfs suggested. It worked in "Lady Killer".

Everything seemed pretty straightforward, which is fine.  It worked for the story, so it was cool.

I am concerned that Root is isolating again, but if it means less dumping on helping normal, then I can deal. I agree that Team Machine needs to recruit, just don't sneer at helping folks who might one day be helpful, Root. Y'know, like the Machine had you understand earlier in the season? (I know, pissed over Sameen still, but...) 

Lionel being badass is always welcome. Maybe Harper can pop up as a fake cop and work with Lionel, just like John! *g*

• Love 1

Really enjoyed the episode.  Nice faceoff between Reese and Dominic, whom I particularly liked.  Root recruiting is a very interesting storyline and I love the idea of the Machine building an army to fight back against Samaritan. 

Harper was really unlikeable. 

Heheh on Finch knowing a lot about pot.

Now I remember who Caleb is.  That was a good episode he was from.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

So, what, they're auditioning potential Shaw's?

What was the dog chewing on at the beginning?

1. Seems like, yeah?  They were laying it on thick with this particular one.

2. A Bontoni shoe. A very, very expensive shoe.

kwnyc, I am adopting Shawdition. 

And there is at least one more in episode 18. Oy!

Sorry, PoI, there's only one Shaw for me.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 4

Could someone please remind me which episode Caleb was from again.

Heheh on Finch knowing a lot about pot.

Episode 2x11, 2πR. That's also the episode where Finch gave the speech about pi that Dominic seemed to recite earlier this season, leading to a lot of speculation that Dominic was in the classroom that day. Now that Caleb has popped up again somewhat randomly, I do wonder if the show is going there, because the show also seemed to make a point tonight of reminding us that Dominic knows about Shaw, Fusco, and I guess Root (though I thought he'd never seen her?), but NOT Finch.

I really feel there is a webseries about Finch's misspent, hit-with-the-ladies youth just begging to be made!

• Love 2

stealinghome, I think Dominic was referring to Dani Silva as the other Shawdi--, er, "pretty brunette" (see: Point of Origin).

Edited by DEM

Oh, good call, DEM. I forgot that Silva was a Brotherhood target in her first episode. You're totally right that that's to whom Dominic was referring.

Count me in as another who feels like Silva is the best Shawdition so far--I wouldn't mind if she stays recurring--but c'mon, show, there is only one true vintage Shaw. :) Stop throwing knockoffs at us!

Speaking of Shaw, I really want to see the conversation where Root told Harold that she doesn't want to talk about Shaw. I know we never will, but oh, to be a fly on that particular wall. I guess it must have happened between the last episode and this one. (I'm always confused, though, as to how much contact Root supposedly has with the team when she's not on-screen. I generally get the vibe that Root doesn't see the team in between appearances, and tend to think that's how it's generally written, but then there have been just enough references to off-screen stuff to where the writers clearly think she sees Finch and Shaw, at least, in between episodes. I wish they would be a little more consistent on this.)

• Love 3

kwnyc, the press release for this episode included Nick Dawson, the Samaritan pawn who was placed in the Governor's office at the end of Prophets. It could be that there was supposed to be a (flashback?) sequence showing the legalisation of medical marijuana.  The Samaritan POV graphics that displayed a cost-benefit analysis of full legalisation would fit such a scenario.  See, Samaritan is not so bad! It just wants a happy, mellow populace (generating a lot of tax revenue)!  Is that so wrong?

Edited by DEM
  • Love 3

What a great ep!  I give it 4-1/2 out of 5 stars, starting with the fact that our girl number was no damsel in distress.  I get so sick sometimes in the procedural shows of the female protagonist being helpless and in need of rescue by the heroes.  This girl was not "their girl," not by a long shot.  

Maybe this bringing back legacy characters is becoming a trend.  It was great seeing Caleb Phipps again.  (And it is nice to know he's one of the good guys.)  I loved 2-pi-R, so when I saw him, I thought he looked familiar, I rushed right over to IMDB.  And then there was Zoe making an appearance a couple of weeks ago.  If anyone knows the writers, I would love to see what's happened to Cub from Wolf and Cub, S01E14, played by Astro, also one of my all-time favorite eps.  

I think sort of in a backwards way Shahi's absence has given the writers the opportunity to bring back some of our favorites, which I think does nothing but enrich the small story arcs.  I kind of like that they haven't done much with the meta or serial elements of the story in a while, giving everything time to percolate and breathe.  

