Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Rite Of Passage

• Start Topic

He's baaaaaack. Fiona's true addiction and the thing that will bring her ruin.

The Ian/Mickey stuff was beautiful and tragic.

Kevin and Veronica stuff was also good to.

The Frank and Sammy stuff was a waste and I don't always hate them when they have actual useful or interesting stories but this one was boring compared to the rest.

Mickey is amazing....though I didn't love him bullying Lip.

Also I wish Mickey would have done more research on bipolar disorder. To threaten Ian like that was so irresponsible. Why can't they just start him on meds and therapy. To say he needs to go to a psych ward is just so extreme.

I like Gus a lot. I want to find myself a man like him! So it seems stupid that Fiona would throw that away for Steve.

I'm not liking the Debbie fighting storyline.

Overall a good episode. Emmy does such a great job.

He's baaaaaack. Fiona's true addiction and the thing that will bring her ruin.

Was Steve ever really bad for Fiona?

Noel Fisher killed this ep. I'm glad that Ian/Mickey are getting an actual story line now.

Frank/Sammi are so annoying. Frank and his shitty behavior grew old years ago. And Sammi is the worst. I hate how much air time she is getting from the other characters I actually care about.

Of course Jimmy comes back when Fi is married. How predictable.

• Love 2
Was Steve ever really bad for Fiona?

This. Steve is without question a hot mess and especially to himself but honestly, Fiona was at her most responsible and sane, while she was with him. When he left the first time at the end of S1, she spent the time whoring around with that loser, drug addict friend she had for a minute before settling on sort of relationship with a guy who pretty much looked like Steve.

And well we all saw the mess she was last season in between the screwing the loser, drug addict brother of the guy she was dating who was also her boss and then almost accidentally killing poor Liam. Seems to me, Fiona is more than capable of self destructing all on her own, with or without Steve. Hell if anything and it is ironic considering the mess Steve is, he seemed to bring some stability to her life everytime they were together. 

• Love 1

Was never really big on Fiona/Steve/Jimmy but I admit I did jump when we saw him at the end of the episode.    This whole thing is going to cause Fiona to be her MOST Fiona and I've actually started to kind of like her with Gus.   Felt bad for the friend of hers from the Diner and I'd imagine that's very hard to see and discouraging to know about when your in the process of rebuilding your life, someone is rebuilding their's right next to you and they don't make it.  (I don't know if I'm putting it into words that make sense but for some reason that part of Fiona's story was very effective this evening)

I LOVE Mickey when he causes trouble for Lip.  Sicking Kenyetta on him last season and tonight pressuring Lip into coming with him and his brothers and then hearing the cops come, they leave Lip LOCKED out to get caught.  Cold.   Though I like when we are reminded of Mickey's villainous roots.  The character was introduced as an antagonist.  He's fallen in love with Ian but he'll still sucker punch or hit below the belt ANY other Gallagher.   Though this is the first episode that made me wonder if there isn't a little jealousy towards Lip on Mickey's part.   The look on Mickey's face when they stopped firing the guns, Noel Fisher is DAMN good.   I'd love to see more of Mickey with his brothers.

Cracked up at Mickey shooting down Sammy.   Loathe Frank.   

Debbie.........The girl........No words.

• Love 1

True story. I silently screamed at the end of this episode with Jimmy's triumphant return. These two did not have an epic love. Yuck.

I hope the gun story line doesn't go any further. I was worried that Lip just dropped the gun in front of the store. His fingerprints could be all over that gun. I hope they just drop it. Lip certainly seemed to be transitioning at the end of the episode with his polo shirt and khaki shorts.

• Love 2

When he left the first time at the end of S1, she spent the time whoring around with that loser, drug addict friend she had for a minute before settling on sort of relationship with a guy who pretty much looked like Steve.

