Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: The King of Columbus Circle

I'm guessing Henry didn't want to have a child because he would have to see them die while he stayed forever young. His children would have to either lead complicated lives when they grew up (either never introducing their family to Henry, or telling different people different stories about who Henry is)....

This is what I assumed until this episode, when I thought they were making it clear that Henry decided to have a child. No?
  • Love 2

But Abe was married. Jane Seymour guest-starred as his (twice) ex-wife.

Ack. I knew it was something like that!

I've been sick the last few days and the meds are messing with my head. Last night, forgot to take my breathing meds at a reasonable time, so I was a bit loopy from all of the wheezing :P

This is what I assumed until this episode, when I thought they were making it clear that Henry decided to have a child. No?

Perhaps something happened in the intervening time that made one, or both of the, change their minds - or perhaps Abigail was infertile?

Technically, the illegitimate daughter of a King would not be a princess. Just thought I'd point that out.

The very last scene actually put it over the top for me. Too saccharine and bugged me. Maybe it was also because we've seen no indication that Henry is Jewish, only that Abe is?

Henry wouldn't need to be Jewish or even have any Jewish ancestors to be related to Abe. The connection is evidently quite distant, starting with an uncle of Henry's and an out of wedlock child. Who knows how far down the tree from that child Abe can directly trace his ancestry to. I don't think he's meant to be a direct descendant of Henry's uncle. 

However, I agree with your larger point, it's unnecessary and too much of a stretch.

Henry wouldn't need to be Jewish or even have any Jewish ancestors to be related to Abe. The connection is evidently quite distant, starting with an uncle of Henry's and an out of wedlock child.

Just to clarify, yes I get all that. My quarrel there was partly that they bothered to have Henry point out, in response to Abe's earlier imagining suggestions, that none of said suggestions were Jewish people. Which, as we all know, does not rule them out from being very distant relatives. So in addition to being a clunky and stretch reveal at the end, it was almost as though they threw that line in just to contrast with the later "guess what, we are". Like, did we really need a misdirect there on 12th cousins 5x removed or whatever they are? No we sure didn't, but then they bothered to put one in anyway. If that weren't the point of that line, I don't think it had one, which bugs me as well.

Just to clarify, yes I get all that. My quarrel there was partly that they bothered to have Henry point out, in response to Abe's earlier imagining suggestions, that none of said suggestions were Jewish people. Which, as we all know, does not rule them out from being very distant relatives. So in addition to being a clunky and stretch reveal at the end, it was almost as though they threw that line in just to contrast with the later "guess what, we are". Like, did we really need a misdirect there on 12th cousins 5x removed or whatever they are? No we sure didn't, but then they bothered to put one in anyway. If that weren't the point of that line, I don't think it had one, which bugs me as well.

I think the point of the line is to give voice to what a lot of people would say when it is suggested that a Gentile and a Jew might be distantly related. Why else have the line? Right?

Why make them related in the first place? I was so disappointed the show went there. Henry and Abe are already father and son in every way that counts. Giving them a biological link doesn't change that. It doesn't strengthen it, either, IMO. Why, Show?

• Love 2

Why make them related in the first place? I was so disappointed the show went there. Henry and Abe are already father and son in every way that counts. Giving them a biological link doesn't change that. It doesn't strengthen it, either, IMO. Why, Show?

I think maybe because Abe was then thrilled to be biologically connected to the person who meant the most to him. Also, it was a gift of sorts for Henry as well, at least in Abe's mind. Abe was worried about Henry being hurt and feeling left out when Abe was feeling so much joy connecting with his extended biological family. So Henry is not left out, and they both have this little extra connection that is a cherry on top of their family sundae.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

I think the blood connection was unnecessary. I didn't see Henry feeling left out or hurt at Abe searching for his biological parents—Henry encouraged it. I think it's a real shame the show felt the adoptive bond wasn't strong enough as is.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Infertility seems to be a standard trope for immortals: Angel and Duncan MacLeod couldn't have kids.

John Amsterdam from "New Amsterdam" was immortal and had quite a few children over the years.  Also in a good movie called "The Man From Earth" the lead character was several thousand years old and had basically given up on keeping track of his children, or really trying to be part of their lives.

I think the blood connection was unnecessary. I didn't see Henry feeling left out or hurt at Abe searching for his biological parents—Henry encouraged it. I think it's a real shame the show felt the adoptive bond wasn't strong enough as is.

I don't think Henry felt hurt - I think ABE was worried he'd be hurt (or feel left out). Yes, Henry encouraged Abe's pursuits.

I think the sentiment is more akin to lovers discovering that they'd actually met or encountered each other as children. This actually happened with the love of my brother's life - turned out he'd gone to the same elementary school  (we were all army brats and moved shortly after) and her sister was born at the same hospital, the same week, as I was.  It didn't change their love or closeness, it was just another confirmation they were meant to be.

In any case, I don't think it was meant to be dismissive about the adoptive bond. But I can understand why you would think so.

• Love 1

I don't think Henry felt hurt - I think ABE was worried he'd be hurt (or feel left out). Yes, Henry encouraged Abe's pursuits.

I agree.

I'm among those who felt it was unnecessary and suggested the adoption bond wasn't strong enough. I wish they would have shown Abe taking an interest in Henry's family as his own. His biological family search could easily have made him interested in finding details Henry hadn't shared with him about the Morgan family. He didn't have to find that they were distantly related, I think it could have been a nice gesture for him to simply show an interest in both sides if they felt they needed to go that way. I get why they played it the way they did, but it really was too unbelievable/unnecessary. LOVED the ending with the quilt and the breakfast bit was fantastic too. 

Someone on a previous page mentioned that Henry had children with Nora.. but I don't remember any mention of them having children. Did I just forget something?

I didn't have a problem with Abe saying he was related to Henry- even if it was distant. For all we know, Abe could have made it up to make Henry feel good-- although maybe not. Or maybe he isn't actually related but he connected the dots that way because he wanted to be related. I don't think its a big deal.

I do hope they explain what happened and why Henry and Abigail never had children.

I know on Highlander that the immortals couldn't have children-- Duncan didn't conceive a child until he became mortal in that horrible movie that was like a bad fanfiction.