Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Day I Tried To Live

Episode Synopsis:

Determined to celebrate Bonnie’s birthday, Elena convinces Jeremy that it’s what Bonnie would have wanted. After piecing the broken ascendant back together, Elena, Jeremy and Damon attempt to send Bonnie a message, but the situation turns dire when they make an unsettling discovery. Meanwhile, after uncovering Stefan’s secret about his great-niece Sarah Salvatore, Enzo enlists a reluctant Matt to help interfere with her life. Elsewhere, Stefan keeps a close eye on Caroline as she unconventionally attempts to cope with everything going on around her. Lastly, realizing it might be time to move on with his life, Jeremy contemplates leaving Mystic Falls for good.

What an epic garbage pile of crap. Bonnie's so called friends decide to hold a birthday party in her honor rather than RESCUE HER from a prison dimension. Delena find themselves more in love than ever. And Enzo has some Rube Goldbergian scheme to stick it Stefan that involves slowly corrupting Sarah. You know what would really piss Stefan off? Letting Damon know that Sarah is alive.

Things that made me happy: Jeremy deciding to leave these assholes behind, the end of Liv and Tyler (snore!), and Stefan letting Caroline take out her anger and grief on him.

• Love 3

That was about the stupidest episode that they've had yet. And did Damon say that he wrote the directions in an Atlas in THIS episode? Because I know he didn't do that when he trapped there before and didn't mention it, when he and Elena tried to save Bonnie before. 

Either way, the show sucked--which is par for course. 

That felt like a filler episode, with a threat to Bonnie which was never going to be carried out, and so never felt like a threat (and is there any reason they couldn't have taken Ms. Cuddles with them and left her there for Bonnie to get her magic back?). I don't know; at the moment it feels like the storylines are just getting dragged out to the point that I cease caring about them.

Steroline - don't care anymore.

Enzo's revenge - definitely don't care.

Bonnie getting back - almost at the point of not caring.

Delena - didn't care in the first place.

The only storyline I care about at the moment is Sheriff Forbes. Poor Alaric, Jeremy, Matt and Tyler hardly get anything to do most of the time. I really hate to seem negative because I love this show, but something just needs to take the season by the throat, and get the stories moving again.

Though I did really enjoy Liv getting blasted across the room, because I still can't stand her.

• Love 4

What an epic garbage pile of crap. Bonnie's so called friends decide to hold a birthday party in her honor rather than RESCUE HER from a prison dimension. Delena find themselves more in love than ever.

Rescue her? When we could spend that valuable time reconnecting and having the same conversation over and over again? Surely you jest!

I excuse Caroline because she has a lot going on and appears to be hanging by a thread - Stefan is on Caroline duty, so he is fine but Damon and Elena disappoint me. I know they've tried once before, but it was put on the backburner afterwards. Try out more stuff! You know that if it were Elena trapped, they would be working on it day and night. Especially Damon, who was stuck there and knows how horrible it must feel. Elena appears to have a serious disconnect to everything but Damon. Her best friend is trapped alone somewhere, her brother is depressed, her other close friend is going through her mother having a terminal illness, and Elena is all about her dates with Damon. Even Damon seems to be more proactive in trying to figure out how to help out his friends. Kai was right, she's the reverse of his situation.

And oh my GOD, get rid of Enzo. He sounds like pathetic, boring version of Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove: "Ah, how should I do it? Oh, I know. I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless little flea. And then I'll put that flea in a box, and then I'll put that box inside of another box, and then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives, AH HA HA HA, I'll SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER! It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT, I tell you! Genius, I say!"

Kai is still cool, he can stick around for now.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 8

I liked this episode. 

Loved everything Delena, Steroline, Bamon, Beremy. 

I don't understand why they kept Enzo around if they weren't going to have him do anything with Damon.  This Sarah Salvatore stuff is boring and stupid.  I like Enzo and I love Matt - it's too bad they can't have a decent storyline at all!  I'd rather see them hanging out, drinking at the Grill or Salvatore house than this.  I will say though that Sarah Salvatore is just beautiful.

I really can't stand Liv and tonight just made it even worse.  She's just awful.  I'm actually sorry that Tyler (whom I've always been meh about) likes her!  I hated Luke's hair but I'd rather watch him and his terrible haircut for hours than watch Liv for 10 minutes!

Week 2 with no Alaric.  I miss Alaric.