Fiona has never "whored around."  Jasmine encouraged her to prostitute herself, but Fiona never did that.  Everyone she dated or slept with in season two, she dated/slept with because she wanted to--and she didn't take things from the guys she was with, either.  She has always drawn a hard line against any type of selling herself, and even things like that job she had in season one (working as a waitress for a Hooters-type sports bar in a skimpy outfit) really, really bothered her.  Hell, even with JimmySteve himself, when he did things like buy her a washing machine out of nowhere--she got really upset with him. 

• Love 7

Jimmy was good for Fiona for a period. Then he bailed on her without a word just when she needed him most - twice. The Gallaghers will scam when they need to, but none of them are afraid of actual work when it's available. Jimmy's addiction is being a criminal and a con artist. He's already shown how much it kills him to do an honest day's work. He's the last thing she needs.

I was worried that Lip just dropped the gun in front of the store. His fingerprints could be all over that gun. I hope they just drop it. Lip certainly seemed to be transitioning at the end of the episode with his polo shirt and khaki shorts.

I was worried about that too because if he's in the system (and he should be since he was arrested a few seasons ago), then they would have a match if they were able to get any fingerprints from the gun. Even if they ended up showing that none of the bullets that hit the store came from that gun, he would still have to explain how his fingerprints got on a stolen AK (heh, I'm assuming that Mickey's guns are stolen).

But I am glad that the incident at the coffee place made Lip realize that he needs to get the hell out of there to avoid getting sucked into stupid crap like that again. He finally realizes that he has a future and that he shouldn't screw it up by doing dumb things like that.

This week we got to see a lot of the old Mickey. Not only did he leave Lip standing in the middle of the street but he kicked the crap out of Ian's coworker for suggesting that he would cheat on Lip. That's the Mickey I remember who would punch anyone who looked at him sideways. But I also love seeing how he has developed over the years. This week two different friends of his made jokes about him being gay (well the second one was not really a joke directed specifically at him) and instead of losing his temper, Mickey just blew it off both times.

While I agree that his approach with Ian was as wrong as possible, I'm glad that Mickey finally admitted that Ian is sick and beyond his help. He was in denial for so long, insisting that he and Mandie could handle Ian on their own, not wanting to involve doctors or even the rest of Ian's family. Just realizing that Ian needs help and going to Lip was a huge step forward.

I wish Sammi would go away. Just anywhere that's offscreen. I feel bad that Chuckie is stuck with her as a mom, but I can only take him in small doses and I don't want Fiona burdened with another kid to take care of so Chuckie can leave with Sammi too.

Frank insinuating himself into his donor's family was gross on every level. Frank is willing to do all of that just to have a place to sleep. Honestly, I wish Sammi would leave and take Frank with her. Interesting that Debbie is the one who is nicest to Sammi. I think she feels for her a little bit because Debbie herself only recently lost her Frank worship so she remembers how disappointing it is.

I was really hoping Jimmy wouldn't reappear until the very end of the season. I don't need to see him trying to get back together with Fiona for several episodes.

I liked that the questions Fiona's boss asked about Gus sounded like rational questions to ask a person who married someone she has known for two weeks (instead of veering into crazy/jealous territory). I am all for being impulsive but how about taking a spontaneous vacation instead of making a legal lifelong commitment to someone you haven't even been screwing for a whole month?

• Love 3

I was really hoping Jimmy wouldn't reappear until the very end of the season. I don't need to see him trying to get back together with Fiona for several episodes.

Weirdly, I was kind of glad to see him!  And I've never really liked his character and I was dreading him coming back after that glimpse in the 4th season finale.  But this week, I don't know, he kind of made me nostalgic for the early seasons of Shameless.  Also, I liked the scenes from next week's episodes with him and Fiona.  It felt like old times (in a good way).  Emmy Rossum and Justin Chatwin do have good chemistry together.

