Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

A question for Saber:  When people mention King Charles now, does your brain add "Cavalier Spaniel"?  Does that happen for any of you doggo folks?

Actually, no, never. But now it will. So thanks PW.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6

From the S39 thread: 

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Just scrolled through his twitter a bit (until it popped up a box asking me to log in; I don't have an account so it only lets me go so far

You can hit log in and then a new box will pop up, where you can hit the X to close it and continue browsing. (I don't have an account either.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
3 minutes ago, dcalley said:

You can hit log in and then a new box will pop up, where you can hit the X to close it and continue browsing. (I don't have an account either.)

Oh, thank you!  I don't have an account, either, and did not know about that trick.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I totally forgot about Ken being on Call Me Kat Thursday night, even though I posted in the Media thread about it. I actually was going to watch since I like Ken more than I dislike Mayim. Karma got me back by Mayim being on a Saving Grace rerun later that night, she played the wife of a Hasidic Jew. She wore a total head covering and I wouldn't have recognized her if I hadn't seen her name in the credits.

• Like 2

It was kind of weird, but basically Ken got stuck next to her character on a flight back from Paris. She was so annoying he kept ordering alcohol (though I understand in real life he doesn't drink--it didn't feel like they thought the audience would know that though). There was a line about how he's a "minor celebrity" and then another about how he knows everything. Ken isn't in it past the opening scene though.

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I totally forgot about Ken being on Call Me Kat Thursday night

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

It was kind of weird, but basically Ken got stuck next to her character on a flight back from Paris. She was so annoying he kept ordering alcohol (though I understand in real life he doesn't drink--it didn't feel like they thought the audience would know that though). There was a line about how he's a "minor celebrity" and then another about how he knows everything. Ken isn't in it past the opening scene though.

He also comes back at the very end.

I felt like the intro was more of a plug for Jeopardy than a real part of the show, with Mayim’s character going on about how great a J! host Ken is. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, secnarf said:

He also comes back at the very end.

I felt like the intro was more of a plug for Jeopardy than a real part of the show, with Mayim’s character going on about how great a J! host Ken is. 

I thought the airplane scene with Ken was a response to the complaints on social media about Mayim’s annoying affects when she is hosting Jeopardy! (while also speaking to Ken’s being a know-it-all). The bit felt like an admission of just how annoying Mayim could potentially be, while pointing out that she’s really not that annoying on Jeopardy!

They had Ken drinking alcohol to deal with Mayim’s character of Kat annoyingly fan-obsessing over Ken, but Ken is a teetotaler IRL. I guess the joke was that IRL Mayim is not so annoying that she is driving Ken to drink? 
Eventually he gets up to find another seat away from her.

Ken did just fine as an actor, but the camera angles did not do him any favors.

I watched it on Hulu and fell asleep after Ken’s intro-scene bit, but woke up in time to see Ken cheerfully tossing an airplane neck pillow towards Kat (Mayim) during the end-tag/bumper scene.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They had Ken drinking alcohol to deal with Mayim’s character of Kat annoyingly fan-obsessing over Ken, but Ken is a teetotaler IRL. I guess the joke was that IRL Mayim is not so annoying that she is driving Ken to drink? 

I think they were trying to mark "Ken Jennings" as not really representing Ken's real life character. He already had a drink in his hand as he sat down so Kat didn't drive him to start drinking, only to demand more and more to drink. And although she started off by recognizing him (and making a joke where she told him to his face he was her favourite host but added as an aside to the audience "what else am I going to say?") what actually drove him away was her telling him in detail about her trip and her new calm attitude. 

Drinking Ken might have been too subtle a marker for out-of-character Ken however. Most people would probably think of it as normal and not particularly unusual. I would probably have lampshaded it by having Kat comment on it and letting "Ken" claim that his public teetotal persona is a façade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Drinking Ken might have been too subtle a marker for out-of-character Ken however. Most people would probably think of it as normal and not particularly unusual. I would probably have lampshaded it by having Kat comment on it and letting "Ken" claim that his public teetotal persona is a façade.