• Love 1

I don't care for Liv but I get her and why she went after Kai and she's the most sympathetic character IMO besides Bonnie even though it's badly acted.

I wish she had succeeded everybody annoys me.

I'm glad Jeremy is getting the hell away from Mystic Falls I wish Stefan, Caroline, Matt, Tyler, Bonnie, and Liv would follow him.

Damon/Elena suck so much

I don't quite understand the time thing. In present day time seems to be going normally. It seems like just a few weeks or a couple of months since Damon came back, yet in Bonnie's world she acted like she'd spent months to a year alone. I mean I get it sucks but she seriously wouldn't think it bad enough to kill herself this soon...surely?

I think the atlus thing was back in 1994. Seems like Damon was brainstorming ways to access magic then Bonnie got hers back on her own and he forgot about that plan and just now remembered it in present day. So he found it in present day and put it in the kitchen. When Kai sent Jeremy back he was touching the atlus and it got sent back too.

I liked Enzo, but this Sarah story is getting him way too dark for my liking. But at least it finally makes that silly omission Damon made to Bonnie about this date being the worse day of his life make more sense. In order for this "plan" of Enzo's to have even a smidge of meaning Sarah had to be given some GREAT importance. But it is too hard to swallow b/c that omission never made sense to begin with. When they decided to keep Enzo they should have given him a better story for sure.

I like the place Damon and Elena are in now. It seems much more mature than season 4-5.

I usually don't mind Liv but even I thought she was super annoying today, but I also couldn't really get with the Caroline and Stefan stuff either. The writers seemed to be trying too hard with them and it wasn't very organic.

I'm glad Jeremy is getting a decent exit story. I wish his hair was better, sad to see him go but it is time.

Kai as always is very entertaining.

I think Damon really is trying to bring Bonnie back and per usual his ideas are usually the most helpful...with playing Kai's sympathies, the bottle down the fireplace for dealing with Liv and getting Bonnie a usable plan. Overall this is like his third attempt to help her so I don't fault him b/c he is continuing to try.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1

You know, I thought I would dislike Kai having feelings because I didn't want him to turn into Darla when she was pregnant with Connor, but I ended up finding his unexpected feelings amusing. And I just KNEW that he was going to go with that "what is this wet salty discharge?" routine straight out of Seinfeld but it was still funny.

I don't blame Liv for wanting revenge and not caring if she dies in the process, but is this the first time we have been told that if the leader of a coven dies then all the other witches in the coven die? I don't seem to recall that bit of information before.

Gawd, Enzo is THE WORST. Remember when he was first introduced and he was amusing? I guess now that Kai is the resident sociopath, they don't know what to do with Enzo anymore. I just rolled my eyes at his Dangerous Liaisons-esque plot to corrupt Sara and make her a bad girl who loves being a bad girl.

You know what would really piss Stefan off? Letting Damon know that Sarah is alive.

Ha, I thought the same thing! He could do a million other things that would make Stefan mad besides befriend her and turn her into a vampire but instead he's going the classic villain route by choosing the dumbest most long drawn out thing he could do with the highest probability of being caught. Idiot.

Although the plot itself was nothing to write home about, this episode managed to have some great small moments like Stefan refusing to dig, Damon quietly saying, "Happy birthday, Bon Bon," and Kai making the Ghost analogy and then saying, "It's so sad about Patrick Swayze."

• Love 3

I know I'm probably in the minority, but...goodness gracious, Steroline is so cute. They are saving this show for me. They are just cute, cute, cute. I wasn't crazy about all the angsty stuff between them in the beginning of the season, but this is what I loved about them in Season 4 & 5. This is how they should be writing them. Just laughing and hanging out and being there for each other. They're adorable together and I love the way Stefan looks at her. I was hoping he would go in for the kiss. Maybe next week. :)

• Love 7

I don't care how they do it, but I really want Damon to be responsible for how they get Bonnie back.  He should be allowed that win.  I get that people may not agree with that....but it's my wish.

And I like watching Caroline and Stefan.  They aren't the star-crossed, always meant to be love story.  They are just two people who've always given a shit about each other and are realizing that there may be more there.  It's been organic and interesting the way they've evolved into more than a friendship and it doesn't feel forced.  I like it.

I could care less about Enzo or Sarah but they aren't a front runner story at the moment so....

Kai....more Kai.  His confusion at having human emotions is hilarious.