I actually really enjoyed this episode overall which was such a relief after the last 3 eps.  The Mickey and Ian stuff was so upsetting but really well done (and Noel Fisher and Cameron Monaghan were knocking it out of the park in that last scene).  I also really liked Jackie's storyline.  And the stuff with Fiona finding her and then being at the hospital--I thought it was really well-done how it all echoed Fiona's experiences with her own mother, but this parallel was left unspoken.  Emmy Rossum was terrific in those scenes, and for the first time Sean felt like more than "one of Fiona's 18 love interests this season."

Edited by Blue Castle
  • Love 1

I think the other thing we were supposed to get from the whole Sean/Jackie/OD situation is the show telling us that that they are drug addicts but Fiona is not (as she kept saying after she got arrested) because she had no interest in seeing if there was anything left in the syringe. But what I hope she took away from Jackie's OD is that Fiona too has self destructive tendencies and that she sometimes sabotages herself just when she's on the verge of breaking through to something.

I was afraid that after Sean said he couldn't date Fiona, things would turn contentious or she would quit but I like that he is acting as a friend with her without overstepping any boundaries. He is concerned about her but he is not acting resentful that she moved on and has started a relationship with someone else.

• Love 1

The show needs to decide if Jimmy/steve is back for good or not. if he disappears again only to reappear again, I am going to be 100% done with this show. 

The episode show was okay. I think i am losing interest in the show which makes me sad. something is just off about this season. very aggravating to me

Sammi hitting on Mickey was weird. is she the only one in the southside who has no idea that he is gay? everyone else seems to be up to date. 

Ugh I knew JimmySteve would be back but I was hoping it would be in the season finale or something. That he didn't show his face until he heard Fiona got married suggests he hasn't changed for the better. I don't feel I know Gus well enough to say he's good for Fiona but I do know that this time she seems to have genuinely moved on whereas before it felt like she was on the rebound.

I'm glad Mickey and Ian are getting more screen time but I'm not happy with how Ian's probable bipolar disorder is being handled. The In-This-Together-Gallaghers of earlier seasons would never be this uninvolved, they'd do everything they could to make sure their brother doesn't become Monica.  

• Love 1

I suppose it's not a spoiler to point out that Fiona is going to break Gus' heart and be with Jimmy again.

I think I would kill Mickey if I were Lip. He's got to be smart enough to find a way to do it without being caught. This episode truly reminded us that Mickey is the dirtiest white boy in America.

I think it is telling that Jimmy/Steve comes back when Sean talks about Heroin and just wanting to do it again. Fiona isn't a drug addict her addiction is pussy men and chaos and screwing up good things. Jimmy/Steve is part of/ the start of her addiction.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

"I'm glad Mickey and Ian are getting more screen time but I'm not happy with how Ian's probable bipolar disorder is being handled. The In-This-Together-Gallaghers of earlier seasons would never be this uninvolved, they'd do everything they could to make sure their brother doesn't become Monica."

^ the quote feature is being a pain for me and not cooperating. The part in bold must be why i find myself losing interest in the show. the family just isn't the family unit i came to know and love in the first few seasons. 

There is a preview clip also that annoyed me. Fiona basically forgets about Ian when Jimmy shows up. 

Fiona sucks as a guardian

• Love 2

The In-This-Together-Gallaghers of earlier seasons would never be this uninvolved, they'd do everything they could to make sure their brother doesn't become Monica

This has never really applied to Ian. I feel like they (both the writers and his siblings) never give Ian the attention he deserves. And dont get me started on that preview clip. They talk about Ian for like 2 seconds and then they are all about JImmySteve. Like your brother, who is mentally unstable, took off with a baby surely that is more important than JimmySteve. 

• Love 2

She really does! Fiona has no clue what the hell Debbie and Carl are up to. When is the last time she even looked in Liam's direction, let alone spent any time with him. Who the hell gets married just like that when they technically have 3 kids at home waiting for them? Can't believe she's not even checking on Ian... Even if Mickey is telling her he's handling everything, she should still be checking on him.

