Type keyword(s) to search

All Episode/Season Talk - Favorites, Questions, "Does anyone remember..."

I recently gave this show another chance and am enjoying it a lot more than i had expected to! Some fun questions for those as eager to procrastinate as I am:

How would you rank the seasons from favorite to least favorite? No ties allowed, of course 🙂

What are your 5-10 all-time favorite episodes? Least favorite?

My favorite episode is Caught in the Act. The Dunphy kids absolutely nail every scene. The misunderstandings in the dialogue also are mostly all hits for me, especially with Gloria and Phil. Season 2 was my favorite age for all the kids.

"Did you notice dad had the look on his face like when he smells a new car?"

Ha!

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

My favorite episode is Caught in the Act. The Dunphy kids absolutely nail every scene. The misunderstandings in the dialogue also are mostly all hits for me, especially with Gloria and Phil. Season 2 was my favorite age for all the kids.

"Did you notice dad had the look on his face like when he smells a new car?"

Ha!

That's one of my faves. I really miss younger Luke.

Another fave was just on our local station. It's the one where Cam and Mitchell are trying to decide on a guardian for Lily if they die. One of the other storylines is Claire taking Luke to a psychiatrist because she's afraid he's going to turn out like Phil. I love Phil's dialogue out in the doctor's parking lot. He's hurt and being snarky about what Claire said and one of the things he says is "where did everyone go? Oh wait, just a blink". ~lol~

No new Halloween eppy this season? BOO HISS. That was always one of my favs. This blows

Are you sure?  I could have sworn I saw previews advertising Halloween eppys for all 4 (Middle, Goldbergs, Modern Family, Black-ish) Wednesday comedies.

• Love 1

I really would like to know why there was no Halloween story this year. If it was because the writers couldn't think of a story, I say: "Boo" to them. I know you can't always find a story, but when its been on every year. Get cracking, its your job to do it. Of course since they have spent so much time making Claire look so incompetent the last few episodes. They probably didn't want to show her in her element with Halloween, but also missed opportunities with Joe and Lily and Luke being on the verge of not wanting to do it since he's driving now. I could have wrote the episode.

I'm shocked there's no Halloween show!!  That's Claire's 'Thing'!  Were the writers too lazy to come up with something or what?  My favorite show is biting the dust it seems...

Amazon has PaleyFest videos where the cast and crew of some TV shows discuss the show with a moderator, and take audience questions.  I recently watched the one for Modern Family. The producer or director (not sure which one) said they wanted the show to end while it was still on top - in his words, he did not want to "limp out".

Well...he better find some crutches because limping they are....

• Love 2

While I've enjoyed this season of MF more than the previous two(-ish). There's no way it's going out "On Top." From a quality perspective. It may from a ratings perspective, but it's just run out of runway. And the Network will run it until it's too expensive to produce. Such is the fate of successful comedies, especially as time marches on and they need to get more ambitious.

• Love 1

Just read that next week is a re-run also. The next new episode will be on November 11. I didn't watch because I saw it last year, then this morning I start seeing a kerfuffle about the portrayal of mental illness. I seem to remember something like this last year, Their motto must be any publicity is better than none. 

Maybe it is time to retire this show. Such a shame.

• Love 1

My favorite episode is Caught in the Act. The Dunphy kids absolutely nail every scene.

Alex scrubbing her eyes and Haley marching around freaking out is NEVER not funny. And if I want to piss my wife off, I put on a bad Columbian accent and tell her that she is a bossy control freak.

By the way, is there any scene in the Dunphy master bedroom that is not funny? This one, the one with the hot firemen, the one when Clive and Julianne gets Clair sent to the emergency room and then Phil gets a nosebleed.....

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1

Just read that next week is a re-run also. The next new episode will be on November 11. I didn't watch because I saw it last year,

The Halloween episodes tend to be every two years instead of an annual thing like other shows.

My favorite is between the episode where Cam and Mitchell are going to get the baby they've adopted and stumble on a real life telenovella, and the episode where Joe is being baptized and they do a "Godfather" parody.

Edited by VCRTracking

I love the one where Lily starts running toward the school and slams into the brick post falling flat. Yes it seems mean because she's a child and I'm not normally a huge fan of physical comedy but this scene makes me LOL every single time. And I love Lily so it's not a secret mean-spirited laugh at her character or anything, it's a genuine belly laugh.

