Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

The reason I'm posting this is because the Report Titles with Typos etc. thread is still open and might be a place to post similar requests.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Or you can just report the thread (by reporting any post in it) and note the need for an edit. 

Kind of a mixed message from TBTB on that thread, though. The response was 

Please continue to report all topic titles that need changes (or any other issues you come across) as usual. Even though there aren't any moderators listed for specific shows, they will still be tended to by a moderator.

but the thread @shapeshifter started wasn’t locked. I suppose I’ll continue to “report” that kind of thing the old way, but use the Bugs thread as a fallback if I don’t get a response in a day or two. 

• Like 2
On 3/10/2024 at 12:56 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Kind of a mixed message from TBTB on that thread, though. The response was 

Please continue to report all topic titles that need changes (or any other issues you come across) as usual. Even though there aren't any moderators listed for specific shows, they will still be tended to by a moderator.

but the thread @shapeshifter started wasn’t locked. I suppose I’ll continue to “report” that kind of thing the old way, but use the Bugs thread as a fallback if I don’t get a response in a day or two. 

It has been clarified we're still to do it the usual Report way:

(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It has been clarified we're still to do it the usual Report way:

Definitely try reporting typos etc. the usual way first, and even a second time. 
I may have even tried reporting 3 times because it was right after the big board shakeup.
Then, after a couple of weeks or so, I tried creating the "Report Titles with Typos etc." thread, not really expecting it to be approved, but it was approved, and the error was fixed.

But, yeah, now there's that last post saying to "please report posts that require topic title changes instead of posting them here." 

I still see the former Mod avatars are still on some threads,
but on the "Report Titles with Typos etc." thread we now have a current Mod and an Administrator to report to.

Maybe they'll leave that thread up until all threads have still-functioning/present Mods?

Edited by shapeshifter
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe they'll leave that thread up until all threads have still-functioning/present Mods?

My assumption would be that even if there is no obviously assigned mod for a forum or thread, if you submit a report then someone will review it. How quickly they review it might depend on how many reports there are vs how many mods, but it should get reviewed even if it takes a couple of days.

You don't need to submit to a specific mod. There's a button for "report this post" (the triangular on on the bottom of each post). I didn't notice that for a long time, since I never used it or wanted to use it. But one day I floated my cursor over each icon to see what it was for, and they are nicely labeled.

6 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

My assumption would be that even if there is no obviously assigned mod for a forum or thread, if you submit a report then someone will review it. How quickly they review it might depend on how many reports there are vs how many mods, but it should get reviewed even if it takes a couple of days.

Right; whatever is happening differently on the site's end (e.g. new, and fewer, moderators), how to get a post or thread reviewed is the same on our end -- hit the Report icon.

• Like 1
(edited)

Today's purple grouping in the NYT  "Connections" game has me 🤬.

Hairy and Harry are not homophones!

I did get all four categories without an error, but only because the blue, yellow and green groupings came to me easily, leaving only the final four, which included the aberration.

Edited by ProudMary
Removed spoiler tags.
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Hide contents

I did get all four categories without an error, but only because the blue, yellow and green groupings came to me easily, leaving only the final four, which included the aberration.

(I spoiler tagged because I don't know what the appropriate window should be. It's 6:00 p.m. Eastern as I'm posting this, so this puzzle still has six "fresh" hours.)

Hah! Wouldn't be for me either, but I'm sure in lots of places it would be. 
Maybe more about this tomorrow when we don't have to spoiler tag. 

BTW, there aren't any Primetimer threads specifically for Wordle, etc. are there? I guess it would be crazy-pants to try to keep the spoiler tags updated. 
Even The New York Times struggles with people posting from different time zones spoiling the daily comments sections before they close.

There is a thread that isn't supposed to be about the spoiler-tagged category you referenced, but it's where posters discuss that stuff too:
         here.
And this👆 is an example of the rare situation in which it's appropriate to link the word "here" instead of the a title or words identifying the link.