Mickey is so in love with Ian, it breaks my heart. He won't even consider cheating on Ian and was genuinely upset Ian had unprotected sex. Makes me worried how this is all going to end up... like the next level of his tough love will force him to break-up with Ian. Can't stand to think of them apart. :-(

• Love 1
But I am glad that the incident at the coffee place made Lip realize that he needs to get the hell out of there to avoid getting sucked into stupid crap like that again. He finally realizes that he has a future and that he shouldn't screw it up by doing dumb things like that.

This plus I think seeing Amanda's dad start to come around on him a bit, as well.  Lip's always had a chip on his shoulder about where he came from and how he's convinced everyone looks down on him and that he's started to figure out maybe they won't always.  He said once the only way people can get money is to be born with it or steal it, I think he's finally starting to accept the idea that you can earn it.

I think the other thing we were supposed to get from the whole Sean/Jackie/OD situation is the show telling us that that they are drug addicts but Fiona is not (as she kept saying after she got arrested) because she had no interest in seeing if there was anything left in the syringe. But what I hope she took away from Jackie's OD is that Fiona too has self destructive tendencies and that she sometimes sabotages herself just when she's on the verge of breaking through to something.

I also kinda wondered if it gives her a little greater insight into Frank and/or Monica.  I mean Frank's absolutely disgusting but at the same time his issues are the same as Sean's issue, it's just that Frank has hit rock bottom and kept digging.  After everything that happened to him last season most people would realise that it's a sign that he needs to change.  Frank however took the fact that he was still alive at the end of it all as proof he is unbreakable.  (or almost unbreakable he has cut back on the drinking)

Kevin and V's story I find to be well done.  They've done a great job at not making V into the villain of the piece.  I mean yes the kids come first, to a point, but Kevin has them first second third fourth fifth and V is pretty much an afterthought.  She had a point they were woken by the noise they didn't particularly need anything right then and there.  (though not a parent could be wrong)

• Love 5

She really does! Fiona has no clue what the hell Debbie and Carl are up to. When is the last time she even looked in Liam's direction, let alone spent any time with him. Who the hell gets married just like that when they technically have 3 kids at home waiting for them? Can't believe she's not even checking on Ian... Even if Mickey is telling her he's handling everything, she should still be checking on him.

Mickey is so in love with Ian, it breaks my heart. He won't even consider cheating on Ian and was genuinely upset Ian had unprotected sex. Makes me worried how this is all going to end up... like the next level of his tough love will force him to break-up with Ian. Can't stand to think of them apart. :-(

As much as Fiona is trying to be differently, she's still a product of what she grew up in so leaving Debbie, Carl and Liam alone to fend for themselves is repeating old  parental patterns.

As for Ian, Fiona again knows  from expericence w/Monica what she can and cannot do to help him is he doesn't want it. I guess

Same way I'm sure if Lip had a drug/alcohol addiction, Fiona knows from Frank there is nothing she can do about it until they want help or to change.

On a humorous note, since Mickey is a size queen, I don't think he'll easily give up losing his 9 inches.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

I wasn't equating the term to being a prostitute. I'm well aware Fiona has never been a prostitute.

What on earth could you have meant?  Whore means prostitute.  What other word would you 'equate' whore with?  Did you mean to say that Fiona is promiscuous?  

• Love 2

Could Fiona have Ian committed since he's a minor in her care? He's under 18, right? It's really hard to commit an adult, but he's a juvenile.

Proud of Lip. He could be really successful: he's got book smarts and street smarts and he's making connections (Amanda's dad). That combination will serve him really well if he stays out of his own way.

I find the Kev and V argument fascinating. I have always believed that there are parents who regret it, and I think that's what we're seeing with V. This is more than post-partum, I think.

I think there are a few states that don't allow parents to involuntarily commit their child without some sort of doctor or court referral.  But for the most part, yes, as a guardian Fiona can have him committed.  If he hadn't have kidnapped the baby, I would have been quite angry with the show if they went straight to psych ward from typical manic behavior.  The first step is almost always outpatient treatment.  Now that he's kidnapped a baby, all bets are off.  He can be involuntarily committed whether or not his guardian agrees.  