That would have been a hoot, although I could see people then believing that Ken really is a heavy drinker and not a tee-totaling Mormon. So I guess it's good the show played it safe, or safer. Some people just can't take a joke.

Thanks for all the descriptions of that episode everyone. It's like I really watched it, so I'm good now!

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Eventually he gets up to find another seat away from her.

In Coach!

I enjoyed their scene together. I like the show as well.

I like her friend Max, but I think that relationship has run its course, and he could find modest success in Nashville and move away easily without negatively impacting the show.

• Like 1

Sorry, just wanted to express my joy. I just received my first email notification in over a year! I tried to 'fix' it at the time they stopped and ended up logging out completely and then couldn't get back logged in because I could not receive the confirmation email!! I had to beg a mod to log me back in and I've been just checking in a few times a day to read all the new posts in the forums I'm following. I hope this means I'll be getting my notifications now!

Happy Season 5 GIF by Friends

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7

Guinness came out with its 2023 World's Record Holders Friday, Sept. 30. Behold, the world's tallest living cat, Fenrir, who tops out at 18.83 inches. Fenrir lives in Michigan and shares a house with Altair, the cat with the world's longest tail.

fenrir.jpg.baaf8b28c4328ef7718a756e78aaf8ec.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Guinness came out with its 2023 World's Record Holders Friday, Sept. 30. Behold, the world's tallest living cat, Fenrir, who tops out at 18.83 inches. Fenrir lives in Michigan and shares a house with Altair, the cat with the world's longest tail.

fenrir.jpg.baaf8b28c4328ef7718a756e78aaf8ec.jpg

It looks to me like there was a bit of domestic cat X wild cat hooking up in the recent gene pool.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It looks to me like there was a bit of domestic cat X wild cat hooking up in the recent gene pool.

Fenrir is a Savannah cat, a crossbreed of a domestic cat with an African Serval. It's a recognized breed by the ITCA. Here's a bit of info from Purina.

Savannah cat

Fenrir's owner is a doctor who had his house burn down while he was trying to save the lives of his cats. He lost nearly all of them in this tragic event, and nearly died himself. Then his marriage broke up. He obtained another cat eventually, and that one plus more he credits with saving his life as he suffered from extreme depression after the brutal fire and aftermath. Fenrir and other of his cats are therapy animals in his clinic. They go from room to room and eventually end up asleep in a chair in one room or another. Except Fenrir never missed lunch, he always wakes up for that.

His is a fantastic story, and good on Dr. William John Powers of Farmington Hills, Michigan for sharing his home with Fenrir and the other cats. Cat power!

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

I have to comment on Katy's interview story Thursday, that she has a painting done by a vulture. I about fell out of my chair at that story, I was so stunned. I have turkey vultures here, I've been watching them all year. They like to roost on the top of my corn crib, which is VERY high, and the roof of my kennel building. At one time there were six of them. Now there are two every once in a while, but a solitary one has been spending the night on top of my corn crib about every other night. I like to watch him when I am feeding the horse and he is silhouetted against the setting sun. Big body with a peanut head on a stick neck!

I was kidding with a friend that the vulture is my spirit animal. I notice them when I am driving and one sails overhead, miles from home so it's not "my" vulture. Then two nights ago this happened. My horse comes up to the backyard fence and puts her head over to eat her grain as I stand inside the yard and hold the grain tub for the half hour it takes for her to eat. That early evening, the lone vulture sailed clear across my property without flapping once. He circled back and made a smaller circle, then he lined up directly behind my horse and sailed just a few feet high, in a straight line, directly over the horse and me. I tiled my head and leaned back to follow him as he went over. As soon as he cleared us, he circled around and flew up to the top of the corn crib. I waved at him as he went by.

I told my friend about it and said he's either my spirit animal or a harbinger of my impending death. She said I should put out some paper and paints in the backyard to see if he would land and paint up a canvas. I said we could get rich, vulture and me, selling his paintings.