7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW, there aren't any Primetimer threads specifically for Wordle, etc. are there?

I searched and it turns out that Wordle does have its own Primetimer thread. 

13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And this👆 is an example of the rare situation in which it's appropriate to link the word "here" instead of the a title or words identifying the link.

Has this been an issue in other Primetimer forums? I suppose people might have concerns about clicking on an unknown link. Here in the Jeopardy! forum, many of us "know" each other by user name and have a certain level of online trust, but I guess I wouldn't blindly click on a "here" link if I didn't recognize the forum member. Whenever I rename a link, I usually make note of the source above the renamed link, for example, "From Deadline." 

25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. That's a good idea.

• Useful 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Reveal spoiler

(I spoiler tagged because I don't know what the appropriate window should be. It's 6:00 p.m. Eastern as I'm posting this, so this puzzle still has six "fresh" hours.)

Haha, I guess this can relate back to Jeopardy! because

Spoiler

of the great Barry/Berry controversy. 

(I’ll try to remember to remove the spoiler tag tomorrow.) 

Edit:  because of the great Barry/Berry controversy. Can't seem to un-spoiler the existing text.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! Wouldn't be for me either, but I'm sure in lots of places it would be. 

BTW, there aren't any Primetimer threads specifically for Wordle, etc. are there? I guess it would be crazy-pants to try to keep the spoiler tags updated. 
Even The New York Times struggles with people posting from different time zones spoiling the daily comments sections before they close.

I haven’t seen threads here for Connections, Wordle, Strands, etc. but I don’t see why someone couldn’t start them here:

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/293-fun-n-games/

As for spoiler rules, I’d say once it’s the new day everywhere in the world, then yesterday’s puzzle is fair game. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
trying to remove spoiler related to yesterday's Connections game
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I searched and it turns out that Wordle does have its own Primetimer thread. 

Has this been an issue in other Primetimer forums? I suppose people might have concerns about clicking on an unknown link. Here in the Jeopardy! forum, many of us "know" each other by user name and have a certain level of online trust, but I guess I wouldn't blindly click on a "here" link if I didn't recognize the forum member. Whenever I rename a link, I usually make note of the source above the renamed link, for example, "From Deadline." 

Yes. That's a good idea.

Oh we cross posted. Looks like there’s a game forum in a couple different places in the Beyond TV Shows area - one in Pop Culture and one in Interests & Hobbies. So I guess if anyone wants to start threads for the other NYT games, we should put them in the forum where Wordle already is. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I haven’t seen threads here for Connections, Wordle, Strands, etc. but I don’t see why someone couldn’t start them here:

The Wordle thread is actually in the "Games" forum. The other is the "Fun n Games" forum, where Primetimer members are actually playing different games with each other. 🤪

I'm thinking of starting a "Connections" thread in the Games forum, but even the Wordle thread doesn't generate much traffic, so it might not be worth it. 

I felt comfortable with bringing it up here, specifically because of the reason you spoiler tagged!

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

The Wordle thread is actually in the "Games" forum. The other is the "Fun n Games" forum, where Primetimer members are actually playing different games with each other. 🤪

Retired web designer, ontologist, librarian, and archivist shakes her head.
Maybe after Mother's Day I'll check this out and suggest some slight thread title modifications for clarity.
Not because I think they'll change them, but, maybe…?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Although there was at least one poster who requested links not be applied to words at all (I guess they had a bad experience), I was just ranting about linking the word "here" when it's not clear what "here" is about. 
So, yes, there are some folks who just don't click on any linked words anywhere, and yes, you're linking in a helpful way.❤️
But it's kind of a passé netiquette rule. 
Sorry. I'm old and made my first web page in the pre-browser early 90s.
But feel free to trample my lawn.🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the early evening, sometimes afternoon, I change my computer clock to reflect a time zone that's past midnight and then play tomorrow's games. It doesn't work for the Globle games, but the NYT and Wordledaily games are playable with an altered clock.

