Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Noblesse Oblige

Good episode.  Though Sam Elliot was great and his character is a scary guy.  When Boyd told him he did recognize him, I thought he was going to say that he remembered him having a mustache the last time he saw him.

• Love 7

Man, Timothy Olyphant looked mighty fine tonight.

I found it interesting that Rachel was pushing Raylan to do his normal "skirt the rules and get the bad guy" routine while Raylan has been trying to play it straight.

I did enjoy Raylan sticking up for Ava when Rachel and Vasquez were crawling her.  Raylan can bully her but by God he won't stand for his superiors doing it.

The two idiots standing there in the Halloween masks while Rachel and Raylan talk around them was classic Elmore Leonard.

Wynn Duffy and his flesh colored thong were everything.

And Katherine ain't making it out of Harlan alive.

• Love 9

Glad Rachel got to be in this a lot, and is still in the boss' chair.  I just wish that didn't mean that Tim had to be a no-show.  I guess it's some kind of contract thing, where they can only have Erica and Jacob for certain amount of episodes, but I really want to see all three of them again, before we sign out.  But, I love how Rachel and Raylan argue and banter with each other.

Dear Lord, normally a character played by Garrett Dillahunt is always the scariest, but Avery is just something else.  I still think part of it is just Sam Elliot without his mustache makes him look sinister as hell.  I agree with a poster on another website that said he kind of looks like The Grinch.  Freaky.  Really loving Avery and Ty as the baddies, and can't wait to see how Boyd is going to handle this.  And, I have to think Raylan will cross paths with Avery soon.

Loved the scene with Raylan and Rachel confronting the two guys in their masks.  Those morons really thought if they just stayed silent, they couldn't prove anything!

Kind of don't blame Ava for getting plastered.  She still seems to be staying ahead of everything, but shit is getting dangerous with Boyd and now Avery.  Oh, and Choo-Choo.  I swear, I think he totally wanted her to take a ride on the Choo-Choo Train.

Leave it them to bring in Duffy near the end, but have him in a flesh-colored thong, in order to make a lasting impression.  Never change, Duffy.  I'll never tire of his antics.  Or Katherine.  Those two and Boyd, are always fun together.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

Great episode, this season is going to be terrific.

Without getting into too many bits and pieces just going to say the scene with Boyd and Walker at the bar was CLASSIC Justified dialogue of the style which makes it most unique show on TV and amongst the best. Truly going to miss the banter!

• Love 4

This season is scaring the hell out of me already. The menace is off the charts -- Sam Elliot and Garret Dillahunt are beyond any others in the whole series. And everyone else somehow thinks they have and/or can keep the upper hand (except Ava, who is appropriately terrified). This is going to end so badly.

• Love 5

Alan Sepinwall captured my thoughts exactly:

Think about it for a minute: Boyd has over the years gone up against the Miami cartel, Mags Bennett, Robert Quarles, Nikki Augustin and even the Mexican cartel, and this is by far the most scared he has ever looked. That's not an easy thing to pull off without seeming like empty hype for the series' final big bad, but Elliott and Walton Gogins make it work.

I feel a level of personal danger for Boyd and Ava that I've never felt before. 

• Love 6

Alan Sepinwall captured my thoughts exactly:

I feel a level of personal danger for Boyd and Ava that I've never felt before. 

Yeah, I feel like in the other situations, it was a game of chess for him.  He could see the board and the pieces and figure out his next few moves or change course depending upon their move.  This time, he has no idea who he's even playing against so I think he's a little off center. 

• Love 1

I found it interesting that Rachel was pushing Raylan to do his normal "skirt the rules and get the bad guy" routine while Raylan has been trying to play it straight.

Total speculation but I have a bad feeling she's trying to get him to "go all Raylan" on someone so she can take him down along with Boyd.  I will be furious if this is true because I've always liked Rachel and Raylan teamed up and it's been fun when she has fun bending the rules with him.

Without getting into too many bits and pieces just going to say the scene with Boyd and Walker at the bar was CLASSIC Justified dialogue of the style which makes it most unique show on TV and amongst the best. Truly going to miss the banter!

YES!  I could listen to those two talk for hours.  Every time I try to convince someone to watch the show the first thing I say is, "The writing is amazing."  And the second, of course, is, "Timothy Olyphant is crazy handsome and awesome."

I find it weird that they're not giving Ava more time.  Her points about having just been released from prison and being afraid of Boyd seem pretty valid to me.  One false step with Boyd and she'll wind up in the bottom of a mine shaft.  Everyone yelling at her has dealt with Boyd enough over the years to know how dangerous he is--it seems like they could cut her some slack.

• Love 2

From the looks of things at the end of the episode, Boyd's a cunning linguist in more than one area. 

