Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: The King of Columbus Circle

What appears to be the dead body of an ordinary old man turns out to be of royal lineage with an unusual connection to Henry. A familiar scar and radioactive poison point Henry and Jo to the man being an assassinated king in exile. Moreover, a half century earlier, Henry remembers performing an emergency life-saving operation on a boy while on his honeymoon with Abigail. The boy turned out to be a prince of a tiny crumbling kingdom. Life came full circle as the boy grew up to be a king -- and now, the murder victim lying in Henry's morgue. The mystery deepens when other members of this royal family are poisoned and it is revealed that the king has an heir. Meanwhile, Abe continues to investigate his roots and discovers something amazing about his bloodline.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Awwww, I loved the breakfast scene with Abe and Henry. Their little routine with the toast and the butter shows how long they have been together which I found sweet, even before the started talking about being each other's family. So sweet that Abe later discovered that he and Henry are actually related.

On a shallow note, I loved Abigail's hat on the train.

Dude! What kind of guy would shoot a baby? I know, I know, a bad guy, OBVIOUSLY.

• Love 7

Something about this episode really worked.  A little cheese, but I think in a place where it worked.  A little cliche, but not out of proportion.  But it had tons of really great character moments, and while the mystery aspect was pretty threadbare, it was really just a framework this time around for the character stuff.

• Love 6

Most people with European ancestry really are descendants of Charlemagne.  He lived about 1200 years ago and had 18 children.  In genealogical circles he is sometimes called "Chuck the Prolific."  I liked the reminder that all people are related, even if we can't find out exactly how.

• Love 5

Wow!!!! Another great episode. I loved last week's episode too.  I love how excited Abe is to find out he has relatives. Abe and Henry ARE related!!!! Which made me cry! So are they cousins?   Man we have 3 more months left. Time is going by so fast! Does anybody know about the petition going around facebook to save the show? I signed it. Not really sure it will help at all.

• Love 5

Awwww, I loved the breakfast scene with Abe and Henry. Their little routine with the toast and the butter shows how long they have been together which I found sweet, even before the started talking about being each other's family....

Yes. Loved it. And then when Abe told Henry they were blood relations: tears.
  • Love 2

Awww Henry and Abe are related and were so cute at breakfast. I also like how Lucas was eating with Jo and Hanson at the end.

I hope ABC keeps the show and do the Shield/Agent Carter schedule with Castle/Forever and possibly show the 2nd half of the Forever season in the summer.

• Love 5

Did I somehow miss an episode or scene where Henry told Jo about Abigail, or did it happen offscreen? I was like "Wait, when did he tell her?" I was confused. 

I did enjoy this episode. Loved the bit at the end when Henry tucked Abe in. I felt like the stuff with Abigail cut off abruptly and I was waiting to find out why they never had a baby when it seemed like they were going to try.

Henry and Abigail have good chemistry together.

I loved how Hanson actually liked the Yak stew but Jo wouldn't touch it and Lucas clearly didn't like the way it tasted.

• Love 2

Did I somehow miss an episode or scene where Henry told Jo about Abigail, or did it happen offscreen? I was like "Wait, when did he tell her?" I was confused.

I'd have to rewatch the earliest episodes, but I think he told her bare basics - that he'd loved someone named Abigail once upon a time - but didn't get into details because he's Henry and still keeps most of his past to himself because he's not ready to tell Jo everything. I think he might have told her about Abigail to let Jo know that in his own way he understood the loss of her husband.

I continue to love all the flashbacks to Henry's past, and the enrichment of his relationship with Abe. That breakfast scene, and the way they both noticed that the other might find it difficult and want to be sensitive about Abe seeking out his biological parents, and the way Henry tucked him in at the end... just all so heartwarming and sweet. 

And I liked Jo and Henry in this episode, and how adorable they both were with that baby. I don't usually like it when a show hits me over the head with 'oh, look, our lead characters belong together and here's them with a baby or with someone who tells them they look like they're dating, etc.' but I think the writers have managed to not force that with this show, and I appreciate it. I like the development of their relationship.