I also enjoyed the pot subplot.  I live in Oregon and will be able to buy my first legal pot in about three months, so I found the details they laid out fascinating.  I don't know if our stores will have that problem here -- or the stores operating now in Washington State for that matter -- but it's an interesting idea.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity

I'm not seeing the Shaw connection. Harper's way more Zoe then Shaw and from the way they framed it she could fight for either side.

I see that everybody on this show is apparently recruiting people now. That's going to get old, fast.

As is Roots attitude. I get that she's grieving but going off on Finch for the purpose of going off on Finch is starting to work my nerves.

I definitely think that the "pretty little brunette" is Root. It makes no sense for the writers having Dominic allude to an insignificant number. The purpose of Dominic revealing his information was to let Reese know that he's watching Reese.

Dominic still doesn't have anything close to a win against Team Machine

I'd argue that he pretty much manipulated team machine into getting rid of one of his competitors and got the face to face meeting with Harper without revealing his motives to the team. That is a fairly significant victory.

I don't want to be one of those people needlessly pulling that card. But when Reese was talking about helping innocent people and leaving Elias alone because he stayed out of their way, that was starting to come off a little ... to me.

Tiny question has Dominique's female lieutenant and second in command been in the same episode?

Ok Dominic.  Murder?  Fine.  Extortion?  I'll let it slide.  Drug Smuggling?  Alright, whatever.  Gold Farming for MMO's?  Too far dude - you and the Brotherhood must die a horrible and painful death.  Though I imagine Samaritan might not be too keen on your laundering process - there's already a Chinese connection to Decima, and "Chinese Gold Farmers" are the bane of most MMO games.  But I'd definitely watch a "Warriors of the Realm" episode done in Machinima form (using a video game engine to make a short film) where 'Root and The Machine hack into the game to fight the evil Brotherhood Gold Farmers - but Samaritan lurks at every resource node'.... lol

The case of the week was OK I guess.  It didn't really advance anything with The Brotherhood though - all it established is what we already know.  They're expanding and Elias is still out there.  Harper was alright (I think she and Shaw would get on pretty well), but it all sort of feels as if it's an extended calm before the storm.  Like we just know something huge is coming, and the waiting for it is a killer. 

Really nice to see a callback to Caleb Phipps who made that super-dooper compression algorithm back in the season 2 episode 2piR.  It's interesting to see that as angry as Root was at the end of MIA, she's still working with The Machine.  I think there's definitely resentment bubbling under the surface though, which you could see in her conversion with Harold especially when he awkwardly tried to step around having to use Shaw's name.  The Machine better be careful, because if Root isn't allowed to deal with losing Shaw, then She might have a very explosive situation on her digital hands when Root snaps. 

Also on that Caleb note, I do hope Jason Greenfield, Daniel Casey and Daizo turn up again.  Considering they were the other 3 (along with John, Shaw, Finch and Root) to be given a blind spot in Samaritan's all-seeing eye they have been conspicuously absent this season.  If Root is assembling help to fight against Samaritan, then I would think those 3 would be at the forefront. 

• Love 3
I don't know if our stores will have that problem here -- or the stores operating now in Washington State for that matter -- but it's an interesting idea.

Actually, I read that in Colorado, a lot of banks are refusing deposits from pot dispensaries because they are federally insured and it's still a federal crime to sell pot. So the feds ARE essentially creating a situation where huge amounts of cash are floating around essentially waiting to be stolen or laundered. And, as Harold points out, creating something akin to a Prohibition scenario (which fueled the rise of modern organized crime).

So maybe THAT's why the kid wanted to see the President!

• Love 5

" Det. Riley and I are partners."   "Didn't see that one coming."   No dear, they aren't gay.   They work together.

Well, yes, but this isn't the first time that the two of them have been read as a romantic couple, and one of the many things the show is great at is not doing any "No Homo"ing. Reese and Finch didn't react to Harper's interpretation of "partner" at all, they just proceeded to tackle the case at hand.

I really am curious about Root and The Machine right now, and how The Machine made something approaching peace with Root, because obviously they're teaming up, but just as obviously Root still has a seething resentment going. You could write a dissertation about her passive-aggressive conversation with Harold at the start of the ep. 

God yes re the passive-aggressive convo!

Root: Nice to see you hard at work ...

Finch: Oh, you're back again?

Root: ... saving important irrelevant numbers like potheads.

Finch: Although I worry about you as much as ever, I have given you your space as you asked.

Root: No, you did that because dealing with me is a little bit scary and uncomfortable right now.  Just like old times!

Root [bitterly]: "Everything that happened" - is that her name now?

Finch: Alright then, I will now use her actual name.

Root: [Looks away furiously and changes the subject.]