• Love 5

Kai is everything I laughed so hard and loud at him at war with his inner Luke, and I hadn't even thought about how now he might be into dudes too! If they make that happen I rescind my Minority Red Shirt comment.

Well shit, all it took was one episode to get me back in the Steroline camp, THAT is the chemistry I remember.

Glad the Germ is moving on with his life, and that Bonnie is determined to move on with hers, because Lord knows her "friends" aren't too pressed to help her get the hell out of there. 

You know show I'm tired of you teasing how Damon and Elena might be done, only to reaffirm them in the most eyerolly, barf inducing ways. Who cares about stupid human Elena, and whether she has all her memories. Keep it gross and offensive Plec!

Yeah sadly Enzo who I liked a LOT last year, is just all kinds of awful and useless this year, and all he does is torture Matt. FUCK YOU ENZO. While I don't hate Liv, her, Tyler, and Jo can all go back to Portland never to return. We are keeping Kai though. 

• Love 6

WHAT Bamon, OldFanGirl?  I didn't see any.  I am beyond pissed that Damon is not leading the charge to get Bonnie back.  That he had a suicide pact with Bonnie was ridiculous for two reasons.  Firstly, they wouldn't do that.  If they gave up on getting home and were there together, I don't think it is just the Bamon fan talking here, but wouldn't you think they would Adam-and-Eve it?  Had they been stranded together for eternity, they had come to a place where they had a grudging friendship, and would have kept each other from being suicidal.  Maybe this pact was made early on, before they started being more friendly.  Secondly, Damon, you knew you left Bonnie with a suicide pact and you said NOTHING about it?  They tried to handwave this as him thinking she would never go through with it, but it sours his months back in the real world.  He should have given up everything to get her back knowing what we now know.  But no.  He has to work toward having sex with Elena again.  Boo, hiss!

What was the date in 1994?  It was the same as in 2012/13.  They just had Xmas, so they are now in 2013 in the real world, however when Bonnie drove away it looked as though it was autumn where she is.  Points for her driving Damon's car. Demerits for Damon not trying to say anything to Bonnie when his ghost self was in the prison world.

I was glad to see Tyler walk out on Liz, but you know it won't stick.  Hope Bonnie makes it back soon.  The cuts between the different groups with their different dramas gave me whiplash. The director/editor/goddesses should have cut at least one of the stories and expanded on the Bonnie story.

Edited by Goldmoon
  • Love 2
I was really hoping he wouldn't. I know it's inevitable that they will get together but I don't want it to happen when Caroline is crying and upset about her mom.

You're right, that's true. But there was a moment where they laughed and stared at each other like it was about to happen before she started crying. I'm pretty sure it would have had she not. This IS quite an awkward for them to get together and I can bet that because Caroline overheard Stefan's promise to her mom, when he DOES realize/admit his feelings for her, she won't be receptive because she will believe he's doing it out of pity or obligation. 

What was the date in 1994?  It was the same as in 2012/13.  They just had Xmas, so they are now in 2013 in the real world, however when Bonnie drove away it looked as though it was autumn where she is.

It's always May 10, 1994 in Bonnie's world. She's keeping track of time in the real world by marking days off on a calendar (just like we were speculating when she knew it was Christmas), but the actual day never changes.

This episode was sort of high-highs and low-lows, for me. The lowest: Enzo. Fuck off, Enzo. Second-lowest: Delena. You know, "hanging a lampshade" on the fact that Vampire Elena is the worst doesn't actually make up for making her that way, writers. I wish I believed this was foreshadowing for developing her in some way, but I don't believe that at all. I think they got Damon and Elena back together and that's all they care about.

On to the high-highs. The highest: Kat Graham killing every one of her scenes. I cried every time she did, and hated all of her "friends" just a little bit more. Also, Steven McQueen did a really nice job in that scene next to the car. He had real emotion on his face and even managed to squeeze out a tear. Good for him. Second-highest: the Steroline chemistry in that near-kiss scene. Like @ElectricBoogaloo, I did not want them to kiss in that moment, but the fact that it seemed so close, on both sides, was enough for me. More showing, less talking about their feelings for each other.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 4

Oh yes, I forgot that Kai's smackdown of Elena made me smile.  She seems so oblivious to how she has changed.  I remember how, on TWoP in 2009, we were talking about how great it was that Elena was the anti-Bella Swan.  How times have changed. Was glad to see that Damon is aware of how Elena has changed and knows that the human Elena would have never chosen him. It would have been nice if this revelation had led to something other than falling into bed.  I guess this puts the Bamon hopes to bed forever, pun intended.