• Love 2

We just caught up with the first two episodes of the current season, and felt they were a textbook example of a show that has jumped the shark.

We used to love MF and watched it in real time most weeks. But now the characters, who once were comically exaggerated versions of real people, don't resemble real people at all. The jokes seem desperate. A few of Julie Bowen's line readings still made me laugh, but that's about it.

If there are episodes in Season 7 that represent a return to form, I'll be delighted to hear about them and we'll watch those.

• Love 1

Favorite Episode? Season 1 Ep, 16- "Fears" because it showed a great depth to Phil who had a genuine claustrophobia re that crawl space and after his fails trying to find the 'treasure' , finally had NO choice but to go in there to rescue Luke from being stuck and burned by the pipes. True, it was a bit much he'd sent his son to do a 'man's job' instead of going in there in the first place. However; I liked how he was shown forcing himself to face that fear to rescue his son even if he never wanted to get into a tight, windowless spot again AND he stayed in character as a goofy but not useless dad.

Least Fave ? Season Four Ep. 21- "Career Day" Not only have I always considered Phil's rival to be too snotty and arrogant to be humorous but I hated that when he interrupted and disrupted Phil's pretaped 'show and tell' , the teacher made NO attempt to tell him to wait his turn or stop. It would have been one thing had the teacher been suddenly called out of the classroom for something and  at THAT point Gill  blew Phil's presentation out of the water but I thought it was incredibly lame and unrealistic that a teacher would just let one parent overwhelm another's presentation without making even the slightest objection.

• Love 1

We just caught up with the first two episodes of the current season, and felt they were a textbook example of a show that has jumped the shark.

We used to love MF and watched it in real time most weeks. But now the characters, who once were comically exaggerated versions of real people, don't resemble real people at all. The jokes seem desperate. A few of Julie Bowen's line readings still made me laugh, but that's about it.

If there are episodes in Season 7 that represent a return to form, I'll be delighted to hear about them and we'll watch those.

I have had some jumping the shark feelings too. Then I recall that Happy Days was the original jump the shark show with a plot that literally jumped the shark hee;   (IIRC)

And they lasted 5 years, 5 more seasons,  after the shark :)

I love any eppy that it Lily-centric. I find little, dry Lily hilarious. I also love Cam and his OTT-ness.

Edited by ari333

The one with Lily's Princess Party was on the other night and I laughed really hard even knowing every line, especially "You just made a little girl very happy......I can see that".Something about Cam as a clown is just perfect so every Fizbo appearance cracks me up.

Throw in DeeDee and Claire and Mitch teaming up against their parents and it is a damn strong episode.

Ugh, Claire, Mitchell, and Cam (especially Cam) were so annoying in last night's repeat (Gril, Interrupted). Boo hoo, they repaid a debt that they didn't have to repay. How unfair! And Cam looked ridiculous, of course. Ugh. Good thing daddy gave them "their" money back. So, yeah, not a fan of some of this one.

Poor Phil. LOL

For me it's not even close: "Goodnight Gracie", when they travel to FL for Phil's mother's funeral.

Ty's finest moment -- the speech to Annie (a well-cast Anita Gillette) about his mother variously sending him soup/a sweater/a sweater with a whale on it..."I mean, who does that??"  

I think of my dad, and how I could give a similar speech (to accommodate the "to go" slice of pumpkin pie he once sent home with me, he cut two little Dixie cups to size to elevate the paper plate over the whipped cream so it would stay "nice") ("I mean, who does that?") and I cry every time.

And there's Alex's vo at the service, and a weeping Haley embracing her as they watch the fireworks...perfect.

• Love 1

I really enjoy Modern Family. The characters are well-crafted. (The adults are perfect.)

I think, however, that Cam and Mitchell talk about being a gay couple too often. They are just a regular married couple. Maybe the show runners want to emphasize the gay aspect, but I think it would be cool if they didn't. 

• Love 2

Just watching the ep where Haley gets arrested, Cam rushes Luke to the hospital, and DeDe discovers that Gloria's preggers.  

Everyone has a nice moment, but Shelley Long steals it.  Dede shows up, complaining of a "telescoping uterus", but the moment she realizes Jay's going to be a dad again, she bursts out laughing, gasping one of the series' best lines:

"I think my uterus just fixed itself!"