The plan Root is pursuing is really interesting - I have so many questions!  If a major confrontation with Decima/Samaritan is going to happen by the end of the season, how many more recruiting missions will we see or learn about?  Harold didn't look convinced about the plan - is he going to come around or will this cause a deeper rift between Root and Finch+Reese?  And I think it could end pretty badly for the recruits; they'll probably end up in Samaritan's crosshairs at some point, but how much will Root let them know about who/what they're fighting?  

I find Dominic lackluster as a criminal villain (he's no Elias!), maybe because I can't help but compare him to Lemond Bishop on The Good Wife, who is just chilling.  But the plotline was mildly interesting - I too liked the gold farming element - and it was also used to bring in yet another Shaw-lite character.  Harper worked better on paper for me than in the ep, but she has potential.  I still like Silva the most out of all the recent female action characters, both for herself and her chemistry with Fusco.

Oh, and Luke Kleintank was also on Pretty Little Liars as one of the girls' love interests last season, which is where I've seen him most recently.  

Edited by wevel
  • Love 4

Well, yes, but this isn't the first time that the two of them have been read as a romantic couple, and one of the many things the show is great at is not doing any "No Homo"ing. Reese and Finch didn't react to Harper's interpretation of "partner" at all, they just proceeded to tackle the case at hand.

Err, I ignored it as well. Partners has a direct obvious cop definition, for one thing.

• Love 2

Also meant to add that I thought Trey was one of the most enjoyable secondary characters this season..

I loved his "Whoa" when Reese slid down the rope to rescue him. I liked him too and I liked that the Team made Harper realize she wasn't the only one who might get hurt by her criminal activities.

• Love 2

I found Harper to be underwhelming.  She didn't have the je ne sais quo to make me want to spend more time with her.  Her goofball faux boyfriend was much more appealing.

Dominic was better this ep then in prior ones.  The actor could radiate the predator menace if he wanted to, but I don't buy him as a thinker.

I loved when Fusco called Reese "Detective Sunshine".

• Love 2

Harper really rubbed me the wrong way, she's the worst Shawdition so far imo.

I really need to rewatch the 2πr episode, it seems like its ties to the myth arc are getting stronger. Dominic's expositions are becoming a parody of themselves at this point, why would he tell a hostage (who was nothing more than bait) his video game money laundering plans? I still need someone to bring him down a notch. In every episode he never loses, at worst he always breaks even. So he will probably take out every rival until Elias comes for him but that's a long way off.  

• Love 1

Harper was played by Annie Ilonzeh, whom I recognized from *whispers* Charlie's Angels, the awful TV remake a few years ago. Don't judge too harshly, I only watched a couple of episodes.

Hey, I watched the entire airing, so I really can't judge.  It really was crap, but I kind of feel bad that it didn't seem to effect Minka Kelly and Rachael Taylor not only wasn't effected, but somehow keeps landing big roles; while Annie at best gets guest spots like on Arrow and now here.  Better then nothing, I guess.  That said, I wasn't a huge fan of Harper.  A bit too obnoxious at times, and if the gang is looking for a Shaw-replacement, I'm sure they can find better.  I was actually more invested in Trey; I didn't want that poor stoner to be collateral damage!

I couldn't remember Caleb, so the big reveal didn't quite work for me, but I figured he was probably a past POI.  I do like how the show brings them up like this.  I really want them to find a way to bring back the POI all the way back from the pilot; that would be entertaining to try.

Today in why Fusco is the best: Harper pulls out the nightstick, he's just like "Nice.  But, see my nice little tazer with all the volts running through it?"  Ending the fight before it even began.  Yep, Fusco is awesome.

Dominic and The Brotherhood make a return.  I do like that he's using video games to funnel the money.  Goes with the idea that this is a new generation of criminals, making headway against the old-timers.  And, I've noticed that between this and Justified, legalized marijuana is becoming the new big thing with crooks.

Bad Bear!  I know you miss Shaw, but taking it out on Finch's shoes are not cool!

Root did seem to be way more hostile with Finch, so I wonder if this attitude is going to keep going on.

Shawdition, love it. But this one not so much. Other than her potential to switch to The Brotherhood, I don't see any skills she has that the others don't. Reese, Root and apparently Finch can easily swipe things undetected. She's no Shaw, or Zoe. Although I'll say Zoe wasn't a Shawdition, she was around from nearly the beginning.

I don't think they are looking to bring a full time replacement to replace Shaw, at least not until they know what Sara's level of involvement will be after she has the twins. More like a list of potential recurring characters to bring back when their particular skills are needed. None of them so far are exciting enough to want to see on a weekly basis. Dani was probably the best but even with her, she's not someone I'm dying to see come back. Wish they hadn't killed off Kara Stanton, she would've been great.

