Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Best Christmas Ever

The holiday break is over and school is back in session, but the talk of the town is Annalise's missing husband. Meanwhile, the police have more questions for the Keating Five, who have different ways of dealing with their guilt; and Annalise takes on a client who's in the mob.

Great ending. I knew that Sam's body would be found. The season finale cliffhanger has got to be who is arrested for the murder. I don't know who it will be. Annalise, Frank, Bonnie, or one of the students. 

This episode was more emotion than action, but I absolutely loved it. The Christmas flashbacks were great. I am surprised that I liked the case of the week so much. The woman was so unbalanced. She actually thought that she could raise a child. 

Annalise drinking and drugging in the hotel was so crazy. I hope that she is not about to become an alcoholic. Annalise and Nate were heartbreaking talking about his dying wife. Annalise was right. He was lucky to have found such a loving woman. I am pleased that Nate has seemed to have forgiven her. 

I don't know what to think about Sam's sister. 

I am enjoying Laurel so much. She has really come into her own. Her outburst to get sent away from her family was so calculating. I hope that she is back with her boyfriend.

I adore Connor and Oliver. I am so glad that Connor is making an effort to make it work with him. Oliver can help anchor him because he is still shaky as hell.

Wes and Rebecca are a sweet couple despite their drama. I wonder what happened to the guy lived in the room before. Is this the next mystery? 

How can Michaela marry a man who she does not trust? It is not good that she is wearing that fake ring after Aidan broke up with her.

I feel so bad for Asher. Bonnie has been mean to him and he has no clue what is going on around him.  

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

We're back to case of the week. Didn't much care for it until Anni withdrawn herself from being her attorney but that was towards the end.

I see where Laurel got her stone cold demeanor from, the dinner scene was interesting but just still can't get into her character at all. I've seen the woman who portrayed Laurel's mom many times but her name is on the tip of my tongue.

Connor, still wants Oliver, but I see why Oliver is resistant and keeps him at arms length, which I think Connor is going to ruin the whole relationship one the murder comes to the surface and Oliver finds out that he doesn't have a drug problem. 

Michaela's engagement is called off, and if she still going to think he's sleeping with other men, everytime she sees Aiden with another man, then she doesn't need to marry him.

Wes & Rebecca still bore me to a degree but I do wonder what's up with those marks on the wall he keeps staring at.

They found Sam's body. Should be a good couple of episodes left.

• Love 3

Well, they were gonna find Sam's remains sooner or later. Not too shocking of an ending, though it does move things along.

I've said before that I don't find Annalise particularly maternal, but the way she looked at that little girl when they brought her into the police station changed my mind. Though I did think she looked weird in an apron cooking for Hannah. But of course being a good mother and being able to cook don't have to go hand in hand.

Yeesh, Aiden is a jerk. I know Michaela hasn't exactly been at her best with him and she's currently hiding a major secret, but the whole "I can't marry you when you're like this"? Ever heard of for better or worse, fuckboi?

Oliver is a dork. I love him.

So Frank is in the know about the murder, I guess. Huh. Wish I cared. He and his beard can go.

Laurel's scene with her family was really interesting. I suppose the wallflower thing comes from being overlooked, though it appears she's the most successful in terms of career (her family appears wealthy and I guess her other siblings don't work).

Tf was up with Nate's (offscreen) wife being all "I'm just glad you're happy" when her husband is literally having sex with another woman while she's currently dying of cancer? Shit, if I was dying of cancer my husband would be at my bedside 24/7 or risk me haunting his ass.

"Do you want to psychoanalyze me?" "God no." I think I'm gonna enjoy any and all future Annalise/Hannah smackdowns.

Asher is still weirdly likable. "You hurt my feelings" would sound dumb coming from any other grown ass man, and it still kind of sounds dumb coming from him, but I do feel bad for him. He's right, everyone makes fun of him, and he's rightfully upset at Bonnie using him. But I prefer him being mopey about it as opposed to threatening Bonnie with a sexual harassment suit.

Annalise wasn't having anybody's shit with the whole "I'm sure we've all done things that require a lawyer" side-eye she gave the ones involved in the murder. Obviously she gave up the case at the end, but still, she has a point. Any of them refusing to help a client on the basis of morals is extremely hypocritical.