Still, I would LOVE to have painting done by a vulture, for oh so many reasons.

ETA: I thought maybe the vulture was checking out the horse's dinner, but my friend said, "Don't they eat carrion and rotten meat?" which reminded me maybe it was time for me to take a bath. True story!

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 5

I took my young daughter to see A Fish Called Wanda in the movie theater. There weren’t many people there. During the love scene y child asked me what they were doing. I said speaking Italian. The couple in front of us cracked up so hard. On the way out after the movie they remarked how interesting it was that she just accepted that answer. I guess you had to be there. It was funny at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I took my young daughter to see A Fish Called Wanda in the movie theater. There weren’t many people there. During the love scene y child asked me what they were doing. I said speaking Italian. The couple in front of us cracked up so hard. On the way out after the movie they remarked how interesting it was that she just accepted that answer. I guess you had to be there. It was funny at the time. 

I am really gonna have to go back and rewatch that movie. I’ve obviously forgotten more than I’ve remembered over the years. 

• Like 2

I saw Kevin Kline in “Present Laughter” on Broadway a few years ago, and I hoped he’d come out after and sign autographs.  I wanted him to sign my program with just, “Asshole!” as Otto from “Wanda”.  Sadly he avoided (evaded?) the crowds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That's hilarious! As a parent, I get it completely.

Speaking of being a parent - A Fish Called Wanda is the last film we saw before we became parents - I gave birth 4 hours after seeing it! Had no clue that I was near - I felt more energy than I had for the entire pregnancy. Which, I guess, was the clue.

So the movie holds a special place in our hearts - though frankly I've forgotten what happened in it - guess that got pushed out for stronger memories.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 6

A Fish Called Wanda was on tv, one of those antenna rerun stations, not long ago. I saw it when it first came out and, frankly, don't remember much about it. And I have no excuse for my memory loss, unlike @Clanstarling! It is, however, one of those classic films that lives forever.

I just looked it up ... gosh, it was released in 1988, a year that is kind of a blur anyway!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I know people who have tried to implement new pronouns, but there hasn't been much momentum because 99.9% of folks just basically haven't been willing to use them. I've seen "ze" and "per" for instance. Also "hir" and "xe". 

And then if you do use one of those, the person hearing you use it usually doesn't know what they mean, so it's confusing and doesn't add clarity to anything.

There is precedent for using they/them for singulars, though, especially when gender is unknown, for instance: "I found this wallet but it doesn't have any I.D. in it. I am bringing it to the Lost And Found, and I hope when the person realizes it's missing, they think to go there and ask if anyone turned it in."

Some pronoun info here:
https://pronouns.org/

Also here:
https://www.umass.edu/stonewall/pronouns

I think eventually there will be more consensus and people will get used to whatever settles into common usage, but with things in flux right now, everyone's kind of adjusting.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

I will admit “they/ them” sounded strange to me at first. The fussy editor in me even got a little annoyed: “Why are you using a plural word for a single person?” But then I learned this is actually nothing new.

Using “they” as a singular pronoun has been around since the days of Chaucer and Shakespeare. It was commonly used as a gender neutral pronoun for a few hundred years, until it was replaced by the generic “he” in the 1700’s. (This was not an improvement.) It’s also interesting to realize that “you” was not used as a singular pronoun until the 17th century. Before that, it was used only in referring to multiple people— and I bet multiple people grumbled about the change!

Language is always evolving, and that’s usually a good thing, in my opinion. It just takes getting used to. Having used it for awhile, the singular “they” no longer sounds strange to me. It actually wouldn’t surprise me if gender specific pronouns fell out of use, some day in the future.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

For purposes of clarity, I try to go back and edit my posts to swap out pronouns for nouns where ever possible.
It prevents mistaken identity of the person (or pet or whatever) to whom I am referring.
Communicating online is already difficult enough.

When I did some freelance academic editing, I was surprised to learn that repeating a name or fact is preferred rather than trying to come up with other, creative ways of saying the same thing as one would in fiction or some other informal writing.