I had hoped that Bonnie would come back virtually the same, since I liked her in the first place, but if she is to become a bigger badass then let her start by killing Enzo.  Why doesn't Matt tell Stefen what he's up to?

• Love 2
More showing, less talking about their feelings for each other.

I'm so glad they're back to being friends and you're actually SEEING how they feel about each other and why it would work. He calms down her crazy and she makes him laugh. I know it was all part of their story and how they come to realize they have deeper feelings for each other, but for me, they just don't work as the "angsty couple". It damn near ruined them, because it was so unlike anything we've seen from them before. What made Steroline so cute, what makes them currently is so cute, is that they are just best friends who enjoy each other's company and somewhere deep down, maybe it's something more. If I never have to see them argue or walk away from each other again, I'll be just fine.

• Love 2

Boring episode, & please, please, please get rid of Enzo & whatever stupid plot you're trying to pull off show. Just because you can't think of what to do with Matt doesn't mean the viewers have to suffer.

I don't believe anything Kai says, he's trying to make it seem like he's got Luke in him, but I think he's just screwing with people.

• Love 1

You know, "hanging a lampshade" on the fact that Vampire Elena is the worst doesn't actually make up for making her that way, writers.

I'd say the fact that they hang a lampshade on their own terrible writing only makes it worse. If they didn't, it would be easy to simply go with Hanlon's Razor and assume they are bad writers and are too idiotic and full of themselves know it, but the fact that they do lampshade it only proves to us the viewers that they know perfectly well what awful writers they are and don't even care enough to bother trying to improve.

Edited by immortalfrieza
What was the date in 1994?  It was the same as in 2012/13.  They just had Xmas, so they are now in 2013 in the real world, however when Bonnie drove away it looked as though it was autumn where she is.
It's always May 10, 1994 in Bonnie's world. She's keeping track of time in the real world by marking days off on a calendar (just like we were speculating when she knew it was Christmas), but the actual day never changes.

The calendar that Bonnie was marking said it was February 5th. For the record, the calendar also said that there will be a full moon a week later on February 12th. I don't know if that matters since she was using a calendar from 1994, but I am really hoping they try to get her out again next week using Kai and the full moon.

This episode was sort of high-highs and low-lows, for me. The lowest: Enzo. Fuck off, Enzo. Second-lowest: Delena. You know, "hanging a lampshade" on the fact that Vampire Elena is the worst doesn't actually make up for making her that way, writers. I wish I believed this was foreshadowing for developing her in some way, but I don't believe that at all. I think they got Damon and Elena back together and that's all the care about.

This exactly.  Stop trying to justify it and just go with it.  The more they explain and examine it, the worst it is.  Elena has no positive memories of Damon, so how can she be analyzing how she felt when she left Stefan for him. If they want us to accept it or at least stop complaining about it, then just play it straight and leave the past in the past.

I don't believe anything Kai says, he's trying to make it seem like he's got Luke in him, but I think he's just screwing with people.

I wish they had at least tried to make this seem true.  Even just one tiny hint that Kai is playing the long con.  I wanna believe there is something else going on, but I've yet to see any proof of it.

I don't blame Liv for wanting revenge and not caring if she dies in the process, but is this the first time we have been told that if the leader of a coven dies then all the other witches in the coven die? I don't seem to recall that bit of information before.

I don't think it has been said before.  It's one of the things that I've been complaining about.  The merge was psychotic and no one would say why they couldn't just tell the coven to fuck off and die.... apparently it's because the "and die" was literal. But that information would have been helpful to know for those of us wonder what the fuck was wrong with these bastards.  And lest be honest "What the fuck is wrong with these bastards?" is not an unreasonable, or unlikely, question to ask about most Vampire Diaries characters, particularly the witches.

Oh yes, I forgot that Kai's smackdown of Elena made me smile.  She seems so oblivious to how she has changed.  I remember how, on TWoP in 2009, we were talking about how great it was that Elena was the anti-Bella Swan.  How times have changed. Was glad to see that Damon is aware of how Elena has changed and knows that the human Elena would have never chosen him. It would have been nice if this revelation had led to something other than falling into bed.  I guess this puts the Bamon hopes to bed forever, pun intended.