Still don't care at all about the Brotherhood. Elias can show up and take him out anytime.

ETA: The Caleb reveal did fall flat. I knew we were supposed to know who he was but I couldn't and I just watched S2 for the first time over the summer. I can't imagine many who'd only see it way back when it originally aired remembered. Some kind of line to reference his first appearance would have helped. But then again I love that this show expects the viewers to pay attention. To everything.

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 5

Today in why Fusco is the best: Harper pulls out the nightstick, he's just like "Nice.  But, see my nice little tazer with all the volts running through it?"  Ending the fight before it even began.  Yep, Fusco is awesome.

Pure Fusco gold. I rewound and watched that twice.

• Love 6

Yet another fun, action-packed episode. The fun part was predictable because of the subject matter, but the action was a pleasant surprise. Speaking of fun, Reese's smile when Finch huffed, all 'so I know a lot about pot, OK?' was a thing of beauty. I love it when Reese teases him about stuff like this. Man, these past few episodes have obviously been less exciting than the usual Samaritan-related PoI fare, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't enjoy the Season One-ness of it all. Reese out in the field and Finch in his ear, manning the computer.

And then there’s Root. I loved the awkwardness between her and Finch. He was all 'you said this, you said that', clearly showing he was trying to appease her, to get her to stay or even to not upset her (by   the way, Amy Acker did an amazing job in that split second it took her to react to Harold mentioning Shaw's abduction/'death'). The Machine seems to have realised Team Machine needs more allies, and Root is obviously helping along again. That’s interesting, and I also like that, finally, Root gets to do something that utilises (and also showcases) her computer skills. By the way, fun little cameo from Caleb, Finch's genius old student. I love that this show never forgets. And Root as the mousy, sweet coder was just precious. I wonder if we’ll see more of that or that’ll be one of the stuff she does when she’s offscreen.

As for the main number? Reese trying to blend in on campus? On a women’s floor?  I'm just glad PoI resists the trend of shows catering to their stars by always having extras swoon over them. I never can get enough of seeing people call Reese a creep. Also, that man just cannot blend in anywhere.

Lots of fun little moments. Reese rattling off his ‘condition’, all 'PTSD, been shot multiple times'?  'Sweet Mary Jane'? Reese dropping his card on the guy he knocked out? YES. Also, now it's 'Cop in a Suit'. I love it. Almost as much as I love the fact people keep calling Reese out on not being a cop. And I’m glad others liked the stoner boyfriend as well. I totally agree, he was hilarious. The actor did a great job in a pretty small role, I chuckled basically every time he spoke. 'What happens nooooow?' as he was being pulled out of the ceiling was the highlight. Also fun to see quite a bit of Fusco, though as a sniper I’m sure he’s no Shaw.

I also liked that we saw more of Dominic's operation. I don't know if he was genuinely asking Reese if he could get the same deal as Elias, but that was an interesting tidbit. Personally, I'd believe that Dominic would rather steer clear of Reese, that he'd set his ego aside and give up on wanting Reese dead (though, as seen in this episode, I'm sure he'd still want to know just where Reese fits in the grand scheme of things). And, of course, Dominic remains always a bit ahead of the game (like the fact he has legitimised his operation, down to the registered weapons).

We also had some great action scenes. I loved the fact Reese was just casually walking around during a shootout, shooting people in the kneecap as he ambled along. And the club scene? A literally choreographed fight sequence? Man I love this show.

Well, yes, but this isn't the first time that the two of them have been read as a romantic couple, and one of the many things the show is great at is not doing any "No Homo"ing. Reese and Finch didn't react to Harper's interpretation of "partner" at all, they just proceeded to tackle the case at hand.

I couldn't agree more. And I, too, LOVED Reese going 'she's definitely no one's girl'. It's the little things. It's so great to watch a show (especially a network show) without having to endure even casual homophobia or misogyny. Sure, I agree that the writers may have gone a little overboard with the badass women after Shaw's exit. But isn't that awesome? I'm sure that on most other shows most of these roles would be played by men.

Speaking of badass women, personally I liked 'Harper'. And she was introduced in an episode that was about recruiting useful, skilled people to the cause. I'd like to see her return; she was a bit of a know-it-all and the dialogue was sometimes heavy-handed (shades of Shaw’s introduction? Is she the one? Versus Silva's more lowkey appearances?) but she was also funny and she could hold her own on multiple levels (physically and mentally). And she was refreshingly nonchalant about her criminal activity, though she still didn’t want to let innocent people actually get hurt. And there’s the Dominic angle, him wanting to recruit her. Interesting. Could she go ‘undercover’, working for the Brotherhood? Would Dominic pick up on that? At any rate, there’s a lot of potential there.  I also thought she had good chemistry with all 3 men in different ways, though I agree her connection with Reese wasn't as strong. And it was fun to see Finch hit a nerve with that ring, to show us she’s not without her weaknesses. And a sweet little moment at the end, when she stole Finch's watch and he stole her ring.