Also I wish Mickey would have done more research on bipolar disorder. To threaten Ian like that was so irresponsible. Why can't they just start him on meds and therapy. To say he needs to go to a psych ward is just so extreme.

I don't think he'd take the meds in his current state of denial. Even if you force him, you can't very well control him for hours to make sure he doesn't throw them back up.

A psychiatric clinic seems like a good idea. There he can be properly assesed and medicated. It's not like they'll keep him there forever. Two weeks tops, I'd say.

• Love 1

Mickey's face when Ian told him about the porno was some great acting. He looked like he was crushed, but trying not to show it. Fantastic job.

I liked Kev and Veronica's plot, and the scene with him trying to chat up the mother at the playground was hilarious. He such a lovable lummox.

Not bothered about Jimmy/Steve. I hope Fiona realises she doesn't need him and tells him to go.

I rolled my eyes in the scene where Fiona was reassuring Jackie and saying how she'd been clean for 6 months and she was going to get her daughter back. I hoped Shameless was above such obvious foreshadowing. I'm sad that I was wrong.

"I'm glad Mickey and Ian are getting more screen time but I'm not happy with how Ian's probable bipolar disorder is being handled. The In-This-Together-Gallaghers of earlier seasons would never be this uninvolved, they'd do everything they could to make sure their brother doesn't become Monica."

^ the quote feature is being a pain for me and not cooperating. The part in bold must be why i find myself losing interest in the show. the family just isn't the family unit i came to know and love in the first few seasons. 

There is a preview clip also that annoyed me. Fiona basically forgets about Ian when Jimmy shows up. 

The writers suck at remembering that Fiona is/was a guardian, but you're right. Part of what made the show so good in the first couple of seasons was that Fiona WAS focused on making life better for her siblings than it had been for her. The introduction os Stimmy at the very beginning meant that the show could have its cake and eat it too by allowing Fiona a sex life (with the requisite cable scenes) and reinforcing how invested she was in accomplishing that goal. With Stimmy's removal they didn't know how to get Fiona naked while still being hawkish about the kids, so the storylines continued to separate her from her stated purpose.

I like Gus, and I like his relationship with Fiona, but it should be destined to fail, not because of Stimmy's arrival, but because she does, in fact, have a bunch of kids who she fought to have under her supervision. The Fiona of seasons 1 & 2 would not be so reckless/selfish, but, then again, she wouldn't have behaved that way the last couple of seasons' Fiona did. And, consequently, several of the siblings' storylines would not be happening.

I'm hoping Lip's decision at the end of the episode is one step closer to a future that his girlfriend's father implied was attainable for him. Between the hazardous job and the callous way his boss treated him to the vandalism and abandonment with Mickey Lip got a decent reminder of what he'd be leaving behind, which is not much.

I'm not much of a Mickey fan, so my takeaway from the episode was being angry with him for beating up the guy who hit on him. Not cool.

I hate Frank's storyline, but that's par for the course. Ditto Debbie and Carl and the trailer daughter.

Steve Howey looks SO much hotter with the shaved head! Not enjoying the storyline there either. V was too maternal with the Gallaghers through several seasons to be so disinterested in her own kids. Kev goes way overboard, but if she matched him a bit, he might not overcompensate so much. They always worked better as a team.

What on earth could you have meant?  Whore means prostitute.  What other word would you 'equate' whore with?  Did you mean to say that Fiona is promiscuous?  

I don't personally use it because I don't use sex work as an insult and the term whore is extremely problematic and I don't slut shame women for having a lot of partners, but yes, "whoring around" is a fairly common slang for sleeping around without literally meaning being paid for it.  At least where I'm from.