During Kai's "Vamp-Elena is the worst" all I was thinking was, "To night the voice of the audience will be played by Kai Parker."  But yeah, note to TPTB, saying it out loud doesn't make it okay assholes.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

I was hoping he would go in for the kiss. Maybe next week. :)

Yup next week, it's in the preview if you feel like swooning early. :)

I was holding out hope that it wouldn't happen, that they'd just stay friends, but it is what is.

I love that Jeremy took his wrinkled crumpled up art school application straight out of the trash and started filling it out instead of, you know, printing a new one.

Did Damon give Kai his blood because he didn't know if Jeremy was back from the 90s and didn't want to leave him trapped there (or did Damon and Elena even know that Kai had sent Jeremy back?)? Or was it because Kai is the only one with strong enough magic to help them contact Bonnie? I can't imagine it's because Damon is altruistic enough to be concerned with the entire Gemini coven dying if Kai dies.

Another detail they never really specifically discussed was that once the merge happened, Papa Porter would no longer be the head of the coven. I don't think they ever mentioned what it means to be the head of the coven either. Does Kai get to hold weekly meetings and charge annual dues? Does he have extra powers because he's the head of the coven? What happens if the coven members don't agree with him and disobey him? Does he get to do some kind of magical excommunication? And they've never talked about being in a coven vs. a witch like Bonnie who is covenless. It's the sixth season so you'd think they would have established some basic rules like that, but as usual it feels like they are just making crap up and pulling stuff out of their asses when it suits them.

• Love 1

I love that Jeremy took his wrinkled crumpled up art school application straight out of the trash and started filling it out instead of, you know, printing a new one.

I loved that as well.  I think I actually said to my friend, "Just what an admissions counselor wants to see."  Admittedly it shows he thought about it and deliberated and you do want your application to stand out, but no.

Another detail they never really specifically discussed was that once the merge happened, Papa Porter would no longer be the head of the coven. I don't think they ever mentioned what it means to be the head of the coven either. Does Kai get to hold weekly meetings and charge annual dues? Does he have extra powers because he's the head of the coven? What happens if the coven members don't agree with him and disobey him? Does he get to do some kind of magical excommunication? And they've never talked about being in a coven vs. a witch like Bonnie who is covenless. It's the sixth season so you'd think they would have established some basic rules like that, but as usual it feels like they are just making crap up and pulling stuff out of their asses when it suits them.

No meetings! [\Martin Blank]

I forgot to mention before, what the fuck was up with Caroline's digging?  Did she forget she has both super speed and super strength?  I mean, on the one hand I get her frustration with Stefan doing the BFF Watch&Mock; but on the other, she really shouldn't have required his help. 

Edited by RachelKM

You guys, I'm pretty sure Bonnie wants you to celebrate her birthday by getting her the fuck out of the isolated hell she's currently in instead of throwing another party to help yourselves feel better about your "friend" being trapped in an isolated hell.

Just sayin.

• Love 15

The only bright spots for me were Stefan and Caroline reconnecting as friends (and him refusing to help dig), Liv being stabbed with various eating utensils and getting thrown back hard from the fireplace bottle explosion, and Kai's musings on this thing called human emotions (and busting on Elena, hee).

Nothing against MM but Enzo adds nothing to the table anymore. Have him leave town, he can always return when JP and the writers know what to do with him.

Where the hell is Alaric??

• Love 1
Where the hell is Alaric??

Last week they said that he was Out of Town (a popular destination for parents on Pretty Little Liars) fetching some magical doohickey. I guess he's still off on that adventure. You'd think that one of them would have mentioned that he called and said he was sorry he couldn't get back in time for Bonnie's birthday party.

• Love 1

I wonder how they're going to play Bonnie/Jeremy when Bonnie comes back seeing as Jeremy is headed off to, uh, art school. I really hope they don't do the long distance thing where Bonnie pretends to talk to Jeremy on the phone for the 1 or 2 seconds of screen time she'll likely get upon her return.

This episode was sort of high-highs and low-lows, for me. The lowest: Enzo. Fuck off, Enzo. Second-lowest: Delena. You know, "hanging a lampshade" on the fact that Vampire Elena is the worst doesn't actually make up for making her that way, writers. I wish I believed this was foreshadowing for developing her in some way, but I don't believe that at all. I think they got Damon and Elena back together and that's all the care about.