I was wondering if the Rudy thing was going to come back into play. Can't tell yet if it has anything to do with Sam/Lila or if it's a separate mystery that's being set up for next season.

• Love 2

Wes' I'm-about-to-faint-from-fear face at the end of the episode made me laugh. Not because I don't appreciate the gravity of the situation, but because we have all had that oh-shit moment where we're caught or about to be (admittedly, for most of us, it's not murder-related, but still).

I enjoyed Laurel immensely tonight, and trust me I never thought I'd type such a sentence. Her antics at the family dinner were fun, and I loved her trying to get that group therapy session going. It was so absurd, yet logical, that I was both amused and moved.

Poor Michaela. She just has no idea how to cope.

I like Oliver so much. He could be good for Connor. But if Connor doesn't mess it up, I'm sure that pesky murder will.

Tf was up with Nate's (offscreen) wife being all "I'm just glad you're happy" when her husband is literally having sex with another woman while she's currently dying of cancer? Shit, if I was dying of cancer my husband would be at my bedside 24/7 or risk me haunting his ass.

I like Annalise and Nate together, and loved their scene tonight. But this elicited a WTF from me as well. So, his dying wife is all "It's totes cool that you're cheating on me. I want you to be happy." What the actual fuck? I sincerely hope his wife's conning him and plotting some sort of revenge that can be carried out posthumously. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5

The case of the week thing was good in the first few episodes when they were building momentum, and before Annalise took Rebecca's case. I guess they needed some kind of filler episode, but this one was just so horrifying.

Asher-initially I couldn't stand his frat boy thing (still can't) but he's gotten kind of adorkable. He tries so hard, but...nope. I realize it's kind of irrelevant to the main Wes/Annalise/Sam/Lila plot, but I would like to see where his relationship with his dad goes.

Connor-sweet to see him with the nephews and sister! I think Oliver would be so good for him, and I think that if Connor seriously cleaned up his act, he could be really good for Oliver too.

Michaela-seriously the most annoying of the annoying of the scooby doo gang. Wtf was up with accusing Aidan if sleeping with that guy? It did make me laugh though, it was SO uncomfortable.

Laurel-actually really growing on me. They did a good job of showing what a shallow, privileged family she came from and how she wanted to be different. I know a lot of people don't like her, but I feel like she's the sharpest of the group.

Wes-pretty irrelevant in this episode. Rebecca is just kind if weird. One minute the guy is confiding in her about his dreams and fears from murdering a man to protect her, and the next she wants ice cream. Alrighty then.

It was such a given that they would find the hacked and charred remains. After they meticulously made sure it was "fool proof," they a) disposed of the evidence in a public dumpster (presumably locally) b) Michaela lost her ring (was there engraving inside? Perhaps her name? ) and c) Wes took Sam's ring and Gave it to Annalise. Now it has his fingerprints on it. In the previews it looked like the cops were searching the house, and I would bet anything that comes up again.

• Love 2

I love Oliver, too. It kills me that when the truth about the murder comes out, Oliver is going to be devastated. And if it never comes out? Poor guy will still be living with a man who has a secret that keeps a wall between them.

Likewise, I feel bad for Asher. He's 100% right that everyone is shitty to him for no reason that makes any sense to him. Of course, if the murder story comes out, he will be relieved that they kept their distance, but still-- being shunned and derided and not knowing why is rough.

I was amazed that Annalise trusted Frank with the whole story. She must have something on him, like maybe she helped him get away with something and that's why he's so loyal and she trusts him so much.

Likewise, I'm thinking maybe Bonnie is also loving Annalise because Annalise helped her. In other words, it's not just the infatuation with Annalise as a hero or a teacher, it's the loyalty of "you saved my ass and I will do anything for you even though I know you only see me as the person who did some horrible thing and needed saving." At the moment, I'm pegging Bonnie as the killer, and/or that she will fall on her sword to save Annalise and the kids. And maybe she's distancing from Asher to protect him, too, though I also think she used him as an alibi the night they hooked up.