I don't care. Personally, I would be all for having Harper/Fiona/Maria back. Silva too. As regulars. And Iris and Zoe can recur. And Shaw will, of course, come back. Make it happen, show!

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 6

I liked this episode, but I don't really need to see Harper again, she just wasn't compelling as a character. I don't care about her. I didn't care about her boyfriend either, but hopefully that's the last we'll see of him.  I did love Fusco with the taser, like just try it.  I have no recollection of Caleb, I thought he was the guy from last week who was arrested. I'll have to find that episode from season 2.

Have we seen Dominic's #2 guy or did he die in the same episode as Scarface? I can't remember.  Dominic smiling is creepy, not in a good way.

I'm over Root and her grief, specifically why is she mad at Harold and why does she think she's the only one who is frustrated with the Machine.  And isn't she still working for the Machine or is she off doing her own thing?

Have we seen Dominic's #2 guy or did he die in the same episode as Scarface? I can't remember.

Dominic's number 2 survived the explosion.  Not sure why he wasn't in this episode.  Maybe it was his character's night off.

I'm not seeing the Shaw connection. Harper's way more Zoe then Shaw and from the way they framed it she could fight for either side.

For me, the way they had her disappear and reappear as if out of thin air pretty much screamed "I am a Shaw fill-in." That's Shaw's signature trick (or it was for a while, at least, much to Harold's consternation!).

I'm over Root and her grief, specifically why is she mad at Harold and why does she think she's the only one who is frustrated with the Machine.

See, I get Root's grief/anger with Harold. I mean, first of all, grief isn't logical to begin with--there's a reason one of the five stages of loss is anger. People who have lost someone lash out at others, even when it's not logical or rational or even necessarily fair. (On some level, it may actually indicate that Root feels like her bond with Harold is strong enough to where he's someone safe for her to yell at.) Shaw is like the oozing wound Root can't help but pick at right now--she can't not think/talk about her, but she doesn't want to think/talk about her, so she doesn't want others to talk about Shaw but she doesn't want them NOT to talk about Shaw either, she's just in an emotional tailspin. Nothing will make her happy. 'Cause she's grieving. And second, I can absolutely see where, from Root's perspective, Harold's been pretty insensitive about Shaw's death. It's not that I think Harold doesn't care--he totally, absolutely does--but they process grief really really differently. Root gets uber-emotional, while Harold tends to shut down and want to run away. Root tormented the people responsible for her friend's death for twenty years, while Harold's default response to loss has always been to restart his life. (And we've seen that distancing in Harold in really subtle ways.) From Root's perspective, I can see where that looks like Finch just wants to forget about Shaw, pretend nothing happened and she didn't exist (and I get why that perception infuriates Root). And let's not forget that Harold has been wanting to think Shaw's dead from the get-go--Root won't forgive/forget that he basically wanted to stop searching before they even started, and she must resent that he's NOT trying to help her track Shaw down now, and honestly, at times during 4x12/13, Harold did kind of come off like he was being "get over it, move on, she's dead." That's not how he intended to be, I know, but he did kind of give off that vibe at times. And again, that's just him and how he copes--it's a total self-protective mechanism--but I didn't blame Root for being testy with him in 4x13. She just doesn't have the emotional distance right now. And then you come to this episode, and Harold is going to throw Shaw in Root's face as a reason to not recruit people (which honestly was pretty cold), except he can't even say her name--there's that "hurry up and forget about her" again--and yeah, I can understand why Root is pissy with Harold. It's not logical, necessarily, but emotions rarely are, and I think there are good reasons why her anger is directed toward Finch as opposed to Reese/Fusco/etc.

tbh, I think she thinks she's the only one frustrated with The Machine because she kind of is the only one annoyed with The Machine right now. Finch and Reese have blithely gone back to saving numbers as if not a whole lot has changed. She's the only person glaring daggers at The Machine for not telling them what's up with Shaw.

I'd argue that he pretty much manipulated team machine into getting rid of one of his competitors and got the face to face meeting with Harper without revealing his motives to the team. That is a fairly significant victory.