Thank goodness that man did not hurt that baby! That would have been too much for me. I knew they wouldn't go there but just seeing him looming over the poor kid made me very nervous. The vulnerability of the baby and the threat of it alone was terrifying.

One thing that made me curious: if the wife was poisoned via her tea, wouldn't Henry have been poisoned too? I assume they were drinking the same tea together. Unless only her cup had been touched in the kitchen, but there would be no way of knowing which cup she or Henry might take if she brought both of them out to the living room on a tray or something. So I thought that was a little off. But still pretty exciting, to see Henry in action as a doctor.

Side note: Lucas cracked me up a lot in this episode. "Booyah! Oh, you're talking to Henry..."  Heee.

I loved how Hanson actually liked the Yak stew but Jo wouldn't touch it and Lucas clearly didn't like the way it tasted.

Agreed! I thought out of the three of them, Hanson would be the picky one. He's so crabby and stubborn sometimes, LOL, I'd think he wouldn't like trying odd foods. So it was funny that he actually liked it while Jo and Lucas refused at first smell. *GRIN*

• Love 2

And I liked Jo and Henry in this episode, and how adorable they both were with that baby. I don't usually like it when a show hits me over the head with 'oh, look, our lead characters belong together and here's them with a baby or with someone who tells them they look like they're dating, etc.' but I think the writers have managed to not force that with this show, and I appreciate it. I like the development of their relationship.

Henry's face when he found Jo holding the baby was perfect. Ioan nailed that. It was full of caring and love without being over the top. I totally believe their connection without the show writing anything over the top because Ioan and Alana nail the little moments. I know on procedurals this sort of thing gets dragged out for years and years but we probably don't have that kind of time, so I'd like to see them get together before the year is up. I tend to think that this show and these actors could make the relationship work if it did get a second season.

• Love 4

How is this show so good? Is it the writing? The acting? The production? I don't know. But I love it all out of proportion with the rational facts.

That bag of stomach contents had me gagging while I watched. Shudder.

It's been a while since Henry died/was reborn in the river. It used to happen at least once an episode, and often more. I don't mind, I just think it's interesting that they changed how much they used that device.

I have nothing more  to add to what others have said, but I agree with everyone about the greatness of the various moments.

I also wondered about the poisoned tea, and why Henry was not affected. Did he not take a sip yet?

I thought it was interesting that they had the royals be brutal rulers and legitimately hated, but still treated them as sympathetic characters who were gentle and kind to those they perceived as friends.

• Love 4

Thank you, sonyab.  I found a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/ForeverOnABC  but I don't see a petition.  And yes, Henry and Abe are cousins, several times removed.

The petition is here. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/551/491/327/tell-abc-reschedule-and-renew-forever/?taf_id=13348024&cid=fb_na# They are close to 3,000.  Awwww Henry and Abe are cousins! Well, cousins AND father and son, since Henry raised him. :)

Yes. Loved it. And then when Abe told Henry they were blood relations: tears.

Yeah! What a great surprise!!!! :)

• Love 2

One thing that made me curious: if the wife was poisoned via her tea, wouldn't Henry have been poisoned too? I assume they were drinking the same tea together. Unless only her cup had been touched in the kitchen, but there would be no way of knowing which cup she or Henry might take if she brought both of them out to the living room on a tray or something.

I thought they were very careful not to show Henry taking a sip yet. I don't have it recorded, but my memory was it went something like this: she hands him his tea, the other two have their cardboard coffee and say no thank you. She sips. Hand shakes. He pauses from what would've been a sip to be alarmed by her hand shaking. She gets shakier and stands up. It dawns on him what is happening (possibly he also sniffs the tea somewhere in there?); she rants about not killing her husband, diamonds, kings, queens, falls over. Henry gets up in doctor mode and calls for tubing.