I think from a "getting past it" standpoint, the actual murder of Sam is not anywhere near as bad as the hacking him to pieces and burning his corpse and putting it in the dumpster part of the story. You could make a plausible story about how the murder itself occurred in a moment of panic, without pre-meditation, and followed by remorse. But the cover up is the kind of thing that is so gruesome, it would be in the headlines forever and result in books, movies, and general legend and never leave the public mind.

I want Annalise to be innocent of Lila's killing, because I think that would make a more interesting series. If the truth is that she's the original murderer, she becomes so unlikable that watching the show becomes almost too horrible. She's already shady as hell, but if they go too far with it, I don't know... it would be a risky move for a network TV show to have its central character be that deeply horrible.  I think the COTW was used to establish that she does have limits, at least I hope so.

Rebecca wanting the ice cream spooked me. She's too comfortable. Maybe she really did kill Lila.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

I know Laurel is cold but Bonnie is like Antarctica. The facial expressions, red lipstick, severe haircut. Everytime I see her, I get a lesbian vibe from her like she really wants Anni or is setting Anni up for a fall. Maybe she killed Lilah in hopes of protecting Anni, cause she has a tendency to give off killer vibes.

I think Asher is going to jump to the heavens knowing he's not part of the "inner circle", sometimes it's best to be the black sheep of the group.

• Love 1

Weird and scary episode. Is Rudy still alive? Where is he? Money from Granny in a Christmas card, so we know he's not home for the holidays. I think Wes thinks Rudy was murdered in that room.

I had to back it up a few times because I couldn't believe I was hearing panty-hose swishing sounds coming from Annalise when she walks. It doesn't fit with her character, but in this episode where she's so messy everywhere she is, I think they did it on purpose.

They ID'd the body pretty quickly, because they hadn't even notified Annalise yet. That didn't make sense to me for some reason. Why announce it to the media before notifying next of kin?

The case of the week was an obvious reference to the real case, and even the house looked like the one where the three girls were living, right down to the fence. It was scary to watch everyone helping with the case except Asher, because he's the only one of the gang who's not consumed with guilt and fear for their own lives. They are all unravelling, some faster than others. Michaela freaking out seeing her boyfriend hugging the other guy, I was surprised they didn't show flashbacks of her fiancé having a one-nighter with Connor. The way she was chugging champagne I knew there was going to be a scene of some type, and I was waiting for the evil mother to swoop down from her rafters.

Does Asher have no family? Why was he spending Christmas in a bar with Frank?

Frank asking "Do you want me to take care of her?" gave me chills. Then again, I think he's been doing Annalise's bidding for a very long time, and we're just now finding out about it.

• Love 5

They ID'd the body pretty quickly, because they hadn't even notified Annalise yet. That didn't make sense to me for some reason. Why announce it to the media before notifying next of kin?

Because she's a subject of the investigation and they wanted to put pressure on her?  I think that's why she wasn't informed about the lead that someone spotted Sam (which turned out to be a false lead paid for by her).

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I have to say that one thing that gave me chills was Wes staring off into the distance saying he's afraid he's going crazy. That just made me sad.

I still have no use for Rebecca, though. I can't even bring myself to dislike her anymore because she's just so damn boring.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

But I would think the police would WANT to tell her things to get her reaction. That's usually how it works in the real world.

I don't have real world experience in this area, ...whew!!   I was just noodling based on my vast police knowledge from years of watching tv police shows!!:)  I have no idea what's going on, but I sometimes think: What would Cagney do?  Lacy?  Who knows where this is going!

Edited by pennben

Yeesh, Aiden is a jerk. I know Michaela hasn't exactly been at her best with him and she's currently hiding a major secret, but the whole "I can't marry you when you're like this"? Ever heard of for better or worse, fuckboi?

That was my thought too.  As far as he knows, she's been "off" for about 2 weeks.  This person he supposedly loves and rather than being concerned or anything, he's all like "I can't marry this".  WTH?   Even her being drunk at that party, yeah get mad and/or embarrassed, leave separately, whatever, but to use that for a break up was just beyond cold.  Makes me think he never loved her.
  • Love 10

I wondered that too, until I remembered the case where his father was the judge and he'd done something racist.  Asher exposed him and I think his dad cut him off.

• Love 2

This person he supposedly loves and rather than being concerned or anything, he's all like "I can't marry this".  WTH?