I liked Jimmy and Jimmy/Fiona a lot in the beginning.  He was always a fuck up, but so is literally everyone else on the show.  I think the problem was as time went on most of the other characters were growing, in some way or another, and Jimmy just kept getting worse and worse and it started to drag down the show.  I don't mind him being back in theory, whether it's just for an ep or two to get closure (which is what I suspect, since I think Fiona is going to pretty quickly come to the conclusion he doesn't fit in her life any more) or for longer, but how he's used is going to be tricky.  We don't really know what's going on with him but sending his lady friend to stalk/pay off Fiona from afar certainly doesn't seem to bode well for him having grown or matured in his absence.  And if he hasn't, I fear he's just going to drag things down again.  Still, I can't help it, I like their chemistry, so fingers crossed that whatever they have planned it's watchable.

My heart is breaking for Kevin and Vee, it really is.  I don't think either of them is completely right or completely wrong.  They're on two ends of the extreme and neither of them can figure out how to meet in the middle.  I lean towards blaming Kev slightly more, mostly because it's not like Veronica was leaving them alone or being abusive, she just wasn't invested to the same level Kev was, and she made her own personal needs clear to Kevin which he basically ignored.  I don't think Vee hates the kids.  I don't think it's even a lack of love necessarily.  I think she was having a hard time adjusting to the huge change in their lives and instead of helping her Kev has been berating her for not instantly becoming a mother goddess and that conflict is breeding resentment.  I don't think walking out is the right decision, but I can understand the impulse.  She wants her husband to pay attention her and show her she still matters, herself as an individual not just as the mother of his children.  Heh, I guess after typing all that up I realize I more than lean towards blaming Kevin.  It's not that I don't understand his POV too, but I think he's been a lot more dismissive about what's going on and that makes it difficult to find a solution.

• Love 1

This episode might be my second favorite of the season, right after the season premiere. I really really liked this one, its almost like the writers saw my complaints I had last week, and tried to actually address them (almost, but I`ll get to that...) 

All the stuff with Ian and Mickey was great, and I am thrilled their story line has really started moving along. CM and NF are just killing it, I just love the hell out of all their scenes, separate and together. It hurts so good. And they were actually acting like a couple this week! I love that some of Mickeys relatives really don't seem to care that he`s gay. One of my favorite throw away lines was when during the coffee shooting scene, when his brother starts cussing about "faggy frappuccinos, then throwing out a quick "no offense little bro". Its kind of sweet, in a Shameless kind of way.

Also, can Lip and Mickey please get more scenes? Pretty please? They're both such snarky assholes around each other, it cracks me up. Yeah, Mickey was antagonizing Lip because he was pissed off about Ian possibly cheating, but he took so much pleasure in screwing with him! Speaking of Mickey...

Last week, I thought it was kind of weird and out of character that Mickey popped that pill he found in that luggage, as we have never really seen him doing hard drugs before, but with him snorting stuff this week while he was upset with Ian, I wonder if they are going to have Mickey start abusing drugs in an attempt to deal with all the crap he has to deal with. Which would be pretty damn depressing, but I could see that happening. I mean, he`s only in his late teens, and he has about a million things he has to worry about, plus he has never really dealt with all of the abuse he received from his father. It could be an interesting story, but it would be really depressing to see Ian finally start pulling it together, only for Mickey to start falling apart.

I have decided I like Sean. Not so much as a love interest, but as a friend/kind of mentor, who isn't afraid to call Fiona out on her crap, but is still a decent, caring guy. I really liked the Jackie story, both as its own little arc, but for the introspection it gave Fiona.

I still think Sammi eats up valuable screen time, but I loved her scene with Mickey, and then with Debbie, so maybe if they work her more into the main cast, she wont be so insufferable. Frank...I get why Franks still alive. While all the other characters get arcs, and development, and we can root for them to maybe get their lives together, even if its just a bit, Frank will always be a drunken, shameless asshole. But his hi jinks just take away from the other, most interesting stories, and while they usually can generate a few laughs, it just sticks out around all the more fulfilling, interesting stories.   

• Love 1

I also kinda wondered if it gives her a little greater insight into Frank and/or Monica.