Edited by voiceover
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Just watching the ep where Haley gets arrested, Cam rushes Luke to the hospital, and DeDe discovers that Gloria's preggers

There was no bad episode with DeDe until Crazy Train, especially her first appearance in The Incident-too many funny lines to even begin quoting since it will be basically the entire episode. Also, there is almost never a bad Fizbo appearance other than the one where Lily starts beating him up. Same with Clive and Julianna and Javier also brings out the best in the writers. However, in all of those cases, a little goes a long way-once a season is more than enough.

Lots of my favorites are listed here, but I didn't see this gem mentioned:

The ep when Clare runs for elected office.  The family coaches her so much on her flaws, that when she actually debates it is a shit-show (oddball arm movements, finger-pointing, etc.)  Then Phil stands up to defend her, of course he says something inappropriate, and the auto tuned video of him goes viral.  I'm laughing just thinking about it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I haven't seen every episode, but I'm currently catching up on the series and surprising myself with how much I love it. Weirdly enough, my favorite season seems to be S4. It's just such a great blend of humor and heart for me. Claire in particular seems a little less shrill and more relatable to me this season---or maybe I've finally just gotten used to her?! It's funny, because Claire can drive me nuts, but then suddenly in a given scene or episode she'll resonate with me more than any other character. 

I also really like S2 and what I've seen of S6...clearly I have a thing for the even numbered seasons of this show :) 

I love doing lists of favorite episodes but am already having trouble narrowing mine down, so I'll be back when and if I manage to pick a top 10! Meanwhile, I would love to hear other people's top 10 episodes and how you would rank the seasons. 

Edited by amensisterfriend

I don't have a favorite season.  I watch the show in reruns and they aren't aired in order.  I do love "Coal Digger" and Cam's "do you, Mitchell, do you?"  "Yard Sale" with Jay saying "you're wearing a $10,000 watch and arguing over an ashtray.  Get out of my yard."  "Regrets Only" with the simultaneous subplots of Mitchell regretting mailing the invitations, Jay regretting buying Gloria a karaoke machine, and Phil and the wedge salad.

• Love 2

"Schooled": two of my favorite sls, all in one ep:

Lily's 1st day at kindergarten.  Cam threatening Conner ("I will run you up the flagpole and let the crows peck out your eyes!" -- even better when Eric mimes it afterwards), the back & forth snark between Cam & Pam (where's the continuity guy who missed that Wendy M-C's recurring character had the same name as his sister): "You have dainty little hands like your daughter." "You have boots like my dad."

Haley's first day on campus: Funny until the end, when I tear up every time at the phone call ("I'll probably need some more condoms..." "I'm sending you CareBear sheets!"), then the dam bursts when Haley stands up, revealing that she's wearing her dad's "Haley Dunphy Moving Company" tee.

Both sequences: just perfect.

• Love 3

Watching "Lifetime Supply"...another reminder that Benjamin Bratt's Javier is pure gold in every appearance ("[Golf] is for old men...and women who like other women.")

Adorable!  A pig, of course, but adorable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Some of my favorites are the Haley-Andy eps, especially the one where Claire and Phil assume Haley and Andy are having sex. And the one where Andy's in the hospital but not really sleeping and hears Haley profess her love ... I miss Andy, and I'm especially sad about the fact that Haley will never be Haley Bailey. 

• Love 7

I just caught a repeat of the two episodes for Mitch and Cam's wedding and I love them! The first one isn't as strong as the second, but both are great episodes. Claire's dress getting ruined over and over, Sal being "four months pregnant" and her failed intervention, Lily being starving and neither Mitch or Cam are paying attention and then getting caught on the dry cleaning rack, Pepper trying to convince that other bride to run again and his freakout when a plant isn't facing the exact right way, Phil being ready to officiate and even the Haley and Andy stuff really works for me here. My favourite moments are when Jay is at the club announcing to people there that his son is getting married and when he walks Mitch down the aisle. I have seen that episode four or five times and that still makes me cry.

Also, I love the brief exchange at the beginning when Lily asks Mitch what's happening with her hair and he answers that "Daddy is going to do it up with flowers" and she urgently clarifies "Other daddy?" I don't think we get as much Lily and Mitch together without Cam as I would like and do love their vibe.

• Love 1
(edited)

Phil being ready to officiate

You mean the Right Reverend Philip Humphrey Dunphy!