That's his momma talking. She must be a big influence on his life, career, choice of wife, etc. I would rather be single than marry into that family.

• Love 4

I like Annalise and Nate together, and loved their scene tonight. But this elicited a WTF from me as well. So, his dying wife is all "It's totes cool that you're cheating on me. I want you to be happy." What the actual fuck? I sincerely hope his wife's conning him and plotting some sort of revenge that can be carried out posthumously. 

It's certainly possible that Nate is lying to avoid Annalise having the guilt she should rightfully have about the situation.

How can Michaela marry a man who she does not trust? It is not good that she is wearing that fake ring after Aidan broke up with her.

Money and prestige can go a long way. Also preserving a sense of normalcy.

One gets the sense that Mama Aidan was right to think of her as a golddigger. Being a trophy wife of a rich and powerful possibly gay guy would be enough.

Did we get to learn what any of the students actually got in Anni's class?

I hate myself for squeeing over Oliver throwing himself on Connor's lips and then the bashful "I more than like you" declaration, but I did.  Oliver and Connor are clearly very compatible, and lord knows there aren't enough gay men of color in TV, but I kind of like Connor as an unapologetic slut.  Also, Oliver was flat-out adorable in Grandma Walsh's hat.

My only thought as Annalise was working her way through the hotel minibar was "Don't you know how much that's costing you?"

Was anyone else surprised that Laurel has a wealthy family?  I never really got the impression that she came from money.  We know that Wes and Michaela have more humble backgrounds, I guess I just read her as being the same.

This is a totally random thought, but I hope the show's makeup artists get some kind of award.  I know from watching Face Off that doing beauty makeup isn't as easy as it looks, and particularly in the last scene, they have Viola looking flawless.

I'm betting this episode ends up on Viola's Emmy reel.

• Love 2

I don't like Sam's sister; I wonder if SHE killed Lila.  

At first I thought she was prejudice for not liking Annalise, and then I remembered that Sam and Annalise had an affair when Sam was married to a previous wife, maybe she liked her.

So that house is Sam's family home.

Why did Annalise just leave Sam's sister in the house, go to a hotel and get plastered for the holidays?  I'd be suspicious if my brother went missing and my sister-in-law just left like that.   

• Love 1

Money and prestige can go a long way. Also preserving a sense of normalcy.

One gets the sense that Mama Aidan was right to think of her as a golddigger. Being a trophy wife of a rich and powerful possibly gay guy would be enough.

Did we get to learn what any of the students actually got in Anni's class?

I'm also kind of curious about the Keating 5's grades (specifically the Murder 4). I would like to think they've got so much on their plates that she gave them all A's, but I don't think Annalise works like that.

I do think Michaela genuinely loves/likes Aiden, she genuinely seemed to enjoy being with him before the Connor thing. At this point, I think she might have her eyes on the prize a little bit more, thinking of the security and social standing he promises her.

When Michaela was fighting with Aiden's mom, I think the mom told her she could go back to the swamp she came from. (It sounds so crazy, but I think that was the quote!) When Michaela and Connor had cold feet and were talking about going to the police, Michaela made the remark that she had reinvented herself before and she could do it again. That makes me think she came from very humble beginnings. She's a pretty girl, clearly very smart and ambitious. I can see why the mom feels threatened by her. I don't like Michaela that much, but I get the impression that she's much brighter than that Aiden. The mom knows if they get married it will be Michaela calling the shots, not her.

My only thought as Annalise was working her way through the hotel minibar was "Don't you know how much that's costing you?"

Well, I guess she cashed in on Sam's life insurance ;)

Was anyone else surprised that Laurel has a wealthy family? I never really got the impression that she came from money. We know that Wes and Michaela have more humble backgrounds, I guess I just read her as being the same.

I was more surprised she had Jose Zuniga as her father. He usually plays really awful characters. I had no idea she was bi-lingual and from an ethnic background. Cuban, perhaps?

• Love 5

I was more surprised she had Jose Zuniga as her father. He usually plays really awful characters. I had no idea she was bi-lingual and from an ethnic background. Cuban, perhaps?

My suspicion is the family's money comes from drug trade.

• Love 3

Please refresh my memory. Michaela's boyfriend was the one who slept with Connor in one of the early episodes? I so, she did not know, correct? Too bad, or else she could blackball the little wiener!