On to the high-highs. The highest: Kat Graham killing every one of her scenes. I cried every time she did, and hated all of her "friends" just a little bit more. Also, Steven McQueen did a really nice job in that scene next to the car. He had real emotion on his face and even managed to squeeze out a tear. Good for him. Second-highest: the Steroline chemistry in that near-kiss scene. Like @ElectricBoogaloo, I did not want them to kiss in that moment, but the fact that it seemed so close, on both sides, was enough for me. More showing, less talking about their feelings for each other.

I was glad they actually acknowledged that Vampire Elena is the worse, but I hate how they made it sound like Human Elena was so good and pure, she was just as self-involved she just hide it better because she actually cared about people. Like you said though saying it doesn't actually absolve the writers of doing it unless they're just trying to tell us that was their game plan, to destory Elena Gilbert's character, in which case bravo! Kai can stay forever too if he's just going to throw shade at Elena and Delena the whole time "Oh Thank God! You two together, still totally revolting to me" HA!

The Stefan and Caroline stuff was the highlight of the episode for me. It was hilarious that he refused to dig and then proceeded to get drunk because he knew it would piss her off. I've always seen the chemistry between these two but this episode was the strongest for them IMO because it was clear that the feelings were mutual. Even as a stead-fast Steroline shipper who's been dying for a kiss already I didn't want it to happen last night, it wasn't the right time and I'm glad Caroline was the one to turn away.

Kat Graham was fire last night and it looks like Bonnie is going to get herself back to living and I hope she tells off all these jokers. Loved the end scene when she hoped in the camaro and put on her shades, Bonnie Bennett has had enough of your sh*t. I have to watch the episode again though because I didn't understand the signifigance of the map and Nova Scotia, what did Damon put there?

Oh and Tyler is hurts when someone chooses revenge over you doesn't it?

• Love 1

When Jeremy and Kai went back to the 90s, I had this moment where I thought Kai had succeeded in playing them all. Jeremy found the atlas and Kai was just skulking in the background. When Jeremy suddenly dropped the atlas, I thought oh crap, Kai was looking for this other magic source all along and now he's going to attack Jeremy and escape with this all important information about Nova Scotia? But then I realized that Kai came to Damon and Elena to ask them to give Jo a letter so he couldn't have known they were going to go this route.

Don't get me wrong - I am all for evil Kai because he's hilarious but I was glad that Kai's new feelings and willingness to help in exchange for having his letter delivered was not an elaborate ruse. I wonder if he is just feeling a rush of emotions via Luke because the merge just happened and that over time the feelings will lessen and he will more or less be Kai but with occasional moments of guilt or sadness.

Hee, I loved that Damon took advantage of Kai's heightened sense of guilt and sadness to go on and on about how it was Bonnie's birthday and she was all alone in the 90s to convince him to agree to their terms.

Kai can stay forever if he keeps doing things like exclaiming, "Yum, cupcakes!" and then proceeding to lick the frosting off his fingers while he speechifies.

Loved Bonnie listening to Ice Cube while she made her breakfast. That's definitely breakfast music. Her outfit was totally 90s too. That scoop necked leotard top was spot on. If only it had been made of crushed velvet! As much as I want Bonnie to finally get the hell out of there, I will really miss the 90s music they have been choosing. I hope we continue to get 90s songs as episode titles for the rest of the season!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I find myself cringing every time Elena speaks or smiles or breathes.  A little self awareness could do wonders for the character.  In that same wheelhouse I think that’s what saved the character of Caroline.  She knows she neurotic and judgmental…. And it endears the character to the audience.

So I guess this is how they plan on redeeming Kai… Not sure how I feel about it but I LOVE him calling Elena out.  If he does that every episode he can stay forever!

“You two together is still totally revolting to me. Finally a familiar feeling! ”  Yes Kai! Welcome to my world every Thursday night at 8.

By the way, why is Damon saving Kai?

While I’ve gotten somewhat tired of the constant Caroline/Stefan scenes, I will say the two were on this episode.
I’m still not really on board with them romantically but the characters bring out the best in each other’s personality.

While I like Michael Trevino I’m pretty sure he only has 3 possibly 4  expressions in his acting arsenal.

Enzo… Am I supposed to understand his motivations?
I mean this is about Damon? The same Damon that he has not shared a scene with this season??

• Love 2

I wonder how they're going to play Bonnie/Jeremy when Bonnie comes back seeing as Jeremy is headed off to, uh, art school. I really hope they don't do the long distance thing where Bonnie pretends to talk to Jeremy on the phone for the 1 or 2 seconds of screen time she'll likely get upon her return.