I really, really love the quiet menace of Sam Elliot's character, Avery Markham.  He emasculated Boyd, once again, with words, hitting him where it really hurts, by comparing him to his daddy.

There must be a gif of Wynn Duffy re-hydrating and working that straw somewhere in the world, and I must have it.

So, will Earl let Boyd know about his encounter(s) with Raylan? I hope so.

• Love 1

We don't know what happened to the couple who wouldn't sell to Ty last week -- last we saw, Ty was going approaching their house with rolls of plastic wrap. And all because the guy called Ty a "peacock". Interesting that Avery also described young Boyd as "peacocking".

And yes, the agents need to cut Ava some slack.

I don't quite understand Boyd's fear of Avery. He's human, he'll bleed.

Why did Boyd want a room? Why not just go home after the meet?

• Love 2

I didn't get that either.  The only thing I could think was that he didn't want to leave Ava alone at home or at the bar with creepy Walker and Avery lurking around.  But she could have just sat in the car and waited for him to drive her home so that explanation really doesn't cut it for me.  Maybe they'll still be at the hotel next week and it'll make more sense.

• Love 1

Maybe he knew that Lennie and George aka Seabass and Choo Choo were going to follow him, and he's got bigger plans up his sleeve.  I'd love to see him outsmart both Markham and Katherine, and split the spoils with Wynn Duffy.

• Love 3
OMG Winn Duffy's nude colored tanning thong made this episode!

I can’t unsee that, unfortunately.  Glad we didn’t see him from the back.

Total speculation but I have a bad feeling she's trying to get him to "go all Raylan" on someone so she can take him down along with Boyd.  I will be furious if this is true because I've always liked Rachel and Raylan teamed up and it's been fun when she has fun bending the rules with him.

I don’t recall her bending the rules, but I thought it interesting that, when Boyd said something about getting this all worked out and he’d be fine, her response was “you think that’s how it will work out” (or something like that)?  Rachel seems to think Raylan won’t get out in one piece.  And she’s a bright woman.

• Love 1

I don’t recall her bending the rules, but I thought it interesting that, when Boyd said something about getting this all worked out and he’d be fine, her response was “you think that’s how it will work out” (or something like that)?  Rachel seems to think Raylan won’t get out in one piece.  And she’s a bright woman.

I was thinking of season 4 when Rachel went off with Raylan to help him recover the cash his bartender girlfriend stole--that he wasn't allowed to have.  She offered to call in sick to keep tooling around with him.  And then later on in the same season when they went up to Nobles to find Ellen May, Raylan talked Rachel into going with him to pester Boyd and leaving Tim to deal with the search.  Maybe it's not so much of Rachel bending the rules as it is her enabling Raylan in his Raylanness.  Which I guess she's still trying to do but it seems like there's an ulterior motive now when before it seemed like she was just having fun running around with him.

• Love 1

Bringing over what I have posted this elsewhere.  The dialogue this episode was outstanding. Rather than just a series of glib one-liners, which bothered me a lot about the last couple of seasons, the dialogue- in sync with the acting-  was crisp, substantive, moved the plot, exposed motivations/emotions/personal conflicts, sometimes all at once.  Rachel sounded like a real person, not just someone speaking lines writers put in her mouth to suggest character.

I had been expecting a Chinatown reference sooner or later, and I was not disappointed. Actually, this will be at least the fourth Chinatown movie reference in the series.  Sam Elliot's character is starting to remind me of John Huston's character in that movie.  Don't yet know what Mr Peacock (Ty) and Mr Sans-Moustache (Avery) want to run through Harlan for whatever purpose,  but in the movie the buying up of land in LA + murders + other dirty dealings was for the purpose of diverting water to buy ''..the future, Mr Gittes!" [pronounced Mr Gids by  Huston's character, Noah Cross].  The movie references give me all kinds of ideas for speculations about the direction of some plot elements and Ava.  BTW, Chinatown is in my top 5 of favorite movies.

So many references to babies; I wonder if Ava might get pregnant (intentionally or not) after showing Boyd who she really is, which might certainly contribute to her longevity, at least as far as Boyd is concerned.

If only TimO would cut down on that constant tick of holding out his right arm while rubbing his thumb and forefinger together. Maybe he intends it as a character tick, but it is now so constant it is starting to wear thin.

I also found it curious that Avery went on to Boyd about knowing him since he was knee high to a grasshopper, Boyd being too young to remember, which places Markham in Harlan at the time all of them (Boyd, Raylan, maybe Ava sometime later) were growing small. I can imagine him having some criminal doings with Crowder senior and maybe eve Arlo.  But could there be more?  Inquiring minds want to know.   I found his little sit down with Ava very creepy. 

"Forget it Raylan.....it's Harlan.."

• Love 1

I thought about Ava getting pregnant too, with all the baby talk in the air. I somehow think she'll still end up on Boyd's side- I think she may have been sincere with her wanting to run away talk, and she doesn't like how Raylan and the marshals are treating her.