• Useful 3

I often only get three out of 4 of the connection groups, but that's all you need, as the remaining 4 are obviously the last group. When the answer is revealed, it always makes sense, though. If they didn't explain it in the end, I would probably still not understand some of them.

• Like 2
(edited)

I sometimes don’t get the Connection even when it’s revealed! 😆. Those purple ones can be a REAL stretch. I dislike when there are five words that can be a connection. I then work on the other ones until one of the five is eliminated. Otherwise, I can run out of chances trying to eliminate one. I LOVE when I get the purple connection first.

Edited by chitowngirl
2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I sometimes don’t get the Connection even when it’s revealed! 😆. Those purple ones can be a REAL stretch. I dislike when there are five words that can be a connection. I then work on the other ones until one of the five is eliminated. Otherwise, I can run out of chances trying to eliminate one.

This is often what does me in, too!

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In the early evening, sometimes afternoon, I change my computer clock to reflect a time zone that's past midnight and then play tomorrow's games. It doesn't work for the Globle games, but the NYT and Wordledaily games are playable with an altered clock.

Cool.
But we still have to wait until 3 a.m. ET to post on the NY Times Wordle Review comment. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Retired web designer, ontologist, librarian, and archivist shakes her head.

Sorry. I'm old and made my first web page in the pre-browser early 90s.
But feel free to trample my lawn.🙃

Me too. Except for archivist. I usually hover over links like "here" - or any "hidden" link to see where it goes to - works just fine here.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I usually hover over links like "here" - or any "hidden" link to see where it goes to - works just fine here.

I always hover to see what site is being linked.  It's mostly only an issue in the celebrity news threads; if the article is from a tabloid or a "news" organization that specializes in misinformation, I'm not going to click on it, I will go look the person being discussed up to find an article from another source.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I always hover to see what site is being linked.  It's mostly only an issue in the celebrity news threads; if the article is from a tabloid or a "news" organization that specializes in misinformation, I'm not going to click on it, I will go look the person being discussed up to find an article from another source.

I do the exact same thing, not just here but everywhere. If I think something is a questionable source, I do a search for the same info from I source I trust. 

BTW, I removed the spoiler tags from my original post upthread.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 4/27/2024 at 8:51 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Thanks! I just did tomorrow's.
One less thing keeping me up at stupid o'clock.

• LOL 2

How do I hover over a link on an iPad?  I can hover when I'm on my laptop, but Safari doesn't show me anything, so I like it when people give me a little information about the link.

• Sad 1
58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

How do I hover over a link on an iPad?  I can hover when I'm on my laptop, but Safari doesn't show me anything, so I like it when people give me a little information about the link.

I don't know about iPad, but on my Windows or Android touchscreen, if I press and hold I can get more information about the URL. 

• Like 1
On 11/4/2023 at 9:52 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Jeopardy! fans might enjoy (or might not, I don’t know what you like!) the Hulu movie Quiz Lady. Aquafina and Sandra Oh are sisters, Will Ferrell is a Trebek-esque quiz show host, there’s a smug 80-something game winner, there’s dog napping, there’s not Alan Cumming… not a bad way to waste a couple of hours on the weekend. 

Late to this thread, but I loved that movie. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That sounds so good. I love strawberries, but the ones in the stores are often not the best. Don't really have the space to grow them here. :(

I love strawberries - I grow them on my kitchen counter. I have a little hydroponics set up, germinated my first plant from seeds I got off of a store-bought strawberry, and then it gave me a "baby" plant that I allowed to grow. I don't get a ton of strawberries as it's only two plants, but it's still pretty good. I used to do it with some plants from the garden store, and they were quite prolific, but I wasn't as big of a fan of the strawberries. In the summer, I'll grow the strawberry plants in pots on my balcony as well. They don't need nearly as much space as google led me to believe when I initially started growing them.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I love strawberries - I grow them on my kitchen counter. I have a little hydroponics set up, germinated my first plant from seeds I got off of a store-bought strawberry, and then it gave me a "baby" plant that I allowed to grow. I don't get a ton of strawberries as it's only two plants, but it's still pretty good. I used to do it with some plants from the garden store, and they were quite prolific, but I wasn't as big of a fan of the strawberries. In the summer, I'll grow the strawberry plants in pots on my balcony as well. They don't need nearly as much space as google led me to believe when I initially started growing them.