The very last scene actually put it over the top for me. Too saccharine and bugged me. Maybe it was also because we've seen no indication that Henry is Jewish, only that Abe is? And in the earlier interaction when Abe was speculating about who he might be related to Henry was all "I don't think any of them were Jewish" which made it extra clunk at the end that, tadaa, they're related. I mean I realize if you go back far enough, everyone is. And I get that's what they were going for. But it still bothered me for two reasons: 1) it was way too convenient that the common ancestor was someone Henry knew. Knew of, I'd be OK with, but knew personally, I feel like they didn't go back far enough and it was just too convenient. I mean he's not as old as Adam. No matter what Jo said about "10 lifetimes" at this point, Henry's really only had about three. 2) it sort of undermined all the lovely work they did establishing that they were real family and didn't need a blood connection to prove it and whatnot. I had originally appreciated the tone they'd taken with Abe wanted to know about his birth family but also that not meaning he didn't love, appreciate, or consider Henry and Abigail his "real" parents. So the need to tie the two together and the jumping up and down at the end was not sweet to me.

• Love 2

My issue with the poison was that it was supposed to be some sort of radioactive chemical or something, right? From what I understand of that type of poison, once the radiation damage is done, it can't really be undone. So even if they removed it from her system, if she was already sick from it like that, I don't think it would have saved her. I could be wrong of course, but I do suspect it was a bit of bad science there.

• Love 1
So the need to tie the two together and the jumping up and down at the end was not sweet to me.

That disappointed me, too. Abe is every bit Henry's son without a blood tie. I think it's really unnecessary to link them biologically, too.

I was also disappointed with the nurse's "Oh, your baby is so cute!" comment and Jo and Henry scrambling to put her straight. Ugh. Though I loved the baby's bald spot in back. So cute!

Edited by dubbel zout

Great episode. This is such a fun quirky show and the main characters are awesome. Love the comfort level and connection and camraderie between Jo and Henry. They work so well together, and are good for each other. I wasn't a fan of "Oh look, pretty lady is holding a baby - suddenly she's so much more attractive." *hearteyes*. Its just not a trope I like - hate actually. But still a really cute scene.

Lucas is one of my favourites. He started off as annoying at times, but he really is such a lively fun quirky person, that provides some humour.

And Abe and Henry have such a good relationship. Kudos to the actors for conveying this so well, even though there is the age difference that might make it hard to look past. In this case, it works well.

I really hope they renew. It's such a fun show and really growing into it's own.

• Love 6
I could be wrong of course, but I do suspect it was a bit of bad science there.

You're not wrong.  Polonium poisoning takes a while, weeks certainly, to kill.  Also, vomiting up the tea might help a little but probably not much.  What would really have happened: the king would have died considerably worse for wear and in agony, the restaurant (not to mention the sewage system in the king's apt building) would be a hazmat zone, and the FBI at the least would have gotten into it.  

Not for nothing but polonium has very few industrial uses - somebody would have been very curious as to where the assassin got some.  It was why (as is my understanding) that nobody doubted russian involvement when Litvinenko was killed - where else is somebody gonna get Po 210?  It has a half-life of like 3 months so your sample needs to be pretty 'new' so to speak, which is also why it's so dangerous - it cooks off pretty fast.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 3