They'll have more deep expository conversations via the new Nokia Fire or Wifi booster or whatever the new thing is the kids are into these days.

Edited by Smug47
  • Love 1

They did mention last week that if the leader of the coven dies, they all die. Liv and Luke's dad said it in his fight with Tyler and Liv. So they established that then, at least, if not earlier in the season. I honestly couldn't care less if that whole coven died because they seem horrible, so I don't pay close attention to their scenes.

• Love 3

I was holding out hope that it wouldn't happen, that they'd just stay friends, but it is what is.

Agree agree!  Why does everyone have to hook up anyway?  I usually ship just about everybody but I just don't on Stefan and Caroline. Honestly think they are better/cuter as friends.

Kai continues to crack me up even "slightly" good.  And is it bad I wanted him to light Liv on fire?

• Love 3

Agree agree!  Why does everyone have to hook up anyway?  I usually ship just about everybody but I just don't on Stefan and Caroline. Honestly think they are better/cuter as friends.

As much as I try I genuinely cannot for the life of me understand this sentiment.

Caroline has had a crush on Stefan since the pilot episode. There's always been an underlying tension between them. I guess if you prefer them as friends, you prefer sexually frustrated friends who have a secret thing for each other. Stefan was totally hung up on Elena - remember, this is a guy who has only been in love with two girls in 150 years, both of which look exactly the same and share the same personality, only with Catherine being the more mature and honest of them - but notice how quick he was to start flirting with her when he lost his memories of that unfortunate history? This pairing has had an excessively long build-up and in all honesty it is completely incredible how they haven't even shared a kiss yet.

• Love 3

As much as I try I genuinely cannot for the life of me understand this sentiment.

Caroline has had a crush on Stefan since the pilot episode. There's always been an underlying tension between them. I guess if you prefer them as friends, you prefer sexually frustrated friends who have a secret thing for each other. Stefan was totally hung up on Elena - remember, this is a guy who has only been in love with two girls in 150 years, both of which look exactly the same and share the same personality, only with Catherine being the more mature and honest of them - but notice how quick he was to start flirting with her when he lost his memories of that unfortunate history? This pairing has had an excessively long build-up and in all honesty it is completely incredible how they haven't even shared a kiss yet.

Responding in the Relationship Thread...

Ha remember when they were shilling something similar when Bonnie was in that abandoned house? Nothing beats the car commercials though. "Wow, you can listen to any song AND track your gas mileage?"

They're not even subtle about it, either. "Hey, Elena's trapped in this cave, I'm going to FaceTime with her on my new Apple phone so that I can figure out what to do next!" They've always done it, but the last couple of seasons it's gotten bizarrely in-your-face. Maybe it's some sort of meta commentary.

I thought this was fun. 

Was afraid of a newly de-fanged Kai - and he kinda is - but at the same time, he couldn`t stay the completely sociopathic villain forever. That would have gotten one-note fast. The new "Lukai" can be much richer as a character.

I had no problem with Live`s desire for revenge in general. And while I get why Tyler felt angry and betrayed, it`s not like the gang happily turns the other cheek when someone harms one of their own AND they are the only ones who keep getting people back. 

Felt really sorry for Bonnie. At this point, it`s ridiculous how long they`ve basically done nothing. Lets throw a party in honour of her birthday? Are you freaking kidding me? You can do that for the dead or maybe the missing (as in noone knows where they are and even extensive search yielded no results, they KNOW where Bonnie is).

Damon taking out Liv via the booze bottle through the fireplace was a pretty ingenous move. Loved it. Also his reaction shots and/or physical pose when Kai went into his initial spiel about guilt and all, that was hilarious. He looked like a mixture between frustration and utter disbelief.

Steroline were cute together. I thought they had chemistry in previous years when they tentatively set them up but at the start of this Season, their scenes were awkward. And not only in the "meant to be awkward" but the "you two have no sparks whatsoever" way. That was odd.

Kai lampshading Vampire!Elena? Eh, I felt it didn`t mean much because a) it came from Kai who is a sociopath so hardly the one to cast moral judgments and b) it came from Kai aka the guy who never ever met human Elena so his deductions are completely invalid.

He went off hearsay from Damon who apparently phrased it in his typical "she had to turn horrible to be with me" way. And while the show went there LOTS in Season 5, I always felt it was too simplistic.