• Love 1

Wynn Duffy and his flesh colored thong were everything

Okay, this FTW.

And coming in at second place (though only by a nose) is:

Forget it Raylan.....it's Harlan.."

I still love this show and always will.  But my gripe continues to be the same as always. If you're going to waste characters like Tim and Wynn and Rachel, I'm not sure that doubling down and bringing in more fun characters to waste is the remedy.  Scott Grimes is incredibly talented, but honestly, he could have phoned in all he's been given to do so far.  On the other hand, Choo Choo is pretty well cracking me up.  He really is kind of convinced he's just the man.  Doesn't seem to have any awareness that others around him might have one or two IQ points on him, poor baby.

The last thing I remember seeing Sam Elliot in without his mustache was 'the Contender' and he played a seriously scary guy in that.  There's a scene in that where he yells, really loud and really mean, at Joan Allen's character, and a single tear slides down her face in response.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was unscripted and  just happened as a result of being screamed at by that character.  It almost made me cry just watching it.  Seeing Boyd (seemingly) reduced to a scared, scraping toadie was absurdly unnerving.  Well played, show.     

• Love 1

Boyd grovelled like that because Ava was in danger, you can bet he's coming back at Elliot with full vengeance and some emulex will be involved one way or another. Also note the way both Raylon and Boyd have now been dismissive of Ty Walker i.e. openly looked down on him as lackey. Ty's going to kill one of the long time characters on the show, I cant decide whether it will be Tim or Wynn.

• Love 3

Also I like how rough they are being on Ava (the Feds i mean). She is murderess criminal like any of the others, deserves to be raked over the coals given the situation. I mean she's the CI and Boyd blew up another bank without a scrap of intel beforehand coming from her. She SHOULD go back to jail if she doesnt start producing, that's the way it needs to work, and it's that pressure which will get her to keep taking the chances necessary to incriminate Boyd.

You can already see they are going to run this til the last second, does she turn on Boyd or alight with him at the end? Right now I'd love to see Ava and Boyd with a suitcase filled with $1mill and one way tickets to Brazil...but I highly, highly doubt that;s how it unfolds.

• Love 1

Oh man.  Shit just got so real last night.  You just know it's bad when Boyd is scared to death.  But then, on the other hand, scared Boyd is something to reckon with.  I predict he'll at least blow up Choo Choo and Ty. 

I hate Sam Elliott's top lip.

• Love 1

I hated the idea of Sam Elliot in this show without his iconic mustache and I hated seeing him without it last episode. In this episode, though? It was perfect and made him look (like another poster already mentioned) sinister. He'd be too darn likable with it. His upper lip is almost beak-like, and makes him look kind of reptilian. He's almost unrecognizable from The Stranger in The Big Lebowski or Eagleton Ron, except for his (equally iconic) voice. Kudos (as usual) to Walt Goggins for really selling the fear and respect when in Elliot's presence. <br /><br />Wynn Duffy, man, it's hilarious that dude is still alive. Doesn't have the instincts for "the game" like Boyd or Raylan or a number of other characters, but he recognizes opportunity and seizes it like few others.

• Love 2

We don't know what happened to the couple who wouldn't sell to Ty last week -- last we saw, Ty was going approaching their house with rolls of plastic wrap. And all because the guy called Ty a "peacock". Interesting that Avery also described young Boyd as "peacocking".

And yes, the agents need to cut Ava some slack.

I don't quite understand Boyd's fear of Avery. He's human, he'll bleed.

Concerning Boyd's fear of Avery - it is worthy of examination as was his response afterwards. 

While I love Boyd as a character, he was very much scared as he sat in that room with Avery and Walker.  If he wasn't, it would not have been authentic.

Boyd is at his bar.  He comes out the backroom and the next he knows he is tied to a column in a barn with no possible way to defend himself as two men in ski masks stand there.  At that moment, he has no idea of he will live or die.  He only knows he is completely powerless.  The man holds the knife in front of him and Boyd can do nothing.  Then Ava is brought up.  It is made clear she will be mutilated if Boyd does anything wrong again.

So Boyd is put in a position of complete powerlessness, knows in that moment he has zero control of whether he will live and die in the next minute or so, then is advised that Ava's recon was seen through, her relationship to Boyd is known, and she will have her looks destroyed next time. 

Boyd than arrives at Ava's and it is evident Avery and Walker are waiting for him.  Avery doesn't scream or yell.  He doesn't lose his temper.  He calmly with easy confidence tells Boyd and Ava they will die if they enter the portal again.  And why is this threat so much scarier.  Because Avery and Walker could have killed Boyd and could have killed Ava without any problem.  Boyd had nothing he could offer to protect his life or Ava's.  Yet Avery and Walker decided to let them live.