Not sure why but I don't care for any eps with Dylan. 

I was already to agree that I don't really like Dylan episodes and a little Dylan goes a long way and  then I realized that he is in several of my all-time favorites like The Incident "understanding of gay dudes and crazy people and hot foreign chicks"), Fizbo, Bringing up Baby and Montana ("Dylan, where are you.....I'm in Montana"), so I guess I will stick with the "a little Dylan goes a long way".

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1

I love the episode in season 4, when Lily and Mitch get married and Cam goes crazy jealous and starts accidentally injuring Lily, and Haley brings the jeans designer home and overhears Phil ranting about how she's his little girl and the old jeans dude isn't good enough. Maybe Joe is born this episode too?

• Love 3

During the "Croctopus" ep, when Phil whines, 

"Why do I have to see a French movie? I didn't do anything wrong!"

Amen.  And I say that as a lover of European cinema!  But a lot of mediocre crap gets covered up by subtitles.  So to speak.

• Love 2
On 3/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, Literata said:

Some of my favorites are the Haley-Andy eps, especially the one where Claire and Phil assume Haley and Andy are having sex. And the one where Andy's in the hospital but not really sleeping and hears Haley profess her love ... I miss Andy, and I'm especially sad about the fact that Haley will never be Haley Bailey. 

I love all the Andy scenes!  I want the character to come back as I think the characters of Hailey and Andy have chemistry.  I really felt for Hailey when she saw Andy proposing to Beth and was so upset.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:44 AM, voiceover said:

During the "Croctopus" ep, when Phil whines, 

"Why do I have to see a French movie? I didn't do anything wrong!"

Amen.  And I say that as a lover of European cinema!  But a lot of mediocre crap gets covered up by subtitles.  So to speak.

I love that line too!!  My man says that to me when I want to watch anything on the Hallmark channel.  

Love Mitch and Cam but I REALLY love Cam.  His Fizbo stuff never gets old to me and he is, to me the most interesting character.  I love when Mitch gave a takedown of Jay when his and Cam's wedding got postponed over and over and he just said, "Look dad, if this had been Claire you would have been all over it with your country club."  

• Love 2

The pilot was on the other night. I have seen it approximately 1 billion times and I laugh out loud every time. The characters were so well developed from the beginning and they have stayed consistent with them...although Gloria's accent was much less annoying in this one. Writing was just spot on and Phil, don't you ever change. And the Lion King bit will never not be funny.

His Fizbo stuff never gets old to me

They have done a good job not overdoing Fizbo-I think we get him once a season and a little goes a long way, especially since the most recent one wasn't all that funny, especially compared with him at Luke's birthday party or at Lily's

• Love 4

Flipping channels and heard "yeah right, last time she came the refrigerator magnets went into a penta...grandma..." and I knew I was sucked in for the next 28 minutes. Funniest episode ever and maybe one of the funniest episode of any sitcom.

"Let's start at the beginning...what's wrong with Spencer's arm."

"That is very revealing".."Well that's my parenting style"..."No I meant your blouse".

"Grandma got wasted...it was funny...then it was gross"

"Nanna's strong"

"I got Gloria...I got Gloria".

"If I ever say no to that, I have a gun in the footlocker and don't be afraid to use it"

"D'you hear that Mitchell? Your Mom needs your help to make love to her new man, Chase; that's not weird, at all."

Just sooooo many great lines and this time I really, really noticed the facial expressions and even the acting/staging. Just a great, great episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AriAu said:

Flipping channels and heard "yeah right, last time she came the refrigerator magnets went into a penta...grandma..." and I knew I was sucked in for the next 28 minutes. Funniest episode ever and maybe one of the funniest episode of any sitcom.

"Let's start at the beginning...what's wrong with Spencer's arm."

"That is very revealing".."Well that's my parenting style"..."No I meant your blouse".

"Grandma got wasted...it was funny...then it was gross"

"Nanna's strong"

"I got Gloria...I got Gloria".

"If I ever say no to that, I have a gun in the footlocker and don't be afraid to use it"

"D'you hear that Mitchell? Your Mom needs your help to make love to her new man, Chase; that's not weird, at all."

Just sooooo many great lines and this time I really, really noticed the facial expressions and even the acting/staging. Just a great, great episode.

Which episode?  I have most of them saved, but this doesn't ring a bell.

• Love 1