I believe Frank made a comment about Laurel being rich girl who doesn't end up with guys like him, or was it Bonnie?  Anyway, there has been a reference before that Laurel is wealthy plus we know that she went to Brown for undergrad (most Brown students are wealthy).

Honestly given this an elite law school it isn't a surprise that a lot of the students come from wealthy families, sadly that is kind of how things work.

Please refresh my memory. Michaela's boyfriend was the one who slept with Connor in one of the early episodes? I so, she did not know, correct? Too bad, or else she could blackball the little wiener!

Michaela's fiance Aiden fooled around with Connor back when they were teenagers in boarding school.  Michaela is aware of this.

Edited by Atony
  • Love 2

I believe Frank made a comment about Laurel being rich girl who doesn't end up with guys like him, or was it Bonnie?  Anyway, there has been a reference before that Laurel is wealthy plus we know that she went to Brown for undergrad (most Brown students are wealthy).

Honestly given this an elite law school it isn't a surprise that a lot of the students come from wealthy families, sadly that is kind of how things work.

Michaela's fiance Aiden fooled around with Connor back when they were teenagers in boarding school.  Michaela is aware of this.

Thanks!! So that is why she is suspicious.

I don't like Sam's sister; I wonder if SHE killed Lila.  

At first I thought she was prejudice for not liking Annalise, and then I remembered that Sam and Annalise had an affair when Sam was married to a previous wife, maybe she liked her.

So that house is Sam's family home.

Why did Annalise just leave Sam's sister in the house, go to a hotel and get plastered for the holidays?  I'd be suspicious if my brother went missing and my sister-in-law just left like that.

Didn't the SIL mention that Bonnie told her that Anni was visiting her mother for the holidays since she hadn't seen her in a while? As we saw, that wasn't the case. I think after the holiday break was the first time that Anni and Hannah met up since her arrival so I don't think she was staying at the house. Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 1

This weeks case of the week was a very interesting case.. that I wish it wasn't the case of the week.  It was such a complex case that I think limiting it to just one week short-changes it.  I think the show should have other cases featured along with the season long arc.. but they shouldn't be cases of the week.. they should maybe be covered within a two to four episode range.. and just as it wraps up, a new case is introduced...

With that said, I liked the Christmas flashbacks.  I thought the brief scene of Laurel with her family developed her character so much.  Inattentive mother, overly judgemental father.. it's no wonder she acted like a wall flower at the start of the season and in a weird way.. all of this drama with the cover-up.. has brought her out of her shell... plus, it explains her attachment with Frank (a mentor/father figure).. and also why she kind of likes two guys being interested in her... it fills the void created by her perceived lack of attention received from her family.

• Love 2

I wish I had the money to go through the 5 stages of grief in a fancy hotel with room service, raiding the mini-bar.

Laurel! I didn't know you had it in you! She's been such a cypher all season, to see her bitch out her family like that, it was the first spark I'd ever seen from her. I knew she was from money, both from Bonnie's earlier comment and the gaudy statement necklaces this generation considers preppy (omg I just wrote "this generation," I'm so old you guys). But I didn't expect her to bust out the Spanish and deliberately get herself banned from the family Navidad.

Asher - that one line about missing that place when Annalise started in on that walk-in -- love.

Michaela -- something tells me she doesn't have any family to speak of, and she's clinging to Aiden's so that she has someone at her back when things go to shit. But it's doomed. Knowing about Connor has already undermined that relationship, and she's just losing it without the prospect of that security.

It was good to see that Sam's death has had repercussions for everyone, they don't seem like soulless automatons.

The face-off with Sam's sister is interesting. That looks like a complicated relationship in and of itself. MGH is a worthy scene partner for VD.

Edited by rubyred
  • Love 2

The face-off with Sam's sister is interesting. That looks like a complicated relationship in and of itself. MGH is a worthy scene partner for VD.

These two actors are so superb. I loved their scenes. However, the rest of the cast, in my opinion, can't hold a candle to VD or MGH. So when I see high-neck Wes searching for an emotion, it completely takes me out of the scene. I realize that most people are going to appear as lesser actors up against these women, but the gap is so startling to me.