I thought they were very careful not to show Henry taking a sip yet. I don't have it recorded, but my memory was it went something like this: she hands him his tea, the other two have their cardboard coffee and say no thank you. She sips. Hand shakes. He pauses from what would've been a sip to be alarmed by her hand shaking. She gets shakier and stands up. It dawns on him what is happening (possibly he also sniffs the tea somewhere in there?); she rants about not killing her husband, diamonds, kings, queens, falls over. Henry gets up in doctor mode and calls for tubing.The very last scene actually put it over the top for me. Too saccharine and bugged me. Maybe it was also because we've seen no indication that Henry is Jewish, only that Abe is? And in the earlier interaction when Abe was speculating about who he might be related to Henry was all "I don't think any of them were Jewish" which made it extra clunk at the end that, tadaa, they're related. I mean I realize if you go back far enough, everyone is. And I get that's what they were going for. But it still bothered me for two reasons: 1) it was way too convenient that the common ancestor was someone Henry knew. Knew of, I'd be OK with, but knew personally, I feel like they didn't go back far enough and it was just too convenient. I mean he's not as old as Adam. No matter what Jo said about "10 lifetimes" at this point, Henry's really only had about three. 2) it sort of undermined all the lovely work they did establishing that they were real family and didn't need a blood connection to prove it and whatnot. I had originally appreciated the tone they'd taken with Abe wanted to know about his birth family but also that not meaning he didn't love, appreciate, or consider Henry and Abigail his "real" parents. So the need to tie the two together and the jumping up and down at the end was not sweet to me.

Even though I loved the reveal, I too had a moment of, "Seriously?" But it was quickly overshadowed for me by the emotion protrayed by the actors.
  • Love 3

I just loved this episode!  The actually case was secondary to the further developments of our core characters.  We got to see more of Henry and Abigail, and then the reveal of Abe's background and his search for his relatives.  

This show is great and it will be a shame if ABC cancels it.  I am not holding my breathe though.  ABC always cancels the good ones.

Another great episode.  I loved the flashback portion with Henry and Abigail on the Orient Express.  The present-time story was also good.  The chemistry with the cast is great.  I love all of the interactions with all of the characters, especially Henry and Abe, Henry and Jo, and Henry and Lucas.

You know when you have great characters? When I have the biggest grin on my face when Abe was telling Henry they were related. These are fictional characters and I was so happy for them. 

I was also confused in when Henry told Jo about Abigail being his wife. I think I remember him telling her loved a woman named Abigail. I always figured he tell Jo that he lost his wife, but that never happened on screen. 

All these characters are great, I don't dislike a single one of them. I just their interactions, not many shows are doing that nowadays they are just interested in the shock value. This show's shock is mostly how gross Lucas and Henry can be when they are working on the victims. 

• Love 4

Maybe it was also because we've seen no indication that Henry is Jewish, only that Abe is? And in the earlier interaction when Abe was speculating about who he might be related to Henry was all "I don't think any of them were Jewish" which made it extra clunk at the end that, tadaa, they're related.

Judaism is matrilineal, and they made a point of the link to Henry being male. So as far as Abe's Judaism is concerned, Uncle Dennis is irrelevant. Only his mistress, Rachel or Chava or whoever, affects Abe's line. Now, her having a child by a Christian she wasn't married to is complicated, to say the least, w/r/t the society of the day, and I'm curious how the situation was taken care of (married off to an understanding member of the congregation? Shipped away to a different town to start over a "widow"? Just a single mom rebel on her own?), but Henry and Abe being related would only strain believablity, not his Jewish heritage.

I agree, and I also liked that they avoided the usual, "oh no, I couldn't possibly hold him, babies are scary!" from either of them. Jo looked so happy and comfortable, and Henry was like, "ooh, baby, gimme!" Awww.

• Love 4

if the wife was poisoned via her tea, wouldn't Henry have been poisoned too?

We were shown Henry blowing on the tea to cool it before he was distracted by the Queen's distress. No sipping.

Nit to pick: No train, even one as luxurious as the Orient Express, has spacious bedrooms, where there is room to bring in a meal for visiting kings!. OMG, so not even close. You could watch this to see how it really looks. Watch and be amazed.

I too was stunned the bad guy would consider shooting the baby. Babies are pretty easy to kill quietly, if you have to kill a baby at all. I mean, not that I have any first hand experience in the matter! I don't! Honest!