That sounds fantastic.
I wish I could dredge up just a little more energy to make that happen. Or tomato plants. But other projects are getting my attention this year.

Maybe you could swap out your Eeyore avatar with Strawberry Shortcake when the strawberries are ripe. 

png-transparent-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-pie-cheesecake-strawberry-girl-frutti-di-bosco-food-fashion-girl.png  png-transparent-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-pie-cheesecake-strawberry-girl-frutti-di-bosco-food-fashion-girl.png

(that image is linked here)

Just so we can vicariously enjoy them through you.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That sounds fantastic.
I wish I could dredge up just a little more energy to make that happen. Or tomato plants. But other projects are getting my attention this year.

I do have a tomato plant this year - but the mister is doing the work for me (albeit a tad grudgingly). I love the idea of a garden, but have a phobia when it comes to dirt. Even as a kid I hated getting my hands dirty (and gloves don't really fit me, not to mention, I'm lazy).

• Like 2
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That sounds fantastic.

Maybe you could swap out your Eeyore avatar with Strawberry Shortcake when the strawberries are ripe. 

png-transparent-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-pie-cheesecake-strawberry-girl-frutti-di-bosco-food-fashion-girl.png  png-transparent-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-shortcake-strawberry-pie-cheesecake-strawberry-girl-frutti-di-bosco-food-fashion-girl.png

(that image is linked here)

Just so we can vicariously enjoy them through you.

I'm rather attached to Eeyore - who I adopted as my avatar after Eeyore was a FJ answer years back. Apparently there is a version of Eeyore who wears a strawberry suit, though ;)

s-l400.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, secnarf said:

I'm rather attached to Eeyore - who I adopted as my avatar after Eeyore was a FJ answer years back. Apparently there is a version of Eeyore who wears a strawberry suit, though ;)

9 hours ago, secnarf said:

s-l400.jpg

Totally adorbs! 😍
His tail even has a nail holding it on!
s-l960.webp
But I looked him up on Ebay, and he is *scented*🤧😑😵

I respect your current Eeyore as part of your identity, and appreciate that it is fragrance-free, and now vaguely recall my kids' Strawberry Shortcake doll's odor.🤧
(Absolutely nothing like the aroma of fresh strawberries!)

There are quite a few instances of Eeyore being the correct Jeopardy! response.
I recall at least one in the last year or so, and even though I am not a very good Jeopardy! player, I always recognize the Eeyore clues. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

I recall there were several Man from U.N.C.L.E. fans around these parts -- noticed that TCM is airing a couple of movies on Friday this week, One of Our Spies is Missing and How to Steal the World.

• Like 3

Apropos of nothing, I was putting together a playlist of some newer Indie/Alternative music that I like. This song was suggested. Of course, I HAD to share it here. 😄

Here is "Merry Mary Marry Me" by Royel Otis. I actually like the song, too! I didn't add it to the playlist yet, but I may end up doing so. I've heard a few other songs by this band that I like, but that title hit me right away!

• Like 3
  • Wink 3

Since the “Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals” thread is only for “those in the entertainment industry,” but since this lovely article about the parent of an historically significant person might be useful for a future Jeopardy response, I’m sharing here a Gift Link for the WaPo obituary: “Marian Robinson, mother of first lady Michelle Obama, dies at 86”
https://wapo.st/454lxxE

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I happened to catch the last half of a show I'd never seen before - The 1% Club. I think it was on a Fox channel. I searched for a thread here on Primetimer... can't seem to find one.