• Love 1

RE: COW:

Wonder why the TiVo episode description includes "Annalise tries to behave normally and takes on a new client who is in the mob"?  Did I miss where mother/wife of the year is related to the mafia?

I still sort of think I shouldn't like this show, but I actually like it SO much that I feel like there has to be something legitimately good about it. I know the whole case-of-the-week construct isn't popular with a lot of people, but as someone who was initially drawn to the absurd legal procedural aspect, I'm glad they're not letting the soapy drama take center stage each week.

There are still glaring weaknesses. A lot of the characters remain completely uninteresting or severely underdeveloped. I enjoy the dynamic between Michaela and Connor, but Michaela on her own is just a big old nothing. And it sucks, because it's not like the character doesn't have potential - she could be having all kinds of Alison Hendrix-like crazytimes! Don't just have her whine about her fiancé, have her tie the bitch up and torture him for information! It's not like this show isn't crazy enough to go there.

Bonnie and Asher are wildly inconsistent. Frank is barely on my radar. I used to like Rebecca a bit, but I'm getting increasingly bored with her. And I'm not even going to lie, I've forgotten the main guy's name. I never forget names, let alone names of major characters on my favorite shows. Something is not working there.

That being said, I really like Laurel, I freaking love Connor, and I could watch Viola Davis and Marcia Gay Harden for hours. Luckily, it seems like the show agrees with me and tends to give these characters more attention than the others. Or maybe I just zone out when they're not on the screen. 

• Love 1

Wonder why the TiVo episode description includes "Annalise tries to behave normally and takes on a new client who is in the mob"?  Did I miss where mother/wife of the year is related to the mafia?

Every recap I've read says the same thing. That nutty woman never mentioned the mob, did she? If so, it totally blew past me.

I have to say that one thing that gave me chills was Wes staring off into the distance saying he's afraid he's going crazy. That just made me sad.

I felt for Wes when he said that. I am glad that he has Rebecca though. She could have left him, left town. She might not be the deepest person, but she clearly loves him and being there for him as he struggles with the guilt of killing Sam.

The actress who plays Laurel is Mexican. I certainly hope that the show does not stereotype Laurel's family and have her family's money come from drugs. They seemed very upper class in that scene and there are lots of wealthy Mexican businessmen.

• Love 2

Well that happened sooner than expected - Sam's body being found. Of course I guess with only a 13-episode season, things need to move along quickly. This episode further convinced me what I already believed, that Sam didn't kill Lila. I thought it was interesting that the writers had his sister voice exactly what I've been saying - his DNA was nowhere on her body and he was never seen by anyone anywhere near her the day she was murdered. Yes the circumstantial evidence against him is strong but it is still circumstantial.

So as expected, Frank is this show's version of Huck from Scandal. I don't think I was reading too much into what I thought clearly sounded like his offer to Annalise to have Hannah murdered. And the fact that it's confirmed Annalise really did tell him what happened - I imagine she would only do that if she has something huge over his head and he's been involved in some really, really dirty things before. 

It was interesting seeing the way all the Keating 4 were falling apart because of what happened. Wes and Laurel both seemed less like sociopaths even though I couldn't really understand what Laurel's reaction and actions were about. It seemed to almost suggest that her being part of the murder has awakened the "bad ass" in her. Whatever, she's still pretty boring to me but slightly less so  I guess. And I love Michaela pretending she's still engaged when she was so soundly dumped. Which speaking of, I'm now fully convinced Aidan is gay. Connor and Oliver are sort of cute but they don't really make me squee. Still I guess it would be nice to not have Connor whoring all over the place - at least for now. 

Speaking of all the students' reactions, I did notice that the one person who seems perfectly fine and unperturbed is Rebecca. Of course we got no point of view from her because again, she exists largely through Wes' eyes and his story. But I still feel like there is way more to that character that is still to come. I also thought it was interesting that this episode referenced the old tenet in Wes' apartment because I have always felt like whoever that is, is going to come into play at some point in the show. And I have a very strong feeling that whatever the story is about him, Rebecca knows more than she's told Wes. I seriously do not trust that girl though I can be self-aware enough to admit that part of that may be influenced by my general dislike for her.