• Love 6

As a side note, after the revolutions of 1989, ALL the former Kings and Crown Princes tried to come back home and all but one were treated with disdain and contempt (the exception was the former boy king of Bulgaria, who was elected Prime Minister, and is NOW treated with disdain and contempt), but nobody tried to hurt them or anything. The locals considered them jokes.

• Love 2

Judaism is matrilineal, and they made a point of the link to Henry being male. So as far as Abe's Judaism is concerned, Uncle Dennis is irrelevant. Only his mistress, Rachel or Chava or whoever, affects Abe's line. Now, her having a child by a Christian she wasn't married to is complicated, to say the least, w/r/t the society of the day, and I'm curious how the situation was taken care of (married off to an understanding member of the congregation? Shipped away to a different town to start over a "widow"? Just a single mom rebel on her own?), but Henry and Abe being related would only strain believablity, not his Jewish heritage.

It may or may not fit in this case from what we were told, but historically there's a certain amount of intermixing because... well... to be frank, the reason many Jews might have an Anglo ancestor is for a similar reason to why most African-Americans do--rape.  While not slaves per se unless you go back to ancient times, nevertheless the Jews were a constant target of "you can do anything you want to them and nobody will really raise a fuss" logic for at least 500 years in Europe, so there's that.

• Love 4
That bag of stomach contents had me gagging while I watched. Shudder.

Especially sine it looks like the Minestrone soup I make.

So the show is being canceled?  I hope that Abe calls Henry "Dad" once before the end.

I realized last night that Henry's British wife was Rapunzel in "Into the Woods."

• Love 1

It may or may not fit in this case from what we were told, but historically there's a certain amount of intermixing because... well... to be frank, the reason many Jews might have an Anglo ancestor is for a similar reason to why most African-Americans do--rape. .

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea where my father's blue eyes came from, but I'm glad Henry wasn't related to pillaging Cossacks. This isn't that kind of show.

Agreed! I thought out of the three of them, Hanson would be the picky one. He's so crabby and stubborn sometimes, LOL, I'd think he wouldn't like trying odd foods. So it was funny that he actually liked it while Jo and Lucas refused at first smell. *GRIN*

And I was getting more of a Joey Tribbiani vibe from him-- all, "sure, why not, it's food."

I felt the disappointment that being related by blood was somehow important to Henry and Abe, since one of the things I love about this show is that there is just such a clear familial bond between them, without needing it to be based on blood. It's a tribute to the actors that I could appreciate the emotion in the scene, despite my dismay that they were undermining one of the things I love about the show, by implying a genetic link somehow made something more of their connection.

The scene with Henry and Jo and the baby was similar in that usually I am not a fan of babies being used to highlight attractiveness or enhance chemistry on TV. But Henry and Jo already have a strong enough connection that I didn't feel like that scene was setting up anything new, it was just the two of them sharing something from a mutual like of it, not that the baby itself was opening any new channels between them.

Predictions that the show will be cancelled are because the ratings are really quite dismal:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/10/abc-predictions-fresh-off-the-boat-starts-fine-but-the-real-test-is-tuesday/358877/

I'm quite sad about it. I think the show could catch on if people gave it a chance. I can't say I blame people who may have thought it sounded like a boring premise, recycled from other shows. But the execution really elevates it, and I think it's appealing enough to do well in  syndication if only it got a chance... which I guess I don't really think it will. I hope I'm wrong, though. And I did sign the petition!

ETA:

I'm glad Henry wasn't related to pillaging Cossacks.

They were slave traders, though.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Keep in mind that Abe could be wrong in some of his assumptions about his lineage. It didn't look like he hired a professional genealogist to track his family line, and there could have been mistakes. Maybe finding a link to Henry's family was wishful thinking. That said, sometimes it is cool to find out you are related to someone you like.

They had some genealogy show and it turned out that Matt Damon is a distant cousin of Ben Affleck. They were already really close, but Matt though it was very cool that they were actually related.

shapeshifter, its interesting you mentioned that Henry died trying to save someone. I wonder if Adam also died while trying to save someone. 