But how much of that was really Dominic? The only reason he avoided getting arrested by the cops is because Harper, who masterminded the whole meet and greet, called to tip him off that he needed to get all his gang's guns registered and so forth. And Harper laid out that she masterminded the cartel going down to get Dominic off her back in the first place. I don't really think Dominic had anything to do with getting rid of the competition, aside from being vaguely menacing enough to have Harper want to appease him (AFTER Team Machine drilled it into her head ad nauseum that he was dangerous). And I didn't think Harper was all that interesting, so I didn't think simply getting a face-to-face with her was a big deal, but ymmv on that. I wouldn't call it a clear-cut victory at any rate.

Tiny question has Dominique's female lieutenant and second in command been in the same episode?

I do not believe so, no. I'm not sure how much of that is actor availability versus the show laying pipe for Dominic to have rival #2s, though--Floyd (the female lieutenant) has only been in 2 episodes. And to whoever asked above, no, we haven't seen Link since Scarface died, but as far as we know Link is still alive--but this was the first time we saw Dominic after that happened, too, so I'm not sure how big Link's non-presence was/is.

Thinking about it makes me realize that I find BOTH of Dominic's #2s to be more interesting/compelling than Dominic himself.

Dominic's expositions are becoming a parody of themselves at this point, why would he tell a hostage (who was nothing more than bait) his video game money laundering plans?

For real--I'm starting to wonder if the actor gets paid by the word or something! I get that the show wants Dominic's intelligence to be laid out and that therefore they have to have him explain it to people (I guess), but it's getting sooo clunky. I also don't think monologuing is the actor's strength, tbh. I tend to tune out when he starts up. The actor is much better when playing off others.

I'm just glad PoI resists the trend of shows catering to their stars by always having extras swoon over them. I never can get enough of seeing people call Reese a creep.

It's so funny you say this, because I tend to have the exact opposite reaction. Maybe not last night, but I generally feel as if women hit on Reese on a pretty unrealistically frequent basis. I know Jim Caviezel is good-looking and all, but still.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5

Thanks for all who explained that the computer company guy who hired Root was Caleb from season 2. I knew we were supposed to recognize him but he looks just like the guy from last week to me. It wouldn't make sense for it to be guy-from-last-week because he's in jail, but I couldn't place Caleb.

It's only taken nearly the full season for Root to act on the idea the rest of us have had since last season: recruit a team.

Everything Harold is gold, from the shoe to familiarity with pot to stealing the ring.

• Love 3

Dominic's number 2 survived the explosion.  Not sure why he wasn't in this episode.  Maybe it was his character's night off.

The actor whom I call Marlo from The Wire, is currently on Bosch, on Amazon. Not sure how big a role but there you have it.

It's only taken nearly the full season for Root to act on the idea the rest of us have had since last season: recruit a team.

Yes. It's about time that SOMEBODY pointed out that these people should be recruiting people to their side to try and even things out between Team Machine and Samaritan. I've mentioned this more than once, but it's pretty ridiculous that The Machine doesn't have hundreds if not thousands of agents just like Root all over the world undermining Samaritan and Decima in every way that they can and as a result it seems that Samaritan has pretty much all the cards in this fight to the point it's hard to believe Team Machine could possibly come out on top or even make a dent.

Really, The Machine could at least be hiring people completely anonymously all over the world to do seemingly harmless things to try and slow down Samaritan's progress. Pay a hacker to plant viruses in the computers of Decima's front companies, pay a few random people to show up to where a minor crime Samaritan has it's hands in to act as witnesses or dissuade them from committing it in the first place, anonymously hire some security guards to guard something Samaritan would otherwise attack if they weren't there, that sort of thing.

• Love 1

Harper failed to impress.  I was left with the impression that while she had skills, she didn't have the brains to recognize a clear danger to her own self.  Ok, so she's ripping off the Brotherhood, and she drags the Cartel into it... as a diversion?!??  She didn't think having Dominic/the Brotherhood pissed at her was bad enough?  Dumb-ass.

Yes, Team Machine need to recruit, and writing a suitable app could be a very clever mechanism for achieving this end.  But what exactly does the app do?  Why are miscellaneous people going to use it, and how does it benefit Team machine?  None of this was covered.

Root says she wanted to combine her basic app with their (Caleb's) compression algorithm to create a winning product.  But surely the Machine could provide her with a compression algorithm to suit her particular needs whatever they may be?  So, it came off more as if what she really wanted was to slip into bed with Caleb & Co.  I'm justt wondering where Caleb & Co. stand.  Was Root trying to form a relationship with an ally?  Or sneak into the inner circle of an enemy?