I definitely thought so--especially with all the parallels made between Monica & Jackie in the episode. This was actually the first time I felt like Fiona's character and her history were really explored this season and I loved it.  I wish they'd do more stories like that one and less "let's give her a different love interest every week" type of thing.

• Love 1

I suppose Carl and Debbie's storylines are a natural progression of the environment they live in, but I'm not enjoying either one of them.

Lip probably doesn't have to worry about any fallout from his fingerprints on that AK. Unless it's useful for a particular plot point, the show often forgets about showing consequences from the actions of characters. No way the police respond that fast either.

That donor's mother must have been as horny as V to go after Frank. He just always looks like he smells bad (probably did, he had that bird poop all over him a day or two before). They can't keep Sammi's character straight. First she's screwing everybody, then she wants to take it slow with the junkyard guy, now she's in the Alibi wanting Mickey to bend her over a dumpster in the alley. Sheesh! She and Frank can keep on running down that street.

Was that poor forgotten Liam in the diner when Fiona was working? He even got a pat on the head from her! Maybe that's why Steve is coming back, to watch Liam. That's pretty much all I remember him doing when he was last staying at Fiona's house.

That donor's mother must have been as horny as V to go after Frank.

Less horny more angry and in pain. Her husband keeps treating Frank like he is their son going so far as to give him their sons clothes and room to stay. The wife does not approve and eventually it blows over and she has sex with him partly as a response to her husbands actions but also partly because she wants to feel close to her son one last time as well. It is sick and it is fucked up but I understand her response a lot more then her husbands.

I don't think season 1 & 2 Fiona was a different person. I think she was a person who never had love in her life or anyone to rely on. Then Jimmy/Steve comes along and makes her promises about love and commitment and for a girl like Fiona who never had that (not even from her own parents) that meant something. Then he disappears and comes back with a wife.... and well shit happens and just when things look good between them again he wants to leave for his dream;  a dream that she isn't sure she shares and before she has a chance to even think about it he just disappears. Of course Fiona is going to self destruct. I think Fiona is starting to be the person she once was but the thing is her "children" are teenagers they have their own lives and they aren't going to come to her for every little thing.

<---edited because my iPhone likes to make up words.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
He just always looks like he smells bad

Yes! This! I don't really care for Frank's scenes for a variety of reasons, but one of them is that I always think how horrid he must smell. Particularly the episodes in the summer, when he's just drenched in sweat, and all I can think about is how wretched the odor of sweat, booze, and filth must be. Never mind how his breath must be. It totally takes me out of the scenes sometimes. EWW. 

All the talk about Noel Fishers acting brings to mind one of the smaller moments I loved this episode. Before Ian comes in when Mickey is just sitting there staring at his son like the baby is time bomb about to explode. Which was a nice reminder that Mickeys indifference to his son isn't really about his paternity. Mickeys terrified of fatherhood not just because he has no idea how. Given how he was dragged up I almost can't blame him for thinking his son is better off with out him. Or worse Mickeys terrified he might become his father. It might be interesting to see how he reacts to what Ians done next episode

Edited by Emily Thrace
  • Love 2

All the talk about Noel Fishers acting brings to mind one of the smaller moments I loved this episode. Before Ian comes in when Mickey is just sitting there staring at his son like the baby is time bomb about to explode. Which was a nice reminder that Mickeys indifference to his son isn't really about his paternity. Mickeys terrified of fatherhood not just because he has no idea how. Given how he was dragged up I almost can't blame him for thinking his son is better off with out him. Or worse Mickeys terrified he might become his father. It might be interesting to see how he reacts to what Ians done next episode

In the clip above Mickey isn't looking at his baby. I'd love to see what scene you are talking about. Mickey is my favorite character.

I don’t understand how Sheila’s house was totally demolished in episode three or four of this season, but yet in episode five, it’s fine. Even Sammi’s dump of a trailer didn’t look like it suffered any damages. Of course it was hard to tell with that pig pen. Anybody catch that?