• Love 1

...shapeshifter, its interesting you mentioned that Henry died trying to save someone. I wonder if Adam also died while trying to save someone.

Possibly, but I have been wondering if Adam is more of the mirror image of Henry--like having to live forever with a bad decision--or something.

Keep in mind that Abe could be wrong in some of his assumptions about his lineage. It didn't look like he hired a professional genealogist to track his family line, and there could have been mistakes. Maybe finding a link to Henry's family was wishful thinking. That said, sometimes it is cool to find out you are related to someone you like.

They had some genealogy show and it turned out that Matt Damon is a distant cousin of Ben Affleck. They were already really close, but Matt though it was very cool that they were actually related.

shapeshifter, its interesting you mentioned that Henry died trying to save someone. I wonder if Adam also died while trying to save someone. 

Yeah, with genealogy, once you get to the early 1800s, it becomes a bit spotty.

Abe's parents might've been listed on some websites due to being Holocaust victims, as the Nazi's were rather good record keepers. There are some records of individuals living in Germany pre-WW2, but not much, a large chunk of them got destroyed during the massive amount of bombings during WW2.

Maybe his parents and his father's parents were taken to the same camp - so he'd know their names, so he might be able to find them on a census, depending on where they came from.

Or perhaps the person with the surname Weinrab that Abe contacted had already done research, and had a tree back that far to link to Henry's uncle.

• Love 1

One of my favorite parts of the episode was Hanson pretending he had acquired Henry's keen observation skills, when in fact it was just good old fashion police work. Looking at the medical bracelet and calling the King's oncologist. Checking credit card statements and finishing name of Urkesh restaurant .

Are we to assume Abigail wasn't able to have children? We know Henry had children with his first wife (unless she was having an affair and that is why she left him to rot in the insane asylum).

• Love 1

One of my favorite parts of the episode was Hanson pretending he had acquired Henry's keen observation skills, when in fact it was just good old fashion police work. Looking at the medical bracelet and calling the King's oncologist. Checking credit card statements and finishing name of Urkesh restaurant .

Are we to assume Abigail wasn't able to have children? We know Henry had children with his first wife (unless she was having an affair and that is why she left him to rot in the insane asylum).

It could be that whatever happened to Henry to make him immortal is why he couldn't have children with Abigail... he comes back to life over and over again, and doesn't age... there could be some other consequences of that like infertility.

• Love 1

I don't know about Duncan (it's been ages since I've seen that show) but for Angel it made sense because as a vampire his physical body is not really alive (no heartbeat, no pulse) so I'd think his all bodily fluids would be kind of at a standstill? Then again he was able to bleed, wasn't he? Hmm... time to rewatch my DVDs! ;)

• Love 1

Right now on Helix (not sure why I'm still watching or for how long) the immortal Sarah has been pregnant for about a year and a half (in plot time, not airing time) because the embryo/fetus hasn't aged. Morning sickness for 15 or more months so far. Seriously. Why am I watching? Anyway, if we apply this bio-rationale to Forever-verse, the only way it would prevent Henry and Abigail from having a child is if a) Abigail is also immortal, or b) Henry's offspring don't age after conception.

Right now on Helix (not sure why I'm still watching or for how long) the immortal Sarah has been pregnant for about a year and a half (in plot time, not airing time) because the embryo/fetus hasn't aged. Morning sickness for 15 or more months so far. Seriously. Why am I watching? Anyway, if we apply this bio-rationale to Forever-verse, the only way it would prevent Henry and Abigail from having a child is if a) Abigail is also immortal, or b) Henry's offspring don't age after conception.

I'm guessing Henry didn't want to have a child because he would have to see them die while he stayed forever young. His children would have to either lead complicated lives when they grew up (either never introducing their family to Henry, or telling different people different stories about who Henry is) or like Abe, never get married, just have dalliances their entire lives.