Bear obviously is getting a little stir-crazy.  Last action I recall was using his SCUBA training.  Time for an episode which requires him to make a HALO drop!

Root says she wanted to combine her basic app with their (Caleb's) compression algorithm to create a winning product.  But surely the Machine could provide her with a compression algorithm to suit her particular needs whatever they may be?  So, it came off more as if what she really wanted was to slip into bed with Caleb & Co.  I'm justt wondering where Caleb & Co. stand.  Was Root trying to form a relationship with an ally?  Or sneak into the inner circle of an enemy?

Like you said, she just used the app to either infiltrate or recruit Caleb. She was going undercover the whole time as a programmer looking to get hired and she and The Machine targeted Caleb's company specifically for reasons unknown right now. 

• Love 1

kwnyc, you get mad props for Shawdition. I suspect we'll all be using it for the rest of the season, or at least if/until Ms. Shahi returns. 

Harper as the latest Shawdition was pretty good, better than last week's and, though I'm sure to be in the minority on this, better in terms of acting than Dani Silva. I'd like to see her given a more engaging development should she return, though at this point the writers have set up a bunch of former Irrelevants for possible returns as well as Control, Grice, and Brooks so it could get kinda crowded were they all to come back around the same time. But, overall, I think Harper has potential and I very much liked the actress. Though, I suspect my favorite upcoming Shawdition will be 

Katheryn Winnick

Dominic bothered me less this episode than in the ones prior and I thought he had a good point when he prodded Reese about why does Elias get a pass when he doesn't. I, too, was not satisfied by Reese's answer. And then a part of me started to wonder if it would be possible for Team Dominic to join forces with Team Machine if it came time to go against Samaritan. I think we all know Root's point about recruiting is spot on; our guys need more bodies for this upcoming war. 

Speaking of Root, I love it when she goes rogue and I simply don't believe at this point that she's working with The Machine, no matter what she's said at this point. I have a sneaking suspicion she's in full-Hacker Root mode and our having yet to see the black and yellow Interface box around her since her departure at the conclusion of "M.I.A." is only adding fuel to my mental fire. I'm sure Harold would not approve, but I bet Reese would. Or at least he'd understand. Man oh man do I still hope we get more Reese and Root moments in upcoming episodes. These two are strikingly similar despite their seeming differences. Plus, they're very efficient together. **crosses fingers**

And, because it cannot be said enough, I miss Shaw and if I were Bear I, too, would be acting out my grief on expensive shoes. 

• Love 2

Dominic bothered me less this episode than in the ones prior and I thought he had a good point when he prodded Reese about why does Elias get a pass when he doesn't. I, too, was not satisfied by Reese's answer. And then a part of me started to wonder if it would be possible for Team Dominic to join forces with Team Machine if it came time to go against Samaritan. I think we all know Root's point about recruiting is spot on; our guys need more bodies for this upcoming war.  

About the Dominic vs Elias thing, and not just your post specifically...  It's not like Team Machine is actively going after Dominic either.  Their paths have crossed, but it's been based on the number.  When the number doesn't tie in, they aren't hunting him down or interrupting his business any more than they are Elias.  

Speaking of Root, I love it when she goes rogue and I simply don't believe at this point that she's working with The Machine, no matter what she's said at this point. I have a sneaking suspicion she's in full-Hacker Root mode and our having yet to see the black and yellow Interface box around her since her departure at the conclusion of "M.I.A." is only adding fuel to my mental fire.

Ooh, I hadn't thought about it before but now that you brought it up, I'm dying to see what Root's box looks like (no, that's not a euphemism, get your minds out of the gutter).

But yeah, I agree that Root is Up to No Good. Because let's face it, if Root needed some geeky hackery algorithm for an app idea, she could write the damn thing herself. Babyface Caleb has something she wants.

• Love 1
About the Dominic vs Elias thing, and not just your post specifically...  It's not like Team Machine is actively going after Dominic either.  Their paths have crossed, but it's been based on the number.  When the number doesn't tie in, they aren't hunting him down or interrupting his business any more than they are Elias.

I too have wondered whether the team could come to some sort of cease fire/quasi-truce with Dominic, the way they have with Elias, but then I found myself asking another question: namely, even if they did, would Dominic actually respect whatever agreement they came to? I don't think he would. He doesn't value anything, so why would things like agreements and handshakes and whatnot matter to him? I thought this was demonstrated pretty amply in 4x09, when he told Elias that he would let Scarface go if Elias gave himself up, and then proceeded to...not let Scarface go when Elias gave himself up. So I'm not sure the team could ever come to an agreement with Dominic, because he'd throw it away the first time it became inconvenient for him. That, to me, is really why the team has tended to side with Elias--because however twisted, he does have a sense of...I don't want to say honor, so perhaps obligation...that Dominic just doesn't. Within very strict and limited parameters, they can rely on Elias in a way they'd never be able to rely on Dominic.