The case of the week was interesting. I knew Annalise lied about the plea deal just to get the information about the little girl. And while the woman really clearly was all kinds of fucked up and tortured and likely does need serious therapy herself, she wasn't entirely innocent and without culpability in the crime and therefore deserved to go to jail as well. I was glad Bonnie finally talked to Asher but I thought she was too nice about it. He was being ridiculous in his temper tantrum behavior towards her. But at least he was man enough to admit his feelings were just hurt and agreed to stop.

YMMV but I actually do think she loves Aidan. Certainly, I'm not denying her love of the power and prestige because she's clearly from very humble means but the fact that she was willing to call off the wedding when she found out about Aidan and Connor and told him if he was gay, it would be okay, that they could be friends told me she really did care about him. If she only saw dollar signs, she would not have given a damn about his hooking up with Connor or clearly still be hurting and suspicious over it, as evidenced by her going off on him at the party.

Also, when she and Connor agreed to go to the police and she acknowledged it may cost her Aidan, one thing I remembered her saying that I loved, was that she would reinvent herself again, go somewhere else but whatever happened she would always have her brain and would always be smart. I liked that she valued her intelligence and placed that much emphasis on it. 

Was anyone else surprised that Laurel has a wealthy family?

Frank alluded to it once during one of their boring "tension" moments and I believe Bonnie did as well when she realized something was going on between them and essentially called Laurel a little rich girl "slumming" with Frank.

I am glad that he has Rebecca though. She could have left him, left town.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the feeling that Rebecca has much to go home to. She pretty much said as much to Wes, alluding to some creepy uncle who looks at her inappropriately (and of course she revealed this in her same unemotional, uninterested, bland way) and her family being drunks. I mean this is a girl who was dealing drugs to get through college so I don't really think it's a big deal she stuck around with Wes. Especially considering they're all in this murder thing together.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I'm obsessed with Laurel's beautiful face.

Oliver and Connor made me sooo happy at the end.  I didn't even know I was rooting for them.  They made me kind of euphoric for some reason.  I'm sure it helps that I'm just happy the character of Oliver exists.  The actor who plays Connor is very talented.  I find it so believable that he's in love.  Oh, sigh.

People also often mention Connor and Michaela's chemistry, so again I attribute it to this Connor actor.  I'm sure Michaela's okay for now but I don't really see her even reacting to Connor.  More like trying not to.

I've seen all of Gilmore Girls now so I finally understand who Paris Gellar is.  But Liza Weil is doing a good job of not really reminding me of Paris.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I actually enjoyed the COW, the twist at the end was not expected.

I agree with others that this show could just be MGH and Viola Davis, I would totally watch that. Well, add Connor and Oliver to that. Love them!

So, is Rebecca just a Goth loner, or is she a sociopath serial killer? What DID happen to the boy next door?

Next week the crap hits the fan, can't wait!

• Love 1

I found myself liking Sam's sister because Annalise cannot manipulate her so easily.  That is one weakness of this show for me.  Annalise is a bit too much a superwoman, who pulls the strings of everyone she deals with.  It's a relief when someone comes along (Sam's sister) who can give her a run for her money. 

• Love 1

I'm obsessed with Laurel's beautiful face.

Oliver and Connor made me sooo happy at the end.  I didn't even know I was rooting for them.  They made me kind of euphoric for some reason.  I'm sure it helps that I'm just happy the character of Oliver exists.  The actor who plays Connor is very talented.  I find it so believable that he's in love.  Oh, sigh.

People also often mention Connor and Michaela's chemistry, so again I attribute it to this Connor actor.  I'm sure Michaela's okay for now but I don't really see her even reacting to Connor.  More like trying not to.

I've seen all of Gilmore Girls now so I finally understand who Paris Gellar is.  But Liza Weil is doing a good job of not really reminding me of Paris.

I do agree that it is mostly Connor that brings the Michaela/Connor dynamic to the forefront because he mostly reacts or antagonizes her, but she has shown on little occasions that she can antagonize him, but she doesn't do it as much as he does.

I do see potential in Michaela as some view her as the weakest of the Keating 4 and that she's going to crack first. I think what she's trying to do for the most part is possibly cover up where she's really from and who she really is since she said she had to reinvent herself, so no telling what she did before coming to law school. She wants everyone to think that she has a perfect life but clearly it's falling apart. Also she could be capable of a lot since she told Aiden that if he hurts her, she will come after him with everything she got or something along those lines. I think Michaela is one of those characters that really has to be pushed over the edge before the claws come out.

