Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: SNL 40th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

That Hartman/Farley clip...damn. Who knew the "So Long, Farewell" skit honoring their departures would be so sadly ironic just a few years later? Now it's vaguely unsettling.

Same goes for "Love is a Dream." It was already sweet, now it's a total tear-jerker.

• Love 8

A lot of time wasted. They haven't shown much from the 90s, which was when I started watching. Would have liked to have seen a lot more Hartman and Jan Hooks. And Dana Carvey and Mike Myers. If I were them I would wonder why I botgered coming.

I've never watched the previous specials, but based on what I've seen tonight not sure I would watch the next one.

I have the 15th Anniversary Show on tape, and it was an *awesome* special.  Definitely worth the watch.

• Love 1

SNL Top Ten

10) Live Show

9) Satire. I love whenever they showed Wayne & Garth being much more intelligent than they led on.

8) Saturday Night Dead

7) Catch Phrases

6) Musical Guest. But where was the love for Aerosmith?

5) Kanye, Sit Down. Loved the Beck shout out.

4) Opening Credits Sequence

3) Aftershow Orgies, er, Wigs.

2) Lorne Michaels. Mike Meyers and Carvey have great Lorne impressions.

1) The Crew. They deserve it, having to run a 90 minute live show every week with as little errors as possible is a Herculean task. And tonight is two and a half hours of that.

Of course during the pan the people standing first were crew members. Anyone spot any other famous people in the audience?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

I wish they'd do a sketch of all the cast members doing Lorne impressions. They never get old.

That would have been funny.  You know that the first cast and the later casts would have had completely different takes on him given the passage of time.

• Love 2

That would have been funny.  You know that the first cast and the later casts would have had completely different takes on him given the passage of time.

Hell, there's enough of the cast doing impressions over the years to do a whole montage.

I know they are older and a bit more vocally challenged but the two Paul;s need to think about packing it in. And I am a fan of both. This a one of my fave Simon songs but it's sad. Why doesn't Tony Bennett sound like a dying breed yet?  Maybe because TB was an actual vocalist. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed the show but would have liked it better if it had been a two hour special.  There was a lot I would have cut, e.g, Miley and Kanye.

I know they are older and a bit more vocally challenged but the two Paul;s need to think about packing it in. And I am a fan of both. This a one of my fave Simon songs but it's sad. Why doesn't Tony Bennett sound like a dying breed yet?  Maybe because TB was an actual vocalist. 

I thought it was just me but I heard it too.  Paul Simon wasn't quite as bad as Paul McCartney though but I still love them both.

• Love 4

Just saw Chevy Chase on the West Coast feed, and I had seen him briefly in the pre-show interview.  I hope he is all right. Garrett Morris doing the captioning for the hard of hearing?  Still looks and sounds like he did in 1975! 

• Love 2

Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman both looked great.  Quite a feat to get from 1975 to here and be in such good shape -- I'll add Garrett Morris to that, also, although I've only seen him do the captioning so far. 

• Love 1