The difference between Boyd and Ava here is Boyd is very much of the ego.  He cannot stand how scared and powerless he was.  Ava could care less about that.  She just does not want to die. 

As for Sam Elliott's face, I don't care.  It is the acting that is exciting to me. 

• Love 3

I think he is, but I'm worried that he might accidentally kill someone, oops I broke her/his neck :(

Perhaps, and it is also possible that the neck ChooChoo breaks is Walker's, if ChooChoo believes that Ava is in imminent danger from Walker and Ava had pretended to seduce ChooChoo at some point, getting him to believe that he has a chance with her.  Of course Choo could get his ticket punched first.  If Ava is restrained in some way, and ChooChoo is (foolishly) left to guard her, she can use this type of ruse to try to get Choo to free her.

• Love 1

My lines of the night were Boyd's in the bar while he's trying to eat his burger.  I won't quote the entire thing but he says that, due to his hangover, he doesn't have the bandwidth for casual conversation "so what say we get to it."  This entire scene was a writer's dream.

• Love 2

I noticed that we are seeing Boyd's swatstika tattoo a lot this season.  I don't recall seeing it much after the first season.  I'm guessing that's a deliberate choice to remind the viewers that Boyd is an evil man capable of anything.  

• Love 4

I noticed that we are seeing Boyd's swatstika tattoo a lot this season.  I don't recall seeing it much after the first season.  I'm guessing that's a deliberate choice to remind the viewers that Boyd is an evil man capable of anything.  

I like this.  A symbolic peeling of the layers, if you will.  I hope we see a gradual shift from buttoned up Boyd to Wild Eyed Boyd as the season progresses. 

• Love 4

I hate that damn swastika, but any time they want to have Body sorry I mean Boyd peel down to bare arms is strictly okay with me. Yow.

Sorry, back to the point, not just showing the swastika more, but having Boyd kill pitiful Dewey in a previous episode – they’re doing a good job reminding us that Boyd’s not a good person.  But then, neither is Raylon, really, at this point.  I’ve heard many people say that the psychological difference between the average criminal and the average cop is often negligible.  I’d say this show has become rather a good illustration of that.

• Love 3

Boyd would have come to Ava's armed and set up with other men if he thought it was all on the line right then. IMHO, he went and prostrated before Sam Elliot because the fact they didnt kill Boyd when they had the chance meant they were just looking to receive exactly what Boyd gave them- apologies and promises to stay out of their business. If they had any real intention to hurt Ava then Boyd would have already been dead. That doesnt mean they wouldnt have killed Boyd and Ava had he shown up all blustery and making demands, but I think he knew all that was required to extricate Ava from the situation was his own supplication which he did. Now that Ava is safe, Boyd's goal as he said is basically to rob and kill them all full stop. Gotta love it haha 

• Love 3
I feel a level of personal danger for Boyd and Ava that I've never felt before

.I kind of put Raylan in that group, too.  This episode had the second reference to his death.  I don't remember the exact wording of the reference last week, but, there in the family cemetery scene this week, his own tombstone is prominently shown with just the birth date.

Man, those two morons in the robbery attempt were moronic morons.  I was laughing all the way through that.  He thought he was going to shoot his way out of it.Kid, do you not know anything at all about Raylan Givens and his predilection for shooting first, fast, and accurate?

Ava might just be better off back in prison.

ETA:  Absolutely loved Markham saying to Boyd:  "You want pizza?  Order in.  I'll have it here in 30 minutes or it's free."

Edited by Dowel Jones

To the guy who mentioned how good the dialogue was, I wanted to point out that it's Benjamin Cavell. All his episodes are written like this. He knows the characters backwards and writes them with a Tarantinoesque flourish.

"Just because there were two of 'em doesn't mean there's two of 'em."

Damn I'm a sucker for that stuff. I look for him every season. Listening to his dialogue is like eating a big bowl of ice cream (or something you like if you don't like ice cream, but who doesn't like ice cream?).

Edited by Swaig
  • Love 6

I did love the two dumb asses in the masks just standing there talking to Raylan and Rachel, with the masks still on. This show has some wonderfully idiotic characters. None will take Dewey's place though.

I am worried also about who is going to get killed, you could feel it throughout the episode. Ava, Boyd, Raylan, Tim, Rachel someone is going to get it soon.

Seeing Winn in his thong, it was like a car accident you really don't want to see it but can't look away!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 1

Dear Lord, normally a character played by Garrett Dillahunt is always the scariest, but Avery is just something else.

OMG this season is great.  This episode was one of the best of the series IMO.  The dialogue was fantastic.

How do you top Avery's scene with Boyd - you put Wynn in thong. Nobody puts Wynn in a corner.  Wynn may not be in many scenes but he is always memorable. 

• Love 1