I was a little confused by the Case of the Week because I wasn't paying super close attention, but from what I gathered:

Client was abducted by a man (we'll call him Rapist) and used both as his sex slave for years but also helped groom other girls/women the man captured/chained/raped. 

She apparently couldn't have kids herself, but one of the other victims did. She took that victim's baby and lied to say it was stillborn. Somehow she smuggled baby elsewhere with the plans of raising it. 

She wanted Rapist out of the picture because he seemed to be willing to become Child Rapist.

So she decides to rat him out, pretending that he completely was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome in being involved with Rapist but worked up the courage to be her own person. Her plan was that by leveraging the presence of two victims still being chained up, she could get a sweet plea deal and go on to raise Victim's Baby as her own.

She looks up Annalise, and gets her to take the case. There's the barely-subtext of Annalise identifying with Client because she too had an abusive man in her life.

As things go forward, Annalise gets wind of Victim Baby, Client's greater-than-originally-presented complicity in Rapist's activities. So she eventually withdraws.

• Love 1

Frank asking "Do you want me to take care of her?" gave me chills. Then again, I think he's been doing Annalise's bidding for a very long time, and we're just now finding out about it.

I guess Asher's still on the outs with his family after his dad basically disowned him over that whole racial profiling thing.

Yeah, something's weird about Frank. Maybe he has/had mob connections?

I also thought it was sort of unethical for police to release the name of a dead person without first notifying their family.

The way the news anchor phrased the information made it seem like a leak came from the police department to them, but no official statement had been made. I'm just confused as to how they could know it's Sam so soon. I guess they have his DNA on file from the paternity test but still. Also, the fact that they'd even assume it was Sam seems like a stretch. I think Annalise has presented compelling enough evidence that he ran, so it seems like they should be looking for a live person. However, last week people were saying that the investigation seemed too intense for just a missing person, so maybe they've been suspecting murder/foul play all along.

It'll be interesting to see how Annalise deals with this. While she didn't kill Sam, she is complicit in the cover-up and the spouse of the deceased is always the first suspect (especially when said deceased had cheated on her and gotten another girl pregnant). Will she flip on the Murder 4 to save herself or do some fancy footwork to get them all out of trouble?

Well, I guess she cashed in on Sam's life insurance ;)

Lol not at that time though. He was still considered missing. And since his body was found hacked to pieces, I'm guessing that life insurance is gonna be sitting right where it is for a good long while.

IMDb says she was born in Mexico.

My suspicion is the family's money comes from drug trade.

Meh, I hope not. Is it too much to ask that a wealthy Latino family on television come by their money through legal means?

Aiden slept with Connor before the show's timeline, when the two of them were together at an all-boys boarding school. She didn't know until they saw each other again and were super buddy-buddy.

Yeah, that was weird, there was no mob thing. I actually kept waiting for the storyline to go there and was confused when it didn't.

It would be ironic if it turns out that Rebecca really did kill Lila.

Asher is harmless and inherently decent, but there's a reason no one takes him seriously.  Maybe if he dropped the "wigga" act, and stopped seeking validation, people might actually like him.  I did appreciate him throwing sexual harassment in Bonnie's face, though.  She chose to sleep with the guy, so being an ass and openly humiliating him multiple times is not the best approach.   

Thank you so much, show, for shirtless Nate.  Feel free to feature him as much as you want.  I wasn't surprised by the wife being okay with his affair with Annalise.  I assumed she already knew, so it didn't surprise me that she was okay with it.  I don't think the show has addressed how long the wife has been sick, so it's possible they had already discussed Nate seeking comfort elsewhere.  I never got the sense that Nate didn't care for his wife, but you can love someone and not be in love with them.

• Love 3

Asher should be careful throwing the sexual harassment accusation around because under most state laws, he raped Bonnie because she was drunk and legally she could not give consent.

It has been implied that Nate's wife has sick for a very long time. I don't find it unbelievable that she let him go emotionally and is glad that he could find some happiness. 

• Love 1