But yeah, I agree that Root is Up to No Good. Because let's face it, if Root needed some geeky hackery algorithm for an app idea, she could write the damn thing herself. Babyface Caleb has something she wants.

I don't think Root has gone TOTALLY rogue from The Machine (mostly because the show is proving it doesn't have the balls to go there), but I could 500% believe that she's also conducting her own missions/executing her own plans on the side, and that Caleb has way more to do with her personal mission than The Machine's mission.

I am really interested in what she wants Caleb for, because I could see that going a number of ways. Is Samaritan in control, or about to be in control, of Caleb's company, so Root working there gets a mole on the inside? Is the app itself going to matter at all--either as a recruitment tool or a way to hack Samaritan--or is the app incidental, just a way to get Root in the door?

I've mentioned this more than once, but it's pretty ridiculous that The Machine doesn't have hundreds if not thousands of agents just like Root all over the world undermining Samaritan and Decima in every way that they can.... Really, The Machine could at least be hiring people completely anonymously all over the world to do seemingly harmless things to try and slow down Samaritan's progress.

Are we entirely sure The Machine isn't, though? ;)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Really, The Machine could at least be hiring people completely anonymously all over the world to do seemingly harmless things to try and slow down Samaritan's progress.

And to echo Stealinghome, do we know the Machine is NOT doing this?

She was perfectly capable of hiring dozens of people and staffing a large office when all those people were transcribing her memories; there might be, if not an army, then a planeload of really smart people quietly doing things in the background: from the hackers that the Machine "hid" from Samaritan to any number of the useful people Team Machine has run across up until now (and yes, I keep hoping the crazy billionaire who gave Harold a very expensive (and bugged) watch turns up again...)

• Love 1

Plus Daniel, Jason and Daizo (Root's hacker minions from Season3) are still out there with their spoofed identities that Samaritan is blind to.  Who knows what they've been up to under instruction from either Root or The Machine.

• Love 1

I'm beginning to think that I'm in this only for Shaw and Root. The basic premise of this show is not one that I would normally gravitate to, even though I do enjoy it. But with Shaw away, Ms Groves keeps me rooted. (Funny?). I feel quite happy when she appears so I hope we find out what her intentions are.

I was not impressed with Harper. She annoyed me with her bad self.  

• Love 2

And to echo Stealinghome, do we know the Machine is NOT doing this?

She was perfectly capable of hiring dozens of people and staffing a large office when all those people were transcribing her memories; there might be, if not an army, then a planeload of really smart people quietly doing things in the background: from the hackers that the Machine "hid" from Samaritan to any number of the useful people Team Machine has run across up until now (and yes, I keep hoping the crazy billionaire who gave Harold a very expensive (and bugged) watch turns up again...)

We do know The Machine isn't, because it's been explicitly stated several times by Root, most notably at the beginning of the season (I don't remember the exact quote, something akin to Team Machine vs the world) and in this very episode, as Root claims they need to start recruiting when that shouldn't be necessary if The Machine has been spending all this time already doing so. It's true they have quite a lot of former numbers that owe them favors which is probably what Caleb is intended to be, but Caleb is the first indication given that any attempts at recruitment of them are being made or have been made.

In short, if The Machine is and has been recruiting we've been given little to no indication of it and quite a bit to the contrary.

Edited by immortalfrieza

But to play devil's advocate, it's not like The Machine is always truthful and/or forthcoming with the team. (See: current status of Shaw, Sameen, or Ernest Thornhill.) Root may think that The Machine has no other operatives, and that may be what The Machine is telling (or implying to) Root, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. While I think it unlikely, I wouldn't put it past the writers to have a few Machine operatives that our team didn't know about pop up in the last 2 episodes of the season.

Regardless, I don't think any "us against the world" statements by Root indicate that The Machine hasn't necessarily been hiring, to your point above, a hacker here, a few random witnesses or a security guard there, for very "minor tasks," without ever cluing that person into Samaritan and the larger game. To be doing Ernest Thornhill again, only for anti-Samaritan purposes. I took Root's comments in 4x01 (and in this episode) to be talking about telling new people everything and making them full-fledged team members, not just someone used for a very specific task and then let go. (Heck, I'm not sure that Root's nerd gang ever really knew the full story about The Machine--they probably did, but I'm not sure if it was specified one way or the other.)

• Love 1