Anyone else here watch this show? I'm a lover of puzzles and logic/think-it-through stuff, so this show was fun.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

I happened to catch the last half of a show I'd never seen before - The 1% Club. I think it was on a Fox channel. I searched for a thread here on Primetimer... can't seem to find one.

Anyone else here watch this show? I'm a lover of puzzles and logic/think-it-through stuff, so this show was fun.

I started watching it when it came on but fell asleep withing the first 20 minutes, I didn't even understand the 2nd question. I was so tired I couldn't tell you what time it started but I'll probably try to watch it again.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

I meant to check that out but forgot to add it to my dvr. I’ll see if I can get the first episode on demand. I’m not sure it’s something I’d enjoy, but I ended up watching all of The Floor, so who knows. 

• Like 1
On 6/5/2024 at 4:10 PM, Bliss said:

Turns out it’s on Prime, so I watched it there. I liked it okay, although I called (minor) foul on a couple of the questions. Also kind of surprised at the level of difficulty on some of them!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I watched the first episode of the 1% Club tonight on Amazon Prime. Thanks for the reminder, @Bliss!

I liked it, even though I would have gone out on the second question. Spoilers in case anyone is still planning to watch: 

Spoiler

I forget the wording, but it was the one where you had to pick a name based on the number of letters it had. That one totally threw me--and about 1/3 of the contestants! I was surprised that was an 80%-er, as I found the next several questions much easier. The other one I totally whiffed had numbers that seemed random but were actually the totals of bordering countries.

Two that I got wrong but took exception with were:

Spoiler

The largest number under 100 that looks the same upside-down. If you stand 96 on its head, the numbers are reversed and don't look like 69. That's how I was flipping numbers in my mind, and 88 was all that fit. They should have said "rotate 180 degrees".

I was also confused by the wording of the final question. They never specified a real word, just a password, and so any number of combinations would have worked. By the time I realized they MUST want an actual word, it was too late and I didn't have enough time to figure it out.

Clearly I am not a member of the 1% club (not this week, anyway!) but I really enjoyed this episode and will be watching more. I like logic puzzles and I love that they're doing something different from the usual trivia contest. Not sure how I feel about Patton Oswalt as host-- a little too laid back, and some of the banter fell flat, IMO-- but I expect he'll settle in with time.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 2
(edited)

From Monday, June 11th's game:

My TS instagets:

• anxiety because it was one of the illustrations I did for a book about “feelings.”

Speaking of anxiety, I would very much like to see Shapeshifter's illustration. 

It was in an alphabet book, for which I did not get to choose the words, and it turns out it was actually "anXious," not "anXiety," for "X".
In an early mock-up I did use "anxiety."
Among other things, I kept trying to steer the author to accepting shorter versions of words for design purposes, which he admittedly couldn't see or comprehend.
This is just a taste of the a long, boring story about my nightmarish working relationship with the young professorial author due to our ego clashes, inexperience in publishing picture books, and neglect by the publisher's person. Neither of us has since apologized to the other.

Anyhoo, "anXious" (for "X") was the most visually complex depiction.
Nobody seems to grok it, but the author let me have that one.
Maybe some here will get it?
As per your request:anxious72rgb-small.jpg.781495d94578fb23c2b72dd4805c9958.jpg

Hi-res here: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LjvzL8m1GfQl5nIiuhoYHaVQpz2Xj6po/view?usp=sharing

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

As per your request:

Awesome! Thank you! I think you captured the emotion beautifully, in both form and color. Even the letters look a little anxious.

I see the author has no other books for sale on Amazon. Maybe he should have listened a little better? :) 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I see the author has no other books for sale on Amazon. Maybe he should have listened a little better? :) 

Oh, he has published more books. He’s a Professor of Music Education who specializes in SEL (Social Emotional Learning).

But no more picture books.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2