Elena used to be a much better character but I didn`t enjoy the "holier than thou" enabling she and Stefan did to each other, not one bit. There are valid points to be made about Vampire!Elena losing her way as a character but if someone makes them, then that needs to be a person who fucking knew Elena before and after. Preferably not Damon who still puts her on a pedestal in some way. Stefan stopped doing that since he fell out of love for her and he is better for it.  

• Love 2

Enzo… Am I supposed to understand his motivations?

I mean this is about Damon? The same Damon that he has not shared a scene with this season??

While I agree with that.  I don't think it's about Damon, despite what he keeps saying.  He wants to screw Stefan over and is using Damon to do so.  Because he thinks Damon will lose his shit and scorn Stefan when he finds out Sarah's alive.  What would be a nice twist is if Damon remembered all the shit Stefan's done for him in the past, was reminded of Stefan's face when he returned from being "dead" and told Enzo to take a flying leap.

I'm not holding my breath that that will happen.  We haven't had any brotherly strife in awhile, methinks this is what the writers are going to use to create some.

@Aeryn13, I always seem to enjoy your posts, and I find that I agree with you more often that not, and this one was no exception.

I can't wait for Bonnie to come back home, she will be different, she has to be, this experience will have changed her no doubt, much like all the drama has/is changing all of them. They will never be the same naiive teenagers they were a few years ago, too much has happened and they have all suffered horrible things. I like that they all tried to hold to themselves for a while, but the truth is they have turned into beings capable of terrible acts when threatened, hurt or grieving.

I liked Jer getting in his last hurrah, and trying to get Bonnie back before packing up his easel and getting out of dodge, I just wish we could have seen more from him in that vein rather what we did get with him.

I enjoyed every Damon scene, he was so on his game this week. No matter what is going on around him, he is always the one thinking clearly in these moments to actually move towards his goals. The map, the alcohol in the fire, using Kai and his new found emotions were genius- TY Bonnie. I hope they continue with their friendship when she returns, and throws some shade at those who deserve it for not lifting a damn finger to help her, or even enquire about her after all she did for them- looking at you Tyler, Alaric and Caroline (before her moms illness).

I actually liked that he still has this deep belief that Elena probably wouldn't be with him if she hadn't been turned, because he doesn't know any different. Elena has never admitted to him or herself (until Alaric forced it out of her), that she was in love with him as a human. I thought is was a good thread of continuity.

Kai continues to entertain, his new found empathy is going to drive him even crazier, just too funny, but his comments on Elena and DE are a bit eyebrow raising in their absurdity, but whatever, I am used to this show having random villains having a negative opinion of Damon, Elena and their relationship. Same crap different day, it won't make a difference.

Steroline was better this week, but I often find my mind wandering during their scenes, and they seem so separate from the main story line now that it is becoming a bit strange.

• Love 2

Honestly I loved the Steroline scenes this episode. That "gravity" in the near-kiss scene, the smile on her face when her back was to him, the "two glasses of bourbon", all was great. Candice is just so damn good at emoting and selling the vibes of that relationship is straight up her alley, much more so than for Paul.

I actually liked that he still has this deep belief that Elena probably wouldn't be with him if she hadn't been turned, because he doesn't know any different. Elena has never admitted to him or herself (until Alaric forced it out of her), that she was in love with him as a human. I thought is was a good thread of continuity.

Kai continues to entertain, his new found empathy is going to drive him even crazier, just too funny, but his comments on Elena and DE are a bit eyebrow raising in their absurdity, but whatever, I am used to this show having random villains having a negative opinion of Damon, Elena and their relationship. Same crap different day, it won't make a difference.

Steroline was better this week, but I often find my mind wandering during their scenes, and they seem so separate from the main story line now that it is becoming a bit strange.

I liked this too. And I thought what Elena was trying to tell Damon is no matter WHAT happens or is thrown in there in the end she always ends up loving Damon the most. She was telling him yes I picked Stefan but if history keeps bringing me to you no matter what then who's to say even if I didn't become a vampire I still wouldn't have ended up wanting you anyway.

I thought the same thing about Caroline and Stefan. It's not like I don't think they have chemistry b/c they do.  It just seems so weird. I mean the whole thing was so predictable, I knew what was going to happen with them before it did. My mind turns off when they are on b/c it isn't really connected to everything else.

• Love 1