So:
Fewer pronouns and more proper nouns = less confusion

And then, often the few remaining uses of "they" feel very natural, like when used in conversation for decades.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

creative ways of saying the same thing as one would in fiction or some other informal writing.

I think it's wrong in fiction too, you simply don't need to be 'creative' when referencing a character, it takes away from the flow IMO, just use the name, it's enough.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Using “they” as a singular pronoun has been around since the days of Chaucer and Shakespeare. It was commonly used as a gender neutral pronoun for a few hundred years, until it was replaced by the generic “he” in the 1700’s. (This was not an improvement.) It’s also interesting to realize that “you” was not used as a singular pronoun until the 17th century. Before that, it was used only in referring to multiple people— and I bet multiple people grumbled about the change!

Yes!  I keep wanting to point this out to people who complain about the singular "they".  People manage to figure out if someone's referring to a single "you" or multiple "yous".  Actually, maybe in a few decades or a few centuries, we'll have developed language like "them-all" or "them'uns" to help keep things straight.

And I'd like to point out, if you've ever had a middle-schooler, the singular "they" seems to be a very handy tool for obfuscation.  ("I'm meeting a friend at the mall.  Their mom will give me a ride home.")

Edited by SoMuchTV
additional thought
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

It actually wouldn’t surprise me if gender specific pronouns fell out of use, some day in the future.

I always think it says a lot about a culture when the need to know what gender someone is becomes strictly encoded in the language to the extent that it's nearly impossible to avoid declaring it every single time a person is referenced.

Most of the time it really isn't relevant. But it's practically forced on all speakers to specify it when talking about anyone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

So as a former New Yorker am I supposed to say “they guys” vs “you guys (or youse guys)? 

Only if you would normally say “he guys” or “she guys”, I think…?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

So as a former New Yorker am I supposed to say “they guys” vs “you guys (or youse guys)? 

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Now I’m really confused 😂

In English, "you" is not gendered, so no reason to swap it out, but in other languages, they're probably doing that. 
     Note the use of "they're" in that sentence👆 is not new.

However, "guys" is a gendered term, even if it gets used for both genders.

I have been mentally patting myself on the back lately for having been an early adopter of:
"y'all" and "all y'all" in place of terms like "you guys."

I was surprised to hear my grammar-fanatic mother say "y'all" in the 1980s (we are a non-Southern family) and asked her about it. She smiled and shrugged, so I've been keeping "y'all" in my back pocket all these years and trotting it out when it seemed right. 

While dopey on heavy chemo in 2016, I watched many hour of Steve Harvey's Family Feud and learned the art of using "all y'all."

Edited by shapeshifter
to note that we are a non-Southern family
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

People manage to figure out if someone's referring to a single "you" or multiple "yous".  Actually, maybe in a few decades or a few centuries, we'll have developed language like "them-all" or "them'uns" to help keep things straight.

That's why Y'all exists.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Youse guys is standard lingo for Chicago speakers. And I use "guys" as a generic term meaning all of youse guys I'm talking at, no gender specified. I always get a kick out of tv announcers who never use the opposite term. Like they call women "girls" but never say the men are "boys." Just something I've noticed over the decades.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have been mentally patting myself on the back lately for having been an early adopter of:

"y'all" and "all y'all" in place of terms like "you guys."

I was surprised to hear my grammar-fanatic mother say "y'all" in the 1980s (we are a non-Southern family) and asked her about it. She smiled and shrugged, so I've been keeping "y'all" in my back pocket all these years and trotting it out when it seemed right. 

While dopey on heavy chemo in 2016, I watched many hour of Steve Harvey's Family Feud and learned the art of using "all y'all."

Love the story about your Mom.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I *am* a Southerner, so I have been using y’all and all y’all all my whole life.  

I, myself, am not a southerner, but my dad was. So I learned y'all at my daddy's knee. And I love "all y'all" because it's just fun to say.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4